Rollbar

Full-stack bug and issue tracking for web and mobile apps

Ayhan C.

Unusable product with no customer support

Reviewed on 2020/07/10

My overall experience with this product is quite negative. Last year I noticed that when my teammates mention me under a specific item (a bug) I didn't receive any emails. This is quite important because the product doesn't offer any alternatives to get notified about those issues. There are no webpage notifications. There is no way to search for bugs that you were mentioned. The only alternative is to go through hundreds of web pages and use Cmd + F to see if someone mentioned you, asked you a question, assigned a task to you, or some other thing that is important for your daily job.
I wrote to their customer service explaining the issue. Our initial correspondence took almost a month for me to convince them there is in fact a problem and I didn't receive emails. After convincing them, I was told that I could get a reply in a few weeks. I followed up one month later, and they asked for a few more weeks. Another month passed and they basically said this was a low priority issue and they don't know if and when it will be fixed. I wasn't even offered any workarounds.
Since then, I get an automated email from them once in a while asking me to rate their product. I give a low rating, explain the situation, a couple of months passes and I get the same email.
I work in SaaS, I do understand the need for prioritization and the lack of resources but having a critical feature that doesn't work for a customer and not bothering to offer any alternatives are a big no for me.

Pros

It allows me to track some bugs and act quickly.

Cons

Lack of customer support and the bad user interface.

Jonathan T.

The Absolute BEST Thing You Can Do for Writing Better Software

Reviewed on 2016/09/26

Team Rollbar--I LOVE you guys and your wonderful service! This review is far too long overdue.

Let me save you a bunch of time and make the decision for you. If you're not already using an error tracking platform, you must. If you're deciding between which services to use, just go with Rollbar, and stop deliberating.

Rollbar is hands-down, THE BEST full-stack application error and exception monitoring/tracking system.

I was an early user and first started using Rollbar in early 2012 (back when it was still called Ratchet.io). Suffice it to say, it has completely transformed and leveled-up the way I build and write applications.

Rollbar is now a must-have for any application I build. TDD? Yeah, could do that, or you can just be more lean and start building, and Rollbar will catch all of your exceptions for you. Large team? Even more so that you need Rollbar, so that you can detect and fix errors before they inconvenience your users.

Here are the reasons for why I think Rollbar is great:

Best thing since sliced bread - For the developers in the late 90's to early 2000's who remember it, just as Firebug and later on Chrome Developer Tools was to JavaScript development, so is Rollbar to development on any stack. Before, with writing JavaScript in Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer 4.0, all you had to go off of was that there was a JS error and the JS on a page was completely broken. Developers familiar with that old debugging technique will shake their heads today--manual binary search, commenting out parts of code until it started working again--those days are gone. Now, with Rollbar, you can know with certainty what parts of your application, down to the specific line(s) of code, are causing the exception.

Rollbar has an exceptional, world-class team. Rollbar is built by engineers, for engineers. I know because I've worked with a few folks at team Rollbar, including the founder/CEO Brian Rue, who has been a mentor and advisor to me at a few startups, and some of my elite former colleagues who were hand-picked to join the Rollbar team. They are extremely talented hackers and engineers.

Rollbar scales, an is extremely reliable. We're not just talking Mickey Mouse pretend scale, but they actually do. Guess what? Unlike most of the rest of the web, they're actually NOT primarily an AWS-based stack (yeah, because AWS outages can cause large chunks of the web to fail). Rollbar is in multiple data centers across the world for improved

Brian R.

Sure beats a shared email inbox!

Reviewed on 2020/07/13

Very positive and better priced for its features than some of its competitors. It also helps the pricing is by volume rather than users, which makes far more sense for this kind of product.

Pros

The ability to aggregate your bug/debug information into a single platform, with the ability to prioritize based on the severity and frequency. Sure beats our shared email inbox "solution". Integration into things like Slack are amazingly useful for highlighting Nth errors.

Cons

Inability to setup fine-tuned VCS integration, we have a multi-branch environment and only being able to set 1 git branch for all the environments basically nullifies any use it has outside of the production environment. We have setup all the environments in rollbar but there is no ability to map each to its own git branch.

Alex T.
  • Industry: Events Services

Error monitoring done right

Reviewed on 2017/04/06

We're Rollbar customers for a about two years, moved to Rollbar after trying few other log aggregation services but none of them had features we needed or didn't deliver on their promise.

We're using Ruby on Rails, integration was a breeze, started receiving error messages in less than 5 minutes. The interface is easy to use, live feed works great showing errors as they come up, resolving issues and tracking deploys flows works perfectly. Also I can't recall when Rollbar had downtime or a bug, yet we see new gem releases regularly. I wish other services we use had such a robust infrastructure as Rollbar do.

Also I'd like to mention their exceptional support, with very quick responses from highly qualified agents that solve your problems spot on.

With Rollbar tools we manage to resolve majority of the issues as they happen, before customers contact our support teams.

Pros

Uptime, easy to use api, live feed, rql, people tracking, exceptional support

Cons

Unified dashboard between projects would be great, but can be implemented with their api

David B.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Solid exception with straight forward pricing model

Reviewed on 2020/07/11

Pros

Good language support. Good both for frontend and backend error tracking. Quick to set up notification (e.g. slack messages) for multiple projects thanks to "copy notification settings from existing project" feature. Very easy to comprehend pricing and packaging.

Cons

Grouping of errors could be better out of the box. But it's not like Rollbar is worse than any of the competition in this regards and they do offer manual configuration to solve common grouping mistakes.

Amazing tracing of context data for execution

Reviewed on 2020/07/10

We are collecting data from 6 Django mircoservices and we can rely on Rollbar for all error logs and traceback rotation.

Pros

Ability to view in memory data snapshot and current variable values when exception occurred.

Cons

The dashboard could be faster with some default dashboards.

Przemysław D.
  • Industry: Design

Solid tool that meets my needs

Reviewed on 2020/07/10

I'm satisfied with Rollbar. It meets my needs.

Pros

Dashboard with items is extremely useful. It provides many options to filter & sort all captured errors/warnings/etc. It shows many pieces of information in a clear way.
I like recent updates with custom fingerprinting that allows easier grouping of items.

Cons

There are some places that require extra clicking after UI redesign, e.g. "Settings" for project.
I'd like to run RQL faster and have simple editor or code-completion aid to write RQL queries easier.

We rely on Rollbar for great client-side error logging

Reviewed on 2018/04/18

Rollbar let us drop in an SDK that automatically wired up to capture browser errors without a ton of work on our end, which was a huge time-saver.

Pros

Rollbar is great for logging client-side javascript errors (although they can also log errors from a bunch of other sources), and we use their source-map feature to have useful error reports on our minified code. Rollbar also has useful alerting for when a new issue crops up, or an issue crosses a threshold for number of times seen. When we've gone to them for support we've found it to be great.

Cons

Rollbar is reasonably good at de-duping the same errors and grouping them into a single item, although that's not yet flawless. They've also got a query language that we've used a little but, although in our experience it is pretty slow to return results (which could totally be on us).

Gustavo M.
  • Industry: Human Resources
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Required for error tracking

Reviewed on 2020/07/12

We’ve implemented a database timeout so we receive a rollbar error whenever we have a slow query, and we can track the number of occurrences we have. It was very helpful

Pros

I’ve added rollbar to many projects and it was very simple and easy to integrate. Rollbar help and getting started was helpful. The tool is useful to understand what are the weakest parts of the applications and what are the most frequent source or errors.

Cons

The error grouping sometimes is not perfect and impacts in how much time I should dedicate to group errors properly in order to identify the real amount of errors and occurrences of the same problem in different parts of the application.

Erik G.

works well

Reviewed on 2020/07/13

Pros

the grouping works pretty well. It's good to be able to customise the error levels

Cons

Often, my selections for viewable levels goes back to default "error". I don't understand why critical errors are not shown by default, should be critical and error IMHO

Ben K.

Reliable Exception Handling

Reviewed on 2016/08/22

I switched to Rollbar as an alternative for my side projects since Logentries doesn't offer a free tier. Logentries has a complicated, real-time UI. Sometimes that UI can feel a bit laggy if you've got a lot of logs coming in. Rollbar doesn't have this kind of complex UI so it feels faster and simpler. I'm beginning to prefer it over Logentries.

Pros

The ability to know which user experienced a problem when using the software before the user reports the bug. Combining that with the debug information, I'm empowered to follow up with the user about the problem notifying them of a potential fix even when they never submitted a bug report.

Cons

I love the free plan, but the next plan they offer is $30/mo. I wish there were more side-project-friendly pricing options. $30/mo for a project I host for free and is open source is a bit much.

Jim H.

Quick Access to User-Impacting Issues

Reviewed on 2020/07/15

Pros

Rollbar gives us an immediate view into issues that are impacting our users.

Cons

Sometimes the information is superficial. It tells us there's a problem, but not enough clues about the real cause.

• Industry: Information Services

A common tool in my toolbox

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

I am a long term customer (7y+). I plan to keep it that way.

Pros

It does its job. Reliably, consistently. It has our back.

Cons

The UI could be improved: some times too many clicks to find the information we need.

Naren P.

Great addition to stack

Reviewed on 2020/07/11

A great tool to streamline for the dev team

Pros

Tracing
Real-time integration with other tools
Workflow automation

Cons

none - This is, in general, a great tool to be part of the tech stack

Review for Rollbar

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

Pros

I like the versatility of Rollbar as we are able to use it for error logging, system alerts and as a notification system whenever certain events happen.

Cons

It is sometimes hard to parse the information in a Rollbar error, specifically the parameters passed in through whatever means. This information does usually exist, but it could be pushed more to the forefront (or perhaps users could have more customization options so that they can configure Rollbar to expose this information).

Daniel O.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Easy to Use Error Reporting

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

Pros

Rollbar makes it easy to track, find, and organize errors across all your services and applications.

Cons

At times errors can be missed and the service can go down.

Daniel O.

Not Very Helpful

Reviewed on 2020/07/10

Pros

It's great that it logs errors. And the grouping of errors is sometimes helpful.

Cons

That searching for anything other than the unique identifier is almost impossible. Found a work-around using RQL, but that is sometimes hours later by the time the RQL database is populated with recent errors... so basically, we have to reproduce and error and then hurry and click the errors at the top and hope we can maybe find it. It's worse than logging errors to a text file honestly... cause at least I could search that in a reasonable amount of time.

Abdullah K.

Rollbar is Awesome for the Aggregation of Production Errors

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

We are using Rollbar on our project for more than a year and found it awesome. We were looking a solution where we can send and collect production errors and notify the team over Slack to fix them ASAP. We found Rollbar a great choice for that. Overall, the experience was great.

Pros

The dashboard, filtering features, aggregation capabilities and integration with other tools are the one of the best things of Rollbar.

Cons

Deleting the occurrences could be made easier. Had to use API and Python to do the job efficiently.

Pablo J.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great error tracking software

Reviewed on 2016/10/14

I'm using Rollbar since 2014, and it's the greatest tool for track errors into my RoR application. It says to me when an error happen, where and who. I saved a lot of money thanks to rollbar, 100% recommended.

Pros

Very easy to use

Brad N.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Rollbar makes error tracking and log searching easy

Reviewed on 2020/07/10

Pros

Rollbar was decently easy to implement into our code and we started collecting info immediately. It's wonderful that it aggregates the errors and warnings together based on the type and gives enough info to start tracking down the issues. The interface is pretty easy to understand as well. The RQL was nice to be able to query against the list of errors for more details or specific traits.

Cons

Working with large amounts of instances of the same error or warning can get very frustrating because of the limitations of RQL. Queries would time out. The solution was to either constrain the data by timestamps (guess and check if it times out) or to implement their API and have some scheduled jobs to break the data into more manageable chunks via the same method.

Jorge N.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

A must have tool

Reviewed on 2020/07/15

So far Rollbar it's a must-have on all other software implementations to keep track of bugs.

Pros

We like Rollbar because it helps us to keep track of every error on our production application, have a great user interface to work with and its affordable similar services.

Cons

A kanban view will be very help full to have a good way to keep order or prioritize the errors that need to get fix. So far the integration with bitbucket have help us to track the development of the fix for the errors.

Maxime M.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

NIce

Reviewed on 2020/07/21

Pros

I like the way Error are display
and
Php Support

Cons

I want Git support for bitbucket server.

Kasey M.

Great, powerful, simple to implement!

Reviewed on 2020/07/15

Pros

It does a great job of showing us when errors occur, and helps us to hop on errors our customers are seeing!

Cons

The project settings / invite new people screen needs some love. its kinda confusing.

Jarrod N.

Best thing to improve customer experiance

Reviewed on 2020/07/10

Now that we have been using it I could never go back to not using a solution like this, you get detailed knowledge of customer-facing issues before they raise a ticket.

Pros

Integration with other tools
Detailed config

Cons

Can generate alot of emails at times
Very sensitive, raises errors at the smallest issue which is both good and bad in a way

Farid E.

We love Rollbar at Mymee :)

Reviewed on 2020/07/11

Pros

It's super easy to implement and you can start seeing errors within minutes. Super useful as a quick "point me to where the issue is" tool.

Cons

I wish I could see which DB queries are taking a long time, like some other services like Kibana or DataDog would show me.