Chargify

Recurring billing and subscription management

Daniel D.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Good Product but Difficult Onboarding and Limited Customization

Reviewed on 2020/12/23

We signed up and began our onboarding based on a lot of assurances of what the platform could do. Unfortunately the devil was in the details. While we have some specific needs in regards to invoicing multiple subscriptions to a single client, we were assured this was possible. Once we began onboarding we hit a number of major roadblocks. We ended up having to write numerous scripts on our own to try and import our data, and even then we were unable to get the system to do what we needed without major changes to our system.

Also, looking back it seems that the sales team wasn't aligned with the actual product very well. We were sold on the new event-based billing, but the first thing they did when we onboarded was told us not to use that and use something else. Also, after we decided to suspend our onboarding when we realized the work effort was going to exceed what we had scheduled, we got the run-around from the billing person who wouldn't originally suspend it until we had another set of calls. I understand wanting to keep the account, but I was being very clear about my intentions and just wanted to suspend it while we figured out a revised strategy.

Overall I don't want to throw them under the bus too much, we really enjoyed working with our onboarding specialist. I just think that if you have a non-standard billing model you should double check if this will really fit your needs.

Pros

The user interface is clean and thought out, it meets most of the needs I had. They also have some interesting capabilities that are being released like event-based billing. Also their API is pretty close to complete.

Cons

Limited customization of the capabilities of the platform. Any kind of hierarchical invoicing (sending multiple invoices to a client) or billing for multiple subscriptions gets incredibly complex and hard to manage. Customization of invoices is also pretty limited.

Great Product, Don't Give a Hoot About Customers

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

We've been (sadly) a long-time user of Chargify. Eventually, we will switch to just using native Stripe. Chargify is just a GUI on top of native Stripe and native Stripe has come a long way over the last few years.

Anyway, Chargify got new leadership a few years ago. Their CEO told me via email and on the phone that they would not raise our prices without an adequate heads-up. Well, they did. And they raised them by 10x (TEN!!!) with one month's notice. As a consolation, they gave me $20/month off. Thanks for being so damn generous with your long-time users.

They justified it by saying their development costs have soared as they've worked to develop new and rather poorly rolled out new features that aren't as good as other tools. For example, their analytics is absolute garbage.

To make matters worse: Just recently, there was a BIG bug as they switched their API calls to Stripe where Chargify was calling the ORIGINAL card a user signed up with as opposed to the default one in Chargify. We notified them about this in late August and they passed the buck to Stripe. Well, it was NOT Stripe's fault.

After a lot more back and forth emails, they finally admitted that this was on their end and fixed the bug. But that's after we've had to process thousands of dollars in refunds.

STAY AWAY. Use Native Stripe. Chargify is a rip off.

Pros

- Ease of Use
- Dunning management
- Filtering of data

Cons

- Raise Prices 10x on Customers
- Buggy
- Analytics
- Support
- They don't care about their customers
- As you grow, their logic of how they handle Products/Coupons is really, really poorly designed.

Megan S.

Hands down best product on the market.

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

The easiest billing software that I've come across. And I've encountered many.

Pros

Above all else, their instant online CHAT SUPPORT should be an industry standard. I have had some crazy, custom expert level scenarios with which I have tried to "stump the chump", and every time, they have not only helped me come up with a great solution, but walk me through how to implement it.

Their support staff have real personalities, you can actually feel the ownership they have for the product when they assist you in the areas of the software that you need help with. They are fun, and professional at the same time.

A client came to me with this already in place, and I'll recommend them to every client I have who needs this software, all day, every day.

Cons

Since there is a 100 character limit that I must fill, I'll just sit here and type whatever comes to mind. There isn't one con. Wait. Maybe one.

Nope. Can't think of it.

Adrian M.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Solid for what it is supposed to do...

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

It's a good solution. I'd like the ability to pull full raw data from Chargify as well. I think being able to pull full raw data at the line level - all changes, etc. - can allow an organization to not just use Chargify reports and dashboards, but create their own based on their specific needs.

Pros

I like the ability to pull specific reporting like recurring revenue and sales data. The ability to see customer sales transactions and movement is great as well.

Cons

I'd like to see easier implementation with Salesforce. Now that Salesforce acquired Tableau, the reporting from Chargify can be used to pull into Salesforce for different reporting views that Chargify may not capture. Or, in some cases, Tableau is the norm for the company, not Chargify, so ease of use to share the data.

Michael K.

Solid App for Recurring Revenue Businesses

Reviewed on 2016/03/22

We use Chargify as the transactional backbone of our recurring revenue businesses. It is solid in its capabilities, adequately flexible for our needs, and has a very good set of API's that have allowed us to incorporate Chargify's system into our software platform.

Chargify's reporting and email functions are very basic and don't give us the detailed SaaS metrics we need in order to keep a good handle on the business. However, a robust ecosystem of complementary tools such as, for example, ChartMogul, have evolved to add much more precision to Chargify's reporting.

Pros

- Wide flexibility to create different recurring revenue offers (trial/no-trial, credit card/no credit card, monthly/quarterly/annual, coupon and discount codes, etc.)
- Integration with a large number of payment gateways
- Robust API's
- Broad flexibility (via CSS) for styling public-facing pages
- Takes care of all the messy details of maintaining credit cards
- Referral codes and links
- Good, comprehensive documentation

Cons

- Reporting is weak, especially on metrics for managing recurring revenue businesses, such as MRR (monthly recurring revenue), churn rates, ARPA (average revenue per account), etc; must use 3rd party applications to get these, using imported Chargify data
- Email notifications are primitive
- Coupons cannot be assigned to individual products

Andrew B.

Great Software For Tracking Monthly Revenue

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

For the majority of the time we have used the software, we have not had too many issues. Customer Support has been excellent in helping out.

Pros

I love the clean and easy on the eyes layout. The statement download functionality is simple to use and is relatively easy for my clients to log into and pay their invoices.

Cons

I am not a fan of the filtered view as there is no way to save any views (unpaid, Past Due, etc.). I always have to rebuild the search every time.

Eugene J.

Chargify is Actually Really Good

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

Overall I have had a great experience using and learning Chargify it is certainly a step in the right direction for business software needs.

Pros

Its light weight, and responsive, More features than needed to get the job done, and the interface is very user friendly and easy to learn and use.

Cons

it does slow down form time to time but it is really very rare and when it does slow down its for very short time frames, overall it is very reliable.

Jonathan M.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Chargify allows easy billing

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

Chargify makes billing a breeze, and takes a huge load of work off the shoulders of the team that handles transactions.

Pros

Chargify is powerful and easy to use, allowing us to set up billing plans and cycles for clients with ease

Cons

It can be a bit difficult to set up strange payment cycles for fluctuating bills, but that's really more a problem with having non-uniform billing than anything with the software

Easy to Use, Great Support Team!

Reviewed on 2019/02/13

Pros

The ease of use was my favorite feature as billing can always be difficult. Setting up new accounts are a breeze. When I had any questions, or issues, their support team was very responsive and helpful.

Cons

I did experience an issue where it would log me out quite often when opening a 'self-service page' to send to our customers. This appears to have been fixed and works well now.

Joe S.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Chargify is the best known way to go about subscription box services

Reviewed on 2018/04/13

Pros

Managing a multitude of subscription box billing and renewals become very doable through Chargify. It is also a good way to track revenue on a monthly basis.

Cons

This isn't necessarily built for subscription box services so there sometimes it can take a decent amount of time to get what we need from this software.

Almost perfect

Reviewed on 2019/09/11

Chargify handles the charging of credit cards and sends out manual invoices.

Pros

Flexible product configuration. Good api. Webhooks.

Cons

Clunky support for multiple currencies. Cannot modify invoice template. Cannot automatically cancel subscription when invoice is not paid on time.

Matthew S.

Great and easy to use tool for billing

Reviewed on 2015/09/08

Chargify serves as our billing software for our company. I love it! It gives us a handy, intuitive way to track payments for our customers, allowing us to better serve them overall.

Pros

Roll-over invoices for those who don't pay a previous month (whether on purpose or by accident) is REALLY helpful. It allows us to make sure we're not losing money from month to month, and helps to keep customers accountable to pay what they've agreed to pay. Along those lines, it's super beneficial to have a way to track (in as great a detail as desired) a person's billing history to be able to verify and better handle what can otherwise be frustrating conversations with customers.

Cons

Sometimes it can be confusing when adding in check payments to keep track of where they come from. Perhaps a helpful reminder when adding in a check payment saying something along the lines of, "Hey! Looks like you didn't write a note here -- you might want to, just for future reference."

Response from Chargify

Thanks Matthew for the positive feedback!

Karen M.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Easy to use and helpful customer service!

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Pros

You can create products and coupons yourself, and the process is pretty straightforward. This gives my team the capacity and autonomy to use Chargify in multiple ways + to implement our team's requests quickly + efficiently.

Cons

There are some limitations on how much you can do (like customizing the external pages that clients see). We have to do this through a Chargify customer service representative. However, all the representatives we have worked with have always been very pleasent + helpful.

Ease beginner Accounting System, needs some work on tier pricing options

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

I have found that their support is slower than some. But they are consistent and will get things resolved.

Pros

Ease of use, very simple and easy to utilize coupons.

Cons

Harder to customize for tier pricing options.

Eleanor J.

It's useful

Overall it was good.

Pros

I liked that when you reactivated an account you could set the bill date back to it's recurring billing period.

Cons

the reporting was not always easy to filter

Joel V.

Excellent software to grow your SaaS business

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Amazing company, great people, great product.

Pros

Loved that we were able to automate so much of our account signup and component usage via their API.
The product also takes you through a decent workflow to help streamline your billing and helps you make better decisions on things like pricing and dunning.

Cons

The UI could be faster. I find the pages reload pretty often. We also had to write our own REST API client. It would have been nice to have one already built.

Nothing can out beat it!

Reviewed on 2019/01/04

Pros

It was a developers dream to integrate with. We had it up and running on our saas product in a few days and its been error free since. Don't even think twice and pick it!

Cons

Nothing! Every email to support was answered quickly, our developers say its been the easiest integration, and customers never had any issues with billing.

Dru S.

OMC Review

Reviewed on 2019/09/12

Happy but not thrilled

Pros

That it works with Xero and Stripe. abcdef

Cons

It currently has slow/buggy integration with Xero

Alison S.
  • Industry: Farming

It works I guess..

Reviewed on 2019/09/13

I mean, it's been fine. I will say we're looking at other, more user/business friendly options with our site rebuild.

Pros

It is easy to edit and store profiles.
Your customer support is usually kind and they do their best, but there's a lot of issues they can't fix because the tech is so clunky.

Cons

- Customers have a hard time editing their own items
- once they do edit something we aren't notified
- using the software on our end is very difficult to run orders off of. You can't download a list or have notes on a profile. We have to have a separate google doc that we load up with everything and keep track of orders. It would be so nice to have a way to keep track of when an order was sent, order notes etc..
- It's tough to figure out who your new users are for a monthly subscription
- You should be able to customize the downloadable lists
- We have a problem because we send it out once a month on a standard day, we can't just have those people sign up and then get charged on a certain date so they get recharged, or their billing is off until we change their charge date.

Calvin G.

Solid, reliable, but pricey

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Pros

It does what we needed it to and saved us some development time up front.

Cons

It doesn't make economic sense for our business. It's just too pricey. We eventually decided that building our own billing system would make better financial sense over the long term.

Lauchlan O.
  • Industry: Farming

Observant - Chargify

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Chargify has made it super easy for me to manage our users subscription payments by integrating with a lot of the other programs that I use on a daily basis.

Pros

It's very user friendly, I'm fluent in it's use after just 6 months and I've had very little guidance from others.

Cons

Can't think of anything at this moment.

Jennifer C.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

I use Chargify everyday!

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

Pros

I love how easy it is to navigate through the software. It's incredibly user friendly.

Cons

When it comes to payments, I noticed that its a little confusing how you've set up the "transaction" tab. I wish that it was a little bit more simplistic and easier to use.

Yinglin L.
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Netural

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Pros

I like the UI/UX which is very user friendly.

Cons

I hope Chargify can improve the data accuracy on the graph that shown on the dashboard. Once upon a time, I found out that the actual number of daily subscribers didn't match with the graph. It is hard to tell by glance. And the customer representatives told me that it takes a while to fix it. But no one notify me after the bug is being fixed.

Wayne D.
  • Industry: Information Services

There needs to be backdating function

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

Chargify team is very helpful and their product team spent time with me on identifying issues and being transparent in timelines of new features which should solve alot of my problems.

Pros

It is automated. It can sync with alot of tools.

Cons

It will not allow for fixes and adjustments of MRR for prior month.

Sweet SaaS Payments

Reviewed on 2019/02/13

Chargify has been great so far. Navigating the dashboard is easy and, especially compared to a competitor we previously used, their customer service team is fantastic - quick to respond and very helpful (both via email and phone).

Pros

Intuitive dashboard. Easy to navigate user accounts and update payment schedules for customers with the click of a button. Easy PayPal and Venmo integration.

Cons

A little pricey compared to some other options.