Codenvy

On-Demand Developer Workspaces with a built in cloud IDE.

Tim L.

Next step in development

Reviewed on 2015/03/31

This is a great product that is almost there. We have started using it for little open source products. Its pretty easy to have one dev setup the project, and the others just clone the codenvy project. We are up and running in no time. I love that it is using Docker, and that you can provide your own docker run scripts.

Pros

* Fast from 0 to up and running
* Nice angular'ish interface that is quite responsive
* Works on mobile enough to run your app
* Integrates pretty well with GitHub
* Many different types of projects supported (java, go, etc...)
* Tech Support is great. I had 2 tickets answered w/in 24 hours.
* Works well
* Autocomplete is decent

Cons

* Sometimes you get into a weird state with old sessions
* No code search that I found, but I think they are working on this feature
* 10 minute timeout can be annoying but sometimes its nice. Setting?
* I wish i could just sign up for the $1/month service w/o contacting sales

Response from Codenvy

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed review. We can confirm that we are working on a number of improvements to the product (we release >3x per month). We are also going to be changing our purchasing model so that it's completely automated and doesn't require speaking to Sales - this should be coming in several weeks.

Thanks for being a customer!
Brad

Timothy V.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great light weight option for cloud IDE, building, and live testing

Reviewed on 2015/03/24

Starting to play with it at work and am now using it for some of my small/medium projects. It's very easy to load code in and start going right away. I am using it to deploy java webapps to a tomcat container. Codenvy allows you to actually deploy a tomcat instance in a docker container for free. Setup takes about 10 minutes, and after that you're ready to go. The docker instance only lives for about 10 minutes. I've found this to be sufficient when testing features.

The cloud IDE is really fast for what it is, but possibly isn't quite as snappy as a high-end development machine. I tried using it with a giant work project, and wasn't able to make it work.

Pros

Quick
supports multiple languages
supports quick on line testing
easy to use

Cons

docker instance only live 10 minutes for free version
Giant projects don't quite work.

Response from Codenvy

Thank you very much for your thorough review - we would love an opportunity to work with you on getting your work project running in Codenvy - please post some details on our Google Group:

We will be moving to a new pricing model that will remove the 10 minute running timeout for free projects in April 2015.

Thanks,
Brad

Justin evan B.
  • Industry: Program Development

The future of programming

Reviewed on 2015/03/19

I started using Codenvy, for only a week ago. But I feel like I have been using it for a very long time. I don't even have any difficulties in using it. It has a lot of projects to offer but the simplicity is awesome. I feel at home in codenvy, because it looks like my favorite editors and IDEs (Sublime, PHPStorm, and Brackets). Besides, it behaves like linux os so I no longer need to dual boot my laptop. And when it comes to configuration, I no longer need to wory about the configurations needed when I use windows or ubuntu. Another thing I love about Codenvy is that deployment is easier, and my data are safe and backed up in the internet. I don't need to worry about it being accidentally lost when my laptop crashes or worse, if my hard disk suddenly gets corrupted. Codenvy is the best. And I and my friends will be using it in our upcoming projects.

Pros

Easy to use and set up. Huge support for the latest languages and frameworks. User friendly. Good for both students and professional programmers/developers. Less hard disc space is required by codenvy. No other apps required, only a working browser. Fast and intelligent development environment.

Cons

I think the thing I can't use in codenvy are my keyboard shortcuts. The ones I usually use in Sublime and Netbeans.

Response from Codenvy

Thank you for the thorough review - you can use Sublime, vi and emacs key binding by going to Window > Preferences in the menu. You should see on the right a drop-down which allows you to change the key bindings.

Darius J.

brief overview

Reviewed on 2015/04/03

Hello,

I must admit I haven't been using codenvy for a long time - I'm just a newjoiner so far. However I love the idea of cloud IDE! And I love the design! dark, easy on eyes, contrast is great and all the colors are visible very well eventhough everything is dark. Also I haven't run into a cloud IDE that has a running X server - that's something new (for me at least).

However there still are a few things I'd like to be changed...
First of all - logging in to the system. Username and password are passed via GET [or a very poorly secured POST] and both are visible in addressbar once the LogIn button is clicked. What is that??? Comon guys, it's just not right. What's the point of masking password in TextField if it can be seen in address bar?
Also It's very annoying that virtual machine powers off after several minutes. If I'm writing an application I need to relaunch my code quite often and these poweroffs are really frustrating.

Apart from that the IDE looks really smooth even on my 10'' notebook - there's enough space to see everything. Also I love that it supports multiple languages and even databases. It's really nice to have everything in one place.

Response from Codenvy

First of all, thank you for using Codenvy. We are going to be addressing the short timeout for runners in our 3.9 release due in late April. On the password concern could you please email me an example screenshot of this as I am unable to reproduce what you're seeing and we take security very seriously. You can reach me at [email protected]

Shivakshi C.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Coolest Cloud IDE

Reviewed on 2017/12/11

Pros

I personally like to have my workspace in the cloud and accessible anywhere.
GitHub integration is pretty cool. Ability to use git commands in the workspace is amazing.
Pretty close to the user experience I have in my local IDE.

Cons

Lack of keyboard shortcuts.
Lacks drag and drop support
Could also provide SSH, FTP kind of access which is crucial for many projects.

Todd D.

Codenvy Rocks - Great for Mobile Teams

Reviewed on 2016/05/27

Many moons ago I went to school to be a Computer Programmer Analyst. My Major was C++ with a minor in SQL and Java.

Currently my career path has taken me to become a System Administrator. I've been looking to get back into programming as I do some HTML5/CSS stuff on the side.

My personal company, I want to use more of a cloud based setup. I am considering purchasing Chromebooks as equipment and since the main framework we plan on using is Elm, I needed an environment that would support that. Enter Codenvy.

First off, it supports a ton of languages right off the hop. Even if I didn't want to use a framework, it has enough language support to get any project off the ground. The team based options are perfect and the support for adding frameworks like Elm are easy to follow.

I like how easy it is to create/import projects. You can import from GIT Repos, GITHUB, ZIP, or configuration files. Then you can export them back to the same sources. You can deploy the application from the IDE, you can even test/debug right from within the IDE.

I haven't spent a ton of time with it, but based on what I have, it's an amazing service that I hope does not go away anytime soon.

Jacob B.

Confusing at first, but certainly rewarding

Reviewed on 2015/09/23

As a student, I'm fairly new to coding and programming. I taught myself HTML in the past, but this year I started taking a class in Java. My school issues chromebooks to every student, which are useful for taking notes and collaborating with other students, but I was ultimately stuck when I found that the other IDEs I had been using on my personal computer were not available for Chrome OS. So I did some search and I stumbled upon a few solutions, including Codenvy and Cloud9. I struggled to get accustomed to Cloud9 for a week or two before a student in my class recommended Codenvy to me. He taught me how to use it and how to build and run programs we had been creating in class, and since then, I've been using Codenvy, and have considered it as a replacement for my go-to IDE on my personal computer as well.

Codenvy is different from IDEs because it makes programming more simple. Codenvy makes your programs more accessible not only to you, but to others as well.

Harry Z.
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

As primary code editor using at home

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

Pros

can use in web browser. can respond quickly/not slow. that is good.
support various programming languages.
Can share work with others
can publish work as stack

Cons

it would be great if it works with local storage.
need improvement to editors,
1. more auto complete, for example, editing pom.xml of mavin file.
2. didn't see auto complete for java when I use it for java.
3. didn't see customization for project setup when I created java program. I don't like to have my package packed as che.examples as always.

Bryan S.

Enterprise development environments without the hassle.

Reviewed on 2015/04/08

While Codenvy is excellent in its flexible development and deployment, I personally found a great use for it by using it to do homework assignments in Computer Science / Software Engineering classes. These classes often use server side languages for assignments and Codenvy makes it easy to complete these assignments by basically eliminating the need to setup your own server. It is also a bonus that all server parameters and frameworks and languages are all customizable. Finally, you also do not need an IDE installed on your computer as Codenvy is fully web based. You can work on the go from any computer.

I have not found too many flaws in Codenvy other than it can be a little complicated to use for users who are not on a higher level of technical ability. However this is not a flaw, because the technical people are who it was designed for.

Eddie F.

Easy to use ANYWHERE!

Reviewed on 2015/03/21

I haven't been coding for a very long time. It took me a while to feel comfortable with Codenvy over more traditional IDEs. After some adjusting, I have learned to love it. The ability to use it cross platform, on-the-fly via the Chrome Browser has become a Godsend. I've been able to walk people through some of the parts that it would take me 5x longer if going through a traditional IDE. The fact that it's the same everywhere is amazing. I can tell someone on a PC to click somewhere and it will be the same on my Mac.

I will say that it's not perfect. It can sometimes lag, or sometimes give me an error here or there, but at least it works. When I first started to code, I tried to set up the same things on my Eclipse IDE and it took forever, and got all sorts of errors. On codenvy, they made it easy and nearly flawless. I've even tried other

Alvis W.

Quick, Easy, Simply Amazing

Reviewed on 2015/04/08

Pros:
Easy to start - There're a lot of project templates and Hello World samples to start with , and getting started instructions for getting-started-guided-tour template.
Easy to deploy and run
Integration with Git
Clear UI and instructions
Various functions: Datasource, db backend, build & run, git, share with clone, etc.
Sharing allows you to collaborate with others

Cons:
The theme is too dark (in my opinion), adding some themes of lighter colors would be great
The text is a little bit hard to read (just a little bit)
The windows is sometimes a little bit laggy

Overally, it is an amazing tool to let developers code anywhere with Internet access, and it allows you to collaborate with others with its own function and git integration. The UI and functionality is simple but great.

Bhagi B.

Reviewed on 2019/01/23

Kasun D.

Coolest cloud IDE I ever worked!

Reviewed on 2016/04/25

I'm currently work as an engineer on WSO2 App Cloud. We integrated codenvy with our cloud platform and I must say codenvy added a huge value to our cloud platform.

Apart from that I personally use codenvy to play with my repos currently in GitHub with the use of its GitHub integration feature. Its pretty simple easy and cool!

Pros:
- I personally like to having my workspace in the cloud and accesible anywhere.
- GitHub integration is pretty cool. Ability to use git commands in the workspace +1.
- Pretty close to the user experience I have in my local IDE.

Cons:
- I prefer the dark UI to code. But some may prefer light UI.
- Lack of keyboard shortcuts.
- Better if we can have some more code generation options.

Cd C.

Good GUI drive Cloud Workspace

Reviewed on 2015/09/25

Pros
Quick and easy setup
Docker
Free account allow enough to get started
GUI menus for everything so you can generally find what you're looking for
Good basic VIM keyboard shortcuts

Cons
Takes some time to find things when you first start
No terminal access
Git support is good but missing advanced git commands/flags

Overall I think this is a good contender. I've used Nitrous.io, Codeanywhere, Cloud9, and Koding. The ability to use Dockerfiles alone is a big bonus. And once over the learning curve, it was nice to have a GUI to get through some tasks. However if you're comfortable and frequently drop to cli, I think there's a bit more adjustment time. I'd recommend it if you use Docker or want to use Docker.

Nicola M.

An IDE in the cloud, sounds great!

Reviewed on 2015/04/15

I tried the free account of Codenvy SaaS.
I found that the idea behind Codenvy was successful, coding everywhere without the needs of installing any software on my PC, just a browser and (obviously) an Internet connection.
The dashboard design, as well as the IDE itself, is very modern and clean, you can do everything with simplicity. The support for various programming languages and for some framework was great, too.
Maybe more frameworks support must be nedded (for me the most importants are Laravel for PHP coding, and maybe a support for creating new Grails project - it would be great if you introduce the support for Grails 3.0).
The overall rating was really great, I think in future this must be the way to develop.

Yong B.

Among the few best cloud IDEs that are actually usable

Reviewed on 2015/11/13

I'm not a fan of cloud-based IDEs and in general I tend to prefer native apps over web applications, particularly for software development, where writing, building, and running code are "special" requirements. After trying Codenvy I am thoroughly impressed - this shouldn't be possible! I love the way they are taking advantage of containerization, and the UI is very well done. The only two cons I can voice, and I hope this is only a matter of time, is that there isn't offline access; and that you can't view a graphics buffer to see what a program draws on the screen. It would be awesome to have some kind of graphical window that appears... in the browser? Who knows.

Varun K.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Reviewed on 2018/09/20

John G.

Overall Pretty Amazing

Reviewed on 2016/02/08

First off let me start out with the Pros: This IDE has the lowest learning curve ive ever seen. nothing fancy needs to be learned or remembered to get up and running. checking out your application is as simple as starting an apache process and clicking the link, and the UI is stunningly beautiful. Thats said the one Con that i've seen is the pricing scheme. they have free accounts but the chasm between free and paid is immense. Free for 5 users,but if you have 6 users its $240 a MONTH... there is no middle ground, its either free or unreasonably expensive for a small startup team that isn't making any money off our software yet.

Richard K.

Great Learning/Tinkering Platform

Reviewed on 2015/10/29

As someone who is often doing projects on the go and owns a "carrying" laptop that has less storage than a single standalone IDE off the bat, I enjoy Codenvy's ability to allow me to tinker with new languages and learn without the commitment of downloading a new IDE. Plus it seems to be more responsive on my 2GB of ram and 2GHZ Dualcore than that of IDEs that aren't in the cloud. My biggest complaint, however, is the double edged sword that is the complexity that the dashboard includes. Its great if I am operating on more complex projects, but I find it obstructive when doing smaller projects where I just need to get in and out.

Scott W.

Basic features easy to use, more advanced features are a little more obtuse.

Reviewed on 2015/05/07

I found CodeEnvy very easy to use as far as getting it set up with my application. However, I then ran into difficulty in getting the database connection set up. I have two applications, one is using a localhost database and the other is using a database on an Amazon RDS instance. I had some difficulty getting these set up to work with my applications.

Another pain point for me, is my applications are both PHP applications. However, I could not ever get any syntax highlighting in the editor.

These two areas were large enough areas of pain that I ended up discontinuing on my path to using CodeEnvy.

Dylan F.

Codenvy is incredible

Reviewed on 2015/10/26

Codenvy has an excellent interface that makes navigation across their workspaces seamless and simple. I use Codenvy workspaces in my Programming in Python, and Programming in Java classes, and it is helpful for all of my assignments. The best part about codenvy.com is that it is reliable, and efficient.
Some flaws of codenvy are its lag, and its occasional delays. These delays may not even be attributed to Codenvy itself, but may be a result of network connectivity problems or individual computer problems.
Codenvy is incredible.

Armand E.

A Great Cloud IDE that Competes with the best of them!

Reviewed on 2015/09/18

I used to use Visual Studio "Project Monaco" for my on the fly development.

But with automation through factories for new projects. Java support, PaaS Deployment, Fully functional SQL editor, Datasource with support for Google Cloud and AWS; Codenvy is actually a no-brainer!

I must note though, for utmost performance, be sure that your bandwidth is up to scratch and that your firewall settings aren't too hectic.

I would definitely recommend Codenvy for a super easy, nice looking and reliable online IDE.

Pasha K.

Collaborative coding done right

Reviewed on 2015/04/17

I have actually used Codenvy in a team at one of my previous workplaces.
We were in a dire need to having a way to collaborate between various teams, and following a short market study conducted by me, we chose Codenvy.

I think that we might not be the most savvy users out there, but Codenvy suited our immediate needs perfectly - and having it for free was a giant plus.

Even though I work solo these days, I still find myself recommending Codenvy to people of ask me about could based IDEs.

Wonderful job, guys!

Nishanth V.

Code envy is a killer

Reviewed on 2015/05/28

Cloud Ide's are awesome these days. and Code envy is a killer. I use Chromebook as my development machine which is pretty light weight in itself and Code Envy runs sleek on that. There are plenty of support for all kinds of software languages. I am pleased totally!!!. Our organization is trying to get in to Node, Angular space. we found this one as our go to IDE

Pros

Light weight
No software required
Plenty of support for languages
Great Support

Cons

It is not completely free!

Sean D.

Development from a chromebook

Reviewed on 2016/03/26

My PC laptop died, and I was looking for a way to develop from my chromebook.

pros: lots of support for different languages. IDE runs in the cloud. So all you need to code is a web browser which is very cool.

cons: running your code is slow, so it is a little more tedious. To be expected for a cloud-based service, but requires is quite the adjustment from running eclipse on PC.

I am looking forward to spending more time figuring out CodeEnvy for my personal for fun projects.