Buildium Reviews

4.5/5 (1068 reviews)
Karen H.

Best investment of our HOA

Reviewed on 2019/06/04

Bookkeeping and reports are easy to enter and pull. Reconciliations are flawless. When I figured out that we could save documents/invoices by entering all outgoing payments as bills first, it was GREAT! The approval process is really good for checks and balances in our management of the community. One of the issues that I believe will be solved in the next 10 years is that some of our most elderly residents (usually those in their 80's) don't like portals and believe that their information will not be secure. Younger residents don't seem to have the same issues (by younger I mean anyone under 80). In 2017, when we took over management from a management company, we had a treasurer who wanted to do accounting and tracking with spreadsheets and was literally afraid of online software. He was over 80. Because of the time it takes to manage a community as a volunteer, it is usual to have elder individuals involved in boards and committees. We have it down to a handful of those who refuse to go to their portals. Lastly, my request to have an online process for architectural control does not seem to have gotten to the front of the line. It would be so beneficial for us to have that to be able to streamline another process for self-management.

Pros

Buildium has been great for our resident managed HOA. We did a thorough vetting job in choosing our management software, and it has lived up to what we hoped for. The books are right there, and we can allow anyone to see all that is going on at any time. Board members and volunteers have different levels of access, and that has made it easy for reporting. Resident portals are great, and the communication is easy.

Cons

Size of documents/invoices you can is smaller than needed, so I often have to split documents into parts which is annoying. The email took doesn't allow cut and paste of a pdf into the body of text. I always have to send our newsletter as an attachment. Sometimes q & a does not answer my questions for simple things -- such as, I misspelled the name of a new owner, and it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to correct, because there was no answer provided in q & a. My biggest "complaint" would be that this is rental focused in some regard, and we have no tenants. We only have owners, and residents sometimes tell us they are confused by the things that say "tenants" or refer to rentals.

Jeff W.

Great Product That Allows Scalability

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

Buildium has been overall fantastic. I allows me and my team to quickly review and address the most important details such as current & upcoming vacancies, work orders and unpaid rents. It creates easily readable reports such balance sheet, income statements and rent rolls.

Pros

I like to start things with the end in mind. I knew I eventually wanted to own a large real estate investment/property management company though I was small at the time. I looked at several PM software products and even briefly used 2 before Buildium. The reason I began using Buildium is it had all of the features I knew I would eventually need. It was the only PM software that offered so many features and priced based upon only having a few rentals. Other fully functional PM software products require 50+ units to sign up or be close to cost effective.
I now have 70 units and plan to stay with Buildium because of how functional and convenient it is. Not to mention the awesome customer support.

Cons

Buildium constantly is adding and improving features. There are a couple of items I hope they eventually improve. There is a feature that allows for the creation of an electronic lease. During this process one can also set up initial financials/lease ledger. I have yet to use the eLease feature smoothly and I have to manually start the lease. Additionally, I have been unable to access the signed eLeases from Buildium though you do get an emailed copy.
The other feature I would like to see created would be a simplified tenant transfer process. The current process of moving a tenant from one of your units to another is cumbersome.

Response from Buildium

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your honest review! We've passed along your feedback to our product team. We're happy you chose Buildium, and can't wait to continue to grow with your company!

Betsy F.

With just a few tweaks.. this would be an amazing piece of software.

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Good - pretty responsive to every annoying call I make and I tend to be somewhat tenacious. thanks!

Pros

Tenant tracking, tenant ledger, and reporting of tenant payments. The tenant log on ease and the on line payment process. So for managing tenants - awesome! The features for managing the vendors for repairs - awesome! Love the bulk charges feature.. well designed and functional!

Cons

Some of the interface features.. like when entering a charge.. I always have to scroll to save it... little annoyance.. but why? .. Tighten the window. Allow tabbing and the enter key to move through the screen. I don't want to touch my mouse!
The big frustration is that I can't write a tenant security deposit refund check to multiple tenants - it is by law that all tenants be on the refund check - yes I have figured out workarounds - but it is silly. I now just physically write them on the finished check. It looks stupid - but I don't have time to do my workaround. Fix that! In addition, take a look at the " final report" for the tenant on their none of the important information is visible... (Call me - I can help you!)

The really big thing that would be nice is already programmed with your bulk charges feature.. I want to be able to "Bulk distribute checks to a list of investors" What that means is -I have my list of investors and instead of putting charges on a ledger - put a check entry onto the bank ledger so I could print checks and send them. Using all of the features of the bulk charges - except.. bulk payment. ( We have investors for each building - we pay them dividends several times a year -- same percentage, same names ... but I have to manually enter them. YOU CAN DO IT... I would be so happy!!!!!!!

Paul G.

Buildium features review

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Buildium allows our rental department to stay organized and provides easy and efficient access to data information. I could not imagine doing my daily tasks without Buildium.

Pros

The general format of the total program is good and maybe better than other programs used in the past. I really like the latest update of the status button for work orders

Cons

I do not like that Buildium doesn't have a feature where multiple windows with in Buildium can be open at the same time. (if it exists, forgive me for not knowing how to use it)
I do not like that Buildium doesn't have a back button feature, especially in the tasks and work order screens.
I do not like that Buildium will allow a partial online payment to be received. It should not receive a tenant online payment unless the full balance is being paid. This is a problem when tenants owe for late fees or maybe a repair expense.
I would like to have the auto email option to send a work order to a owner even if the vendor has no email. It only gives that choice if the vendor has an email set up in the system. Some of our vendors receive work orders by phone or text or in person but the owner still needs to know what work is being done.
It might be a nice feature for Buildium to store invoices in the system once a work order is completed. Not just the picture attachment spot within tasks and work orders. it it were a data base maybe or at least folders to store scanned copies.

The work orders feature to add in the vendor parts and labors costs and description still seems cumbersome especially when dollar amounts are entered and then the book keep tries to pay bills. It may be we need Builduim training in this area. it should be a really useful feature.

Sometimes Buildium seems to add double charges under tenants ledger info. Every now and then a random double charge pops up.

Response from Buildium

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We've passed your feedback on directly to our product team. We are currently working on updates to maintenance and work orders, stay tuned!

5.0/10
Kari B.

Buildium is Easy to Use- always

Reviewed on 2018/08/27

I train multiple users of Buildium to use it, help fix issues as they occur. Buildium makes it very easy to do and explain. I use it everyday doing the books in full for several accounts. I never cringe when investigating accounts for other peoples' errors because Buildium is so clear.

Pros

*Ease of use cannot be overstated
*Screen aren't overly "busy" and the fonts are easily read, layout is obvious
*Accuracy and flexibility to make all accounting coherent and easy to explain to brokers/owners
*Reports generate quickly and while viewable on the screen can zero in on specific transactions, with interactive links
*Ability to email individual reports or export in a variety of printing styles
*Bank reconciliation and tie-out cash to properties and owners and company is simple
*Communications have improved a lot in the past year - SMS tracking communication with tenants is much better.
* banking window is AWESOME Being able to select by property and dates... Wonderful!!

Cons

*Reporting fails - prints two pages when unnecessary, waste of paper, most people want one pagers
- inability to email all owners their statements to each owner all at once. Can email individual reports only. Can't select properties on the fly- have to create a printing Group first.
*Email addresses in owner and tenant records still tried to jump outside of Buildium instead of taking you to a simplified email interface within for tracked communications.
Sometimes it's a little clunky navigating back and forth to common areas like between lease and property
*Inability to produce a Invoice to the owner for reimbursing the broker/property manager or other vendors as needed. Owner statement doesn't reflect bills for the property entered but not yet paid.

Gary V.

My Perspective of Buildium's Property Management Software, as a Real Estate Broker/Property Manager

Reviewed on 2018/08/25

Buildium was great with helping me with all of my questions that I had regarding their email and text message features. I finally decided to take some time to take a closer look at the features they offered and when I did, I realized how much time I wasted by not using these features earlier. No more copying and pasting emails/photos and text messages to and from tenants and owners (not fun to do).

Pros

I've been a customer of Buildium since 2010. I really like the fact on how Buildium saves me many hours throughout my workweek and helps me cover my tracks at the same time. This is helpful especially during the busy part of my day. One of the many great features that I like in Buildium's is the seamless integration they implemented into their software using a top rated property inspection software. It stores the inspection report with all of the photos and notes in one place for reference at a later date. I use my tablet onsite and the software does the rest. Another plus about Buildium is when I need to open a new work order (either onsite or in the office) for maintenance or a repair issue, I open the work order tab and everything you need is in one convenient place to manage the task from start to finish. Also, on Buildium's home screen, I have a dedicated section where I can review and update the progress of all work orders. In addition, each property manager has access to only their managed properties (specific authorization can be customized too). At the end of the day, all of this information is easy to locate, view, share and export and I know where to go if I need it. There Is So Much More...!

Cons

There's really not much that I could say about what I like "least" about Buildium. I say this because, they constantly make improvements and implement new features on a regular basis. There really is very little opportunity to say, "... I wish there was a better way to do this task..." They also ask for feedback on occasion and I like that too. I found that if there's a popular request made to Buildium they act on it and they implement those new features. All of their users can request and track new requests through their forum. A very transparent company who is serious about making my day easier, Buildium!

Monique D.

The Cadillac of HOA/Condo/Property Management

Reviewed on 2018/08/24

I have searched far and wide and Buildium is the best available for HOA/property management. I use it for all my monthly paying accounts, and find that the professional statements which are easily generated make managing the finances uncomplicated. Overall, Buildium is super customer friendly and has always met my expectations in the five years that I have been with them.

Pros

This software is mandatory if you have monthly payments for properties. It accepts EFT/Debit/Credit Cards and has a very user friendly approach to keeping financial records on individual homeowners in perfect shape.

They also allow easy access for homeowners to both their own account and payments, and to governing documents, minutes, etc at any time.

Imputing the payments and checks etc is easy and personalizing the accounting categories to fit your business is a snap.

It pulls up a roster of homeowners and when someone moves out, changing out the account name takes seconds instead of laborious work in other spreadsheets etc.

The to-do tasks list is very helpful for sharing among a busy office.

In a Buildium vs spreadsheet choice, I would pick Buildium every time for accuracy, professionalism and most importantly ease of use. I pull down a list and print up invoices from many time periods, and to email the late invoices, is simply a matter of 2 seconds to pull up the right file and hit the correct button.

Cons

The non-bending method of making payments - where they require the vendor to log in and invoice directly vs just allowing me to make quick payments to say the lawn guy or other vendors who wouldn't know a computer if it smacked them in the face. I do not use this portion of the software.

I have also asked them repeatedly to sell a 'lite' version of the subscription. One where they charge less for seasonal payments. I have several HOAs that only pay once a year, and can't use Buildium because it is cost prohibitive to have an account open for 12 months that only has one payment per year. They need to have a Florida/AZ/Seasonal version at a lower rate that has limited payments.

Response from Buildium

Hi Monique,

Thank you so much for your review! We're so thrilled we've been able to help meet a lot of your management needs over the past 5 years. We've made a note of your feedback regarding vendor payments and Buildium "Lite", and will pass it along to our product team!

Brett H.

small owner owned property management company

Reviewed on 2018/08/24

My overall experience has been great with one exception. SUPPORT. support has been exceptional when it comes to the usage of the software but when it comes to the syndication part it is subpar have had several cases open with no response or answer for days or even weeks. Right now I have a case open for more than 20 days that the person has yet to get back with me.

Pros

I like the fact you can attach documents to just about every transaction, property, lease, tenant, and so fourth. I wish you could attach multiple documents to each. I like the automatic banking and online payment option. It reduces the time I have to make entries manually. I like the syndication option and wish it would push to even more websites. I like the tenant portal and the ability for tenants to log maintenance requests. I like the communication function. It allows easy documentation of all of my communication between me and my tenant. Basically all the features that allow automation and give me the ability to minimize my time managing the properties.

Cons

I don't like the fact that if a payment is rejected the software doesn't automatically go back and apply the late fee base on the rules setup. I don't like that some transactions can only have one attachment. I don't like the fact that you can't setup recurring general ledger transactions. I don't like the fact that you can't text multiple numbers at once. I absolutely hate the format of the excel reports. It would be great if the reports could combine both properties and company as well.

Response from Buildium

Hi Brett,

Thank you for your honest review! We're sorry you've haven't had a great experience regarding syndication. A team lead from our support team will be reaching out to you to discuss your experience with syndication further.

Pamela J.

We have been using Buildium for just over two years now and I could not love it more!

Reviewed on 2018/02/02

I had been using a DOS based management program for nearly 20 years and had to go online due to the changes in technology. It was a very stressful time trying to find a program that could do what we needed and was affordable and that I could manage on my own. Buildium has been the answer. We LOVE the online payment option for our tenants and landlord. We LOVE all the reports and the way the accounting process is set up. Most of all, we LOVE the excellent customer support we recieve from the Buildium team. The whole experience has been outstanding.

Pros

The customer service is OUTSTANDING! There is no way to be able to solve all the problems of transitioning to a new program on your own; I tried that with another program, using the excellent documentation they had provided but was never able to overcome some of the posting problems I encountered. I ended up frustrated and stressed out from being unable to understand how the program wanted me to do things. However, when I ran into any problem with the Buildium program, all I have to do is submit a support ticket. I normally recieve an answer back within 24 hours. If it is a serious problem, I call customer service and I am ALWAYS able to reach a LIVE, FRIENDLY, American speaking Specialist that is able to see what my program is doing and walk me through the problem to the point that I can manage it and they always explain what is going on so I can understand it!! It is the absolute best program I have ever used, in any field, in my entire 40 year career in Property Management! And they are constantly updating the program and making it better! I don't think I have ever been happier with a buying decision in my life. I highly recommend this program and company to anyone who is going to be managing real estate.

Cons

The ONLY thing I can think of that I don't like about this program is that one of the report sorts I use is done by the owner first name, instead of last name and the security depsoit breakdown report is done by Owner name, instead of the Tenant Name. Other than that, I can not think of a single thing to complain about. It is a great company!

Response from Buildium

Hi Pamela,
Thank you for leaving your review. Your opinion is invaluable to us and we're so pleased to hear about your positive experience with Buildium!

Elizabeth Gill
Senior Customer Marketing Manager

Sheila L.

Like Buildium so much!

Reviewed on 2014/06/07
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

We're a somewhat small Property Management company in California with about 140 units, and I like a lot of things about Buildium. The customer service reps are helpful and polite, which is so noticeable today. They know what they are talking about, and I understand their explanations; they speak clearly and in good English, especially with accounting questions, as accounting is so confusing to me. I like the ease of using the program; I quickly adjusted to it. I seldom need to call customer service, as I can figure things out myself 90% of the time. As time goes on (we've been using Buildium only since December 2013), I keep finding new reasons to like the program. I haven't even used all of the capabilities that it offers. The lease ledger setup, entering payments, check writing, using reports, figuring out where we are in our bank account, and more are easy. I love how if I make a mistake, correcting it is easy, which wasn't the case with our old system. What I really like about the program is that Buildium tweaks its program frequently based on input from customers. They seem to listen to customer needs and make changes. I've really noticed this, and it is very positive! When we were looking at new software cost was important, and Buildium offered one of the best values. But because the cost was so competitive, I worried that we might regret going with Buildium. Some of the other companies really pushed their software hard and put down Buildium and some other companies, but we're happy now that we've been using Buildium for seven months, and we have no plans to go with any competitor's software in the future.

Cons

The system slows down sometimes around 4 or 5PM Pacific time, but I'm not sure that it's Buildium's fault. We're in California, and customer service phone help ends at 2:00 PM Pacific Time, and it seems that when I occasionally want to call, it's after 2:00 PM, which is a little frustrating. The reports are great, but there is just one report which I used to run on my old program that isn't available on Buildium in the same format. Otherwise, I've found all the reports so far that I need. I really can't think of anything else of significance that Buildium doesn't offer.

Kelvin H.

Pretty good software for our small property company

Reviewed on 2014/03/25
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The software is easy to use across multiple platforms; I can use it from my smartphone, tablet, or from a PC with an internet connection. It has lots of useful features.

As a six-property small company, we only use a few of the features so far. We started using it for the accounting. But there is more; I especially like the applicant tracking feature which we used for the first time in the past month. It happened to be integrated with a product we actually already used for credit/background checks. I was able to send a prospective tenant a link to the website Buildium produces for you where the tenant could complete the application online. I then sent links for the SmartMove credit/background check to the prospect. It all fed back into Buildium and even notified the prospects of our decision by email.

There is also a way to post new listings online with Zillow, Trulia, etc. from within Buildium. As we were already set up for another method, I have not used it yet but will likely try on the next property we have available. It allows you to add property pictures, property descriptions and leasing information that would save time on properties with higher turnover. There is a built-in website-making function that has a lot of potential to set your tenants up with accounting and other information online.

There is a method for setting up payments online too, but it's tied into just one vendor. As I don't want to give up any percentage of the rent we receive to a credit card company, I'm not using that one myself. I'm not sure if you could use other vendors for online payments. I do plan on setting up my tenants online so they can see the payments we have posted for them and their lease information. They will also be able to request maintenance items online, too, which would be helpful in our tracking of such items.

Cons

There is a learning curve to figuring out how to effectively use the software. Also, there are some things it won't do without a workaround from an accounting standpoint. We have mortgages on some property which takes a workaround to account for properly. Also, the payment method assumes you cut a check or use their EFT system. In reality, we usually use a credit card and pay off that bill. But we have to account for it by pretending that we cut a check. Not a dealbreaker, but it takes some work sometimes to figure out the workaround for a given situation. The Help function is useful, and I am sure contacting the company would work too (although we have not needed to contact them for questions so far).

Tom L.

Reviewed on 2013/01/30
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We've been using Buildium for about 2 years, long enough to get a good feel for its strengths and weaknesses. My overall impression is that this is a good product for small to medium size residential property management firms (10-100 units). If you have fewer than 10, this product is overkill. If more than 100, you'll probably find it too simplistic. The product is geared to residential properties and residential associations. Managing commercial portfolios with it can be difficult.

The Good:
Accounting functionality is pretty strong. GL, AR, AP, budgets and property ledgers are handled seamlessly. Very easy to use even for beginners. I like the global search functionality. You can pretty much find anything using it without navigating through the menus. Pricing is relatively inexpensive.

It's cloud-based, so you don't have to maintain any software on your own computers. You can access it anywhere with a web browser. Some people see this as a negative, but we've not had any issues with Buildium being down unexpectedly. The scheduled maintenance times are generally late at night.

Support is good if you're having problems with the standard functionality. In general I would say the support staff understands their product well. And you can get them on the phone to explain things. That's becoming less common with companies today.

Document management is hit & miss. I love that I can post a PDF receipt for every expense right there in the ledger. However, documents at the property- or owner level are less helpful. It's just one big bucket per property or owner. Having a folder structure would be a big help. (Not there today.)

Buildium offers tenant bill-pay through an online portal for rent payments, and also outbound electronic payments to property owners. It's done through a 3rd party vendor and at additional cost. This is a double-edged sword. Very convenient; it makes the bookkeeping entries for you automatically. But if you're doing outbound payments, make sure to treat it just like an online banking account (long passwords, be careful of who in your office has access to it, etc.) Allowing for extra security questions or letting users limit the IP addresses that have this outbound payment functionality would be helpful.

The Bad:
As noted, you'll get frustrated if you're trying to use this for commercial properties. The designers make assumptions that you're doing residential.

CRM functionality is practically non-existent. This is an accounting package. They do have some decent (and customizable) postal-mail templates and can do mail-merge so you can send notices to tenants and owners. But this does not extend to email. You'll need another product to do CRM and do double data entry between systems.

There is no integration layer or API, so no chance of integrating this with your CRM system or generating custom reports.

The reports, while nice-looking, are as-is and not customizable in any way. You're stuck with what they give you. They make some odd design decisions sometimes. For example, you can't generate an association owner invoice for an owner who lives someplace other than the managed property. The invoice is always addressed to the managed property, even if you entered a different mailing address for the owner, as if an association owner would never rent out the property. These types of oddities abound, and the product support folks will never acknowledge it as a problem. They'll tell you to fill out an enhancement request, which may be considered for implementation someday, or may not. You'll never know. Providing a way to customize reports or providing an API would help in this area.

In Summary:
Buildium is good at what it does, but what it does is pretty limited. You will likely be happy if you're in their demographic sweet spot (10-100 residential units). It's cheap enough to sign up and try it out to see if it's right for you. If you manage commercial properties, have a very large or complex portfolio, or need integrated CRM capabilities, it's probably not for you.

Leuri Z.

Buildium - Easy to Use, Improving on Features

Reviewed on 2019/02/25

I know Property Managers trying to manage properties using spreadsheets. I can't imaging trying to run 41 units on a spreadsheet so I love the ability to compartmentalize all the components of Property Management. I love the ability to receive all payments, including cash, electronically without having to run a deposit to the bank. While I think your Customer Tech Support is great, there are times that I am able to figure out how something works and why it works that way, faster than Tech Support and sometimes they can't figure it out, I have to tell them the logic behind how it works.

Pros

User friendly, accounting functions easy to adapt and correct. Great tech support. Integration of application information porting to Tenant ledger is improving. Like the auto transactions to move Pre-paid rents to actual rents.

Cons

Inability to edit a task description. Inability to run a "snapshot" report for some GL accounts (which always pick up the current balance instead of selecting the balance as of a given date, lazy programming). Appfolio features integrated leases as a basic feature, not an additional service for elease, which is cumbersome and expensive for smaller companies. Appfolio also provides a scheduling feature at no additional charge. However, Buildium's accounting/office backend is vastly superior to Appfolio. Overall, I like Buildium and its'user-friendly platform.

Response from Buildium

Hi Leuri,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We've passed your feedback directly to both our product team and our customer care department.

Thanks again for your honest review!

John R.

Buildium has grown with my company

Reviewed on 2018/09/06

My company was been with Buildium since 2009. I have been very pleased with the platform, but have been especially impressed with their customer service. Any time my team has an issue, Buildium's reps are quick to respond. I've also had a great experience working with our Customer Success Manager, who has kept me in the loop on new features and given me opportunities to directly offer my feedback to the product development team. I have been very transparent with everyone in saying that Buildium does 90% of the things I would like it to do...and I'll add they do them very well and at a reasonable price. The last 10% are things that are (in part) best accomplished by "playing nice with others" via an accessible API. I sincerely hope that Buildium keeps its forward-looking approach it has displayed of late and continues innovating and listening to the needs of its customers. If they do, I look forward to continuing to grow my organization with Buildium playing a key role.

Pros

*Interface is clean and easy to navigate
*Great learning platform (Buildium Academy)
*Well-priced vs competition
*Continually adding new features
*Fantastic customer support
*Product development team has been very open to hearing our experience

Cons

*Could use more customization in reporting, though they have made some major strides recently
*Dashboard is limited and doesn't give as much info visually as I'd like
*Closed platform (API) only working with their chosen vendors
*Geared more toward single-family properties vs multifamily (could use a make-ready/turnover board)
*Limited workflows/checklists around repeating tasks

Tom M.

Staff has been excellent. Software is very good. I like that they listen and will add features!

Reviewed on 2018/01/24

Saves time and allows better communication with tenants

Pros

Ease of use. Very intuitive design. It is customized for Property Management and for rental owners.

Cons

Their are a few functionality items that I would like to see added. I do understand that it is not efficient to add a feature based on only a few people requesting it. The reset password link to tenants needs to be looked at. When you reset a tenant password, the link expires after 10-15 minutes. That pretty much means you have to be on the phone with them to make sure they are in front of a computer when you reset. However, most of our requests for a reset come via e-mail and when we respond and do the rest, we can not guarantee the end user is going to take action right away. I understand security, but a 24 hour expiration on a password reset would be more reasonable. Security-wise,...if someone hacks into a tenant user account the only thing they can really do is post a work order or pay the persons rent for them. Hacker has no reason to get into someones Tenant account so no need for such short time frame on password reset procedures.

Response from Buildium

Hi Tom, Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts! In regards to your comments around password reset timing, we realize this can be inconvenient and are actively working on a solution so tenants can request a new password after expiration without needing to contact their property manager. Stay tuned for an update. Thank you again for your honest feedback!

Kirsten G.

The problem we have with Buildium

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

We really do like Buildium (a lot) in so many ways; however, we continue to try out other software ONLY due to the tax issue causing us audit issues.

Pros

To many to list - I really like all of the many great features.

Cons

The online help is mostly outdated/missing steps- it RARELY includes all the steps required resulting in calling the support line, using valuable time on hold & no assurance of receiving a call back, the time difference, we have a limited window as is. Being closed weekends& all holidays is very frustrating.
The Academy is very basic entry and great info but we often are not in that perfect world, video of common problems would be very helpful from the helpline as they often say we see this a lot!! Only talking to the support line do you understand how to do perform the entry, this could Free up the support line for uncommon issues.
For a Canadian Company it is very upsetting that GST has not been ignored for a long time, this is requirement by law and one that has cost us a great deal of time - it is not a wish or would like to have, it is an essential MUST have, yet, Buildium is working on improving features such as communicating more efficiently with texts, etc. These are great features but compared to Tax and Government it simply feels like you are not concerned with the needs of your Canadian Clients.
We had an issue with moving in new tenants it auto applied a payment for the deposits, Buildium was over 4 mths replying&we had to bug Buildium for an answer. We missed it on 1 ledger cost us a lot of time trying to find out why our bank Acct was short. Still no solution, its now sporadic. I sure hope it isn’t affecting any large companies. (only 3 con items :))

Stephanie M.

Buildium spells Property Manager's Relief

Reviewed on 2018/08/28

We have been using Buildium for over 9 years now and it was by far the best decision for our company. Being a web-based system our staff/vendors have the flexibility to work anywhere with an internet connection and even on their phones. Buildium is constantly providing updates and new features to grow with their customers. Alexis is our customer service rep and she is fantastic!! They always listen to their customers and accept feedback and ideas. We continue to be impressed not only by their outstanding products for the Property Management industry but also by their excellent customer service and their fantastic, always positive, attitude in the process. Excellent product. Amazing people. We will continue to recommend Buildium without hesitation.

Pros

The flexibility of our company to operate and fully function without being in the office. Our staff can work from anywhere even from their phones. This has afforded us the ability to have live updates on all facets of our business and have a pulse on everything going on at the same time. We can even do it from the beach! I have also never worked with another company that is so willing to work with their clients to provide features and services requested. Their customer service is simply exceptional!

Cons

There are some areas that could be improved but we have submitted our ideas and Alexis is amazing and always working hard to ensure our ideas, concepts and feedback are heard by their software developers.

Lisa G.

Reviewed on 2018/08/24

Overall it's a good software and we have been pleased with the ease of use and their ability to take requests and make changes to the software

Pros

I really like the ease of use. It's pretty simple to figure out for both managers and tenants. Tenants are able to pay their rent online which has made collecting rent and on time payments so much better.

Cons

The software has the ability to take payments for multiple months however in order to properly apply them on the months when you need to it doesn't have an automatic feature. Also, it would be nice if there was a way to go to a specific tenant and make payments on multiple accounts without having to go out to each account separately. We have storage units as well as properties and some tenants have multiple units. They would like to only make one payment that could be dispersed to all the accounts instead of multiple payments. It would be nice if the property manager was able to do that as well. In addition, I don't like the integration of the mobile app for the software. It's clunky and difficult to use. The older version was more user friendly.

Response from Buildium

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your honest review!

We just released an automatic prepaid rent feature in July! Our support team would be happy to walk you through how it works if you give us a call at 888-414-1988!

Great Software, Better People

Reviewed on 2018/08/25

Overall, our company enjoys using Buildium. We probably wouldn't be able to manage all the properties we have with our old system. Buildium has made us more efficient and improved our company's workflow.

Pros

Buildium is everything you need as a property owner/manager. We have used Buildium for nearly three years and manage several hundred properties with it. It lists owners, tenants, and vendors. It makes your property accounting easy. Tenants can log in to their own portal and see their balance pay their rent. Owners can log in and see everything they need to see. The reports look good and are easy to read. When a property becomes vacant, Buildium can post that vacancy to multiple websites where prospective tenants can find the units.

In my experience, though, the people at Buildium have been the best part about Buildium. They are helpful, they are considerate, and they are knowledgable. I have spoken and met with Buildium reps and each time it was a pleasent and enjoyable experience.

Cons

The software is big, it does a lot. This can be daunting to overcome for some (this shouldn't be a reason not to use it). Occasionally, you will come across something that doesn't make sense, but not often. Buildium is always updating and improving performance.

Rental Management Software that just works!!

Reviewed on 2019/01/26

We used to use QuickBooks, it is not geared towards property managers. QuickBooks has a set of vast libraries of functions to cover way to many different businesses. Buildium is made for just that reason. Buildium has saved us a lot. We no longer need a bookkeeper to handle the simple task of day to day entries.

Pros

Buildium is an awesome piece on software, easy to learn. They have video tutorials for almost everything the software is designed to do. When I run into something I don't have time to go find the answer to I just call them, their support is the best. They have walked me through several situations in a kind and generous way. Buildium has tenant and property owner login pages so that they can see how or company is handling their properties, I can receive payments online. Tenants can submit repair items online as well. The list goes on & on.

Cons

Buildium is not geared to do all of your bookkeeping in. If you chose to go this route there is some double entering that you will have to do. I think they should develop a setting that could be changed to do just that. My business keeps the money on the books, you have to redeposit the money back into the main business account on several of the functions if you plan to use it as your bookkeeping software.

Amy c elkins H.

Its good but not great

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

They have been good and I am thankful for them. I have been actively researching other companies and considering seriously making a move. I almost did mid 2018 & their rep talked me out of it and I regret listening to her. They need to be able to keep up with the newest and latest technology that others are offering.

Pros

It does help you get organized & backs up all the information so you won't lose it. I like that it integrates our vacant properties to the web. But there is nothing they do special now at this point that every other big name PM software provider is not offering and some doing more cheaper.

Cons

It is not as user friendly as we would like. There are multiple steps to go through to get to basic info or areas you need to input that should be easier. It lacks some of the features that other companies have such as reporting to credit, collections assistance and their company they use for payments is horrible. I am not a fan of Forte at all! It takes too long to have electronic funds transferring. They take it from my account immediately but they are super slow everywhere else. I had how the book keeping is done in general. I wish they would collect fees from payments and not have the credit debit system with us because it is a nightmare doing your books t

7.0/10
Melissa S.

Intuitive & Efficient

Reviewed on 2019/02/22

I think my overall experience has been very good. This software has saved me a lot of time and streamlines several things about my business. I am a "one woman show" and manage over 120 units pretty much by myself. I wouldn't be able to do that without Buildium.

Pros

For the most part, the software is pretty intuitive. I like the tenants and owners have their own portal for payments, communication, etc. Using them for the credit & criminal background checks makes it very easy. The software has features I haven't touched yet, but can't wait to get to! The customer service is very good. While I prefer to call and speak directly with someone, the ability to submit "tickets" and get responses that way is nice.

Cons

When changes are made to the software, I don't receive notice of the change occurring, what it's about, what does the change mean to me, etc. Unless I know to go looking for it.

Response from Buildium

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We release new features once a month, and you can find information on each item by clicking on the "What's New" bell in the top right corner of the software! We also have a What's New webinar every quarter - we have one coming up in March! Stay tuned for an invite to register in your email.

Thanks again for your review!

Paul S.

Best property management software out there!

Reviewed on 2018/08/25

We have increased our communication with our tenants, have a more professional looking user interface, provide the ability for our tenants to pay rent via ACH online, switched over to eleases with electronic signatures, and now store all of our documents online within Buildium.

Pros

I love the fact that it’s web-based, so you don’t have to continuously purchase upgrades to the software itself. Also, there are no back ups to make, because it’s all maintained online. Anyone on my team who has access to our account can see what they need to see based on their role in the company. It’s easy to track checks and deposits, reconcile bank accounts, keep track of management fees, bills to be paid, vendor contact information, lease documents, rent amounts, listings, and tenant contact information. it interfaces well with our website, so applicants and property manager don’t have to deal with paper. Love the e-lease feature, the ability to do credit checks , and track our tasks from virtually anywhere. Also, Buildium is constantly adding new features based on the latest technology. It’s awesome!

Cons

Nothing. I’ve had very few issues over the years and when I have, be a online support is superb.

Steve J.

Easy to use and intuitive.

Reviewed on 2017/06/07
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Buildium is a good choice for someone who manages at least 50 units or more. it is easy to learn and has more features than you will probably ever use but probably has ever feature that you want. The onboarding process and customer service have been great! They are continually upgrading and improving the software and will hopefully address a couple of the issues that I have.

Pros

Buildium was an easy to learn and a great improvement over my outdated property management software. There are many great automated features such as automatic recording of online deposits, epay to vendors and owner/tenant portals that have saved me time and have improved communication with my tenants and owners. I like a feature that allows me to set convenience fee amounts for online tenant payments and allows me to keep the fees generated! This feature was the main reason I went with Buildium.

Cons

I am new to online software so this may be common but I do not like how pending tenant payments post to my Buildium bank account before they show up in my actual bank account. A day or two later the payment is confirmed as funded. I don't think they should post until the payment is funded, not when it is initiated by the tenant. My previous software would calculate management fees on a payment only one time and would not allow you to double charge management fees. The Buildium management fee is just a calculator based on a date range. If you enter the wrong date you could easily charge another management fee on a previous rental payment. This has, by far, been the hardest transition for me. Their solution was to recommend only charging for management fees once per month which doesn't seem practical in property management. Most companies need the management fees to operate during the month. The best price point is for someone who manages 200 or more properties. I would like to see competitive pricing for smaller numbers of properties.

7.0/10

Very intuitive software with broad feature set. Elaborate instructions to search for any questions.

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

Good software for a small to medium sized company. Easy to train on and use quickly.

Pros

Good bang for the buck for Property Management software. The basics are all there along with good tracking features in comparison to other Property Management software. There functions are easily searchable on either the platform itself or Google, and the help desk is immensely helpful in implementing necessary tweaks and features to tailor to your specific business.

The daily main functions have all been fairly polished within the last year, and run very smoothly. The software itself is easy to figure out and with some playing around, any person can become a power user within a few days of use.

Cons

There are some limitations in comparison to other Property Management software, usually not found until delving fairly deep into the platform. Smaller automated communication could be implemented or done better to bridge the gap between users of the platform.

There are also some limitations such as format restrictions when sending physical letters through their EZ mail system, writing templates, and pulling reports to show what you want or need in specific ways.