xTuple

3,9
John G.
Industry: Real Estate
Company size: Self Employed

Excellent capabilities, complex to learn, more toward manufacturing and inventory but adaptable

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

I originally started using Postbooks because I was looking for an accounting system that ran on Fedora Linux that was based on PostgreSQL database since I am a database DBA for Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MySQL (MariaDB).

I use Postbooks to run my real estate business even though it is not an exact fit because of familiarity. Once learned, it becomes second nature. I do not use most of the capabilities that xTuple/Postbooks provides. But that is one of the fortes of the software; use what you need and leave the rest alone.

Pros

Free version - I use the Postbooks version since cost is a big factor for me and I don't need most of the features.
Adaptable - I used it in a previous business where I had inventory and did some creation of videos on DVDs. It tracked inventory from items used to create the finished DVDs and package, publish, and ship them. I now use it in my real estate business just for accounting.
Has many capabilities many of which I do not personally use, but they are there if you need them.

Cons

Complex - because it has so many capabilities, it is complex and can be hard to learn. Documentation can be a bit sparse.
Constrained - Forces a work flow which is great for larger business but can make a task tedious for a sole proprietor.
CRM - is designed for sales of products which is what this software is designed around. I am now a REALTOR® and the CRM does not fit the model a REALTOR® uses.
Too platform specific - It used to run on Fedora and other Linus flavors. Now it is limited to Ubuntu and tends to lag, as Ubuntu does, behind the security updates. It runs on Windows. I now run my database on Linux and have to use a Windows client since there is not a client that runs on Fedora. I suggested to the developers that xTuple/Postbooks should be developed on Linux as a Flatpak project but never heard anything back.

Response from xTuple

John - Thanks for reviewing our free PostBooks¿ product. This system was definitely built for manufacturing (and inventory-centric) companies, although plenty of professionals such as yourself have adapted the Accounting and CRM & Sales functionality to suit their needs.

Generally good, but requires a skilled team to use

Reviewed on 2018/06/29

When fully set up, it does a good job of running our multi-site,multi-currency manufacturing operation.

Pros

- Decent import system to load up your data
- Flexible system that allows a wide range of manufacturing and options
- Easy access to SQL tables which allow you to write your own tools if xTuple is missing something you need
- Under active development, and with a good user forum

Cons

- Despite the licensing being the single most expensive SW cost for our company, support is virtually non existent. It is an additional cost and the options are expensive, confusing and often rely on 'partners' who don't always know much about the system. Documentation does exist but is often hard to find on the xTuple website. A skilled technical team will be needed to implement and set up the complex options and work flows.

- xTuple is putting lots of effort on eCommerce additions, but less on the fundamentals of the package. Silly issues make for large problems:
-- User permissions can only be added one at a time (no multi select)
-- Payments are still based on the idea of paper cheques with no shortcuts for cash/card payments. No simple export options for upload for wire processing)
-- The multi currency system is basic and has issues (silly rounding errors, Bank reconciliation and GL accounts don't match and can't be corrected, 'extra' currency transactions generated by some operations break AR balance)

Response from xTuple

Thank you for taking the time to review. What version of xTuple are you using? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? Sounds like you might be missing some valuable help and ROI for your company. Feel free to contact us (we're here to help!): https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

Industry: Cosmetics

Xtuple Review

Reviewed on 2018/09/28

Pros

MRP is easy to use and inventory and purchasing functions help me get my job done efficiently.

Cons

Some times i need to export data to Excel to make it easier to work with.

Response from xTuple

Thank you for reviewing. What version of xTuple are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd always looking for stories on how companies are using the system, especially about MRP, to help other similar businesses. Feel free to contact us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

Janine D.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Overall the xTuple software has been wonderful. Easy to use and presents very professionally.

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

Functionality for our very unique type of business, and website integration are the top two benefits.

Pros

You can begin with a free version and if that version fulfills all of your needs you can continue with that, however for added functionality there are licencing fees for that functionality. It is easy to use (once the beginning numbers are in) and it makes a small company look larger due to the look and design of their forms (you can design your own as well). The functionality is incredible. The type of business we are in requires things that most software does not provide for which has made running our business quite a bit easier. We are a modification center and xTuple allows us to use different parts to make the same end product by using substitutions, this has been a tremendous help to us. It was nice to be able to start with the free version and see just what this amazing piece of software could do. They also have an "online university" where users can communicate with each other and xTuple themselves, that has proven to be extremely valuable. Many times the issue or question we have has already been dealt with through another customer and the answer sits right there accessible to us. Overall xTuple has been great for us. They also are now hosting our website and although there have been some rough patches, I don't think we would go anywhere else as they allow it to integrate with our software, a big help.

Cons

Their customer service is probably their weakest link. Although they make an appreciable effort to respond to the issues we bring up, from our end sometimes it doesn't seem to be taken care of as quickly as we would like, and we have to follow-up for resolve. The website integration has some bugs, but eventually the bugs get worked out. We have two very capable IT employees who sometimes can figure out the bugs before they do, which is a big plus for us, as we can correct the issues then pass on the fix to xTuple. We all agree that the issues with customer service are worth the extreme value that the software has brought to our company.

Tom D.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Very powerful software, but comes with a learning curve.

Reviewed on 2018/09/28

I think that xTuple is a great piece of software, but it is much more attuned to larger, more regimented businesses. For the small and flexible business, QuickBooks is much more suitable to the style of operation that I have experienced with smaller businesses.

Pros

I can quickly and accurately keep track of all aspects of business operations.

Cons

The fact that once you post something, you cannot change it. In a lot of smaller businesses, a managerial style of accounting is used. A lot of little mistakes happen or a customer requires an invoice to be worded a certain way, etc... With xTuple, I have to void the transaction and start over. Not always feasible. Also, the limited ability to customize line items without creating an item is extremely limiting for smaller businesses.

Response from xTuple

Thanks for your review, Tom. What version of free PostBooks¿ are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd be curious to know how you're using the system, to see what might be missing! Message us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

Today¿s ERP solutions clearly miss the mark for the vast majority of smaller ¿ (but AWESOME!) manufacturing businesses who metaphorically don¿t need a bus to drive to the train station! The elephant in the room is that ERP is the wrong solution for small business, especially those who've outgrown QuickBooks. Watch for xTuple to shake up a 40+ year old industry with a new option in September 2019!

Frederick S.
Industry: Aviation & Aerospace
Company size: Self Employed

xTuple & PostBooks - CRM for small businesses to multi national corporations.

Reviewed on 2018/09/28

xTuple fits with the database back end that I use for many other functions. It has been a blessing in that it runs on multiple platforms and can be built from source code for the platforms that aren't supported in binary format from xTuple.

Pros

xTuple is very personable and easy to "get to know" It also allows one to tailor it to their specific business for the most part. There is plenty of support too. Both from purchased and community.

Cons

I really can't think of any right now.

Response from xTuple

Thank you for your glowing review, Frederick. What version of free PostBooks¿ are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd be curious to know how you're using the system, to help inform others who are in similar aviation businesses! Message us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing Be sure to get the latest update for your software and renew your free license key: https://xtuple.com/products/postbooks/license-key-registration

Eric A.

Good experience, Strong Customization Options

Reviewed on 2018/06/28

All the benefits of an ERP and excellent customization.

Pros

I like the ability to customize and develop new screens, new reports and add functionality to current screens. We have used this to track material purchases for sales orders and project bookings for months ahead.

Cons

That it can sometimes be to obscure. No resources are readily available regarding some of the classes that are available. Especially in the toolbox and in the xtreewidget. Often times I have to search through existing scripts to see how some functions operate.

Andrea K.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

xTuple is a software that is very easy to use for the end user with minimal training. Intuitive

Reviewed on 2017/09/21

Pros

1. Ease of navigation through applications
2. Ease of upload of spreadsheets through csv utility
3. Developer tools for reports, metasql, screens and scripts are user friendly
4. Screen filters and export to excel
5. Intuitive for the end user and developer

Cons

As a developer, not all screens and scripts are available to make customized modifications to meet the needs of our clients and myself.

Response from xTuple

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your longtime use and investment in xTuple.

Jacqueline B.
Industry: Wholesale

xTuple Honest Review

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

System of record all in 1 software. In-house programmers plus xTuple independent consultants assist with customization. Their staff not really knowledgeable on customization assistance. More for the billable hours than quality product.

Pros

Open Source makes customizing easy for our programmers. Excellent price structure

Cons

The CORE functionality difficult to customize

Response from xTuple

Thank you, Jacqueline, for your honest review and your investment in xTuple for Distribution. ERP is the heart and lungs of your organization. As you pointed out, xTuple's open platform helps make the system flexible for you. It's a powerful tool with many options for controlling your business.

Your success with xTuple relies on expert ERP consultants to help with your customization needs. (You've engaged a great consultant, too!)

Let us know how we can help with any frustrations or difficulties you may experience. Our mission is for customers to be happy, thriving businesses.

James O.

xTuple

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

Pros

Overall ease of use and the rich feature set.

Cons

Initial setup was a hassle but you’re good once you figure it out.

Response from xTuple

Thanks for your very nice review. Are you using the most recent release of PostBooks®? Let's ensure you have an updated license key: https://xtuple.com/products/postbooks/license-key-registration

Kenneth B.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

We have been trying to make xTuple work for us for 6 years we have finally decided to replace it.

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

It has been a problem from the beginning. We have used it for 7 years mainly due to the cost of replacement.

Pros

The orginal reason we purchase xTupel was the price and the list of feature and functionallity. It is loaded features. However quite a few of them really do not work the way you expect.

Cons

Support is the worst. The final answer is always "its a know bug" and good luck getting it fixed.

Response from xTuple

Ken, thanks for your time the other day. As I mentioned, there are some setup/configurations that need to be reviewed to ensure the features are utilized as intended. I'm glad to hear you¿re working with an xTuple solutions provider. As your account manager, I'm always available to assist with issues that may arise. Please keep me posted on your progress. xTuple really is a great product, and hopefully, after you upgrade from the older version, you will agree. -- Carolyn

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Javier C.

All you need from an ERP system at an affordable price

Reviewed on 2017/02/07

xTuple has most of the nice features of an expensive ERP at a very affordable price. All our departments work in tune and have full vision of what is going on on the day to day activities. Being able to use the client with different OS's (Linux/Windows/Mac) was very important for us, and now with the web enabled server it is even better. We run batch jobs like cost updates and MRP and have automated email sending for different events and reports that save us a lot of time.

Bugs are constantly monitored and fixed so there are not many weak points to highlight.

I would recommend having some knowledge of javascript and SQL in order to customize your client and reports the way your company needs. It's actually not really needed, but given the flexibility that xTuple offers to customized things it's totally worth it.

Overall, we are very happy with the decision we took 5 years ago.

Response from xTuple

Thank you so much for your review and your investment in xTuple Manufacturing. Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd be curious to know how you're using the system, to help inform others who are in similar businesses! Message us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

Brody B.

Your software has come a long way from the original OpenMFG days.

Reviewed on 2018/06/28

A better look at inventory management than previous software

Pros

It is very flexible and adapts to small and large companies.

Also, in an age where small business ERP software comes and goes all the time, you guys stuck with it and kept on building your product.

Cons

It took a lot of years to get to a place where it was bug free and truly usable. But I was a user when the code was still being written in the office next to me, so I saw the ugly broken beginnings.

Response from xTuple

Thank you for your review and investment in xTuple Manufacturing in the Cloud. Thanks for hanging in with us as a vital part of the xTuple Community as we built the software to meet the needs of our customers, small and large.

Claarence M.
Industry: Telecommunications

XTuple & My Business

Reviewed on 2018/09/28

One of the biggest business problems that I had was switching to multiple software, CRM to accounting to inventory. XTuple solve that by offering everything in on package.

Pros

It's cloud based open source software that let me tackle all of my business needs from customer relation management to accounting.

Cons

It's an excellent software with superb features so if you do not need one feature there are many more that will fit your needs.

Response from xTuple

Thank you for your glowing review, Clarence. What version of free PostBooks¿ are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He'd be curious to know how you're using the system, to help inform others who are in similar businesses! Message us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

Anthony F.
Industry: Machinery

Good value, but still buggy

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Pros

Pain-free implementation
Low price point
Ease of customization

Cons

Reporting
Business intelligence
Local-area support

Response from xTuple

Thanks, Anthony, for reviewing your xTuple Manufacturing software. This system was built for companies just like yours. ERP is definitely not for the easily intimidated. You've used the system for quite a long time; if you're on an older version, there's a lot of functionality and features you're probably missing. Please reach back to us; our goal is your success!

Kristina B.
Industry: Machinery

Excellent, timely responses

Reviewed on 2017/02/13

Whenever I submit any issues/bugs/incidents I know that I will get a response within the hour. Sometimes this response is through comments within my incident, and most times this response is with a phone call. In all my experiences the response has been very thorough, with the Xtuple contact asking many questions and offering many possible solutions. If they are not able to immediately correct my issue over the phone, I know upon hanging up that they will be checking into it and getting back to me asap.
Thank you for listening, being patient, and helping with even the "smallest" of issues!
Thank you!

Industry: Construction

Pretty good

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/10/09

Pros

I like that this software is pretty user-friendly ... Not as user-friendly as some I've tried but still pretty good.

Cons

The price of the software could be a little cheaper ... Thats the one major con I have.

Response from xTuple

Thanks for your review. What edition and version are you using? In the cloud? Let's ensure you're getting all that you need out of xTuple. https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services

Michael M.

Great support and a very sound technical foundation

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2017/09/27

Pros

The best feature in my opinion is the team behind the software. They go out of their way to work with their users to give you the best experience possible. Everthing is kept in the open. The other, best feature is the technological base, the system uses PostgreSQL extensively. If you know your database you're right at home with xTuple.

Cons

Unfortunately xtuple software lacks some of the adjustements needed for the geographical area we are in.

It's been a really solid solution for our client

Reviewed on 2018/07/02

The ability to create a custom solution that perfectly fit our client's needs.

Pros

I think the extendability of the software has to the the strongest feature. Great care has gone into letting you add features in a very maintainable fashion.

Cons

Sometimes I find that though most of the backend logic is encapsulated within the database - which is an interesting, seemingly solid model - there is some logic that still lives within the client software.

Response from xTuple

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. What version of xTuple are you on? Can you chat with xTuple¿s process guy? He's always looking for stories on how companies are using the system, especially about customizations, to help other similar businesses. We are also working on standing up a scripting library which might be of use to you. Feel free to contact us: https://xtuple.com/contact-marketing

David P.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

from initially hating the product, i am very comfortable with

Reviewed on 2018/07/02

Ability to obtain accurate and timely information for reports

Pros

Very powerful. Provides us with accurate information, once one really knows how the program works. Compared to other ERP programs, it is a lot less costly.

Cons

Reconciliation feature needs a lot of work. Look at Quickbooks to see how easy it is.
Still need the ability to print a P&L for a specific period that can be adjusted(e.g. 1 days or 1 week).
Not easy to customize(need to be a programmer)
Would like to see it work better in a Mac environment (ability to magnify screen when needed)
Would like to see an app that I can use on my iPad

Response from xTuple

Thank you, David, for your honest review and your investment in xTuple Manufacturing. RE: your P&L, here¿s some great tutorials on the Financial reporting engine (FRE); it¿s really a robust reporting tool that doesn¿t require programmer-level knowledge: https://xtupleuniversity.xtuple.com/library/videos/financial-reporting-engine-part-1

Let¿s ensure you're on the latest version of the software; your Account Rep can help: https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services

P.S. Watch for us to change the game and launch a new category of solutions in September 2019!

Darryl H.
Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

ASL xTuple Review

Reviewed on 2018/10/01

We are an aerospace company manufacturing in Thailand, Philippines and China. Traceability on Apple platform was our main focus. Now we are looking at functionality on quality.

Pros

Fairly straight forward ERP
CRM is good
Traceability is good

Cons

but handling of blanket customer orders is not good.
Manuals not real good on defining use. Very high level and not sufficient to train people.
Quality process is not consistent with industry requirements of 8D reporting

Response from xTuple

Thank you, Darryl, for your review and your long-term use of xTuple, not to mention recommendations over the years to your business friends. Please be sure to let us know how we can help to improve your experience with the software even more: https://xtuple.com/contact-us

Shubh S.
Industry: Food Production

xTuple has been a robust softare solution that does require little to moderate time to plug and play

Reviewed on 2018/07/05

It's fairly easy to get going with xTuple but does require a keen understanding of both the technological, people and process behind designing the logic to execute. The key benefit is the low cost to get started with the free version. The more our firm grows, we are looking at the commercial version to support varied functionality.

Pros

I like how you can integrate it across different platforms. Further, specialized features and functionality can be integrated with their open source solution.

Cons

I dislike that a lot of the key features we needed required the help of a consultant and some feature development.

Response from xTuple

Thanks Shubh. Watch for xTuple to shake up a 40+ year old industry with a new option in September 2019!

Angela L.
Industry: Sporting Goods

Xtuple is complex and very powerful if you know how to use it otherwise it can be difficult to use.

Reviewed on 2018/06/29

Pros

I like the date and user stamping for each transaction which really helps with auditing. I also like the way transactions are connected like from PO, to receiving document, to invoice and from SO, to invoice, to cash receipt, you can search back to the start of a transaction.

Cons

Sometimes the software lacks flexibility for instance the Purchase Order auto fills the vendor terms and there is not a way to override the due date when entering the invoice.

The reconciliation tool could be more user friendly for instance the deposit amounts sort alphabetically instead of numerically and when you view notes in the checks area it makes all the transactions several lines deep and you are not able to view very many transactions at a time. Also the reconciliation reports are entirely useless since all JE transactions are considered "Adjustments" and deposits and expenditures are combined without showing if the value is positive (went in to the account) or negative (came out of the account).

Response from xTuple

Thank you for your review and investment in xTuple Manufacturing. Your ERP is a powerful tool with many options for default settings to automatically populate fields. Reach out to your system administrator or let¿s connect you with our Professional Services Team to ensure you¿ve got everything configured just like you need it, for the job you have: https://xtuple.com/contact-professional-services They may also recommend a class or direct you to some free online resources at https://xTupleUniversity.com.

Mike D.
Industry: Construction

Great value

Reviewed on 2017/02/23

We have had a great deal of success adapting the Xtuple software to our business, which has many peculiarities you would not normally expect a non-custom system to handle. Our relationship with the Xtuple family has always been wonderful. With no in-house programmer we have had to rely on the team there and especially Customer support representative who has always come through for us.

Pros

Adaptability and ease of customization.

Cons

Some degradation of speed as files grow.

Mike R.
Industry: Management Consulting

Consultant's View of xTuple

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/09/28

A client approached me to help them setup a playbox with their data. After we helped them do simple setup activities, GL Accounts, Parts, BOMs/BOOs, customers, suppliers, etc. we used real data to simulate a week in the life. By the end of the week, the client was confident that xTuple would assist them in doing their daily work with little interruption to their real business of making products.

Pros

Intuitiveness for me and the customers I worked to implement

Cons

The online help could be improved a bit

Response from xTuple

Thank you for your review and so glad to hear you're engaged in ERP support with a valuable xTuple customer. We're always working diligently to improve support options. Have you thought of becoming an ERP consultant with xTuple's program? When it comes to small business, the ERP emperors have no clothes¿ Watch for us to change the game and launch a new category of solutions (and VAR program) in September 2019!