Zen Planner Reviews

Zen Planner

Comprehensive Member Mgmt Solution for Fitness Businesses

4.4/5 (159 reviews)
Alejandro L.

Excellent product with futures that are practical, easy to use, and visually appealing

Reviewed on 2018/07/13

Endless , independence and function. Being a small business owner it allows me to run and automate many things such as financial reports, workouts, attendance. Reservation, automations of emails for customer retention , sales funnel , customer support, technically forward thingkong woth use of apps for iPad and iPhone to allow me to function on the run , away from the office, in the field, and manage coaches.

Pros

I love zenplanner. They started out with few features and no apps but they promised to improve regularly and they deliver. In the short 4 years I have been using they have incorporated a staff app for the iPhone, a users app to reserve, keep track of workouts , PRs, billing and much more. an app for the front desk to use as checking in, reserving, adding new clients at ease. On each of these products they improve and incorporated new needed features faster than any software I have ever used. Their customer service is truly second to none. Helping you not only in the set up stage but anytime you need help and they work to resolve your problem immediately. The software not only is packed full of great functions for financial, workout writing and publishing, emailing automation, reports of attendance, finances , and mass email intervention but it does it with a sleek appearance that is not only visually appealing but with an easy of use that it's simple and powerful.

Cons

Software is still growing and some features , not many anymore, can be improved. This is truly the worse thing I can think off as I have tried many many others do never been so satisfied and impressed with them delivering a great product and on a regular bases truly adding features to improve it without making it more complicated for the user.

Mike C.

Cheaper, better, friendlier

Reviewed on 2019/05/27

I love their service and how much they've helped me. I would like the ACH only option for memberships though!

Pros

The customer service and ease of use, especially that everything you would essentially need is included with ZenPlanner, unlike MindBody or Triib. It's also cheaper because of PaySimple's merchant integration and I don't think most fitness businesses need the add ons that MindBody has and that you would pay for. I think being a good business owner, setting clearly defined roles and tasks for employees, and making sure they do them will lead to more sales than a email/text bot from MindBody.

Cons

I think the client facing side of signing up for memberships could be a little easier, for instance: you can't have a ACH only membership option, you do need an iPad or computer of which to then use ZenPlanner's Front Desk for, but I do know ZenPlanner is teaming up with PaySimple to possibly release a device to use instead of an iPad or computer.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks Paul! We appreciate your feedback and kind words.

Alyssa R.

Best Customer Service On The Planet

Reviewed on 2017/05/04

Sanity.

Pros

Zen Planner seamlessly integrates everything we need as a gym. Although there are still key features we would like, what is there works well and allows us to keep all customer data and interactions in one place, which makes our life easier. Perhaps most importantly, best customer service on the planet. No matter how small an issue, they respond immediately. And when we recently had an ENORMOUS problem, that was totally our fault, our rep worked on it over the weekend for us. He saved our sanity, and thousands of dollars. I can't imagine that kind of service anywhere else.

Cons

My only real gripes are things that don't exist and need to. I would like my members to be able to purchase retail items and check-in using their app. Both of these features exist in the staff app, but not the member app. Also, I would like an option to NOT have a gender field at registration. I find the gender binary pointless and it's offensive to our trans and nonconforming clients.

Paul D.

Happy to be back!

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

The reintroduction to Zen planner has been great. I'm learning new things and I'm excited about the dashboard that will show me exactly what's going on every day at first glance. It's exciting that I can customize it as well!

I can't say enough good things about my onboarding coach. She was and continues to be amazing support with Zen Planner. I appreciate all of her patience and genuine interest in helping me utilize the software to its​ maximum potential for my business.

I'm looking forward to growing with Zen Planner

Pros

I left for about four years because I felt like the software was missing some integral parts for my business.

Now I was needing something different and looked at Zen Planner again. The​ changes they have made over the past four years has been amazing.

This is not a company that sits idle and is content with the status quo

Cons

The system is a little complex but I believe it's more to do with the novelty of it and all of its features.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks Paul! We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you are enjoying the new features and updates!

Alejandro L.

Awesome and they continue to work to add new and wanted fuctionality

Reviewed on 2017/05/11

One stop shop for managing my business. Automation. And the ability to do a lot with little or no staff.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to manage. It has a great modern look and they don't try to bundle everything in one app. They have different apps for sing in, staff use, and member. I love the reports, and the face check in. Easy to find athletes by their face. Great for when you have new staff. It truly is a great bundle for workout tracking, integration with current website, and integration with marketing emails. All things other companies charge extra for. I would and have recommended this software to other gym and martial art owners.

Cons

The apps are great for managing but missing some fuctionality such as being able to schedule privates on the app. They where missing staff clicks in, retail sales but they have recently added those. Hard to find much I dislike and what I do they don't seem to be standing still, adding new function all the time.

Colin D.

Solid software, great support.

Reviewed on 2019/04/07

Zen Planner takes care of our membership tracking, payments, scheduling. It can be a powerful tool if you know how to use it.

Pros

We've used Zen Planner in our gym for six years, and it's been pretty uneventful overall - which is what you want with such software. It does its job with a minimum of drama. Any issues we've had have been dealt with in a timely fashion. We do not use the workout programming feature (we went with SugarWOD for that), so I can't comment on that particular feature.

Cons

Zen Planner is good about making constant improvements, but there have been some things over the years that are a bit clunky and not necessarily intuitive to use. It's likely a function of building incremental improvements into existing software rather than starting with a clean slate.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for the feedback, Colin!

Dennis F.

The best customer service crew on the planet!

Reviewed on 2019/04/04

Every (and I mean EVERY) time I contact customer support, I am astounded at not only the response speed, but in the quality and thoroughness of the help I get. Their support techs are incredibly helpful and friendly. I am always blown away at the level of service and support I get from them.

Pros

I like that it is very easy to set up and use. From the daily dashboard to the automated messages and prospect funnel, the system is set up to save time (and $$). The website integration is also very easy and I have yet to discover the limits of their robust reporting system.

Cons

That there is so much available that I probably only use a small percentage of its functionality.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you Dennis! We're happy to hear you're loving our customer advocate team. We think they're pretty great, too :)

Sarah S.

Great System

Reviewed on 2018/08/15

ZenPlanner has been very reliable and does what we want it to except for the odd issue. Sometimes I get so frustrated I want to switch providers but then realize that the other providers still aren't as good as ZP so I just have to stick it out. If they increased their speed at which they fixed bugs and/or simple features then I would be a very happy customer.

Pros

It's a great CRM for a small fitness facility. From reviews from competitors, it appears to be the best however I haven't personally tried the others. The Chat feature is great to be able to quickly message with employees when I have questions or concerns.

Cons

They are very slow to fix bugs and/or simple features. It's almost like they don't even have tech employees to fix these things.

Reenie M.

Outstanding customer service as always.

Reviewed on 2017/06/05

It helps me automate and streamline my systems and processes. I only wish it had the capacity for me to plop in all my expenses. Then, It would be golden! I would be able to replace my accounting software and have everything all in one place.

Pros

It's ease of use. It is laid out in a simplistic format that is easy to navigate.
The customer service team is outstanding. They always go above and beyond to ensure my satisfaction with the platform.

Cons

The lack of text feature but that has now been rectified for Cdn customers.
The only other less than desirable thing about the platform is the tiered billing. Personally, I truly don't see a need to have different billing if I have 50 students or 75. It should be one flat rate straight across.

Good for very simple gym businesses, bad for everything else.

Reviewed on 2017/10/16

Pros

ZP lets us schedule and bill clients in one place. It spits out reasonably useful accounting summaries and can handle some email automations.

Cons

This software is the worst part of my job. Do not be fooled by their slick sales staff: this cannot perform most of the functions advertised. It can, but only in a perfect world where you gym runs exactly as ZP imagines it. In this imaginary perfect world, you'd need a team of administrators working full-time to keep your database up-to-date and functioning.

Our gym runs about 250 sessions per week. That's either classes or PT. They're all different. ZP's workout builder does not work for this. We were spending ~3 hours per day inputting workouts. It could not scale. So now we do not track workouts in the software.

We see 100 leads per week and run free trials to get them into the gym. ZP's various 'prospect' systems cannot handle this. They are not manipulatable enough to handle the different types of trials we'd like to offer. Doing so, again, would take a team of administrators. We now use a separate sales software for everyone on trial.

ZP goes down most days for 1-2 hours. 5-6 days per week. Just no software to run the gym. No attendance tracked, no bills processed, no member questions answered.

ZP's calendar never works on the first try. Literally. When I click on a staff member's calender I wait 15sec for the software to reload the full gym calendar with no changes. Then I click the staff member a second time, wait another 15sec, and only then am I rewarded with his/her calendar. With 28 staff this is not working.

Response from Zen Planner

I¿m sorry to hear your experience with Zen Planner has been less than ideal. We'd like to offer help to ensure your database is set up efficiently and give you a direct point of contact for the issues you have brought to our attention. Please reach out to our retention expert, Nick Deprez at [email protected], to get set up as your review is anonymous and we are unable to reach you directly. In response to your note about down time: we diligently track the down time of our software and are currently at 99.87% availability. This would not be possible if we were down at the rate you described. I¿ve passed your feedback about our feature compatibility and sales to our Sales Team to review and ensure we maintain transparency and honesty in our sales process.

1.0/10
Kris H.

Very poor software with appalling customer service

Reviewed on 2017/04/14

We are a martial arts school who used the software for 3 years, on the basis that while the software didn't do everything we were looking for they were putting in product feature requests to make improvements, and to fix the many bugs in the software. After 3 years they finally came back with: "I do not have a timeline for release on features that you have suggested. Any changes or additions we make to Zen Planner need to be commonly requested, and fit into the Product Team's vision for our software. As a result, some features you have requested may never be implemented."

However I have seen many other martial arts schools request similar changes. So after initially promising everything to get you signed up, they then back track if you keep following up with them trying to get a straight answer. Continuing to try and hold them to account results in: "Zen Planner is not for everyone, and it's important that you find a system that works for you. This message is providing you with notice that your Zen Planner account will be closed" and I have also heard from several other users that this has happened to them as well.

So they misrepresent their software, then promise to get it working, take your money - and you invest a significant amount of time setting it up, and then more time every week doing manual workarounds waiting for a fix they never intended to make. Then they just cancel your membership without giving you enough time to transition everything, particularly changing over your billing for members.

Some of the issues are: parents signing up their kids for martial arts classes is very difficult and confusing for members. They can't use the same email for their children - who can be too young to even have their own email - and then automated emails don't send as there is no email for the member. When they try it often results in an error and they try signing up multiple times, bloating the database with duplicate registrations and memberships, which are tedious and difficult to combine, that cause errors while completing. I ended up doing more admin to fix this than signing them up manually. Then booking classes for kids is so difficult I ended up doing it manually for parents.

Also a main feature they promote is be belt progress skill tracking - this is designed for entering a single workout for a cross fit box, and so trying to enter results and comments for a grading against all the skills is totally unusable.

Pros

For existing members, once you have gone through the lengthy set up process, it processes payments automatically for you, but making changes is very difficult. It is easier to just use the payment gateway provider directly and use a manual system to track it.

They did have financial reporting - but I found them to be more trouble than they were worth, but I am a Chartered Accountant and might just have standards that are above minimalistic offering available on Zen Planner.

Cons

It is extreemley difficult for parents to book classes for their kids, especially for more than one child, for more than one day - as the calendar defaults to the parent -with no classes as they don't have a membership. They need to change to the first child then click on one class then reserve a place, then go back to the start for the next class & child.

Also for automations to work the child needs an email entered, and you can't use the same email as the parent, or link them to the parent. Apparently this change is too difficult as many members asked, but they won't fix it. When the automations don't work, parents think there is an error and start another registration, which creates many duplicate records in the database. Manually combining them, updating profiles, and manually sending the "automated" emails takes more time than just doing it manually.

The skill tracking system is also very badly designed, it is almost unusable, and takes a huge amount of time to enter if you want to record results against all the skills a martial arts student needs to know in a single session, such as a grading or pre-grading. Members can't even see what skills they need to pass if no results are previously entered, or a summary of their skills.

0.0/10
Marlene A.

Best Customer Service

Reviewed on 2019/05/13

While there have been a few limitations to booking appointments as well as classes, Zen Planner still makes it possible to juggle and offer both seemlessly. Clients can manage their schedules and payments online which allows me to focus on other important matters.

Pros

This software is easy to learn, implement and user friendly. Super easy integration and the customer service is outstanding! They are regularly updating and upgrading features and respond positively to feature requests and feedback. Easily have the best software on the market in my industry and I'm not sure why more people do not choose Zen Planner.

Cons

Some minor limitations such as color typology features on the mobile app have been limited and app functions such as calendar syncing and calendar default settings restricted.

Response from Zen Planner

Glad to hear you're happy with Zen Planner, Marlene! We appreciate the feedback.

Andrew N.

Way less complaints than other owners

Reviewed on 2018/08/28

It’s been positive. It’s better than previous software, I’d like more, but from other conversations I’ve had and things I hear about other apps I am not sure that there is much better.

Pros

It’s makes a lot of sense to use. Some things aren’t obvious necessarily at first, but once you get there it all makes sense.

Cons

It feels pretty limited in reporting. Not because it actually is, but more because the options for them are too specific.

Workout tracking is kind of a joke. It hasn’t been updated since it premiered and it’s not “fun” for members to use at all. We’ve since switched workout tracking to sugar WoD.

Rodrigo R.

Very disappointing

Reviewed on 2018/04/26

Pros

Have been with Zen Planner since 2015, it is very user friendly. Costumer service was not bad up until something started to go wrong.

Cons

Unfortunately they have some flaws that for some reason sometimes they multiple charge my students or don't charge at all. It will happen once in a while and when that happen, their customer service become very slow and dismissive, they will send you to the processor and the processor will send you back to them. For instance, now, I have been asking to talk to a supervisor for days and they simply don't call and when I call to reach someone no one is ever available. It is very unfortunate because as I said the system is very user friendly, but they are not trust worth.

Zen Planner gave me notice of cancellation after I refused to remove this review. Based on the problems I have had with them, I already had in mind and was searching for a more reliable system. Unfortunately I was forced to do it rushed, I have been trusting all my billing transactions and contacts to Zen Planner, and this transfer process does take a long time. one of the supervisors dealt with this situation very unprofessionally, focusing on make me remove my review rather then fix the real issue, treatned a few times and finally just gave me notice. I have never seen this before... I can't stress enough that you can't trust such important information for your business in such hands.

Rae W.

Brilliant, from the first meeting, to 4 years later, just outstanding every day.

Reviewed on 2017/05/18

Too many to mention. We couldn't run out business without it. No other software can compare with Zen planners functionality.

Pros

the customer service. You ask anything and they will ALWAYS get back to you. They ALWAYS sort out your concern.
There is so much you can do with the software, from accounting, to wod planning, to staffing, appointments everything.
The back end functionality is brilliant.
The automations available that free up so much time for other things are outstanding. Its just so versatile and can be customised to exactly what you need it to be.

Taylor V.

Incredible!

Reviewed on 2017/05/23

Pros

Best Support Team!!! they seriously rock and has helped me trouble shoot all issues I've had over the phone or over quick emails. Anything i didn't know how to do they were super helpful and worked so hard to help me implement their software and making things very easy. Allows me to filter my classes, students and programs very easily. Beautiful Website integration (similar to mindbody but easier to use for customer) Keeps track of how much a client owes me and allows me to create a parole for my employees. I own a Holistic wellness center that does everything from Yoga and martial arts to acupuncture and energy work and zen planner allows us to manage everything smoothly while keeping track of all of our clients with ease. If your looking for a scheduling software i highly recommend this software. Has really taken a weight off my shoulders as a business owner and let me focus on more important thing.

Cons

The initial set up of the program is a little difficult, it was hard to navigate through at first but again, awesome support team that explained it very well.
Only other con is that the website integration is a little difficult and not as pretty on mobile.

Ryan T.

Needs a better app

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

Pros

Support team is great, and really helps in the on boarding process. They are very fast in response time and give many options for helping solve situations.

Cons

Scheduling ahead of the current week is a little confusing. The calendar keeps jumping back to the current week whenever a new appointment is added ahead. Also cannot add appointments within the day. A little confusing and not the most efficient.
The app is terrible. No ability to schedule clients (at least as far as I have been able to do) and is pretty overall useless to me.

Response from Zen Planner

Hey Ryan, thanks for your feedback. We're happy to share you can now schedule appointments in Staff App! Check out the tutorial here: https://help.zenplanner.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005456213

7.0/10
Camille D.

Great service

Reviewed on 2017/04/21

I have been using Zen Planner for a couple of years. It has many awesome features. As my business is growing I am finding more features in Zen Planner that help with that process. I feel they always listen to your suggestions and really try to work on giving the customer the features they are asking for. The service is 2nd to none. They always help until your questions or issues are resolved. They are awesome.

Pros

All the tracking and reports you can pull.

Cons

It acts erratically sometimes.

Craig S.

Zen Planner...SMH

Reviewed on 2017/02/27

As someone who isnt great in the deep magical world of computers...Zen planner was supposed to make things easier.
My first appointment... the person was late for the on boarding (teaching me how to use software). They were also late for the second on but notified me this time.
There were small billing issues and the support I recieved to correct situations was beyond useless.
The relationship ended by them canceling my account out with only an email and refusal to get on the phone with me to explain themselves.
This sounds disgruntled ... I know. There are a few people I know who have had the same experience.
The company has a great base but didnt personally deal with me very well. My gym will close now because I have no way to bill my customers that dont come in daily

Pros

The concept is good

Cons

It difficutl to use cause the training on using it is very laxed

3.0/10
Jordan B.

Quick and Efficient

Reviewed on 2019/05/22

Zen Planner is allowing our gym facility to keep track of attendance, memberships, member retention, etc. In addition, it also provides a great way to track member workouts and with the integrating SugarWOD, it will make this process even better.

Pros

The software has so many components to it that it can be intimidating at first, but each component has an explanation of how to use it. This makes for an easy learning experience.

Cons

The mass email component is difficult to navigate.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for the review Jordan! We love to hear that Zen Planner is helping you run your facility smoothly.

Al D.

Easy to use, Easy to learn - Better than MindBody

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

When I opened my studio I initially used MindBody. I was already accustomed to it when I taught at other studios, I only used it to check in students and process payments. When I purchased it for my studio I found it lacking in reporting and processing fees for credit cards payments were higher than others.

Pros

Simple to learn and easy to use. It has everything you need to manage a yoga studio. Multiple reporting options. Easy access for my students.

Cons

The only thing I would like is a lower price.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for the feedback Al! Glad Zen Planner is working well for your studio.

Dave R.

ZenPlanner

Reviewed on 2018/12/14

Zp helped me create and manage clients and billing them monthly. I've been using it since about 2008, so 10 years or so. It has gotten better over time and I've only had trouble with once or twice.

It's a solid system

Pros

When it first came out it was ahead of everyone else. It still has a lot of features but it needs a facelift

Cons

The scheduling system needs to be reworked and overall it needs a facelift. There are many excellent alternatives to ZP out there that can do everything ZP can and then some with a much more user-friendly interface

7.0/10
Charley S.

Spoke to a real person when their servers went down in the middle of the day.

Reviewed on 2019/05/20

Over all it has been very good.

Pros

Software is simple to use and has a couple of good tools for running the business. As a health coach I can check my phone to see much of the information that I need.
The real issue that I am leaving a review about is this...
When I was in the middle of a busy work day, I all of a sudden could not see my schedule or sign in. I called a number and spoke to a real person who gave me the situation and told me worse case scenario of when it might be up. I would have been very aggravated had I not spoken to a real person in such a bad situation. It was very comforting.

Cons

The calendar is a little simplistic as well as some of the features with seeing the clients apts.

Response from Zen Planner

Thanks for sharing your experience, Charley!

Jayne Y.

Great Software, Even Better Customer Support!

Reviewed on 2019/05/30

If I ever have an issue with the software, or a question on how to do something (like create a custom report) the customer support is always outstanding.

Pros

I have been using Zen for 10 years. The program is so easy to use & I am always finding new things to do with it.

Cons

When creating reports for attendance or payment history for a client, I would love to have our business name show at the header.

Response from Zen Planner

Thank you Jayne, we appreciate the kind words!

Elizabeth T.

Customer Service is stellar which goes a long way!

Reviewed on 2017/05/02

Better knowledge of client retention and value versus using the age-old Excel Spreadsheets

Pros

The many ways to move from one area to another. There are SO many ways to customize reports to your liking and integrate with other software. And I love the icons chosen for each area of the program. It's helpful when first learning. We still have much to learn, but that's to be expected as it's an all-in-one. It'll take awhile.

Cons

Membership sign up can have a few more steps than we prefer and can be tricky learning to input so reports are accurate later on down the line. This is where their customer service makes up for that. They are always SUPER friendly and very helpful! I never dread calling and always get off the phone a happy client.