NCR Counterpoint

3,6
3,6
Daniel C.
Industry: Restaurants

My main Point of Sale system.

Reviewed on 2020/03/25

It has really helped to be able to keep track of previous customers and what they have purchased. It helps me auto fill orders or if I am not dealing with my usual contacts I can pull up their account to decrease confusion.

Pros

I use this product daily for my Point of Sale system. It allows me to keep track of customer purchases as well as inputting invoices for billables. I enjoy how easy it to pick up and learn and it is very customizable.

Cons

As far a basic uses it is very easy but getting into more complicated reports can be a task. They do provide support in the form of manuals and customer support but I would prefer maybe an in house tutorial to help you understand the more complicated tasks.

Kevin S.

Counter Point POS for the Small Business

Reviewed on 2016/10/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

This product has many functions but has limited functionality of the functions. NCR could have done a much better job researching the market and finding out what functionality should have been included. Features that have either limited ability or the ability was grossly under developed causes issues. The application runs slow, the back office operations are extremely limited, the receiving process is underdeveloped and quiet frankly the entire application is remedial. This product CAN become a top notch application if the features were added to the base system. For example QBE (query by example) has been common place in application for the last 16 years and is non-existent in this application. The base reports that come with the system does not even have a simple re-order report that would merely query the min and max and current balance. I have been in the IT industry as a developer for 27 years and have seen the best to worst applications. This one sits right in the middle!

Pros

Has a good interface , easy to change the screen design of the touchscreen buttons. Has minimal maintenance to keep it running. Allows integration from an interface. Close out process is simple. Easy to setup . And the number one Pro is that it integrates seamlessly to NCR Retail Online application which I am building right now. And that product is a very competent solution. All orders process back down into the Counterpoint POS!

Cons

Security application module control is lacking functionality, Integration interface has limited functionality for populating and correcting sub tables, querying is limited for end user setup, multi-pricing on a grid level does not come with the base system!!!!! REALLY, what do you think a clothing store needs are? Rules base sales transactions application is so full of holes it would sink if it were a boat! The contract management and vendor management is almost non-existent.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Industry: Retail

Solid product, slow for patches and updates

Reviewed on 2018/07/18

Dependable product that was easy to customize and fit within the budget required.

Pros

Counterpoint is a solid reliable product, easy to use for the end users. Dependable where it counted.

Cons

Getting patches to fix issues, or compliance patches often took many more months than perdicted. This resulted in missed deadlines and a decreased experience for customers.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Glen S.
Industry: Wine & Spirits

POS Highway and NCR Counterpoint - Best System for Wineries, Liquor Stores, Wine Tasting, &Wine Club

Reviewed on 2017/07/13

Importing customer data from a loyalty program is simple, any database that can batch out a CSV or XLS file can be imported into Counterpoint without any hassle or programming

Cashiers can update a customer's card on file in under 10 seconds

Counterpoint Mobile for off-site events and markets is easy and effective. The staff at the event has full access to the items, customers, and pricing at the event. Sales are tendered to a drawer that can be reconciled from the main site at the end of the day.

Automatic discounting has reduced our transaction time at the registers by 15 percent.

We are able to set levels of discounts on the back-end so that our cashiers rarely ever have to override a price.

We are able to manage inventories at three different locations easily and eliminate our old inventory management software. Now we can run a month to month inventory all from the POS and fill out our tax forms in a quarter of the time.

Halved the time it took to write up and invoice an order

We can run a customer report of people that purchased 12 or more bottles of a specific wine in the last year and then email those customers specifically about a new release.

Pros

A year ago, our company switched from Microsoft Dynamics to NCR Counterpoint with the help of the staff at POS Highway. Admittedly, we were nervous.

We found the transition process to be smoother than we ever could have expected, and that is in part thanks to the intuitiveness of Counterpoint, but mainly due to the excellent preparation, training, and support from the staff at POS Highway

We are now in love with the features of Counterpoint, and are always planning what to do next with all the features that are available.

As a vineyard, winery, and tasting room, we were looking for a POS that could handle e-commerce, have little to no learning curve for our staff, and open up doors of possibilities that were not possible with our last POS. Counterpoint delivered in spades.

Importing customer data from a loyalty program is simple as well. Basically, any database that can batch out a CSV or XLS file can be imported into Counterpoint without any hassle.

Revenue and inventories are adjusted when the wine is shipped or picked up, simplifying the whole process. The back-end nuts and bolts are simple and intuitive, and on the front end of things, cashiers have no problem releasing a paid order for pickup or shipping.

All in all, POS Highway has helped us grow our business by helping us take advantage of all that Counterpoint has to offer.

Cons

In all honesty, we found very few things to dislike about the software. I would suggest some UI tweaks or touch up because it does look obsolete, but that isn't a reason to judge the functionality and capabilities of the system. It simply WORKS, and works well.

Claudette H.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

NCR Counterpoint is a robust, reliable and user friendly software

Reviewed on 2018/05/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Good software for retails businesses as well as workplace cafeterias.

Pros

1. Wide ranging functionality with reliability
2. Easy to upgrade
3. Error messages provide solutions
4. Easily queried database
5. In built Export and Import options

Cons

1. Forms customization not inbuilt
2. Database size limitation with SQL Server Express
3. There are extensive setup options so implementation of several modules may be tedious.

Terri T.

Reviewed on 2012/01/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our organization is a non-profit organization, but has a specialized shop. Our shop hours are not normal retail and our customers are sometimes very demanding. Our inventory ranges from thousands of patches to clothing, jewelry, etc. We have used CounterPoint since 2005. Our shop previously had a cash register and the old source of look and order on inventory. In 2005 the shop was handed over to new management, who researched and concluded to use CounterPoint. I have been at this shop for over two years and transferred from another shop that also used CounterPoint. We had version 7.5 until this past August and we upgraded to SQL. Version 7 was great to work with but SQL is so much more... We are able to resource more reports than before, with the ease of being able to have the help menu available.

The training of staff was so easy and quick to pickup. My staff and myself have had such a great time adapting to the new software. It is so easy to track inventory, sales, customers, and again the use of many new and different reports that help us on a daily basis. Our favorite is the 2 or 3 steps at the End of Day, with the older version there were so many steps and this is 1,2,3 and complete. Our support team is highly professional and always answers our calls in a timely manner. We are also excited because we do not HAVE to call them as much now with the new SQL. I would highly recommend CounterPoint to anyone who asks.

Donal C.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Counterpoint, it's a thing.

Reviewed on 2015/07/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

This is a great point of sales system, I enjoy it because it is very easy to use during check-out, and makes it really simple to find certain items via the items tab whether you know the item number, or a part of the description, or the name of the item it's all great fun.

Cons

Navigation of Counterpoint can be a little iffy sometimes when you're trying to do something specific that Counterpoint may not accommodate for certain functions. As well, trying to find an old ticket freezes up our computers on occasion since we've had so many sales the system freezes, but we have some old computers anyways.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Liz B.

One of the Best!

Reviewed on 2017/02/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We used NCR for a while and we're very happy with it! Unfortunately we had to discontinue it due to a new chip reader we had to get, due to fraudulent transactions. At the time, NCR didn't work with our merchant processor. At the time of service, customer service was great. Always someone available to help which is very important! And they were based in the US. I am hopeful we can go back to NCR in the future!

Mark M.

WRONG SYSTEM FOR OUR BUSINESS

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

NONE

Pros

THE POS FRONT END OF SYSTEM IS OK NOT MUCH

Cons

WE ARE A WHOLE SALE RETAIL GARDEN CENTER . THIS SYSTEM NOT DESIGNED TO MANAGE ACCOUNTS AT ALL ,YOU HAVE TO CLICK AROUND ALL OVER TO FIND DIFFERENT INFO THAT SHOULD BE ACCESSIBLE FROM SAME SCENE , DIFFICULT TO ADJUST INVENTORY, OR CHANGE COST , I'VE BEEN IN THIS BUSINESS FOR 30 YEARS AND USED VARIES OTHER POS/CMS SYSTEM THIS IS THE WORSE !!!! AND MOST EXSPENSIVE POS(PIECE OF SHIT ) I'VE EVER USED ,WHOEVER WROTE THIS PROGRAM KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT HOW A BUSINESS LIKES THIS WORKS OPERATES , IT'S FOR RESTAURANT,OR CLOTHINGS STORES (MAYBE) BUT NOT FOR OUR BUSINESS OR ANY OTHER LIKE IT. THE COMPANY THAT SOLD IT TO THE OWNWERS DID NO RESEARCH OR ASK ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR NEEDS . THEY JUST STUCK A SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE AND ASKED 60K. I WOULDN'T RECCOMMEND IT

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Katherine K.
Industry: Restaurants

I enjoy working with NCR Counterpoint

Reviewed on 2015/06/29
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I really enjoy how simple, straightforward and user-friendly this system is...it makes tasks easy and clear. I find that I can easily accomplish tasks through this system, and have plenty of time left over to do other things that I need to get done at work. As a trainer at my company, I also find that training new employees to utilize NCR Counterpoint is relatively easy.

Cons

I wish that the graphics were a bit more catchy and colorful. I find that though I like the simplicity of NCR Counterpoint, including the visual aspect of it, it would be fun if it got a graphic makeover. I've been utilizing it for almost 2 years now, and am slightly bored of the graphics...just being totally honest.

Mary jane S.
Industry: Retail

This system stinks. Do not waste your money.

Reviewed on 2019/03/27

Absolutely HORRIBLE!
Do not use them
You will regret it.

Pros

Absolutely nothing. Too many steps to do a simple task.

Cons

I was forced to upgrade to the new NCR Counterpoint.
One would think that after 10 years the upgrade would be far superior than the originsl one. . Instead, it is repetitive , redundant and plain stupid. They also force you to use a specific credit card processing company and if you choose your own Ncr doubles their month transaction fee.
Do Not Use NCR
It’s by far the worst decision I ever made for my company

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Caleb D.

Reviewed on 2011/07/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We love our CounterPoint system! We have had in use for about a year and a half with no problems at all. Being a small business owner I have to spend a lot of time working. Since we purchased our system I have more time to focus on selling products and marketing my business, not to mention I get more time at home with my family.

The new system makes ordering and reordering easier than ever. The inventory management application is amazing. With one click you can see what you have and what you need. When it comes time to perform the physical count of inventory it is so simple, what used to take a week now takes a day.

The software has so many things that streamline the day-to-day operations. It is capable of telling me anything and everything that is going on in the store at any time. We can see where we are from day to day and year to year.

Ankhang H.

Not too shabby.

Reviewed on 2015/07/22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Big, easy to navigate buttons, and easy to locate items through inventory system

Cons

Could be our servers, but sometimes it takes a while to load windows, scrape for items.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Bo L.

Overall a good tool

Reviewed on 2014/12/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The design and interface is slick and user friendly, also the keyboards.The software is robust and runs smoothly in almost all occasions. The product is compact compared to the products from other suppliers. I must say, this is a very good tool for cashiers, accountants, it is worth the money spent.

Cons

The display panel could be larger, and the processing speed needs to be improved.

David M.

CounterPoint at Learning Express

Reviewed on 2014/10/09
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The software was easy to learn, performs exactly as we expected, and gives us a modern, state-of-the-art POS system. The vendor was very knowledgeable and executed the data conversion flawlessly.

Cons

Updates are expensive and require additional installation expenditures. The vendor charges some ludicrous prices for supplies, and they are expensive on support. It sometimes feels that we are being nickeled and dimed.

Shahbaz K.
Industry: Wholesale

User friendly but not very practical

Reviewed on 2016/11/08
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

As a Buyer & Inventory Control Manager I have to use it on a daily basis but it does not serves my purpose on a larger scale.

Pros

User Friendly, Easy to use

Cons

Not compatible with many scanners and RFID's.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Peregrine B.
Industry: Farming

Installation Support

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/07/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The very friendly and knowledgeable staff. (OneStepRetail) Systems ability to perform all aspects of POS and Inventory management.

Cons

Expensive, although I don't have much to compare it too. There seems to be multiple on-going costs for hosting server, CSS, etc.

Reyes S.
Industry: Retail

Good for simpler needs, but is slow for more complex tasks

Reviewed on 2015/07/22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

It's easy to check on inventory at our home and remote locations. Payment processing is straightforward. Printing labels and price tags is simple.

Cons

It's difficult to reprint old invoices or find the history of a product without clicking on menus, some of which are cryptically named. It is slow during peak usage times.

Mark S.

Nothing very special

Reviewed on 2016/04/21

It gets the job done, but not in any way that really sets it apart from the other POS systems I have tried. Additionally our IT team seems to have a hard time getting any new features rolled out

Chantal S.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

It has been a bad transition from Counterpoint on line.

Reviewed on 2017/09/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I can't wait to switch over to something new. I am getting no resolution on my issues and all I get from support is no support at all.

Cons

I have experience problems with all aspect of this software. Orders are being lost and irretrievable. pricing is not moving from counterpoint to the website. WE have to manually import orders. very unhappy

Mark S.

Mark's review after using CounterPoint for nearly 5 years

Reviewed on 2015/07/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I can't really say that there is one feature that stands out in a good way. It satisfies a need but it could be simpler, easier to use, faster, better looking, less prone to freezing or just outright crashing. I don't have an opinion of the vendor as I've never dealt with them.

Cons

My least favorite part of this software is the inventory search window. I'm more likely to understand a cipher than the way it organizes things there.

Matt H.

Helps improve bottom line

Reviewed on 2014/12/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Well-designed software program. It's intuitive to use, and it's very easy to use and train employees.

Cons

Some unnecessary software that we do not use in our daily use.

Jacque B.

Reviewed on 2012/10/03
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

This system is the worst I have ever had and I have only had two in twenty one (21) year. There is know reason that this company should not have a manual or how about a help button that really work. This is really funny I printed out a report but I for got were it was on the system. So I went to help and put in the name of the report and it said it was not there. If you have a question and need to call tech suport it will cost you a arm and a leg for the information were if you had a manaual or a help button that really work it would save you money.

Lars C.

A Review On NCR Counterpoint

Reviewed on 2016/04/21

We have been using NCR Counterpoint at our computer retail store for years now, and despite some of the flaws, it has been an invaluable tool for our daily operations. It's not too complicated to learn how to use this, if you devote some time to learn the different features & procedures necessary for functionality. It is mostly reliable and stable, barring a few instances where it can seem unstable or glitchy. Didn't have a chance to use customer service, so I can't really comment on that. Our internal IT takes care of all the issues, and they seem to be able to be resolved fine, so I can only give 3 stars.

Pros

NCR Counterpoint is able to keep track of past retail sales tickets and invoices, as well as allowing to reprint past receipts/invoices through various search filters. NCR Counterpoint also allows us do a quick refund after return on the customer's same card swiped, as long as it is on the same day. NCR Counterpoint has a way to quickly view the available inventory stock for a particular item across all of our registered store locations.

Cons

Sometimes NCR Counterpoint will crash when minimized or hidden, and you would immediately lose the ticket that you are working on, making it unable to be recovered at all. NCR Counterpoint also closes the Ticket Query/Entry window automatically after making and order or quote, it would be better if it stayed open so you can quickly jump to the next ticket without having to retype your password all the time.

Michael B.
Industry: Retail

a very scalable and configurable solution.

Reviewed on 2018/08/01
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Report filters are all customizable and written using the industry standard "crystal reports" report writer so any report can be changed. All forms are customizable as well.

Cons

Can't take manufacture's coupons in a grocery environment. Gateway fees for merchant card processing can be pricey for businesses that are high volume like grocery stores.