Mailgun Reviews

Mailgun

Transactional email API service for developers

4.5/5 (64 reviews)
Jon P.

Mailgun provides reliable email delivery and tracking software

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

We use Mailgun to send emails from multiple domains through our ERP system. Mailgun as given us noticeable improvement to our email metrics and tracking. I would recommend Mailgun to others.

Pros

Our ERP system added integration with Mailgun several years ago and our ability to track and verify emails had been delivered significantly increased. We noticed an immediate increase in our email delivered confirmations. This is significant for us as we send our monthly account billing statements through email. If our emails aren't delivered, we don't get paid. Mailgun also provided much superior email tracking so we can identify which emails weren't delivered and find another way to get in contact with our customer.

Cons

Our biggest limitation with Mailgun is with our ERP system and how they only chose to provided limited support to the many features Mailgun offers.

Aaron D.

Almost a necessity with server configs and email filters!

Reviewed on 2018/06/07

Mailgun ensures that emails sent from your site make it the destination email inbox and not the spam folder. Easy to use, free for the first 10,000 and has mail logs. All around, a great product!

Pros

Mailgun ensures that emails from your website actually make it to their destination. With their free tier covering the first 10,000 emails, it's a free solution to a prominent issue: emails getting stuck in email filters or not making it at all. Mailgun is easy to sign up for and easy to integrate into your site, especially if you are using WordPress. Absolutely love the mail logs too - that's come in quite handy on many an occasion.

Cons

As a web developer, I understand the need and value of Mailgun. It can be difficult for new users to understand this though.

Bruce B.

Rock solid delivery

Reviewed on 2019/02/03

Haven't had a complaint yet.

Pros

Configuring email is like conjuring drunk dragons with black magic: most of the time it only works so-so and any tiny mistake gets you burned. Mailgun has very good documentation on setting up your domain and configuring things so that your reputation is great and does not suffer. The REST API makes dealing with events a pleasure and the dashboard gives you great insight into where your mails are going to or coming from and why your audience is behaving the way it is.

Cons

There's not much not to like. The price is great (mostly free) and the documentation and reliability are 100%.

7.0/10

One of the best SMTP/API mail integration solutions

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

10,000 free emails a month, easy to use API, easy to integrate and send emails reliably.

Pros

Mailgun offers 10,000 free emails a month, which is much higher than a lot of the competing services in this category.
The web interface is clean and provides you with the information you need right on the landing page.
Integrates easy with many services and plugins exist for many platforms (eg Wordpress).
API is well documented.

Cons

While the Free tier of 10,000 emails a month is class leading, when you begin entering the paid tiers there are much cheaper alternatives available.
Email validation service is pricey for what it is.

Gonzalo B.

Finally, emails reaching their destination.

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

Overall great value for the free tier, 10.000 emails for free plus great deliverability and integration, great for Wordpress users.

Pros

When developing a custom PHP app or using Wordpress you often face the issue of your notifications and customer emails getting stuck or not passing the mails filters. This is a big issue, when for example you are sending out important information like an order confirmation or a ticket for your event and your users are not getting your emails or they are arriving into their SPAM folder.

Mailgun has proved superb on improving email deliverability and their logs are super helpful as well, you can track what went wrong if anything. Their interface is easy to use and to the point. Moreover, their free tier gives you 10.000 emails for use, for free. Something great for companies doing product research, I found their API easy to use and easy to integrate with my projects, Wordpress being the easiest: a plugin + an API key/secret. Regarding Wordpress I found Mailgun the best amongst options tried for email deliverability.

Cons

Cost of the paid tiers is pricey if you compare with the alternatives. Everything in Mailgun goes through their API, so if you need a Full UI alongside the API this might not be the best choice.

Reliable

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

Pros

I'm using mailgun for transnational emails and I'm very happy I never encountered any problem, the interface is very good and simple, I like the fact we can setup multiple domains in the same account. All in all it's the best!

Cons

Mailgun didn't notify me when my account was suspended for a verification and in that time I lost many emails that may have resulted in contracts if they were delivered! You need to check you account regularly to make sure everything is OK!

Michael H.

Robust SMTP API for your sites, with no comprimises

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/04/27

We use Mailgun alongside other services such as Mandrill and SendGrid, depending on our clients needs for their site/app.

Pros

Mailgun has a really easy to implement API (for devs) with a bunch of different languages support like curl, PHP, Java, etc. - Within minutes, we were running the PHP API on our app, and sending out transactional emails.

Also good for devs: the extremely in-depth official docs provided by Mailgun. Along with case examples, and demos, you'll be ready to go, even if you're a bit less experienced with implementing an API of this sort.

One of my favourite features is the email validation API, which easily integrates into your forms via jQuery, and uses the Mailgun API to validate email inputs as users type their email. We use it on all of our forms now!

Cons

It's worth noting that everything that operates through Mailgun is through API, unlike something like SendGrid which offers a full dashboard alongside their API. This may or may not be an issue for some people.

Héctor A.

Need email notification support? This is the one

Reviewed on 2018/11/04

Is easy to use, has great support and customer care is THE option for email notifications in your App/WebApp.

Pros

Easy to use! Supports integration with a lot of languages including PHP and Rails, we were able to use it in no time, They provide you with free mails monthly for when your startup is starting and is blazing fast, much better than connecting the app to a conventional email.

Cons

Nothing at all, hoping they can implement PWA notifications soon.

Ivan C.

One of the best email marketing solutions price wise

Reviewed on 2018/01/18

We send email marketing to our user base through Mailgun, monitor results, and save money when compared to other solutions that are more manual..

Pros

We use Mailgun to send to large email marketing lists because it's more affordable than many alternatives. The UX is pretty solid and the reporting tools are nice.

Cons

Sometimes there are things in the report that don't make sense like an open rate dropping considerably one day and then back to normal. We can't really tell what caused that. Also the open rate is lower than other tools that are not marketing based. So perhaps they're tagged as marketing server. Not sure there's any way around that and they take email server health seriously

Cost Effective Email Solution

Reviewed on 2018/12/19
Review Source

Pros

1) Customer Support, through the inbuilt ticketing channel is very prompt and often resolves queries within the first attempt. Even if you're running the account primarily on free credits.
2) Seems to be reasonably priced if you need to send more than 10,000 emails a month

Cons

1) Delivery reports are saved for only 30 days, and doesn't have a CSV download option with delivery statuses.
2) Dedicated IP address is prohibitively expensive

good for Transactional email and more

Reviewed on 2018/03/12

Pros

Mailgun's system is set up so well, and their SDKs for different languages are so complete, that these days I add a domain, add a Ruby gem, and my new Rails project has transnational email ready to go, highly deliverable, and I just don't worry about it after that. It just works.

Scott B.

Decent Transactional Email Service with Great Dashboard and Logs

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Pros

Easy to set up; attractive log and web dashboard UI that makes it easy to track and identify bounces and errors

Cons

Cost isn't as attractive as some other similar alternatives (i.e. SparkPost); customer support is sometimes hit and miss on the level of helpfulness/knowledgeably they provide

Harpaul S.

Best SMTP API available

Reviewed on 2018/06/06

Pros

Mail-gun lets you handle all you send any number of email using a simple rest API, who intgration is available in almost the leading technologies.Let Developers to focus to business logic, as it handles email part itself.

Cons

Never found any con till day, but once we had an issue, one of e-mail address which was deactivated for a small span of time, it stopped working with mail gun. that might be some kind of bug may be.

Excellent mail log makes tracking mail activity simple

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/09/24

We run software that includes both manually sent as well as automated email. Inevitably, users will either not receive or claim that they did not receive an email. This quickly helps alleviate those issues and show proof of delivery with timestamp.

Pros

I don't have a ton to benchmark Mailgun against but it's made my job much easier when needing to track our outgoing email. At it's simplest, I can quickly search for failed email messages or confirm that email was sent and received along with the content of the email.

Cons

There may be a way to filter or create saved filters that I'm not aware of, but I've been restricted to searching either by an email address or by an event type (ie Accepted, Delivered, Rejected, etc.) I do sometimes have to search for a bit to find what I'm looking for.

Tóbiás F.

My transactional mail provider

Reviewed on 2018/05/19
Review Source

Pros

I have searched a cheap, but reliable transactional mail provider for my various products, finally found it, and use it with delight.

Cons

I would be fond of a service if I can make responsive newsletters from templates with this provider.

Minakshi K.

E-Mail API for your project

Reviewed on 2018/09/18

Pros

Once you have connected your domain with mailgun, you will get mailgun secret key using which all your project and applications can send emails. It makes work a lot simpler and easy. Its client tools are available in all the leading technology platforms and integration is very easy.

Cons

Sometimes there can be some delay in receiving emails due to heavy loads on mailgun servers.

Florian P.

Great Email Service for Your Application Backend!

Reviewed on 2017/08/11

Our entire backend runs all of its email communications through that service, its super reliable.

Pros

- easy to install and set up
- great reliability
- nice dashboard where you can check the details of every sent email
- large free email volume plan!

Cons

Would be nice if it offered pre-designed email templates (created on their website) with CSS etc. which you could then call via the API with some custom values.

Easy to set up

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

Pros

It's been easily customized for our applications. Bulk emails out to users with the ability to read responses. I've been happy with this product

Cons

None. It has served us well for all our purposes

Jack F.

Great Mail Server

Reviewed on 2019/06/04

Pros

I like that I can see in realtime the status of emails, remove supressions and have everything logged in one place.

Cons

I like this server, there is not really anything I would change at this time.

Nathan P.

Great solution for Churches and Non-Profits

Reviewed on 2017/12/21

Pros

Easy to set up. Easy to use. Our church was using another solution but they got rid of their free/non-profit tier. Mailgun has a generous free tier that has served our church of 700 well.

Cons

Right now it seems that we have issues with AT&T/SBCGlobal.net e-mail addresses rejecting a lot of our e-mails. This has been problematic at times but not a huge issue.

Reliable way to send email with a great and well documented API

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/08/07

Pros

I've worked for various software companies who ran their own mail servers, which were great for tracking and integration, but a real headache to maintain. Mailgun has fulfilled all my email requirements and more - providing a reliable way to send and track emails, and a good API that support integration with many clients and languages. I've used it for simple personal projects and large-scale customer deployments, and it works brilliantly throughout.

Cons

The main limitation is that there is a single API key per account. If this API key is compromised you have to change it on all services, so I often end up having to manage multiple mailgun accounts as a workaround.

Dart T.

COnnected to our ticketing system

Reviewed on 2018/09/10

Mailgun enabled us to send thousands of confirmation emails every day to our customers for a good price.

Pros

Worked perfectly well with Google Suite email server.

Cons

Configuration required an adept tech guy

Sven E.

Stress-free eMail with Laravel

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

I use Mailgun for most of my in-house & customer developed web applications to handle the automated delivery of eMail notifications.

Pros

Mailgun is the simplest & most stress-free of the transactional eMail services I've encountered so far. It's integration that ships per default in Laravel, a PHP framework for creating rich webapps, makes the setup & usage of Mailgun especially easy and painless.
The Mailgun API is simple and well documented, their service "just works", the support is always there when you need them and they have a whole slew of community packages that enable you to do more with their API without writing a ton of sourcecode yourself. I don't think there's anymore I could ask for in an eMail provider.

Cons

Mailgun is a bit on the pricey site compared to AWS and other SMTP based options on the market.

Sad to see it going

Reviewed on 2018/04/16
Review Source

Pros

Reliable email automation service.

Easy to see reports and track email delivery for emails coming from our website.

Was quite easy to set up and configure.

Cons

Service is going to end in the near future as they are shutting down the software. We are forced to find a new product that will work for us.

Petr V.

The best mail sending service with free of charge plan.

Reviewed on 2018/04/08

Best choice if you need to send mails over external SMTP services.

Pros

Very easy to use, settings and tutorials how to are very intuitive.
Fast delivering not only transactional emails.
SMTP + API

Cons

Up to 5 domains only in a free plan (10000 mails per month).
Not so detailed info of mail, when you send it over SMTP.