Bench

Write a Review!
You run your business. We’ll do your bookkeeping.

4.3/5
4.4/5
4.6/5
4.6/5

Manabu
Manabu

Solves the Startup Book-keeping Headaches

Reviewed on 2017/10/04

All of my book-keeping headaches are gone!

All of my book-keeping headaches are gone!

Pros

I really like it that Bench people essentially leave me alone and they will do all the bookkeeping stuff for me. It is not my forte, so it is great and done at much lower price point than hiring a firm. The web interface is great and pretty much you upload your expense receipts and they will take care of it.

Cons

Occasionally the bank statement transfers stops, then takes a bit of trial and errors for it to work, only happens perhaps once a year or so. No biggie, but could improve it.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Manabu - Thank you for your kind words! We're thrilled to be able to ease the headache of bookkeeping for you. We've passed the message on to Nadeeshi and the rest of your team, and you've made their day much brighter. - SP

• Industry: Music

Enjoying Bench Accounting for my Small Business

Reviewed on 2021/05/25

Bench helps me stay on top of my bookkeeping and know that my "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed.

Pros

I like how simple it was to connect my bank accounts as well as third party payors (eg. paypal, stripe). The interface is intuitive to navigate and uploading receipts using my custom email is a nifty trick!

Cons

I wish linking to Bench Tax or having some sort of tax center was a bit more seamless.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi, Scott! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're thrilled to hear that you're finding our interface user friendly, and that your team has been able to help you stay on top of your finances!

Marie
  • Used for 1+ year

Bench dropped the ball & gave me a partial refund.

Reviewed on 2020/07/23

I tested Bench out at the end of 2019 and then hired them for my entire 2020 books. In the beginning, they were on top of things. Then, mid-summer they dropped the ball. My account got passed to another team, and they didn't even touch my books for months. It was a mess. I reached out to customer service and they did give me 2 months of a refund, because the customer service rep (who was very kind & courteous) saw what I saw. In December, I requested for my bookkeeper to fix some miscategorized transactions and later asked, "Hey were those fixed?" She said she fixed them, which was a blatant lie!

On top of all of that, it took them about TWO MONTHS to do my final end of year books that I could pass onto my CPA. I was told they were uploaded, but then they weren't there when I looked for them. I had to request, "Please upload them again." They apologized and did so right away, but by the time I saw them, thank goodness for the COVID extension, because I literally didn't have my deliverables from Bench until April 2020. My filings would have been late.

Pros

Bench is easy to use and navigate. In the beginning, they were fantastic at answering questions I had to help understand how my bookkeeping was being handled. That's about the only good thing I have to say.

Cons

I spent more time dealing with Bench all year long than when I was doing my own bookkeeping on a simple spreadsheet. I expected a learning curve in the beginning. They promised it would get easier "as we learn about your business and transactions," but I found month after month that the same transactions got flagged needing my input. Then, when I did thorough checks on my books, I found several transactions not in the right category. The other thing I didn't like was that my bank constantly needed to be reconnected. I truly felt like I spent more time handling Bench than I would've spend just doing my own bookkeeping.

QuickBooks Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Bench

I thought having a real person handle my bookkeeping would be faster than doing it myself.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I chose Bench, because I was hearing good things about them from Ash Ambirge of the Middle Finger Project whom I adore & trust. I liked the idea of a real person on my books, not software I had to manage.
Ashley
  • Industry: Photography

I wish we would have invested in this sooner!

Reviewed on 2020/06/23

I LOVE it so much!! I wish we would have started using this from the start with our business.

Pros

Bench has changed our business for the better! Having all of our books from month to month in one place is GAME changing! My favorite part is the real time look at the health of our business because our books are now done monthly. I can be confident that we'll never be behind! Which helps us make better business decisions!

Cons

When I was first new to Bench and terms like "balance sheet" and "profit and loss" I wished there was a hover by where you click on them at the top that gave a quick description of what each meant.

Response from Bench Accounting

We're thrilled to hear this, Ashley! We've passed your glowing words to your bookkeeping team, who will be equally as thrilled.

Veronica

Satisfied Customer

Reviewed on 2022/05/27

I love it. Bench tracks all expenses and the team communicates regarding expenses in question and suggest "expense categories."

Pros

I love how user friendly the software is. Everything is easy to upload and the team is able to communicate with you and ask for documents or ask questions.

Cons

I have no complaints about any aspect of the software. Very satisfied overall.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Veronica, we're so happy to hear you're loving how user-friendly our software is, and how communicative your team has been! We're excited to keep providing the support you need so you can continue to grow your business!

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Do Not Recommend

Reviewed on 2024/03/28

My service has been terrible. I spent over $5000 and do not have access to my books. Customer service was lacking and my bookkeeper would respond to my inquiry on timeline with responses like... I am on it like white on rice. Professionalism, accuracy and commitment to the contract is very lacking.

Pros

I liked the idea of having support and a knowledgeable team to up to date and accurate financials. Unfortunately that was not my experience with Bench.

Cons

I have worked with Bench for over a year and cannot get access to any of my financials. I check in on a daily basis to understand when and how I might get access to my books, but given answers about their three part review process with no explanation or timeline for when I will get my books. After working daily with Bench to get my financials for 2023 for over 5 weeks, I am told the financials will not be ready until after tax season and if I want them to file a tax extension. I could not recommend this service to anyone.

Tony

Finally a one stop shop

Reviewed on 2021/05/18

So far so good! Love seeing reports every month.

So far so good! Love seeing reports every month.

Pros

I love that I can finally focus on what I do best. Customer service is friendly and answers all questions in a timely manner.

Cons

An online chat would be great for faster response. Since I don’t want to be on this platform very often, when I am, I’d like answers quickly.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi, Tony. It's great to hear that you've received the support you need to focus on other areas of your business! Your bookkeeping team can always be reached via the message feed, should you have any questions about "Huck LLC's" bookkeeping. Thanks for being with Bench!

John
John

Better Suited to Larger Companies

Reviewed on 2023/07/15

Bench is useful and helped me to navigate the early days of my company, but I could've saved a lot of money doing some of the data correlation myself and hiring a tax expert directly.

Pros

I like that Bench can customize the experience and give you almost any list of metrics.

Cons

Bench is more expensive than other options I've tried, but much of that is my fault. Their pricing is based on working with much larger companies.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi John, we're so happy to be supporting you and your business during the growth of your company. We strive to offer competitive pricing to reflect the value of the services we provide, including access to a dedicated team of in-house bookkeepers and our proprietary software that automates many bookkeeping tasks.

Marian
Marian

White Glove Service for White Collar Small Businesses

Reviewed on 2020/11/03

Pros

The customers service is incredible. I know that there is a TEAM supporting me, while I still know the name of my main contact person. The platform is easy to use and aesthetically pleasing.

Cons

I have not found anything I don't like about my experience with Bench. They're awesome!

Response from Bench Accounting

Thanks, Marian!

• Industry: Building Materials

Great solution for business owners looking to run lean

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Great customer service, on boarding was easy - it's a total set it and forget it (and rest assured you don't have to worry about it) kind of service. They make helpful recommendations to keep you as hands off as possible. Overall, highly recommend.

Pros

Customer service is great - our account rep always gets back to us in at most 24 hours and always with helpful answers or information.

Cons

I wish tax filing (sales tax and income) was included so I could use Bench for everything.

Jesse
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Good Quality; Probably too Much for a Smaller Company

Reviewed on 2023/06/12

I like the product, but am unsure of the value for smaller firms with fewer expenses.

Pros

I like the ease of use. There is a lot of info that is consolidated well, and the customer service is quick.

Cons

Overall the service works well, but for a small company with relatively few expenses, the $300/mo pricing is a bit steep. I feel that a tiered rate based on expense quantities would be valuable to smaller companies wishing to offload the accounting work, but can't justify the cost.

Response from Bench Accounting

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to offer competitive pricing to reflect the value of the services we provide, including access to a dedicated team of in-house bookkeepers and our proprietary software that automates many bookkeeping tasks.
Most recently, we launched Real-Time Data from your connected financial accounts. This means you get a snapshot view of all your money in and money-out, out whenever you need it, even before your books are closed, allowing you to focus on what's most important - focusing on your business.

aimee
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Helpful but pricey

Reviewed on 2021/08/04

Generally my experience has been good. The device is expensive compared to other bookkeeping devices. My biggest concern is that in working with the company you get handed off to several different staff. It has been hard to build a relationship with my bookkeeper for this reason. I’ve found that I have to reexplain a number of our specifics over and over again because I am working with new people within the company. It would be better to be assigned to one bookkeeper, especially in our case, which included historical books and present day books. My business isnt open yet but some of the limitations in the software (particularly a lack of an A/P system) cause concern for me in considering continuing use once we are open.

Pros

I like that the online interface is user friendly, albeit a little glitchy.

Cons

Software is glitchy and could use a bit of tweaking in order to ensure that it is more effective.

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Reasons for Switching to Bench

We had a decent amount of historical data that needed to be tracked and entered. This felt like a huge undertaking and we needed the assistance. Doing that was a good experience and the bookkeeper that we worked with was really helpful. I am not sure that we will continue to use the service for future months, especially once our business is open and the books become more complex.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Aimee, thank you for taking the time to share this with us! We're so happy to hear that you had a seamless experience with your historical bookkeeping. Regarding bookkeeper turnover, we completely understand how this can be frustrating in terms of user experience and this transition process is something we're actively working on improving. Building that working relationship with your bookkeeper is, understandably, quite important which is why we often recommend scheduling monthly check-in calls with your team!

Amber

Warning: Do Not Use Bench Tax Services

Reviewed on 2023/07/28

I use it because I've already paid for the tax return to be filed with them for 2022 and don't want to have to pay twice to have it filed. I will never use them again for a tax return and feel their ability to offer this service should be revoked as I have never worked with a more unprofessional tax service.

Pros

After months of back and forth with their accounting team I was finally put with an account manager who knows what they are doing and can communicate effectively

Cons

They are incapable of filing an accurate tax return. It is now August and they are still figuring out how to file my 2022 return. Each time they send anything over there are multiple errors they need to fix. Their response times are abysmal and their team has little to no knowledge about actual tax compliance and filling.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Amber, thank you for taking the time to continue to share your feedback with us.
We're sorry to hear about your experience and are currently looking into it. A member of our Client Success team is in active communication with you regarding this situation, and if you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

Albert
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Exceptional Services for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Bench executives should develop the bookkeeping platform further to include items that allow the end user to have a total experience. I understand that the goal is to lead bookkeeping into full tech. However, I feel that users want some form of one-on-one service where they are able to meet and greet their bookkeeping expert. What I have experienced with Bench thus far are a series of glitches when adding accounts, not being able to delete accounts, and occasionally having to repeat myself when discussing issues with numerous customer support staff members that are not apart of my bookkeeping team. I feel that by establishing a video conferencing feature to the dashboard, it would be a brilliant opportunity for us, end users, to get to know their experts and to limit any inconsistencies while providing a more personal experience.

Pros

Bench has done a great job of placing most items one would require into a dashboard that makes the bookkeeping experience simple. Customer service at Bench is by far the best in the market! Staff at the company truly believe in the product and provide the end user with an exceptional experience each and every call.

Cons

Platform errors and the lack of additional features.

Joshua
  • Industry: Hospitality

Bench is Amazing

Reviewed on 2021/03/14

Bench is amazing. As a small business owner I was spending too much time categorizing expenses and correctly documenting items for the P&L or balance statement. Bench offers such an amazing service and any time I had a question or issue my Bench specialist was right there. I would highly recommend Bench to anyone who needs bookkeeping services (and their tax team is amazing as well). Couple all of that with their service team's (big shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]) genuine care for you and your company and you have kind of a no brainer.

Pros

The platform is intuitive and easy to use. You speak directly with the individual managing your account, which is nice for continuity. Any discrepancies are easily adjusted or annotated. It exports to multiple file types for integration with other platforms. It links with your accounts so you don't have to manually input everything. AND THEIR TEAM ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT YOU, which is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

Sometimes there are functionality issues with linked accounts, but usually it is because of the security protocols of the bank or account.

Response from Bench Accounting

Wow! Thank you so much, Joshua. We are absolutely thrilled to hear about your experience. We're excited to keep providing the support you need so you can continue to grow your business!

Luisa
  • Industry: Hospitality

Accounting for Startups

Reviewed on 2021/11/09

Pros

We transitioned from a traditional outsourced bookkeeper to Bench and love the ability to go in and view our reports quick and easy. The team is also much quicker to finish month end reports and responds quickly.

Cons

The onboarding process was a bit difficult. We had to adjust our expense categories to match. We would like to use the accrual accounting adjustment but haven't been able to get help with this yet.

Pilot

Reasons for Choosing Bench

The bookkeeper we used no longer met our needs as a growing startup.

Price and functionality

Response from Bench Accounting

Wow! We're absolutely thrilled to hear that we have been able to give you peace of mind, knowing that your bookkeeping is in great hands! It's also amazing to hear that your team has been professional, friendly and knowledgable. Thank you for sharing and for being with us, Luisa!

Patricia
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Excellent Solution for Tracking Business Expenses

Reviewed on 2019/05/05

Bench has set my mind at ease that all of my business costs and expenditures are being accounted for successfully and tracked.

Pros

Very easy to use . This product has been very useful for me to track all business expenses and have all of the required audits of my accounts while also producing annual earnings reports. Very professional.

Cons

It would be nice if the system was able to read the memos for checks written to determine the purpose for the expenditure rather than the business owner having to review each check and identify its purpose for the business.

Michelle
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Stay away from Bench.co !!

Reviewed on 2024/04/02

Was great for years. 2022 to 2024 has been a sad decline for them and its left is starting from scratch since their system won't integrate into any other programs

Pros

Bookkeepers were friendly but they didn't have the support to follow through on topics discussed in calls

Cons

Quality has plummeted in the last two years. Customer service team is the absolute worst i have ever encountered. We have asked to speak to [sensitive content hidden]'s supervisor, but he won't. She is rude, condescending and knows nothing about bookkeeping

James
  • Used for 1+ year

Shockingly Incompetent

Reviewed on 2021/02/24

I had Bench do a full year of bookkeeping for my company and consulted them on aspects of the PPP loan program.

I found them shockingly incompetent. Many mistakes. Much flat-out wrong technical information about the PPP program. It was the most recent encounter with them over the PPP program that motivates me to write this review, to warn the public.

They should not represent themselves as PPP experts.

Pros

The pros are beside the point because the cons are so overwhelming.

Cons

They should not represent themselves as PPP experts.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi James, thanks for taking a moment to share your feedback. We always want to make sure we're continuously addressing client questions and their experience. We had passed your concerns to our Client Success Team and understand a senior leader has been in touch with you to discuss this further. We really appreciate your transparency as we work through this with you.

Missy
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Takes the hassle work out of financial reporting

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

Overall Bench has helped me to track and monitor my business financials. Tax seasons has been a breeze the last two years with Bench - something a lot of freelancers struggle with.

Pros

- no need to use quickbooks
- friendly and responsive staff when issues arise
- individual bookkeeper assigned to your account
- user interface is friendly and accessible
- reporting features are solid
- costs less than hiring your own bookkeeper
- affordable rates which are advantageous for small businesses

Cons

- auto syncing does not connect w Capital One bak accounts which results oftentimes a 2-3 week lag in getting monthly reports back
- only retrospective reporting; no prospective budgeting features (need to use separate software)
- does not provide tax accounting services; only bookkeeping
- cannot easily customize revenue subledgers without discussing w accountant
- no categories of fixed/variable expenses
- cannot upload documents via mobile devices

Christina

Seamless Bookkeeping

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

My experience has been overall positive! My bookkeeper is there when I need him and always professional and friendly!

Pros

Simply put, Bench took a headache away and made managing my bookkeeping easy and seamless. It also encourages me to be more aware of receivables and expenses + I really appreciate that I can check my books at any time, day or night. The overall look of the site is clean and approachable, and the interface is simple.

Cons

A few times my bank accounts have come "unlinked" somehow and I've had to go back in and link them.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Christina! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! We've passed this along to your bookkeeping team, and I know they will be thrilled to hear this!

Patrick

Awesome tool, great customer service, and affordable!

Reviewed on 2018/04/06

Pros

What I love the most is the customer service. Despite this being a "bookkeeping software/tool", you get a dedicated accountant. Executives are so responsive. Every time I have a question, I get a response that same day. The platform is also easy to use, and the interface makes it really easy to upload documents, download reports, etc. Really recommend!

Cons

One small issue is the capabilities. If you have highly complex bookkeeping needs (a unique situation or business model), this may not work for you. This doesn't matter for 99% of businesses.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Patrick - This is so lovely to hear! We're so glad we've been able to help take bookkeeping off of your plate. I've passed this on to Michael and your team, and you've made their day. - SP

Jay
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Life Saver

Reviewed on 2020/06/16

nothing short of great.

nothing short of great.

Pros

The Bench team was there every step to explain what the software did, how to use it and what they need from me. I am super busy so I needed hand holding and that's exactly what the bench team did.

Cons

I had to do some of the integrations manually, such as sending over bank statements, but I would to have had to do this with a regular bookeeper anyway.

QuickBooks Online

Bench is more comprehensive

more comprehensive

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Jay! Thanks for the glowing review. Thanks for being with us!

RUN FAR FAR AWAY!

Reviewed on 2018/04/27

Pros

Nothing food to say honestly. Never got it off the ground. When I asked for a refund it was a hassle

Cons

If you look around and have your ducks in a row you will find these people are price gouging businesses and their pricing tactics are horribly unfair to the prospective customer. My best advice is RUN FAR FAR AWAY!

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi George,
I'm really sorry that your initial Onboarding experience didn't align with your expectations, and that you weren't able to experience our ongoing monthly service. We strive for clear and upfront pricing, which is why we have fixed pricing packages based on monthly expenses and add-ons. We are proud of the value we provide our clients as America's largest bookkeeping service. We do not price match with other businesses nor do we heavily discount our catch-up service. While we can't give you back your time, you have been fully refunded. We also have taken your feedback to our team to help ensure that we provide a consistent Onboarding experience and prevent situations like yours in the future. If there's more we can do to assist you, Sarah from our Client Care team is happy to speak with you further.

Brenda
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Bench is making my life easier!

Reviewed on 2020/08/25

Pros

This is the easiest bookkeeping software I've ever come across. I've been a freelance art director for many years, and have used Quickbooks, Less Accounting, and Freshbooks. With each of those, I was reminded that I'm not a bookkeeper and usually ended up messing up my books somehow.

In contrast, the Bench interface is really straight forward and simple to understand, it is easy to use, and the team is really responsive. The absolute best part is having a team of bookkeepers who know what they're doing, who take care of it all for me! They reach out if there are questions, and I can check in anytime I like. I now have confidence that my books are correct, and I have more time to focus on my business.

Cons

So far, I've found no cons to using Bench. I only wish I would have done it sooner!

Response from Bench Accounting

Better late than never, Brenda! We're so thrilled to hear that we are able to support you and your business. Thanks for sharing!