Chargify Reviews

Chargify

Recurring billing and subscription management

4.5/5 (70 reviews)

Robust system, particularly for API usage

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

We came from a competing service where the tech support had devolved. We needed an API that was robust enough to let us convert our existing payment system quickly, which Chargify's did. The customer service and tech support along the way has been excellent. As PCI compliance became more rigorous, we moved to using their hosted public payment pages, which allows us to reduce/remove PCI compliance on our side. However, the public pages do come with some limitations in that customizing them requires knowledge of CSS and Javascript to control various elements. Overall, however, our transition to, and continued use of Chargify has been a great experience and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a merchant account payment processor.

Pros

- API functions to handle almost any processing request you can think of
- Great tech support (actual knowledgeable techs, not script-readers)
- System uptime seems stable and reliable
- Hosted public payment pages helps reduce PCI compliance requirements

Cons

- Cost is a bit on the high side, but not outside the realm of its competition.
- Geared strongly for recurring payments, lacking easy single-charge functions (in particular, scheduling a single charge on the future date).
- Customizing the public payment pages could be easier with options to display/hide various components instead of relying on merchant to create CSS/Javascript to control them.
- ACH support limited to only a couple of merchant account providers. In our case, this requires us to use a separate e-check payment processor, resulting it maintaining two distinct payment processes on our side.

Response from Chargify

We're glad that your experience with Chargify has been a great experience & appreciate the review. We are always looking to improve our service & value this feedback when prioritizing updates!

Chargify is great if you need to customize

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

Pros

We are grandfathered into older pricing which is amazing. It's less expensive than many other rebilling platforms.

It is easy for a developer to customize to your businesses needs. It's a simple program and not a one size fits all approach.

Cons

The dashboard isn't accurate and there's a discrepancy between the main dashboard KPIs and the insights. The data isn't populating correctly and it throws off the numbers. Doesn't take into account certain things like when someone pauses, cancels and is reactivated, etc.

No paypal option if you choose Stripe bc they only allow for one payment gateway.

Response from Chargify

Thank you for your review! The discrepancy you are seeing in the dashboards is feedback we have received before. Currently, the two graphs show different things (one is cash, the other is a billing based view of revenue). Our team has developed a detailed plan to fix this issue. Feel free to contact us at [email protected] or 1-800-401-2412, if you have more questions on this matter.

Sandra J.

Great product. Easy to setup and use.

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

We have a self-serve SAAS service and Chargify helps us automate the charging and statements as well as providing customers with a way to manage their information, plan choices and payment details.

Pros

Chargify is a great product. Great for smaller business. I like that it's fairly simple and intuitive for setup and use. The UI is great and easy to navigate. Support are very responsive and friendly. They take initiative to help and advise customers through developments in subscription charging and often introduce useful new features to the tool. Always striving to improve. API is good too.

Cons

Some of the framework introduces complexities and complications. I've struggled a bit manging customers using invoice billing and also having customers manage information, statements etc in the billing portal. Though there are workarounds for any issues it can, occasionally, make things a little fiddly.

Justin P.

A rock solid billing platform lacking just a few search related features.

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

Solid and extensible, which is what we wanted, but plenty of room for improvement in admin, search, and reporting areas.

Pros

The platform is fully featured as far meeting as our needs for recurring annual billing for software licenses. It has a fast interface, the API is solid for website related coding, and the

Cons

The admin area is lacking in features. No real ability to generate custom reports, though they have some details reports but the drill down is limited. The search/filter capabilities are poor in most screens. They recently added a global search ability, which is handy for simple account related detail, but presents only a short list, and can only select one account each time, so no good for bulk searches. The main list screens for transactions and subscriptions is severely lacking in searchable parameters. For example, searching transactions exposes only date range and a type. No other transaction data is available to search against. This lack of back end admin features appears in other areas too, such as the web hooks panel.

Megan S.

Hands down best product on the market.

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

The easiest billing software that I've come across. And I've encountered many.

Pros

Above all else, their instant online CHAT SUPPORT should be an industry standard. I have had some crazy, custom expert level scenarios with which I have tried to "stump the chump", and every time, they have not only helped me come up with a great solution, but walk me through how to implement it.

Their support staff have real personalities, you can actually feel the ownership they have for the product when they assist you in the areas of the software that you need help with. They are fun, and professional at the same time.

A client came to me with this already in place, and I'll recommend them to every client I have who needs this software, all day, every day.

Cons

Since there is a 100 character limit that I must fill, I'll just sit here and type whatever comes to mind. There isn't one con. Wait. Maybe one.

Nope. Can't think of it.

Michael W.

Billing in for multiple types of subscription models

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

We did not want to write a full customer billing system when we started 10 years ago. Chargify let us get up and running quickly and has kept pace with our needs as we grow.

Pros

Easy integration brought us to Chargify and it has been consistently good. The simple interface and a fair number of modifications have been great to manage our billing system without having to master an overly complex system.

Cons

We sell recurring and also Pay As You Go subscriptions. Recurring works great and our customers love it. Our Pay as You Go customers complain from time to time because their statement can arrive up to 30 days after their purchase. That makes them assume they have be billed on a recurring plan.

We understand we are a weird kind of account and you focus on recurring ... so no hard feelings

Chargify is simple and easy to use, but also a very robust tool

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

We are a company with thousands of active and inactive customers and Chargify gives us the ability to easily manage all of our accounts without hassle. It takes seconds to process new charges, generate billing statements, and apply refunds. We are much more efficient as a team thanks to Chargify!

Pros

-Easy to process charges in a matter of seconds
-Reviewing and sending out billing statements is quick and simple
-Updating payment information is easy to do over the phone or by sending a "self service link"
-Processing refunds takes moments

Cons

-Not being able to update contact information on billing statements after a charge has been processed

Response from Chargify

We're glad to hear Chargify has helped make your team much more efficient. Thank you for the feedback - our team is always working to improve our product!

Loris D.

Best Till Date

Reviewed on 2016/11/04
Review Source

It is a great app. I can totally rely on it. Compare to other apps, it's quick, efficient, I love how easy it is to manage the funds with it! Also, it integrates really well with the other tools we use. It has quick responsive services. Must say this is great service. Very relaxing and easy.

Pros

Chargify’s Revenant billion answer is ideal for small scale and midsize growing corporations.
It offers mobile dedicated app for iPhone and for iPad device users, not like different similar tools. The client support of Chargify offers phone, on-line and mail support for users.
The Revenant charge platform supports integration with Salesforce not like different similar tools.
The Revenant billion answer offers yearly, quarterly and monthly charge cycles feature.
Chargify doesn’t supply any mobile dedicated app for robot smartphone and pill users.

Cons

The continual charge resolution doesn’t supply intelligent funds routing feature like different similar tools.
The customer-bound mail feature of Chargify isn't extremely customizable like different similar tools.

Jason M.

Chargify has everything you need

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

We've been with Chargify since the early days, and although they have raised their prices we are still very happy not only that we chose them to begin with, but that we are still happy with the service. If you want a solid payment processor that will meet all your business/corporate/legal needs, Chargify is the one-stop-package.

Pros

Meets all legal standards
Hosts transactions
Accepts payments outside US
Handles Dunning
Reliable
Many useful features like step-tiered billing
Helpful support

Cons

Cost has been raised several times since we started
Rate limiting on API is pretty low
Wish it had more hosted payment page/email templates/customizations
Locked in once you choose them as your payment provider, no real migration path to other service.

Leilani S.

Makes My Job 10 TIMES Easier!

Reviewed on 2017/11/02

Chargify has helped our support team be able to maintain transparency and integrity of our automation and billing process when its come into question. I cannot say enough wonderful things!

Pros

We use Chargify for all things billing like processing subscription charges. We've also been able to automate invoicing/statements, failed credit card payments, subscription state, customized billing, etc... and can we talk API? Their API was very easy to integrate with and use has shown to be very valuable when regarding disputes and verification of integrity of our customer accounts. We couldn't be any happier! Plus, their support team is and has ALWAYS been helpful when anyone from our team reaches out.

Michael K.

Solid App for Recurring Revenue Businesses

Reviewed on 2016/03/22
Review Source

We use Chargify as the transactional backbone of our recurring revenue businesses. It is solid in its capabilities, adequately flexible for our needs, and has a very good set of API's that have allowed us to incorporate Chargify's system into our software platform.

Chargify's reporting and email functions are very basic and don't give us the detailed SaaS metrics we need in order to keep a good handle on the business. However, a robust ecosystem of complementary tools such as, for example, ChartMogul, have evolved to add much more precision to Chargify's reporting.

Pros

- Wide flexibility to create different recurring revenue offers (trial/no-trial, credit card/no credit card, monthly/quarterly/annual, coupon and discount codes, etc.)
- Integration with a large number of payment gateways
- Robust API's
- Broad flexibility (via CSS) for styling public-facing pages
- Takes care of all the messy details of maintaining credit cards
- Referral codes and links
- Good, comprehensive documentation

Cons

- Reporting is weak, especially on metrics for managing recurring revenue businesses, such as MRR (monthly recurring revenue), churn rates, ARPA (average revenue per account), etc; must use 3rd party applications to get these, using imported Chargify data
- Email notifications are primitive
- Coupons cannot be assigned to individual products

Chris J.

Incredible

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

I like how easy it is to create reports. Working in Customer Care, it's my responsibility to call our insureds that are past due. With 5 clicks I have a spreadsheet and I'm off making my calls for the day.

Pros

The ease of use and the fact that it's never down. We've used a couple of different payment companies in the past 10 years or so and they'd send out an email saying, "We will be down for maintenance from 2:00 EST to 4:00 EST" on a Monday or Tuesday. That didn't work for us at all.

Cons

Nothing. I love it!!!! There is nothing I would change.

Sarah B.

Strong product, responsive product and support team

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

We use Chargify for all of our billing processing. It covers the vast majority of our needs very ably. I am the primary user, but don't negotiate the contract, so I can't speak to value for the money.

Pros

Easy to use, new features make it more flexible for our business. Amazing support team and a product team that is interested in feedback and actually implements it!

Cons

There are some limitations in terms of how it can be used. Our pricing has become more flexible, which is a challenge with the need to pre-set product and discount types.

Rey M.

Nice Product, Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

I am very satisfied and have no plans of changing. I'd like the pricing to be a little better as it can be expensive for small businesses.

Pros

There are a good number of features and options and web hook integration is critical.

Cons

Some of the linking to credit processing can be hard if the bank isn't set up correctly 100%. The customization for signup forms can get tricky when you need a lot of custom options. I'd like the pricing to be a little better as it can be expensive for small businesses.

Michael Y.

With this platform, you will have the opportunity to increase your income

Reviewed on 2018/05/12
Review Source

Pros

The interface is really intuitive and provides simple reports. Very good guys in support, even when we had questions in a few hours, their chat support was always in touch. We use Chargify to process all repetitive credit card payments for our business. Earlier we used another service for permanent payments, but we decided to try Chargify because of their excellent support and the best customer service.

Cons

The control panel can be really confusing, in part because it is so multifunctional. Also, it would be great if they offered integration with HubSpot, this would be convenient for us.

Good software, but requires a lot of work

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

Overall we like Chargify, and love their support team. The product has gotten a lot more expensive since we started with them, but when everything is working it's really one of the best platforms I've ever used.

Pros

The ease of basic setup, integration with payment processors and basic product functions are great. The API is also very functional and pretty nice to work with.

Cons

The customization options are a bit hamfisted and difficult to work with. I like that Chargify gives the option of using their checkout page but I hate that it takes custom javascript to make basic text changes. Feel like the software generally does everything I need, but sometimes you need to call support and get a "cheat" to make it work. Unfortunately we have also had several incidents over the last few years where bugs in chargify's software have cost us money.

Neil H.

Solid product and easy to integrate

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

I have had a very good experience with Chargify. They feel like a business partner as well as a software provider - it feels quite personal.

Pros

I like how easy it is to integrate with a website

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about Chargify. The only slight challenge is that you have to have a separate payment provider to hook it up to so that payments can be taken, but Chargify does a really good job of subscription-based payments and website integration.

Easy to Use, Great Support Team!

Reviewed on 2019/02/13

Pros

The ease of use was my favorite feature as billing can always be difficult. Setting up new accounts are a breeze. When I had any questions, or issues, their support team was very responsive and helpful.

Cons

I did experience an issue where it would log me out quite often when opening a 'self-service page' to send to our customers. This appears to have been fixed and works well now.

Tamara F.

Pretty Great To Use!

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

Pros

I didn't choose this software, my employer did. But while I've never taken them up on training, I've been very easily able to navigate through the program and do what I need to do. It's very easy, I like the look and feel of everything and I've never had a problem. Whenever I needed it, support staff have been easy and quick to reach/respond and they've successfully helped me every time. If I ran my own business, I'd probably use Chargify for my online billing needs.

Cons

Nothing really. Haven't ever had an issue.

Great Service, Competitive price

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Chargify gives us the flexibility to rebill our customers in any way we want. Their platform is easy to use and well documented.

Pros

Chargify is easy to use and adapt to your business. They constantly improve their service. Better pricing than most of the competition.

Cons

Some competitors offer more features and are first to offer new technologies, but Chargify is quick to follow.

Tania G.

Chargify is great for managing subscriptions

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Over all experience is great!

Pros

It keeps all account's details separated by sections which makes it easier for the users to find out specific data from customers.

We have 5 processors and they all work with Chargify which is amazing. We don't need more software or do more work to manage the billing.

You can manage the access given all users which is great.

Cons

It would be great if we could integrate all subscriptions from different processors in just one Chargify account.

Chargify review

Reviewed on 2019/03/25

Pros

The option to rebill customers monthly. It was also very affordable for us when we first started the business and our customer support team is able to easily navigate and learn the platform.

Cons

Our customers frequently complain about the billing portal. However, we are working on our own solution for this.

Joe S.

Chargify is the best known way to go about subscription box services

Reviewed on 2018/04/13

Pros

Managing a multitude of subscription box billing and renewals become very doable through Chargify. It is also a good way to track revenue on a monthly basis.

Cons

This isn't necessarily built for subscription box services so there sometimes it can take a decent amount of time to get what we need from this software.

Tanya V.

A Great Experience

Reviewed on 2017/10/05
Review Source

Pros

The sales process and the setup process were both so great. I felt very well taken care of by, especially by my on-boarding specialist, Kayla. She took me through a very stressful transition (let's be honest, money and technology can stress a person out) and made it smooth and easy. I'm very happy to be on track and using the system now. And I love it! I went with Chargify because it seemed like the only system that would allow me to both charge clients cards automatically, but also send invoices to those clients that need to pay by check, ACH or wire transfer. We have a lot of international clients, so this was imperative for us.

Cons

There are a few places that improvements could be made, but they are minor and the staff seem very open to hearing comments. I do wish we could go back and edit invoices that have already been created. But I understand the reasoning behind it. I would also like to see more advanced/flexible reporting.

Zelma W.

Intuitive

Reviewed on 2017/09/18

Pros

Chargify is easy to use straight out of the box and most activities are intuitive. I like that you are able to give users different levels of access and the reporting is very robust. Their customer service is top-notch!

Cons

Most payment software provides the user id for transactions and Chargify currently doesnt have this feature. We have multiple people across different sites processing transactions and it is hard to keep track of who does what.