1 525 reviews

1 525 reviews
Karen E.

I Love Buidium!

Reviewed on 2021/02/05

Pros

This software is extremely easy to use. In addition to using this program now for my personal rental properties, I also used this when I was previously employed as a Rental Property Mgr. I managed 60 properties. It save me a tremendous amount of time and assisted me in organizing what I needed to do on a daily basis. I absolutely love this software and highly recommend using Buildium for managing a rental property portfolio of ay size.

Cons

The only thing I can think of that I did not care for was the constant reminder to the tenants about their insurance. When it went into effect, all tenants received the notice. I don't recall recall or seeing an opt out to manage this. It was difficult time-wise to update all of the tenants at one time.
Also you have to update each tenant. It would be nice if you could combine the tenants. I required additional type of coverages, ie. adding mgmt co/owner as an additional interested party and water back-up coverage. I recommend adding a field to show so you know if the tenant's policy is updated or not.

Eric L.

Overall a great service for property management

Reviewed on 2021/02/12

It's been a pleasant one so far.

Pros

Customer Service. There is minimal waiting to contact a live person to help when needed.

Cons

Setting up premium tenant screening. Transunion makes it so very difficult to set that up and requires information from the company that has little to no relevance to background screening.

Gary V.

My Perspective of Buildium's Property Management Software, as a Real Estate Broker/Property...

Reviewed on 2018/08/25

Buildium was great with helping me with all of my questions that I had regarding their email and text message features. I finally decided to take some time to take a closer look at the features they offered and when I did, I realized how much time I wasted by not using these features earlier. No more copying and pasting emails/photos and text messages to and from tenants and owners (not fun to do).

Pros

I've been a customer of Buildium since 2010. I really like the fact on how Buildium saves me many hours throughout my workweek and helps me cover my tracks at the same time. This is helpful especially during the busy part of my day. One of the many great features that I like in Buildium's is the seamless integration they implemented into their software using a top rated property inspection software. It stores the inspection report with all of the photos and notes in one place for reference at a later date. I use my tablet onsite and the software does the rest. Another plus about Buildium is when I need to open a new work order (either onsite or in the office) for maintenance or a repair issue, I open the work order tab and everything you need is in one convenient place to manage the task from start to finish. Also, on Buildium's home screen, I have a dedicated section where I can review and update the progress of all work orders. In addition, each property manager has access to only their managed properties (specific authorization can be customized too). At the end of the day, all of this information is easy to locate, view, share and export and I know where to go if I need it. There Is So Much More...!

Cons

There's really not much that I could say about what I like "least" about Buildium. I say this because, they constantly make improvements and implement new features on a regular basis. There really is very little opportunity to say, "... I wish there was a better way to do this task..." They also ask for feedback on occasion and I like that too. I found that if there's a popular request made to Buildium they act on it and they implement those new features. All of their users can request and track new requests through their forum. A very transparent company who is serious about making my day easier, Buildium!

Brett H.

small owner owned property management company

Reviewed on 2018/08/24

My overall experience has been great with one exception. SUPPORT. support has been exceptional when it comes to the usage of the software but when it comes to the syndication part it is subpar have had several cases open with no response or answer for days or even weeks. Right now I have a case open for more than 20 days that the person has yet to get back with me.

Pros

I like the fact you can attach documents to just about every transaction, property, lease, tenant, and so fourth. I wish you could attach multiple documents to each. I like the automatic banking and online payment option. It reduces the time I have to make entries manually. I like the syndication option and wish it would push to even more websites. I like the tenant portal and the ability for tenants to log maintenance requests. I like the communication function. It allows easy documentation of all of my communication between me and my tenant. Basically all the features that allow automation and give me the ability to minimize my time managing the properties.

Cons

I don't like the fact that if a payment is rejected the software doesn't automatically go back and apply the late fee base on the rules setup. I don't like that some transactions can only have one attachment. I don't like the fact that you can't setup recurring general ledger transactions. I don't like the fact that you can't text multiple numbers at once. I absolutely hate the format of the excel reports. It would be great if the reports could combine both properties and company as well.

Response from Buildium

Hi Brett,

Thank you for your honest review! We're sorry you've haven't had a great experience regarding syndication. A team lead from our support team will be reaching out to you to discuss your experience with syndication further.

Sheila L.

Like Buildium so much!

Reviewed on 2014/06/07

Pros

We're a somewhat small Property Management company in California with about 140 units, and I like a lot of things about Buildium. The customer service reps are helpful and polite, which is so noticeable today. They know what they are talking about, and I understand their explanations; they speak clearly and in good English, especially with accounting questions, as accounting is so confusing to me. I like the ease of using the program; I quickly adjusted to it. I seldom need to call customer service, as I can figure things out myself 90% of the time. As time goes on (we've been using Buildium only since December 2013), I keep finding new reasons to like the program. I haven't even used all of the capabilities that it offers. The lease ledger setup, entering payments, check writing, using reports, figuring out where we are in our bank account, and more are easy. I love how if I make a mistake, correcting it is easy, which wasn't the case with our old system. What I really like about the program is that Buildium tweaks its program frequently based on input from customers. They seem to listen to customer needs and make changes. I've really noticed this, and it is very positive! When we were looking at new software cost was important, and Buildium offered one of the best values. But because the cost was so competitive, I worried that we might regret going with Buildium. Some of the other companies really pushed their software hard and put down Buildium and some other companies, but we're happy now that we've been using Buildium for seven months, and we have no plans to go with any competitor's software in the future.

Cons

The system slows down sometimes around 4 or 5PM Pacific time, but I'm not sure that it's Buildium's fault. We're in California, and customer service phone help ends at 2:00 PM Pacific Time, and it seems that when I occasionally want to call, it's after 2:00 PM, which is a little frustrating. The reports are great, but there is just one report which I used to run on my old program that isn't available on Buildium in the same format. Otherwise, I've found all the reports so far that I need. I really can't think of anything else of significance that Buildium doesn't offer.

David H.

Solid Package

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

Pros

Integration of most PM tasks--accounting, billing, payment processing, inspections, property marketing, communication.

Cons

Accounting is clunky when using credit cards for property repair materials and outside vendors; no way to send mass texts to tenants (yet).

Tom M.

Staff has been excellent. Software is very good. I like that they listen and will add...

Reviewed on 2018/01/24

Saves time and allows better communication with tenants

Pros

Ease of use. Very intuitive design. It is customized for Property Management and for rental owners.

Cons

Their are a few functionality items that I would like to see added. I do understand that it is not efficient to add a feature based on only a few people requesting it. The reset password link to tenants needs to be looked at. When you reset a tenant password, the link expires after 10-15 minutes. That pretty much means you have to be on the phone with them to make sure they are in front of a computer when you reset. However, most of our requests for a reset come via e-mail and when we respond and do the rest, we can not guarantee the end user is going to take action right away. I understand security, but a 24 hour expiration on a password reset would be more reasonable. Security-wise,...if someone hacks into a tenant user account the only thing they can really do is post a work order or pay the persons rent for them. Hacker has no reason to get into someones Tenant account so no need for such short time frame on password reset procedures.

Response from Buildium

Hi Tom, Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts! In regards to your comments around password reset timing, we realize this can be inconvenient and are actively working on a solution so tenants can request a new password after expiration without needing to contact their property manager. Stay tuned for an update. Thank you again for your honest feedback!

Michele F.

Easy to Use; Customer Service is Excellent

Reviewed on 2019/09/04

My experience is good. Sometimes it takes awhile to figure what words I need to use in a search if I have to learn how to do something.

Pros

I like that the software is a no-brainer and I can usually get things done quickly.

Cons

Each month I have to print reports for 2 associations and the reports must contain the name, address, email, and phone numbers for each. The names and the email addresses change. It would be great if we could add and keep the names in the Report Settings so all we'd have to do is click on the saved info. If I forget to change the information I have to go back and re-print the reports with the correct info.
I'm a really small company and Buildium is expensive for me.

Jaron B.

Buildium is great!

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Buildium has been a tremendously positive influence in our company and has helped us grow at the rate that we have!

Pros

It is easy to use and allows people of all technology skill sets to be able to figure it out. The tenant communication features are awesome and we use them as often as we can. E-leasing is great too!

Cons

It is difficult to track which units are down, or being renovated, or being turned etc. There is only one distinction of vacant or rented. It does not allow for us to track the projects well at all so we have to track those manually outside of the software. For full buildium integration we need a tool to allow us to do that better

Response from Buildium

Hi Jaron,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review! We've taken note of your feedback on unit statuses, and we'll pass it along to our product team.

Thanks again!

Stephanie M.

Buildium spells Property Manager's Relief

Reviewed on 2018/08/28

We have been using Buildium for over 9 years now and it was by far the best decision for our company. Being a web-based system our staff/vendors have the flexibility to work anywhere with an internet connection and even on their phones. Buildium is constantly providing updates and new features to grow with their customers. Alexis is our customer service rep and she is fantastic!! They always listen to their customers and accept feedback and ideas. We continue to be impressed not only by their outstanding products for the Property Management industry but also by their excellent customer service and their fantastic, always positive, attitude in the process. Excellent product. Amazing people. We will continue to recommend Buildium without hesitation.

Pros

The flexibility of our company to operate and fully function without being in the office. Our staff can work from anywhere even from their phones. This has afforded us the ability to have live updates on all facets of our business and have a pulse on everything going on at the same time. We can even do it from the beach! I have also never worked with another company that is so willing to work with their clients to provide features and services requested. Their customer service is simply exceptional!

Cons

There are some areas that could be improved but we have submitted our ideas and Alexis is amazing and always working hard to ensure our ideas, concepts and feedback are heard by their software developers.

Rachel M.

Great Software, with a few minor bugs

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

So far so good - good customer service, good feedback from our clients

Pros

It is very user friendly for our clients and keeps everything organized in on system. Pretty straight forward to use, has some great features for management

Cons

There are a few items that seem so obvious to have, but are missing. I can't customize reports, which is a real bummer. I can't print individual charges to an account, which is a real pain. Just a few small things.

Tarryn K.

The best property management software

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

I am very happy with Buildium. I love the online tutorials. I find I can solve most problems using the help function. Buildium has made my life so much easier.

Pros

I love working with Buildium. It is very user friendly. I also love the accounting features. It used to take me hours to reconcile accounts and now I am able to do it in less then an hour max. I love the tenant portal and that our tenants can pay online. I also love that Buildium is ALWAYS improving. They take our suggestions and keep making the program more functional and easy to use. I will never use another program for managing my property management company.

Cons

I wish that we were able to text owners and potential tenants from using the messaging service. I have to have a separate text service to message owners. I also wish there was a waiting list feature. It would be so nice to have all of that information in one place.

Very intuitive software with broad feature set. Elaborate instructions to search for any...

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

Good software for a small to medium sized company. Easy to train on and use quickly.

Pros

Good bang for the buck for Property Management software. The basics are all there along with good tracking features in comparison to other Property Management software. There functions are easily searchable on either the platform itself or Google, and the help desk is immensely helpful in implementing necessary tweaks and features to tailor to your specific business.

The daily main functions have all been fairly polished within the last year, and run very smoothly. The software itself is easy to figure out and with some playing around, any person can become a power user within a few days of use.

Cons

There are some limitations in comparison to other Property Management software, usually not found until delving fairly deep into the platform. Smaller automated communication could be implemented or done better to bridge the gap between users of the platform.

There are also some limitations such as format restrictions when sending physical letters through their EZ mail system, writing templates, and pulling reports to show what you want or need in specific ways.

Wendy W.

Buildium Rating

Reviewed on 2019/02/14

We started our business with Buildium and are continually growing. It has taken us awhile to understand how Buildium works as well as the accounting system. Buildium's customer support staff had a positive role in helping us to understand the software as quickly as we did. Buildium team members are curteous, and willing to help. Buildium has been able to resolve most of my issues.

Pros

-Entry level software that grows as you grow
-Customer support is always available
-Software is growing and trying to meet the needs of the user
-Software provide beneficial workshops and webinars to assist in learning the accounting process
-Software automates the double entry method of accounting

Cons

-Would like to see more customized information on home screen dashboard
-Would like to see more use of interface screen
-Would like to be able to pull quick reports on anything or screenshots of any particular item in the software
-Cannot hide/inactivate unwanted, unused, old chart of accounts
-Would like to drill down 3 levels in chart of accounts

Response from Buildium

Hi Wendy,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! We've sent along your feedback on the dashboard and inactive accounts directly to our product team. Thanks for choosing Buildium!

Doug M.

Property Management Software

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

We like Buildium for our Arizona Property Management but wish they would put more focus back on the quality of the product and customer satisfaction.

Pros

For the most part, Buidium is easy to use and offers decent features. It offers great access for tenants and owners to view their respective information, make payments, etc.

Cons

The support has really fallen the last few years, long wait times, less experienced support staff when you do get someone and more glitches in the software. Features have been added that either doesn't work or get dropped a month or two after you implement them.

Lisa F.

Buildium is Awesome

Reviewed on 2018/11/20

Pros

This software platform we have been using for about 5 years now, it was a huge learning curve to understand and start to utalize all of the features as we were using quickbooks before and that was not efficient AT ALL. But now that we are all well versed in the features, it has made running our property management business so much easier, and we are able to scale our business and grow much more efficiently. Our town of Panama City was recently hit by a Cat 5 hurricane and 90% of our homes were damaged, 40 total were destroyed. Buildium was invaluable in helping us manage our tasks that were coming in by the 100's, sending pics to the owners and keeping them in the loop with everything going on with their properties, and Buildium even reached out to us and gave us a credit to show their concern about our hardship - that's a GREAT company! I would definitely recommend them to anyone building a property management business.

Cons

It's not perfect, but the customer service is always just a call or click away and they are very responsive.

Steve B.

Good property management system, but customer support has not kept up with thier growth

Reviewed on 2020/12/26

Well designed software but they need to invest in their customer support. Don't just respond and defer but if a customer has an issue see that it gets closed.

Pros

I think their software is well designed and the training tools are very helpful.

The issue is that if you don't follow their process and need to get something corrected, they have not invested in their customer support so it not longer works for the # of customers they have.

If you have a problem, they just respond and defer but don't actually resolve issues. I have an issue that has been open for more than three weeks and still not resolved and it is not a complicated issue.

Cons

We use the National Apartment Association's standard lease and it has been very difficult to set up in Buildium. The turn around time for getting set-up for things like Remote Check Processing in 9-10 working days and that is just too long.

Ryan C.

Basics

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

Love you guys. You guys are doing the best you can, it's just some of the basic stuff I think needs to be done better.

Pros

I feel like some of the basic things that are needed on a monthly basis were overlooked in some cases. Like why doesn't it send a rental owner statement monthly? Why was this not considered as equally important as sending a Tenant Ledger statement monthly? This automation is the main point of having a software program at all in this business.

So just like that and a Basic or Complex owner login landing page. The page now for our business confuses owners without a financial background. I don't need them reading that page per say as much as just lookin gat the rental owner statement report for their period of reporting. If that were more simple with less overall options for them to find the basic things they need.

Cons

Some of the work arounds like when two people own a property, getting the 1099's to calculate automatically, etc.

Those thing should just be a main part of the software.

No automatic statements for owners.

Lyman F.

Buildium & Me

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

Still learning this program. There are things that I feel I am doing it 2 or 3 times. (work orders, bills). I just need to learn this program better.

Pros

I am still learning this program. I can not comment on what I like the most yet.

Cons

The owner statement. They are always calling to ask when there's a repair bill that I deducted from the rent. Owner statement should deductions as a total. I found my notes are very important to be describe the deduction. Wish the owner statement would allow me to upload a copy of bill on owner statement & it show up on owner statements. I feel this would free up my time from answering calls explaining to owners the deductions. Then sending them copies of the bill to show them. Do not like the 3-5 day hold on funds received or paid out.

Betty C.

Buildium is elegant, efficient, and their customer service is the best in the business, period.

Reviewed on 2018/07/17

Our communication is streamlined concerning maintenance tasks and accounting questions, our tenants feel as though they have more efficient contact with us regarding their complaints and ledgers, and scheduled tasks like lease renewals and late fee notifications are a breeze to track and accomplish now.

Pros

Buildium's communication systems (especially emails, tasks, and notes) are wonderful. We also love the elegant design of the software from both the manager and tenant side. The reports are easy for a non-accountant like me to figure out and use. Overall, I'd say our favorite parts of Buildium are the clean design, user-friendly task system, and ease of use for emails, eLeases, ledger exports, etc (basically our "official" communication and information within and outside of the staff).

Cons

Our least favorite thing is that it's not compatible with Quickbooks. It's the only thing that keeps me from 5 stars on every count.

Another issue (but not as important) would be the difficulty in deleting/ending/renewing expired leases.

John D.

Great Product Good Features Lacking on Playing Well With Others

Reviewed on 2017/02/11

When I started using Buildium I had just started my property management business and Buildium you gave me the opportunity to start with few units and expand as my business grew. As the technology expanded resulting in adding more features though it appears that it had become a nickel and dime approach. In the age of data sharing and technology, things like openly integrating with other products aren't capable with this product aka it "doesn't play well with others". What I mean to say is there is only one electronic signing choice there's only one ACH choice among other features. The product the staff and the customer service that comes with Buildium at times can be lacking including their technical support area, many times I find that the answer isn't directly answered or they deliver the answer as it is today and when given a suggestion they don't seem too terribly care about changing much.

Pros

Web-based (no software to install), Truly and All in One Package, Easy to use and navigate

Cons

My Biggest gripe is their lack of allowing any third party integrations.

Sheryl S.

Solid Software

Reviewed on 2021/03/10

I have been using Buildium since 2016, I do like that they issue regular updates.

Pros

It is easy to use, gets the job done., allows owner and tenant online access.

Cons

seems a little basic- the tenant side of the program could use a lot of help. Tech support has gone down hill!

Shannon M.

From Old School To This

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

Pros

The thing about this software I love the most is that it is user friendly. I have been in the property management business for 27 years and have used many different management programs. When I started with this company almost 6 years ago Buildium was already in place. Because I'm over 50 years old I was intimidated at first with facing the task of learning a new program but Buildium is so User Friendly I had no difficulties. Even when they upgrade and change it is always easy to follow. On the few occasions I had to contact Buildium with a question I found them to be knowledgable and friendly and answered my questions quickly.
I have mentioned this program to many people in my business and will continue to do so.

Cons

I really can't say anything negative about this software.

Response from Buildium

Hi Shannon,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate your feedback!

Leeanna S.

Best customer support!

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

Pretty happy with Buildium. It is a program that is fairly easy to navigate. I love the process for 1099's.
It was a bonus to have them emailed as well this year. When we have a problem we can call Buildium for help they stay with you on the phone and walk you through the whole process. You never feel like they don't care they always make sure they help you solve the problem before they hang up.

Pros

Easy to navigate. Offers more functions than our company needs.
The awesome customer support is off the level of stars available.

Cons

Too many steps from recording a bill to printing the check.
When the 1099's were mailed out this year we had quite a few that were torn in the mailing process and returned to us as not being able to be delivered by the postal system as the address part was missing. Upon examining the 1099 I realized that there is a line that is perforated which evidently got caught in the postal machines making it very easy to tear. All of the ones that were torn were torn at that location.

Doug M.

Really nice software for Property Mangement!

Reviewed on 2018/02/01

Buildium helps us stay compliant with the Arizona Department of Real Estate while providing great service for our landlords and tenants.

Pros

The software is easy to use, it's always online, the customer support is always ready to help and it just works well. The tenant portals are wonderful, allows the tenants to pay online, request service etc. The owner statements are clear and detailed, one of our clients CPA's has commented more than once that they wish more clients used this software as the reports are so clear.

Cons

I would like to see the financial reporting/syncing side of the software developed further. This is an area that has received attention from Buildium and I suspect we will see more as the user base expands.

Response from Buildium

Hi Doug,
Thank you for your review. You're right on the money, we continue to focus heavily on financial and accounting improvements. We have an entire team dedicated to these services and look forward to sharing enhancements, stay tuned!

Elizabeth Gill