Zoho Books

Online accounting software for growing businesses

Rick
Rick

Zoho Books has been our go to for invoicing for years

Reviewed on 2023/03/22

I started using Zoho Books many years ago and have used it ever since. It's been easy to use and the customer service has been great whenever I need a little help. It's simple to create new invoices and it's what I always recommend to others. Every so often I try other services but always end up back at Zoho and all their different services.

Pros

I have been using a single template for years and it's made my life very easy. It even creates the invoice and reminds me to send it.

Cons

I wish Zoho Books would automatically send the invoice for me but it's not a big deal. I just really like automation whenever possible.

• Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Using ZOHO Books for invoicing and payments in US Dollars and Mexican Pesos

Reviewed on 2022/01/14

use it for all client invoices and payments
also use for all vendor payments and invoice tracking...

use it for all client invoices and payments
also use for all vendor payments and invoice tracking of accounts payable and recieveable

Pros

very easy interface with Zoho CRM and integration with online payment capabilities in both US Dollars and Mexican Pesos

Cons

the multi currency feature is sometimes glitchy in reports

Best Movers CRM and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

more functionality

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books

much easier interface and the integration with a partner CRM program within ZOHO
Andre
Andre

They don't fix old issues

Reviewed on 2022/08/01

There are a lot of outstanding problems that users have notified them about and I continuously see people bringing up the same problems years after they were first brought to the attention of the developers.

Pros

It was relatively easy to switch from the previous accounting software.

Cons

They do not fix old issues unless they are critical to the functioning of the software.

Quickbooks Online and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books

Because Wave was bought by H&R Block and they decided NOT to support anyone outside of the USA anymore.

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books

1 year free Zoho Books subscription offer through Wave Accounting to switch away from Wave.
Samuel

The Perfect Accounting Solution For Business

Reviewed on 2023/11/01

Zoho Books is a go to solution and has been very helpful when it comes to all matters accounting

Pros

First, it is an easy to understand accounting solution
It makes online accounting easy
It makes invoicing and purchasing easy
It makes handling accounts payable easy

Cons

While using Zoho Books, my experience has been amazing. It has some great features and not a single issue or missing feature

"Zoho Books"; Accounting made easy.

Reviewed on 2020/12/19

I have been in the field of finance and accounting for quite a couple of time now and have tested many accounting softwares. I finally landed on Zoho Books and my experience with this software is amazingly outstanding in its results and ease of use.

Pros

It's very effective and efficient in its operations. Zoho Books perform splendid task as expected.

The BRS statement is also an amazing feature I enjoy mostly on this software as it prints clearly all required details as expected.

Cons

For the fact that the little shortcomings are prevalent regarding the usage of this software, its benefits cannot be outweighed.
The only problem i think is with this software is for the fact that you must be familiar with the accounting terms as a new user to be able to effectively use the function to the fullest benefits.
A learning or help pop ups when added to the features will be of help especially to new users

Theresa
  • Industry: Publishing
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Migrated from Wave to Zoho Books. Horrible experience

Reviewed on 2023/05/12

Precious time wasted. After reading their manuals, watching their videos, Googling answers, I finally had a one-on-one training session with a trainer who advised me to employ the services of a Zoho-experienced accountant in South Africa. We had thought that because of Wave Accounting's recommendation, that Zoho Books would be similarly user-friendly and intuitive. It is not at all.

Pros

They seem to have an impressive array of apparently useful functions.

Cons

This is the most non-intuitive, difficult, cumbersome, obscure programme I have ever worked with. Example: even in deleting our account after wasting hours trying to become functional, the instructions seemed to be clear: Log in to your account. Click the user picture. Click My Account. In the account page, select the Preferences tab. Click Close Account in the left menu. Except THERE IS NO PREFERENCES TAB IN THE LEFT MENU. They forgot to tell you to click on Settings first, and THEN select Preferences. A perfect example of what to expect from the entire platform.

Sara
Sara
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

As soon as ZohoBooks is set up, creating invoices is a breeze

Reviewed on 2023/01/23

Once you have your invoice template set up, creating invoices is a breeze. Zoho Books integrates quite smoothly with both Zoho CRM and Zoho Subscriptions. It would be helpful if there were a way to customize reminder emails depending on the reason the invoice was not paid.

Pros

Each and every one of our clients' billing and subscription needs are handled by me personally. We really liked how simple it was to link Zoho Books and Zoho CRM. Since our customers come from all over the world, having access to many payment gateways is invaluable. The creating goods function is quite beneficial, since we offer numerous services at different pricing.

Cons

Workflow and Invoice Personalization. One company's choice of languages for use with international clients.

Becky
Becky

We can track all invoices with Zoho books

Reviewed on 2023/03/17

In terms of billing, invoicing, tracking payments, and maintaining an accurate inventory count, I can confidently say that this experience has been nothing short of remarkable thus far.

Pros

Having 2nd factor authentication and many ways to retrieve transactions, as well as everything else you would need to keep your business functioning, are two features I particularly appreciate.

Cons

This is the trickiest part because I can't really think of anything I dislike; however, I do have some comment on the quality of customer support and the requirement of an internet connection.

Unenabasi Godwin
Unenabasi Godwin

Incredible Accounting Software for Freelancers and Startups

Reviewed on 2020/07/22

Zoho helps my business keep accurate accounting records, bill customer and drive down receivables.

Pros

Zoho captures every aspect of my company's finances. The tool makes it easy for you to create estimates, and invoices, capture bills and expenses as well as monitor business health. The muti-user feature lets business track expenses and movement of funds between departments and business teams.

Another incredible feature that makes Zoho stand out is their customer support. They have an amazing support team that responds quickly. Plus, they help you valuable suggestions to help you navigate difficult accounting operations.

Cons

Zoho does not have an offline capability. The software is cloud-based so you must have an internet connection to access the software.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books

Zoho is easy to use and their support team responds on time.
Michael
Michael

Zoho Books

Reviewed on 2021/02/11

Zoho is very user friendly and once you have used any other accounting software it's easy to get up and running with Zoho Books.

Pros

Ease of use, it has all the features I was looking for in an accounting application. The security is another factor I like Zoho Books.

Cons

I wish there could be a way to get transactions directly firm wave accounting app.

Jose R.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

The best invoicing / accounting tool for freelancers, period.

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

Zoho Books is just a fantastic tool. Coming from Freshbooks and paying a hefty fee for it I was not only limited in terms of features (and paypal support) but also somewhat bored with their lackluster interface. Zoho was great and hit all the marks for me, the interface is simple and intuitive and the price point at my scale is just unbeatable. I can't see any other accounting system after using Zoho Books.

Pros

This is the best bang for buck you can get if you are a startup, an independent freelancer or just need invoicing to start. There is no other system comparable with Zoho at this price point.

Cons

There are many features I didn't test because they are out of realm for my specific needs. I am sure for others they might be important but if these were "enabled as needed" rather than always there cluttering the interface that would be better.

Aninda
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Good Billing Application

Reviewed on 2022/10/21

It was awesome to use Zoho books, it improved our operational efficiency and was very easy to use.

Pros

This is an efficient and affordable billing application. Serves all the basic needs and is capable of handling large data sets.

Cons

Customer or Product Support seriously needs to improve. Every customer needs a modification as per their business requirements and Zoho shall cater those changes actively.

Kashoo and NetSuite

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books

Freshbooks was very basic back then and had very limited set of features.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books

Zoho Books had local support team, which is why we put our trust on them.
Rob
  • Industry: Telecommunications

RUN do not walk way from this product!

Reviewed on 2021/04/27

I would rather deal with the IRS, Comcast and AT&T all at once than this company.

Pros

Zoho has been a constant and ongoing headache since switching 3 years ago. Since then it has been an ongoing everyday headache. Support simply does not exist with this company. Support articles are 10 years old and do reflect the current software.

Cons

Support! This company DOES NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT. Whoever answers chats simply wastes your times and never ever helps.

Brandy

Brandy Jackson

Reviewed on 2022/07/28

Pros

That it integrates with Zoho Commerce . This is the reason I chose it

Cons

It is very expensive. But it is one of the only ones out there that works with a website

Mohammed
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Smart Accounting Software Built for Business

Reviewed on 2021/09/16

My overall experience with Zoho Books is good and I've been using it for the past three years and have recommended it to a number of clients.

Pros

-Zoho Books is an easy-to-use accounting app which displays all your financial information in a simple
format and a person with less or no knowledge of accounting can also use it.
-Zoho Books eliminates the need to manually enter data, lowering the risk of errors.
-With access control and audit trails, Zoho Books ensures data integrity and gives you complete control
over your business data.
-GST compliance is automatic with Zoho Books. The Government of India has named it the Best App in
the Business Category.
-Zoho Books integrates with other business applications, allowing you to access and work with your data
from a single place. Integrations are available with Zoho People, Zoho CRM, Zoho Projects, Zoho Reports,
and more.
-Zoho Books creates professional reports automatically to help you communicate your data effectively.
You can also personalize reports by filtering and organizing them to your preferences.
-Zoho Books saves all of your financial information in the cloud, where it can be quickly restored, so you
never have to worry about losing data.

Cons

-The app is appropriate for small and medium-sized businesses. It is incapable of managing complex
corporate processes.
- On weekends (Saturday & Sunday), the support crew is not available to help clients with their problems.
-The software doesn’t allow you to import contacts from your social media sites. It allows you to build
your client details through the inbuilt mail feature.
-There is no budgeting feature available.

Amy
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

We Use Zoho Books for Multiple Companies

Reviewed on 2023/08/18

ZOHO books has been a great tool for many of our companies. It is great for companies with project management, from estimate to sales order to purchase orders and Invoicing. ZOHO provides live reporting as your team takes the order through the sales process. Customization for our specific business was a huge game changer, as we didn't need to get outside help involved to make simple changes that made our work flow process better. It saves time and errors.

Pros

The live dashboard and analytics has provided great insight into our business profitability. The ability to have our project management and accounting systems tied into one saves on time and human error. The automation, workflows and custom fields are a game changer and allow any kind of person to be able to tailor the system to your needs. Whenever I am not able to code something myself, I send a request to the customer service team, and they are usually able to write the scripts for me. The ability to tie into Avalara and not have to worry about taxation is also a huge bonus.

Cons

I wish the Purchase Orders for drop ship customers were more obviously tied to the Sales Orders. There are ways to identify which POs belong to which SOs, but seems to be a little more complicated than it could be. I also wish there was a way to see how much we have invoiced against Customer POs. I also wish we could integrate our payroll with ZOHO, as ZOHO payroll isn't currently offered in Michigan. As a result we are having to do more manual entry for employee hours and journal entries for the payroll.

Rebecca
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Over 50, not an accountant & never aspired to own a small business...

Reviewed on 2016/11/25

It's true, but when your calling is a clear one, you are obligated to follow! Our small care giving business has employees working exclusively at customer sites. The caregivers (most also over 50 yrs. old) input their time, mileage & expenses from their smart phones. Invoicing is generally done at my laptop but can be done from my phone. The invoicing can be personalized with valuable information for our clients such as upcoming holidays, rate changes, & thank yous for allowing us to earn their business.

The reporting is simple to use as is the customer support. The customer support is very knowledgeable & easy to understand. We have never experienced a wait time either.

We tried another accounting package our first year of business & found it too cumbersome & not user friendly for those of us with only basic accounting skills. Zoho was recommended by our professional accountant & business advisor. Zoho has greatly simplified our invoicing, reporting, & customer account related tasks, so that we can focus on senior care giving where our gifts are strong. Thanks, Zoho!
-R. Ford, Owner of The Merry Marthas, LLC

Pros

- Phone based app & laptop s-ware are EZ to use.

Cons

Don't quite understand how to customize an invoice, save it & use it for monthly billing.

Sometimes, I have to play around with the invoice to get all of the detail needed to print. For example, it is not readily apparent how to display the dates for which each expense is incurred on the invoice.

Not having a copy of our company's data stored on our system makes me nervous so we keep paper back ups. Surely there is a better contingency plan of which we could take advantage.

Mike
Mike
  • Industry: Accounting

Great solution.. but not for everyone

Reviewed on 2018/09/20

I used Zoho Books for my own practice for 3 years+for a few of my Clients. It's fast and reliable, and developers are improving it very regularly - adding new features constantly.
I would highly recommend using it especially in the businesses that would also use other software from Zoho-like e-mail or CRM-they're well priced and are extremely cost-effective.

Pros

Zoho Books is lightning fast-miles ahead of the competition if it comes to the speed of the software. The actual user experience is very close to the desktop software.
Another good feature is its customizability - you'll find a plethora of options with Zoho, obviously designed with advanced reporting tools that come with Zoho Suite in mind.
What's important - importing and exporting stuff from Zoho is also very simple - that comes in handy if you want to switch to another software from Zoho, you'll be able to do it-most counterparts allow you to migrate data only partly.
Importing journals-extremely important feature-works flawlessly.

Cons

No integrated payroll functionality - small flaw, as you can easily import journals from the software of your choice.
Average bank reconciliation - filtering records is difficult, custom sorting as well.
No itegrated CIS solution.
No reporting directly to HMRC.

Ann

Go-To Invoicing Software Everyone Should Have

Reviewed on 2015/09/22

We are a company that's 10 years in the industry. We cater a thousand orders a month and getting an invoicing software that's basically gonna do the job is essential. We've been to a couple of invoicing software but none of those were good enough to bring with us on our road to success. The last software we've got literally ruined our business for a couple of months that we decided to give it up until I found Zoho books. I have heard much of Zoho from my virtual assistant colleagues and their employers have been using them for a while. I decided to sign up for a free trial and loved it! It does almost everything that we need in an invoicing software. Its payment reminders allow us to optimize our collections every month and it keeps going. Its ability to track overdue invoices, customizing templates, and custom fields were a tremendous help in making sure our documents are as accurate as we need them to be. Customer service is also a big help. Someone always answers the phone on their end, emails are being replied in a timely manner and call backs are done in less than 24 hrs. All these for $24 a month which is kind of awesome. We are probably going to stick with Zoho for a while and we are just even starting.

Reports are also pretty detailed and is a big help for us to track our progress. On the other side of the coin, I hope they also have an API integrated in their system. Makes it easier for our vendors.

I recommend it to small to large scale business who are looking to integrate their accounting and invoicing (probably their inventory as well with Zoho Inventory on the way). Zoho Books is for you.

Pros

Pros:

1. Reports. We needed to track our progress down every week and what better way it is than to view our reports. Zoho allows you to get a report for Sales Person, Items and Customer. It's detailed report on overdue invoices are great for us to pound the ones that need to pay.

2. Payment Reminders. Our invoices are always set in an open account. Therefore, we need an automated system to remind our customers about their due invoices. Works great for our collection!

3. Customer Service. They are always good at getting back to you. When no one is available to answer your call, tehy are going to call you back in less than 24 hrs. Their email support is also pretty quick they wont leave you hanging.

Cons

Zoho is good about getting a constructive suggestion done.

However, I wish they have an API integration with the system. Also with the Zoho Inventory along hte way, Im pretty sure they will be a perfect go-to software for our company.

steve

for a 1 man shop, it's a nice, inexpensive alternative

Reviewed on 2020/02/21

in the ~2 years i've been using the software, i've seen dramatic improvements over all (it felt very "beta" when i started, it now feels much more robust).

Pros

cost and the ability to build your own integration tools.

compared to other options (unnamed here, but you know who they are), it is VERY cost efficient and effective. depending on options chosen with alternatives it costs anywhere from 25% to 75% of what The Other Guys offer.

i've even been able to write some integrations with it (using some powerful and reasonably well documented REST APIs)

Cons

the interface is a bit clunky - things like matching take a bit of getting used to.

banking integration only allows one sync per 24 hour period.

Jeethendra
Jeethendra

From free to paid subscription

Reviewed on 2023/09/11

Overall I liked the experience since we deal in both retail & software industry in one account itself.

Pros

The ease of using the zoho books across all the device since the data is stored in server rather than tally in which the data is stored locally in the system.

Cons

Nothing to complain as such, but you can say demo or training is necessary extensively to use the application in more productive way.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise
Mitch

Excellent Accounting Software for Small to Medium Size Businesses

Reviewed on 2021/01/08

Pros

I use Zoho Books as part of my Zoho One subscription. Zoho is integral in the operation of my business. I have found these tools to be comprehensive, powerful, and relatively easy to learn and use. Zoho Books is certainly no exception. I love the automation tools and customization options. Support is also prompt and efficient.

Cons

If I wasn't part of Zoho One, I'm not sure I ever would have discovered or used Books. Though it is a great option, I'm not sure how it compares with other modern bookkeeping software. I haven't examined the market recently.

Troy
Troy
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Zoho Books is the best online accounting software.

Reviewed on 2019/09/11

This software makes so easy for us that how we can better manage our sales, marketing, invoices and accounts. It gives you all financial reports, payments process and sales and marketing features. I always recommended this software for the business companies which is always worried about the payment recurring and payment transaction.

Pros

Zoho Books makes our life so easier by managing all of our invoices and expenses and get ready your checks to get rid all of our our money easily. By using this efficient software, we cannot worried about our banks accounts, transactions problems and we can easily collaborate with our customer and accountant. Through the Zoho Books software, our payments integration is always great and fabulous. Zoho Books also have the reporting features which gives you complete reports of your sales, marketing and purchasing information at anytime.

Cons

This software is not so easy to use especially for the beginners is that they cannot easily handle the advanced payments and in this why they faced a lot of problems about the payments acceptance and invoices recurring. But otherwise it is best for the payment transaction, invoices recurring and expenses.

Verity
Verity

A really good introductory product

Reviewed on 2020/05/10

This was the first software I used for invoicing/books and it was a really gentle intro - simple, clean and with great customer service, it is hard to fault!

Pros

I use Zoho Books primarily for invoicing. The interface is clean and clear and user friendly, with improvements being made all the time. Thankfully improvements are made slowly and don't leave you to end up feeling like "where has my known and loved application gone?" The customer service is great - responsive and clear responses with no up-selling and fluff.

Cons

The payment plans are a little frustrating. The limits are on the number of contacts and as a business with lots of contacts and only one transaction often per contact it gets really expensive. I wish they could increase the number of contacts in the $9 plan as the step-up plan does not include anything else I need or want other than the additional contacts

• Industry: Security & Investigations

Price hike

Reviewed on 2023/05/22

Pros

The mobile app is great, doesn't make me want to scream or cringe. Everything feels as though it's exactly where I need it to be and in the order I'll be using it, mostly.Tons of options for reports and forms. Integrates with Zoho CRM. Time tracking and inventory tracking put some icing on the cake.

Cons

I do not like the time tracker, it only works through linking to a task. I have never been satisfied with Zoho support. Another thing people - there aren't many accounting partners to pick from. Ironic... and problematic.Zoho Books WAS priced so well that you couldn't beat it, however now they've hiked it up along side Everest.