Cision Reviews

Cision

PR, marketing and media relations software

4/5 (59 reviews)
Bruce F.

An integral tool for social media marketing

Reviewed on 2019/04/08

We have an opinion that this service is a great solution for social media marketing. It can help you to build new contacts, make researches and communicate with clients. Moreover, it is easy to use, so you need to try it for sure.

Pros

There is no doubt that Cision is a perfect tool for marketing. This service offers the easiest way to find a particular influencer. With a help of a special menu, you can choose a precise category and choose a proper category in order to get an exact outcome. Moreover, it offers to pick up a theme or a location in order to find a person that is connected with the same informational field as you do. Cision is a great service for social media marketing. It has a solid database, flexible and user-friendly interface and many useful tools for marketing. With its assistance, you can turn into reality different marketing strategies within a second.

Cons

Unfortunately, Cision isn’t perfect. An automated search doesn’t work properly, so you to rely only on your personal research. Despite the fact that Cision has a profound database, it still lacks the data itself. Sometimes, their researches can be a little bit slow and there is no chance to find a particular person that you really want to find. Moreover, if you don’t know the right name of the influencer, you won’t find him or her at all.

Christine J.

A publicist's dream - perfect for researching media contacts

Reviewed on 2019/03/14

We use Cision for all of our pitching needs, and it's an invaluable tool for us. I've built lists for specific media campaigns using Cision's "covering..." function, and found niche outlets that I wouldn't have otherwise found. Overall, Cision is a great one-stop for most publicity needs.

Pros

I love how easy it is to look up an outlet and find the correct contact to reach out to with a particular pitch. It's also extremely easy to look up outlet circulations, which we research all of the time in order to maximize visibility. Cision is normally pretty up-to-date with different outlets, which is impressive in a constantly shifting media landscape.

Cons

Sometimes the search requirements can be a little too specific, and an outlet has to be typed in a very specific way to appear (i.e. with or without "the" in front, etc.) It'd be great if there were suggested terms, similar to Google, so that if you don't know the exact spelling of a last name you could still track down the contact.

David Z.

Ok media database, good monitoring, and everything else is disappointing.

Reviewed on 2019/02/22

Ok media database, good monitoring, and everything else is disappointing.

Pros

The Cision database is fairly complete. If you know who you are looking for, you can usually find their name and contact information there. The news monitoring function — alerts which track news published online — does a fairly good job of giving me a heads-up about coverage. If you want to track coverage by source type against particular names or keywords, Cision monitoring will sometimes produce sources that Google alerts will not, and it will usually beat the alerts by a day or so.

Cons

Reporter discovery is hard. Beat designations within Cision seem very rudimentary and “thick”— reporters listed as “Technology,” for instance, might cover “artificial intelligence” or “embedded analytics” or “machine learning” or some combination of the three. Given the fact that an off-beat pitch can easily result in a communications representative being added to a reporter’s spam list, it’s critical that you know exactly what a reporter is writing about, or risk having no way to contact a reporter ever again.

For media search, I needed Boolean search. Cision promised that functionality but, without getting too far into the limitations of their archiving, their provider agreements, and their search functionality, I found it a very clunky and inefficient way to search coverage on the fly. It's also super frustrating to be told that a publication is "in the database" but isn't searchable, because of licensing covenants.

5.0/10

A solid tool

Reviewed on 2019/10/13

Would recommend Cision for capturing media coverage.

Pros

I use Cision at least on a weekly basis to search for media coverage for a multitude of clients. What a lifesaver. It does an amazing job to find media coverage worldwide and some stuff on social media.

Cons

It takes a while to set up for each client. Thank god that Cision support helps with this. Sometimes connecting with your Cision rep is difficult and takes time. Their social media coverage needs some work but they have made strides.

Still the Industry Leader

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

Again, Cision still rules the field. Having had experience with several other similar platforms I can say that it remains the most reliable product out there to get the job done.

Pros

While many will say that the platform is a bit dated, Cision remains the gold standard in its field. The reliability, usability, and overall data quality makes me an extremely satisfied customer. Cision certainly excels at obtaining contact information and list building.

Cons

Cision's data analysis could be better. I often find myself using a service like Netbase to get deeper data concerning "what" people are saying exactly.

Megan S.

Used it during Vocus/Cision transition

Reviewed on 2017/09/22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Access to tens of thousands of journalists is useful as a PR practitioner. It also does a great job of tracking insights like tone and monitoring where your organization appears in the news.

Cons

We constantly found journalists who hadn't been at their newspaper for over two years. Contact information is frequently outdated. The cost is practically that of a full-time employee. The PRWeb newswire they advertise frequently sends releases to websites with zero traffic, but counts it as a hit. And while their analytics are useful, I'd often go back to a prior month and run the same search string as before and be returned different numbers than the first time. It's hard to trust data that doesn't remain constant.

6.0/10

Quick, easy to use, impactful

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

Pros

As a PR professional, Cision is vital to me. I use it everyday and it can be a huge help in identifying targets across the globe. They are always updating the platform and making it easy to save and search lists.

Cons

I don't like how when you use the quick search, having the right spacing of the publication name is important to finding the publication. Additionally, cision will sometimes kick you out of the platform while you are working on lists and those lists wont get saved and you have to start all over. The look and feel of the platform is a little outdated and could use a refresh.

Eli S.

Cision — Great product for PR pros

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Truly one of the best public relations and communications softwares in the business. Having done trials with many others, it is clear that Cision is head and shoulders above the rest.

Pros

Comprehensive data base that is easy to search and find reporters; pitching made easier with CRM database and easy customizability

Cons

Can be very sensitive to pronoun use when searching for media outlets that can make it difficult to find.

Dan C.

Cision for your Media Needs

Reviewed on 2019/01/22

Have been using CISION for years, back when it was VOCUS. It's my go-to, use-every-day tool that helps me keep track of media placements and what I use for media distribution given that CISION is the only such tool that gives me access to both PRWeb and PRNewswire.

Pros

Great for doing research on publications, writers, etc., and superb tool for media release distribution.

Cons

Cost. It's a great tool, but not inexpensive.

Lea L.

Good if you're on a budget, but...

Reviewed on 2017/09/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I'm so disappointed with all of the people I've encountered at Cision over the past 18 months.

Pros

This is a great affordable solution for those monitoring their media (and social media) mentions and you're on a budget.

Cons

1. The interface is clunky
2. Sometimes they miss monitoring sites that may be firewall/subscription protected
3. Customer services isn't the best - you are dependent on Cision to change the keywords you're monitoring for vs having the freedom to do it yourself.
4. Training was not clear. We went through it several times, and never received the same guidance. Very confusing. And when there were changes mid-subscription, it took a week to get our new updates implemented and support to use the newer interact.
5. When renewing our service, our sales rep made promises on the phone and discussed price with us. We received a contract a week later with 5 days to sign and return it OR they threatened to increase our price by 5-7%! Completely unacceptable, as we have had a relationship with Cision for years! Our company has a process to sign a contract, and it's definitely longer than 5 days!

3.0/10
Courtney R.

Cision review

Reviewed on 2018/10/02

My company can distribute materials in a broad and efficient manner thanks to Cision!

Pros

I like that Cision stores journalists information in a neat and efficient manner, making it easy to personally reach out and mass distribute public relations material.

Cons

I don't like that Cision's contact information can be outdated.

Good tool for media contacts.

Reviewed on 2018/01/09

You need the contacts, Vocus has them.

Pros

Lots of great media contacts for all categories from technology to finance, consumer products to juvenile goods and everything in between.

Cons

It's expensive. I get that it is hard to keep these lists current with all the movement and magazine closings...

Joshua T.

Cision does the work for you

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/05/04

We did a lot of manual grind searching in Google and Bing for opportunities, Cision has helped us quicken that process without worrying if we had a good resource to reach out to or not.

Pros

The ability to reach out and find people for link ops or for content ops is amazing. The reach and database they have built for this is impressive. We've done several "expert pieces" for clients and the fact we can use this to curate the content we have has sped up our process. Cision's quality of reporters is also nice to trust. We know they don't let just anyone in their database and it allows us to pick and chose who we want to work with.

Cons

It's pricey, but you pay for the high quality of resources which benefits you and your clients in the long run.

Alex V.

Great database and ability to filter contacts

Reviewed on 2018/04/23

Powerful list building and monitoring capabilities

Pros

Cision put monitoring, and outreach together in one platform and made it easy to build media lists of relevant contacts

Cons

I was using an older version of Cision (CisionPoint) which was very slow, but this appears to have been fixed in the new cloud platform. Not intuitive or easy to fix search terms (again I think this has been updated)

Jessica S.

Time saver boon for media database build-up

Reviewed on 2017/05/17

Pros

Cision is an invaluable asset when it comes to building media databases quickly and effectively. I manage public relations across different countries, and this tool helps me save a considerable amount of time and resources. Not only it provides journalists' names, contact details, interests and social media accounts: Cision also offers outlet stats, including readership and ad rates, as well as editorial opportunities. A great aid when it comes to pitching the right story to the right journalist.

Cons

Cision's database is vast but it's not complete. Not all media contacts are actually working and updated, so there's a certain probability to get few bounce emails. Another minus is that it does not provide a list of the journalists' latest published articles - a functionality offered by Cision's competitors, which is extremely helpful when pitching to the media -.

Kathy N.

Cision Platform Review

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

The benefits I received are the open & click rates of my new releases. So if I notice that one of my important editors didn't open it it allows me to resend to that editor.

Pros

The ease of the platform is extremely good! The on-board training I received from account manager was extremely through. Also, sending out emails are very easy.

Cons

I don't really have any cons about the platform.

Can't live with it, Can't live without it

Reviewed on 2018/08/16

When it comes to media databases, none are really amazing. Cision is one of the top contenders and a necessary evil for PR.

Pros

Cision works when you want to find a specific reporter's email; i.e. you know their name and publication. It's also helpful in figuring out the email formats of different publications.

Cons

It's not very intuitive. If you type in the name of an outlet, for example, all outlets that have any part of the words used in the query will appear. Results require a lot of manual sorting to figure out what is relevant to your search and what isn't.

5.0/10
Jake T.

The Only Press Release Tool Worth The Time & Money

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/09/06

Cision is an excellent partner for releasing, disributing and getting visibility for press releases. Our news feels seen - in the best way possible - and feels like we have a very effective partner in Cision.

Pros

Cision makes users feel like their press releases and news are being seen and heard by the correct audiences and that such press releases actually make some waves - we have consistenly seen feeback, outreach and other traffic when posting to and using Cision.

Cons

My only complaint with Cision is that their internal search can sometimes qualify or disqualify press releases for certain topics/categories/indsutries into diferent baskets and categories than they ought to belong to, but this has a seemingly minimal impact on a campaign's overall performance.

Cision

Reviewed on 2018/08/23

While its a business necessity for my line of work, Cision could be a smoother experience overall and could be more user friendly.

Pros

Cision is a great resource to have when evaluating media outlets and using it as a database to access contacts of these media outlets

Cons

Hard to navigate, UVM seems overly inflated, and not all the outlets are accessible online. Also, when searching for outlets its hard to navigate because the online version of news is considered a separate outlet from the paper or magazine version, when they're owned by the same entity.

Lauren T.

It's expensive but has up-to-date lists of hard-to-find contacts at major media outlets.

Reviewed on 2017/05/16

Pros

The contact information and search features are extensive, so you can find exactly who you want to reach in the markets that you need. Even the pesky ones who purposely don't want their information published.

Cons

List-building can be confusing (or at least, it used to be before I had to cancel), and sometimes too much knowledge can be overwhelming--without knowing how PR works, you can easily blast your information to all the wrong people, and make a gigantic fool out of yourself. This is not for DIY-ers just getting started!

7.0/10
Krista S.

we decided to end our subscription and opt for HubSpot instead

Reviewed on 2017/12/14

Pros

I liked our ability to send press releases and manage social media from the same account. However, other software offered more options and automation features in one central location.

Cons

The limited capabilities. We really needed something that automated more of what we do (email, social media, press releases, blog writing, analytics) all in one place. We ended up only using Vocus to send press releases, which wasn't worth the high price.

Makes PR work easier than ever

Reviewed on 2018/05/10

Pros

I used this when i interned in the PR world. It made my job SO much easier. The searches are effortless and it brings you right to the contact information that you need.

Cons

Sometimes you can be searching for a blogger or media outlet with a very general name and have to pick through to find the right one.

Michelle G.

Cision is popular - but I find it hard to use for simple basics

Reviewed on 2017/09/21

Pros

Cision is the most popular media database out there. It has the ability to do a lot of things. You can search for all types of media contacts, build lists, etc.

Cons

My experience is mixed, however, as I find it a bit hard to use for basics like searching or building a list. It's also expensive. I'd consider alternatives before purchasing.

6.0/10

Necessary evil of the PR industry

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

Pros

Once you have figured out how to navigate Cision to get the information you need, it is relatively straightforward to use. Can be a good starting point when building lists, etc.

Cons

Missing critical reporter contact information across all types of publications, not very "smart" in terms of search and pulling only the truly relevant results from keywords.

4.0/10

Very helpful in the public relations field,

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Creating media lists, finding media target contact information

Pros

I love how it can easily create media lists, with very little time. It is great to use in a pinch to find media target contact information

Cons

The user experience seems to be a little outdated. The look and feel of the software could definitely use a more modern update