Yammer

Enterprise Social Network (ESN) to connect and communicate

Shannon M.

Yammer Review

Reviewed on 2020/12/16

My experience is neutral, I do not think I would go out of my way to use it, but I do not find it one of the worst products.

Pros

I like that I receive notifications for every post in certain yammer groups. It allows me to stay in the know for that specific yammer group.

Cons

Yammer can be very slow and have glitches as I am trying to use the software.

Janice W.
  • Industry: Building Materials
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Best purpose is for sending bulletins to a community group

Reviewed on 2020/08/07

This is really more of a stay-connected tool for our company. Different functions, locations, or even hobby groups keep in touch here. Especially with more people working remotely, forums like Yammer are needed to share photos and stories to keep employees engaged and feeling a sense of community.

Pros

This is a great software for sharing random stories with a group in your organization. We have thousands in our organization. One of the Yammer "communities" of my organization is the entire company. It is enjoyable to read posts from others in our organization all around the world. It is more general or light-hearted news that is shared here, such as community service activities, industry trends, inspirational words from upper management. It makes us feel connected.

Another way I use Yammer is that all of the hundreds of customer support team members are part of a "community". So when there are important customer service software updates, issues, outages, etc. , this is an easy way for leadership to communicate that information to all of us. And bulletins are all stored here, so if you missed update information from six months ago, you have a place to go to find it.

Cons

It seems there should be an administrator of Yammer within a company. It is a bit disorganized because anyone can create a new community. If an employee wanted to create a community that didn't align with the company's values, there should be administrative control of the process.

Deepak M.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Fabulous product for connecting people across the organization

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

Overall I am quite satisfied with Yammer, I get upto date notifications on what is going on in the company and I can reach people in different timezones quite conviniently through mobile apps.

Pros

1. Works well with Microsoft sharepoint and in general Microsoft platforms (Office 365).
2. It has a great facility of creating groups and share contents like documents, images and videos.
3. We can get notification for feeds across company regarding promotions, appreciations and milestones across group or company.
4. Specially in terms of events its quite useful to collaborate, organize and gather people from different fields or demographics accross organization.
5. It is available for mobiles too, across various Os like Andriod and IOS

Cons

There nothing such issue, in terms of usability across organization i have observed the below points

1. Sometimes many notifications can be annoying
2. In case of large conversation we might get off topic or lose track of topic.

i wont consider this as a disadvantage of software to be honest, if we have proper workflow it will be very useful.

• Industry: Law Enforcement

As an internal social media tool, it's better than nothing, but still has a long way to go

Reviewed on 2021/04/15

We use it because it's what everyone has and it's already included in our package, but a lot can be improved when used as an internal social media tool.

Pros

I like that everyone in our organization already has access to it and that it's relatively easy to use. It has an app that many colleagues have downloaded voluntarily to keep up with company news.

Cons

I don't like the way posts will not be automatically ordered by "newest first" and that it's not possible to make a distinction between official channels (like the communications department) and every other user. I also don't like that the posts cannot be customized enough (font, size, colors...) so for corporate communications we use a lot of emojis to compensate instead.

Courtney S.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great for Communication

Reviewed on 2020/05/08

I have thoroughy enjoyed Yammer. When the corporate office didn't send me promotional materials that I needed for a new food item being brought out, I looked to Yammer for other managers going through the same problem. Thankfully, a fellow manager actually created their own promotional sign for this item and shared it through Yammer.

Pros

The best part of this software is the communication aspect. At my job, we use Yammer to communicate new ideas, concerns or questions about our everyday work life with fellow managers throughout the company. It's a great way to share ideas with people who we would have no idea exist without this software.

Cons

I honestly have not found any negatives to this software that I would want to change. Everything is very easy to use and it's nothing but a great product for your company.

Wilfrido E.
  • Industry: Accounting

Give support in improving our teamwork.

Reviewed on 2019/08/31

When we started looking for an internal communication platform and we found Yammer, we found the best option to integrate our community and share the information with all our offices in the many cities we find.

Pros

The simplicity of its use when implementing the initial configurations was really simple. Its use in everyday life as well as the possibility of following up on threads and conversations from the mobile make it really surprising.

Cons

The mobile application specifically for iphone still has options to improve, as well as features to create surveys.

Tim M.
  • Industry: Insurance

Yammer - Staying Connected/Informed

Reviewed on 2020/04/12

Overall, I have been very impressed with Yammer. It has taken a common social media type atmosphere and transitioned it to be a crucial business tool. It increases engagement with associates and efficiency in communicating issues to all levels of leadership.

Pros

Yammer is such an easy way to stay connected, informed, and communicate with people across the country. The biggest pro is the easy of use to post questions/concerns and then a huge audience can comment.

Cons

This is not really a con of Yammer, but I would like to see a more focused usage of the message boards. I would like increased administrator usage to ensure communications stay focused.

Social Media for your enterprise

Reviewed on 2019/04/20

Brings together a disperse remote team in a fun way!

Pros

- Brings together the company in a familiar way everyone is already use to with a social media wall.
- Gamifify your team and wider company to get engaged with certain activities or goals
- Share pictures and videos of company events

Cons

- Lacks in some features such as emojis and memes (which is a big draw card for using MS teams)

Sandeep B.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Our official social network

Reviewed on 2018/11/08

Pros

We use this in our organization, and i think is awesome way to connect to all employees within our organization. the feeds and groups really help us to stay updated and be collaborative. I work with a virtual team and this really helps us post updates and documents on time, it's integration with other Microsoft office products is really good too.

Cons

Customization and personalization could be the way forward, the UI is good, but i would like to control which web part or theme should be applied to my page.

• Industry: Management Consulting

Business social networking at its best

Reviewed on 2018/03/31

Pros

It enhances communication via different channels throughout the organization. Any collaborative effort can be easily organised on yammer. The UI is really fabulous and I get all the latest feed in my inbox for any of the groups that I am associated to.

Cons

Though I really like the existing UI of this tool, I still feel that it can be improvised further. The content seems a little congested at the first glance. Other than this tiny concern, I feel that Yammer is great tool for internal communication in any firm.

• Industry: Machinery
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great internal social tool for communicating informally with the business.

Reviewed on 2018/06/28

Pros

Simple to use and easy set up. Similar feel in ways to Facebook, but love the closed environment and informal nature so communication isn't so stuffy (corporatey).

Cons

Is rather basic and limited in some functionality. Because it is a stand alone site, it is one more tool to remember/check/waste time on. Can add value to communication within the org.

• Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Assessment of a solution for setting up a professional community around several topics

Reviewed on 2019/10/08

Business purpose consists in providing community solutions within a large professional organization where a wide range of topics needs to be discussed between a large panel of professionals

Pros

Easy to setup
Quite attractive & intuitive interface for end users
Ability to select on which communities one may want to have a look and potentially make contributions & have interactions with other community members

Cons

May become difficult not be puzzled in such large tree views of various communities
Too many information entries may lead to confusion & let people publish information almost anywhere
Needs to be seriously moderated in order to avoid a kind of huge melting pot of data & mixed conversations

Eduardo C.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Very good tool and user friendly.

Reviewed on 2017/09/07

We keep track of the sales done on a daily basis.

Pros

It looks a lot like Facebook, making it a fun tool to use. It was easy to use since we were familiarized with the platform.

Cons

When checking a private message and opening one of them, when you had to go back you had to scroll through all of the messages again, making it hard to quickly resume where you were going.

Alison M.

Easy and fun way to maintain a social network within an organization

Reviewed on 2018/12/03

Pros

Easily connects people across departments and can be especially helpful for sharing articles and education documents between departments. Users know what is the most useful, letting them share freely makes sense.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. It might be nice to have more ability to organize and store old posts.

• Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

best social networking software within the organization

Reviewed on 2020/11/27

Pros

facilitate open communication between employees within the organization
ease of use , ability to collaborate with employees on the same topic
communication method is better than sending emails
user friendly interfaces

Cons

no specific cons noted on usage in the past 2 years

Philip M.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Extremely useful tool

Reviewed on 2019/06/30

I use this everyday at the company I work for. It is the first thing I go to in the morning. I can quickly find new information, posts and updates that are pertinent to my work.

Pros

Uses columns to organize your individual feeds.
allows users to quickly find new posts
gives live updates
Suggests other people to follow

Cons

Kind of a boring look to the interface.
Needs a live chat feature.
Needs an option that allows users to customize their interface

• Industry: Human Resources

Never made it to be what we aspired

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

We aspired to have this as the main exchange/communication tool for employees​, yet it had restricted features and very sterile presence.

Pros

Liked the auto-translation that helped the multinational background of our employees around the globe.

Cons

Didn't have many recognition features and was very much limited to the ​exchange of communication and collaboration of documents​. The social aspect needed more inventive credits to be assigned.

I have used this software for our internal social network communications at Virtusa.

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Pros

We can make our office network and share the things easily and communication is also easy when it comes to the global context.

Cons

The configuration part is much difficult and when issues occurred it is hard to troubleshoot. Even sometimes there are less guidelines and support.

• Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Safe, Simple Community for Employees to Connect on

Reviewed on 2019/01/31

A better way to discuss work outside of your teams with like employees and understand the importance of our roles. A more appropriate space than Facebook.

Pros

Minimalist, private network where employees from all over the company can connect and discuss work-related things in a polite, but relaxed space. Easy to navigate with different areas/groups for specific topics. Connects to credentials for easy log-in.

Cons

Alerts on posts is a bit spotty. Occasionally it will regularly notify you of new activity on a post you commented on or created, or you'll miss the notifications. Not a highly developed internal social media site, but it is no frills.

Dave W.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

A social network for work.

Reviewed on 2019/03/14

It improves communication and morale, especially when combined with Bonusly.

Pros

This platform is great for communicating with folks at work when an email blast would be inappropriate. An example would be letting folks know of a blood drive up the street that offers a 20.00 gift card per donation, or we're having a pot luck on Thursday or what not. Let's not forget those birthday shout outs as well!

Cons

I really could not mention cons except that it takes a little time to get folks on board with using something new.

Like Facebook for work

Reviewed on 2019/02/17

I enjoy using Yammer and use it to catch up on company news daily

Pros

Yammer is great for easily sharing information when you don't want to use email

Cons

It is hard to get full adoption from the team on using it

Jason W.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great for company updates

Reviewed on 2021/03/30

I enjoy using this for a high level overview of what is happening within the business.

Pros

Company updates get delivered to me daily to keep me informed about the activities and projects that are occuring.

Cons

getting too many updates daily which aren't required. once a week is good enough. Other than not no issues.

Amanda G.

Fun!

Reviewed on 2020/09/22

I really loved using yammer. It was fun and easy to use.

Pros

Yammer is a really great tool for companies. It’s very similar to social media, but for business. Easy place to store files as well.

Cons

I do not have many complaints about yammer. I suppose there could be a more organized way of storing files.

Bethany S.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Good Idea. May or May Not be Useful.

Reviewed on 2018/07/16

Pros

Yammer is a very cool concept. It basically creates an online social network for your business which can be used for everything from project management to helping employees connect over shared interests. In that sense it is very flexible, and it allows people to connect at work in a way that they are connecting in non-work life already (ie on social media).
It's pretty easy to use, even without looking at any tutorials and if you're using other Microsoft products it fits in seamlessly.

Cons

No real cons if this is something you're interested in for your business. I think it would be used to greater advantage in a larger business. We're a small company, so it's not as challenging for all of us to keep track of each other and collaborate. In that sense, a product like Yammer might not be as useful for a small company.

Laura C.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Excellent collaboration tool.

Reviewed on 2018/08/01

Pros

Yammer is a private social network which allows users to work together across sectors, content and professional application. The best thing I love about Yammer It provides us mobile application which is really easy to use with the most interesting features. Its features are almost same that we can find in other social networking applications. It is a splendid way for having communication with people in industries very easily.

Cons

I would like to say there is really just one con. When I use this application it creates some problem while uploading and downloading but it happens very rarely. Most of the time it works perfect and let us collaborate in a fantastic way.