Bench

You run your business. We’ll do your bookkeeping.

Manabu
Manabu

Solves the Startup Book-keeping Headaches

Reviewed on 2017/10/04

All of my book-keeping headaches are gone!

All of my book-keeping headaches are gone!

Pros

I really like it that Bench people essentially leave me alone and they will do all the bookkeeping stuff for me. It is not my forte, so it is great and done at much lower price point than hiring a firm. The web interface is great and pretty much you upload your expense receipts and they will take care of it.

Cons

Occasionally the bank statement transfers stops, then takes a bit of trial and errors for it to work, only happens perhaps once a year or so. No biggie, but could improve it.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Manabu - Thank you for your kind words! We're thrilled to be able to ease the headache of bookkeeping for you. We've passed the message on to Nadeeshi and the rest of your team, and you've made their day much brighter. - SP

Steve
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Friendly, helpful staff. Software is nicely designed and easy to use. It's too expensive.

Reviewed on 2022/04/28

Overall, I've been very impressed with Bench. The people, organization, resources, and software are top-notch. The price, however, is too much for someone who is self-employed or a small business owner with limited transactions. I understand that you generally get what you pay for, but I don't feel that you get 10x the value over self-managed bookkeeping using Quickbooks, Freshbooks, or Wave bookkeeping software. Excellent product -- it's just not for everyone.

Pros

Everyone I worked with to understand and use the bookkeeping software was friendly, professional, and helpful. The dashboard analytics was very easy to understand and is very appealing. I also like that I can export all data into a single workbook (summaries and itemized transactions).

Cons

I don't like that the product is so expensive. Depending on how large your business is and how many transactions you're managing, this product may be too expensive. For example, I've used Quickbooks Self-Employed for years and it's under $20/mo. In comparison, Bench (without any promotions) is hundreds of dollars per month. Granted, they are provided professional bookkeeping services as well as the software, but for a business with 50 transactions per month, it is a little overkill. It's really the only thing I don't love about Bench.

FreshBooks and Wave Accounting

Reasons for Choosing Bench

I wanted to test out Bench to see if the added cost would equate to advice on how I could save more than I'm spending. To date, everyone has been helpful but I have received no recommendations.

QuickBooks Self-Employed

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I chose Bench over FreshBooks and Wave Accounting because of the bookkeeper assistance, design of the product, and ease of use.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Steve, thank you for sharing your experience with us. It's great to hear that your team has been friendly, professional, and helpful. And that you are finding our User Interface to be appealing and easy to use.
We're concerned to hear that you feel as though you are not experiencing the price to the relative value of our product. A member of our Client Success Team will be reaching out to you shortly.

Amber

Warning: Do Not Use Bench Tax Services

Reviewed on 2023/07/28

I use it because I've already paid for the tax return to be filed with them for 2022 and don't want to have to pay twice to have it filed. I will never use them again for a tax return and feel their ability to offer this service should be revoked as I have never worked with a more unprofessional tax service.

Pros

After months of back and forth with their accounting team I was finally put with an account manager who knows what they are doing and can communicate effectively

Cons

They are incapable of filing an accurate tax return. It is now August and they are still figuring out how to file my 2022 return. Each time they send anything over there are multiple errors they need to fix. Their response times are abysmal and their team has little to no knowledge about actual tax compliance and filling.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Amber, thank you for taking the time to continue to share your feedback with us.
We're sorry to hear about your experience and are currently looking into it. A member of our Client Success team is in active communication with you regarding this situation, and if you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

Tony
  • Industry: Photography

Finally a one stop shop

Reviewed on 2021/05/18

So far so good! Love seeing reports every month.

So far so good! Love seeing reports every month.

Pros

I love that I can finally focus on what I do best. Customer service is friendly and answers all questions in a timely manner.

Cons

An online chat would be great for faster response. Since I don’t want to be on this platform very often, when I am, I’d like answers quickly.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi, Tony. It's great to hear that you've received the support you need to focus on other areas of your business! Your bookkeeping team can always be reached via the message feed, should you have any questions about "Huck LLC's" bookkeeping. Thanks for being with Bench!

Angela

Great option to take bookkeeping off my plate

Reviewed on 2022/01/19

I've gained more time and mental space to focus on other things since handing my books over to bench.

Pros

Using bench takes bookkeeping tasks off my plate, giving me more time to focus on more important areas to grow my business.

Cons

I am not able to get quite as granular with monthly reports as I was doing my own books with Quickbooks, but the bookkeepers are very helpful with providing info when requested.

Response from Bench Accounting

It's great to hear we've been able to make your life a little easier, Angela! Thank you so much for sharing and for being with us.

John
John

Better Suited to Larger Companies

Reviewed on 2023/07/15

Bench is useful and helped me to navigate the early days of my company, but I could've saved a lot of money doing some of the data correlation myself and hiring a tax expert directly.

Pros

I like that Bench can customize the experience and give you almost any list of metrics.

Cons

Bench is more expensive than other options I've tried, but much of that is my fault. Their pricing is based on working with much larger companies.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi John, we're so happy to be supporting you and your business during the growth of your company. We strive to offer competitive pricing to reflect the value of the services we provide, including access to a dedicated team of in-house bookkeepers and our proprietary software that automates many bookkeeping tasks.

Erik

Completely alleviated stress while reducing my bookkeeping costs

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

When I first heard about Bench, I was nervous about switching from a standard, old school accounting firm I'd worked with for many years. Within a week, my fears were dissipating. Three years later, my fears are completely gone. Bench completely meets my needs as a small business owner - while saving me time and money.

Pros

Bench is SIMPLE. The software provides me an accurate and easy to understand overview of my monthly and annual financials with easy-to- process visuals and graphs. The software integrates automatically with my bank and credit card, alleviating the back and forth calls and emails I used to labor through with my former "brick and mortar" accountants. When I have a question, the Bench team is always available and quick to respond.

Cons

Nada! No complaints here! I have not experienced a single problem with the Bench software

Jose
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Family

Reviewed on 2023/04/21

Like family

Like family

Pros

The all ways there when I need them.Ever time I asked a question one day later I had a answer

Cons

When I was doing my taxes with bench they were on a separate platform

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Jose,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are so glad to hear that your team is always there when you need it! Additionally, we want to let you know that moving forward, Bench Tax will be brought in-house, which means your taxes will be done on the same platform!

Marian
Marian

White Glove Service for White Collar Small Businesses

Reviewed on 2020/11/03

Pros

The customers service is incredible. I know that there is a TEAM supporting me, while I still know the name of my main contact person. The platform is easy to use and aesthetically pleasing.

Cons

I have not found anything I don't like about my experience with Bench. They're awesome!

Response from Bench Accounting

Thanks, Marian!

Scott
Scott
  • Industry: Building Materials

Great solution for business owners looking to run lean

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Great customer service, on boarding was easy - it's a total set it and forget it (and rest assured you don't have to worry about it) kind of service. They make helpful recommendations to keep you as hands off as possible. Overall, highly recommend.

Pros

Customer service is great - our account rep always gets back to us in at most 24 hours and always with helpful answers or information.

Cons

I wish tax filing (sales tax and income) was included so I could use Bench for everything.

aimee
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Helpful but pricey

Reviewed on 2021/08/04

Generally my experience has been good. The device is expensive compared to other bookkeeping devices. My biggest concern is that in working with the company you get handed off to several different staff. It has been hard to build a relationship with my bookkeeper for this reason. I’ve found that I have to reexplain a number of our specifics over and over again because I am working with new people within the company. It would be better to be assigned to one bookkeeper, especially in our case, which included historical books and present day books. My business isnt open yet but some of the limitations in the software (particularly a lack of an A/P system) cause concern for me in considering continuing use once we are open.

Pros

I like that the online interface is user friendly, albeit a little glitchy.

Cons

Software is glitchy and could use a bit of tweaking in order to ensure that it is more effective.

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Reasons for Switching to Bench

We had a decent amount of historical data that needed to be tracked and entered. This felt like a huge undertaking and we needed the assistance. Doing that was a good experience and the bookkeeper that we worked with was really helpful. I am not sure that we will continue to use the service for future months, especially once our business is open and the books become more complex.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Aimee, thank you for taking the time to share this with us! We're so happy to hear that you had a seamless experience with your historical bookkeeping. Regarding bookkeeper turnover, we completely understand how this can be frustrating in terms of user experience and this transition process is something we're actively working on improving. Building that working relationship with your bookkeeper is, understandably, quite important which is why we often recommend scheduling monthly check-in calls with your team!

Heather

Second time using bench

Reviewed on 2020/08/12

First time around was good. This time around I’m not too pleased with the person assigned to my account

Pros

It’s easy to set up and use, semi affordable

Cons

I would like to see mileage tracking and the ability to move items to a category myself

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Heather, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We regret to hear that you are having concerns with your experience. We would like to connect with you to discuss this matter further. A member of our Client Success team will be connecting with you shortly. All the best!

Arsen
  • Industry: Accounting

After happily using Bench for almost 2 years, I DONT recommend it at all

Reviewed on 2022/03/21

I saw many articles about bad experiences with Bench before I decided to work with them. I also saw dozens of good reviews about them. I didn't mind bad ones and thought it won't happen to me. But it happened.

Let's talk about the service and value I got; It's just bookkeeping software with a guy sitting in front of it. They consistently put my expenses in the wrong category. I had to check all the transactions manually every time. I did this with Xero for less than $40/mo. All transactions from my bank account are automatically imported to Xero and I just need to check once a month. No value here.

I didn't mind paying +$200/mo more for the same result since we had no problem with them. I also felt more secure since there is someone on the line. They offered me to file my taxes for an additional fee. I agreed. They filed franchise and corporate taxes for 2020. Everything was smooth and simple. I decided to extend my subscription for another year.

Last month, in the middle of tax season, I received an email saying that they will not file my taxes since I am a US non-resident. I respectfully understand that they made some decisions regarding their services. I am totally ok with it, but I should be informed about this in advance.
But informing me a few weeks before the deadline, in the middle of tax season, when it's impossible to find an available CPA is a selfish attitude that shows they don't care about their clients.

Pros

Standard features that all bookkeeping apps have. Syncs my bank transactions to the app. Saves time.

Cons

Service. I paid more only to have a human backed bookkeeping service to file my taxes. But it didn't happen.

Response from Bench Accounting

Thank you Arsen for sharing your experience with us. We sincerely regret to hear that this has been your experience with us, as we aim to provide accurate and open communications with our clients. A member of our Client Success Team has reached out to discuss your concerns, and we have passed this review to our Bench Tax team for further review.

Bench Service has drastically deteriorated

Reviewed on 2023/09/27

Their service level has gone down substantially. We have used them for years, but this year its been absolutely horrible.

Pros

cost, ease of use, connection to other platforms

Cons

only cash basis accounting. They do not do accrual. Their service for anything like updating balance sheets with loans, etc is awful. Getting in touch with them via email or phone is next to impossible. It didnt used to be that way.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hello! Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. We regret to hear that this has been your experience with us, and would like to make things right. Please email us at [email protected] so we can assist you!

Joshua
  • Industry: Hospitality

Bench is Amazing

Reviewed on 2021/03/14

Bench is amazing. As a small business owner I was spending too much time categorizing expenses and correctly documenting items for the P&L or balance statement. Bench offers such an amazing service and any time I had a question or issue my Bench specialist was right there. I would highly recommend Bench to anyone who needs bookkeeping services (and their tax team is amazing as well). Couple all of that with their service team's (big shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]) genuine care for you and your company and you have kind of a no brainer.

Pros

The platform is intuitive and easy to use. You speak directly with the individual managing your account, which is nice for continuity. Any discrepancies are easily adjusted or annotated. It exports to multiple file types for integration with other platforms. It links with your accounts so you don't have to manually input everything. AND THEIR TEAM ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT YOU, which is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

Sometimes there are functionality issues with linked accounts, but usually it is because of the security protocols of the bank or account.

Response from Bench Accounting

Wow! Thank you so much, Joshua. We are absolutely thrilled to hear about your experience. We're excited to keep providing the support you need so you can continue to grow your business!

Luisa
  • Industry: Hospitality

Accounting for Startups

Reviewed on 2021/11/09

Pros

We transitioned from a traditional outsourced bookkeeper to Bench and love the ability to go in and view our reports quick and easy. The team is also much quicker to finish month end reports and responds quickly.

Cons

The onboarding process was a bit difficult. We had to adjust our expense categories to match. We would like to use the accrual accounting adjustment but haven't been able to get help with this yet.

Pilot

Reasons for Choosing Bench

The bookkeeper we used no longer met our needs as a growing startup.

Price and functionality

Response from Bench Accounting

Wow! We're absolutely thrilled to hear that we have been able to give you peace of mind, knowing that your bookkeeping is in great hands! It's also amazing to hear that your team has been professional, friendly and knowledgable. Thank you for sharing and for being with us, Luisa!

Patricia
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Excellent Solution for Tracking Business Expenses

Reviewed on 2019/05/05

Bench has set my mind at ease that all of my business costs and expenditures are being accounted for successfully and tracked.

Pros

Very easy to use . This product has been very useful for me to track all business expenses and have all of the required audits of my accounts while also producing annual earnings reports. Very professional.

Cons

It would be nice if the system was able to read the memos for checks written to determine the purpose for the expenditure rather than the business owner having to review each check and identify its purpose for the business.

Derick
  • Industry: Furniture

A lifesaver

Reviewed on 2020/12/14

Overall I am more than pleased. I have no doubt that my books are being done correctly, which frees me up to deal with other things.

Pros

I love the ease of use. The portal is easy to get around in and I always have someone to answer my questions.

Cons

I would like to have a little more interaction as to tax planning. I understand that it doesnt necessarily fall under bookkeeping. But I would like to be able to have some sort of review.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Derick, we're thrilled to hear you can rely on our bookkeeping team to help answer questions that come up! We're also happy to hear that the online platform is easy to use so you can get the information you need quickly and spend those extra minutes on growing your business. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience!

Christina
  • Industry: Photography

Seamless Bookkeeping

Reviewed on 2019/08/20

My experience has been overall positive! My bookkeeper is there when I need him and always professional and friendly!

Pros

Simply put, Bench took a headache away and made managing my bookkeeping easy and seamless. It also encourages me to be more aware of receivables and expenses + I really appreciate that I can check my books at any time, day or night. The overall look of the site is clean and approachable, and the interface is simple.

Cons

A few times my bank accounts have come "unlinked" somehow and I've had to go back in and link them.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Christina! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! We've passed this along to your bookkeeping team, and I know they will be thrilled to hear this!

Patrick

Awesome tool, great customer service, and affordable!

Reviewed on 2018/04/06

Pros

What I love the most is the customer service. Despite this being a "bookkeeping software/tool", you get a dedicated accountant. Executives are so responsive. Every time I have a question, I get a response that same day. The platform is also easy to use, and the interface makes it really easy to upload documents, download reports, etc. Really recommend!

Cons

One small issue is the capabilities. If you have highly complex bookkeeping needs (a unique situation or business model), this may not work for you. This doesn't matter for 99% of businesses.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Patrick - This is so lovely to hear! We're so glad we've been able to help take bookkeeping off of your plate. I've passed this on to Michael and your team, and you've made their day. - SP

Jay
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Life Saver

Reviewed on 2020/06/16

nothing short of great.

nothing short of great.

Pros

The Bench team was there every step to explain what the software did, how to use it and what they need from me. I am super busy so I needed hand holding and that's exactly what the bench team did.

Cons

I had to do some of the integrations manually, such as sending over bank statements, but I would to have had to do this with a regular bookeeper anyway.

Quickbooks Online

Bench is more comprehensive

more comprehensive

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Jay! Thanks for the glowing review. Thanks for being with us!

• Industry: Automotive

Good software

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Pleasant experience. Fix times need to be shorter.

Pleasant experience. Fix times need to be shorter.

Pros

The reporting tools are very clear.
Very easy to upload new documents

Cons

Time to prepare full report of prior month takes a few weeks. Certain expenses are repetitively miscategorized.

Ali

Love the ease of use!

Reviewed on 2021/01/01

Pros

After months of frustration with our old software, we switched to Bench and have been so happy. It is easy to use, painless, and so convenient.

Cons

So far I am completely happy, no cons yet!

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Ali, we're thrilled to hear we could make the process seamless and that it's easy to use. We love working with you and are excited to see what comes next for you and your business!

No more all-nighters at tax time! Easy to use, great support team, no more headaches.

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

Pros

The interface is clean and easy. Submitting expenses is easy and in most cases automated. My team, led by customer rep, is very responsive.

Cons

The only thing and I'm splitting hairs is that for more detailed ecommerce analytics, I need to either go to my ecommerce platform and/or pull other data for company performance. It would be helpful to be in one place. But that's a tall order for the great Bench price.

Response from Bench Accounting

Thank you for the review! We're excited to hear your books are no longer keeping you up at night. I've passed along your feedback regarding ecommerce analytics to our development team as well. - SP

Amy
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Clear accounting

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Excellent service, grateful

Excellent service, grateful

Pros

The accounting team took our records for the past three years and was able to give us clear understanding of the numbers to move forward with confidence.

Cons

Overall experience has been excellent, even when I am overwhelmed with the numbers, the professionalism of the staff is calming and clear.

Response from Bench Accounting

Thanks, Amy!