Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Construction management

4 /5 (458 reviews) Write a Review!

4 /5
Kevin V.

A Proven Total Construction and Accounting Package

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

Very good experience with the product and dealing with support and the knowledgebase. I have been using this product now over 15 years. I have worked for 2 General Contractors during this time and this product has served us well.

Pros

I like the fact that Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate software (modules) is a total solution for a few different industries, mainly construction. We have all the modules from Job Costing to Payroll to Project Management, etc. We do everything in house. I also like the fact that it integrates with Aatrix for Government and State e-Filing and reporting. That is very nice that it pulls everything from Sage and makes the reporting process seamless and easy. There are many other products that integrate well including MyAssistant.

Cons

I wish the software was cloud-based which would make upgrading and future improvements much easier and attractive. A smaller investment of hardware and resources would be needed since the server would pretty much be eliminated. Updates would be automatic. Sage does have other products that are cloud-based but this one will not be going that route.

Amelia L.

Has great features once you learn how to use them

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

I like Sage. When I started at my company I had never used it before, now I am more advanced than the rest. For construction with a larger company it makes it easy to organize information. And I REALLY like how it connects with ODBC. I have created 100+ reports in the past 5 years and they make things so much easier.

Pros

I like how it organizes invoices, how you can customize SOME field name and how you can add customized fields. It connect with ODBC to excel or access with Microsoft query. This comes with the software. And you can make so many live reports that you can refresh with a button. Also the option of make crystal reports.

Cons

Everything is additional. Crystal reports you have to purchase a license, paperless, each module, etc. This can become frustrating, especially when you have 1 license for AP and try to open it and it says "Someone else is using this". Most people that haven't used it take a long time to understand it. There is a conference but it isn't ran by Sage.

Michael W.

Sage 300 CRE is an average database system

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

Overall, we have used Sage 300 CRE (Timberline) for 15 years. We stick with it because we have invested so much time and money into customizing it and forcing it to work like we want it to work. It is a good database, if you can figure out ways of extracting the data you want (i.e. Access, ODBC, etc.). In general, the software is old and not as dynamic as others on the market, but switching is too much of a painful process to make us jump ship. We will keep sailing (and bailing) with Sage 300 CRE, at least for now.

Pros

We integrate other estimating and purchasing software for our home building division and that works fairly well. As a database repository, it works well. It is easy to get information in the system and you have a lot of ability to customize and create fields.

Cons

The reporting tools in Sage 300 CRE are not good. Getting information out of the system has always been our challenge. We end up extracting the data via other tools and creating our own reports in other tools (i.e. excel). The financial statement and other report writing tools are not easy to work with, and frequently have issues that need to be corrected (or acknowledged... still not sure why Sage can not figure out how to round properly to make a balance sheet balance)...

Michelle O.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

User for 25+ years

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

Overall, my experience has been very positive. Other peers, and our external auditors, are amazed at how quickly a company our size can complete month-end and year-end procedures and how detailed we can get our reporting.

Pros

One of the best things about the software is that the core applications were designed together, unlike other software that tries to integrate applications from several sources. So, Job Cost, Payroll, AP, AR GL and CM flow together very well. Also, the software was originally designed specific to the construction industry so it really incorporates most of the financial needs of our industry.

Cons

We are running into issues in payroll due to the size of our current file. We are subject to job audits and we have many large projects so we like to keep several years' data in one file. However, Aatrix is not able to generate quarterly reports without archiving some payroll data.

Also, it's really nice to have the ability to post to future GL periods. It would be even nicer to be able to roll FORWARD for financial statement the way we can roll back.

Craig S.

Very Capable Software with Tremendous Support

Reviewed on 2015/12/01

Pros

By far the best thing about Sage 300 is the customer support. It is simply phenomenal. For whatever shortcomings the software has, it is made up in the ability to pick up the phone and directly contact Sage employees who speak our language, understand our concern, and our very knowledgeable of their product. You don't get the "run-around" when you call in. They are very willing to remote into your computer to explain and help with troubleshooting the problem or implementing the solution. They aren't perfect as some experiences have been disappointing, but many times as I conclude a customer support phone call I am reminded just how impressed and pleased I am with their service.

Cons

Many of the user interfaces are somewhat archaic and not the easiest to work with. That said, there seems to be a modernization process underway that will be addressing this in future versions. There are minor quirks/irregularities with the software, but that is to be expected since it has so many capabilities and tries to fill diverse needs.

Davin C.

Accurate and Reliable with Minor Drawbacks

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

The software does what you need it to do for daily accounting functions with minimal crashes or delays. However, the reporting function needs to be updated to a usable format so that it takes the end user less time to gain the information needed.

Pros

The software is very reliable and there are very few hiccups in day to day use.
It's also very handy to have features such as:
- Attaching documents/invoices to an AP or Journal Entry
- Recurring journal entries
- Project Coding

Cons

I find the interface layout to be a little archaic. It is not very modern in comparison to other accounting software.
A troublesome area is when making entries in the General Ledger module, the entries are not reflected in the AP, Bank, or AR modules. However, making entries in the AP, Bank, or AR modules are transferred correctly in the GL.
Lastly, the reports that are generated by Sage 300 can be put into Excel 97-2003 only. Furthermore, the reports are generated in a very complex manner with poor formatting and many merged cells. Trying to manipulate and sort data can take a long time.
It would be very helpful to be able to search/filter through Sage by the invoice/document number. The only option to do this is to either export the data to Excel, or search by vendor.

Kathy R.

Sage 300

Reviewed on 2021/03/17

I have always believed in the product. Enough that I worked as a consulting for 9 years.

Pros

I like the way that these modules cover most of the activities that I need. Reporting flexibility and program stability have always been good.

Cons

I would like to see scheduling features included, purchasing fully integrated, eventually cloud-based. I would like to be able to make g/l accounts inactive. I have been having problems with module licenses and .lck. It needs updating to compete with newer programs and contact with support almost always requires a 45 minute wait.

Raj C.

Sage 300 Review

Reviewed on 2017/02/01

Coming from Simply and QuickBooks this software take you way beyond their functionality. Highly recommend for any construction companies to take this software on as it really goes above and beyond allowing you to track multiple projects, invoice using different products. The app entry allows such variations including Manual Cheque, E-transfers, Credit Card (entry by a vendor) and regular cheque runs. As a company we want to streamline double payments and this system allows us to catch many duplicate submissions. I can't say enough of how happy I am that it integrates with Excel and if you don't want to invest in excel custom reports if your accountant uses ODBC at all they can extract the information easily.

Pros

AP system (easy of entry, avoid duplicates
Job Cost (track multiple projects, ensure they are invoiced, reports by vendor, by code)
Cash Management System(reconcile your statements so easily, transfers between companies are so simplified, make an entry on the fly)
GL (reports ...allow you to analyze your accounts)

Cons

Financial Reporting (out of the box reports are functional but not friendly to them eye comparable to simply/QuickBooks) but they do the job but would be nice to have better out of the box reports. That being said you can also order customer reports if that is what you are looking for.

Jeff A.

The software is relatively easy to use.

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

Reporting is relatively easy once you have done the set-up. Able to export to excel for outside users such as auditors is helpful.

Pros

Input is quick and easy. It has been around long enough that most bugs are sorted out unlike some software. Once you learn some of the tricks/shortcuts it is even easier.Updates are frequent and the help desk resolves issues quickly. Able to customize reports.

Cons

Like most software it takes some time to setup. Customizing to your business is a feature but then you need to learn to us crystal in order to make updates. Closing month in one module doesn't always update or close the others.

Darrin J.

Sage is a bit clunky but gets the job done

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Pros

The separate modules work very good. Certified Payrolls are easily done thru the payroll module. Payables and Receivables modules work nicely, with some help. Has a ton of reports available.

Cons

Although it has a lot of reports, they are hard to find the one you want/need. The separate modules seem like they came from separate companies sometimes and without an expert help or customer support, it would be really hard to get what you need out of them. I have had to pay for custom reports to be done to get what I need several times.

Jenna S.
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Outdated yet Effiient

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

Pros

Sage 300 has a lot of features and can do essentially everything we need from a job cost, accounting and project management standpoint.

Cons

I feel like the UI is clunky and outdated. We've had to partner with several companies to get more out of Sage because they aren't updating anything. I also dislike their customer service. I've been on a phone call with a rep and instead of walking me through a solution, I am sent a link to a solution, put on hold and expected to walk through it myself.

Gregory D.

Sage 300-Timberline

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

Our experience on both the construction and real estate sides has been very positive over the years.

Pros

The assistance of United Solutions through implementation back in 1996 and the ongoing support through the years has been invaluable. The software his highly customizable and can be used in its most simplistic form to most complex in terms of tables, rates, billings, etc.

Cons

No good print to Excel feature. No cloud based version yet.

Jesse A.

Sage 300 CRE Review

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

It's clunky, it's hard to pull info from in a timely manner, but it works well for our input controls and has our entire lifelines in it so we make it work!

Pros

Inputs are good. That is, the software seems tailored towards having good controls for the input of documentation so things don't get missed.

Cons

Reporting and pulling data - terrible. Inconsistency between inquiry/reporting, inability to customize reports as needed, all seems to go back to either a mess of how the databases are set up or the historical addition of apps that led to data shoehorned in with poor relationships.

Christal B.

Sage 300

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

Pros

I like how it offers printouts for every single thing you do on there and finding what I need for resident statements is simple after a while of using it.

Cons

I dislike how it's not easy to use all of its features. I use it for resident statements mostly, but it's still unclear on how to get everything on there correctly. It's easy to make mistakes on there and I wish there were a way to edit those mistakes before it's set in stone. Also, inputting some data doesn't automatically update everything else, you still have to do that by hand.

Lily V.

Mediocre construction software

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

This is not a program that is easy to learn or catch on. If you are not familiar with construction software, don't anticipate figuring out all out the right away.

Pros

The program has a lot of options and customization features. It is a great feature, but may be a little overwhelming at times.

Cons

The program is very complex and difficult at times. A lot of tasks are very tedious and things like creating a report require a lot of conditioning.

Teresa B.

SAGE 300 CRE - For Serious Job Costing and Estimating

Reviewed on 2016/10/03

We have had this product since it was called Timberline (1988). It has morphed some over the years, but continues to be a benchmark for Job Costing and Estimating software. The company is innovative and produces a robust suite of software modules that integrate seamlessly and produce business intelligence that is useful, accurate and complete.

Pros

The ability to produce meaningful reports with the data entered

Cons

Slightly challenging to learn all aspects of the modules.

Diane C.

Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate Review

Reviewed on 2020/02/20

This is a great Accounting software for Construction industries. We track all job costs, payroll, AP, AR and contracts with this product.

Pros

This is a great tool for a General Contractor, you can create different types of reports using Crystal reports.

Cons

Many of the data you enter you have to enter twice or more into different modules.
Sometimes you may wait a very long time for Customer Service.

Sue C.

works well for our construction company Project Manager works great for our engineers

Reviewed on 2018/04/24

Designed for construction companies. We have been using for 10 years

Pros

entering information is user friendly, being able to perform Payroll is house is essential for our employees. General Ledger provides different type of FS/BS.

Cons

report manager requires assistance with consultants. Not easy to change without assistance. Job Cost needs more report options for unit price projects and tracking costs.

James H.

Older software package with lots of features.

Reviewed on 2018/11/05

This used to be the best CRE on the market - but that was 15-20 years ago. Sage has so many different product offerings, there doesn't appear to be much focus or investment in this industry. Time for a do-over.

Pros

Covers most of the operations you'd expect in running a complex construction process as a contactor - HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc. Integrated finance module. Strong user groups.

Cons

Old, clunky interface. UI fresh not convincing. Very poor mobile module functionality. Somewhat of a closed universe - doesn't play well with other software systems, even some from Sage.

Seth G.

It does what it is supposed to

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

Pros

- Customer support is helpful
- Large community to help trouble shoot
- Service Management is an excellent application for scheduling and tracking scheduled monthly or annual service.

Cons

- It takes forever to reach an actual person in customer support
- Some of the modules feel clunky and the built in reports are very limited. Editing a report is not intuitive.

Bruce C.

Sage Accounting Software

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

I am able to perform all phases of accounting and generate real time reports for the owner.

Pros

I have been working with the software for over 25 years and the fact that everything is integrated helps to run a drywall company much easier.

Cons

Performing the annual updates to both the server and each desktop has always been a challenge.

Jane S.

Mostly positive

Reviewed on 2017/05/04

Pros

I believe the software is easy to use and teach to someone. For the most part we receive updates on a timely basis.

Cons

Sometimes we don't receive State information on a timely basis. Also it would be very helpful if Sage would send all customers an email when issues come up like the Pervasive license expiration issue, so we are all aware of problems like that.

Kathleen H.

Long time user since inception as Timberline

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

Pros

How every facet of a business is all integrated, from Job costing, payroll, accounts payable/receivable and general ledger

Cons

Had the estimating program for awhile. Found it a little cumbersome for a small business as we don't have the personnel to keep the data base up to date on a regular basis. Nice how it integrates with Job Costing however.

Sage 300CRE Review

Reviewed on 2018/09/18

We use Sage for our accounting software.

Pros

The Price! It is still license based an relatively inexpensive compared to others.

Cons

The interface isn't user-friendly. The Company hasn't invested in updating the accounting side of the software. They have invested too much into the project management side and ignored the bones of the software.

George L.

Liles Construction Review of Sage 300

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

Sage 300 aka Timberline is a very robust construction accounting software that can be configured to accommodate almost any type of construction related business. By utilizing 3rd party interfaces we are able glean critical cost management data from Sage that is used to create in-depth cost forecast and profitability reports.

Pros

Very robust . Can be configured to accommodate, pretty much, any type of construction accounting scenario .

Cons

Interface is dated. Very little change to interactive features or appearance in over 20 years.
Requires extensive and in depth knowledge to initially configure and considerable user training to effectively operate and maintain.