Time Doctor

Smart Employee Time Tracking Software with Screenshots

Monnel E.

TD is a standard in All Forms of Productivity - Must Have for Professionals Who Wants to Do...

Reviewed on 2018/05/17

Super affordable and easy to use.

Pros

One of the very first sets of time tracker that I used . . . and still using at the very moment I'm writing this review. It perfectly fits with my internal processes. Very intuitive to use. Other time trackers try to reinvent the wheel as if mastering productivity is not hard enough. If you're using TD, you create a project, add a task, then just start doing it. No other hullabaloo.
Another advantage is the growing list of project management tool integration. Well, TD is a project maanagement tool already but if you're using other tools like Trello, you'll be happy to know that TD has you covered already.

Another advantage is the fact that TD has added the Client View feature. That means you can invite your client/s to log in to a panel and view all the screenshots and work you've billed them. That's a trust booster for you and your client especially if you're getting paid by the hour.

Cons

Hmm if there's something that I want TD to improve on is their mobile app. It lags from time to time. And you shouldn't let it compete with other apps unless you have a super high power smartphone. And if you're like me who's into quantified self, tracking other aspects of like aside from work is just an absolute must. And more often than not, it has to be done off your PC. That's why they have to improve their mobile app.

Response from Time Doctor

Hi Monnel,

Thank you for using the app to manage your Team. I am glad the Client feature helps you as well.

We are working more on the mobile app now to be better at UI and functionality.

A potent tool for time tracking for independent contractors

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

As an independent contractor, it is important that I keep a track of my time spent on my tasks and projects. Time Doctor allows me to do that efficiently. The wee app that it comes with is useful once you get the hang of it. The good thing is that even if you cancel the wee bar, you still have the tracking running which is great.

A couple of gripes - it keeps reminding you if you are back at work if you have paused the tracking - that is a bit annoying. And second gripe is regarding the random screenshots that can capture personal information. There should be a way in which these screenshots can be blurred.

Other than that, an efficient software that I use frequently.

Pros

Automatic startup with windows
Ability to segregate tasks and projects
Ability to pause the task when taking a break

Cons

The screenshots are taken randomly which is a breach of privacy if you were on a window that has a personal email open. Whoever is the administrator that sees your screenshots taken by the system will also be able to see your personal information. One has to be rather careful when using TimeDoctor that no personal window or task is open so as to not share that info in a random screenshot.

Sid H.

More than Just Time Tracking

Reviewed on 2021/03/19

Ability to review screen captures. This was even more useful during the pandemic when all users were remote.

Pros

Ability to incorporate screen captures with time tracking and integrations with the third party tools that we use like Asana and Github.

Cons

We still use the old version of the software because the latest release didn't include some of the features that we needed (the integrations for example).

• Industry: Design

Good but there's a ton of room for improvement

Reviewed on 2020/09/14

I'm not really all that excited about the software, I think it can be so much better and I know they are working on great things so that's why I'm hanging around to see what they come up with. For the price point it isn't even that bad, just have to go through other loopholes to make it work which I look forward to not having to do.

Pros

Easy to use & set up (somewhat), easy to add and deactivate users, great white labeling feature it integrates to some software, super accurate.. it shows reports with time tracking down to the last second. It is stealthy and screen capture at randome, it pops ups as a reminder to log back in and get to work, also when visiting a low productivity website like youtube (unless you are a tube marketing that is) it asks if you if that's the website you meant to visit and whether you want to work on it. Customer service is THE BOMB! Super patient and will go to any length to make you happy.

Cons

Reports are not white labeled and poorly formatted so I personally cannot send those and have to create my own based onthe informtion I can get out of the site and so this also makes the whole white labeled a little pointless because I cannot format the email that go out of TD to the clients cannot format reports to be more appealing, the portal isn't too easy to navigate on the client's end and I cannot just send a bill to my clients to pay for my team's work as they review the work for themselves. Screenshots last for as long sd 6 months which I apprecite but I wish I could hit a "paid" and "archive" buttons so that if I want to revisit, I can just go into those archives but they aren't showing when I'm trying to back tracking to see what was the last project a team mate worked on. wording for creating a working schedule and shifts is a little weird to me. It no longer synchs with freshbooks or Quickbooks which are the two accounting software I use (I like to have redundancy in my business, don't judge me lol)

• Industry: Performing Arts

Great for knowing how long a project took!

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

I'm keeping on task with the things that have to happen every day as well as have a way to look back and see what tasks are done at certain times of year. This helps us plan our department schedule for each upcoming year so we don't forget anything.

Pros

Create your own projects and tasks. Works great for keeping a step by step task list for each project. Ability to edit time for when software updates and/or restarts are required. I love using Time Doctor Pro as my personal time keeper at work.

Cons

Not so much of a con but more of a feature request: it would be great if the software kept some sort of log of active document time. I tend to work on a few documents at a time and it would be great to know how much time is spent on each document without having to manually switch projects/tasks for each document. I almost exclusively use Adobe Creative Cloud programs and Microsoft programs using Mac computers.

Stephanie G.

Best tool for tracking remote employees. We use it to track work hrs for our team in the...

Reviewed on 2018/05/11

Pros

Accurate time tracking for tasks and projects
screen shots and app usage is one of my favorite features since it gives you a detailed info on where we spend the most time on our projects
fare pricing and bulk discounts :)
We integrate Time Doctor with asana for seamless task tracking
Love the ability to change time spend on tasks manually in case there is need for it
we get a weekly email with information on how our account is being use
We can also manage and track time with the IOS app

Cons

The desktop app looks a little old school on PC but is works fine.
wish they had a better way to create tasks and mark tasks as completed when these are created inside time doctor, instead of having to delete them once they are done

Response from Time Doctor

Hi Stephanie,

You can actually tick them complete with our most recent app which it Time Doctor version 0.19.9 You can download this new application from our download page at www.timedoctor.com/download.html

It should be this here: http://prntscr.com/jll3vk

Rubel T.

Very Useful!

Reviewed on 2020/10/14

So far, I am happy with the services that Time Doctor offers. If you could work on the web and app ratings per projects, that would be wonderful! ;)

Pros

I like the fact that we are able to measure our team's productivity especially that we're currently working remotely due to the pandemic. I have to admit that handling 30-40 staff members is a bit challenging in terms of measuring productivity but with Time Doctor, I don't have to worry about keeping an eye on my team from time to time. Very easy, just pull up the report and there you can see who has worked efficiently and not. I like it!

Cons

I know we have already raised this to Time Doctor but it would be great if there's a way for us to set ratings per project. I'm handling 10-12 projects at the moment and it's very challenging for me to still check regularly their web and app usage just to ensure that I am sending accurate reports to each clients. That's all

• Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Real time monitoring and tracking

Reviewed on 2020/01/08

Superb and very effective. It has been a great tool to optimize the productivity.

Pros

It is a very powerful tool which helps in order to track and monitor the tasks of the workers. It captures the different tasks performed all the day and the kind of tabs opened by the workers. This is also used by the remote workers who are providing virtual assistance on the hourly basis and get paid as per the report generated at the end of the day. One can also track the idle time of a person and shows the amount of time spent on a specific tasks.

Cons

Everything is great and sometimes it troubles using the application on the smartphone. Rest I dont see any kind of trouble with the user interface of TD

Ruslan S.

Must-have for managing remote developers and freelancers

Reviewed on 2018/08/25

I'm using TimeDoctor for about 6 years across 3 different companies/teams, to manage remote workers. It helps me to track productivity, better estimate certain tasks in the future, and to quickly see when a person is not well-motivated.

Pros

1. It provides the abilities to track time in a really simple way.
2. It provides native applications for all major desktop OS (MacOS, Windows and Linux).
3. It provides the screenshots feature sometimes can really help to understand what's going on.
4. There's a really helpful team behind the product.

Cons

1. They removed GitHub integration.
2. Long and not-seamless sync of tasks with a remote system (I expect such things to work much faster and in background mode)
3. Our Linux developers sometimes experience issues with the app.

• Industry: Design

Spent a lot of time researching - Time Doctor won out

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

After using my own spreadsheet to record my time use for some years, it became cumbersome and there were the inevitable "holes" in my tracking. After researching and using various software packages to track my time I settled on Time Doctor primarily for its ease of use. After using Time Doctor for a number of years I am very satisfied with my choice. Not only does it accurately track my time use but it also helps me to stay "on target" but I'm also able to quote my projects more confidently knowing how long my projects actually take. The entry of tasks is quick and easy; the breakdown of tasks in various reports is also a great benefit.

Pros

Ease of use, timely reminders, concise reports

Cons

Can't think of anything; my overall experience has been very positive and wish more software was as easy to use and as reliable.

Phat P.

Great and simple software for tracking employees' time

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Pros

Simplicity, nothing simpler than finding your task then press it to start your tracking session.

Cons

Sometimes the syncing of time can be incorrect when switching between multiple computers, which can cause loss of working time.

Tiffani R.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Peace of Mind in Keeping Track of Employee Pay

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

As a small business owner, it allows me to stay on track with payments, view all past activity, and change matters relating to payment with ease. I use another service to send payment because I couldn't get it to link with the payment services when I first started, but I love the archive features as well.

Pros

Especially when hiring new virtually employees, this software helps me keep an eye on new hires, in order to help them with any tasks, responsibilities, accountability, etc. They are able to install and use with ease.

Cons

Sign-in process is often clunky and stalls at times. Seems as if it's incompatible with my computer at times. Also, when I mark a week as "paid" on the first time, the option is not there. I need to click in "go back" and refresh and then the button is there. There are so many options sometime overwhelming when I want to do something new. I just stick with basics

• Industry: Management Consulting

Was brilliant until recent changes/improvements..

Reviewed on 2018/11/21

Up until recently I would have said 'brilliant, what a difference in my life'. Right now I'm looking at other options while I wait for the support team to send emails back and forth..

Pros

I have loved using timedoctor and referred many people to it. It has been amazing in helping me keep a track of time spent on different projects with numerous clients. It was also easy to go back and amend time if I had forgotten to change the activity when starting a call etc. Easy to use on the iPhone app while on the road.

Cons

Help desk and all interactions used to be via chat. That seems to have stopped - sadly!
Recent changes have introduced a number of bugs that have made this month intolerable. I am really frustrated that a tool I had come to rely on so heavily and which has been a crucial part of my business management and billing process is failing.

Michael P.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Best Multi-Platform Time Keeper

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

Very positive experience using the software. This tool has given me time back in my day by consolidating my time allocation and project reporting.

The ability to use multiple interfaces efficiently allow me to bill time out more accurately and precisely.

Pros

- Ease of use
- Ability to track time view desktop application, web or mobile interface
- Ability to integrate with many external systems
- Task management and control over categories/prioirties

Cons

That I cannot get more people to use the software for time tracking.

Migena B.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

My experience as a 2 year user of Time Doctor

Reviewed on 2019/09/12

Time Doctor helped me get more concentrated in my work to finish my project on time.I became more correct with my timetable because it calculates every second used working.ALso,this proggram helps my boss to control our time at work even when he is away.

Pros

It is very user friendly.I like that it takes screenshots and is very detailed about the time you have spent working,the edited time and time used on mobile .

Cons

The fact that I can not find the overall time I have spent working on one project.If I have worked on a specific project one day and than a I work back on it after 10 days,I cannot find the total time I have work on both days.

Thomas B.

Time Doctor has been a very important part of our company's operations

Reviewed on 2017/09/11

- Tracking remote employees
- Heightened awareness of time usage for myself and others
- Project planning based on prior time usage

Pros

I really love the integrations and being able to see so precisely the time use of my remote employees. Also it was a great way to become more aware of my time usage. The desktop app does make it easier to make changes faster, as it does seem to be far more responsive. Also it is much more of a clean design.

Cons

I think the updated desktop software is a bit clunky, at least the latest 'green' version that I've been using . The sidebar doesn't stay docked on each of my mac desktops, and I'm not sure that there are any shortcut keys. Glitches with bringing new people onboard as well. This has happened twice at this point. Richenda from my team has been in touch.

Samantha T.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Very great tool for monitoring remote employees

Reviewed on 2018/10/12

Time Doctor has saved us tons of time and money as we are sure that workers are doing what they should be doing during hours logged in.

Pros

The best part of Time Doctor that differentiates it from the rest of similar apps is that it takes random screenshots throughout the duration of a user that is logged in. This allows us to view their activities and making sure that our workers are productive and time billed is spent wisely and efficiently.

Cons

The cost would be a factor, but they do have volume discounts so that's not really a deal breaker for us.

Oleg G.

TD helps me with IT business

Reviewed on 2018/11/21

Integrations are always have some problems, but it's implemented in correct way and support always glad to help you with it. So, it could take some time, but everything are possible with support, even if you lost something in manuals.

Pros

I like TD's integration with tickets systems and online support. It's comfortable to tune up TD for managers of sub teams and for clients. Everybody can see confirmed spend time and take the money for thier work. TD is very transparent system for all participations.

Cons

I do not know, TD helped me to solve all questions which I had.

Michael Y.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Easy to use and cost effective

Reviewed on 2017/08/11

Detailed time tracking that makes the billing process to clients much easier.

Pros

Easy to track time. Great back-end functionality. Ability to assign admins that don't need time tracking. White-label client portal.

Cons

Screenshots are only retained for 12 months. It's too easy to track time on the wrong project. You can fix it quickly, but you end up with a few seconds tracked on the wrong task.

Response from Time Doctor

Screenshots are actually stored in the server from the time you started with Time Doctor. If you need help retrieving these, as long as they¿re not deleted, please let us know.

Gemma B.

My experience in time doctor is very amazing, because this software helps me to manage my time...

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

I get so many benefits on this software, because I learned how to manage my time, my source of energy because I don't need to suffer my other things to do when I know how to use the time management

Pros

I like it the most especially during my working hours it helps me a lot to manage my time. I would definitely recommend this software to my friends who also have their own business

Cons

I don't have to say I like it the least because time doctor software helps me a lot. I would definitely recommend this software to my friends who also have their own business

Response from Time Doctor

Hi Gemma,

We are truly glad to have contributed this much for you and your business. We thank you for your commendations, and we will continue to improve.

Peter T.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Time Doctor has been transformative in the analysis of time spent by members of the studio

Reviewed on 2017/09/05

I have recommended this product to others for its ease of use and analysis of time spent.

Pros

We like it's intuitive ease of use and mobile integration. The whole team use it daily and we review resources used by projects on a weekly basis which helps keep us in control of our time. The longer we use it the better the analysis of the efficiency of the studio becomes.

Cons

I think what I would like to understand more or have more control over is the organisation and nesting of tasks and projects. I am not sure of this reflects our level of training on the product or if there is added functionality required.

Shirly N.
  • Industry: Accounting

I really like the easy of use to record time and manual entries

Reviewed on 2017/08/29

Being able to track time by the work done for each client and employee,.

Pros

Easy of use from desktop, as well as easy to entering manual entries for when you are away from the computer. The monthly report for the total hours worked is nice, as well as being able to break down by project.

Cons

Need more reports, would like to be able to pick a client to review only their data. Then go another level to break the project down by the task.

Organize your time and task

Reviewed on 2018/04/03

It manages may time and keeps track of my task in my everyday work.

Pros

It saves past task and see how many hours or minutes that you have consumed in every task. It still continues to count time even though there was a power down.

Cons

It takes time to open on your computer and in a short time that you are not using your keyboard it suddenly shows inactivity.

Response from Time Doctor

Hi,

Please do know that you can change the settings for the idle time in the Manage User Page of the admin/owner of the Time Doctor account. If you think your work has instances where you need to be away from the keyboard, then you can set it to a higher interval.

Margaret S.

Our team benefitted from using TimeDoctor in tracking the time of remote workers all over the...

Reviewed on 2018/04/17

Pros

It gives you a nice overview of who is working in real time, and how many hours they worked plus it automates the invoice for each worker.

Cons

After months of using a time tracker, our team realised that it is not working for us. Tracking time only puts pressure on people thus making them less creative. We sorted to fixed monthly rates. Quality of work is more important than hours tracked.

Response from Time Doctor

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for letting us know of this feedback. We do appreciate it.

Please do know that Time Doctor not only aims to track hours, but actually, track productive hours. It should not be in anyway become a pressure to your team.

I am glad though that you were able to experience the service, we hope to see you around.

It keeps me on my toes!

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

Being a remote employee,Time Doctor helps me to account my time easily, it also gives a list of websites I browse and time spent of each of them to my boss, so he would know that I wasn't wasting my time away.

However, it doesn't even consider loo breaks and it also keeps me on my toes, at times it gets suffocating.

Pros

Accountability of time gets easier
Social Media Pop-up warning
Increases productivity
Screen-shot capture feature

Cons

Doesn't consider loo breaks.
Starts idle time from 5 mins.
Sometimes way too suffocating.