Zen Planner

4,3 (232)
Comprehensive Member & Business Software for Gyms + Studios

Jody B.
  • Industry: Sports

Very Helpful Customer Service!!!

Reviewed on 2019/02/04

Zen Planner software has enabled our company to introduce a program to our customers in a seamless fashion. Their customer service was vital in helping us with this process.

Pros

The software is very slick and versatile!

Cons

There was a lot to learn that I wasn't familiar with.

Response from Zen Planner

Happy to hear it - thanks Jody!

Itzak L.
  • Industry: Sports

Perfect for managing a martial arts studio

Reviewed on 2021/05/24

I was really impressed on how well they understand how martial art schools work. The software takes into account everything you need to keep your school running - from scheduling out classes students reserve for, to taking payments and setting up merchant accounts, to desk check-in software, to students having their own portal to track their membership and status. Customer support was very helpful during the onboarding.

Pros

You can tell this software was designed for martial artists. One of my favorite things you can do is designate belt rankings to students, and design your system in a way that when a student is ready to test for the next belt, whether its the amount of time they've been training with the studio, to achieving certain skills required, Zen Planner notifies you and helps you plan belt testing. I loved that they recognize how important it is for martial art schools to know where students rank. I was able to plan out all my belts, what skills are required and minimum of time with the school they need to have to test. Most gym software don't recognize all the small nuances that martial art schools need to track where their students stand.

Cons

The apps for desk login can be a little buggie sometimes and require an update or reset the iPad to get the software to work.

Reasons for Switching to Zen Planner

Zen Planner was designed for martial arts schools, not your typical gym. There are a lot of things we need to track that most gyms don't need to track, whether its belt rankings, to skills, to testing. Their pricing was also much more fair than other software like Mindbody.

Response from Daxko

Thank you so much for your review. We are proud to empower and serve martial arts communities around the globe.

Fyonna V.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

[SENSITIVE CONTENT] the Onboarder is FANTASTIC, I am so impressed

Reviewed on 2022/05/04

so far so awesome

Pros

We had challenges with paysafe integration, and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] stepped in to fix, I am running a busy studio plus teaching/coaching and she was a dream to work with ( I was not), such an asset to Zen,

Cons

color schemes, and the time it took to imput information that was just not a skillset i had, I learned and I am glad it took time

Liz M.
  • Industry: Sports

Used it for three years - feature rich but hard to use

Reviewed on 2020/12/02

We switched from Mindbody to Zenplanner and used it for three years. Zenplanner is chock full of features (other than membership discounts, as mentioned above), but it's so full of features that it becomes clunky and hard to use. I could do just about anything from my admin account, but my fellow coaches who spent less time in it had a harder time working with it. Customers also struggled a lot. We have now switched to Upper Hand, and while it has fewer features and the reports aren't as good, our customers are actually booking their own classes instead of making me do it.

Pros

I was the primary account administrator, and I could fix just about anything retroactively. Once you really know your way around, it's got almost everything you could think to want.
There are a lot of customization options for emails you can send your customers, and it was easy to check which emails an individual had opened.
The reports were great. Best reporting I've seen, and it's pretty much the only thing I'll miss.
Support was good - very responsive, with multiple ways to contact them. I also appreciated the discounts they gave businesses at the start of the COVID shutdowns.

Cons

The software was very difficult for customers to use, so much that about half of our parents (and a couple of our coaches) just wanted me to do everything for them. Doing so on my end was time-consuming.
Zenplanner offers some options to integrate with our existing website, but it didn't work in every circumstance. What customers could do from our primary domain was pretty limited, and it wasn't easy to switch back and forth between our site and the ZP site.
Zenplanner does not offer automatically-applied membership discounts, so we had to have customers use offer codes. Membership discounts (such as on retail or private lessons) are pretty standard in fitness businesses and not having that option was a major pain.
There was no way to easily see which coaches had availability at which times.

Teagan K.

Finally Found the Right System

Reviewed on 2019/10/08

This software has made this much more simple and allowed us to enhance our customers experience in our facility!

Pros

-Set up was detailed step by step process and had video reviews that our staff could go back to
-Customer service is the best that we have seen
-Hotline always has a person you can talk to (have answered every question we have had and has taught us how to solve the problem should it ever come up again)
- Hotline is available 7am-7pm
-Email (you can send a detailed email and have it answered within one business day)
- Our on-boarding assistant fallowed up with us after a month to make sure everything was running
- Has easy quick reporting
- Great schedule (imbeds into website so you do not have to leave company page)
-Great point of sale (imbeds into website so you do not have to leave company page)
- Mobil app is simple for customers and makes scheduling simple

Cons

online mobil site cannot work with out cookies which most smart phones automatically disable so we needed to send out an email with instructions on how to enable them

GymMaster and EZFacility

Reasons for Choosing Zen Planner

We just got away from using a software system that told us they could do everything that we told them we needed and did not, when we needed help to figure out how to fix problems they could only be reached via email and gave us run around answers, and finally when we addressed that we did not like that we were not happy that they were not able to do what they originally told us they could they yelled at us telling us we needed to change our business to fit them. We are so happy to now be using Zen who has gone above and beyond to make sure their system fits exactly what our business needs. Their customer service is top notch! Everyone of their members is friendly and helpful!

Reasons for Switching to Zen Planner

Zen planner had everything that we need and everything that we were ready to sacrifice thinking that no software system would have.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you for the review, Teagan! We're glad you've found the right system for your business!

Kim R.

You can't beat their support team!

Reviewed on 2019/09/18

I am love the people at ZP. There isn't one person I've come in contact with that hasn't been helpful, positive, encouraging, understanding and cheerful. I went to their office because I was starting a new program and wanted help with the set up of the program and the membership. They set me up with one person to be my helper that day. Now what company will do that? I can tell you that no other software company I've used would've offered me that. Also, love the Zen Academy. I learned about so many more things the software could do for me that I wasn't either using or doing in a google spreadsheet . So now ZP is helping me save more precious time and I'm learning more about my business in the process. Thank you reports and automations!

Pros

Honestly, their customer support! However, I don't have to call often as the on boarding team set me up wonderfully to begin with. But the support articles answer almost all my questions so I don't have to call. I am a small studio and don't have a front desk staff but ZP does it all for me (well, allows my clients to do it all for me). It is super easy to use on all fronts.

Cons

I have't run into anything that I don't like. I use ZP on my laptop in a web browser and I've found it confusing to try the staff app on my phone or tablet. This old dog struggles with learning new tricks :) So we can't blame ZP for that.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for your feedback, Kim!

Jen S.

Customer support is outstanding

Reviewed on 2020/02/20

I'd give it a B- on a grading scale. The customer support is outstanding but any time you want to go beyond just keeping track of how many students you have, things become way too complicated.

Pros

Customer support really is top notch. The on boarding team is fantastic and truly went out of their way to ensure we had every available resource for success. Any little quirky issue or question we have is answered quickly and professionally by the customer support team. They are fantastic.

Cons

The basics are great but it seems to go from "ok to use" to "I have absolutely no idea what to do here" the minute any complication arises. There does not need to be a "staff user" and a "kiosk mode" on the Ipads, it confuses everyone and wastes a lot of time. Converting reports to pdf feature should be a breeze, but doesn't convert the entire report and is useless. It should have a much easier pos system as well. No real way for instructors to leave notes for students, why not? Never use the mass email or text because its just too complicated-these things can be fixed if they gave it some attention.

Reasons for Switching to Zen Planner

Because they harassed us relentlessly and were so annoying we wouldn't even consider them. Didn't have too many options at first.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks, Jen, we'll pass your good words on to our customer support team!

Drew S.

easy to use to run my business for apointment settings

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

this has done wonders for my business I dont need someone to confirm appointments

Pros

when setting apointments customers can do it online and it sends out confirmations and reminds of appointments so they have no excuse to not miss an appointment

Cons

could be cheaper per month. sometimes is slow but does the job

Genbook

this was easier to use

Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Zen Planner

the cost per month and was given a free trial

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you for the kind words, Drew!

Michael M.

Worst customer service possible

Reviewed on 2021/05/27

Zen Planner is absolutely the worst. I decided to go with a different program and half way through the porting process we thought it would be simpler to simply stay with Zen Planner. Nope, they never called us back.

Pros

I really didn't like anything about it. It was overly complicated, redundant and the same glitches existed for years.

Cons

It was hard to maintain an idea of what our client base actually was. Some clients were counted twice. We had to check 3 different areas to make sure our billing was going through.

Kicksite

Reasons for Choosing Zen Planner

Mindbody was even more difficult and rarely ever had anyone you could talk to in their customer service. Additionally more expensive.

Price.
Alejandro L.

Excellent product with futures that are practical, easy to use, and visually appealing

Reviewed on 2018/07/13

Endless , independence and function. Being a small business owner it allows me to run and automate many things such as financial reports, workouts, attendance. Reservation, automations of emails for customer retention , sales funnel , customer support, technically forward thingkong woth use of apps for iPad and iPhone to allow me to function on the run , away from the office, in the field, and manage coaches.

Pros

I love zenplanner. They started out with few features and no apps but they promised to improve regularly and they deliver. In the short 4 years I have been using they have incorporated a staff app for the iPhone, a users app to reserve, keep track of workouts , PRs, billing and much more. an app for the front desk to use as checking in, reserving, adding new clients at ease. On each of these products they improve and incorporated new needed features faster than any software I have ever used. Their customer service is truly second to none. Helping you not only in the set up stage but anytime you need help and they work to resolve your problem immediately. The software not only is packed full of great functions for financial, workout writing and publishing, emailing automation, reports of attendance, finances , and mass email intervention but it does it with a sleek appearance that is not only visually appealing but with an easy of use that it's simple and powerful.

Cons

Software is still growing and some features , not many anymore, can be improved. This is truly the worse thing I can think off as I have tried many many others do never been so satisfied and impressed with them delivering a great product and on a regular bases truly adding features to improve it without making it more complicated for the user.

Beth G.

Good Overall Studio Management Software

Reviewed on 2019/07/10

The migration process was rocky. About 30% of the database has inaccuracies. They need to improve and automate this process. Tech support is excellent. Customer support was slow to resolve a billing issue I had. They refused to speak to me on the phone and did not return emails. But everything finally got straightened out with persistence on my part, and an effort to make up for the issue on their part. Overall, customer support is generally very good. The software works well, is not buggy. Overall, I really like the software except for the way purchasing works.

Pros

Reporting is excellent, the best I've seen. I like the fact you can create your own reports. After learning how to use the system we have been able to create any reports we need. That is definitely not the case for Mindbody or Wellness Living. The Kiosk application is nice to have and our clients like it, but needs some improvement. The Front Desk and Kiosk Applications are easy to learn which is helpful as we have 10 teachers at the center.

Cons

The POS system does not work like all other online systems (choose what you want, put in user info, payment info then press complete or check out and credit card is charged), and works differently in their different interfaces. The Front Desk software does not allow for discounts (that is being addresses in a future release). The Dashboard processes the sale, then you have to process the payment separately in a different step. In the beginning we lost sales because our staff was confused. Many of my teachers are still unsure whether a sale goes through or not. When the Front Desk application can accept accept discounts and credit card swipes it will greatly improve the POS process.

The client kiosk does not include a form for entering info for new clients and signing a waiver. For some strange reason that is on the staff side of the application. We keep it on the staff application but it means after a client signs the waiver they could get to a screen that offers a free class, which we do not actually offer. I have a hard time understanding why that is baked into their software, it is not considered a best practice. We have found work arounds for these issues but would like to see an updated and more robust kiosk application.

The automated emails are very good and it integrates with Mail Chimp. You can also implement a retention process with tasks assigned to different people.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for the feedback, Beth!

Maribel T.

Keeps me organized

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

I'm not the most organized person and doing all admin, billing as well a coaching my clients, Zen Planner helps to keep the back end of my business organized and running smoothly. The automations are great if they're set up correctly. Their customer support is amazing!! Not much waiting time and my issues are always resolved. When I started, they're pricing was pretty competitive. Although, they've gotten much pricier over the past year.

Pros

Having automated billing, emails and scheduling. Being able to pull billing reports at a moment's notice to see where my finances are is a plus.

Cons

Having so many options for reports and automations. It can be very confusing at times and sometimes having two steps to accomplish a task isn't clear.

Mindbody and ClubReady

Reasons for Switching to Zen Planner

The price, automations and their customer support.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you, Maribel!

Mike C.

Cheaper, better, friendlier

Reviewed on 2019/05/27

I love their service and how much they've helped me. I would like the ACH only option for memberships though!

Pros

The customer service and ease of use, especially that everything you would essentially need is included with ZenPlanner, unlike MindBody or Triib. It's also cheaper because of PaySimple's merchant integration and I don't think most fitness businesses need the add ons that MindBody has and that you would pay for. I think being a good business owner, setting clearly defined roles and tasks for employees, and making sure they do them will lead to more sales than a email/text bot from MindBody.

Cons

I think the client facing side of signing up for memberships could be a little easier, for instance: you can't have a ACH only membership option, you do need an iPad or computer of which to then use ZenPlanner's Front Desk for, but I do know ZenPlanner is teaming up with PaySimple to possibly release a device to use instead of an iPad or computer.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks Paul! We appreciate your feedback and kind words.

Alyssa R.

Best Customer Service On The Planet

Reviewed on 2017/05/04

Sanity.

Pros

Zen Planner seamlessly integrates everything we need as a gym. Although there are still key features we would like, what is there works well and allows us to keep all customer data and interactions in one place, which makes our life easier. Perhaps most importantly, best customer service on the planet. No matter how small an issue, they respond immediately. And when we recently had an ENORMOUS problem, that was totally our fault, our rep worked on it over the weekend for us. He saved our sanity, and thousands of dollars. I can't imagine that kind of service anywhere else.

Cons

My only real gripes are things that don't exist and need to. I would like my members to be able to purchase retail items and check-in using their app. Both of these features exist in the staff app, but not the member app. Also, I would like an option to NOT have a gender field at registration. I find the gender binary pointless and it's offensive to our trans and nonconforming clients.

Paul D.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Happy to be back!

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

The reintroduction to Zen planner has been great. I'm learning new things and I'm excited about the dashboard that will show me exactly what's going on every day at first glance. It's exciting that I can customize it as well!

I can't say enough good things about my onboarding coach. She was and continues to be amazing support with Zen Planner. I appreciate all of her patience and genuine interest in helping me utilize the software to its​ maximum potential for my business.

I'm looking forward to growing with Zen Planner

Pros

I left for about four years because I felt like the software was missing some integral parts for my business.

Now I was needing something different and looked at Zen Planner again. The​ changes they have made over the past four years has been amazing.

This is not a company that sits idle and is content with the status quo

Cons

The system is a little complex but I believe it's more to do with the novelty of it and all of its features.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks Paul! We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you are enjoying the new features and updates!

Brian K.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Great Fitness Specific Software

Reviewed on 2019/11/07

Love it. Never going to leave them.

Pros

Cost for sure, ease of use, the user experience for client is also very simple.

Cons

I can't say there are any other "cons" - If i'm being nit picky they could give a bit more time towards automatic PDF invoices. Some of their invoicing procedures don't have a simple suer experience.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you so much for the review Brian, we really appreciate it!

Jayne Y.

Great Software, Even Better Customer Support!

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

If I ever have an issue with the software, or a question on how to do something (like create a custom report) the customer support is always outstanding.

Pros

I have been using Zen for 10 years. The program is so easy to use & I am always finding new things to do with it.

Cons

When creating reports for attendance or payment history for a client, I would love to have our business name show at the header.

Reasons for Switching to Zen Planner

Zen integrated with our payment processing seamlessly.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you Jayne, we appreciate the kind words!

Alejandro L.

Awesome and they continue to work to add new and wanted fuctionality

Reviewed on 2017/05/11

One stop shop for managing my business. Automation. And the ability to do a lot with little or no staff.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to manage. It has a great modern look and they don't try to bundle everything in one app. They have different apps for sing in, staff use, and member. I love the reports, and the face check in. Easy to find athletes by their face. Great for when you have new staff. It truly is a great bundle for workout tracking, integration with current website, and integration with marketing emails. All things other companies charge extra for. I would and have recommended this software to other gym and martial art owners.

Cons

The apps are great for managing but missing some fuctionality such as being able to schedule privates on the app. They where missing staff clicks in, retail sales but they have recently added those. Hard to find much I dislike and what I do they don't seem to be standing still, adding new function all the time.

Justin O.

Workhorse

Reviewed on 2019/07/20

zenplanner does exactly what you need a CRM tool to do most, it manages your current customers. Sure it integrates well for other uses such as lead capture, retail purchases, payroll, etc. Bit what I love is that it never fails at what we really need it to do, allow our service to be used by our customers, collect payments and evaluate customer data, allowing us to retain more members.

Pros

Reporting capabilities are immense allowing us to evaluate our business’ performance metrics and understand exactly what to focus on improving.

Customer service is the best out of any service our business uses.

Cons

It is very hard to learn how to use on your own. But, if you take the initiative to ask for help and training, the staff will teach you and save you hundreds of frustrating hours.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you for the good words, Justin!

Mary ellen C.

Solid Product for Crossfit Gyms

Reviewed on 2019/10/29

I do not use it for my business, but have used it as an avid fitness enthusiast for over 2 years. It is nice when gyms all over the country use this software. I can have multiple gym memberships under 1 zenplanner account and switch between them.

Pros

I have used this program at 3 crossfit facilities and have enjoyed it for viewing WODs, signing up for classes, and storing workout information and PRs. I enjoy the leaderboard feature and the support you can give your gym mates.

Cons

I wish you could add features like workout videos for various exercises that are scheduled. I find some gyms do not utilize all of the features correctly, and that can make the app rather pointless. If you are not using this app to sign up for classes, log workouts, not using the leader board feature, you really aren't getting your money's worth.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for the review, Mary Ellen! We've recently integrated our software with SugarWOD to improve our WOD experience even more!

Gavin V.

Tried the others, using Zen Planner

Reviewed on 2020/02/11

Extremely positive.

Pros

Extremely user friendly. I could figure out how it worked quite easily and i am not a tech Wiz which I found to be quite pleasing.

Cons

the common problems that happens with all of the software like it. when the whole system goes down. It is not unique to ZP it has happened with others as well.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you for the good words, Gavin!

Logan L.

Customer service is THE best

Reviewed on 2021/07/27

Once you learn how to use the system, it's easy to charge people and view membership history. There are so many financial tools available and that side can get a little confusing (like narrowing down your quarterly taxes is a bit of a hassle). I have yet to find a product with better customer support. They always answer promptly and always have a solution.

Pros

This software makes it easy to track membership history, but the BEST thing about Zen Planner is their customer service. They're friendly, they answer fast and they ALWAYS know how to fix an issue.

Cons

Zen Planner is quite an advanced system, so it is easy to get lost. Luckily, the customer service is always there to save you (except for holidays and off-hours of course). The app sometimes crashes. It could use an update.

Response from Daxko

Thanks so much for leaving your review, Logan! We appreciate the feedback and having you in the Zen Planner community.

Chris A.

Constantly surprises and improves

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

Pros

The more I learn about this software (partly due to their fantastic customer help team) the more I love it and the more it gives me back time! I still think I have barely scratched the service In its capabalities and I'm excited to learn more.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve but thats the same for all software. The basics at first is all you will need.

Wodify

Reasons for Switching to Zen Planner

Recommendation from a friend and I had used the other two previously with other gyms

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks Chris, we think our support team is pretty fantastic too!

Ricky S.

Game changer

Reviewed on 2020/03/06

Just amazing! I truly have been very excited with this software and I enjoy interacting with it in a daily basis.

Pros

What I liked most about this software was the amount of things that it can do to not only help manage the numbers but keep the clients engaged and happy. I am also always amazed by the competence of the customer support team who I have called several times with questions I thought would be complicated but were not to them! I really appreciate this software and I really think my customers do again. I would recommend to anybody in the martial arts industry!

Cons

I couldn't think of anything in particular that I didn't like but if I had to say something it would be that I wish it would be more engaging with my actual website. The thing is that it probably can, I just don't know how to yet.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you Ricky!

Colin D.

Solid software, great support.

Reviewed on 2019/04/07

Zen Planner takes care of our membership tracking, payments, scheduling. It can be a powerful tool if you know how to use it.

Pros

We've used Zen Planner in our gym for six years, and it's been pretty uneventful overall - which is what you want with such software. It does its job with a minimum of drama. Any issues we've had have been dealt with in a timely fashion. We do not use the workout programming feature (we went with SugarWOD for that), so I can't comment on that particular feature.

Cons

Zen Planner is good about making constant improvements, but there have been some things over the years that are a bit clunky and not necessarily intuitive to use. It's likely a function of building incremental improvements into existing software rather than starting with a clean slate.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for the feedback, Colin!