Dropbox Reviews

Dropbox

File syncing, storage & sharing platform

4.5/5 (10175 reviews)
David S.

My GoTo Cloud Storage and Sharing System

Reviewed on 2019/10/05

It's my central file sharing and syncing system. I've used it personally and professionally for years. As an IT Tech, I'm always recommending it to companies. It works easily and reliably. My largest deployment is for 40 employees who are all sharing a common data drive. I almost never have to trouble shoot anything.

Pros

It just works! I can't stress enough how much this matters. The program is easy to use on the desktop (Mac and PC) and the web interface is great as well if you are on a guest computer. Syncing is fast and doesn't slow the computer. Mobile access is super easy and fast as well.

Cons

I can't think of anything wrong with it. I've been using it for years... maybe it could be free, but that seems unfair to ask...

Amy M.

Dropbox is Great

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Overall experience has been great. I've tried other programs in the past such as OneDrive and Google Drive and I haven't liked either as much as I like Dropbox.

Pros

I love that when I sync it to my desktop it acts as though it's files on my computer. So I don't need to open and close the browser, I can just move files the same way I would if I was saving them on my computer. Love that it syncs with multiple computers as well so there's no wait time with email documents, we just put them into dropbox and everyone immediately has access.

Cons

There's really not much I don't like about Dropbox. I would love to be able to create users and control what they have access to so that I could keep some folders private. Or another great features would be to have some folders password protected, that way I would be able to control who had the password and could access them.

Brice W.

Excellent Solution

Reviewed on 2019/09/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Very happy with the software and would not consider replacing it.

Pros

Love the ease of use and the permission based folder nesting capabilities. We actually use Dropbox as a client visual workflow system as well as the standard file sharing system. Our clients love it. Our team loves it.

Cons

Their additional products are too simple. Paper is close but limited in usefulness and showcase is too simple and lacking in functionality. Both products have glimpses of what they could be but they fall short option, ease of use, and flexibility wise.

David Y.

The Perfect Solution for File Storage

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

My overall experience with Dropbox Business has been great. It has made our organization for productive and we've spent less time searching for files and folders (Dropbox's search functionality is very helpful). I can also print files directly from my iPhone using my printer's app, which can easily be synched with my Dropbox account. Since our computers and laptops are in separate rooms, this functionality is perfect for printing Dropbox files when not physically in front of the computer. Also, with the Dropbox app, I can easily find, attach, and send any file in my account via email. It's perfect for business individuals who are on the go. Prior to using Dropbox, almost everyone kept files on their laptops. This really wasn't effective and involved a lot of email messaging and overlap of files. Dropbox solved this problem quite nicely for us. I cannot recommend it more highly.

Pros

Dropbox really is the perfect solution for file storage. What separates Dropbox's individual subscription (Basic) from its business subscription is the ability assign multiple users with unique email addresses. The Standard and Advanced options both come with 3 user licenses. This is not to say that only 3 users can access your files. Sharing occurs at the admin level, and admins can share files with other Dropbox users (including Basic and Plus users). This is one of the great benefits of using Dropbox.

My favorite feature, however, is Dropbox's simplicity. It is super easy to create top-level directories and then add sub-directories (and sub-sub-directories, etc). For example, our top-level folders are Contracts, Art Files, Manuscripts, Schedules. Within our Manuscripts folder are sub-folders (e.g., Anthologies, Fiction, Nonfiction). You can customize or create as many file folders as needed, but hopefully this gives you some example of the options available to you. It's also very easy to rename, delete, and move files. Another great feature is that deleted files can still be accessed for 30 days. Always good in case a file is unintentionally deleted.
Admins can also synch Dropbox to their laptops for easy file search and navigation.

Cons

There is really nothing I do not like about using DropBox Business. The storage size of 3 TB far exceeds what we currently need, but this is not a bad thing. The pricing is competitive. The home page of your account will display Recent files, which is great if you are working on the same file over a period of days or weeks. I simply cannot think of a single negative about this storage solution.

good product but needs improvement

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

Still better than not having a shared server at all. Has a large amount of space offered so we don't have to worry about losing files. Licenses and teams are also easy to manage.

Pros

The ability to access files anytime, anywhere, especially from a mobile device. Intuitive and always evolving to be better. It's also widely known so most people don't need much training on it.

Cons

Lack of customer support - they just refer you to guides and FAQs. We also received no help in our initial setup and after having the software for a while, there are countless things we could have done better to share and organize our folders.
Glitchy sometimes - on multiple occasions I had to completely uninstall and reinstall the desktop app to make it work
Files are not collaborative enough. At this point, you'd imagine Dropbox would work like google sheets where you and someone else can edit the same document at the same time. But instead, you have to deal with conflicted duplicate files.
Billing could be explained better. We have multiple entities in our business and need to split our bill regularly but dropbox doesn't make it easy to code specific users or licenses to specific entities under the overarching business account

7.0/10
Edward S.

Dropbox Business Review.

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

Our company has solved the great problem of not being able to save amounts of information, files or transactions, because we did not have a safe place to store these important documents, that is why we lost a lot of information, important documents, valuable transactions for us, also that we had that change the computers monthly, because they were saturated and we could not recover them, thanks to this software, all these problems were solved, now these documents are not lost, they are automatically saved in the cloud and With just a few clicks, we have access to all of them , which facilitates our work and allows us to finish jobs in our homes that were incomplete or that need more time to do them, we could send them to the cloud, download them to our home, terminals and recharge, exponentially increasing the productivity of the company.

Pros

Dropbox is very easy to use, just take a few minutes to register and once this is done, you can save any amount of information you want in the cloud, important documents, photos, files, transactions, empty your computer or mobile phone to not slow them down. or saturate them with information, and you will not lose any file due to damage or theft of your computer, since synchronizing it with your device or computer will automatically save any file, making it one of the safest methods to save files in the world. It should be noted that you can share any document or information with anyone who uses the program, without having full access, only what you want.

Cons

The drawback is the limited space available for the cloud, since it can save a large number of files, but there comes a time when it reaches this limit and you must pay a special fee to add more memory to the cloud, which I consider very high for the common user or the company that is thinking of acquiring this software, in addition to the folders can not be customized, so you can not specify well to be each, I hope that in future updates you can correct these small details, but In general It is excellent software.

Jonathan H.

Dropbox Keeps Our Documents Safe, Secure, and Easy to Access

Reviewed on 2019/08/15

We use Dropbox Business in our office to keep our records in one place for our team. It's especially helpful because we have certain files that are shared across the entire company, and then we also have certain files only used for my own team. It's very easy to create a file, upload a document, and share it with other people. It's also far more secure than other platforms in terms of keeping log of confidential information.

Pros

I love that it is easy to create a folder and have it shared with many people at one time. It's also great to have this set up on my computer in my own Quick Access files, so I can just drag and drop documents from my saved documents and downloads into a Dropbox file. My company has always used dropbox, and having the business account gives us enough space so we can keep all our records in one secure place.

Cons

It's not quite as complex and doesn't quite offer the features of Google Drive or other cloud storage platforms, but it is simple and it does the job. It is also very easily cluttered when you have too many people sharing things across platforms.

Sara S.

Dropbox: Quality for Use!

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

Overall, this has been an absolutely fabulous product and software for us to use. We recommend it to campus partners, our students, and our new staff always love having access and training to use this!

Pros

I think that this software was very ahead of its time when it came out. On campus unfortunately some of our students experience difficulty in saving onto university drives in areas such as our student union building, or in our libraries. Having access to a software like this allows them to safely store and save information, and doesn't clog up any home screens or memory on their own personal devices.

The free trials have been excellent for our team to test out this product! I like that there are different plans that you can purchase based on how much you need to save, and there are additional cool features like sharing permissions, audits, and support options. Something that really stood out to me was the fact that you can get phone or chat support. Chat support is SO, SO ideal for our team to use since we are constantly on our computers and always on student phone calls, so being able to utilize chat while we are still able to do work is an incredible feature and a really big win for us! The storage space on the "Standard" plan is an insanely good deal for us and the amount of information we need to store.

The remote wipe has also been an amazing security feature and helps with peace of mind. Knowing that you can use the features for the smart syncs and operate off of the admin dashboards has been really fun for us, we have loved doing group trainings to learn about these things and to also learn about the amount of apps you can connect to and utilize with this!

Cons

I don't have anything that I didn't like! One of the best features that our students and team have discussed is that you can use the thirty day free trial truly for free; you don't need to provide a credit card which is a big plus for us; so many of our students don't want to enter in that kind of personal information and this is just such a fantastic option for them. Something that stands out about this product compared to competitors is that you can get billed yearly or monthly. This is a big plus to us as we can do mass purchases for our teams to store on for one yearly fee so we just have to allocate one purchase card order instead of doing them every month if we had utilized the monthly option.

Peter P.

Dropbox is the perfect solution to store all my files in a safe, secure and available way at all tim

Reviewed on 2019/07/14

Dropbox has become the best solution of the company to store information, regardless of its volume, since this system offers us an unlimited space, we can also share these files with colleagues and members of our team, modify them if necessary and update that data from the browser or any mobile device, which really reduces time and prevents complications such as unexpected transfers to the office
This platform offers a large number of applications that are very functional and interesting, as far as our work environment has been felt, since it has improved the performance and effectiveness of the activities in the company. Another aspect that has been very useful to us, is that we have reduced in large quantity the use of paper, boxes of files and the most important thing is that we have recovered physical space that we had previously occupied. .

Pros

This system allows us to store large content files, which are able to synchronize to other computers in which we share important information with our work team, colleagues or users in the network. Its installation was very simple to make, since we only had to download an application and create an account. Dropbox gives us great security since all the files are totally encrypted in keys, the transmission of the data is done through the TLS and SSL protocols, which gives great security to our files. It also offers an application for phones, so we can create a local folder on the device that we choose, which can be synchronized with an online version and thus have all our files available even when offline.
Through the Dropbox Business function we simplify the management of teams by being able to monitor all of our company's team. Another aspect that we liked very much is that this system is integrated into Site W, which allows us to create a website, store documents , images, videos, etc., we can also share files.

Cons

I really think that Dropbox is a platform that is perfectly structured in all its aspects, whose properties are very functional, for all this it is the indispensable tool that every professional, entrepreneur or user in general.

Samuel T.

Dropbox is a good cloud storage platform… Dropbox Business makes it Better

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

For a Graphic Designer, Dropbox has been the most useful tools for me to deliver project to my clients for the past 6 years. It is easy to navigate and sharing of files to a third party is simple and convenient using the Share Link feature. Dropbox has helped a lot in my business and backups; Dropbox Business expands my experience with more storage and other features. The mobile apps makes it even easier to use, I can easily view, edit and share my files anywhere I am, without waiting to use the PC. Throughout the years of using Dropbox, I have no trouble with my files; they are safely stored on the cloud.

Pros

Dropbox is recommended it for anyone looking for ease to use online storage. There is clean user interface, easy to learn for new users. Dropbox made it possible to share files to a third party, manage file’s permissions, and allow users to protect their files with password, this helps user’s file locked to unauthorized access.

My favourite will be the Add to my Dropbox feature. With this, I don’t have to download files shared to me; I can just transfer them to my Dropbox account with a single click, no matter the size.

Dropbox have a perfect synchronizing feature called Smart Sync that allows users to use a single account on multiple devices easily. Dropbox created a convenient environment for their users, with mobile app for both Android and iOS users and also a PC app, which are more convenient to use. The PC App create a folder on the PC which all already files on the Dropbox account automatically sync to the PC which makes downloading unnecessary, also the folder is a perfect way to upload to Dropbox with easy Copy and Paste, other benefit of using Dropbox App is the ability to pause uploading of files.

Dropbox offers a free Basic account with 2G available storage for each sign ups, which is a small storage for professional users. Over the years, I had to upgrade my basic account to PLUS account which offer additional storage space of 3TB and some other features. Dropbox offer 30 days Free Trial on Business Account which is good to test the plan.

Cons

Dropbox offers are clean with a stress-free platform that I can hardly think of a disadvantage, but I will say the first major problem I have with Dropbox, which is inability to pause uploading of files on the webpage. Before the apps are available, uploading of files can be frustrating; any interruption to the internet connection to the PC will make the uploading to starting all over, which is why I recommend using the apps.

The Free Basic Account is limited to 2GB which is small amount of space and users need to upgrade the Plus Account. And for some reason, Monthly payment options are more expensive than Yearly payment options, which is ridiculous.

Ahead of it's time when it came out, and now... not so much

Reviewed on 2019/05/04

Pros

For obvious reasons, this is the most well-known cloud storage platform available. It pioneered the category and has been incredibly useful and valuable to many personal users, small businesses and more. Selective Sync is a great feature (when it works properly) which allows users to select only certain files to sync to their device from a large folder, rather than the root folders themselves. Team collaboration and the desktop app for Windows and OSX are serviceable, for the most part.

Cons

I get headaches when I create the endless laundry list of ways that Dropbox has fallen to the wayside compared to newer offerings like Box and Google Drive. Specifically for medium-sized businesses, I would absolutely NEVER recommend using Dropbox for teams with storage bases larger than ~500GB. Selective Sync rarely works properly, and by default, LAN Sync is enabled in the desktop app. You might think, that sounds great! LAN connection has to be faster than regular internet syncing, right? Absolutely not the case if you have more than 4 computers in a general range of one another and an internet speed of >30mpbs (standard in most businesses nowadays).

Not just in my business, but in many friends/clients/colleague's cases, the same problem plagues us all: the "online-only" and active sync is absolute garbage, and is almost false advertising. Being the de facto IT person in our business, I can't count on two hands how many times the entire DB feed clogs sync, to sometimes ~30K+ files in a pending queue, which never resolves itself, even over the weekend. Atrociously slow download and upload speeds plague the platform, even on good internet connection speed environments, since Dropbox throttles upload and download speeds by default. Why on earth would you do that by default?

In short, don't walk, RUN away from using this program as fast as you can if you're a small-medium business looking for cloud storage. Use literally any alternative - Google Drive, Box, ANYTHING.

3.0/10
Behzod A.

One of the most trusted names in online cloud storage

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

Overall I prefer using DB over other cloud storage providers. Because Dropbox is widely accepted service among businesses and academia. This makes it easier when you are working with different teams on a project.

Pros

I've been using Dropbox Business (DB) for about 5 years now and highly recommend it for anyone looking cloud service for storage, synchronization between different devices, and general file backup. Here are the pros of the service:

1) Extended File Version History: DB keeps historical versions of files and allows you to see or download different versions of your file for the last 120 days. If something goes wrong you can always download last successful version. This is one of my mostly used features; previously I manually saved each version of my files to restore if something goes wrong.

2) MS Office Integration: You can edit MS Office files even if you don't have Office software installed in your machine. You can use your browser to edit documents an changes will be automatically saved.

3) DB allows password protect and expirable shared links. Which is great if you're sharing sensitive documents.

4) DB comes with 3Tb worth of storage.

5) Learning curve and user interface: DB is super easy to learn, it satisfies needs of both technology newbies as well as technologically inclined people

6) A lot of third party applications work with your documents saved in Dropbox. If you open DB on internet browser and right click on file, DB will immediately offer different software options to OPEN/EDIT your files. Eg: PDF, photo editors, music/video players, etc.

7) Speed of synchronization is super fast, even if you're dealing with large Gb files.

Cons

So far I didn't have any issues with Dropbox. Developer keeps adding new and useful features, so nothing to complain about it.

Ross H.

Probably my favourite cloud storage but it's expensive

Reviewed on 2019/02/07

I use dropbox for a variety of my academic requirements. I recommend the free version to my students for both assignment backup and group research collaboration. I use the business version to coordinate a variety of projects from research grant material and theses to, as mentioned previously, syncing my entire zotero library. Between both Dropbox for business and google drive, my cloud storage needs are met and I think that each offers enough unique benefits that I do not see myself opting out of wither anytime soon.

Pros

I love how well file sync works and how reliable it is. For one of my primary uses of dropbox (Zotero library syncing) Dropbox is the only offering I've never had an issue with.
I also like the variability in sync options from "full folder" to "smartsync" and in between. This helps keep the storage down on some of my portable devices without me having to go about the hassle of managing multiple accounts. Dropbox was one of the first cloud storage and sync offerings and I think the backbone they built their software on is still as strong as ever and the mobile versions are excellent too.

Cons

The biggest con to dropbox for business is that it is priced so far above the two main competitors that come to my mind (google drive and Onedrive). It's a shame because there are a lot of little things that just seem to be better implemented on dropbox. It's also sometimes fiddly to get it around a proxy server in the workplace an issue that has improved but still lingers (particularly with archaic proxies) and this is one of those things that can actually make a program unusable, because you quickly learn to rely on it and if it is not functioning you can lose a day of work easily without realising it.

Wendy R.

Makes working at different locations easy

Reviewed on 2019/02/07

Pros

Sometimes I work from home, sometimes I go into the office, sometimes I work off my laptop. Using Dropbox makes it so great not to have to worry about having the most recent version of files available. Years ago I had to e-mail myself the latest copies of spreadsheets when I knew I'd be working in a different location.

The Smart Sync is a wonderful way to save disk space by customizing which files you want stored on your hard drive and which files you want stored only in the cloud. They've recently fixed an issue I was having with Windows search not being able to find the file names of files stored only in the cloud - now searching for file names of files stored in the cloud works with my Windows 10.

I have been saved more than once by being able to go back to previous version of a file and restore it when unintentional changes had been made to a file. Being able to go back and restore deleted files has also been helpful.

I love being able to access my files from any browser on any computer and on my mobile devices.

Sharing files and folders is so easy by just giving the other person a link.

At work, some teams that I am on use a shared folder to store files for the whole group to access.

Cons

When I've had to contact customer service, sometimes I've felt like they didn't really understand my problem and provided solutions that didn't apply to my problem. Other times they've been great. Often I've been able to find information on their help section when I've had questions about a feature or problem, but not always.

Pamela G.

Clever and effective tool for file sharing and storage

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

Dropbox is a great workspace to storage and organize any kind of files. It increases my productivity every day. I installed it on every device I use, both for work and personal purposes and I cannot live without it. In just a few clicks I can upload, download or view the files I need. The sharing possibility with everyone is a salvation when working with other teammates or external customers.

Pros

It is a complete online file sharing and storage service. You can register for free to Dropbox basic or you can decide to upgrade to Dropbox PLus (1TB of space) or to subscribe to the Dropbox Business Plan available in three different variants: Standard - Advanced - Enterprise. The Business Plan includes 30 days of free trial.

By creating a Dropbox Basic account you get 2GB of space for free. You can increase your space by completing some steps provided by Dropbox, such as: Dropbox App installation on your device, referral programme, and so on. The Business Plan offers 3TB of space and many other additional features you might find on the website.

You can easily upload, download and view your files that are stored in one single space and that could be always accessible and shareable with anyone through a simple web link.

The files could be sort in specific folders and each folder could be shared with different person. One space, multiple uses. When you delete a file you can recover it for a certain time (determine by the active plan).

Thanks to Dropbox’s Smart Sync, your devices will always be synchronized and your files always available.

Delta-updates cleverly manage amended files. When you edit a single word of an already uploaded file, Dropbox will only upload the variation preserving the rest.

LAN syncing among devices on the same local network

You can set specific privacy conditions to each file you upload or share.

Cons

Commercial initiatives to push users switching to paid plans are very intrusive. No business invoice for Plus, only for Pro. That makes not so much sense to me and could be a big issue for the company. It has a free useful alternative, not so advanced but really valuable: Google Drive.

7.0/10
Chad W.

Still the easiest way to implement cloud storage

Reviewed on 2018/10/21

Dropbox is one of the best cloud sync storage providers. Google Drive is a big contender and has been steadily improving, but Drive is trying to land a solid service while Dropbox's desktop sync software still shines.

Pros

My biggest advocation for Dropbox is how it integrates cloud backups into your computer's native file structure. Having on-computer search and version management is amazing.

Just when their software was getting stale, Dropbox introduced their Smart Sync feature. Smart sync is a fantastic way to manage thousands of files easily on any device, whether that's a custom-made PC workhorse or a MacBook Air. Smart Sync surpasses Selective Sync in almost every way, but it's not perfect.

Dropbox Business also introduces simultaneous personal and work accounts, which is fantastic. Because nearly everyone I know has a personal dropbox that they don't necessarily want backed up with work files. Dropbox handles these two accounts smoothly, letting you have two dropbox folders on your computer and allowing you to manage permissions individually.

I prefer it over Box.com and OneDrive. Even though those pieces of software may have more admin management tools, they show their age by how cluttered and complicated those tools are to manage. Dropbox is simple so you don't have to spend more time managing users than you have to.

Cons

The way Dropbox handles their billing cycles is annoying and costly for rapidly adding and removing users. We use the annual billing cycle. If you go over your user cap, you have to pay for a full year of another user account immediately. Staying under your user cap doesn't get you a prorated rate and you don't get reimbursed for users you don't use.

Versioning and file change management has always been good with Dropbox, but recently it's been making some larger mistakes that can take hours or even days to sync up, even with a small team.

It would be good if you could set a folder or file owner who had specific privileges. Like only the owner can delete team-shared files, and the owner's version trumps version conflicts.

Smart sync is great, but it still has some bugs - especially when new folders are added by other team members.

Joel M.

UNBEATABLE Cloud Storage!!

Reviewed on 2018/10/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Very Amazing!! Very Fast and Reliable sync capabilities of cloud Storage, Very easy to Use, Budget Friendly, User-friendly, with Reliable Security feature.

Pros

Awesome!!! It is One of the Best-known cloud and file sharing services, while it offers storage as well syncing for all files.....
-Perfectly designed to Backup your hard drive. -It is Budget Friendly
-User Friendly
-Very Fast File Sync
- Reliable security feature
I've been using Dropbox for 3 years now. I can store any type of file in it. It helps me a lot on my work, especially as a programmer, I don't have to worry on bringing USB at all, I just sync my file. Plus, the integration with other apps such as Microsoft Office, Adobe, and a lot more.. Can't live without it... it's a very huge help in my career and as my personal backup tool.

Cons

There's nothing I can say bad about this cloud storage. Everyone should try it and benefit from its very important and effective services. You will also be amazed.

The king of online storage with some caveats

Reviewed on 2018/10/05

Pros

The core product of Dropbox is rock solid. It's an easy to use, fast, no nonsense online storage and file sharing service. Sharing content with a link is very good and easy to use, plus the option to receive comments on this content is very welcome for many professionals. Shared folders appear in your collaborators respective Dropbox and sync instantly. Nerdy things like delta-updates (meaning that if you change a single word to your file, it only uploads the difference and not the whole file again), LAN syncing (computers in the same local network don't have to download shared folders' content) are not just nice to have, but a core details that push Dropbox over the top.

Cons

Lately Dropbox has been trying to nickel and dime Plus users: their new file streaming functionality in reserved only for Pro (their mid tier). Additionally, they have been pushing heavily for either Free or Plus users to upgrade to more costly tiers, quite obtrusively. Also, they couldn't issue a business invoice for my Plus account, as this was only possible for Pro account -- although it's clearly a business expense for me.
So personally, after being a Plus customer for years, it made more sense to stick with the Free plan for some basic collaboration and storage, and switch to G Suite Google Drive, which doesn't have fancy things like delta-updates and isn't as straightforward as Dropbox, but what it does have is infinite storage and file streaming built-in.
All in all, you can decide what's best for you, but choose wisely because switching between these services can be quite a headache.

Brittany V.

Our company relies on Dropbox everyday

Reviewed on 2018/08/21

Works great for our company, keeps us all connected, does what we need it to do. We rely on this heavily everyday.

Pros

We have this app setup on our desktops and iPads. It is a GREAT program to integrate with other programs such as Adobe PDF on my iPad. I rely on this heavily everyday for putting proposals together. It is so incredibly easy to save all of my sales proposals straight onto the dropbox app from my iPad Adobe PDF app which saves me so much time and energy. Our company could not function without Dropbox. All of our files are saved and shared through this software. When we receive purchase orders through the fax, my scheduling team is able to pull my sales proposals that I have put together without needing to ask me for them. The file is easy to move around, I can access this remotely from home which is nice.

Cons

We have had a lot of issues with lagging on our desktops, our IT technician told us that the slowness of our desktops was caused by the dropbox app. I am not sure if this is true or not.. I have also had issues with the dropbox file deleting from my desktop files in my favorites section, so I've had to go find it and drag it back out to my favorites on my mac desktop. The other issue is sometimes the file will get really slow and then not find the files at all, a question mark will pop up and it will say cannot connect to server, I then have to go to the top left of my desktop click on the "Go" tab and then click "Connect to server", and it will finally connect and load the files. I'm not sure if this is a setup issue but we have not had it as bad recently as it used to be..

Josemaria G.

Dropbox for teams!

Reviewed on 2018/07/20

Dropbox has stood the test of time and the threats of similar (and cheaper) services available out there. It just goes to show the quality, bang-for-every-buck, ease of use, beauty, and simplicity of this service. Every single thing you love about personal Dropbox is now made collaborative and available for Teams and Businesses.

Pros

I've been using Dropbox since it came out in 2007. It was one of the first and just worked for me. The limited space (2GB) had me take advantage of its additional space promo via inviting as many people to use it and therefore earn an extra 500MB from each one referred to Dropbox.

Dropbox just works for me. It works on the background without much toll on my PC's resources. My teammates also have personal dropbox but we realized we needed more storage capacity, and we needed a way to work more collaboratively using the same space. This is when we decided to try Dropbox for Business.

Everything you love about personal (free) Dropbox is made available to Team members! Shared space simplifies our workflow and file sharing/access. The limits as Dropbox puts it "As much space as needed" is a great assurance that we won't run out of storage space mid-way through the project.

Our Infra/Systems Admin also likes Dropbox because certain tasks are facilitated for them, e.g., easy to setup Single-Sign-On (SSO) for authentication and Invites, Tiered admin roles and advanced admin console. Even our own company domain can be integrated and used for verification. Plus, devices that connect to the service may also be monitored and controlled. These are all crucial for security and operations management.

Cons

Since this is Cloud-based, provisions on Internet bandwidth has to be ensured, otherwise, it may appear to be slow for your teams who work on files synced via the network.

Mario T.

If I could I would not use a hard drive on my mac, but a dropbox folder

Reviewed on 2018/07/20

Cloud Storage as its best, forget about zipping, emailing, uploading to whatever hosting site your files, the best way to keep your files in the cloud is DropBox.

Pros

Your every files and folder in one safe, secure place, easy to access and manage.
Our company has a business account with several terabytes, it allows us to keep pretty much everything there, organized and managed. Our employees has access to their personal folders to keep their own files, and also with a set of automation we give them access to other folders, such as HR files, blueprints, etc.
It is a great tool to keep also your files in sync, every time someone update a file or adds a file to a folder you will get it right away in your dropbox. The native apps allows you to also have several other feedback like real time notifications and keep a session always open.
Dropbox allows you to have a local folder too, so in case you want to work offline you are also able to do it.
One other plus, the support team, I contacted them because I had a problem to sign in into my account and they were able to solve my problem in minutes, I was expecting the always we will reply back in 1 biz day, DropBox support team will help you right away.

Cons

If you don't pay attention to the files you have in your local storage it can easily drain your hard drive space dry, there is no automation for removing large file or not often opened files, when you are collaborating on a folder it will just sits there in your local machine. It would be great if you could setup settings like, automatically remove files I haven't use in X time, or do not load files larger than X megabytes.

Ramon B.

Dropbox is an application that allows users to store and synchronize files online and between comp.

Reviewed on 2018/05/01

The benefits that I have obtained from dropbox are good and many since it has served to keep most of my personal documents well protected and able to access them from anywhere in the world with only having an internet connection

Pros

It is a storage service in the cloud that offers an excellent option to share a folder at a time.
It offers applications for the most popular operating systems such as Windows, Linux among others and the possibility of synchronizing so that files are available on any device.
It offers the possibility to see the photos in an online gallery.
It allows us to obtain the download link of any file, share it or send it quickly to other users or simply copy it.
Their applications have very clean and tidy designs, they offer us the right thing and no more than that, they are fast and efficient, and they are free in all their versions.
It offers the possibility of using a virtual hard disk, it only requires an internet connection to be able to synchronize in other devices.
Share files without adding mail and invite people to shared folders, although they can only see and not edit anything.

Cons

If you stop using it for a long time approximately more than three months I will start to tell you that you have to log in to your account so that it passes the inactivity status and if you do not do it in a short time they will cancel the Dropbox account you had with them, that is to keep your servers updated and be able to free space in them. In the computers and in general in any device, only the files that are saved in the folder called My Dropbox, which is automatically created in our account, are synchronized, what is outside that folder is considered private.
Two people can not work in the same file because a copy of the same file is generated.
It does not have the ability to play audio or videos.
The free account can sometimes be very limited, you have to switch to a paid account.
It does not have an offline mode, which allows you to view and edit the files when you do not have an Internet connection, when other services do offer it.

Reliable and fast-syncing cloud storage app with fair pricing

Reviewed on 2018/04/01

Storing and syncing files I use frequently between my devices

Pros

To me, the best aspect of Dropbox is that it syncs very quickly and consistently. I never have to wonder if it did or didn't sync my files or folders, which is a problem I've encountered with other apps. That, and it is simple enough to use that even the most computer illiterate people can usually figure it out. Just about everyone knows about it and has seen/used a Dropbox link before, so it makes life easier when trying to share files. The Pro plan (what I use) isn't a bargain, but for the reliability I'd say it's fair enough and worth paying for if you have the budget. It has built in video players, document and image viewers and audio players so that the person you're sharing with doesn't need an external application to view your file.

Cons

For Dropbox to be such a big company, I expect more options for managing and sharing my files, especially in the mobile app. Sometimes, it is very frustrating trying to figure out how to carry out a certain action, or worse, realizing there's no built in feature for that action at all. I'm not sure if this is Dropbox's way of trying to "dumb down" the application to try and simplify things for its users, but it sure would be nice for them to figure out how to strike a balance between usability and functionality. Also, it used to be easier to get a decent amount of storage with their sharing promos, but now the amount of storage available on free is outclassed by several other cloud apps, making it less appealing. They need an option between the free version and the Pro version for people who don't need more than 10 GB but not 1 TB of cloud storage.

Perfect when it works, catastrophic when it doesn't

Reviewed on 2018/03/23

Pros

It's super easy to use. Because it just appears like another folder on your computer, it's seamless. The online version pairs well with it, giving access to previous versions, the ability to restore deleted files (priceless!), and a relatively granular ability to share files and folders with pretty much anyone. The best thing overall is just knowing that all my files are safely backed up in the cloud. If anything goes wrong with my computer, I can sync up dropbox on another computer and be ready to go.

Cons

I have worked at two different companies where huge chunks of files disappeared from dropbox. In both cases we were told that it was our fault. In both cases it was the users "responsible" were the dropbox admins who weren't even working when it happened. In both cases, after some headaches and freakouts, the files were mostly restored. In the second case, though, not all the files were restored. The only way to tell what was missing was to log in to the web version, show deleted files, and look for the time stamp of when all the files were deleted. Then it was a matter of manually restoring those. We are still, over a year later, finding files that need to be manually restored.

The second issue I have with the software is the navigation flow of the online web site. I am someone who navigates primarily with a keyboard when browsing to folders. This is impossible online. If I click "s" to go to a folder that starts with that letter, dropbox jumps to the first folder with that letter and selects the checkbox next to it. I can't keep typing letters to get to the specific folder I want within the s's. I also then have to uncheck the box that dropbox automatically selected in order to get to the folder I do want. The previous design of their web site didn't do this and the update frustrates me at least several times every week.

Leighton F.

Dropbox Business is fast, its UI is simple, it makes storing and sharing of your files seamlessly.

Reviewed on 2018/02/20

Peace of mind knowing that Dropbox Business is in charge of my files.
Also unlike other file storage options, Dropbox is fast, easy to navigate, and constantly evolving to improve its features.
I'm able to seamlessly store and share large files, making it easy to collaborate on projects and work with employees regardless of your location.
There are a number of ways to log into Dropbox, including a desktop app, online access, or an app for your mobile device. That means you can view, edit and share any documents you need with whatever device is most convenient.
You gain peace of mind knowing that with files stored in Dropbox, hardware issues or other disasters will never compromise your data. Even if there's an issue with your in-office technology, you're able to keep on working and accessing whatever files you need.

Pros

A big advantage for Dropbox Business is its ever growing API offerings, which supports a variety of programming languages and the technologies it integrates with.
Also Dropbox Business lets your organizations create custom integration that extend Dropbox to a wide range of applications and services.

Unlike other file storage options, Dropbox Business is fast, easy to navigate, and constantly evolving to improve its features.
You're able to seamlessly store and share large files, making it easy to collaborate on projects and work with employees regardless of your location.
There are a number of ways to log into Dropbox Business , including a desktop app, online access, or an app for your mobile device. That means you can view, edit and share any documents you need with whatever device is most convenient.
You gain peace of mind knowing that with files stored in Dropbox Business , hardware issues or other disasters will never compromise your data. Even if there's an issue with your in-office technology, you're able to keep on working and accessing whatever files you need.

Cons

Disadvantage of Dropbox Business. Slow tech support or lack of built-in editing, although Dropbox Paper has this feature to pick up the slack on that issue.

The bigger issue with Dropbox Business is that it is strictly a cloud service, with no support for on-premises or hybrid implementations. Organizations must rely completely on Dropbox to protect sensitive data and privacy. They have no control over the security model, when patches are applied, how encryption keys are stored, where data and metadata are stored or any other aspects of the infrastructure.

Organizations that consider Dropbox must weigh the security risks, while ensuring that the service can meet compliance regulations specific to the region where they do business. Dropbox stores all metadata in U.S. data centers, which may not be acceptable to organizations in other parts of the world.