Recurly Reviews

Recurly

Powering Subscription Success

4.4/5 (24 reviews)

Not great, but the best reoccurring billing platform.

Reviewed on 2018/04/29

Pros

- Most advanced tool in the space.
- Ability to customize checkouts with reculry.js
- lots of flexibility in ways to use the platform

Cons

- Wish the exported reports were betting (can't see how many days left in an ending subscrtiption in export -- so can't follow up with them. Can only see number of remaining occurences but if you offer monthly and annual for example you have to custom segment that information)
- Wish the analytics were better (better insight into plan peformance, churn by plan etc.)
- Better email targeting (currently not able to target endings trials unless the plan has a trial, not if they use a trial coupon -- lots of small issues like this across the platform.)
- The emails sent from recurly servers end up in spam often for our customers.

Solid billing platform that gets easier as you use it

Reviewed on 2018/06/04
Review Source

Pros

It gives you most of the info you need in regards to the payment for 95% of cases I've been working with. Once you get used to the UI, it's actually quite easy to navigate around and quickly grab billing info you need to troubleshoot any problems. Support is professional and helpful.

Cons

If you don't have any colleagues using it already, it may take a little longer to get used to since not all of the elements are intuitive. Support sometimes takes a moment to reply and is not necessarily available 24/7.

Michael R.

Saves time and makes you money

Reviewed on 2017/02/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I recommend Recurly every chance I get. This product is awesome for managing recurring payments. If you have any type of recurring payments that have kept you busy running credit cards every month, you need to consider this software. Its features make taking monthly or annual fees a snap. Customers can get notifications prior to the charge. They also have options to make it convenient for the customer to opt out or cancel memberships, which can save you, even more, time. The cost is great, too - far less in the long run than paying an employee to manage recurring charges. Use Recurly and you can free up time to invest in your business and make more money.

Pros

Easy to use.
Cost effective.
Time-saver

I would fully recommend

Reviewed on 2019/02/27
Review Source

Pros

First of all- support. I really like how helpful the guys are, would be lost without them. I don't have a comparison to other programs, but I feel that Recurly covers all (or at least most) of our needs. I really like the design and user-friendly interface.

Cons

I wish there would be more customization in terms of reporting. Also, I feel like it is not very intuitive. I'm missing some tooltips that would guide me through the software which such business impact. Alright, there is Help section and FAQ, but it takes a while to find required information.

Must have for SaaS billing

Reviewed on 2018/03/24

Pros

The ability to set recurring billing on automation is a must have for any SaaS platform. Recurly makes it very simple to get going. Not to mention they provide all the tools needed to apply coupons, promos, refunds, dunning and more.

Cons

The price can feel brutal. Since you pay not only for the software but for a percentage of your MRR, that means it can quickly grow as you grow.

Lorin Q.

What use to take our company hours, now takes minutes.

Reviewed on 2018/02/07

Pros

The program has completely transformed our billing department. The interface is pretty user friendly, but I would say the biggest pro is their support team. The chat box is always available and they answer your questions within seconds.

Cons

The learning curve of how exactly the program works and predesigned, was a little difficult to overcome. There are too many automatic emails sent out, so you really need to know how to navigate & turn them off (or know that they're even being sent out in the first place).

Saves us tons of developer time

Reviewed on 2018/06/24
Review Source

Pros

Recurly is really easy and functional. If you need to bill customers every month and don't want to build it yourself, recurly fits the bill

Cons

They take a large cut of billings that we run through the platform. We are looking to transition away as a result.

Eric E.

Easy-To-Use Interface, Lacks Some Seemingly Intuitive Features

Reviewed on 2016/07/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The product was easy to navigate and had a very short learning curve.

Cons

The software was missing some functionalities that I would think would be standard with a billing and payment oriented software. The billing periods/cycles were not easily customizable. Ensuring that a recurring billing subscription did not renew also seemed to be more difficult than it should be.

Great Billing Management System

Reviewed on 2018/06/11

Subscription Management

Pros

The functionality and the support are amazing. Recurly is a tool we use almost daily to manage subscriptions and I couldn't ask for a better tool.

Cons

Coupons! Coupons are an absolute pain to add-in, especially if the subscription expired with a coupon already attached.

Great UI and simple to use

Reviewed on 2017/12/07
Review Source

Pros

The UI is amazing. I use products like Stripe as well and I find the experience much simple and customizable.

Cons

The reports and analysis section can be a lot more customizable. We find it a bit difficult to collect the exact data we require for our month end analysis.

Becky jewell L.

Elegant and Simple Solution for Small-to-Midsize Business

Reviewed on 2018/02/07

Our sales reps and admins can use the software easily with very little training.

When I offer consulting services to small businesses, I often recommend that they start billing services with Recurly - and I'm not even a Recurly affiliate! My clients do well with Recurly, which helps me do well.

Pros

It's easy to see payments and overdue accounts. Updating credit cards is easy to do, and it is easy for our reps and admins to use.

Harrison K.

Overall Recurly is a great and intuitive product which is easy to use.

Reviewed on 2015/01/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Once you learn the software, it's easy and quick to get things done. Seeing past history on an account is clear. Our organization is easily able to give many different departments access and enough privileges to fully own our required tasks. Still, our finance department can truly own billing and collections. If and when their have been issues with Recurly, their support has been thorough, and their communications have been clear and helpful.

Cons

You definitely need training from someone else who has used it to learn it properly. It didn't seem intuitive or something I could learn on my own. Also I'd say about 15% of the time, the site is down, or I at least have to log in three or four times. If manual collection is used for certain invoices, you lose the ability to truly audit what a customer is seeing.

Kamil R.

Advanced and sophisticated

Reviewed on 2018/03/08

Subscription management

Pros

Recurly is a top of the top subscription management system - it gives us all we need to run saas business without putting too much development into billing issues.

Cons

Its functionalities and very broad but when it comes to details it sometimes lacks flexibility when you want to arrange something specific for your business.

Recurly is wonderful!

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

Pros

I love how easy it is to help customers out by checking on their accounts and helping them with any billing related issues. It's really so wonderful to use!

Cons

Not much really! It's super easy to use and they never have any issues.

Lauren S.

Serves it's purpose

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/02/27
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

- easy to navigate portal
- easy to connect to payment processor
- easy to run reporting
- one single report includes all necessary information to summarize monthly bookings

Cons

- doesn't have a ton of functionality, portal is fairly basic
- best for small business due to limited functionality

Brent W.

Takes care of it.

Reviewed on 2014/08/27
Review Source

Recurly has taken care of our recurring billing for two years and counting. We have multiple businesses running on the platform and have multiple recurly accounts. There product goes above and beyond when it comes to feature flow and figuring out those *next* pains they can solve.

Pros

Dunning management
Automatically update credit card expiration numbers
Recurring rev reports
Upgrade/downgrade/cancel
API (hmmmm, so nice)
Lots more that I'm not listing here...

Cons

If you have multiple websites, you need multiple accounts (for cancellation templates, etc), no discount on second account for the fixed monthly
Can't overwrite customer ID #'s once the customer is in the system
One time purchasing not so good

Nick G.

Recurly to centralize your subscription billing

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

This software is used to keep track of billing for our customers. We also use it to keep track of who is active and who is inactive.

Pros

I really like how this software keeps track of all your subscriptions and your balance.

Cons

I least liked the renewal bot and find that customers are having their canceled subscriptions automatically renewed by the renewal bot.

Jeremy R.

Awesome Billing Tool

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Pros

Recurly is a great tool for subscription billing. It has a lot of functionality and flexibility. It is fairly easy to use and is always reliable.

Cons

Recurly is a great software but it is occasionally slow. I also think that the reporting functionality is lacking a bit.

Heather D.

I am a fan

Reviewed on 2015/08/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I enjoyed recurly! Easy, fast and not hard to learn. I would def recommend to a friend or colleague.

Cons

Cant think of anything right now. Which I say is a very good thing.

John K.

New miserable experience

Reviewed on 2019/01/11
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Regret selecting this product for use. Go with a firm that will provide customer support that will actually help you.

Pros

Yet to find a feature I like. Still trying to work through simple setup with Recurly. Maybe one day it will be setup - losing money every day because of bad support.

Cons

Terrible on-boarding support. Wish Recurly had a better customer service team that would help setup the product. I just get a run around that they don't have the correct information even though all other providers said that is all the information needed.

1.0/10
David C.

Rating only

Reviewed on 2016/04/28

Linh C.

Rating only

Reviewed on 2017/07/21

Jon H.

Super easy to integrate and manage

Reviewed on 2015/10/30

As a SaaS company, we'd rather focus on our service, not wrestling with billing software. Recurly makes it easy to plug subscription billing into our product without worries.

Response from Recurly

Thank you Jon. We love having you as a customer!

Mateusz P.

Great way to manage subscription payments

Reviewed on 2018/07/11
Review Source

Pros

An effective way to manage subscriptions payments without large commissions, easy coupons/credits creation.

Cons

Could be more user-friendly for software's beginners. Would be great to see a tutorial on how to use a software.