Yammer

Industry: Staffing & Recruiting
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

I am a Yammer junkie!

Reviewed on 2019/12/12

Yammer allows me to communicate with every single layer of our company - from recruiters to the CEO, president, etc. It has allowed me to network with other people whom I may not have connected with otherwise.

Pros

Yammer is VERY easy to learn, very easy to use, organized and provides TONS of features!! I can message others, post in groups and even create my own groups. I didn't have to read any instructions in order to do any of this either! Very user friendly.

Cons

I honestly have not found anything I didn't like about Yammer. I wish we used this in every role I was in!

Tawanda S.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Team collaboration enabler offering endless possibilities

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

It was so confusing at first and I was nearly tempted to quit and unsubscribe, However, overtime I got the hang of it and my team appreciate it

Pros

I like that it is simplified and its quiet easy to use even for the newbies. The tiling of feeds according to subject and relevance makes it easier to get the best out of. Ideas flow unabated and team members can quickly share productive information.

Cons

I would like to see Yammer filtering the messages and feeds posted so that only relevant information is retained for future reference

Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Firmwide engagement and collaboration through a single product

Reviewed on 2020/09/22

A strong tool to support employee engagement efforts and drive digital communications in a timely manner. Also helps to 'humanise' messages through the use of Reactions, GIFs, and/or emojis

Pros

The ability for leadership to engage with staff in an immediate and authentic manner and get real-time feedback for their messages.

Cons

The lack of mature community management tools to tackle unprofessional user behaviour. The most recent update allowing users to Report Conversations lacks the ability to apply HTML styles to the process text.

Raghavendar N.

Unique Social network for corporates

Reviewed on 2019/02/24

We have used this for solution seeking where we put our request or query and we get response with what people know about it or sometime we get perfect solution too.

Apart from work related, we also share the cool pics related to the happening or team events or festivals celebration.

Also, polls are conducted to seek the feedback from colleagues about new change in the company or changes that is needed.

Pros

We have Office365 at our company, next to Skype the other app that is extensively used is Yammer for collaboration.

We can switch this seamlessly across our Laptop & phone apps. Yammer is social network within the company. Everyone is member as soon as they join and we have different groups where we are free to join. But default, based on our department we are tagged to parent groups and we can view the updates and share our feedback just like Facebook.

We can create new groups based on the need and invite people or tag them to get their attention. The biggest advantage of this app is your voice is reached to thousands in minutes and you may get feedback from top skipping the hierarchies.

So easy to connect and easy to use and make an effective use for networking across the colleagues

Cons

User Interface is not rich and looks and feels needs improvement. Not sure but it hangs for me quite number of times. Also, little difficult to search for a post or feed. It becomes more confusing once more and more groups are created.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Janice W.
Industry: Building Materials
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Best purpose is for sending bulletins to a community group

Reviewed on 2020/08/07

This is really more of a stay-connected tool for our company. Different functions, locations, or even hobby groups keep in touch here. Especially with more people working remotely, forums like Yammer are needed to share photos and stories to keep employees engaged and feeling a sense of community.

Pros

This is a great software for sharing random stories with a group in your organization. We have thousands in our organization. One of the Yammer "communities" of my organization is the entire company. It is enjoyable to read posts from others in our organization all around the world. It is more general or light-hearted news that is shared here, such as community service activities, industry trends, inspirational words from upper management. It makes us feel connected.

Another way I use Yammer is that all of the hundreds of customer support team members are part of a "community". So when there are important customer service software updates, issues, outages, etc. , this is an easy way for leadership to communicate that information to all of us. And bulletins are all stored here, so if you missed update information from six months ago, you have a place to go to find it.

Cons

It seems there should be an administrator of Yammer within a company. It is a bit disorganized because anyone can create a new community. If an employee wanted to create a community that didn't align with the company's values, there should be administrative control of the process.

Yammer social network

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

I use Yammer every day for collaboration with my colleagues.

Pros

1. It works pretty fast. Usually Microsoft products are slow but not Yammer.
2. It includes many features you can find in other social networks.
3. It works with different operation systems (I use it with Windows only).

Cons

1. Wiki pages stopped working a few times. I don't know why.
2. UI is pretty old. I think it should be updated.

Amanda G.

Fun!

Reviewed on 2020/09/22

I really loved using yammer. It was fun and easy to use.

Pros

Yammer is a really great tool for companies. It’s very similar to social media, but for business. Easy place to store files as well.

Cons

I do not have many complaints about yammer. I suppose there could be a more organized way of storing files.

Industry: Financial Services

easy to use communication tool

Reviewed on 2020/09/25

I use Yammer to share Financial Services updates with my team and also any updates to internal processes

Pros

The perfect tool for setting up work channels. Easy to use, ability to create a number of different groups, can be linked through Microsoft Teams which is a great bonus.

Cons

Although Yammer can be linked through Teams I don't seem to be able to set up the same notifications as for Teams chats

Steven M.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Facebook without the features

Reviewed on 2019/05/22

It was difficult to search for previous discussions, find things you like, and find popular topics that had been liked by others. It is not as instant as instant chat programs and it's not as easy to search as online message boards. It seems to have a foot in both of those doors and not really commit to either one.

Pros

The best thing about Yammer was that it was simple. You can easily create a topic and post responses to that topic. For those that use Facebook, Yammer is very easy to pick-up. Also like Facebook, Yammer is good for in the moment shares and discussions.

Cons

The interface was very plain and gave a very cheap impression. It was very difficult to archive or refer back to conversations. If a conversation tree had happened more than a week or more prior it was almost better to start the discussion up again than to try to go through and find the history.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

A Message Board in the age of Facebook

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020/07/28

I think that the nostalgic idea of a message board for the business world may have had good intentions, but the current culture does not support it. It's also not necessary with how frequently people are utilizing email and other forms of communication like chat/im and video conferencing. Yammer is, unfortunately, just another thing that we have to "check" on instead of having that information delivered directly to us.

Pros

Yammer allows people with similar interests and/or work groups to interact in a business-friendly environment. It's fairly easy to use and integrated with Microsoft 365.

Cons

Yammer is a glorified Facebook. It makes it too easy to bring the Facebook culture into the workplace. It seems like a product that was made with Millenials in mind, but is geared more toward the opinionated, over-sharing crowd that utilizes Facebook on a daily basis.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Industry: Writing & Editing

A Great Means to an End

Reviewed on 2018/11/24

Yammer has been so amazing at allowing the freelance workforce to come together and really discuss current issues and information about the work. Otherwise, we'd all be so isolated and unable to work together to enhance the finished product of transcripts. That information share is so, so important to not only get the best work to the client, but also to learn more and advance individually in the field. It links me to fellow transcriptionists and gives the human contact that makes up a huge portion of actually being to tolerate long hours of work. So thumbs-up, Yammer.

Pros

I use Yammer to link to fellow employees of Transcribeme. So far, Yammer has been extremely easy to navigate and I have not seen any glitches during my two years working with it. Yammer uses columns to organize your different feeds which helps with clarity. In a quick sweep of my feed, I can see the app directory, any new activity in all my groups, suggested managment or key team members to follow on Yammer, etc. It allows me to get live updates fast and easy so that I always know what is happening with the company I freelance transcribe for.

I like that Yammer allows each company to tailor it's virtual work atmosphere to it's own needs. When I became a freelance transcriptionist, I was really worried about the isolation that comes with the online work. Yammer, though, seems to have completely changed that for me and the rest of the Transcribeme team, I think. Easy information share and very socially oriented, Yammer is a great app for the work-at-home crowd.

Cons

All the positives said, I think Yammer could work on it's design. Maybe it needs some modern touches and perhaps more social features. An amazing app that brings work-at-home people together could always do with more social features ie. a live-chat feature, customizable themes, more inviting interface because it's really important to catch the attention of freelancers so that they are more apt to frequent the site.

Deba O.
Industry: Oil & Energy

Good content sharing tool which is underutilized because there are a lot of alternatives

Reviewed on 2019/04/15

Yammer has helped us reduce the number of intracompany emails and also reduced the number of meetings since we all can collaborate within it.

Pros

Yammer is like a social media tool for workers in my company to interact with each other. We tried it out in 2016 and we never looked back. Company update can be sent to all members just like using an email, while documents, images and videos can be shared within it. It is cheap, sign up is free and have good customer support. You can easily join a group or create a group depending on what you want.
Yammer helped me find information and get help by reading articles that were written by experts on difficult jobs within the organization. I only have to search for it.
Yammer made me more productive with timely useful conversations and interaction from my colleague across the company best hands. I could also easily see what is happening within the organization at all times because of the synchronized updates. I can use yammer even when am out of the office because of their Android app.
Additionally, Yammer works very well with office 365 which is not a surprise since it is built by Microsoft.

Cons

Yammer is too strict on 3rd party adverts within their platform.
It is not widely popular and people just tend to disregard it.
The learning curve for yammer use to be very low but recent additions and innovations somehow made it a bit steep for newbies.
yammer work more like a social media platform rather a corporate tool with the many innovations been added to it
The interface is too rigid for my liking. (personal dislike but my colleagues absolutely loved it)

Katherine P.
Industry: Insurance

Yammer Review

Reviewed on 2019/06/17

Really enjoy using this tool!

Pros

My organization has been using this product for a few years now. It's a great communication tool for the company as a whole and within each department. As part of the Learning & Development department, we use Yammer to communicate training results and also send out quizzes to each department to test their knowledge.

The tool is really easy to use, it reminds me a lot of Facebook in that it has a feed that you can scroll through daily to get updates.

You can also create different pages and make them public or private depending on your need, which I find really useful. My team has created their own page and made it private. We use it to recognize people within the department on achievements, our manager sends out monthly stats and we also use it communicate information to each other.

I really like the GIF feature, it definitely brings the humor to some situations!

Cons

It is sometimes hard to keep up with everything going on, especially if you are a member of many groups/pages. And if you put your notifications on so you get an email every time something is posted, it can be overwhelming at times.

Joshua M.
Industry: Printing

A Unique Blend of Social and Business Collaboration Platform

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/04/10

I think my overall experience with Yammer is functional - yet, under-utilized. It provides and interesting social space within the hustle and bustle of a business world. I think some organizations can pull this integration off - but it is difficult. Yammer is built in a way that should increase collaboration and alleviate location based barriers for working teams. However, Yammer can fall into the potential pitfall of diving too far into a social trends over creating cross-functional teams. Therefore, in the end, I see a lot of promise in the tool - with quite of bit work left to go.

Pros

Yammer does a really nice job of offering a social platform for workers to interact with other across the company. I work in a large organization and Yammer is a tool that I use to interact with my business cohort across the country. I have really enjoyed the opportunity to add individuals to your connections, find like-minded groups, and share documents for others to review. I have tried using Yammer for various uses and have largely found it beneficial for keeping up with co-workers in off-site locations.

Cons

I think Yammer can fall a little too far into the social category for a business. I have often felt like the platform veers too far into a social media tool rather than a business collaboration platform. The user experience feels very similar to Facebook and often is difficult to differentiate it from other social platforms. I have had other experiences with other business tools that seems to pull this off a bit better than Yammer. From my experience, other business professionals realize this and stay away.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Darrus L.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Specialty specific physician message board

Reviewed on 2018/07/24
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Provides an easy to use platform for communication and sharing. The relatively limited feature set keeps interacting with Yammer a straight forward experience. For our purposes Yammer provides a great substitute for the "Doctor's Lounge" that our physicians miss since we are a much larger organization than just a few years ago. Physicians can, in physician only environments, discuss patient cases and ask for advice and referrals to other specialists from a much larger community of their peers than are available at their physical location.

Cons

Because Yammer does not seem to have all the same connections to our AD database as other applications in Office 365 getting everyone onto the platform can be challenging. Creating and managing groups can be daunting as the platform is open. Controlling the types of communication on the platform can also be difficult and channel moderators have to stay vigilant. This does mean that the platform is creating new work for those staff chosen as channel moderators, and depending on adoption and usage this can be a significant commitment of time on a regular basis.

Kacie H.

Facebook for your Coworkers

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/04/28

I used this at my prior company, and HR in particular found it to be rewarding. From celebrating milestone employee birthdays and announcing new hires to promoting newsletter content and collecting charitable donations across the enterprise, Yammer is great for casual announcements. Serious announcements, urgent communications and PR are still best distributed via email. But Yammer is scalable to your company. It can be as streamlined or intricate as you choose.

Pros

Yammer is modelled after social networking platforms, both from function and UI standpoints. So if you can use Facebook, you'll instantly feel comfortable on Yammer. Think of it as a social intranet - post companywide updates and photos, hold contests, have team-specific chats or channels to cut down on inbox clutter, and promote a culture that's both full and well-informed at your office. Yammer allows polls, and you can set up email notifications to make sure you don't miss anything that might be of interest to you.

Cons

Yammer's social function is still a bit lacking, and it doesn't integrate as seamlessly with Office 365 as I'd like. Be sure that your company is thoughtful about what should be communicated on Yammer, and what should still be sent via email. Adoption by other employees was a challenge for us, as it can feel like just anotjher platform to have to check on a daily basis. I did receive feedback from several colleagues along the lines of "I already check my email. It's easier to have all communications go though Outlook. Why would I want to add another platform to my list of things to check?"

Steve R.

It's a great program to use for a virtual office!

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

Great benefits, it's a wonderful virtual office

Pros

Yammer is a terrific way to communicate with people in your company when you don't have a traditional office setting, where employees work from different areas. You can have conversations and get up with people immediately, plus have various "buckets" to divide up work tasks, or have different networks for different departments. Uploaded and downloading is easy, and it's a repository for valuable files. To have a platform where everyone can be on the same page is invaluable. And with smart phones, pushes can allow one to be notified immediately of any update or conversation. Has similar feature to Facebook, so it's easy to learn. Again, a great virtual office!

Cons

Honestly, there are very few cons, sometimes it won't let you upload or download items, but that is a rare occasion. Sometimes the search isn't reliable.

Oluwakorede D.
Industry: Financial Services

Multi Collaboration tool for Business and Social Purposes!

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

When it comes to corporate collaboration and communication, yammer has proved to be an effective tool. In terms of having useful talks, chats and meetings with my team members, yammer has been of great help, in terms of cost, i didn't have to pay any substantial amount to get it installed/setup, customer support is also great.

Pros

Yammer is an appropriate tool for collaboration between staff/colleagues in an Organization, it has great customization features which can be tailored to suit the needs of any Organization, and it also supports integration with a wide range of products.

Cons

There is the need for addition of features found on other social platforms to Yammer, this will give yanner a chance to ace out its competitors, I also think it works more like a coporate tool than a social tool. Yammer is also strict with its policy against ads from 3rd parties.

Alexander Y.
Industry: Oil & Energy

A Great Forum For Employee Engagement and Collaboration

Reviewed on 2019/12/12

Overall, Yammer is a wonderful tool that I am glad we implemented here. It gives the user a very social network experience that they are used to, while maintaining a lot of the wonderful features that you've come to expect from Microsoft. I 100% recommend the implementation of Yammer to any organization that's considering to use it.

Pros

Yammer has opened the door to many new connections and collaborations at Oxy. We've been able to create business-unit specific Yammer groups that allow employees from all around the globe to post data, share findings, and collaborate - all in one easy to use place.

Cons

There aren't too many cons to Yammer - sometimes you may get too many emails, depending on how many Yammer groups you are subscribed to. But these email preferences can always be changed at your discretion to limit the amount of inbox flooding.

Deepak M.
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Fabulous product for connecting people across the organization

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

Overall I am quite satisfied with Yammer, I get upto date notifications on what is going on in the company and I can reach people in different timezones quite conviniently through mobile apps.

Pros

1. Works well with Microsoft sharepoint and in general Microsoft platforms (Office 365).
2. It has a great facility of creating groups and share contents like documents, images and videos.
3. We can get notification for feeds across company regarding promotions, appreciations and milestones across group or company.
4. Specially in terms of events its quite useful to collaborate, organize and gather people from different fields or demographics accross organization.
5. It is available for mobiles too, across various Os like Andriod and IOS

Cons

There nothing such issue, in terms of usability across organization i have observed the below points

1. Sometimes many notifications can be annoying
2. In case of large conversation we might get off topic or lose track of topic.

i wont consider this as a disadvantage of software to be honest, if we have proper workflow it will be very useful.

Fernando D.
Industry: Computer Software

Its a good content sharing tool

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/09/14

I'm not using Yammer for a long period now, but when I did, I liked it. It has a great potential to be a content manager and a great company social media tool (communication channel).

Pros

Yammer is a complementary tool for sharing information, tutorials and documents inside an intranet. It can complement SharePoint's content management experience for a company. You can create a profile there and interact to other employees in a "social media" like tool. It has many features to create a blog, a tutorial, a wiki and many other things that can help your company to not lose knowledge as the teams keeps changing. New employees can find information and get a smaller learning curve by reading articles that more experienced people may have written on daily tasks or difficult problems that may arise.

Cons

I guess its adhesion was too low. In my company many people just don't like to use it because they don't know what is it exactly. It's such a great tool but looks like it was left aside. Maybe Microsoft could do a little marketing to help it grow and be more known by people all around the world. Maybe Microsoft Teams is more important to they...

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Yammer allows us a very dynamic and colaborative communication

Reviewed on 2018/08/06

I like it a lot, we've managed to get the people really involved in sharing what they're doing, problems they face, solutions they implement, their personal and team accomplishments.

Pros

First of all, its included with no additional cost on our Microsoft Ofice 365 subscriptions, so no additional expenses. It's very intuitive, nobody needs to be taught how to use it. It has a very simple feature set allowing us to improve our internal collaboration. Thre's now no excuse for not knowing what's happening in the Company. We can easily do simple polls and congratulate our colleagues for any personal o professional accomplishment or event.

Cons

Of course, everyone expected it to be a fully functional private facebook, which is not the case, there are a million Faceboo features that don't exist in Yammer, and we don't think we need them at all.
If only, a better interface for uploading bunches of pictures and organize them in albums, since right now we upload only selected pictures one at a time. Or we share links to sharepoint paths.

Industry: Real Estate

Great Software for File Sharing and Communicating Across Company

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

This has been a great way to connect with fellow company members worldwide. I started using this as an intern in a group of all USA interns, and now am able to connect with other employees in my business line as a full-time employee. I think this is a great platform to connect company members are provide a platform for engagement across the firm.

Pros

I like that Yammer is set up almost like a social media platform. It allows you to easily communicate with various groups/ people across a company, with the ability to share files, collaborate on documents, spread ideas, etc. This is great for a company like mine, with over 80,000 employees worldwide, and allows you to join groups with other employees by region, business line, title, etc.

Cons

With the document sharing feature, it can be difficult to search for specific files. I think the organization of posts/ files is a little messy and it would be nice to be able to go to a specific "Shared Files" section to search for things, point blank. It can also be a little overwhelming searching feeds when you are in groups/ pages with large numbers of individuals.

Helen R.
Industry: Media Production

Great virtual office. Our company uses Yammer and it is highly effective. I would recommend Yammer.

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

File sharing, communication, collaboration, organization. It is a terrific virtual office tool that I highly recommend.

Pros

It is very easy to use, uploading files is easy. There is a Yammer app for your smartphone and you can receive pushes to email as well as the Yammer app so you always stay up-to-date. It allows to set up different networks and groups for different things through your organization. It is a great tool to communicate and stay organized.

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about Yammer. It has so many wonderful benefits. I highly recommend this as a virtual office. It is low cost and for those that work remote, it is a great communication tool.

Arpan S.
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

One of the best platforms to improve employee engagement in an organization

Reviewed on 2019/02/10

- If an organization wants its employees to share topics, interests, or areas of practice, then Yammer is a must!

Pros

- The platform is simple and easy to use. Employees can start a conversation about any topic they feel like needs attention. Users have the ability to create public and private groups, share documents and videos with each other, and like other people's posts.

- Yammer can be considered a social networking platform meant to be used internally in an organization.

Cons

- I am using the software from last 5 years and do not have any concerns. The platform is reliable, easy to use, requires little to no training even for a beginner.