Meltwater

Monitor, analyse & engage online conversations in real-time.

Marah
  • Industry: Restaurants

A great resource for keeping up with the latest news and events.

Reviewed on 2023/01/10

Meltwater has helped us stay ahead of the competition on social media by giving us timely information on the topics we care about, which in turn has allowed us to refine our thinking and set up the most effective processes and tactics to reach our goals.

Pros

We were able to work together more efficiently thanks to Meltwater, and we were able to locate the information we required from social media platforms with greater ease because of the organization provided by the tool. Meltwater's search function is quite adaptable, providing us with a plethora of alternatives for precise tracking of what we're looking for, where we can simply prepare the topic that we're waiting for to be published, and when it's published on social media. To make sure we're always on the ball, Meltwater will provide us alerts instantly. Meltwater has a fantastic knack for laying down the information gathered in a way that is simple to understand for anyone.

Cons

While the simplistic nature of Meltwater's charts is a source of frustration for me, I have faith that the Meltwater will make efforts to enhance them in future versions.

David

Deceptive business practices and horrible customer service

Reviewed on 2021/01/06

Avoid this company at all costs. They have unethical and deceptive business practices.

Pros

It's easy to use and offers a robust contact list for reporters and media outlets. The daily reports are also helpful in seeing media mentions and areas of interest.

Cons

The customer service and their business practices are just unethical and deceptive. I caution anyone who is considering meltwater to understand that they will be automatically renewed for the next year if they don't give 90 days notice. Where is this listed? In a URL you have to click on that's buried in your agreement they send you. They don't separate it out, highlight it, or tell you anywhere else. Their customer service and management couldn't care less that they dupe you into another year at thousands of dollars. I wouldn't give this company the time of day, let alone my business ever again. Avoid at all costs.

Response from Meltwater

Hi David, we appreciate your honest review. We set a high standard for ourselves, so we are disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not a positive one. We will use this as an opportunity to improve.

• Used for 1+ year

Disingenuous business practices

Reviewed on 2018/12/11

Our organization is a client of Meltwater's and found the service was not benefiting us. The reports, stats and information provided were not beneficial.

I indicated to the account specialist, I wasn't sure we would be renewing when they sent me a confirmation for renewal on October 26, 2018. Their only discussion was about getting me best prices. I did not sign the renewal confirmation. Our services were to end January 14, 2019. At no time did they mention automatic renewal or that I needed to send a formal notice of termination.

On December 7th, in response to their many emails asking me to sign the renewal confirmation I advised them we would definitely not be renewing - 38 days before the services were to end. For the first time, they advised me we were automatically renewed and they would be sending us a bill. They said it was "preset"

I asked for the contract and was shocked to see the termination terms aren't even listed on the main contract page - they are instead buried in a link, under topics such as spam. A link, of course, can be altered at any time.

The contract document defines start and end dates, and makes no mention of automatic renewal. Your account reps make no mention of automatic renewal. I find this disingenuous.

Pros

Nothing - it said our reach was over 200 billion - there are less than 8 billion people on the planet.

Cons

It is redundant and doesn't deal with reality.

Amanda
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Great social media monitoring & journalist database tool

Reviewed on 2019/12/10

Tip to your sales team: stop being so aggressive and reading from a script it gets very annoying.

Pros

They have an extensive journalist database and their social media platform is great. Can connect several different clients' accounts and schedule posts and the metrics are great

Cons

Their sales team is extremely aggressive. Only hear from account reps when it's time for renewal and after you sign up they go silent when you have an actual issue.

Katie
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Meltwater is a Capable Social Monitoring Tool!

Reviewed on 2019/05/06

We primarily use Meltwater as a social media monitoring tool. We're a global organization, so it can be difficult to have a full picture of how our business is being referenced across the world. But Meltwater solves that problem!

Pros

Meltwater is very useful in being able to monitor what is being said about our company on a global scale on social media. I get an email every morning that shows me exactly who is saying what and on which platform. It links out to these references as well! From here I can take action and ensure that I'm staying ahead of any negative - and positive - remarks.

Cons

Meltwater's platform can be a bit tricky to learn. It's not a very simple platform - though it's relatively drag-and-drop, but you have to be uber-aware of how to put together the lists you need so everything will be monitored correctly. That's where the Account Managers come into play. So, on the whole, if you don't have a lot of time to learn the platform. I have no doubt it's easy once you get the hang of it, but I don't have that luxury!

Douglas
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Provides numbers and assistance we need

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

Meltwater provides us with the intelligence we need and an easy-to-use platform, to boot. It's a must-have.

Pros

Meltwater is fairly intuitive to use, though their reps will walk you through everything.

Cons

Seems there's always something new they want you to buy.

Cision

Meltwater = Too Expensive For Small Business, Good For Larger Operations

Reviewed on 2019/11/13

Overall, the algorithm changes on Instagram took away our use for discovering leads efficiently with the listening tool. The cost was no longer sustainable once it was not bringing in any additional revenue. It is a powerful tool, with great customer service, but I believe it is a little too pricey for smaller businesses.

Pros

I liked how robust the listening side of the software was. You could really dive into the results and pick up conversations that were happening around your brand that you otherwise would not have been able to see.

Cons

What I liked least about this software was that their social inbox was just Sprout Social. I was living within the engagement side of the software and saw little additional value. For those focusing solely on social listening, I recommend looking only at the component.

Jo

Incredibly Intuitive

Reviewed on 2021/03/25

The team are available on hand if needed, and very helpful and supportive of training, very much solution led in all areas. It's always been a positive experience working with them.

Pros

It's a great, easy to set up and easy to use platform, even if you're only using some of the features occasionally. In a small team it's really important to be able to utilise time effectively and this is a great tool to achieve that and cost effective too.

Cons

Nothing really - it's easy to use and great for what our organisation currently needs.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Not impressed.

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

Media contact information and a database to determine the relevant reporters would be immensely helpful to PR professionals, unfortunately, there has yet to be a provider that does this in an efficient, accurate and updated way.

Pros

These types of tools are somewhat of a necessary evil in the PR space when it comes to looking up media contacts. Meltwater is no worse than its competitors and about half the time will have the accurate, current contact information of the relevant reporter we are looking for.

Cons

Unfortunately the other half of the time, there is no specific contact information or publications are not even logged in the Meltwater databases. Often, every contact at a specific publication will be listed with the same generic contact email that's listed on the publication's website, making Meltwater's services essentially useless. User is also quite clunky to just be able to search for media outlets/contacts.

Maxim
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

convenient and clear email reports

Reviewed on 2022/02/07

Pros

The daily reports directly in my inbox are super convenient.

Cons

Twitter appears a lot on the reports, which is important because people are very vocal there.
But sometimes the reports show every single re-tweet in a huge disorganized list.
It would be great if the original tweet could be at the top, and all the duplicate re-tweets would only appear if we chose to 'expand' a list

• Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Review on Meltwater collaboration

Reviewed on 2021/03/25

Pros

Most relevant features are related to the fact that we could (relatively) easy see how our messages (key ones) were taken over by the media and the way these were interpreted. The universe around key topics and the geographical span.

Cons

Reports for certain topics. Not a digest with all media impacts, but a narrative, to also include metrics for positive/negative/neutral articles.

Julie
  • Industry: Research

Terrible for Analytics

Reviewed on 2020/01/13

I don't see how any analyst tested this tool. Doesn't include what I consider basic functionality. Requires multiple unnecessary steps to analyze data.

Pros

Customer Service is responsive. Tool is very affordable.

Cons

Social Analytics are awful. Problems include:
• Data Exports – Have to email data exports through individual chart widgets.
• Separate steps for creating queries and building dashboards with visuals.
• Have to create separate searches for News and Social separately – Duplicates work.
• Charts – Don’t have basic number labels, aren't usable.
• Can't download basic volume trend.
• Volume and Sentiment numbers do not match.

Ernest

Meltwater does the job

Reviewed on 2020/10/26

Excellent service and support.

Excellent service and support.

Pros

Ease of use and data base capture. It’s easy to set up an automated process for newsfeeds and reporting.

Cons

Exporting is not as advanced as I would like. Pdf and cvs are the main options. Formatting on export is less flexible.

Response from Meltwater

Ernest, we're glad to hear we delivered such a great experience. If there's anything further we can do for you, we are happy to help!

Michelle

Meltwater Review

Reviewed on 2019/11/23

Overall, my experience at Meltwater has been quite good.

Overall, my experience at Meltwater has been quite good.

Pros

Meltwater provides an in-depth media monitoring service with excellent analytics for reporting. I use Meltwater daily and having an automated media monitoring service with a personal account manager and live chat function is a great asset.

Cons

Customer service response times and reliability start to slow down during busy periods, like towards end-of-year reporting which can be quite frustrating.

Bertrand
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Expensive tool made for big corporations but not for start-ups

Reviewed on 2020/08/19

Pros

Not a lot to say. Overall we very disappointed by the too.l

Cons

Poor quality of the journalist user base. Lots of bounces when we write emails. Also abusive legal close to renew your contract with a 3 months notice period for a simple SAS and the sales person comes to you sending the invoice for the next period 2,5months before it ends. Finally, a customer service/success which is very pushy to always subscribe to very pricy solution and taking a yourself a lot of time with un-needed presentations. As a start-up manager of more than 20 employees, I was very disappointed by Meltwater services.

Louisa
  • Industry: Higher Education

User-friendly

Reviewed on 2021/03/25

Overall, a great product and gives excellent snapshot of media coverage.

Overall, a great product and gives excellent snapshot of media coverage.

Pros

Very easy and straightforward to use. Gives rich analytics data.

Cons

Boolean search terms can sometimes be 'off'.

• Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Meltwater makes media relations and PR easier

Reviewed on 2019/04/27

Meltwater really helps with media relations. It helps you target the right journalists for your news. If you do media outreach, you really need Meltwater.

Pros

What you can do with Meltwater you can't do with Cision. It's much easier to use and allows you to see who viewed your pitch so you can decide how to follow up. It makes media relations less of a thankless chore by helping you decide where to focus your efforts.

Cons

It's a little confusing to use. Once you have a tutorial, it's easier, of course, but I wouldn't say it's intuitive.

Eric

I do not recommend Meltwater

Reviewed on 2022/06/29

Customer service is horrid. That alone causes me to highly discourage anyone from using this product.

Pros

The daily emails with social media and article monitoring is useful but Google Alerts does the same.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company's customer service leaves much to be desired.

Marina
Marina
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

The success of my digital marketing strategy.

Reviewed on 2023/07/30

My experience has been very good, this platform is very detailed and precise, and its control panel is very complete and easy to use.

Pros

I like the social media analytics tools that allow me to monitor the online conversations that are impacting my brand and industry.

Cons

It would be ideal to have a higher update speed to be able to make more agile decisions.

Andrey
Andrey

All you need for monitoring mentions

Reviewed on 2019/11/29

Marketing awareness of brand and products by way of the social publishing tool

Marketing awareness of brand and products by way of the social publishing tool

Pros

I'm happy with that how a tool like Sysomos can be so amazing! It is great at monitoring media mentions and pull data from everywhere.
There are many sub-tools of Sysomos which are helpful in finding the relevant search results of the quiries you're looking for.

Cons

You need to work further to build the right search queries so to gather only high-quality and relevant results from searches.

• Industry: Consumer Electronics

Great article filtering for PR!

Reviewed on 2022/08/03

Pros

The filtering of relevant articles is unmatched by competitors. Also able to track multiple brands in the same account.

Cons

The report dashboard isn't as intuitive as I would like. There are lot of analytics that can be done but a bit difficult to set up exactly as I wanted the data to present.

Elaine

Excellent customer service

Reviewed on 2020/10/29

As an independent contractor, I am not familiar with the overall experience for Corcoran GL. I do know that the analytics are very good.

Pros

As a free lance writer, I am not an employee of Corcoran Global Living and was not involved in the purchase, cost analysis or review of the software. However, from the very beginning, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and staff have been available and pro-active to ensure a smooth operation. My skills are more literary and less technological (very much so), so I appreciate the help and the patience.

Cons

I haven't encountered any dislikes. So far, so good.

Response from Meltwater

Elaine, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything additional we can do for you.

Anna

Not the Best PR Tracking System Out There

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

Our experience with Meltwater was just okay. We ended up switching to Signal AI due to the machine learning that they were able to do to make sure the PR results we were seeing were accurate and up-to-date.

Pros

Meltwater has a clean dashboard/homepage and a pretty good customer service team, but there were more cons than there were pros in my experience with the software.

Cons

A lot of the times our saved searches for PR tracking would bring in irrelevant publication results that we couldn't use as actual results. When it came to using the service as a contact database, a lot of the contact information we'd come across was out of date. They have potential as a service, but for our needs they aren't the best option.

Amy

Media Platform

Reviewed on 2020/03/26

It was a good platform for tracking data and finding new resources

It was a good platform for tracking data and finding new resources

Pros

A complex platform with the abilities to showcase great insight for communications and media professionals

Cons

A lot of features and functions, sometimes not so intuitive or easy to use. Not much mobile functionality either.

Chad
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Great software

Reviewed on 2021/03/25

It's a great software that allows us to track our mentions across the media. It's helpful in reporting.

Pros

The interface is easy to navigate around making the customer experience enjoyable.

Cons

There aren't many cons bar the cost for the little time it gets used.