Time Doctor

Smart Employee Time Tracking Software with Screenshots

4,5
4,5
Monnel E.

TD is a standard in All Forms of Productivity - Must Have for Professionals Who Wants to Do More

Reviewed on 2018/05/17

Super affordable and easy to use.

Pros

One of the very first sets of time tracker that I used . . . and still using at the very moment I'm writing this review. It perfectly fits with my internal processes. Very intuitive to use. Other time trackers try to reinvent the wheel as if mastering productivity is not hard enough. If you're using TD, you create a project, add a task, then just start doing it. No other hullabaloo.
Another advantage is the growing list of project management tool integration. Well, TD is a project maanagement tool already but if you're using other tools like Trello, you'll be happy to know that TD has you covered already.

Another advantage is the fact that TD has added the Client View feature. That means you can invite your client/s to log in to a panel and view all the screenshots and work you've billed them. That's a trust booster for you and your client especially if you're getting paid by the hour.

Cons

Hmm if there's something that I want TD to improve on is their mobile app. It lags from time to time. And you shouldn't let it compete with other apps unless you have a super high power smartphone. And if you're like me who's into quantified self, tracking other aspects of like aside from work is just an absolute must. And more often than not, it has to be done off your PC. That's why they have to improve their mobile app.

Response from Time Doctor

Hi Monnel,

Thank you for using the app to manage your Team. I am glad the Client feature helps you as well.

We are working more on the mobile app now to be better at UI and functionality.

Krylle E.
Industry: Consumer Services

Best Time Tracker Ever!

Reviewed on 2019/09/22

Great! I never had any problem with Time Doctor so far.

Pros

Time Doctor is the best time tracker ever. Now they have partnered with google and chrome. I can now track my time in any google apps. That is so convenient!

No more wasted time. Thank you Time Doctor!

Cons

I don't think there is. We have never encountered issue so far.

Stacey R.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great Software

Reviewed on 2020/10/08

It has been good. It is a great app to use.

Pros

It is user-friendly. It is also easy to use and retrieve user information.

Cons

No issues, however it keeps popping up when it is not in use.

Industry: Design

Unmitigated Disaster

Reviewed on 2018/09/18

We are in software development ourselves and this whole platform reeks of something that was built by cheap, overseas, outsourced development teams, OR it was something that has been rushed to market. You need to avoid Time Doctor and Staff.com like the plague. The two companies are linked and perhaps merging because recently Staff.com had a message on their website that said something to the effect of "A TimeDoctor Company." They also have identical logos.

Final thoughts: if you use Time Doctor to track work for your clients you are going to be in a world of hurt. You will overcharge and undercharge clients and when they figure it out (like ours did) they will be furious.

A quick update: I notified Time Doctor over a week ago to close our account and to the surprise of absolutely no one, they haven't honored the request. Just terrible.

Pros

Having to email their support to cancel my account...I'm joking that was just the last annoying thing I was forced to do with this company. Nothing...I like absolutely nothing about it.

Cons

Absolutely terrible piece of software. I cannot for the life of me understand why this software has such high ratings. We used it for about six months and had nothing but problems with it. Some of the issues were:

1. Time not syncing between mobile, desktop, and web clients.

2. Time not accurately being tracked.

3. Unable to archive old project-tasks or projects.

4. Tasks and projects not syncing between mobile, desktop, and web clients.

5. Time is missing. In other words, time would be tracked and then disappear.

6. Employees who worked on sensitive areas like finance had their accounts set to blur screenshots. This never worked. They were completely in the clear which could have been a huge problem.

This has been a disaster from start to finish. We've had to manually fix tracked-time, re-bill customers, refund customers, and start all over again with an much better alternative called HubStaff--whom I highly recommend.

The biggest problem with Time Doctor is that we were working with their "support team" for over a month and supposedly they were working on fixing our problems...This turned out to be a lie. Nothing ever got fixed. The support team would never proactively give us any information regarding what they were working on and we always had to reach out to them for an update; the updates contained no actual progress information of any kind...So in other words: we were being blown off.

Response from Time Doctor

The customer has some genuine problems. We put the full attention of our team on these problems and they are all now solved.

However they are very unhappy and have been posting the same negative review on multiple review sites. I think the review is unfair given that 99%+ of our customers are very happy and give us great reviews, and very few people had the problems that this customer had with the app. Our support was very attentive to them and the customer did not respond to all of our emails and requests. They are also promoting a competitor in the review, but that¿s fine we encourage you to try all competitors and see which app you like the best.

So we¿re really sorry but can say for sure that other customer will not experience the same problems as most of them were unique to that customer and are also now all solved.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Industry: Design

Good but there's a ton of room for improvement

Reviewed on 2020/09/14

I'm not really all that excited about the software, I think it can be so much better and I know they are working on great things so that's why I'm hanging around to see what they come up with. For the price point it isn't even that bad, just have to go through other loopholes to make it work which I look forward to not having to do.

Pros

Easy to use & set up (somewhat), easy to add and deactivate users, great white labeling feature it integrates to some software, super accurate.. it shows reports with time tracking down to the last second. It is stealthy and screen capture at randome, it pops ups as a reminder to log back in and get to work, also when visiting a low productivity website like youtube (unless you are a tube marketing that is) it asks if you if that's the website you meant to visit and whether you want to work on it. Customer service is THE BOMB! Super patient and will go to any length to make you happy.

Cons

Reports are not white labeled and poorly formatted so I personally cannot send those and have to create my own based onthe informtion I can get out of the site and so this also makes the whole white labeled a little pointless because I cannot format the email that go out of TD to the clients cannot format reports to be more appealing, the portal isn't too easy to navigate on the client's end and I cannot just send a bill to my clients to pay for my team's work as they review the work for themselves. Screenshots last for as long sd 6 months which I apprecite but I wish I could hit a "paid" and "archive" buttons so that if I want to revisit, I can just go into those archives but they aren't showing when I'm trying to back tracking to see what was the last project a team mate worked on. wording for creating a working schedule and shifts is a little weird to me. It no longer synchs with freshbooks or Quickbooks which are the two accounting software I use (I like to have redundancy in my business, don't judge me lol)

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Phat P.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great and simple software for tracking employees' time

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Pros

Simplicity, nothing simpler than finding your task then press it to start your tracking session.

Cons

Sometimes the syncing of time can be incorrect when switching between multiple computers, which can cause loss of working time.

Kristofffer lloyd P.
Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

God for tracking

Reviewed on 2019/09/14

Everything was smooth and totally satisfied with there service.

Pros

It was easy to use and very convenient, will be sharing to other friends

Cons

Sometimes it crashes but it`s okay, there support always remind us every time there`s updates or maintenance.

Industry: Education Management

A potent tool for time tracking for independent contractors

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

As an independent contractor, it is important that I keep a track of my time spent on my tasks and projects. Time Doctor allows me to do that efficiently. The wee app that it comes with is useful once you get the hang of it. The good thing is that even if you cancel the wee bar, you still have the tracking running which is great.

A couple of gripes - it keeps reminding you if you are back at work if you have paused the tracking - that is a bit annoying. And second gripe is regarding the random screenshots that can capture personal information. There should be a way in which these screenshots can be blurred.

Other than that, an efficient software that I use frequently.

Pros

Automatic startup with windows
Ability to segregate tasks and projects
Ability to pause the task when taking a break

Cons

The screenshots are taken randomly which is a breach of privacy if you were on a window that has a personal email open. Whoever is the administrator that sees your screenshots taken by the system will also be able to see your personal information. One has to be rather careful when using TimeDoctor that no personal window or task is open so as to not share that info in a random screenshot.

Michael A.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Extremely reliable time tracking!

Reviewed on 2020/10/05

Excellent experience, helps us to record exactly where our time is spent for each customer and project

Pros

The best part of this is how good it is at integrating to your work environment. The subtle reminders mean that you're kept on track, even if you struggle to remember. Really helps my team to use the software every day and keep track of our productivity.

Cons

There isn't too much I don't like. Perhaps, the new app isn't as feature rich as the pro version i use, but that could just be me not knowing.

Ruzzel O.
Industry: Facilities Services

A Great Software To Keep Track of our Team's Progress

Reviewed on 2020/10/08

It greatly helps our team allocate the necessary bandwidth for each task.

Pros

TimeDoctor2 is one of the most advanced time tracking software available on the market for small, and big teams. It has efficient time-tracking/timekeeping features that allow our company to accurately monitor our team.

Cons

It takes random snapshots of the users which is a bit invasive.

Maria lenin L.

Real Time Monitoring and Accurate Time Use Data for your Remote Workers

Reviewed on 2018/08/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

With the latest technology, more effective collaborative tools have been developed to address the difficulties and disadvantages of hiring remote workers. Virtual Assistants are in demand helping companies Worldwide produce more and better results for a low cost. Most remote workers and Virtual Assistants are paid by the hour and with Time Doctor, the management can track their employees real work status and productivity time. The features are designed to monitor the agent's screens and open tabs to ensure that the workers are doing work related tasks and opening company approved sites. Dashboard shows agent status where a Green circle beside the users name- means the person is working, if red, means the person is not working or on break At the end of the day, a report on accurate time usage can be viewed. Data gives the total of hours worked. It also shows the different tasks and how much time spent per task. You can select total hours worked per day, week, or per month.
What I like about Time Doctor is that it provides agent screenshots every 9 minutes. It also shows if there is a low activity period.

Cons

Most benefits and advantages are for employers and management with the reports and actual agent status and work hours. However, the agent's Time Doctor Application / Dashboard is not easy to manage and use. Integration to company's accounting and company provided software can be complicated. For every task accomplished it should also be made available in their time doctor application. Agent should identify which task he/she is currently working on that particular hour by providing notes per hour after selecting which task category it belongs. Agents however can save permanent tasks instead of typing them saving them more time by just clicking on the saved task before he or she starts working.

Automate your time sheets to save time!

Reviewed on 2018/04/20

I saved a ton of time by using Time Doctor to track how I spend my day and on which projects. I also don't have to write anything down and then worry about losing it before I send a client an invoice. So it's really helped my organization as well.

Pros

Time Doctor has been a lifesaver for me. I am a one-person design company and I need to track the time I spend on many different projects all at once. My previous solution was to write down the time on sticky notes or note pads, but there was always the chance that I might misplace it or lose it. Nor could I generate my invoices from my home office if I'd left the billing hours info at my office. So this was a great all in one solution. Now I can choose the task I'm working on and don't have to worry about writing things down. If for any reason I forget what I was doing for a client and didn't make my task name specific enough, I can go back and take a quick look through the automatic screenshots. I also love that I can see how much time I spend on email and other admin tasks vs the actual design work. Love the reports that Time Doctor gives me as well.

Cons

Not much that I don't like about this software. But suggestions for improvement?

One thing I would love to see is integration with my cell phone. Time Doctor already has an app, but I want it to automatically capture the time I spend on my phone with clients. For now I have to manually enter in this time and must note when the call started and when it ended.

Integration into Wave apps where I generate my invoices. I'd like to be able to select a project from Time Doctor in my invoice and have it automatically populate the time I spent on it and the dates I worked on the project rather than manually finding and entering this information.

Eduardo C.
Industry: E-Learning

Productivity stile

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

I am having a satisfactory experience, even comparing it with other software that perform the same functions. The TD has helped me to significantly improve my performance as an analyst, this has the same impact on personnel as monitoring to the point of achieving objectives that in principle seemed unattainable.

Pros

Certainly I liked the amount of options, speaking of indicators that help us manage staff and increase productivity significantly. Not only see captures, but also see the activity of their peripherals and the apps and programs they use

Cons

More than a "Cons" i would like that indicators such as low activity may be visible to individuals and not only to those who have TD group management. In turn, that this indicator can be traceable not only in the last 7 days of work but in editable periods of time, example: the last 3 days of work

Alicia D.
Industry: Law Practice

Great for tracking remote employees

Reviewed on 2020/06/19

I moved to a remote workforce (even before the pandemic!) and TimeDoctor helps me do that with peace of mind by allowing for supervision.

Pros

Time Doctor allows me to make sure my employees are working and billing their time without me being a nag. It has time clocks, screen captures, and reports, so I can see what they are doing any time I want, without them being aware of when I am watching so that I don't interrupt them or make them anxious. It also helps catch billable time and improve time wasting habits.

Cons

They advertise that they work with payroll. But the software is not compliant legally with U.S. employment law (I am an employment lawyer so I am strongly aware of this). It is focused more on independent contractors, but most companies should be using this for employees instead of contractors. For employees, you will still need to have a separate time clock and use a good payroll company. So the clocking can be redundant and may annoy your employees.

Konstantyn B.
Industry: Information Services

Great tool with minor issues.

Reviewed on 2017/01/18

Last year TimeDoctor has an issue which is not going to be fixed. The counter is being looped over certain time, and thus the time is being lost. The issues happens 1-2 times per month and usually it can be caught. The bug is clearly seen when you compare your web $ app usage report per day with your timesheet.
The problem is that I have reported them several about this issue, sent them my cache files several times too, and they did nothing about that. They did nothing about that for more than half of the year. Now I met the issue again, they have all the data in their servers (web&app usage report), but they once again ask me for my cache files. Like it is the first time they see the issue.

Also note that their TimeDoctor Lite application consumes a lot of CPU time (20-30% of Core i5 4th gen), but you can install Pro version which is free.

Otherwise the tool is great, easy to use, with a lot of detailed reports.

Pros

It has all required features, and UX is very good. Everything is clear from min 1.

Cons

They have bugs which are not going to be fixed. And their support never tells you that. Asks for your Cache files, more details etc., but not fixing the issue.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Dianne mae P.

TimeDoctor is a very important tool for me as a freelancer, consultant and start-up entrepreneur.

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

I am able to maintain transparency with my clients at all times. TimeDoctor helps me track my hours and provide documented proof of work and give my clients a better view of how I complete my work/tasks.

It also helps me in managing my time better.

Pros

TimeDoctor is straightforward and easy to use.

I like that the desktop tool offers two versions: Pro and Lite, which helps you to choose the right application based on your usage and computer's resources.

TimeDoctor also has a lot of integrations - particularly to different Project Management tools. This is especially helpful with managing different clients who each have a different preference on the project management tool that they are using.

TimeDoctor is also very cost-efficient for me as a freelancer/consultant.

Cons

The price of additional users is a bit expensive for entrepreneurs who are just starting their own team, but overall, it is a worthwhile expense.

Industry: Performing Arts

Great for knowing how long a project took!

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

I'm keeping on task with the things that have to happen every day as well as have a way to look back and see what tasks are done at certain times of year. This helps us plan our department schedule for each upcoming year so we don't forget anything.

Pros

Create your own projects and tasks. Works great for keeping a step by step task list for each project. Ability to edit time for when software updates and/or restarts are required. I love using Time Doctor Pro as my personal time keeper at work.

Cons

Not so much of a con but more of a feature request: it would be great if the software kept some sort of log of active document time. I tend to work on a few documents at a time and it would be great to know how much time is spent on each document without having to manually switch projects/tasks for each document. I almost exclusively use Adobe Creative Cloud programs and Microsoft programs using Mac computers.

Joseph S.
Industry: Computer Software

Time Doctor takes the worry out of hiring remote workers!

Reviewed on 2018/03/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Users are generally satisfied with the ease of use, and managers are in heaven with the robust features. It has been heaven-sent for tracking our global, distributed workforce.

Pros

- Easily track hours and prove that your workers are actually working (the app tracks movement, poor time use, and also takes screenshots)
- Works on Windows, Mac, and mobile
- Customize the list of projects/tasks that your employees/contractors/freelancers can work on at any given time
- Dashboard and reports galore
- Integration with 30+ applications (at the time of writing this review): communication apps, invoicing apps, project management apps, IDE's, Google G Suite apps, etc.
- Handles payroll!

Cons

- Users have complained at times that the software is buggy and failed to track their time, but this has become less and less common over time

Stephanie G.

Best tool for tracking remote employees. We use it to track work hrs for our team in the Philippines

Reviewed on 2018/05/11

Pros

Accurate time tracking for tasks and projects
screen shots and app usage is one of my favorite features since it gives you a detailed info on where we spend the most time on our projects
fare pricing and bulk discounts :)
We integrate Time Doctor with asana for seamless task tracking
Love the ability to change time spend on tasks manually in case there is need for it
we get a weekly email with information on how our account is being use
We can also manage and track time with the IOS app

Cons

The desktop app looks a little old school on PC but is works fine.
wish they had a better way to create tasks and mark tasks as completed when these are created inside time doctor, instead of having to delete them once they are done

Response from Time Doctor

Hi Stephanie,

You can actually tick them complete with our most recent app which it Time Doctor version 0.19.9 You can download this new application from our download page at www.timedoctor.com/download.html

It should be this here: http://prntscr.com/jll3vk

Chad H.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Keeping Track with Time Doctor

Reviewed on 2019/09/20

Overall, very satisfied with Time Doctor. It's fairly simple to use, accurate, and fulfills my needs.

Pros

What I like most about Time Doctor is that it allows me to easily and accurately record the amount of time I'm working on a certain project or task. It allows me to show my clients how much time I was working on and how long each task took. I like that it also gives me a warning when I veer to a less-than productive site.

Cons

Don't really have any complaints. The only thing that I would like to be better handled is the dashboard where time is viewed. The issue I have is that I'm occasionally responsible for reviewing subordinate work flows and I feel that it's somewhat difficult to view their profiles as easy it is for myself. I'm sure there's an easier way to do this, but I havent found it yet.

Kathleen K.
Industry: Writing & Editing
Company size: Self Employed

Love how it keeps me accountable

Reviewed on 2016/12/06

I've been using Time Doctor for tracking my time for several years. I love how easy it is to use and how it hold you to account if it thinks you've changed focus. If I stop working on my project to take a phone call, it recognizes that I am no longer working on my computer. After my preset time has passed, Time Doctor pops up on my screen and asks, "Are you still working on X Project?" If the phone call is related to the project, I can say yes and include it in my time. If it is not, I can say no and Time Doctor will pause the timer for the project I was working on. The same is true if I am naughty and visit Facebook without pausing my timer.

Pros

It's intuitive function and how it knows to pause the timer if I quit working on a project.

Cons

The way it associates tasks and projects is a bit confusing at first.

Hitesh T.
Industry: Computer Software

Easy to use, time accuracy it maintain and support is very great.

Reviewed on 2017/07/12

Main target to use software is save the time and using this i can save lot so other time can spend for family, otherwise i have no track of that.
We do not have to worry about the time just click and start and stop, one more benefit report are generated automatically with various attributes which we can show to client.

Pros

Dashboard with different report with accuracy
Not allow us to open unwanted sites like fb, youtube etc
support is very kind
provide mobile support also

Cons

In Billing, once a card is added we cannot delete that. so it should be like we can delete and add new.
in desktop application its start record time when we set task name and press enter, instead of that we should click on the start button
in account we need to define some sites URL, so whenever user open that it stop time record without his permission.

Rubel T.
Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Very Useful!

Reviewed on 2020/10/14

So far, I am happy with the services that Time Doctor offers. If you could work on the web and app ratings per projects, that would be wonderful! ;)

Pros

I like the fact that we are able to measure our team's productivity especially that we're currently working remotely due to the pandemic. I have to admit that handling 30-40 staff members is a bit challenging in terms of measuring productivity but with Time Doctor, I don't have to worry about keeping an eye on my team from time to time. Very easy, just pull up the report and there you can see who has worked efficiently and not. I like it!

Cons

I know we have already raised this to Time Doctor but it would be great if there's a way for us to set ratings per project. I'm handling 10-12 projects at the moment and it's very challenging for me to still check regularly their web and app usage just to ensure that I am sending accurate reports to each clients. That's all

Jon K.
Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Works Well

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Happy, Had some glitches early on, but that was primarily because i had a very dated computer.

Pros

What I liked is how it captures the screenshots of the actual activity. With other ones we have used like Toggl it just tracks the time and doesnt show activity that way.

Cons

When I want to time a new activity and I type that activity and clickj play it will have a pop up that said this activity already exists. Which is silly, its like I know it exists thats why i selected it and wanted it to start recording. In an old version it would pull up the already existing activity. Now, I need to put it in the search bar to find the proper one. Why not have the search bar and new activity bar be the same, and if it is existing give me the options as oppose to just saying the task already exists where i then need to do an additional step to search for it or go scrolling through my list of all activities. Hope that makes sense.

Ruslan S.
Industry: Internet

Must-have for managing remote developers and freelancers

Reviewed on 2018/08/25

I'm using TimeDoctor for about 6 years across 3 different companies/teams, to manage remote workers. It helps me to track productivity, better estimate certain tasks in the future, and to quickly see when a person is not well-motivated.

Pros

1. It provides the abilities to track time in a really simple way.
2. It provides native applications for all major desktop OS (MacOS, Windows and Linux).
3. It provides the screenshots feature sometimes can really help to understand what's going on.
4. There's a really helpful team behind the product.

Cons

1. They removed GitHub integration.
2. Long and not-seamless sync of tasks with a remote system (I expect such things to work much faster and in background mode)
3. Our Linux developers sometimes experience issues with the app.