Clover Reviews

Clover

Comprehensive point of sale & business management solution

3.6/5 (143 reviews)
David F.

An out of the box solution that works well for small business

Reviewed on 2018/03/31
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Clover is an excellent and good looking choice for a small to medium size business in need of a reliable and cost effective solution. You will be pleased as I have been. The system offers quite a bit of integrations and once implemented you will be amazed at the power of this system. I wish we could have linked all stores together but we were only allowed three machines to link per location. Overall, an excellent POS!

Pros

I was in search for s POS for three thrift stores my nonprofit operated. The old cash register no longer fits the internal control environment and a switch was desperately needed. After researching multiple platforms I opted for Clover. The others were simply too expensive and too complex for our needs. The Clover system worked brilliantly and continues to power the sales desk at all three stores. Each store has three registers and we were able to link the three to the main server to aggregate totals for each store. Sales increased and customer satisfaction went up as well. Clover has a host of apps to integrate including inventory management, time and attendance, markdowns, and a customer loyalty program which was a hit with our customers. The Clover system is truly a remarkable POS for the price of entry. The sleek modern look keeps the cash wrap looking clean and updated. The Digital receipt and signature has cut down on paper waste and makes us feel like we are doing out part to create less stress on the environment. Overall this is a simple and powerful solution that powers millions in annual retail sales for the organization.

Cons

The one setback is the operating system is Android. I find Android to be clunky and prone to security threats. We had to ensure we had it on a secure network and well protected by firewalls. Additionally it took some time to learn the system. Disclaimer- we operated on a complete iOS ecosystem until we bright on Clover. So not a big setback just more learning.

Sylvia R.

Clover Pos

Reviewed on 2017/02/24
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

From the pos system itself, we are multistore, so that is added complications for the clover system. On the register side, looking up customer names is complicated, you type the last name, but cannot enter the full name or it will not find it, so you enter the last name and have to scroll through the list of lets say 50 last name of smith, takes way to much time, and really difficult on the mini with the small screen. To increase quantity you have to go to another screen and then back again, more time, If one person does a price check by entering an item because a customer wants the total with tax, even though you delete the item, or clear open order, if a second sales person then logs in to check someone out the order still reads with the first person doing the sale even though they logged out. From the dashboard side, no ability to print many things such as transfer slips from HQ to the other 3 stores, once it is transferred it is on the screen until the store accepts the item in, after that the info is gone, and you cannot access for questions, etc. the lack of alphabetical order on many functions, the tax functions, if you use different tax rate for each of our 3 taxing authorities, as we did (and would prefer) say you have 10,000. in sales, 3 tax rates, when they are done separately the total income would then become 30,000.00, so many of the reports are not accurate as they read.

Pros

clover has been making some updates in the months since we have been using them, which have been good and helpful, but much is needed to make it functional for a multistore, without having to pay way to much monthly for apps to do things

Cons

to get even what I would consider basic functions, purchase more apps that would raise the monthly cost out of reach, sometimes the apps will show different figures, when creating an item, for our multistore setting, I can create for all 4 locations at once, with name, label, category, cost, price, but the tax rate, I have to go into a different screen for each location and fix all tax rates, very time consuming

5.0/10
Mitchell P.

Reviewed on 2018/03/21

none

Pros

Functionality is ok but you have to pay for apps in order to do stuff which increases the price. User Friendly

Cons

customer service, price, merchant services available for the unit are limited and you get into first datas services. The only reason it get a 1 star is because there is no lower ranking. Terrible customer service. I was bamboozled in the beginning as I didn't know much about running a restaurant yet and contracted with Clover and First Data. I called today to get a payoff on my equipment (Countertop POS, Two minis, a countertop printer and a kitchen printer), after paying on it for almost two years. I had done the lease but I guess at some point I was so desperate to get a system set up that I missed that it costed I was focused on the lease price. Stay away! Then I was then raked over the coals with with First Data for over a year and a half where they were over charging my percentage. I fought for over a year and finally got refunded of wrongful billing because "a decimal ha d been moved when entering the rates" yet I called time and time again yelling about it and they couldn't find it but all of a sudden did. I know they owe me more but what can I do about it. It took me a year to get that back. Stay away if your smart - see all the bad reviews. There are much cheaper POS systems out there that have more functionality. You've been warned.

0.0/10

Best POS system I've ever used. Its easy for an owner to set up, staff to use and clients to pay.

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

I loved that it was easy for me to set it up and for the staff to use efficiently. It would even text, print or email the receipt to the client. As a business owner I also liked that I could print out my weekly earnings as well see it online.

Pros

It is so easy to set up online and add (mostly) free apps to help run your business. We bought our clover but their is some places that will let you finance it. For the price of the system I found it worth the money because it saved me time and it was easy for the staff and the clients to use. Even when the internet would go out it would take payments and then process them once it came back on. It was easy for me to set up categories so the staff could check people out fast and didn't have to look for a item too long. This system definitely saves time

Cons

The clover is just like a cellphone, if you drop it, it will break and you will have to replace it. They don't offer any kind of insurance to help replace just the screen. The receipt paper is expensive to buy though clover but you can find it on others sites for much cheaper. Some apps to help run certain businesses were a little expensive like to add your logo to the receipt was extra. Overall depending on your business some of the Clover apps to make the system easier for your staff can get pricy.

Tim H.

Not Fit to Handle Hospitality Industry

Reviewed on 2019/04/22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros: inexpensive, intuitive, malleable
Cons: wrong fit for hospitality, horrible support, horrible crisis management

Pros

Easy to set up, easy to train, while it has many lacking elements that would be essential to any other hospitality POS there are easy work arounds. Handheld devices are good.

Cons

The entire support and technical team is unfit to handle the hospitality industry. They are completely unaware and seemingly unconcerned about the issues that your staff on the floor must tackle with their system. It's painfully obvious a roomful of engineers comes up with forced changes that adversely effect their entire client base without an ounce of understanding the impact of the changes they make. I and others I know that use clover have said many times, if any of them had worked on the floor for 5 minutes they would understand.

2.0/10
Shelby Y.

Quick and easy to use and customizable.

Reviewed on 2017/10/11

Ease of use. Simplicity. Very user friendly.

Pros

I really like Clover because you start with a blank slate and customize it the way you want. The system has an app called Home base that keeps track of the time clock. We've had a couple minor problems with that here and there but overall it's great. Clover also has a market to purchase apps which is really cool. We've downloaded an app to reward our loyal customers. I also really like the swivel feature. When a customer gives you their card you can swivel the screen around to face them so they can sign. The system overall is a breeze and very easy to set up and use.

Cons

There's bit much to dislike about Clover. Customer support could be a but more helpful. I've had minor problems regarding the register not opening, but I just rebooted the system and it was fine.

Carol B.

Clover not a choice for retail, very misrepresented and pricey

Reviewed on 2016/09/22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

There is absolutely nothing that I like about this product except maybe the appearance and not too bad adding in stock that is already in the system.

Cons

This is marketed as a state of the art POS system with added capabilities through apps. However the base system is so limited that i would not even consider it a POS system, but more of an expensive payment processor. I had researched retail systems and most have lots of features and capabilities such as accepting unlimited bar codes, include a wide variety of detailed reports, inventory management including tracking of stock, re-orders, keeping track of back orders, client records, all kinds of very basic needs to a retail store. When the bank presented this system, I asked very specifically about its capabilities and gave very clear information on what I needed in a system. The rep assured me that it not only did all of the basics that I needed, but it also had apps that were available for customizing and expanding , such as going into also having an online sales presence. So, I feel it was either deliberately misrepresented or the rep is not trained at all on what the system offers and did not feel it important enough to get valid answers. The basic system does not even include basic necessary functions for retail. 1) it has a 15,000 bar code limit, plus other limits for categories and modifiers. - Their solution is for you to create new bar codes per item and just use the modifiers and what not to make up for it - however the modifiers and such also have limits. 2) it does not allow more than one wholesale cost per bar code. So if you obtain stock at differing prices due to seasons, volume, clearance, or price increases - the new prices over writes the original price put in. There is no way to have different cost for the same item. So again their suggestion is creating new bar codes for new pricing or to have a separate system for tracking cost of goods. 3) The reports are nominal. They look like ticker tape reports. No report gives information usable for a purchase order. I made the categories my suppliers so I could easily use the category report to reorder sold products, but the product and bar codes are not part of the report, so the only indicator of which item it is is the description and price. There are also few types of reports available compared to other systems I had looked at. 4) There is no purchase order capability in the base system, so also no way to track orders, back orders or way to easily know what to even order from sales or stock quantities. 5) I have had multiple times where items are put into inventory only to have them not show up when scanned at the register. Part of the time, I will go into the inventory app later and find the item with all of the necessary info there, but for some reason it is not getting picked up by the register app. Other times it isn't there and even after going back and re-entering again, I still have same problem, so I have resorted to running these items as a customer item which has further screwed up the accuracy of my inventory. 6) Due to various glitches (items not showing up in or possibly not even being subtracted properly from inventory) my inventory is nowhere close to accurate and at some point will have to be fixed. 7) To order or check inventory has to be done almost exclusively by physically going through my store to see what truly is in the store and what is needed and then typing up an order or report from that. 8) new inventory is all added manually rather than the scanner adding into the inventory app. So if you have two on the shelf, but two more you add it to make now 4. There is nothing that shows you who or what manually added or subtracted from the inventory app or when. You can assign specific access to specific functions, but I have found no oversight at all, there is no way to see what they are actually doing besides their name by the transaction they oversaw at the register. This is only the beginning of what this system lacks. 9) The only way to make up for these shortfalls is through the app store (which they had told me was for customizing, expansive needs - not basic functions). I still have yet to see anything that really covers everything this system lacks and each app costs monthly and I could easily be spending somewhere between $99 and $250/ month on an app - and its a thrid party app, that though approved, is not guaranteed, and then it is more customer service reps to deal with. I have been unable to get any decent or helpful responses from customer service reps just with the system itself - can't imagine what it would be like with glitches between apps and the system.On top of all of what the system does not do, I got mine though a lease which is way more expensive then it was presented to be, and the lease is "iron clad, unbreakable" with no guarantee the system works for my situation. I have taken it to corporate level and the best I have gotten so far is an apology that I have been inconvenienced but still denying me the ability to get out of the lease. This is so non-functional for a dance store with lots of shoes, that I will have to get another system while paying for this one while I fight to get it resolved. The only reason I leased this system was the answers given to me bto very thorough questions and it was 100% misrepresented. I hate dealing with tech anything by phone and it looked like a simple solution - on the ground set up and my bank, merchant services, POS all basically through the same place. What a disaster it has been. Has made everything more time consuming then if I had just had a basic old fashioned register and done books handwritten and not had to spend so much. The purpose of the point of sale system was to simplify book keeping and have all of the inventory, purchase orders, client info, etc. all in one system. This does absolutely nothing well except possibly process the payments - at what is seeming like pretty high fees.

1.0/10
Mark G.

Customer Service, Where are you?

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

Pros

I love that it's tablet based so it makes the learning curve really easy for myself and my employees. All the programs are operated as apps and the navigation is what you'd expect from an android device so even my Apple users have no problem navigating the system.

The system has an integrated scale, that works really well for the type of transactions that we do on a daily basis. We have 2 of the units in our store and they are always communicating, so we can start the transaction on one system and finish it on another without having to start all over again.

It's easy to find customer information and expedite their deliveries.

Cons

No tiered pricing. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Expect long wait times and unanswered questions.

Calvin H.

Excellent POS company!!

Reviewed on 2016/10/13

My partners and I decided on Brilliant POS after extensive research and are very happy with our decision. Having been in the restaurant industry for many years we were looking for a fresh new look that still had all the features as the old traditional POS systems. We found that with Brilliant POS and their Clover system was the perfect fit for our full service restaurant/bar and at a great price point.

Simple for employees to learn and use software, great reporting to keep us aware of how the business is operating on a financial level as well as controlling our inventory and ordering onsite or from anywhere since Clover is cloud based, but still works if the internet goes out.

Our Brilliant POS sales reps was knowledgeable and quick to respond before we decided to go with them and after the fact for setup process, installation, and training. 24/7 support answers quickly and I can send a request for a technician to call direct from the POS station and they always call right away.

Brilliant POS made the process easy and helped us tackle hurdles along the way. There were a few hiccups, but they made it seem easier. Highly recommended.

Easy to use, perfect for small business.

Reviewed on 2018/03/23

Pros

I like that clover has a pretty simple UI that is aesthetically pleasing. I know, its shallow, but lots of POS systems out there are horrible to look at! Clover is also very intuitive, there are lots of options, but you can sort of pick and choose how complicated you want your system to be.

Cons

This could have been a connectivity issue, but our Clover software went offline quite often. It wasn't ever for long, but at least every couple of days. Additionally, the UI would change without any apparent prior notice. (Maybe we weren't receiving updates?)

Chanelle P.

Simple to use. Time is MONEY.

Reviewed on 2018/03/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Highly recommend. I’m a small business owner and this system was very easy to implement in my office.

Pros

This product is super simple to use. We use the Clover mini. With different people taking payments at different times of the day, it is really simple to track who took what payment. Each user gets a unique PIN that enables us to keep tract of who is doing what.

Cons

This isn’t even really a con because there is a solution to my problem, but the clover mini does not “remember” customers from day to day. We have repeat customers, so I would like it to remember the email they want their receipt sent to. I can download an app to take care of this, but I really wish it was native to the system.

Scott C.

Clover POS is NOT for retail

Reviewed on 2017/06/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We own a boutique where we also offer screen printing and embroidery. The clover system was sold to us as full POS system. Not the case at all. We were all excited to get started with it. It looked modern, cool, and expectations were high. When we tried to ring up our first printing order of more than 100 pieces we found our first issue. The system will not allow sales of items with a quantity of more than 100. Not a good thing when we routinely sale t-shirt orders of more than 100 shirts. We either had to make up multiple skus, which made a receipt look terribly unprofessional or make an invoice on word. Then I wanted to run a report on inventory value. Not possible. You can export a report to excel but good luck with that. My wife and I have both called customer support. We were both told that when enough people complained about the same issue, they may look into a fix. Until then, nothing would change. This was after going through multiple customer service reps who didn't even understand what I was asking for help with. When asked if we could return the 2 POS systems we bought we were literally told "they're yours, you bought them, do what you want with them, you could try selling them on ebay". Needless to say, at this point, POS and Clover have a whole new meaning for us. Definitely not "Point of Sale" or "Lucky Clover". We're currently looking for another option, over a lot of frustration later.

Pros

It looks nice, fairly easy to use. It's really hard for me to think of much good to say about it. When a POS won't run and inventory value report with totals and won't ring up items with quantities over 100, it's hard to find the Pros.

Cons

Won't process quantities over 100. Customer service is horrible. Can't run an inventory value report. Customer service is not knowledgeable at all. Seems anything you need is an add on app that cost you more. Did I say Customer service is horrible...

Alessandro P.

Payments easy way!

Reviewed on 2018/08/08

Good product!

Pros

I use this product since 2 years and for small business it is very good specially to process payments easy way. You can manage different users and assign roles, see transactions, refunds, sales, reporting, among others.

Cons

Using Clover POS you need Internet connection in order to process payments, otherwise you won't be able to hold or take any money from your customer.

Jose R.

Great retail POS that provides the ultime customer experience

Reviewed on 2019/07/11
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

fully customizable, mobility and touchscreen, immediate integration with many payment processing options, inventory management and SKU customization, online receipt storage and SMS confirmation. All in all, it's a great product that helps a lot any retail merchant.

Cons

Initial investment to be considered, both at the hardware device as well as the software integration/customization and SKU managemet. The benefits outweight that initial investment and a small merchant may need to consider a managed solution.

Tory S.

money hungry company

Reviewed on 2017/07/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I purchased these clovers in full and was to have a one year warranty. but every time one didn't function right they charged me for every one they sent me in first year. didn't need key pads tried to send back and they kept wanting my scanners returned instead. had to take to BBBural to get money back for just one and they still owe me for the other. credit card service is way above other card swipe price. tried to talk to customer service talked to one high level rep. twice then they would not respond to my issues and that was before the BBB. it bad that you have to turn them in to BBB to get a response and they still never called me. something went wrong with my compliance last year and they were to have someone contact me to clear it up. again this year I tried to become compliant again there was a problem they were suppose to email me with solution to the fix 3 months ago I'm still waiting and they charge me 10.00 a month for being non-compliant. would you recommend this device if you hade these issues? Tried to switch bank accounts for the clover was told I couldn't do it had to pay 20.00 to put a block on account to force them to switch accounts. finally was contacted by Stephen the rep that sold me these devices yesterday 7/11/2017. he called out of the blue and not a response to these issues I am skeptical that any of these issues will be addresed

Pros

Quick use of device when it functions has been better in last 6 months 111111111111111111111111111

Cons

Half of inventory data moved out of category. ease of saving data without excel not possible. 111111

Misty F.

Awesome

Reviewed on 2017/02/23
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Fast easy cool design mobile devices ! It doesn't run off communication with other computers like our previous system, it runs alone , communicates via internet like an app, so this makes for no interruptions in device like previous system . If we had one computer down with old system it would stop business but this system runs smooth with one computer shit down or turned off , doesn't stop us !

Cons

Wifi dependent it does depend on internet to run , unless you download the At and t service to your mobiles but we have excellent service here so that's rarely and issue , but like I said there is a way around that prob with the at&t download I just am cheap

Benjamin R.

Easy to use Point Of Service terminals. Great for business.

Reviewed on 2018/05/16

Makes accepting credit cards easy

Pros

Not locked in with a credit card prepossessing company. There are multiple ways to use the terminal. I use the Clover Go terminal, it accepts swipes, chips, self entry, and tap (ApplePay, etc) payments. The app is easy to use and there is a companion app for tracking various aspects of your business.

Cons

I had to pay for the terminal. The app is a little clunky and it forces you to change your password with some frequency.

Michelle G.

Easy to set up. Easy to use. Quick to get going from box to the sales floor.

Reviewed on 2018/03/17

Pros

The system is scalable depending on business size. You don't need to be a large business to use this system. You are able to add additional features later on as your business grows.

Cons

Most of the features work with the food industry. Would like to see more additional items and templates for retail stores.

Michael P.

Easy to use system from the time you plug it in. Has been reliable for use for almost 2 years.

Reviewed on 2018/06/20

Instant and easy to use POS that anyone can learn in a matter of minutes.

Pros

Easy to use with features that can improve inventory / customer efficiency / reordering.
Software was very affordable as well.

Cons

Software has some apps that do not communicate with Clover efficiently. One such app INVOICEASAP is the only billing app that Clover offers and their two inventories do not communicate automatically with each other. There are also lots of small fees that can add up monthly.

7.0/10
Katarina F.

Clover

Reviewed on 2016/11/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We got Clover POS terminal for our diner. We added Clover mini and we took down old kitchen wheel and replaced it with printer connected to POS system. Could not be happier with our choice. System upgrades by itself with no extra charge. At the beginning we spent quite some time on the phone with support. I am proficient user of Aloha and system was new to us. eryone was very helpful. Tech team was able to log in with our permission into system and fix or adjust anything and everything we needed. Without additional chargers.
Only thing we don't like about it is emloyees are able to open tables and access other functions without being clocked in. They r able as well access each others tables. We keep a close eye on the floor however with a larger operation I can see this being a sourse of problems.
Tracking sales, number of items sold, average ticket size, accurate reporting is a breeze.
Overall its a great system for the price we paid compared to other restaurant POS Systems out there.

Pros

Very self explanatory.
User friendly.
Intuitive.

Cons

Employees able to access each others tables.
Employees able to access functions without being clocked in.

Tara D.

Phone Repair Store's review of Clover

Reviewed on 2016/06/22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like the way the Clover looks. Very sleek and modern. I am most impressed with the reporting features.

Cons

The Clover system just is not suited very well for a repair shop environment. Our employees found the easiest way to ring up customers was to create custom transactions and type in a description for each transaction.

I was very disappointed that the Clover is not able to play video. We had several promotional videos we would like to play for our customers, but were unable to do so on the Clover system. I hoped there would be an app that would play video.

I was also disappointed in the high price of the Quickbooks sync app. For this reason, I have to manually input everything into Quickbooks.

4.0/10
Joni P.

Perfect for our Business

Reviewed on 2018/11/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The versatility that allows absolute customization with a wide variety of apps that are easily integrated.

Cons

Subscription prices for each app. it can quickly add up to a few hundred bucks and I wasn't happy with their poor customer service. Hard to get help when you need it.

Danyel T.

I am very happy

Reviewed on 2018/12/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I like the fact that there are so many options and it able to be synced with so many things There are alot of options and it is just very easy to use

Cons

As of right now I can not say I can think of any cons The product itself is very user friendly and its just very easy

Chanelle P.

Happy for many years

Reviewed on 2019/01/24
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I’ve been using Clover POS since I started my business a little over 2 years ago. 2 years later, I’m still super happy!

Cons

Manual card entry requires a signature. I’d Iike to be able to take payments over the phone without a signature and haven’t found a way to do that.

Matt O.

Reporting inconsistent, support is minimal, labor scheduling is good.

Reviewed on 2016/05/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Homebase app is excellent for labor scheduling. Homebase allows us to add new employees, build their roles and add availability for each employee. Then when our schedule is completed, we can text out each employees individual schedules to their cell phones.

Cons

Downtime is frequent, support is minimal, reporting is inconsistent. Clover is a young and sleek POS, but their hardware is run on wifi and can continuously crash or fail to process tickets from the tablets. I understand that turning tables is faster in theory with electronic cloud based technology, but when a server must stand in front of a table and have difficulty modifying the order because of so many screens to touch through and new screens to load (and buffering is an issue at times), the 'speed' is lost. In addition to hardware issues (printer dying in the middle of dinner rush), the reporting is confusing and not helpful. Where is the daily sales summary? We pay our servers' credit card tips out through net cash sales and there is no way to track this in Clover. We use QuickBooks Online for accounting, and to "reduce data entry" QuickBooks works with Clover through a third party app called CommerceSync, another inconsistent tool. All in all, if you have a problem with anything listed above, and you call for support, you will be greeted with suggestions of other third party apps to buy to fix the problems.. these are not solutions, they are just ways for Clover to make more money.

4.0/10