Hotjar

Behavior Analytics for any business selling online.

Akande D.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

HotJar is an awesome tool for studying websites and optimizing!

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

Overall HotJar is a great platform and I am one of their biggest advocates. I would recommend HotJar to anyone looking to enhance their understanding of on-site traffic and conversion.

Pros

At each company that I have worked for, I always bring up HotJar as a solution they should implement as soon as possible. It is so easy to use and allows for such a comprehensive view of the customer experience that it's a loss to NOT use it! I love that it can capture click data, scroll depth, and even user interactions on the website. There is so much valuable information to be pulled from the data!

Cons

There are two things that I'm a little bummed out about with HotJar. One issue is that they recently removed cross-domain tracking. This was a great benefit and we used it often, so not having it is tough. They also have a limit on the height of the pages that can be captured, 1500px. Our pages are slightly larger so we lose some detail on the report that we would have otherwise had.

Response from Hotjar

Hey Akande,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar! It's great to read that you're getting a lot of value from the tool :)

It's indeed the case that we removed cross-domain tracking in light of our continued commitment to privacy-by-design. I'm sorry to hear that working with the tool is a bit tough without this - we'd like to help if we can! Do reach out to us at [email protected] if you've got questions.

Following up your note on the height of captured pages for Heatmaps - we do have a 15000px limit, but if it's a pain point I'd definitely suggest using the Suggest a Feature function in-app to let us know what you need :)

All best,
Alex

Svetla M.

Awesome tool for monitoring user experience

Reviewed on 2021/01/20

We have vastly improved the experience of our users and they spend more time on our site and complete actions we wanted them to complete for a long time

Pros

The tool was super easy to install, literally couple of minutes. And shortly after I was able to start seeing the first user session recordings. Super useful - you get enough info on the user is, device, location, etc along with recording of his session. It took only couple of weeks everyday watching of recordings and improvements on the website accordingly to achieve considerably better user experience. Like the free trial with no card required to sign up.

Cons

So far all seems super easy. The pricing is a bit steep though so we may need to resort to using a lower package

Ciprian P.

An awesome user research and feedback tool

Reviewed on 2020/01/04

Pros

An awesome user research and feedback tool with the most used features readily available. A clean look and a professional UX makes it my favourite tool. The free plan also has enough views/actions/events, allowing it for a good round of testing before going fully paid.

Cons

I'd like more popup options, something similar to GetSiteControl.

Response from Hotjar

Hi Ciprian,

Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar. It's great to hear that you're getting a lot of value out of it.

If you would like to give us more detail about what pop-up options you'd like to see, you can do so under 'Suggest a Feature' from within your Hotjar account and our product team will pick it up.

Also, if you reach out to me directly [[email protected]], I'd like to send you a little something as a thank you for taking the time to review us.

Ratish K.

Hotjar Really Helped Us Leverage Our Business!

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

My overall experience has been good so far. Initially, we were worried about the user insights and heatmaps to test the pages/CTA'S for better campaigning of our products. But, as soon as we started utilizing the set of tools from Hotjar we are so happy that we are able to find a quick solution for problem that helps our business grow and provide our customers with a GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Pros

Have been using Hotjar for more than a couple of years and is the opinion on the tool
1. Hotjar has a very simple and easily accessible dashboard that has Heatmaps, Visitor recordings, Funnels created, Active polls, Surveys, and Recruiters.
2. Heatmaps have really helped us understand the landing pages and test various parameters for many of our marketing/advertising campaigns.
3. Visitor recordings and monitoring are soo good that helped us understand and rectify the issues that users come across. This has really helped our engineering/technical team in identifying the bug and fixing it ASAP thus resolving our customer issues quickly.
4. Had some experience on using the funnels as well which gave us some ideas on how to better modify the landing pages and we were able to understand the content.
5. The polls part has also added value to our business by letting us know on what the visitors are missing on our website.
6. The pricing of this tool is reasonable that students, enthusiasts and start-up companies can easily afford it. We have started with Basic Free Forever plan and later upgraded to Plus plan once our website started getting some good amount of traffic.
7. Multiple filter feature saves our time in analyzing the important pages and metrics.
8. Being a member of the customer success team for a couple of SAAS products I analyzed and learned some good metrics that helped our business grow.
9. Hotjar can be used by any team member like Digital Marketers, Support Agent

Cons

Although I do not have any cons in my mind regarding this tool I would just like to suggest the Hotjar team to give us quick response for any queries/ issues by providing instant live chat option.

Robert F.

Revenue First not Customer First Driven Company

Reviewed on 2020/11/30

Pros

The support team and user interface of Hotjar are first in class. Over the last 5 years I have seen the product grow to become an industry leader. It is easy to implement and execute on the insights gained with Hotjar. I used full hearty recommended this product to everyone I have met.

Cons

On November 25th, their pricing policy update also impacted us legacy account holders. It used to be that you paid per Organization. Ie if your Organization had 4 sites you would be pay for 1 account. Also if you were a old customer you maintained your original terms. However with the move to Billing v2, it is now changed to per site and new terms. What does this mean, a minimum price increase of 400%. Example old rate of 9 EUR for Plus was applicable to all sites within that organization, if that organization only had 1 site then 9 EUR, now it is 39 EUR. Obviously the more sites / higher the tier upgrade you have the higher price increase.

Unfortunately this is not a pricing policy I can endorse and hence want to make it very clear that I no longer support Hotjar. It is an abusive pricing policy change.

While the pricing is a matter of perspective, I do believe Hotjar still provides great value, it unfortunately shows a change in attitude towards their customer based who have helped develop all their years. Today it might just be pricing, but what is next? No more customer support similarly to how Facebook does it.

Jeffrey H.

Must Have for landing Pages

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

Hotjar has allowed us to test ideas with web design. It helps confirm the effectiveness of certain visual cues, the flow of information and the effectiveness of the overall sales funnel by showing us exactly where the viewers attention is going on our web page. It has been an essential source for our overall analytics and critical to our design process.

Pros

Hotjar adds a much-needed type of analytics to your arsenal. It allows you to see exactly what your page-viewers (potential buyers) are doing, seeing and spending time on your landing page or funnel. It allows you to test different design cues or features and see how your targets react.

Also, the pricing is very convenient. Having this tool for free up to 200 pageviews per day is huge.

it's just one of those tools that you need if you want to build new landing pages and help them convert.

Cons

The only issue I've had with this tool thus far is sometimes the screen recordings come out laggy or completely black, but this happens rarely. Other than that, it's been very informative and a great addition to our toolset.

Response from Hotjar

Hey Jeffrey,

Thanks so much for reviewing Hotjar! We love feedback and it's great to hear you consider our tool an essential part of landing page optimization!

Sorry to hear you've had a problem with Recordings. Feel free to reach out to [email protected] and someone will be able to take a look into the issue.

Best,
Kayleigh

Lucas P.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Freemium level features offer great visitor insights

Reviewed on 2020/04/27

My primary use of HotJar is the click tracking and scroll depth features. I'll occasionally use the visitor recording feature. These reports alone provide invaluable information for my web clients to get an idea of how effective their sites are in generating conversions. The surprise benefits of the click tracking is that we can see where people are clicking on spots that are not actually intended to be and I can adjust the UI design to downplay those areas to create a better user experience. The scroll depth gives me a better handle on what important information is not being reached by visitors and helps me decide how to best move that information further up the page stack to ensure that visitors see what we need them to see.

Pros

Easy to deploy tracking script to sites
Async loading doesn't impact user experience
Reports are easy to read and can be shared with clients
Free tier provides more-than-adequate reporting for most small businesses

Cons

I can't actually say anything bad about the pricing structure, the admin panel, or the product quality they deliver. If you're a small business looking to get insights about your visitors' habits, this is an awesome free tool.

Response from Hotjar

Hi Lucas,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive review.

It's great to hear that you find Hotjar easy-to-use and you're getting valuable insights about your visitors' habits.

I'd like to offer you a small thank you from Hotjar for taking the time to review our software - please reach out to me at [email protected]

Mike from Hotjar

Valentin B.

Hotjar a good heatmap

Reviewed on 2020/07/28

I have made some heatmaps for my website show-my-homework. I used these heatmaps to improve the website for the readers.

Pros

Years ago I had a website (show-my-homework) that was taken from me with force. I am Romanian and in Romania no matter what you work, the authorities will force you to surrender your wealth and work to those that use the muscles and not the brain. I worked to this website for 5 years and 2 years I had on this website hotjar. Hotjar was saying to me who comes to my website, who reads my website, who wanted to learn, who clicks etc. Hotjar is very good and I love Hotjar for this.

Cons

To make a heatmap with hotjar you have to wait for 1 day. This is not good, but after 1 day you will have a very good heat map. I do not love hotjar because you have to pay good money if you use it for 2 weeks :)

Response from Hotjar

Hi Valentin,

Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem with your website, but glad that you had a good experience using Hotjar to understand your users.

I'd like to send you a small thank-you from us for your review. You can reach me at [email protected] and I'll share the details.

Ben S.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Great UX Tool

Reviewed on 2020/01/14

We use HotJar to run UX tests on our site. We've used it a lot for testing out new buttons or new navigation features.

Pros

We love running heatmap tests of pages whenever we make changes to our website. We compare these tests to former versions that we've ran. Heatmaps offer amazing insight to where the user clicks, scrolls, or mouses over. This gives you a good idea on how the user interacts with your site.

Cons

Limited functionality unless you upgrade to the top tier account. We also aren't able to track our interactive experiences. I also wish the recordings had more filterable options so you could find specific experiences.

Response from Hotjar

Hi Ben,

Thanks for taking the time to review Hotjar.

We're happy to hear that you're getting a lot of value out of our Heatmaps tool.

Your feedback on plans, tracking of interactive experiences, and filtering of recordings is very helpful, too.

If you would like to provide more detail about what you would like to see improved, you can do so under 'Suggest a Feature' from within your Hotjar account.

If you reach out to me directly [[email protected]], I'd like to send you a little something as a thank you for your review.

Jessie B.

Essential app for web testing and user research

Reviewed on 2018/08/08

It's been crucial in giving us clarity in how people interact with our website, whether or not they're seeing essential pieces of content, and make design decisions based on that data.

Pros

We switched from CrazyEgg to Hotjar over a year ago, and haven't looked back. At the time, CrazyEgg didn't offer user videos (videos of people using our website) and Hotjar did, so we switched over.

What I love most about Hotjar is that it's not just providing insights about how our users click and scroll via heatmaps, but I can gather more qualitative data by setting up polls or video recordings as well.

The "share this heatmap" feature (where I can get a unique link to a heatmap that I can share with anyone on my team -- regardless of if they have access to Hotjar or not) is super handy as well. It helps me collaborate with our user researchers or send data to other teams (I sit on the web marketing team) when I find insights that they'd find valuable.

Cons

I wish I could have more flexibility with the design and branding of the polls. The few times I've added one to our website, it looks a little frankenstein-y in comparison to the rest of our design.

• Industry: Broadcast Media

Does what it needs to do

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

We are capturing feedback from our members right after they make a donation to our organization. This is a great way for us to know why our members support the organization. Being able to more accurately attribute them to individual members in our CRM would be very beneficial.

Pros

We are only using this tool for post transaction surveys. Creating a quick survey and linking it to a landing page is very quick and easy. There are no widgets to install, you simply feed the tool the landing page URL and it will link the survey to the page. When your user hits the page, a request that they take a survey pops up. You are given the option to perform the pop-up on page load or with a slight delay. I can set up a new survey and link to it in under 10 minutes - and I can clone other surveys (though it is a little difficult to find this option). The documentation is pretty well done and has been helpful.

Cons

The tool is not geared toward automation of the results. You can't edit a small typo in your questions, any changes and the tool automatically creates a new question and I believe deactivates the other. This means your results are now split into two columns. While I understand the logic behind this, there should be a way to simply edit a typo. I wish there was a way to have an internal name for the surveys so I can easily identify what and when I used a specific survey. I also wish there was a way to archive the results so that I am not reviewing already reviewed answers. I'm hoping there will be a more open api in the future so I could pass in an account id and pull the data directly from Hot Jar into my CRM.

Tyler S.

Great Ecommerce Optimization Tool

Reviewed on 2019/09/21

Great heat-mapping tool that should be standard in any growth-driven ecommerce site.

Pros

Hotjar is a great heatmapping software that is easy to install, has great features, and a reasonable price point.

Cons

If you haven't used heatmaps before the software can be a bit difficult for new users to understand. It takes some time to get our team up to speed on all of the capabilities.

Response from Hotjar

Hey Tyler,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear you found Hotjar easy to install and consider it a standard part of driving growth :)

Is there anything in particular that you found difficult as a new user or when training your team? We're always open for ideas and we'd love your feedback :)

Best
Kayleigh

Arthur M.

You can't say you're "User centric" without using Hotjar!

Reviewed on 2018/10/01

Pros

- Recordings are great and can tell you a lot on where our users are having trouble
- Heatmaps - teaches us where are they looking and what components are getting traction
- Incoming feedback - THE BEST feature for interacting quickly with your customers (also very recommended to generate their responses to Zendesk)
- Love using pools - you will be surprised how good it works if you ask the right question in the right time
- Very responsive and professional customer support
- Affordable business plan

Cons

- Advanced feature - link between recording ID to the Incoming feedback - this way you can match the feedback/complaint to the actual users' behavior on your site/product
- The conversion funnel could be improved
- Live chat could be a major plus (can potenialy replace intercom )

Thomas C.

Really Helpful Insights

Reviewed on 2021/01/15

My overall experience with Hotjar is a really positive one. In my last role, I'd use it weekly to watch recordings of users' experiences with our landing pages to provide a more streamlined, frictionless experience. Hotjar was instrumental in A/B testing our social landing pages to increase our number of leads generated and with the data I gleaned from Hotjar, I was able to put up some of the best lead numbers on record for the company.

Pros

I used this software primarily to track visitors who engaged with social ads and landed on a landing page. It was extremely helpful to see things like: time on page, most viewed areas of the page, areas that were most clicked, how many form fields were filled in before abandonment etc. Hotjar's features were extremely helpful in optimizing landing pages to capture more leads' information

Cons

There's not a ton to dislike, but there's a bit of a learning curve (like anything else). Prior to using Hotjar, I had never really used any kind of website visitor tracking/recording service, so it took me a little bit of time to better understand what data points I should really be looking outdoor and how best to use it for optimization.

Rob O.

Easy to use solution to gain an insight into a website visitor's journey

Reviewed on 2020/04/04

I've used Hotjar for nearly two years now, and it has speeded up my website design processes and A-B decisions with real, actual client data. Now, instead of guessing, I can *see* what my client's like (and dont' like) about my site content at first hand - this has proved very useful for ongoing development.

Pros

The insights I get from this tool are incredible. It's easy to use, and provides me with detailed information on which elements of my site are working 'well' and which are underutilised. The 'video replay' function is the best feature for this.

Cons

It took me a while to figure out how to restart a 'snapshot' (i.e. period of recording) initially, but once I got sorted I was up and running again in no time.

Response from Hotjar

Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar.

It's great to hear that you're getting valuable insights about your users' behavior and what's working well on your site.

If you could reach out to me at [email protected], I'd like to send you something small as a thank you for your review.

Mike from Hotjar

Jennie Z.

Valuable data for short-term results

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

We love HotJar when we've made changes to a landing page or site. The heatmaps are also pretty useful for giving general data. Sometimes, recordings stop for no reason or warning at all.

Pros

HotJar lets us know when to make changes to a site. Once we noticed that a bar on our page was inactive and customers were constantly clicking on it.

Cons

I wish I was notified when HotJar stops recording or it automatically deleted old recordings. Also, I cannot find a way for HotJar to not record certain pages.

Response from Hotjar

Hi Jennie,

Alex here from Hotjar. Thanks for reviewing us!

Brilliant to hear that you're getting value from the tool and it's helping you identify usability issues.

Sorry to hear that you've had trouble with Recordings settings. Let's see if we can help you out! Have you already checked out this resource on this? https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011822728-Troubleshooting-FAQs-for-Recordings

Please also feel free to reach out to [email protected] - we're always around to help.

Best
Alex

Tomer D.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

the best tool outhere for visitors recordgin

Reviewed on 2018/12/16

Pros

I'm using it now for 3 years already and enjoy using it daily, the features I'm using are not just the visitor's recordings but also the pools, the heatmap tool, and the funnels this all together.

Cons

I liked the polls features by far, it allows me to capture more leads by customers asking questions and I can get back to them and do a follow up series on them :)

• Industry: Online Media

What i think of Hotjar

Reviewed on 2020/08/26

Hotjar has been an amazing tool for me. With Hotjar, i know and understand how users interact with my website. I am also able to collect user feedback using its feedback button.

Pros

Hotjar has an amazing heat map technology. With Hotjar you can see the area or part of your website which users value the most. You can record sessions and see exactly how visitors use your site. Hotjar doesn't just come with a powerful heat map tech, it also comes with a feedback button which you can use to collect feedback's from your users.

Cons

I don't have big issues or problems with Hotjar. Apart from the price which may seem pretty high for beginners who can't squeeze out much bucks for a software, Hotjar is impressive.

Ahmet A.
  • Industry: Building Materials

An important tool for our company

Reviewed on 2018/11/30

Pros

For a construction company, it is very important to track and analyze customer feedback. HotJar application does a good job with the declared functions. With this program you can easily create a survey of needs and produce analytics forms.

Cons

I didn’t like the fact that there are no notifications and it’s impossible to analyze links, keywords and competitors. I would like more built-in functions. The rest is quite a decent application.

Mayank K.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

A must have tool for User Experience Analysts

Reviewed on 2021/03/31

UX plays a very important role for performance marketing and Hotjar is a brilliant tool which helps in collecting user behaviour data to do analysis and take corrective measures. Screen recordings is a great tool to understand why users are spending time on your website and why other are exiting the website without taking the intended action. A/B tests of website UX can be done in a very efficient manner using Hotjar.

Pros

The simplicity of implementation was the main thing that impressed me the most. Heat maps of user behavior on your sites is a critical input to any organization's digital strategy. Hotjar easily collects this data for quick visual analysis.

Cons

Integration with website analytics is important. We report all our numbers with our analytics tools but Hotjar's analysis has to be presented separately due to this issue.

• Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Super helpful tool for heatmaps that you need!

Reviewed on 2018/05/07

Pros

Hotjar is a super helpful tool that helps you understand your website visitors and their behavior. With Hotjar you can set up and track heatmaps, clickmaps and scroll maps of any page of your website. Furthermore, you can set up funnels and see where visitors leave your website and identify problems. But the best and for me the most useful feature is visitor recording - Hotjar records the behavior of your website visitors and lets you watch it as videos. This is just BRILLIANT! I cannot imagine my work without this tool. It also has a nice free version so you don't need to pay for it to get results.

Cons

The price of paid accounts is quite significant but you can do wonderfully with the free version. There is nothing I would criticize here honestly.

Multi Functional

Reviewed on 2018/11/21

Overall this product was really useful and allowed us to make informed decisions regarding our website strategy and effectively communicate recommendations to our clients.

Pros

As a Hotjar user, I was really impressed with how versatile this software was. It allowed us to better understand how people move around our website and what areas were creating issues for our users. It allowed us to easily explain these problems to our clients and were an effective tool in the Growth Driven Design Process. We also used it when launching new sites. Videos allowed us to see what our clients were getting hung up while on the site making it easy to understand what changes needed to be made or what areas were causing them headaches. I did not set up our Hotjar accounts so I don't know what level of expertise is required but it seemed straighforward.

Cons

Hotjar is not equipped to analyze all forms and increased load times on some sites.

Yuriy K.

Cool web analytics service

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

Pros

HotJar, analogue of Google Analytics, allows you to understand the needs of the audience. The service collects statistics on users, keeps track of their behavior. With the help of the service, we were able to optimize the performance of our website and increase its conversion.

Cons

I have not found any disadvantages: we have been using the service for two years already.

Zeeshan A.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Best tool to record your customer interactions

Reviewed on 2020/11/28

Pros

You can easily track your customer interactions about any page of your website. You can easily track if anything wrong on your checkout process.

Cons

You can't relate or connect the recording with customer signups.

• Industry: Information Services
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Track website visitors behavior

Reviewed on 2021/04/16

Valuable behavior data and visuals that provided evidence on how we should make necessary changes to improve our website.

Pros

The heatmaps were great to see where our visitors were clicking and moving about throughout the site. We made website changes based on their behavior to enhance user experience. When we noticed people weren't scrolling past the fold of our homepage, so we implemented different tactics and design to get them to scroll further down the page. Surveys were also helpful in finding out where our visitors were coming from. We placed them in our most popular pages for feedback.

Cons

There was no integration available to our existing CRM or email platform that would feed all the data and analytics Hotjar was collecting into our system.