Mailgun

Transactional email API service for developers

Elliott L.

Great solution for mail sending from vps providers like AWS

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

We use mailgun for all of our email sending needs across multiple servers and products. We implement mailgun as the default mail sender for any new projects too.

Pros

Its api is very simple to use, most PHP frameworks come with mailgun integration out of the box - if they don't, mailgun supports standard smtp anyway. Great usage graphs and multiple regions to send from. Is makes it very easy to send emails from php applications which would normally be blacklisted if you use standard php mail from inside a VPS on e.g amazon/azure/vultr/digitalocean. Very generous free tier.

Cons

Their anti spam measures can sometimes not work - if your sending details have been compromised you can be hit with a pretty large bill before you realize someone has been sending hundreds of thousands of emails on your behalf.

Christopher C.
  • Industry: Photography

Most reliable yet

Reviewed on 2019/11/21

Pros

We've used a lot of solutions, we're a mid-sized business and don't send enough for our own IP, however, every other provider has not had great delivery due to that. Mailgun has been the first shared-IP provider to give us unbeatable performance.

Cons

Not being able to schedule emails more than 3-days in advance is a little bit of a downer, however, workarounds are simple.

John M.

Love Mailgun!!!

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

Allow me to remove the send-mail function away from the web-server, which can mean mail is affected (classed as SPAM) because of your website (HOSTING) IP address. Mailgun fixes this.

Pros

Like the fact that it helps your emails avoid Spam filters, which it achieves by ensuring the IP address(s) are clean.

Cons

When setting up the DNS (for the first time), if you have any conflicting records e.g. spf then this may / will prevent your account from being authenticated. A 5 min job can take 5 hours of waiting. Fortunately, Mailgun support is brilliant and can spot an error and offer a fix in seconds.

Reliable

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

Pros

I'm using mailgun for transnational emails and I'm very happy I never encountered any problem, the interface is very good and simple, I like the fact we can setup multiple domains in the same account. All in all it's the best!

Cons

Mailgun didn't notify me when my account was suspended for a verification and in that time I lost many emails that may have resulted in contracts if they were delivered! You need to check you account regularly to make sure everything is OK!

Ivan C.

One of the best email marketing solutions price wise

Reviewed on 2018/01/18

We send email marketing to our user base through Mailgun, monitor results, and save money when compared to other solutions that are more manual..

Pros

We use Mailgun to send to large email marketing lists because it's more affordable than many alternatives. The UX is pretty solid and the reporting tools are nice.

Cons

Sometimes there are things in the report that don't make sense like an open rate dropping considerably one day and then back to normal. We can't really tell what caused that. Also the open rate is lower than other tools that are not marketing based. So perhaps they're tagged as marketing server. Not sure there's any way around that and they take email server health seriously

Cost Effective Email Solution

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

Pros

1) Customer Support, through the inbuilt ticketing channel is very prompt and often resolves queries within the first attempt. Even if you're running the account primarily on free credits.
2) Seems to be reasonably priced if you need to send more than 10,000 emails a month

Cons

1) Delivery reports are saved for only 30 days, and doesn't have a CSV download option with delivery statuses.
2) Dedicated IP address is prohibitively expensive

good for Transactional email and more

Reviewed on 2018/03/12

Pros

Mailgun's system is set up so well, and their SDKs for different languages are so complete, that these days I add a domain, add a Ruby gem, and my new Rails project has transnational email ready to go, highly deliverable, and I just don't worry about it after that. It just works.

Harpaul S.

Best SMTP API available

Reviewed on 2018/06/06

Pros

Mail-gun lets you handle all you send any number of email using a simple rest API, who intgration is available in almost the leading technologies.Let Developers to focus to business logic, as it handles email part itself.

Cons

Never found any con till day, but once we had an issue, one of e-mail address which was deactivated for a small span of time, it stopped working with mail gun. that might be some kind of bug may be.

Tóbiás F.

My transactional mail provider

Reviewed on 2018/05/19

Pros

I have searched a cheap, but reliable transactional mail provider for my various products, finally found it, and use it with delight.

Cons

I would be fond of a service if I can make responsive newsletters from templates with this provider.

Easy to set up

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

Pros

It's been easily customized for our applications. Bulk emails out to users with the ability to read responses. I've been happy with this product

Cons

None. It has served us well for all our purposes

Sven E.

Stress-free eMail with Laravel

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

I use Mailgun for most of my in-house & customer developed web applications to handle the automated delivery of eMail notifications.

Pros

Mailgun is the simplest & most stress-free of the transactional eMail services I've encountered so far. It's integration that ships per default in Laravel, a PHP framework for creating rich webapps, makes the setup & usage of Mailgun especially easy and painless.
The Mailgun API is simple and well documented, their service "just works", the support is always there when you need them and they have a whole slew of community packages that enable you to do more with their API without writing a ton of sourcecode yourself. I don't think there's anymore I could ask for in an eMail provider.

Cons

Mailgun is a bit on the pricey site compared to AWS and other SMTP based options on the market.

Dart T.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

COnnected to our ticketing system

Reviewed on 2018/09/10

Mailgun enabled us to send thousands of confirmation emails every day to our customers for a good price.

Pros

Worked perfectly well with Google Suite email server.

Cons

Configuration required an adept tech guy

• Used Daily for Free Trial

Easy configuration for sending emails

Reviewed on 2019/04/19

Pros

I really like mail gun. It's easy to configure and you can start sending emails immediately. The documentation they provide is easy to use and in an easy way you can implement it.

Cons

Their support it's a little bit slower, I was expecting a faster response from them

James D.

A quick solution for low-volume email delivery

Reviewed on 2020/08/23

Mailgun has been key for us in deploying an email solution for our small business, especially because there are no upfront costs.

Pros

Mailgun is a fantastic way to small startups to get their email solution up and running. It's developer friendly, custiomisable, and initially totally free; all wrapped together in a neat UI.

Cons

Getting the Mailgun API integration up and running may be difficult for those without a programming background.

• Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Easy to use, efficient deliverability and reputation management

Reviewed on 2017/05/01

Pros

Amazing deliverability, reputation management, email validation, logs and analytics features.
Customer friendly, easy to use, developer focussed product.

Cons

Serves the purpose of email API, if you are looking for email templates and marketing automation, you may need to use third part tools.

• Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great for a free product

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Pros

For a free product this is easy to implement and user friendly

Cons

Having to keep each email coming from @mg.domain - looks unprofessional

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

An excellent API and webservice for sending email from you application

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Very simple and affordable option for programatically sending emails for various web apps and services. Mailgun is considered the standard for it.

Pros

Mailgun webservice implementations are available in many different languages for various platforms such as rails, sinatra, python, php, etc. They have smtp as well as http send options. Once you set up DNS from your domain, it is simple to start programatically sending emails such as from a Shopify app.

Cons

Had some issues with their website dashboard loading for some reason, but managed to figure it out. -- the mailgun website was loading blank pages once I logged in.

David A.

Perfect!!!

Reviewed on 2019/07/20

Pros

Easy to integrate into laravel framework.

Cons

Sometimes verifying account doesn't work and I don't know why

Ted S.

I like this product but dang it is expensive...and doesn't always prove results!

Reviewed on 2017/09/05

A fast check and (sometime) cleaning of email lists!

Pros

I like how simple and straight forward this product is. This team has done a really good job of creating a crazy simple and effective tool.

Cons

IT DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK! We have used this product a number of times and most of the time it works just fine, but more and more we are finding even though we are spending large amounts of money (this product is expensive) that doesn't garrentty results.

Mailgun for Small Business

Reviewed on 2017/10/11

Pros

Easy enough to use. Great for communication purposes. Layout is simple and intuitive. Great for small business.

Cons

Again, didn't have all the features I was looking for in one software. Finding myself blending other softwares to meet all my needs.

• Used Other for 6-12 months

Want to go inspam ? Use Mailgun

Reviewed on 2018/04/09

Pros

Well, I don't have any Pros for this tool. I thought it was a good tipimail alternative but it's not.

Cons

Tipimail user for a long time in my previous company, I've been force to use Mailgun. Result? Spam, deliverability issues and some much troubles.

Fast and nice uptime

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

I use Mailgun for many of my customers it's very reliable and fast, and if you need more speed the HTTP API is well made.

Jonathan T.
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Feature rich, strong support team

Reviewed on 2020/12/21

Overall, a very good experience. Mailgun was definitely a very competent software and tool for dealing with the complex nature of sending out mass marketing emails successfully.

Pros

In my previous work as Director of Operations of a medical software company, I worked with the development team to implement and utilize the software. A lot of the technical side of things was over my head, but the mailgun support team was top notch and integral to us executing on a successful deployment of automated emails at a scale far greater than anything we had tackled before.

Cons

Most of my gripes are simply due to lack of understanding - a lot of the software was quite technical in nature and over my head. But I can't really speak in detail to any pros/cons of directly interacting with the software or its user interface.

Adrian C.

Mailgun is awesome

Reviewed on 2020/10/01

Pros

Easy to deploy, they even have an iOS SDK. I use it to deliver automated emails for my app (welcome emails, password reset, announcements, etc).

Cons

There are currently no cons for me with this software.

Tyler M.

Great SMTP for sending bulk or transactional email

Reviewed on 2020/06/16

We have achieved great eCPM mailing costs and gained access to higher volume mail to reach our subscribers

Pros

Mailgun allows for a lot of customization. Users use the service on the backend as the infrustructure to mail, while using their own service portal to send the mail and segment their subscriber base. Mail sending is fast, reliable, and they have dedicated and shared IPs for sending.

Cons

Since it is only to be used as the infrastructure to mail, companies will need the know-how of hooking up SMTP connections and have access to a developer and front-end software.