QuickBooks Reviews

QuickBooks

Accounting & business management for small businesses

4.2/5 (329 reviews)

Good for small companies with limited transactions

Reviewed on 2018/06/15
Review Source

Pros

Online accessibility - can work anywhere with an internet connection. Linking to bank and credit card accounts is handy. Linking to Bill.com and Expensify are also easy.

Cons

As a controller and an accountant consultant on the side, I would recommend the online version to small businesses with fewer than 5-10 employees and revenues under $1 million that have very few transactions. For companies that have multiple approval layers and AP invoices, you would need an add on app like Bill.com to handle. We use Expensify and Bill.com to handle expense reporting and AP. QuickBooks Enterprise edition would be a better fit for companies with more than a million in sales and more than 10 employees, but costs can add up on that platform.
-Approval levels are very broad. If I want to allow someone to add classes, I have to give them access to banking and reports that are only for partners to see. Further a la carte customization for permissions would certainly be handy.
-Speed - even with high speed internet, processing multiple AP invoices is very slow compared to the desktop counterpart.
-Accounting integration - when allowing accountants access to the company file, downloading the GL needs to go to excel. If the GL is large, it may exceed the line limit for Excel.
-Some reports are unable to use the custom fields. This creates problems when the custom fields are critical. in our case, we can't run a report of payments received that includes project numbers. In order to get that report, I need to use Zapier to extract payments as they come in and send them to a google sheet. So the only listing I have for payments listed with our custom fields is in Google sheets!

Paul A.

Affordable, full service payroll

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

As an Intuit ProAdvisor, full service payroll is an added value to the reselling of a discounted QuickBooks Online account. As an additional service to my retainer clients, I can process their payroll on any interval they choose, and I can handle any type of compensation arrangement they have with their employees. The best part is, it only takes a few minutes and I can do it all effortlessly through the mobile app. And since the ability to pay independent contractors via direct deposit was introduced, my Bookkeeping clients love the fact that they no longer have to worry about writing out checks to their contractors. Filing Forms W-2 (for employees) and Forms 1099-MISC (for independent contractors) is a breeze at the end of the year and paying all their quarterly payroll taxes takes only a few minutes every three months.

Pros

Cost is much less expensive than any payroll services company. Direct deposit payments, employee portals, Form W-2 and Form 1099-MISC filing, quarterly tax filing, electronic tax payments, direct deposit payments for independent contractors, powerful and customizable financial reporting, easy collection of Form W-9 information, reliable mobile app for process payroll from anywhere, support for multiple pay rates, benefits and withholding support, and more.

Cons

QuickBooks Payroll is available for both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts. With QuickBooks Online, you are dependent on the availability of an Internet connection at the time you wish to process payroll.

Xena B.

effortless book keeping

Reviewed on 2018/08/30

experience with payroll is really cool, the software actually calculate the holdings and make life easy for me, definitely a robo accountant that i don't have to pay a salary to.
Over all experience : just love it and wish i had it from the beginning of my business. For new users, make use of support. Don't hesitate to call , ask questions , ask again if you have to they will walk you through it. Like i say be dumb and learn it . take the time to do so because the end result is amazing . knowing your finances is straight can save your life. aka....sleep well .

Pros

it keep track of your income and expenses by simply attaching your bank account.
almost does your tax return. lol
save a lot of time doing your data entry thus cost effective, no need for a special person to enter all your receipts etc
keep correct info on all money related transaction and balance your check book , can keep your spending and saving on check. I can make adjustments by just looking at my balance sheet. almost cool for idiots to use. :)
perfect

Cons

if i made a mistake and had to go hunting for the problem, but i can just call up support and let them know ( how stupid i was ) and they just fix it. so not really a con.
for invoicing however , can take a little polishing up especially if i am doing an estimate and need to send it out, i must be extra cautious.

Miguel F.

Service your clients w/o the headache!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/06/03

Wonderful experience. Allows me to do my routine bookkeeping or clean-up jobs in a timely and more efficient way with the inclusion of the Accountants Toolbox. Though the move to the cloud is all the rage, some businesses and industries still like the power of QBDT. So QB Accountant allows me to still bring them my high level of accounting expertise.

Pros

The ability to be able to serve your clients without the headache of worrying what package or QB year they are currently working with. Without QBA package, in order for you to open a company file you and your client had to be working in the same QBDT year. For example, QB 2015 file had to be opened by QB 2015. QB Accountant solves that problem. Also, QB Accountant provide accounting professionals with an Accountants Toolbox that isn't available for your typical users. This unlocks and allows accountants and bookkeeper to perform duties, tasks, and shortcuts to a clients books in a cleaner or efficient manner.

Cons

The only aspect I don't care for is not having the option for Quickbooks Accountants for Mac. Inuit doesn't offer a package for accounting professionals that are Mac users. Though not currently a Mac user, I am in the market for a new laptop with a Apple possibility being in the picture. So when I reached out to Inuit, they informed me that QBDTA is not compatible with Mac machines.

Jeff H.

Invaluable for QBO ProAdvisors

Reviewed on 2018/06/19

I have all my clients in one place and can easily switch from one to another with just a few clicks.

Pros

The team behind QBOA is constantly listening and improving the product. It makes my life so much easier to have all my clients int he same place. I can schedule my own work with reminders and to-do list for both me and my clients. The added feature of having my clients files at a click of a button in priceless. I also appreciate the ability to add non-QBO clients now.

Cons

Sometimes the interface and/or the links don't work for the training and ProAdvisor page. These don't have anything to do with the client files just resources for me but it can be annoying at times. I also have my doubts the info regarding the profile views and leads from prospective clients is accurate.

Whitey R.

Useful for starting out, not a long-term solution

Reviewed on 2018/08/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We have two companies, one is 4 years old, there other is 1.5, it was the perfect option for starting out on our iMac computers. I do feel that we've outgrown at this point, but you cannot beat the price for start-up accounting needs.

Pros

Very easy to use! It tracks everything we needed for our two companies (transportation / warehouse logistics and commercial equipment repair). Seamless for reconciling credit cards and bank accounts, easy general journal entries (year end, interest adjustments, etc), progress invoicing and job costing.

Cons

After a couple years of use and many transactions, the file becomes unreliable. Customer support said we need to start a new company file each year to avoid broken data (spent many hours on the phone with support multiple times)

Lori J.

Great potential!

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

When it's all working, it's great!

Pros

I use the Enhanced Payroll and it works really good. Keeps track of your payroll liabilities, and allows you to pay them online through Quick Books, which is great when it works.

Cons

We switched bank accounts, and it was a nightmare trying to switch all of the payroll direct deposit stuff over. In addition, someone in the office picked up the wrong state for withholding and unemployment and we still have't been able to get rid of it. Just like with Quick Books, if you have a problem and call customer service, plan on several hours with them. They are not quick and often transfer you around before you can finally find someone who can help.

6.0/10
Alexandra R.

Great software to have as a tool!

Reviewed on 2018/03/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

After having a bad experience with Account Edge, we decided to turn to Quickbooks for a refreshing, good system that we could rely on. After using it for sometime, it's been probably the best accounting/payroll/invoicing/estimating program we've had so far. Everything is very simple, user-friendly and not too technical.

Cons

One issue we've had with the program has been, trying to give access to new users is a very hard task to come across. As simple as it sounds, we still haven't managed to get a new user linked to our account to do more work. I've been sharing my ADMIN account which is not advised because not everybody should have the same access.

Tyler H.

Integrates with the field management software I use

Reviewed on 2019/03/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It's great. It has a very clean interface. It also integrates with my field management software, which allows me to invoice from the other software & track everything in QB. The mac application is very user friendly.

Cons

I like to view my top customers each quarter. When doing this, I have to clean up the reports from QB myself. The downloaded files use formulas to generate values for customers with subcustomers. This creates a problem when you want to sort the list in order of highest to lowest amounts. So, I have to manually type in the totals on each master customer account before sorting.

Jonathan T.

Great for keeping your books in line!

Reviewed on 2017/12/21
Review Source

Pros

I love the connectivity that QB has with other 3rd party applications that I use. I love the ability to see my clients and their balances with ease. I love the reports that you can build with QB. I also love that you can have separate users with separate access to the application.

Cons

Sometimes installation is a bit of a challenge. Setting up some of the features can be a hassle that requires contacting support and having them control my machine to fix the errors. I don't like that there is a new version every year because I get comfortable with the version that I have then something changes.

Cece S.

QuickBooks has stepped up their game!

Reviewed on 2018/08/22

Pros

This software is VERY easy to use and navigate. The data input screens are very clear, concise and flexible. I think the flexibility of this software is my favorite thing about it. I also love that I can toggle and use other industry specific versions of QuickBooks. This is an AWESOME feature.

Cons

I guess the only thing I am not loving is the need for a complex password for every client. This is quite cumbersome and a relatively new requirement that I am less than pleased with. As an accountant, I will use QB for several clients every day. To enter a password every time is a pain.

Philip caplan - the C.

One of the best

Reviewed on 2017/08/09
Review Source

We've been using QB desktop for years and loved, in particular, the reporting functionality.
The Cloud version carries on the successes of the desktop version. But, while there are similarities, it is another program and will take a little time to fully master.

Pros

Reporting functionality
Bank feeds, a specific model for QB.
Full specced and lots of apps.

Cons

Not always quite clear where various functions are located.

Daniel S.

Fantastic Product

Reviewed on 2018/04/30
Review Source

Pros

What isn't to like? No matter if someone is a seasoned accountant, or a person new to accounting just starting their business, Quickbooks is very intuitive. Yes there are competitors, even free ones, but they do not compare to the functionality offered in this program. Best program and most intuitive accounting program I've ever used, hands down.

Cons

The only thing that I'm not fond of is the high cost of the online version as each separate company requires a different subscription which can get expensive. With that said, however, it is a fantastic program.

Nivaldo I.

Version 2019

Reviewed on 2019/01/31

Version for 2019 has problems at the time to print Bank reconciliations. Even that I was calling the Customer Services, and they try to fix the problems, for more than 2 hours, they can't. But doesn't means that they were not diligent, they put all efforts, but I need to look for external person to fix it.
I will recommend for a new version to wait until all bugs be fixed. I bought in December 2018, probably this is the cause that I found those problems. On the other hand 2019 version is a little slow when you are using firewall, but you can work.

Pros

As usual Quickbooks met all the expectations

Cons

Withe 2019 version I had some problems at the time to print the bank reconciliations

Grant S.

Quickbooks Used to be a Necessary Evil.

Reviewed on 2018/01/17
Review Source

Pros

Quickbooks is a robust system that can support a lot of different types of business. I used the desktop version for many years, and for the past 3 years have used the subscription service. The SaaS version is a big upgrade, but it still has a lot of issues. I do really like the ability to link to my bank account and automatically sort transactions. This has saved me a lot of time.

Cons

The main issues with Quickbooks seem to stem for a lack of leadership around product decisions. They support many different types of the software, and this makes it next to impossible to integrate with Quickbooks. Legacy issues have plagued the ability to integrate software with Quickbooks and this has had a real impact on users. The most common issue is duplicate imports of banking transactions. I have wasted a lot of time trying to identify duplicates created by the system instead of true purchases.

5.0/10

The ideal program to advance accounting

Reviewed on 2018/04/20

Among the benefits that I obtained when using QuickBooks is the quick analysis of invoices and past transactions, the export to Excel format, allows to establish the memorized transactions for recurring billing, invoices and estimates, organization of documents by joining the clients with your invoices and files. It also includes a new Prospects Center, in which sales opportunities are tracked, employee and supplier report sheets can be created and processed, and separate monitoring of each department of the company can also be carried out. .

Pros

Quickbooks, allows you to save a lot of time, money and effort, while minimizing the chances of error in the tasks that have to do with this specific area. It is very efficient and easy to use and install. It's all you need to keep your accounting up to date.

Cons

This software is very complete, you do not need to be an IT expert to install or use it. There is not something that you really do not like.

Kozhi M.

Quickbook for Mac different than PC version

Reviewed on 2017/04/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Generally easy functionality. While an online version seems great, a desktop version means access everywhere. For someone running a mobile business, it's important to have that real-time information handy.

Cons

Features that are on the PC version and not on the Mac version. For instance, payroll is online for the Mac version and you don't see payroll paychecks as you can on PC. This is a very disappointing fact, since there is really no difference in platform that Intuit can't fix that

7.0/10

Quickbooks; An essential

Reviewed on 2018/02/22
Review Source

Pros

Have been using quickbooks for quite some time now as I am a small business accountant, it is amazing for book-keeping, no other application comes close even by a margin. An essential for book-keepers or even if you want to keep track of sales, invoices, cost analysis in a small-business setting.

Cons

On the expensive side, quickbooks online is lacking and not being able to hit the "enter" key severely impacts workflow, but non-the-less a solid bulletproof app.

Beth M.

Powerful accounting software - not always easy to use, but very powerful.

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

Pros

QB Accountant allows us to open client QB files and work with them easily. It can deal with industry versions and older QB versions as well.

Cons

QB isn't always intuitive, and people get themselves in trouble by guessing about how transactions should be booked. Ultimately, it does what you tell it, and that can be good or bad. Sometimes, it's smarter than you think it should be, and makes adjustments that are unexpected, even if technically correct.

Zach F.

Desktop Version Has Pros and Cons

Reviewed on 2017/08/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I have spent much more time with the online version for one of my companies(I have multiple people needing to see and work on accounting), however, with multiple other internal only accounting businesses, the desktop version works well enough to not pay multiple online subscriptions for each company.

Pros

You can use multiple companies with one license. It is relatively easy to switch from company to company.
It's free to down load transactions from your bank account.
Much cheaper, onetime purchase.

Cons

Downloading transactions from your bank account doesn't match up super accurately, especially if you have a lot of open invoices. It can be a little clunky to get around.
Looking at what transactions have matched to downloaded transactions isn't possible, as far as I can tell.
Reports aren't as easy to use as the online version.

7.0/10

Bookkeeping for non-accountants

Reviewed on 2018/11/13
Review Source

Pros

I'm clueless when it comes to keeping our books and so the ease of use in QBO is really helpful. If I don't know what to do, I can find an article to tell me how or get someone from their tech staff on the phone to help. It's easy for accountants to log into our account too once we grant them access. I like the ease of processing payments, invoices, and receipts, as well as running reports on how we're doing. Quickbooks online a lot better than the offline version of the software.

Cons

Some features need some accounting knowledge, I will say. Mainly if you don't know how to file a charge or something it doesn't tell you waht to do, but once you know (or learn from the CPA) the features are easy to use in the program.

Jeffrey a C.

QuickBooks Accountant

Reviewed on 2019/01/15

Outstanding!

Pros

It provides a tool to manage a business for your clients as well as your own firm. It is always adding improvements to the software. Now it is on line which resolves a lot of issues with security due to the security that QuickBooks Accountant

Cons

Sometime the mange of a unique accounting issue but in the end quickBooks Accountant come through with a resolution.

Sara F.

The Online Version of QuickBooks Is AMAZING!

Reviewed on 2017/03/28
Review Source

Pros

As a small nonprofit, the ability to collaborate with our contracted accountant, auditor, and board treasurer virtually has been incredible. This central access for many of us has transformed our accounting practices including our payroll.

Cons

It was a little difficult at first to set up payroll tax payment processing but once we figured it out with customer service, it's been smooth sailing.

Shelby O.

Great software for small business

Reviewed on 2018/03/28
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Quickbooks is great for small businesses. I used this at a construction company business and at a dental sleep medicine office. We did not use their payroll feature. I really liked that it was always up to date and saving your work constantly.

Cons

It can be a complex software to use. I felt very overwhelmed at first due to all of the detail in the software.

6.0/10
Victor A.

Quick Books Amazing Desktop & Cloud-Based Solution

Reviewed on 2018/03/20
Review Source

Pros

Easy to install, efficient from the report standpoint, friendly user, integrates with third party apps, diversity of versions allowing to select and adapt features to the business needs from a General business perspective to an specialized business field whole sale distribution. For small business is cost affordable gets complex with large scale environments

Cons

It has limitations for large company or enterprises that can be handled using Quick Books Platinum / Enterprise the company files can get corrupted if the solution is not well set up as a multi-user access to company files that needs to be share or used in large scale.
The TCO can raise up the budget bar.