1 226 reviews

Emburse Certify Expense

Travel and expense report management software

1 226 reviews
Randy P.

Could be good, but isnt

Reviewed on 2017/03/16

Im going to make this kind of short....

I was lied to in the sales process, implementation dropped the ball continually. They have zero followup when you have an issue. My implementation coach and even the implementation manager I had to speak with never followed up with me. Oh did I mention they have an implementation fee they bring up just before you sign with them? Its not cheap. But they'll "discount" it.

Due to being lied to during sales, I had to figure out how Certify worked instead of it just working for me. I had to re-enter my credit cards 3 times, and I had 15 credit cards. I had to call the bank to get individual logins for all my credit cards. I have 25 very unhappy users and one irate admin (me).

The import into quickbooks did not go as promised as well. Due to all of this I now feel as if I know more about Certify than my salesman did when he sold me this crap.

The app for the phone is pretty good, Android better than IOS I think. The Web application though is horrible, just horrible. The Layout is bad, you have to confirm simple things, but you can delete an expense with no more scrutiny. They have no way for you to recover deleted expenses. The have a Wallet and a Report, you cannot edit most fields in the wallet, you have to move expenses into a "draft report" then move them back into your wallet! Its about a 10 click process just to change the amount of a receipt or change a category- very important things, heres the procedure lol.

1) Check expense(s) in wallet
2) Click Add to report,
3) Chose whether you want a new or existing report.
4) Confirm that you want to do that.
5) Wait for the expenses to load(which can take a while if you have a lot)
6) click edit
7) Edit the expense, click save (I'll give them this one)
8) Click the icon to open a menu
9) Click Send to wallet.

So 9 steps. There is an alternate way but you get to chose from a little window and you cant select multiple.

So why do I have to leave the wallet to edit an expense?

Oh and if you have a lot of receipts they remove the "merge" option. This matches your receipts with your CC charges automatically! But you cant have more than 100 or 150 lines of charges/expenses, they cant decide on which number, but its between there. So why would you make my life harder if I have MORE expenses?

I hope this saves you from some hassle, expenses are tricky, this is my second go around wasting dozens of hours.

Pros

App is good to use

Cons

They dont know their system entirely. they will sell you something just to sell you.
Their salesmen dont know the ins and outs.

Louis C.

Ceritify app and control software specifically targets and organizes our teams travel log and...

Reviewed on 2018/12/27

Our team experienced an immediate affinity for Certify as an application which we are using along side our current CRM
in order to organize , track , and to monitor travel compliant policy alterations for our yearly , very busy travel schedule.
Certify as such has become a concrete asset as we save on needless and potentially expensive travel costs.

Pros

We found that Certify readily integrates inside of our current Control Management Software quite efficiently and easily.
Certify's own management team help sire us through this process which ultimately reduced our dependency on IT
support which can be costly. Certify offers easy to use tools that allow our employees and resource allocation
to create fine tuned reports designed to address monetary waste as well to increase cost efficiency. As advised by Certify's team,
we are paying particular attention to travel mileage as well as incurred airfare. AP report generation is also available for our
accounting in order to focus on reimbursable costs for each department or by employee.

Cons

We did notice occasional operational instability in the form of minor bugs with this program as well as the necessary synchronization
that must be initialized by each employee per server , however overall these inconveniences were mitigated through
intervention from Certify's capable client service department. They suggested quite effective work around solutions
to keep our report flow steady and current.

Emmanuel A.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Great Software When You Implement it Correctly

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

When I worked for a company that already had the software up and running and had time to work out the implementation bugs, it worked great. If you can try to include yourself in any focus groups or test cases during testing, so you can make sure that your regular expenses will be able to be entered.

Pros

As far as travel and expense software go, Certify is very easy to use. The first time onscreen prompts help you figure out how to enter expenses for reimbursements. I've used other mobile expense software, and I would have to say that Certify has the friendliest interface, and it is difficult to get wrong. The menus and layout make it easy to find current submissions, past reimbursements, and to update your profile.

Cons

I have worked at a company where we switched from one T&E software to Certify, and the experience was terrible. While the interface was great, there were too many steps required in order to enter an expenses. I would also have trouble when I tried to split an expense for a single charge, and had to contact my accounting department as well as Certify Support. It was determined that certain steps were overlooked when the initial implementation of the software was done, so it took an extra 2-weeks, before I could correct my error. Unfortunately for me, this pushed me into the window where the Credit Card I used got charged the interest for that month. I was of course paid back, but it was a hassle none the less.

Easy to use expense tracking software with a large feature set.

Reviewed on 2018/07/25

Ability to keep track of expenses and get manager approval much easier for projects.

Pros

I like the ability to track expenses and submit them to your manager for approval. This keeps a record and avoid discrepancies in the future. Ability to have a mobile app is great as well.

Cons

The software layout can be improved, especially on mobile. The interface is hard to learn and required some training for our user base.

Laurel B.

Is a valuable T&E tool!

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

The digital processing of T&E reports is by far more efficient than having employees submitting them on paper through snail mail.

Pros

Ease of use for employees to track and submit expenses. The ability to track their expenses on their mobile devices.

Cons

the delay/processing time for employees who have a large number of items to process in one report is a huge time eater. And, moving between items they feel is cumbersome.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great value for a piece of software that's unobtrusive but effective. We use it daily and love...

Reviewed on 2018/04/08

Pros

It has really made tracking expenses and travel costs a breeze to track, leading to more efficiency and accuracy within our reporting. All of our outside customer sales reps use it daily.

Cons

Scaling to a larger business can seem complicated through the web app in the very beginning but they have a great service team that can answer all your questions. Also things like expense reporting and creating spreadsheets can sometimes take a few moments to load entirely but that's normally due to network issues and rarely has to do with the app.

• Industry: Hospitality

Great expense reporting portal for any size company

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

I’ve had a wonderful experience with certify and highly recommend it. Two thumbs up, from me!

Pros

The Certify system is extremely organized and easy to use. I enjoy that you can upload pictures of receipts from your cell, organize expenses throughout the expense period and it maps your mileage for you, even as one way or round trip so you don’t have to write your mileage down. Once you use it 3-4 times, it’s very simple and the phone app works as well as the desktop site.

Cons

The first few times using it, it was a bit confusing. However, this was years ago and it’s gotten smarter with time and easier to learn. I’ve helped others get started and I’ve seen first hand that they continue to improve the processes.

Donell S.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

5 Start Customer Service

Reviewed on 2016/12/16

Certify is the only T&E management application that I've used but I can say that their customer service is absolutely amazing. The ease of use is great and they really care about what their customers want and listen to critiques and then make changes to fit their customer concerns.

Pros

The functionality of the workflow and expense management seems to work well with the needs of our company.

Cons

I wish the reporting could be more customizable.

Alex S.

Excellent value for money

Reviewed on 2019/05/10

Timely reporting of expense reports, visibility of all expenses, easy to track & review. Historical data available and can review previous information very easily

Pros

Easy to use and the step by step implmentation process was well supported. Good training materials and support after implementation is available. Many good reports are also available.

Did not have any issues with implementing the new expense report process and approval process within the system works well

Cons

Does not handle the GST specific to Canada very well. However we were able to customize a field to capture the information on a report that can be exported to excel to suit our needs.
Does not readily integrate into Sage to simplify data entry.

Todd M.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Game Changer for expense reporting

Reviewed on 2016/12/16

I'm a 25-year sales professional and have experienced several expense reporting processes. The Certify software saves me approximately 90 minutes per week versus the most recent previous process we were provided. I no longer have to make copies of each and every receipt, I do not have to put a print-out and receipts into an envelope, apply postage, and go to the post office.
Our finance department switched us to Certify approx. 18 months ago and I am still thanking them. My one concern was being able to easily reconcile my credit card statement. I've found that it is quite simple to look back at archived expense reports on my iPhone to do this.

• Industry: Architecture & Planning

Review from the Administrator side

Reviewed on 2018/12/14

Overall I would say it has been a good experience.

Pros

It is pretty user friendly for our travelers. The website is easy to use.

Cons

The presentation of data could be better. In terms of looking up by employee and expenses by time period. I know our sales people have some difficulties in changing dates on expenses.

• Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Great for expense management

Reviewed on 2015/10/21

We use the software to submit mileage/personal expense and corporate card expense reports. We were previously with another well known company with a similar product, but made the choice to move to Certify. We process just under 1,000 reports per month. The app is easy to use, the website is easy to use. There are some small things I would change if I could, but nothing that makes me regret our decision to go with Certify. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for this type of expense management tool.

Pros

Really easy to use, GREAT support, excellent service.

Cons

Can't attach more than one receipt to an item - sometimes necessary for online purchases.
Can't attach a statement to the report - it has to be attached to an expense so you have to create an additional zero dollar expense if you want to attach your card statement.
If you enter your expense information before you attach a receipt, when you attach the receipt it wipes out the information you entered and you have to start again.
Company admin doesn't have the ability to map the card to individual user's accounts, individuals have to. It would be great if we could do this for the users.

Sloan F.
  • Industry: Research
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Know before you buy - DOES NOT INTEGRATE WITH SMALL BUSINESS CREDIT CARDS

Reviewed on 2019/01/24

After several phone calls with the Certify sales team, I was assured that the corporate credit card sync would work for our business. I stated several times that the credit card sync was THE critical factor in our evaluation of expense tracking software, and explained the structure of of our credit card login with authorized users. I was never given any indication throughout the sales process that there was even a possibility that the credit card data couldn't be pulled in, and proceeded with our contract an implementation accordingly.

I dedicated many hours to the implementation process, including introducing our entire team to the website and mobile app. It was not until over a month into the process that our implementation specialist indicated that the credit card aggregator was unable to separate the charges according to authorized user....and that this was a KNOWN ISSUE for credit cards of our type. I spent an additional 4 weeks attempting to help them trouble-shoot the known issue. But the bottom line is that their service does not support small business credit card feeds, has never been able to do so, and they have no plan in place to attempt to do so.

Bottom line: Certify will tell you whatever you want to hear until they take your money. But they do not standby those promises, and you should not trust that their sales people have any idea what the software can actually do or not do. Beware.

Pros

This seemed like an effective and easy to use expense tracking software.

Cons

The sales contact repeatedly assured us that Certify would bring in credit card transactions from our company credit card (Capital One Spark for Small Business). We were explicit that this was the primary driver in our decision, and that importing company credit card transactions was our primary goal. As soon as we paid the implementation fee and were assigned to an implementation specialist, they immediately explained that Certify does not work with Capital One cards, and also does not work with any of these: Chase Ink, American Express @ Work, Simmons Bank, PNC Bank, Bank of America Visa Executive Commercial Card, US Bank. If you use those cards, DO NOT TRY TO USE CERTIFY. They wasted 2 months of my time, and REFUSED TO REFUND the implementation cost, despite the fact that they sold me software they KNEW would not work.

Alyce M.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Clean, Clear, User Friendly!

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

Pros

I love the look of it. It is immediately inviting, and doesn't appear overwhelming. The options are user friendly, and everything is fairly straight-forward. I like that I was able to complete most everything on my own without assistance - that's how simple the software is! The last program I used was not very easy to use, especially when it came to adding or attaching receipts. Certify does a great job of smoothing out all the wrinkles of complication, and making it an easy and even enjoyable experience to fill out an expense report.

Cons

So far, I haven't found anything that has created any kind of stumbling block. Every field is so easy to navigate and understand, and is really set up with a good flow that is simple to follow. No complaints here!

Andrea W.

We love Certify! Super easy to use and very user friendly!

Reviewed on 2018/04/27

Easy to use. Every one I have spoken to on the phone was also extremely helpful and very responsive. All the handouts and tutorials were very easy to understand and left no questions regarding Certify. The webinars were also helpful. Adding users is super easy as well.

Pros

Teaching employees how to use both the app and the computer version was super easy. This is almost a fool proof app. We only really use this for travel and expense reports.

Cons

It was hard to set up with the system that we use to process expense reports (Sage software). I had to call Sage on the phone and have them customize a report so we could use the product.

Natalie C.
  • Industry: Wholesale
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Keeping track of expenses has never been easier

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

Any time you can go paperless, I'm all for it. Certify makes it so I don't have to carry around a bunch of little receipts, or worry that I lost one - I can just take a photo, upload to my wallet, and toss them. Combine that with other streamlined processes like automatically figuring mileage, and submitting a report with one click, saves everyone time and money. There are so many details to keep track of when travelling, simplifying expense reporting makes a big difference in my job satisfaction.

Pros

Having a program that I can use with my computer, or phone, is imperative when travelling. Certify makes it easy to upload my receipts using several methods, depending on my needs at the time. Notifications are automatic, which lets me get on to other parts of my job without having to worry about following up on my expense submissions.

Cons

It took a little while to get used to using it, but I think that is a factor when learning to use any robust platform. One thing I would really like is the option for a person in accounting to pre-check the report before final submission, since it's problematic to get it "re-approved" if something has to be changed.

Christopher P.
  • Industry: Banking

Great Service and Great Company

Reviewed on 2016/12/16

We have been with certify for 5+ years now and seen the growth which has helped us grow. Processing the reports used to take us hours which now takes minutes or less. Manager reports have saved us time and money. Easy to use from start to finish.

Pros

They encompass it all.

Cons

Always room for more features and growth.

• Industry: Printing

This is one of the easiest ways to track my expenses it's very intuitive

Reviewed on 2018/06/08

Pros

Ease of use I use the app for 90% of my certify time it's great. Only go to PC when I submit end of mont report

Cons

Doesn't always match up correct with receipts Would be nice to create a report on the app. For when I am on the road

Audrey M.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Cerify

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

Pros

Easy to use, photos of receipts upload easily

Cons

nothing really..

Lasandra H.
  • Industry: Accounting

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

We are solving travel and mileage reimbursements for our staff all in one platform.

Pros

The GPS feature to link mileage is phenomenal.

Cons

The ability to add multiple entries for the same day in one transaction.

Alma A.

Easy go use

Reviewed on 2018/06/08

Pros

I like the tracking part. You can save it as a draft and continue adding items. And also it shows you how much your getting and your entering new days. Once you get familiar with the app it is very easy to use.

Cons

It would be a good idea to have a Definition list. I use it this app daily and it would be helpful if I know if I should use commute versus non commute.

Nicholas T.

helps with some aspects of expense management

Reviewed on 2020/06/16

Pros

Helps less organized employees audit and track expenses - integrates with our cc statements and sleek looking site

Cons

takes long to integrate. Menus and dropdowns are repetitive, time-consuming and many aren't customizable. Uploading receipts could be time consuming.

Paul P.

I love this app. No need to save receipts anymore.

Reviewed on 2017/10/31

I do not like carrying around receipts

Pros

Ease of use. I love the ability to pick up my phone and use it to snap a photo of my printed or emailed receipt. You can even Email a receipt directly to your on line account and sync it directly to your account.

Cons

Hard to rectify on iPhone. If this app was a bit more user friendly at the end of the month that would help

Kim C.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Owner

Reviewed on 2020/10/30

Pros

Being able to go back to my receipts and how I can set my categories etc

Cons

The ease of finding something in the system

Joann B.

Certify software

Reviewed on 2019/01/28

Pros

It is very easy to use! When I need to make a change it’s user friendly.

Cons

I haven’t found anything I dislike about the software.