Tallie

Mobile and online expense management for smaller businesses.

4,2
Claudia R.

Useful for recordkeeping as well

Reviewed on 2017/11/03

Pros

We've tried other expense reporting systems and what Tallie does that we've had difficulty finding elsewhere is its ability to be used to capture receipts. The app and website are both intuitive. The expense reports are easy to read. We love that it connects to Bill.com, which we use to reimburse our clients' employees! However, some clients also use it to store receipts for everything they buy with their credit cards. The receipts are automatically matched with each downloaded transaction. Their QuickBooks integration is great because unlike some other systems, they import each transaction individually with vendor, account, and class data. This makes reconciling credit cards at the end of the month quite easy.

Cons

The only thing about Tallie that could still use some work is their OCR. We've found that it's about 80% accurate in matching receipts to downloaded transactions. Every month we do have to go in for a little cleanup to remove duplicates and merge transactions. Duplicates are pretty easy to find, so it's not too troublesome.

Michael S.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

The potential to be one of the best software solutions I've ever used or implemented

Reviewed on 2020/06/15

Overall, the product has improved over the past year and has the potential to be one of the best software solutions I've ever used or implemented. When everything is working, the software is awesome and really supports a fast, electronic, seamless expense reporting process for Quickbooks. For the price, there are no other solutions anywhere near this level of functionality. Just set expectations accordingly for CC sync, pay for the premium support, and you'll have a solution that you'll absolutely depend on for smooth, paperless expense reimbursements.

Pros

This software is very intuitive and easy to use. The best features are the integration with personal credit cards, and the direct integration with QuickBooks. When you combine Tallie, QB, and Bill.com, you can have a 100% paperless expense reimbursement process.

Cons

I gave a couple of 4/5 scores, so these are not things I don't like, just challenges. First of all, on Quality, the platform seems fairly young and there were several issues that delayed processing reports initially. They are good about addressing and fixing the issues, but that brings up my next 4/5, which is support. Regular support takes 2-4 days for a response and resolution, which seems like an eternity when trying to reimburse expenses. If you want great support, you have to pay for the premium support. It's worth it, as they reply within hours to issues. The only other issue, which is somewhat beyond their control, is the credit card sync. It often doesn't work or is very slow. In talking to support many times, they are at the mercy of 3rd party solutions, but they also only display a few "default" CC sync options, and once you get them on the phone, they can open up multiple CC Sync options for you. Some of these work better than others, but be prepared for it to stop syncing periodically. It doesn't keep you from submitting reports, but is a bit of a pain when trying to reconcile with your CC statement.

Bret H.
Industry: Broadcast Media

Slow Customer Support - Won't Fix Bugs

Reviewed on 2020/05/06

Pros

Tallie is excellent at handling expense and credit card reports between end users, Quickbooks, and Bill.com. It works well most of the time. It does a really good job and is easy to use.

Cons

I have become increasingly frustrated with the development team and support team at Tallie. It's absolutely horrible. There are bugs which have plagued us for years, and they won't fix them. I've pointed them out and gone through proper channels of reporting. They just don't seem to care. Some of these are minor graphical bugs that confuse my users. But it doesn't matter, they don't improve their software. As a result of other bugs they refuse to fix, I have to regularly contact them to do "back end syncs" to fix glitches. But their customer support has become absolutely horrible. So, just to get them to click the button on their end to do the "back end sync" I have to wait at least 24 hours. And if I have a support issue that requires back and forth, they take at least 24 hours for each reply - so be prepared for 3-4 days to get something simple resolved. I suspect that because they refuse to put time into development and fixes, their support staff is overburdened dealing with lingering bugs. When we onboarded them a few years ago their support was great - but at this point I can no longer recommend them.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Industry: Mental Health Care

Good for Large Businesses

Reviewed on 2018/11/06

Great experience

Pros

Tallie is flexible enough to be molded to fit the needs of our non profit contract bill for services model.

Cons

The phone app sometimes doesn't transmit photos for receipts very well, and you need to get onto a desktop to verify uploads.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Tommy-lee S.
Industry: Religious Institutions

A Great Way to Submit Receipts!

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/06/09

It has reduced the amount of time I spend on my expense reports each month. It has also saved paper costs, since I no longer have to make copies of my receipts. I can even upload PDFs of my receipts from online orders instead of having to print them out and take a photo. Although I was leery of using an app for my expense reports at first, Tallie definitely won me over.

Pros

When I submit my receipts each month, instead of having to fill out a form and make copies of my receipts, I can use my phone to take pictures of them and upload them into Tallie. From there, I can assign each to a line item, describe the expense, and then submit my expense report.

Cons

It does not always show the receipt I uploaded right away on the website. Usually it says, "receipt uploaded" and then I have to click out of that screen and then return to it to see that receipt. This isn't a huge problem, since I usually have the receipt or the receipt image right in front of me. I find it difficult to use the mobile version just because it's harder to submit receipts via app due to the size of the screen. Sometimes the site takes a little extra time to load. All these are minor issues.

Industry: E-Learning

Easy Expense Software

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Pros

This software is VERY easy to use. You can take a photo of the receipts with your phone and upload them to the app or via email so you don't have to worry about loosing receipts. You can also link a card which is great if you have a card you JUST use for business (like I do). The milage is also great, although it is MUCH better on the app then on the web portal.

Cons

The Tallie mobile application can sometimes freeze, which forces me to use the web portal. This is not ideal when traveling. It is also MUCH easier to move expenses around on the web portal via drag and drop than it is on the app.

Jeremy S.
Industry: Computer Software

Travel for work is so much easier now

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/02/06

We needed to get expenses submitted near time to the engagement to bill quickly. Reimbursement during the peak travel times also means the money is in the employee hands by the time the credit card bill comes

Pros

Scanning my receipts while I'm traveling means I don't have to hang on to them until I can get back to the office. And I can submit my expense reports near time instead of at the end of the peak travel season.

Cons

Forwarding a receipt from email to system sometimes ends up with an extra receipt of the basic email instead of just the pdf attached. Usually have to access the web version to correct that, but not always. So most can be done with the phone app.

Industry: Accounting

Easy to use as an employee

Reviewed on 2018/07/05

Pros

As an employee, it is a great centralized way to submit all of my expenses and have them approved. It so much better than submitting hard copies of all my receipts. Also, the mobile version (and the picture taking capability) is very convenient.

Cons

These could just be policy settings, but all of the time, I get notifications that say the expense reimbursement is "out of policy" but that is not really the case. Also, certain expense categories or other settings are occasionally hidden for some unknown reason. Outside of these bugs, the software works great.

John W.
Industry: Biotechnology

Expense Reporting

Reviewed on 2020/01/20

Managing mine and my team's expenses is a pain but this software limits that pain to a manageable amount by being simple and efficient.

Pros

I have used several different expense reporting software platforms over the past few decades and this is by far the best one I have experienced. I travel a lot so end up with pocket full of receipts both for cash expenses and for the company credit card.....the simplicity with which you can enter receipts or calculate mileage for example makes the month-end chore of expense reporting very easy. I can recommend it...it is the least stressful and complicated software I have used.

Cons

nothing in particular strikes me as bad about this.....

Brian D.
Industry: Accounting

I prefer Nexonia but they're essentially the same

Reviewed on 2017/10/30

I decided to go with Nexonia rather than Tallie so I just used the trial version.

Pros

I like having expense report portals that keep everything together. Makes me wonder how we ever used excel for these. It's much easier for all users to keep it in one place and get the correct approvers on it.

Cheryl W.

Selected Tallie as our firm's T&E reporting tool of choice based on overall ease of use and value.

Reviewed on 2017/11/07

Pros

Mobile app functionality for uploading receipts on the fly is effective. Liked the automatic bundling of expenses into an open expense report for non-reimbursables (corporate credit card) vs. reimbursables. Basic user setup was intuitive and easily accomplished.

Cons

Inability to process reimbursements within the Tallie app, have to integrate with a payment processing application or direct to accounting software for payment. Until recently, Tallie did not have an assistant feature for C-suite executives.

Tim M.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Integration with Amex issues

Reviewed on 2018/12/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

We used this as an expense management for 100 sales employees. Reimbursement was via check and also receipt submission for Amex cards.

Cons

The Amex portion was linking to multiple people and it did not make sense. It took us 6 months to fixture out there was not enough detail exposed to tallie with respect to the card number (we were only showing last 4 and Amex needs the last 7 or 8 digits to prevent duplicate numbers being shown) tallie support was of no help to us and we ended up abandoning the software because our accounting team did not want to take ownership in getting this to work properly.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Kurt F.
Industry: Retail

Terrible software - ADMINs & Startups - avoid like the plague

Reviewed on 2018/12/14

The worst. I think this is the first accounting-related app which I will actually discontinue a subscription for reasons other than upgrading our systems (for example QBO---> Netsuite), or exceeding volume / use case.
Expensify does not come with intuitive user groups, but at least Expensify actually WORKS as intended. Sync, export, etc. Save yourself major problems. Just pass on Tallie.

Pros

They used to have live chat until recently, when they went email-only. So I used to like livechat, but now that is gone, so…
Oh wait now I know one - they do have some very nice enterprise features for user groups and permissions

Cons

Too many to list.
1- Constant failures in syncronization - a cardinal sin. Get used to sync taking a FULL day for a normal sync with your accounting software. In comparison, Bill.com takes about 1 minute to sync with our accounting software. QBO, Xero, etc. Doesn't matter. You will have more fun watching paint dry.
2 -Broken Accounting Integration, particularly with Xero. So you finally were able to sync. Congratulations! now say hello to constant unexplained problems in export such as " Xero API call not recognized" or "There was a problem exporting your report. Please fix the errors and try again. : The provided Xero API credentials are invalid" (even though the app properly logged into Xero).
3 -Horrible app, lacks basic functionalities
4 -Bad customer service. After acknowledging problems with their product, zero effort to make correction or compensate end user for their wasted time.
5 -No image recognition
6- No chat for customer service
7 -Read 1 and 2 above.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Carlos B.
Industry: Mental Health Care

I use Tallie in my current position to track expenses such as reimbursements and mileage.

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

Tallie makes entering receipts and mileage reimbursements onto any device easy!

Pros

I like how you are able to easily upload documents such as photos of reciepts, and the system auto-fills some information. This saves time and is easy to do from any device! The interface of this website is very easy to use.

Cons

My only complaint about Tallie is that you have to manually turn on "billable,"--at my organization all of the expenses we enter are billable.

Amy P.
Industry: Accounting

Grasping for that balance between easy-to-use and having lots of features

Reviewed on 2018/02/06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Tallie is a pretty good piece of software. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone because of the learning curve for getting comfortable with the software, and I think there are some simpler out-of-the-box solutions out there, but Tallie really can do a lot, and we definitely have rolled it out to some of our clients with great success.

Pros

It's relatively flexible in terms of how it lets you set up your expense tracking. There are lots of options for how to set up approvals, how to fine-tune employee access, etc. It also has a nice sync with Bill.com and QuickBooks Online, which is its most useful feature. Once you get over the learning curve, it actually has some really nice advanced features, like being able to "masquerade" as different users, setting employees up as "executive assistants" to be able to help the less tech-savvy employees complete their reports correctly, and somewhat complex approval workflows.

Cons

The online support isn't amazing. I've found out better information from reading forums than from reading Tallie's support page. They do have helpful email support, which is nice, but I just wish there were better resources so I could help myself with little setup issues more easily. It's also way more expensive than other expense management software, and cost-prohibitive to use with some of our smaller clients. I also wish you could set expense reports to auto-submit at the end of the month, but you can only set that up for expenses coded to a corporate credit card.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Meredith S.
Industry: Accounting

Awesome app for expense tracking

Reviewed on 2018/03/01
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We provide client accounting services to small businesses. We researched and tested a number of expense tracking apps before we started recommending Tallie to our Clients

Pros

Easy end user interface on web and smart phone. Relatively easy to set up compared to other apps. Good integration with Bill.Com, QuickBooks etc

Cons

Cost is mitigated by time savings over more manual processes but is a barrier for some organizations. Integration with QuickBooks vendor list.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Tallie

Reviewed on 2019/02/08

Pros

Tallie provides a very straight-forward and user friendly system in which employees can easily upload expense reports and track purchases simply by snapping a photo of their receipt.

Cons

Sometimes the system can be very slow to upload receipts.

Cheryl J.
Industry: Management Consulting

Tallie for expense reporting

Reviewed on 2018/01/11
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Good, dependable tool, easy to learn.

Pros

Easy to send receipts. I just photo and email after each purchase. Easy to create reports. It helps to be able to create a specific title so you don't confuse expense reports.

Cons

Doesn't default to last choice or frequent choice, so takes a little more work to select from options.

Eddie V.

I love this website, i use this on the daily basis!

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

Pros

It's easy and fast to use and its simple!

Cons

Sometimes it lags and it doesnt have the right address also doesnt load fast!

Demario P.

This is so great i love using this system very fast and great quality. I also love how teh depositis

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

Pros

superfast and can download it on your phone. Take it anywhere you can go. Also customer service is right there if you need help.

Cons

I would say that when you take a picture of something on the mobile phone sometimes it will not show up acuartly.

Karen B.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Tallie Saves Time on Receipt Tracking

Reviewed on 2017/12/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like that it's an easy and simple way to get my team to track receipts. It certainly helps us maintain backup for all our expenses.

Cons

There are many features in Tallie that are unnecessary and that we never seem to use. We don't need to track mileage with the app. The contractors that we do reimburse for mileage are not tech-savvy enough to use the app, so we stick with our existing systems.

Industry: Wireless

Simplify the life of your finance team and your employees with an expense app!

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/05/04

Pros

Coming from having previously used an excel file to file our expenses, this tool has drastically improved the expense experience of our employees. As someone who travels for work a considerable amount, this is massive time save and you can also input receipts as you go. I prefer filling expenses through the desktop and it allows for import and both emailing of receipts to the platform. But the mobile option works very well also.

Cons

The receipt import isn't always perfect in importing accurate information, but any incorrect information can easily be edited.

Kelsie K.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Tallie Rocks

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/02/20

This is a great product to manage expenses of your employees. It also communicates with other accounting system like Intacct.

Pros

1. Easy to use
2. Can approve via mobile phone
3. Tells you the status
4. Can remind your approval to approve the expenses
5. Can load up any image of the receipts

Cons

None. It is so easy to use. Self explanatory software

Melinda S.

Great expense reporting

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/10/05
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Easy for all. The app makes it simple to track travel expenses and keeps the receipts and mileage for easy reporting.

Cons

Can be a little pricey for small business owners. Set-up can be difficult and time consuming for unknowing users.

Shannon M.

Expense Mgmt with Class and Job

Reviewed on 2016/12/09

I use Tallie personally and have multiple clients using it. At the time, it was the only expense management tool that offered QuickBooks integration and could use both class and job. My only complaint is requiring clients to pay for setup. Most other apps allow the clients to set up on their own and/or offer free support. Purchasing also requires an invoice vs online immediate purchase.

Pros

Class and Job with QB integration.

Cons

Setup fee.