Rollbar Reviews

Rollbar

Full-stack bug and issue tracking for web and mobile apps

4.8/5 (87 reviews)
Jonathan T.

The Absolute BEST Thing You Can Do for Writing Better Software

Reviewed on 2016/09/26

Team Rollbar--I LOVE you guys and your wonderful service! This review is far too long overdue.

Let me save you a bunch of time and make the decision for you. If you're not already using an error tracking platform, you must. If you're deciding between which services to use, just go with Rollbar, and stop deliberating.

Rollbar is hands-down, THE BEST full-stack application error and exception monitoring/tracking system.

I was an early user and first started using Rollbar in early 2012 (back when it was still called Ratchet.io). Suffice it to say, it has completely transformed and leveled-up the way I build and write applications.

Rollbar is now a must-have for any application I build. TDD? Yeah, could do that, or you can just be more lean and start building, and Rollbar will catch all of your exceptions for you. Large team? Even more so that you need Rollbar, so that you can detect and fix errors before they inconvenience your users.

Here are the reasons for why I think Rollbar is great:

Best thing since sliced bread - For the developers in the late 90's to early 2000's who remember it, just as Firebug and later on Chrome Developer Tools was to JavaScript development, so is Rollbar to development on any stack. Before, with writing JavaScript in Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer 4.0, all you had to go off of was that there was a JS error and the JS on a page was completely broken. Developers familiar with that old debugging technique will shake their heads today--manual binary search, commenting out parts of code until it started working again--those days are gone. Now, with Rollbar, you can know with certainty what parts of your application, down to the specific line(s) of code, are causing the exception.

Rollbar has an exceptional, world-class team. Rollbar is built by engineers, for engineers. I know because I've worked with a few folks at team Rollbar, including the founder/CEO Brian Rue, who has been a mentor and advisor to me at a few startups, and some of my elite former colleagues who were hand-picked to join the Rollbar team. They are extremely talented hackers and engineers.

Rollbar scales, an is extremely reliable. We're not just talking Mickey Mouse pretend scale, but they actually do. Guess what? Unlike most of the rest of the web, they're actually NOT primarily an AWS-based stack (yeah, because AWS outages can cause large chunks of the web to fail). Rollbar is in multiple data centers across the world for improved

Pepijn O.

Error tracking made easy

Reviewed on 2016/10/21

I have been using Rollbar for about 3 years now, and I have to say it has made my life a lot easier. They have a ton of platform integrations, but I have only integrated this service in Android and PHP projects. For most programming languages, they have their own API, but this product seems to be so popular that people are even writing wrappers around the API for frameworks.

Eg see https://github.com/jenssegers/laravel-rollbar

I would definitely recommend this to anyone, especially because they also have an 'always free' formula, which gives you the opportunity to try it out.

Customer support is really decent, they're usually replying to your requests in 2 hours or less. And I'm not even in their timezone.

Pros

It's really easy to use, there's a ton of wrappers available for any programming language / framework, and they have an 'always free' formula, which I use for my personal projects

Cons

As with any online product, I don't like to pay :) But other than that, I can't say anything bad about it. And as I said, they have a free formula, which is great if you're just working on a small personal project

Thaine R.

Error Logs Simplified

Reviewed on 2016/11/07

I'd never really done any log management things untill my CTO brought this product to our application suite. The time this has saved us is just incredible. The main features that really help:

Grouping of Logs - Groups together errors so you don't get spammed. There have been a time or two this has worked against me, but overall it really helps. Not to mention, you can resolve errors and they'll pop back up if they happen again, so you know if something is really broken or just a one off developer bug.

Stacktrace and Local variables - Really helps that they include the full stack trace, and if you choose, can display local variables you inject. This has made it so easy to setup some debugging features and then let them go. For those really weird bugs that you really can't seem to nail down a cause for.

Environment Separation - Really helps to tell between a production (oh no! Lets fix this!) or a staging (fix it before pushing) kinda errors.

I don't think I could go back to any other debugging method. In the very least, Rollbar always gives me a place to start using xdebug. At the most, I look at the information and know exactly what went wrong, and can fix it. Great product!

Pros

Log Grouping
Stacktrace with local variables
Enivronment Separation

Cons

Something the grouping can work too well, and errors that are different actually get grouped together. The standards can be a little hard to figure out, and there are multiple ways to do everything.

Alexander M.

Motivating time saver

Reviewed on 2017/04/01

Motivating time saver
April 01, 2017 12:38

I'm a Rollbar user since the very beginning of the project. Before Rollbar I've switched a few ways of dealing with logs.

First, I was just reading logs when needed with tail and getting a weekly batch of errors by email. That was OK for local development and tiny projects but for bigger deployments that were useless because the amount of data.

Then I've found some offline log aggregation tools and these were OK but still required exporting logs, running these tools and checking results. Rollbar automates all that. You're getting a realtime picture of your errors. You can sort messages by the number of occurrences thus getting a good list to work on.

Another fun part is how it charges you. The more errors you have the more you pay. Rollbar motivates you to fix things to pay less.

At first, I've tried it in personal projects then in a huge commercial project that is already running for more than 7 years. Rollbar saved me hundreds of hours and I'm glad I've stumbled upon it back then.

Pros

Saves time. Usability. Features.

Cons

One in half a year there's a lag between sending an error and seeing it analyzed. Not a big issue though.

Alex T.

Error monitoring done right

Reviewed on 2017/04/06

We're Rollbar customers for a about two years, moved to Rollbar after trying few other log aggregation services but none of them had features we needed or didn't deliver on their promise.

We're using Ruby on Rails, integration was a breeze, started receiving error messages in less than 5 minutes. The interface is easy to use, live feed works great showing errors as they come up, resolving issues and tracking deploys flows works perfectly. Also I can't recall when Rollbar had downtime or a bug, yet we see new gem releases regularly. I wish other services we use had such a robust infrastructure as Rollbar do.

Also I'd like to mention their exceptional support, with very quick responses from highly qualified agents that solve your problems spot on.

With Rollbar tools we manage to resolve majority of the issues as they happen, before customers contact our support teams.

Pros

Uptime, easy to use api, live feed, rql, people tracking, exceptional support

Cons

Unified dashboard between projects would be great, but can be implemented with their api

Ahimanikya S.

Simple and Power Realtime issue tracker

Reviewed on 2017/01/12

At DocEngage we have been using Rollbar for more than a year now.

We track real-time exception and respond to the issues quickly, sometimes we reach out to our customers before they find time to report the issue. This yields very impactful customer gratification. It also helps us to pinpoint the issue with real use case and evidence.

When we have issues with manful traces we observed there is less tension between developers and quality/support team.

We tried many competing real-time issue tracker and settled with Rollbar for its simplicity and integration capabilities.

We use Rollbar for tracking Java and Javascript exception and our effort to create integration hook was almost zero.

As far as collaboration is concerned, we love the way it's integrated with JIRA and HipChat.

Pros

Simplicity, Ability to integrate with tools and our application to track real-time issue.

Cons

None

Piotr S.

Great debugging tool

Reviewed on 2016/09/07

Rollbar is a must-have for the debugging toolkit. You get errors reported in one place, with history, tracebacks, all request data, user data and so on. Capturing of locals and args is *incredibly* useful and speeds up debugging greatly. You can easily have many people looking at a bug at the same time. The interface is really clear and easy to use, even for the non-dev teammates.

You won't be needing much support, but when you do it'll be both very responsive and very effective.

Setup is easy and Rollbar never gets in the way of your code. Just add that integration with Slack and you'll find Rollbar indispensable. Massive opportunity for squashing bugs quickly. Definitely do recommend!

Pros

- Tracebacks
- Locals and args captured
- Request and user data
- RQL!

Cons

- Not everything can be exported as CSV (yet?)
- More out-of-the box integrations would be very useful (i.e. Celery)

Awesome crashlytics for SaaS! One of those MUST HAVE apps.

Reviewed on 2018/03/10
Review Source

Pros

We have been using Rollbar for last 3 years and we are not planning on quiting! WE LOVE IT! Easy to integrate into our products. Maintaining crash-free app became a lot easier. Support on HIGHEST level. INTEGRATION with JIRA is also a great add-on.

Cons

Integration with JIRA could be more advanced. In our company we use kanban boards and it would be a great feature if we could prepare tickets from Rollbar to automatically have every necessary field filled in.

We rely on Rollbar for great client-side error logging

Reviewed on 2018/04/18

Rollbar let us drop in an SDK that automatically wired up to capture browser errors without a ton of work on our end, which was a huge time-saver.

Pros

Rollbar is great for logging client-side javascript errors (although they can also log errors from a bunch of other sources), and we use their source-map feature to have useful error reports on our minified code. Rollbar also has useful alerting for when a new issue crops up, or an issue crosses a threshold for number of times seen. When we've gone to them for support we've found it to be great.

Cons

Rollbar is reasonably good at de-duping the same errors and grouping them into a single item, although that's not yet flawless. They've also got a query language that we've used a little but, although in our experience it is pretty slow to return results (which could totally be on us).

Volodymyr B.

Robust reporting tool

Reviewed on 2019/05/04

Use this tool on one big project for all platforms (backend, web, mobile) and it is good enough to cover your needs in errors or debug info reporting. At the first glance it looks like it lacks features compared with other platforms, but after some time you understand that the product has everything you would need for successful project state monitoring.

Pros

Love the minimalistic UI, which keeps everything clear and understandable.
Developers constantly add new features, like automatic events grouping, etc.
Love to have all platforms on one Dashboard to look at reported error from different platforms point of view.

Cons

The quality of Android SDK isn't the top tier with not enough options for event reporting. Also had to so some adjustments for test suits, since in some cases the SDK wouldn't initialize correctly.

Tung F.

Get notified for issues

Reviewed on 2018/10/27

Pros

I like that it sends notifications if something goes wrong and your team can stay alert about it. It's pretty nice to know if something is down or something isn't working. We also use it to track custom events when some logic isn't behaving as expected. For example when server returns a new Key value that is not handled on client side.

Cons

The notifications customization is pretty hard and not clear. I tried to turn off some part but I couldn't do it only to myself. You (seems) can only turn it off for the "team". So I end up creating a filter in Gmail.

Best-In-Class Error Reporting

Reviewed on 2018/10/03

Rollbar is an absolutely fantastic service and highly-responsive support if you ever hit an issue, all at a very reasonable price point. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Pros

- Easy integrations make setup a breeze
- Ability to filter errors by environment and assigned level make management great
- Deployment tracking, view errors by user, search errors using SQL-like syntax, deobfuscation of stack traces - more features than you can shake a stick at

Cons

- Automatic grouping of errors leaves something to be desired, but this is can be worked around by marking these errors manually

Amanda josalene W.

Works fantastic for my business & our website!

Reviewed on 2019/03/11

Overall, Rollbar has worked great for my business and our website, and if any problems ever arise with the software, they have an excellent support team that responds quickly and accurately.

Pros

Rollbar was very easy to learn and to navigate, which was a massive plus. Having our own website programmed from the ground-up, it was crucial we had a software that detected and located any errors and/or bugs within our website so they could be fixed/eliminated. Rollbar provides real-time bug tracking, which saved us and our programmer LOADS of time as we located any issues quickly and prevented any possible website crashes/any unnecessary downtime.

Cons

I don't have any cons; Rollbar has helped us to the fullest extent.

Avishai W.

Must-have debugging tool for any app

Reviewed on 2016/12/14

Rollbar has been helpful to us in all of our web app development projects. We currently use it across 3 different applications. Using Rollbar has saved countless hours of debugging and helped us fix bugs much faster than before.

Easy to integrate (5 minutes) into apps.

I've found the UI to be far more intuitive than others.

Pros

Very quick to install, intuitive configuration and easy to understand UI.

Cons

Not much :-)

Matic J.

A must-have for high-availability systems and SaaS

Reviewed on 2017/01/28

At Nightwatch.io, we are genuinely impressed by the error tracking power that Rollbar provides us. With its numerous integrations, we pipelined the error messages directly to our chatroom so we can eradicate bugs right away. It's one of those systems that are so useful you don't even think about not using them when starting a new programming adventure.

Pros

No downtimes, efficient, excellent reports

Cons

Web interface could perhaps use a refreshment

Johnathan R.

Solid error tracking service

Reviewed on 2015/11/19

Our team has been testing Rollbar as a possible replacement for Honeybadger and has liked it enough to decide to make the switch! Some of the features that stood out to us:

* Better UI/UX in general that makes the app feel more comfortable to use

* Pricing is more affordable (assuming a reasonable number of events per month)

* Powerful notification settings, letting us set up different issue severity and only receive notifications on what matters most (more signal, less noise)

* Mute option (another way to cut down on the noise)

* More logical error grouping (especially for JavaScript errors)

* More powerful options for auto-resolving and cleaning up old errors

* Nice "person tracking" functionality to see who is affected by various errors

* Good asynchronous error reporting options in the Ruby adapter

* RQL query language for powerful searching (although it's still a little rough around the edges)

We ran into a few minor annoyances:

* The gem providing Resque support is developed by a third-party and doesn't seem to get much use (1 watcher and 4 stars as of the time of this review). Honeybadger provides native Resque support in the official Ruby gem.

* There doesn't seem to be any search functionality on the documentation page.

* No documentation and a slightly unintuitive workflow for one of the integrations we use.

Overall, Rollbar looks like a solid service that was easy to set up, easy to use, and has some powerful features for searching through past error data. We're looking forward to making the switch.

Viktor J.

Haven't used nano php_error.log since I started to use this program

Reviewed on 2017/03/29

Starting to use a consolidating error log was a game changer for our developer (and the users of our site). In our company, we try to spend every Thursday to eliminate all the bugs from the site and categorise them as Error or Warning and give them better titels.

Pros

Reading a long log-file make any sense

Cons

As an owner of a start-up, I wish the price was a little bit better if the free version isn't enough.

An effective tool for catching mistakes in published code.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/04/06

Customer Service is hilarious! They will walk it with you and they actually have personality! So happy to work with CSR on a regular basis.

Pros

Rollbar is a technical support team's dream. I rarely walk past our tech department and fail to see this on their screens. It allows you to monitor errors that your clients are experiencing and triage them appropriately. Sometimes Rollbar can help solve the problem with little diagnosis when consistent issues arise. I love the free plan that allows you to view 5,000 errors each month. For a small operation, this may be enough.

Cons

After moving on from the free plan, the cost can be prohibitive. While the cost does increase, you do get what you pay for. We have spent time on all 3 plans that Rollbar offers, and have found our happy medium on Essentials.

M. serhat D.

Using to to monitor Rails apps

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

Pros

Free package comes with high limits, Github integration is satisfying, easy to setup and manage.

Cons

Honestly, nothing so far. Rollbar is the best option when compared to other alternatives, in terms of price/value rate. Most projects can use free version of the Rollbar without any hassle.

Best tool to monitor errors

Reviewed on 2018/12/01

Pros

Rollbar reached us out when they detected a problem on our production site and provided their help which was an awesome experience.

Installing Rollbar on our Rails app was very painless.

Love the email notication, as soon as someone sees the error Rollbar send email alert which helps to resolve issue faster.

Cons

We noticed that Rollbar also considers AJAX request in page load time, we need an option to disable this.

Ben K.

Reliable Exception Handling

Reviewed on 2016/08/22

I switched to Rollbar as an alternative for my side projects since Logentries doesn't offer a free tier. Logentries has a complicated, real-time UI. Sometimes that UI can feel a bit laggy if you've got a lot of logs coming in. Rollbar doesn't have this kind of complex UI so it feels faster and simpler. I'm beginning to prefer it over Logentries.

Pros

The ability to know which user experienced a problem when using the software before the user reports the bug. Combining that with the debug information, I'm empowered to follow up with the user about the problem notifying them of a potential fix even when they never submitted a bug report.

Cons

I love the free plan, but the next plan they offer is $30/mo. I wish there were more side-project-friendly pricing options. $30/mo for a project I host for free and is open source is a bit much.

Gercek K.

Great Monitoring Tool

Reviewed on 2017/05/25

Pros

We have been using Rollbar for over a year now and it has been really helpful for our engineering team.

One of the best features is the solutions tab which provides community answers to common problems.

Highly recommended.

Cons

Free plan is just not enough for bootstrapping startups. I wished there was some sort of pay as you go model.

Pablo J.

Great error tracking software

Reviewed on 2016/10/14

I'm using Rollbar since 2014, and it's the greatest tool for track errors into my RoR application. It says to me when an error happen, where and who. I saved a lot of money thanks to rollbar, 100% recommended.

Pros

Very easy to use

Kyle C.

Rollbar is easy to set up and provides peace-of-mind that you'll know if users hit errors

Reviewed on 2017/08/08

Visibility into application errors and peace-of-mind that the team will get notified of any issues

Pros

The setup is easy, and the product is very feature-rich. It is powerful and integrates with popular tools (e.g. Github, Slack) to tie into your team's processes. I like being able to push errors from different platforms and languages into one system for alerting and reporting.

Cons

The UI generally stays out of your way, but this can make configuring certain things a bit tough (e.g. custom error groupings uses a JSON configuration).

Sergey Y.

We have implemented it in our startup weblium.com. This allowed us to see all errors centrally in on

Reviewed on 2017/08/30

Pros

1. Reporting all exceptions and errors
We just add simple Rollbar code and it catches all unhandled exceptions. Very useful and simple feature, that we use.

2. Custom error reporting.
We add some asserts on the most complex part of the code, to catch potential logic errors at the very beginning.

3. Real-time log.
When you have to test the production. Instant error logging helps save time.

4. Assign Owner
Each error can be assigned to the developer and can be marked as resolved when done. Very useful.

5. RQL Console
The new tool, it allows us to create detail data queries.
Very powerful tool for the analysis of problem areas in our code.

Cons

Price plans based on the number of requests. But if your project didn't have a lot of errors all looks good.