Google Voice Reviews

Call and voicemail management

Signe
Signe
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Excellent FREE phone service!

Reviewed on 2021/06/24

Google Voice solves a major problem for me. I love it!

Google Voice solves a major problem for me. I love it!

Pros

I have a home office, and I've used a landline number as my business phone for the last 5+ years as a way to keep my business and personal communications separate. (And to prevent me from getting distracted by business calls/texts when I'm spending time with family/friends.) I moved recently and was shocked by the cost of landline service in my new community. I wasn't willing to pay that price so I started looking for alternatives. I chose Google Voice because it gives me a local phone number FOR FREE. Clients can call and text the number; the calls get forwarded to my cell phone and the texts get forward to my email.

I have set up a voice mail message for my business, so when I don't answer, clients don't get my personal answering machine message; instead, they get a professional business "out of office" message. I have solved the "don't get distracted by business calls during personal time" issue by using the settings on my phone to only ring for the Google Voice number during business hours. It's the perfect solution and it saves me TONS of money.

Cons

I only have one issue with Google Voice. When calls are forwarded to my phone, clients are directed to my personal voice mail if I hit the "ignore" button to ignore the call. To get the Google Voice business voice mail, I have to let the call ring until it is auto-redirected to my voice mail. This is a pretty minor issue, though; given all the benefits -- and the $0 price -- I am happy to put up with this very minor inconvenience.

Rosalina
  • Industry: Insurance

"Google Voice: A Detailed Look at the Benefits and Limitations of the VoIP Service"

Reviewed on 2023/03/02

Generally speaking, Google Voice is a valuable and practical VoIP administration that offers numerous helpful highlights for individual and expert use. While there are a few constraints and disadvantages, the free help and flexible gadget similarity go with it a famous decision for some clients.

Pros

Free assistance: Google Voice is totally allowed to use for calls inside the US and Canada, and offers low rates for worldwide calls.Numerous gadgets: You can utilize Google Voice on various gadgets, including your PC, cell phone, and tablet. This permits you to settle on and get decisions from anyplace, as long as you have a web association.Number porting: You can port your current telephone number to research Voice, so you don't need to give out another number to your contacts.Voice message record: Google Voice can interpret your voice message messages into message, which makes it simple to peruse and deal with your messages.Call screening: Google Voice permits you to screen approaching calls, so you can choose whether or not to answer in view of the guest ID and the record of their message.

Cons

Restricted accessibility: Google Voice is just accessible in the US and Canada, which might be a disadvantage for clients in different nations.Call quality: The call nature of Google Voice can be impacted by the speed and dependability of your web association.No crisis calls: Google Voice can't be utilized for crisis calls, so you'll have to utilize a customary telephone line or cell if there should be an occurrence of a crisis.Restricted highlights: While Google Voice has numerous valuable elements, it may not offer every one of the high level highlights that a few clients expect for business or expert use.Joining issues: Google Voice may not coordinate well with other specialized instruments or stages, which can be an issue for clients who depend on various devices for their work.

Mike
  • Industry: Photography

If you are an android user there really is no other choice for VM integration.

Reviewed on 2018/05/29

Pros

Google Voice does a lot of things. I do not fully utilize it. It is the best voicemail transcription apps that I have found. I rarely have to listen to my voicemail messages and just read them. Being able to have an extra phone number to give out is a godsend. The cost of international calls form Google voice is extremely competitive.

If you are in another country and do not have phone access it can send your voicemails to your email,

The basics of it are free.

Cons

I recently had a hard time using it while on a trip to Germany. It has always worked well for me in the past as an affordable way to keep in contact with people back home during my international travels. I am now worried that I can no longer depend on the calling aspects of it.

Call screening seems to only work if they are calling your google voice number and not your primary.

Jeff

Easily setup. Has many features

Reviewed on 2024/02/06

Pros

Easy setup.
Texting capability.
Voice calls can be sent to cell phone or other devices.

Cons

Sometimes is hard to tell when call is forwarded to your cell from Google Voice.

Melody
  • Industry: Consumer Services

We can't live without it!

Reviewed on 2023/05/17

Pros

I own two hair salons and we don't have a receptionist at either location. Google Voice has made our world so much better and allows us to streamline all client communication through one number. A few of my team members have access to it on their devices and we are able to communicate from home or away from the salons! Can't get better than that. We love the texting options also!

Cons

The only thing I would change is a simple feature... I'd love to have the option to "unread" text messages, to help us keep track of who has been communicated with. Other than that, its great!

Archit
  • Industry: Biotechnology
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Excellent call quality and telephony service

Reviewed on 2022/05/05

Pros

I like the most about Google Voice is that it has an excellent call quality. It assigns you a personal number and you can call for free all over in USA or from another country to USA. A subscription can also be taken to call internationally which I was frequently using in Hangouts but I will be using this feature of Voice as well in future.

Cons

It asks you to select a region for assigning a number. I feel that for a beginner, it can be a little tricky. I think Voice should auto-detect the location and assigns a number automatically based on it. I hope they improve on that in future. Other than that, I like everything that Voice offers.

Ryan
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Google voice for call forwarding and voicemail is the way to go

Reviewed on 2023/01/16

Google voice has been a great tool to allow for frequent updates to voicemail message, tracking of missed calls, and being able to read a transcript of voicemails.

Pros

I like how easy it is to set up, connect call forwarding to my existing cell number, and rely on and change the voicemail message based on vacations, meetings, and life events.

Cons

There are times where the call forwarding gets messed up and losses it connection. I will not find out until a friend, colleague, or customer mentions my voicemail is not working.

Nina

Great solution for Business Phone

Reviewed on 2021/07/20

Great experience using it, super easy to use and set up. Easy to set voicemail, text, respond to calls.

Pros

Easy to port current phone number for business use. Texting available as well as voice. Easy to set up on any cell with the google voice app. Seamless transition from previous phone service and much cheaper. I like that I can set business hours and it won’t ring outside of that time.

Cons

Would be nice to be able to set different voicemails for inside and outside of business hours. Also would be great to auto set different voicemails ahead of time, like when planning to be out of office and you don’t want to change it while away. But for the price point, all of the features are great.

Ariz

It's great if you are just getting started!

Reviewed on 2023/10/23

It's great for ancillary items, but once you grow past a certain point, it's difficult to recommend.

Pros

It's the cheapest option that requires the least amount of setup. You can be up and running in a matter of minutes.

Cons

There aren't any advanced features, so you can't set business hours or after hours so the system behaves differently under different conditions.

Reasons for Switching to Google Voice

It was the cheaper option, so we went with it.
Destiny
  • Industry: Human Resources

Ring Ring

Reviewed on 2024/03/27

Google Voice is good to use a good alternative is free texting apps. Good for business use.

Pros

Works well with IOS my work computer. Transcription was typically good for calls. Offers free numbers, calls are free in the US, you can call internationally for an extra fee. Easy to sign up and set up your account.

Cons

Collaboration is limited, it can be difficult to manage contacts, be careful with months of none use as your number will be disconnected.

Michael
  • Industry: Entertainment

Extra phone number

Reviewed on 2023/04/26

Pros

Good way to add another phone line or use on its own. I signed in with my Google account and not much else was required to get set up. I like having a separate phone number because I get a lot of people calling me wanting consultations. Some spam and prank calls get in the mix plus I'm not always available so it's great to have something other than my personal phone number.

Cons

Google has good customer service but reaching them for Google Voice it takes way longer for some reason. That needs to be fixed since phone lines are something we need working right always.

Reasons for Choosing Google Voice

Cheaper

GoTo Connect
John

Excellent voice recognition software

Reviewed on 2021/04/20

Excellent. It is a necessary tool I use daily if not that then weekly.

Excellent. It is a necessary tool I use daily if not that then weekly.

Pros

Google voice is able to integrate not only the user's everyday experience (For example: Going to work, using their google maps voice assistant to articulate a navigation destination is seamless and accurate.) but also in the home (google home) being able to ask questions from cooking to astronomy. The integration of google voice is excellent, not only do you have the ability to use it within your google chrome tabs, you can use it in gmail, and even google calendar. I see physicians using their voice to type to text so much more often because of how easy it is. I can't imagine a world where this won't be the next thing. Soon typing will be a way of the past and people will use their voice- from there I'm sure with what Elon Musk is doing with neurolink, we won't have to use our voices and just integrate thought into words on a screen, but until then Google voice is the next best thing.

Cons

Lack of customer service is an issue. I don't know of anyone who has used it- or even if it is a thing. I would like to see more customization and computer learning from the google voice side of things so you can have BOLD WORDS when an inflection of voice occurs or "quotes" when you're trying to describe things. The ultimate way google voice could be a contender is if they integrate well into texting. Phones are never going away, even if the previous neurolink idea takes off. There needs to be a seamless integration of voice and text and yes, even emoji's. This is the next step that needs to be hurdled with voice assistive software.

Sarah
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Google Voice TO-GO!

Reviewed on 2023/05/13

I absolutely love Google Voice service and I'll continue to use it, I've been a customer going on 5+ years now.

Pros

I have absolutely zero issues out of Google Voice; my favorite thing about this product is that it's attached to my email so no matter where or on any device I can actually access everything from past messages, missed calls/texts/voicemails, and even my contacts. Also, I love how I have a "forward-to-email" "reply-from email" option...

Cons

Probably the color scheme is the worst part for me lol.

Tim
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Willing Partner in the Google Suite

Reviewed on 2022/05/04

Overall, I've had a very good experience with Google Voice. I prefer to use it instead of a messaging app like many others use in a group setting such as Remind, Group Me, etc. It makes my job/life much easier to have such functions.

Pros

For one, ease of use. If you know how to text or use a phone, then you can use this app. I use this app to contact parents. I am a case manager for students with mild to moderate disabilities and one form of communication that I rely on is the SMS function of the Google Voice app. I use it to contact parents in lieu of providing my personal number. Of course, it must be tied to a Google account. One feature that I particularly like is that since it is tied to a Google account, it allows you to respond to a message within a mail function (Gmail) so I don't always need to text on my phone. This makes communication much easier (and quicker). Also, you can launch a Google Meet and it works smartly with integration, again, making easy communication the primary feature.

Cons

Even with its ease of use, there are some drawbacks. For one, it's fairly limited. It is not a robust platform. This limitation makes sense since it works across different providers, phones, platforms, etc. But it is still pretty bare bones. It is difficult to shrink the message box when typing which gets annoying if working primarily on a phone. Also if your messages are too long, it does clip them. So that is something to be aware of.

David

Google Voice is an amazing second number. VOIP number.

Reviewed on 2023/01/14

Very reliable and very easy to use.

Very reliable and very easy to use.

Pros

This software has been my go to for a second phone line. Each Google account can be assigned its own Google Voice number. It is free to get your initial start and your own number assigned. This is great if you want to be kind of anonymous. I say anonymous because there are a ton of features. Like caller id blocking and so forth. This has never failed me. This does have to be linked to a real SIM phone number or landline to be able to utilize though. After you do so you can forward calls and pick between either your Google Voice number or real phone number connected to the account to list as the caller ID. This has been around for a long time and it has many useful qualities that always have you coming back to take advantage of. Best of all, it's free to use/ You can pay to have your real number ported over if you like too.

Cons

This is a VOIP number given and you cannot use it for many verification purposes which is the only downside to it.

Michelle

Google voice an easy way to text your friends hands-free

Reviewed on 2023/10/23

Overall I love the multitask function that I could use with Google voice I could be working on something and sending out a text message instead of typing on my phone I tend to do that a lot with my business and it saves the fingers and the hand cramps but you must always remember to pronunciate your words before you push send or I could autocorrect something you didn't mean to say

Pros

What I absolutely love about Google voice is that when I am driving and you're not allowed to have your cell phone you can talk easily into it and it will send a text for you or if you're doing chores around the house or the office

Cons

The only thing you need to be careful about with Google voice is make sure you are pronunciating your words so that it doesn't misspell or misinterpret what you're saying in fact I am using Google voice right now to make this review

Keeping My Business Phone Connected

Reviewed on 2021/04/15

When moving to a new city and setting up a very mobile business, my old, out-of-state cellphone number scared people off, so having a dedicated, local number that I only use for business garners more trust and better comfort levels with clients. It is perfect for keeping state-required records with clients since I can access everything from my computer and just print off communications as necessary.

Pros

Google Voice has provided a wonderful way to keep my business and personal life separate all on my same smartphone! I have a mobile phone number that I can use for my business that I have a separate voicemail recording for, can turn on special rules for, and can access from both my phone and my computer in order to keep better records and communicate more efficiently with clients and business partners. It works over the internet, but also piggybacks on my regular cellphone number when I'm offline. That means I can keep my preferred provider and beloved personal phone number while also creating a new avenue for business calls! It's also free to use!

Cons

Google Voice does not always keep itself continuously updated, so I occasionally miss calls or text messages because I didn't get a notification. Also, I cannot tell when a call is incoming if it is coming in on my regular cell phone number or if it is on my Google Voice phone number.

Lora
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Google Voice Does it All - Almost

Reviewed on 2021/01/26

I love having a local phone number that is linked to my cell phone number. Voice allows for me to see if a call is coming in on my private line or my Company line - Google Voice. I have separate voicemail that transcribes to my email.

I send text messages to communicate instantly with my clients and it's so much easier using my laptop and keyboard and I never skip a beat switching devices. This is also saving the thumb strain I was starting to feel from phone texting so frequently.

Pros

The thing I like the most about Google Voice is that I can use it on my laptop all day long making calls and talking to customers without worrying about my already stressed out WiFi crashing in the middle of a call and I can use a great wired headset for super clear sound. Great if you spend the day on the phone.

Cons

The thing I like least about Google Voice is that I cannot see names or save profile pictures for my contacts. I would love to save my clients name and numbers so I can recognize them when they call.

Norin
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Love Google voice!

Reviewed on 2023/04/17

Even the Vice President of Marketing and Sales has a Google Voice Number. Both the Google Chrome website and the iPhone app are used by us. For convenience, I even created a desktop application that I can use from a separate icon on my toolbar. We endorse it wholeheartedly and use it frequently.

Pros

Connects immediately and without any noticeable lagSimple to use and applyVOIPCall Forwarding

Cons

Its price premium above competitors is the only area for improvement. Quite pricey in comparison to their rivals. Not terrible for a single caller, but it gets very expensive when there are so many callers are placed.

Edwin
  • Industry: Entertainment

If you don't have Google voice then u don't care to be easily reachable wherever you are

Reviewed on 2023/07/24

Overall experience is fantastic

Overall experience is fantastic

Pros

I love Google voice. I love Google because of wonderful apps like this. I have been using this for 13 years. Therefore for 13 years of different carriers, numbers and plans. Thought these changes one thing has been the same and that's my Google voice number that piggybacks off any carrier I am with and if in not I can still be reachable by my Google voice number

Cons

I don't like that u need an actual phone. Number already to set up your own number caus otherwise you get. Number that either u can't call out or call in...I forget Im 13 years in from the I initial set up

Kelsie

Was good when we were smaller

Reviewed on 2022/05/02

Pros

Google Voice was a great product to use as our first texting platform. It's free, connected to a Google account, and easily accessible from a desktop or mobile device. For a small volume of correspondence, appointment confirmations, and periodic check ins, Google Voice was an excellent choice for our small nonprofit organization.

Cons

Google Voice was created to be a personal text line, and limits what you can do if you use it in any other capacity. You can not set any away messages, auto replies, and if multiple people are accessing the text line, you can't see if anyone is texting the same person at the same time, causing some confusion. As our needs grew to now reach groups of donors, other organizations, and clients, we outgrew the helpfulness of Google Voice and have since moved on.

CLIFTON
  • Industry: Sports

Google Voice User - It has been an essential tool to operating our Yoga Studios

Reviewed on 2021/06/15

Our experience has been excellent. We used it every day for 9 years. We used it at 2 Yoga Studios. It integrated into our Gmail - Email system easily.

Thanks

Pros

Google Voice is FREE. But more importantly it provides a way to manage our phone calls, voice mail, emails, and forwarding calls when away.

We use the Google Voice number for all of our Marketing. We have changed VOiP providers several times without having to change our phone number as it was linked to Google Voice. We just forwarded the calls to the new number provided by our VOiP providers.

Cons

For a Free service, I have no complaints. The software improved over the 9 years we used it. It improved on providing accurate conversion of Voice to Text that was sent to our email system.

Jose
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Good value for the service

Reviewed on 2023/04/28

Pros

Easy to setup forward calls to other devices. Having the Do Not Disturb is a great feature too.Using the google voice page makes it easy to do texts! Very handy when typing a lot of information.

Cons

For the type of calls and management we use it for, we don't have any negative comments towards it.It has been very helpful and extremely cheap compared to other services

Reasons for Choosing Google Voice

Moving to a cloud setup, and much more cheap than other providers

Reasons for Switching to Google Voice

Mostly pirce
Michael
  • Industry: Music

A Free & Solid Choice For a Telephone!

Reviewed on 2022/09/19

Google Voice has definitely become an integral part of business. Anyone who finds our website, ads, or finds us in some other way, can call our Google Voice number to speak with us directly, all without having to put our personal info about there. It serves as a layer to extra spam calls as well. It's a free service from Google, which definitely helps to overlook any shortcomings. While not a replacement for your normal phone service, as a business this is a great asset!

Pros

Honestly the thing I like most about Google Voice is the price. We use it as an alternate business line so that leads and potential clients can call into us without having to use a personal phone number, or pay for another line. They assign you a number, which is really great! The interface of the software and app is also very nice and clean, as you'd typically find with any Google software!

Cons

The cons to Google Voice tend to be that a lot of calls get dropped and sometimes I have trouble answering the phone cleanly. Definitely a major downside, but again being that it's free, it's hard to complain. If you have a strong internet connection it should be serviceable and once connected, the calls are generally clear.

• Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Free phone number!

Reviewed on 2022/05/25

The experience has been great, over 11 years of use. Great quality, free calls, and I've been able to keep in touch with family and friends.

Pros

It's been probably 11 years since I created my Google Voice account and I have not regretted it at all. I live out of the US, so contacting my family or friends was difficult. Local tariffs for international calls were high and using other apps like MagicJack or similar devices required an monthly fee to use. The fact that his integrated into my Google account was just great, no need for a third party device that I had to attach to my computer. Being able to make calls at no cost was just a win/win scenario. Easy to use, great quality audio, I've never really had any issues with the account.

Cons

I would have to say that on my mobile phone, I do have issues where the Voice App does not work properly, but around 95% of the time I use my pc for calling.