7shifts

4,7 (1 135)
Simplifying team management, one shift at a time.

(1 135)

Sara Jane
Sara Jane
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Has all the tools you could need

Reviewed on 2019/05/01

I get updates/push notifications from 7 shifts every week when my schedule is published, as well as updates from my managers and corporate offices. I also sometimes use it to make work life easier. Really glad to have this piece of software I thought I'd never use. Very good for the restaurant industry and hourly positions.

Pros

It's a really nice layout, it has thought of just about everything you could possibly need to use the software for. I have personally found it very useful for looking up the contact information of my coworkers and keeping track of request off time. For people like servers who constantly drop/add/trade shifts with other people, there is a useful feature to do that as well.

Cons

It logged me out when I changed phones, don't think that's necessary to protect information on this kind of app, but was easy to recover password. Overall a very minor con.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Sara! We're happy to hear that 7shifts has everything you need to make your work life easier. We really appreciate your detailed feedback and if there is every anything we can improve upon in the future, please just reach out to our team any time. Cheers!

Brian

7Shifts review

Reviewed on 2022/12/13

Very positive. The software is intuitive and easy to teach others. Plenty of functionality

Pros

Ability to easily upload a new employee, set their parameters, and schedule them. Ability to message and communicate with staff easily. Ability to create labor projections and review vs actual.

Cons

Inability to stack and sort employee shifts on a given day.

Relative cost of 7shifts. Great demo and easy of implementing

See above
  • Used for 1+ year

7Shifts and More?

Reviewed on 2019/11/06

The team loved 7shifts since it was so user friendly and easy to access from PC or mobile. Unfortunately, forecasting is obviously a big issue when it comes to scheduling so we moved on.

Pros

I liked the messaging platform it had for teams. I enjoyed the ease of seeing team member roles. I liked the ease of seeing the daily line up of teams in different departments. I enjoyed being able to flag attendance within the app and reports generated from that.

Cons

I did not like third party app integrations that users would be automatically opted into. Forecasting was a bit clunky also unfortunately.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

We didnt. We went with HotSchedules.

Response from 7shifts

Hi there, thanks for the review. We appreciate your feedback and really appreciate you sharing with us what you liked, and what you did not like about 7shifts.

In regards to sales/labor forecasting, this is something we are always looking to improve so we appreciate your candor. We strive to provide all of our customers with at least 95% accuracy in forecasting, so if this was something we have not lived up to we want to make it right and work with you to improve your experience. Please reach out to our team any time and we would be happy to help!

On that note, we just released our new Optimal Labor tool which provides hourly sales forecasts which are even more intuitive and transparent. The goal here is to provide managers and operators a visual representation of their labor needs to help them more easily hit their targets with solid forecasts: https://support.7shifts.com/article/310-optimal-labor-tool

Allison
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Still learning the ropes, but seems decent

Reviewed on 2022/03/07

Pros

We're interested in this app for the optimal labor scheduling feature. Unfortunately, we haven't yet used it long enough for this feature to work for us. Being able to manually add projected sales to the schedule to see the estimated labor % as you prepare the schedule is helpful. The reports seem easy to read. The helpdesk has been responsive so far.

Cons

The cost of the second highest tier plan is the same as the highest tier plan on our previous software. I don't know if this is a good value yet since we haven't been using it long enough to access all the features we need. I'm hoping the longer we use it, the better it will get. So far, myself and my team are still struggling to understand and find everything we need.

Deputy

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

We want to access the optimal labor feature in 7shifts. 7shifts seems more geared towards QSR than Homebase.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Deputy charges per employee.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Allison! We are confident that our optimal labor tool is going to be a game-changer for your restaurant and our team is here to support your.

Sarah

Longtime user

Reviewed on 2020/11/03

Absolutely great! If you have any issues they help you out right away. Plus they are always evolving and take their customers suggestions and implement them.

Pros

Very easy to use. Lots of integration options and they are continually adding more. Easy for staff to use!

Cons

Not everything you need to do is on the mobile app or sometimes hard to find.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

7shifts was very easy to use and they got back to me very quickly with any questions. They features they offered also interested us and it looked ( and is) very easy to use.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the kind words Sarah! We are humbled by your feedback, and happy to hear you have found a lot of value in our platform once you made the switch from Hot Schedules. Keep an eye out for even more great functionality being added soon.

Also, I'm going to have a member of our mobile team reach out to you in order to hear about your ideas for improving our mobile apps to better suit you.

Shannon
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great product, and the price is so affordable

Reviewed on 2023/02/10

The best piece to me was taking scheduling, time off requests, availability, and budgeting and putting them into a single piece of software.

Pros

I loved getting to a digital schedule that I could easily push notifcations to my employees. It really streamlined the schedule process for my business and allowed me to simplify several processes into one.

Cons

I was very happy with the software, however the only thing that made me switch was to get as many things under a single software suite as possible. We now use square for POS, scheduling, time tracking, payroll management, etc.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

I already have excel and used it prior, but I needed something that was much more advanced.
Jeremy
  • Industry: Restaurants

Better than other scheduling apps

Reviewed on 2022/12/13

Pros

Setting up availabilities and scheduling is very easy and helpful.

Cons

Sometimes there'll be a notification even though the notification has already been resolved.

Slack

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

Homebase was not as functional and user-friendly as 7shifts appears to be.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Cheaper, user-friendly and does a lot of the tasks I wanted to be done.
Denise

Great Resource for Restaurant Mangement

Reviewed on 2021/08/31

Overall 7shifts has really productively impacted our day to day. Reservation booking, management notes, scheduling have all been digitized and made accessible anywhere we are. This allows for us to work on things and make educated decisions even when we are off property.

Pros

The best features of this program is all around communication. That includes communication from ownership on down. Everyone always has quick access to the notes and day to day. Management log and scheduling were the biggest attractions for us.

Cons

The biggest con for me so far is the permissions. We can only designate one Administrator and we cannot customize all permissions down quite as much as we need or would like. Sometimes we are stuck with "all or nothing" permissions decisions for some staff members.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

The toast integration option, pricing, trial period, and overall product availability that we were looking for.

Response from 7shifts

Thank you for the great, detailed review Denise!

Brandon
  • Industry: Restaurants

Whole team loves it! Super easy to use

Reviewed on 2020/12/03

I'm a super fan! They even sent us a sweet box of swag!
Even before that we fell in love with the...

I'm a super fan! They even sent us a sweet box of swag!
Even before that we fell in love with the software.
The number one thing though is how easy it is to use.

Pros

Incredibly simple to set up and begin using.
Team loves the autonomous features that give them control off requesting shifts and time off.
Management loves how easy it to publish weekly schedules.
My favorite features are the reporting and labor budgeting tools.

Cons

I wished I would have deployed it sooner

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

The old software didn't integrate with our new POS system.

7shifts was the easiest to use and had a more friendly UX,UI

Response from 7shifts

Thanks so much for the review, Brandon! A lot of time and attention goes into designing 7shifts to give our restaurant clients a great experienceso we're glad you're experiencing that at Acorn Grill! Happy scheduling :)

Stephen
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great Scheduling Application for an Entertainment Complex!!

Reviewed on 2021/08/31

Pros

Very simple integration into the overall day to day operation of the company. Easy to setup new hires and have continued communication as they are on boarded. Simple communication with the entire complex and all staff about changes and important information. Overall a great application that does actually what is says.

Cons

I think some of the available options to the staff are a bit too much. Such as everyone's email and phone number and the freedom to use that as they wish can be a bit of a headache.

TimeCamp and Timely

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Price and overall appearance of the application seemed to be top notch.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Stephen! Expect some really good onboarding improvements coming very soon that are going to make your life even easier.

Andreina
  • Industry: Hospitality
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Potential

Reviewed on 2021/08/31

So Far it has worked for our company, hopefully we can further develop our usage.

Pros

The software has a lot of potentials to be great, the best part of it is the integration with POS so we can have real-time data.

Cons

There are sections like time-sheets that are unnecessarily hard and not user-friendly.

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

The software was very user-friendly but the app itself keeps crashing or lagging delaying our process when doing scheduling and payroll.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Did not like the Fourth interface.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Andreina! As you mentioned, we look forward to showing you the full potential of how 7shifts can help your restaurant. As such, your dedicated success manager to see how they can help you out :)

Kayla

7Shifts Review - Kayla Cunningham

Reviewed on 2020/11/06

Overall I have had a good experience with 7shifts. I have used several other employee databases and this application seems to work the quickest without error. I would recommend this to anyone looking for something similar.

Pros

It's simplistic and easy for users to clock in, monitor their earnings, and communicate with other coworkers. I can use the pin pad to clock in right when I get to work or I have the option to manually write in my hours each of the week.

Cons

Entering in my hourly work on a daily basis can be tedious, but I wouldn't say I dislike it.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks so much for the review Kayla!

Briana

Great easy to use scheduling software

Reviewed on 2021/08/31

I have been using scheduling software for many years and the combination of price, ease of use, and available app for my employees makes it a winner in my book.

Pros

I really enjoy having an app, setup was very easy, the price is right, and the over-all use is intuitive and simple to understand.

Cons

None that I can think - honestly a good product that meets my needs.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Briana! We appreciate you advocating for 7shifts for your restaurant.

Katherine

7shifts is a great communication & scheduling tool

Reviewed on 2021/08/31

7shifts has been great. We moved over from another scheduling software that was decreasing in functionality while increasing in price, 7shifts has accessed our expectations in replacing it.

Pros

Communication with individuals or groups is extremely easy with this tool. Schedules are easy to make & adjust. Manager log is simple & effective.

Cons

Having the ability to add specific staff journal notes (attached to each staff member in the system) to search easier would be helpful. Also being able to separate & post schedules by department.

Response from 7shifts

Thank you for the kind words Katherine! We are so happy to hear that making the switch to 7shifts was a benefit to your business.

Ann

Literally changed my life

Reviewed on 2019/11/04

7 Shifts helped reduce the stress on mangers who do the scheduling. Literally I would not make it out of the parking lot and I would start getting messages from staff about trading shifts , wanting time off etc. They can do most of this on the app. I do not have to carry a paper schedule with me everywhere I go. I do not have 3 or 4 copies of the schedule and all saying different things as they have not all been updated. It is all on my phone . I do not know if i can change the schedule from my phone . If you can I do not know how. Sometimes there are changes when I am out of the office that we cannot do on the app. I do take notes on this and update the schedule when I get to my computer. Not a big deal

Pros

How easy it is to use. It solved many of our scheduling issues.
Staff resolve many of the trades etc among themselves. The schedule is always up to-date. The schedule is always available on my phone. I can approve changes etc when I am not on site and the schedule is updated and everyone knows what is going on.

Cons

Sometimes the updates have caused some glitches. They are quickly resolved once 7 shifts is made aware. Because we are not a restaurant some of the features on it we do not need and show up all the time. It would be nice if there was a version without earnings profits etc. as we do not need all of that. We are a residential housing program for persons with disabilities and other then that it works really well for us.
the staff really like the freedom they have as well with the app.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Ann. We love hearing that 7shifts has changed your life for the better and alleviated many of the scheduling headaches that you used to experience. Cheers!

Tory
  • Industry: Restaurants

Lots of Bang for the Buck!

Reviewed on 2017/04/21

7Shifts has been a tremendous timesaver! We used to spend so much time transferring requests to our paper scheduling forms. Now we can just work directly in the app. Saves paper too! Our staff is incredibly happy we've made this technological leap. Takes some stress out of their already busy lives by being able to switch shifts online. It has also alleviated the issue of "misreading" their schedule. As managers, we love that we no longer have to hear that excuse. Ha ha! Managing overtime is incredibly easier on 7Shifts. Prior to the app, we relied on floor managers to make judgement calls regarding shift exchanges when senior managers weren't available. Labor considerations didn't get factored into decisions and we would run higher labor numbers. Now that fewer managers are part of the shift exchange decisions, we know that the appropriate factors are being implemented into the decision making. The floor managers appreciate not having the pressure of making a decision that could negatively impact a shift. Posting and editing schedules in real time also alleviates issues. We would have people switch shifts and then forget. Now it goes immediately into their schedule once approved. Confusion alleviated!!! We don't use the auto-fill option but find that manually scheduling is so much more efficient in the app than it was on paper. I also love that you accept requests for features/functions and compile them for consideration. The service has always been wonderfully friendly and fast. The tutorials are really helpful and well done. I can't say enough good things. Thank you for creating such a user friendly app. Makes our busy restaurant lives so much easier!

Great tutorials
Fast and friendly support staff
Efficiency for reviewing labor
Incredibly communication tool between staff and management
Consider suggestions for functions and features and notify you if they become implemented
Fair price for the power of the product

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the great, in-depth review Tory. We're happy to hear that 7shifts is helping alleviate the classic "misreading the schedule" problem for Beaver Street Brewery. Cheers!

Rowan

Game-changing modernization

Reviewed on 2022/12/13

Overall, we have had a very good experience since making the switch over to 7shifts and would certainly recommend it to other restaurants - especially those with a large staff.

Pros

7shifts makes it easy to communicate with the entire staff, individually or as a group. It even allows us to easily send messages to specific roles or groups within roles, such as "bartenders scheduled today" or "servers not scheduled today." It also makes it easy for staff to communicate with management and each other, and has also made the process of shift swapping/coverage easier for staff and management. Managers love that we can see all bids for a shift, and that no swap or coverage goes unapproved (which often happened in the past when we were still using a paper system for switches). It's also great when we need to add staff for a particular shift, as we can simply post an open shift for anyone in a particular role.

Cons

I wish you could access the original version of a posted schedule (before swaps/pick-ups, etc) and see quickly who picked up a shift vs. who was originally scheduled, rather than having to go back through the activity log. Additionally, apart from the dashboard view - which is fantastic and super convenient for planning each day - the layout of the iPad app isn't great, and when there are major changes/updates to the product, it can be tricky to get used to. When there are glitches (which is pretty rare), it can be disruptive to our process of planning each shift. These aren't things you have to deal with when using a paper system, however they are minor issues in comparison to the many benefits of switching to 7shifts.

• Industry: Hospitality

7shifts A Networking Dream

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

Overall, 7shifts is quite easy to work with, I've only experienced some minor inconveniences with it. Otherwise, it is significantly more streamlined compared to software that my close friends have shown me that their workplaces implement.

Pros

As a worker, I've found 7shifts fairly easy to work with. It easily allows me to see my upcoming shifts and if necessary offer them up for others to take. I have not personally used other software, but my friends have told me that they are either unable to trade shifts easily or at all! The messaging features are also quite adequate as they are simple to understand and use. They make it a breeze to contact my coworkers or employer if necessary. Finally, I believe it is a fairly recent development, but 7shifts has a logbook feature that allows for commentary about that day of work. The logbook is exceptional at sharing information with my employer and coworkers, and helps us maintain inventory and smooth daily operations.

Cons

Its recording of my expected pay is not always 100% accurate although that's probably due to taxes. However it might be nice to implement a feature that determines what you'll make after tax. Additonally, I've had some issues trying to input my availability, where the dates will switch before I post my availability. This isn't a deal breaker but just a bit annoying to switch them back.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review! We love getting the feedback of employees that use 7shifts and we are over the moon to see the value you are getting out of the platform. Nice work!

Chelsea

Much aloha for 7shifts!

Reviewed on 2022/12/14

I have been very satisfied with the customer service. In Hawaii sometimes its difficult to get answers because of our time difference. But even if I miss customer service, they always get back to me in a very timely manner and I am super grateful!

Pros

I manage a restaurant that uses Toast as our POS system. The integration was easy and I love the real time information shared between both platforms. The scheduling portion of 7shifts is my favorite and the mobile access. Business needs change on a dime in food and beverage and I need all my staff members to be on the same page at all times. The messaging feature is also very crucial, we live on an island and recently Mauna Loa volcano erupted. Some of our team members live on the other side of the island. We wanted to get work out quickly and efficiently to share information and to go over safety protocols and possible plans. 7shifts allowed for us to reach all of our employees in a timely manner.

Cons

One thing I would ask 7shifts to consider is allowing for a business to customize "flags" for the schedule. For example, if I call someone off of work I would rather leave their original schedule posted for the record and indicate that I called them off.

Tricia

Best Bang for Your Buckl

Reviewed on 2022/12/13

I don't know that we could function properly & in our budget without a scheduling program. We previously used Hot Schedules. It was complicated for everyone & had a lot of extra junk no one really used or needed. We moved to 7shifts & it was a breath of fresh air!!! So much easier to use, the reports it provides are fantastic & it has built in tools that guide the scheduler to meeting their labor costs. Labor is undeniably our largest expense. It is also our most important so having 7shifts help us manage that is priceless. By the way, it is NOT expensive!!

Pros

I find it to be very user friendly for our GM's that build their schedules. I also appreciate the fact that it puts our staff in charge of their schedules. If they play by the rules of 7shifts, they can really make their schedules work for them.

Cons

Customer service; chatting is not efficient & even if the tech is the one that isn't responding, you still get kicked out when the time is up.

Hannah

User Friendly!!!

Reviewed on 2020/11/06

It has been at least one thing that’s made my life a little easier over the past couple of years.

Pros

I have enough experience to compare this system to others and I love this one. It’s always easy to read and understand. The colors and how it’s laid out always helps me remember my schedules. It also helps remind me what position I’ll be filling in or what time I may be able to leave work or just what the week is going to look like business-wise.

Cons

At times, I don’t get all the notifications that coworkers post in different groups. They’re not typically super important posts but I like to be up-to-date.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Hannah! We love hearing that 7shifts has made your life easier and integrates with your Toast POS.

Mark
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Great scheduling application for any industry

Reviewed on 2021/08/31

Excellent - no issues from set up and getting our account started we have had zero issues. Communication has been good through the whole process. No issues - extremely positive!

Pros

We have tried a few products and this is the best value for the money. We like the ability to text, message, and have the staff see all this on the mobile app. This is what staff expect these days and we think 7Shifts makes on-line scheduling and helps us keep managers time tied up constantly working schedules.

We use this for our 24 hour operation and it works great for us!

Cons

Not a problem with the software or the application, it is a problem with us since we own numerous companies our time clocks are on another system and do not integrate but could. We should really be using the scheduling application and more features from 7Shifts but that is us not the product.

We should explore more integration and try to push more to 7Shifts.

Response from 7shifts

Thank you for the amazing, detailed review Mark. We really love hearing about your experience coming onboard with 7shifts and the value it has provided your organization.

Ciara

7shifts, great for more than just scheduling

Reviewed on 2022/12/13

Pros

It’s convenient the the mobile app works well to do most scheduling updates and adding of employees. The messaging also works well for getting in touch with team members and the facts that contact information is readily available to our teams to connect.

Cons

Sometimes there are issues where employees do not have update notifications enabled and they miss updates. You also can’t reactivate terminated employees from the mobile app. You don’t get a good view of hourly shift coverage in the mobile app like you do from accessing online in the browser.

Josh
  • Industry: Sports

Easy to navigate

Reviewed on 2022/12/13

Pros

The scheduling feature is by far my favorite. When you're having to create schedules for multiple properties it's huge to have everything in one place, on one program. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have 7shifts.

Cons

My biggest issue would have to do with team members forgetting to punch in and out, then having to manually go in and adjust their timesheet. It's a con but there's nothing that can really be done to fix this that I know of since its more human error than anything.

Damon

7shifts review

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

Pros

Before using this software, we primarily used Excel spreadsheets. That process was cumbersome and very hard to schedule employees. By using 7shifts our scheduling has become way more streamlined. We enjoy that once the schedule is posted, it notifies every single employee. We also enjoy that there is a chat feature and announcement feature that allows us to communicate with our employees in order to make sure that everyone is on track. Calculating labor for a schedule is also way easier.

Cons

Overall we really enjoyed the software. The only complaints that I would list is that every now and then our employees and myself are sometimes logged out of our account and it’s cumbersome to figure out why we are logged out and to get back into the account.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Damon! Making the switch from excel to an app is hard sometimes, but we are thrilled to hear it's been worth it for your restaurant. The benefits are clear, so we're happy we could help you and your team make the switch :)