1 452 reviews

4,5
1 452 reviews
Nicholas N.
Company size: Self Employed

Buildium reduced my workload by approximately a factor of 5!

Reviewed on 2020/06/27

Overall, my experience has been fantastic. I took my time onboarding over a period of about 3 months, then I ran the software concurrent to QuickBooks for 2 months, cutting Quickbooks off on Jan 1 and using Buildium exclusively.

Pros

Residents having 24/7 access to their account to make payments and submit requests is a huge time saver. Requests go to the right place automatically and payments are deposited into the proper account. Accounting is a breeze since it is all done online - reconciliations take no time at all!

Cons

I wish it were easier to add residents to leases that have already been signed and to assign leases mid-lease.

William A.

Overall a Quality Property Management Software Platform

Reviewed on 2020/10/06

Overall Buildium is a really good platform to use especially if you want things to be automatically done or updated. I like that customize dashboard that lets you know when leases are expiring and need to be renewed. They also allow you to auto list properties for rent. This is extremely helpful for us. One down side of this platform is the inability to send debts to collection like other platforms have. Overall, I would recommend Buildium as long as they were made aware of the extra charges and services they continue to try and promote to tenants.

Pros

The thing I like the post is that it automatically applies late fees to accounts. It also auto notifies tenants once they make a payment on their account. I like that you can email every tenant using one email instead of trying to email them individually. The site is very user friendly with a customizable dashboard to help you get a quick snap shot of your rentals.

Cons

I don't like some of the auto emails that get sent to tenants to help sell some of the products Buildium is promoting. For instance, they want all tenants to have insurance and will continually email them to get them to purchase insurance that Buildium gets a cut of. They also are encouraging tenants to set up ACH payments, which if you don't have the top account level, charges the owner to use the service. I feel like Buildium continues to try and do add ons from both the tenants and the owners which is frustrating considering the amount of money we pay for the software.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Tom L.

Reviewed on 2013/01/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We've been using Buildium for about 2 years, long enough to get a good feel for its strengths and weaknesses. My overall impression is that this is a good product for small to medium size residential property management firms (10-100 units). If you have fewer than 10, this product is overkill. If more than 100, you'll probably find it too simplistic. The product is geared to residential properties and residential associations. Managing commercial portfolios with it can be difficult.

The Good:
Accounting functionality is pretty strong. GL, AR, AP, budgets and property ledgers are handled seamlessly. Very easy to use even for beginners. I like the global search functionality. You can pretty much find anything using it without navigating through the menus. Pricing is relatively inexpensive.

It's cloud-based, so you don't have to maintain any software on your own computers. You can access it anywhere with a web browser. Some people see this as a negative, but we've not had any issues with Buildium being down unexpectedly. The scheduled maintenance times are generally late at night.

Support is good if you're having problems with the standard functionality. In general I would say the support staff understands their product well. And you can get them on the phone to explain things. That's becoming less common with companies today.

Document management is hit & miss. I love that I can post a PDF receipt for every expense right there in the ledger. However, documents at the property- or owner level are less helpful. It's just one big bucket per property or owner. Having a folder structure would be a big help. (Not there today.)

Buildium offers tenant bill-pay through an online portal for rent payments, and also outbound electronic payments to property owners. It's done through a 3rd party vendor and at additional cost. This is a double-edged sword. Very convenient; it makes the bookkeeping entries for you automatically. But if you're doing outbound payments, make sure to treat it just like an online banking account (long passwords, be careful of who in your office has access to it, etc.) Allowing for extra security questions or letting users limit the IP addresses that have this outbound payment functionality would be helpful.

The Bad:
As noted, you'll get frustrated if you're trying to use this for commercial properties. The designers make assumptions that you're doing residential.

CRM functionality is practically non-existent. This is an accounting package. They do have some decent (and customizable) postal-mail templates and can do mail-merge so you can send notices to tenants and owners. But this does not extend to email. You'll need another product to do CRM and do double data entry between systems.

There is no integration layer or API, so no chance of integrating this with your CRM system or generating custom reports.

The reports, while nice-looking, are as-is and not customizable in any way. You're stuck with what they give you. They make some odd design decisions sometimes. For example, you can't generate an association owner invoice for an owner who lives someplace other than the managed property. The invoice is always addressed to the managed property, even if you entered a different mailing address for the owner, as if an association owner would never rent out the property. These types of oddities abound, and the product support folks will never acknowledge it as a problem. They'll tell you to fill out an enhancement request, which may be considered for implementation someday, or may not. You'll never know. Providing a way to customize reports or providing an API would help in this area.

In Summary:
Buildium is good at what it does, but what it does is pretty limited. You will likely be happy if you're in their demographic sweet spot (10-100 residential units). It's cheap enough to sign up and try it out to see if it's right for you. If you manage commercial properties, have a very large or complex portfolio, or need integrated CRM capabilities, it's probably not for you.

Dustin C.
Industry: Hospitality

Will never use another program

Reviewed on 2020/08/13

Buildium had always been the go to for me. It's user friendly for staff and extremely user friendly for my residents and older residents that aren't as technologically inclined. Anyone can use it. And when my older residents are confused they can call the hotline and get customer services from the team rather than calling is office during off hpurs.

Pros

The ease of importing all of our data and getting everything set up specifically for our hoa property. Everything we needed and none of the rental stuff we didn't. The team assisting us in seeing up the system has been incredible.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike. I would love to have the ability to shower multiple chargers on statements for dues and assessment and have those both track. But the team has shown me a way we can do that until the update team has created that ability.

Kimberly D.

Definitely Worth a Try

Reviewed on 2020/06/12

Overall, I think Buildium is a good company and I think they are struggling with the fast growth process, as many companies do. The cost of their program is less than Appfolio and the folks that work for them are better at helping out with issues. I found Appfolio's phone support to be mostly snarky know-it-alls and patronizing 20-somethings with an attitude who seemed to be bothered by my questions . Buildium support has never come across that way.

Pros

The set up process and assistance in doing it was quite seamless. The ongoing support is there if you need it and the tutorials, although not great or always up to date, do help you figure things out without having to call in.

Cons

The close-out of a tenant can be awkward and not intuitive. The return of security deposits with interest and charging of fees is clunky. Also, when a lease runs out, the system doesn't roll them over to month-to-month. It simply just closes out the lease on line and makes it look like the tenant doesn't live there anymore or owe any rent. This is both frustrating and stressful because if a tenant owes money and decides not to declare that, they could potentially get away without paying rent. There needs to be a change in the rollover of the leases in the system so we don't miss collecting rent.

Nelson R.

Buildium

Reviewed on 2020/10/06

Overall it is very satisfactory and you get value out of it.

Pros

Ease of conversion and use. It has all the features of running a property management company from leasing application till account closing.

Cons

Can't print multi checks for multi properties. There is no option to set up property insurance, only vendors and tenants.

Emmett K.

Great Software!!!

Reviewed on 2020/01/23

We are able to get much better organized, be on top of things.

Pros

It is a pure property management software. It has one thing in mind...managing real estate.

Cons

The financial angle is not great. If you know the work arounds, it is OK.

It also does not have a sales tax component like HST or GST in Canada.

Eric C.

Buildium Customer DIS ServiceMany

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/02/21

Tedious job inputting tenants. Accounts & data. Good for large organizations with 100s to 1000s of doors. Need one FT employee to train and monitor. I've switched after such difficulty getting thg through to customer service and long waits.

Pros

Many good features. Accepts Credit Cards. Preventative Maintenance lists. Credit and Criminal check & probability analyzer.

Cons

Terrible phone access & customer service team. Very Tough to learn software. Less $$ costly programs available with better training and customer service that answered In a timely manner

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Rebecca M.
Industry: Construction

Very easy to use software

Reviewed on 2020/08/04

It has been great! Very easy to use the program!

Pros

I like the reports feature, emails to tenants about their balance with a click of a button, easy to do a bank reconciliation. Multiple rental companies can be accessed with ONE log in!

Cons

I like a lot of notes. Sometimes I wish the description could contain more characters.

Kortney H.

High Hopes and Mislead

Reviewed on 2019/11/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The customer service was just terrible. They don't tell you that you have to apply for online payments. When we were denied everyone stopped reaching out to us, wouldn't answer our questions about why. We called customer support multiple times, by multiple employees to try and find out what or who the problem was on the application. It was extremely disappointing. Also online payments should be ensured for a property management software. AT THE LEAST they should be very up front about it and have you apply before spending three weeks transferring all your information into the platform, customizing applications, settings, fees, setting up staff logins, etc. Then drop you and not respond or answer any of your questions? horrid service. The whole ePay thing is a mess.

The onboarding process was also 5 times longer than it needed to be. We had all the templates for information transfer done in a matter of days, but had to wait two weeks to have a phone call where we watched our onboarding rep input the templates for 20 minutes...

They just need a lot of help refining their onboarding process, removing redundancies, and expressing the process.

We were so excited for the switch to buildium, but are so disappointed with how things turned out that we will never go back to them.

Pros

Had all the features we wanted in a new property management software and the support software was very easy to use. As I dive in I keep finding more wonderful features that are very useful and simple to understand/navigate.

Cons

The customer service was just terrible, and is ultimately what lost our business. Online tenant payment are run through a third party software that needs to be applied for for each bank account (which they run employees credit check for as well as the business and the business owners credit... who bases a businesses future on an employees credit?).

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Neil G.
Company size: Self Employed

Best accounting program for rental property income and expenditure

Reviewed on 2020/03/21

With Buildium, all my income and expenditure information, receipts and invoices plus lease agreements etc are all stored in the one place. At tax time, printing out reports for my tax agent is simple and quick.

Pros

Easy to use and can cope with multiple properties.
Reports can be generated for variations in financial year reporting of different counties.
You can set up recurring bills so they appear on your list of things to do which reminds you and you don't have to re-enter all the data each time you have a bill to pay.

Cons

This is an American based program and for American users, it offers the ability to pay bills direct from your bank account etc. For me in Australia, this facility is unavailable.

Katie S.

Property Management Software - works very well for non accounting backgrounds

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

Automation is HUGE! online payment is HUGE! It's connecting my tenant/client requests with my staff and subsequently my vendors - less mess to sort through!

Pros

I don't have to have a degree in accounting, between features, FAQ's and support, I've always been able to resolve issues. Love that it streamlines my processes into one central place and that I have a good overall place for myself, my assistant, my clients and tenants to look at things. Love online payments and ability to pay out to owners and vendors online as well! Software has fantastic capability to shift easily with the changing needs of business (growth or even if we were to pull back a bit - affordable and seamless transition!)

Cons

The vendor/owner portals are difficult and messy. Also, my vendors can see ALL work orders, not just their own for a property they have access to. They have to go under maintenance just to find work orders (not intuitive). Would be awesome if they could just reply to the emails the system sends and have those replies/files be uploaded as communication on the work order.

Loading pictures is ok but difficult to reorder. Also, would like to be able to load pictures in an area that show things like appliances/etc but not necessarily show on the listing

If I enable "files" to be seen, then people can see ALL things under files - not just those pertinent to the properties they are enabled for.

If I send an email to all owners or all tenants, it does not save under their individual communication logs - I have to go into a specific lease/tenant/owner/etc then go to communications to start an email otherwise it's not in the log.

Would like to have multiple work orders under tasks - sometimes I need a General, a plumber and an electrician to complete the same task, for example.

In the banking area, I'd like the property balances to reflect how much is deposit/property reserves so that I can see I'm where I need to be at a glance. I'd also like to be able to make more than one reserve account per property (i.e. taxes, maintenance)

I'd like ONE application email - not one plus the credit check (maybe the app has a link to the chk

Erin V.
Industry: Construction

Jump on the property management software train with Buildium!!

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

The benefits of utilizing Buildium for home construction companies are too many to list here. From management being able to see the project all at once and not have to look in different sections. Subcontractors being able to log their hours per project tasks for easy invoicing. Owners with the ability to go on and see how the construction is going, choosing selections, and keeping in contact with management. For bookkeepers the easy integration of Xero and Quickbooks online is fantastic. If you haven't tried Buildium and are looking for a superb property management software, sign up for their free trial and take it for a test drive.

Pros

There are several items within Buildium that by far surpassed other property management companies. The ability to upload subcontractor paperwork and have all the information in one place securely online with reminders set up when expirations or missing information is needed. The ability for everyone with accounts set up to communicate, check on tasks, and proposals all in one place for easy referral. One of the easiest implementations and setups for property management software. But the absolute best thing about Buildium for me anyways is that you can list as much information from sales, tasks, proposals, selections, etc. I truly believe that all companies need to keep as much information as possible on file and with Buildium you can put as much information as you need, place tags for easy reporting, and this information is for authorized users to see. To me, you can never have too much information and it makes is so much easier if you have a person leave and the new hire to move it and look at the information to be brought up to date.

Cons

When I first started working with Buildium I wished that there had been a step by step workflow check sheet because at times I had to go and research if I was entering the data correctly. But that was quickly solved while speaking with Buidium's excellent customer support team members.
Finally, I would recommend a Buildium forum where all users can go on and if they have questions can post it to the forum as another user may have had the same problem.

Nancy H.

Gets the Job Done; Would like more Features

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

Software functions well and is reliable, Customers and Clients tell us they DO NOT like the portal and don't understand reports. I have volunteered to be in a user group to develop reports but have not been contacted yet.

Pros

The software is easy to use and fairly flexible; we do use it in some ways that are not intended to address unique situations. I also like that there is a forum for user requested features where the community can "vote" on improvements.

Cons

Development of new features that are highly requested by the community could be responded to faster. There are also some requests that seem more like fixing a bug than a new feature that are ignored completely. These are things that affect our staff on a daily basis, e.g. emails that are automatically sent to customers and clients that have a link to the message thread in the portal where they can respond directly in thread (which is a good thing)- - EXCEPT the link is so cryptic that the average user does not realize it is a link, so they end up emailing us and we spend countless hours copying and pasting just to try to keep our documentation complete. If the developers would make the link more apparent and/or make email replies automatically update the message thread it would be really great.

Jenna D.
Industry: Real Estate

Great for a startup or simple management company

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

Again this is really simple and great for the amount of money but Id love to see more improvements more often. I enjoy using the program and do find it be most of what I need.

Pros

Love how simple this is to use! I personally didnt have a big bookkeeping/accounting background so setting up, implementing and using this was much easier than other software that is for more of an advanced user. Tenant messaging is great! Love the use of resident website.

Cons

Wish I could do more with the tenant emails, notices. I have to use a third party to get really cool looking emails/notices. You cant even really put in a image which would be helpful. Reports are customizable enough. As we are all different I would love to have more options for the reports not just on what info they show, or filter out but the actual width of columns, etc. I dont like to export to spreadsheet then edit. More ability to communicate with all parties on a work order, right now you can only update by checking tenant or owner. Would love to be able to send messages to vendors separate from tenants/owners. Also hate having to make a task then work order, it should really be just a work order. Then you can create a task for other things.

Response from Buildium

Hi Jenna,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We've noted your feedback on emails, reports, and work order communications, and will be passing them along to the appropriate product teams.

Thanks again for the review!

Eyal K.

The Buildium Experiance

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Overall, great software with dedicated team (to the most part).

Pros

Buildiun is a very easy to use software. New features are normally well received by my staff.

Cons

Missing some features. 3rd Party (FORTE) is not customer friendly.

Response from Buildium

Hi Eyal,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are also excited to let you know that Buildium has created its own internal payments platform and is in the process of transitioning its customers over to that system.

Diane P.

Buildium Builds Confidence in Our Owners and Tenants

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

I have come to rely on Buildium always being there when I need to enter information into the system or to generate a report or look up a transaction. I can't remember ever having a time when the system was down or not available. Not having to worry about this gives me peace of mind, and in a sometimes hectic environment, this is important. Buildium is dependable.

Pros

I use Buildium daily and rely on it to enter information that will be used to generate monthly and annual reports. The finished product is easy to read and looks very professional. Our owners know they are in good hands when they can easily see where there money is spent and feel confident that we are protecting their investment. For our tenants, they really like being able to pay their rent on line, saving them time and money. If I have an issue that needs to be resolved, I know I can count on Buildium's customer service department to answer my questions quickly and accurately.

Cons

I understand how this software works now because I have been using it for the past several years, however, there was a little bit of a learning curve. Because I know the limitations of Buildium and how to get around them, there is less and less that I don't like about the software.

Response from Buildium

Diane,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. We know what a tough job property management can be, and we're so happy that we can help bring you peace-of-mind!

We appreciate you as a loyal customer!

Nicole G.

best software

I absolutely love buildium

Pros

easy to setup/use
It cuts my job in half
always adding more features
online portal

Cons

I went from using quickbooks to buildium. The products are night and day. Buildium definetly offers way more. The only issue I have is with the accounting side. I wish it had the capability to track expenses by apartment so I could keep track of renovation costs. You can't customize the reports as much as I would like. QuickBooks had a great feature so you could track and reconcile your loan payments.

Response from Buildium

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We're so happy that Buildium has been able to help save you time. I'll pass your feedback on tracking expenses by apartment over to our product team.

Thanks again!

Karen H.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Best investment of our HOA

Reviewed on 2019/06/04

Bookkeeping and reports are easy to enter and pull. Reconciliations are flawless. When I figured out that we could save documents/invoices by entering all outgoing payments as bills first, it was GREAT! The approval process is really good for checks and balances in our management of the community. One of the issues that I believe will be solved in the next 10 years is that some of our most elderly residents (usually those in their 80's) don't like portals and believe that their information will not be secure. Younger residents don't seem to have the same issues (by younger I mean anyone under 80). In 2017, when we took over management from a management company, we had a treasurer who wanted to do accounting and tracking with spreadsheets and was literally afraid of online software. He was over 80. Because of the time it takes to manage a community as a volunteer, it is usual to have elder individuals involved in boards and committees. We have it down to a handful of those who refuse to go to their portals. Lastly, my request to have an online process for architectural control does not seem to have gotten to the front of the line. It would be so beneficial for us to have that to be able to streamline another process for self-management.

Pros

Buildium has been great for our resident managed HOA. We did a thorough vetting job in choosing our management software, and it has lived up to what we hoped for. The books are right there, and we can allow anyone to see all that is going on at any time. Board members and volunteers have different levels of access, and that has made it easy for reporting. Resident portals are great, and the communication is easy.

Cons

Size of documents/invoices you can is smaller than needed, so I often have to split documents into parts which is annoying. The email took doesn't allow cut and paste of a pdf into the body of text. I always have to send our newsletter as an attachment. Sometimes q & a does not answer my questions for simple things -- such as, I misspelled the name of a new owner, and it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to correct, because there was no answer provided in q & a. My biggest "complaint" would be that this is rental focused in some regard, and we have no tenants. We only have owners, and residents sometimes tell us they are confused by the things that say "tenants" or refer to rentals.

Betsy F.
Industry: Real Estate

With just a few tweaks.. this would be an amazing piece of software.

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Good - pretty responsive to every annoying call I make and I tend to be somewhat tenacious. thanks!

Pros

Tenant tracking, tenant ledger, and reporting of tenant payments. The tenant log on ease and the on line payment process. So for managing tenants - awesome! The features for managing the vendors for repairs - awesome! Love the bulk charges feature.. well designed and functional!

Cons

Some of the interface features.. like when entering a charge.. I always have to scroll to save it... little annoyance.. but why? .. Tighten the window. Allow tabbing and the enter key to move through the screen. I don't want to touch my mouse!
The big frustration is that I can't write a tenant security deposit refund check to multiple tenants - it is by law that all tenants be on the refund check - yes I have figured out workarounds - but it is silly. I now just physically write them on the finished check. It looks stupid - but I don't have time to do my workaround. Fix that! In addition, take a look at the " final report" for the tenant on their none of the important information is visible... (Call me - I can help you!)

The really big thing that would be nice is already programmed with your bulk charges feature.. I want to be able to "Bulk distribute checks to a list of investors" What that means is -I have my list of investors and instead of putting charges on a ledger - put a check entry onto the bank ledger so I could print checks and send them. Using all of the features of the bulk charges - except.. bulk payment. ( We have investors for each building - we pay them dividends several times a year -- same percentage, same names ... but I have to manually enter them. YOU CAN DO IT... I would be so happy!!!!!!!

Paul G.

Buildium features review

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Buildium allows our rental department to stay organized and provides easy and efficient access to data information. I could not imagine doing my daily tasks without Buildium.

Pros

The general format of the total program is good and maybe better than other programs used in the past. I really like the latest update of the status button for work orders

Cons

I do not like that Buildium doesn't have a feature where multiple windows with in Buildium can be open at the same time. (if it exists, forgive me for not knowing how to use it)
I do not like that Buildium doesn't have a back button feature, especially in the tasks and work order screens.
I do not like that Buildium will allow a partial online payment to be received. It should not receive a tenant online payment unless the full balance is being paid. This is a problem when tenants owe for late fees or maybe a repair expense.
I would like to have the auto email option to send a work order to a owner even if the vendor has no email. It only gives that choice if the vendor has an email set up in the system. Some of our vendors receive work orders by phone or text or in person but the owner still needs to know what work is being done.
It might be a nice feature for Buildium to store invoices in the system once a work order is completed. Not just the picture attachment spot within tasks and work orders. it it were a data base maybe or at least folders to store scanned copies.

The work orders feature to add in the vendor parts and labors costs and description still seems cumbersome especially when dollar amounts are entered and then the book keep tries to pay bills. It may be we need Builduim training in this area. it should be a really useful feature.

Sometimes Buildium seems to add double charges under tenants ledger info. Every now and then a random double charge pops up.

Response from Buildium

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We've passed your feedback on directly to our product team. We are currently working on updates to maintenance and work orders, stay tuned!

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Kari B.

Buildium is Easy to Use- always

Reviewed on 2018/08/27

I train multiple users of Buildium to use it, help fix issues as they occur. Buildium makes it very easy to do and explain. I use it everyday doing the books in full for several accounts. I never cringe when investigating accounts for other peoples' errors because Buildium is so clear.

Pros

*Ease of use cannot be overstated
*Screen aren't overly "busy" and the fonts are easily read, layout is obvious
*Accuracy and flexibility to make all accounting coherent and easy to explain to brokers/owners
*Reports generate quickly and while viewable on the screen can zero in on specific transactions, with interactive links
*Ability to email individual reports or export in a variety of printing styles
*Bank reconciliation and tie-out cash to properties and owners and company is simple
*Communications have improved a lot in the past year - SMS tracking communication with tenants is much better.
* banking window is AWESOME Being able to select by property and dates... Wonderful!!

Cons

*Reporting fails - prints two pages when unnecessary, waste of paper, most people want one pagers
- inability to email all owners their statements to each owner all at once. Can email individual reports only. Can't select properties on the fly- have to create a printing Group first.
*Email addresses in owner and tenant records still tried to jump outside of Buildium instead of taking you to a simplified email interface within for tracked communications.
Sometimes it's a little clunky navigating back and forth to common areas like between lease and property
*Inability to produce a Invoice to the owner for reimbursing the broker/property manager or other vendors as needed. Owner statement doesn't reflect bills for the property entered but not yet paid.

Gary V.
Industry: Real Estate

My Perspective of Buildium's Property Management Software, as a Real Estate Broker/Property Manager

Reviewed on 2018/08/25

Buildium was great with helping me with all of my questions that I had regarding their email and text message features. I finally decided to take some time to take a closer look at the features they offered and when I did, I realized how much time I wasted by not using these features earlier. No more copying and pasting emails/photos and text messages to and from tenants and owners (not fun to do).

Pros

I've been a customer of Buildium since 2010. I really like the fact on how Buildium saves me many hours throughout my workweek and helps me cover my tracks at the same time. This is helpful especially during the busy part of my day. One of the many great features that I like in Buildium's is the seamless integration they implemented into their software using a top rated property inspection software. It stores the inspection report with all of the photos and notes in one place for reference at a later date. I use my tablet onsite and the software does the rest. Another plus about Buildium is when I need to open a new work order (either onsite or in the office) for maintenance or a repair issue, I open the work order tab and everything you need is in one convenient place to manage the task from start to finish. Also, on Buildium's home screen, I have a dedicated section where I can review and update the progress of all work orders. In addition, each property manager has access to only their managed properties (specific authorization can be customized too). At the end of the day, all of this information is easy to locate, view, share and export and I know where to go if I need it. There Is So Much More...!

Cons

There's really not much that I could say about what I like "least" about Buildium. I say this because, they constantly make improvements and implement new features on a regular basis. There really is very little opportunity to say, "... I wish there was a better way to do this task..." They also ask for feedback on occasion and I like that too. I found that if there's a popular request made to Buildium they act on it and they implement those new features. All of their users can request and track new requests through their forum. A very transparent company who is serious about making my day easier, Buildium!

Monique D.

The Cadillac of HOA/Condo/Property Management

Reviewed on 2018/08/24

I have searched far and wide and Buildium is the best available for HOA/property management. I use it for all my monthly paying accounts, and find that the professional statements which are easily generated make managing the finances uncomplicated. Overall, Buildium is super customer friendly and has always met my expectations in the five years that I have been with them.

Pros

This software is mandatory if you have monthly payments for properties. It accepts EFT/Debit/Credit Cards and has a very user friendly approach to keeping financial records on individual homeowners in perfect shape.

They also allow easy access for homeowners to both their own account and payments, and to governing documents, minutes, etc at any time.

Imputing the payments and checks etc is easy and personalizing the accounting categories to fit your business is a snap.

It pulls up a roster of homeowners and when someone moves out, changing out the account name takes seconds instead of laborious work in other spreadsheets etc.

The to-do tasks list is very helpful for sharing among a busy office.

In a Buildium vs spreadsheet choice, I would pick Buildium every time for accuracy, professionalism and most importantly ease of use. I pull down a list and print up invoices from many time periods, and to email the late invoices, is simply a matter of 2 seconds to pull up the right file and hit the correct button.

Cons

The non-bending method of making payments - where they require the vendor to log in and invoice directly vs just allowing me to make quick payments to say the lawn guy or other vendors who wouldn't know a computer if it smacked them in the face. I do not use this portion of the software.

I have also asked them repeatedly to sell a 'lite' version of the subscription. One where they charge less for seasonal payments. I have several HOAs that only pay once a year, and can't use Buildium because it is cost prohibitive to have an account open for 12 months that only has one payment per year. They need to have a Florida/AZ/Seasonal version at a lower rate that has limited payments.

Response from Buildium

Hi Monique,

Thank you so much for your review! We're so thrilled we've been able to help meet a lot of your management needs over the past 5 years. We've made a note of your feedback regarding vendor payments and Buildium "Lite", and will pass it along to our product team!

Brett H.
Industry: Real Estate

small owner owned property management company

Reviewed on 2018/08/24

My overall experience has been great with one exception. SUPPORT. support has been exceptional when it comes to the usage of the software but when it comes to the syndication part it is subpar have had several cases open with no response or answer for days or even weeks. Right now I have a case open for more than 20 days that the person has yet to get back with me.

Pros

I like the fact you can attach documents to just about every transaction, property, lease, tenant, and so fourth. I wish you could attach multiple documents to each. I like the automatic banking and online payment option. It reduces the time I have to make entries manually. I like the syndication option and wish it would push to even more websites. I like the tenant portal and the ability for tenants to log maintenance requests. I like the communication function. It allows easy documentation of all of my communication between me and my tenant. Basically all the features that allow automation and give me the ability to minimize my time managing the properties.

Cons

I don't like the fact that if a payment is rejected the software doesn't automatically go back and apply the late fee base on the rules setup. I don't like that some transactions can only have one attachment. I don't like the fact that you can't setup recurring general ledger transactions. I don't like the fact that you can't text multiple numbers at once. I absolutely hate the format of the excel reports. It would be great if the reports could combine both properties and company as well.

Response from Buildium

Hi Brett,

Thank you for your honest review! We're sorry you've haven't had a great experience regarding syndication. A team lead from our support team will be reaching out to you to discuss your experience with syndication further.