Instrumental Reviews

4.9/5 (10 reviews)
Ralph R.

Good software, good company

Reviewed on 2018/03/06

Instrumental made it easy for us to get simple metric collection implemented without running something like Graphite in our own infrastructure or turning to expensive contracts with a service like New Relic.

Pros

Instrumental is a very low-drama tool. It's focused on gathering metrics, making graphs and dashboards, and doing some simple alerting, and it does those things well.

We use it to collect metrics at both the OS level and the application level. When all of that information is in the same system, it's far easier for us to correlate causes and effects in ways that would require multiple open tabs in other systems like New Relic.

I hate "Contact sales for pricing" links when I'm evaluating new additions to our tech stack, so I appreciate their simple, straightforward pricing model.

Their team is also pleasantly proactive and available. At one point they contacted us because our number of metrics had grown, and they wanted to make sure it was intentional. Other times, I've been able to have a quick chat with them about a desired feature or a library question, and it's easy to tell that you're talking with the person who wrote the actual code.

Cons

I can't think of any real negatives. They don't have libraries for every language, but they hit the major items I've needed. In the one case where I had to write some code myself that called their API, their documentation made it very low fuss.

Dan M.

High level system health with the ability to drill down into specifics.

Reviewed on 2017/10/25

V

Pros

It is very easy to get everybody who needs access to it up and running at our company. We use Instrumental as a real time health dashboard of our physical locations as well as monitoring all aspects of our production system.

I love the flexibility that it offers over other similar tools. I never worry about it not being available and it has been a very solid product.

Cons

I'd really like the ability to clone graph groups, this would really help us set up new locations easier.

Chuck B.

Great solution for custom instrumentation/metrics.

Reviewed on 2018/03/13

Tons of custom metrics, with fast & easy graphing of same in up-to-the-minute dashboards.
Could use a couple features, though the support is amazing and they're actively working on many of our requests.

Pros

Our application is instrumented with tens of thousands of custom metrics. Instrumental ingests and charts them all with ease! Our graphs are crucial to the daily operation of our service, and we've trusted them to Instrumental for years. Way more pleasant than Grafana.

Gabriele R.

Powerful and reliable system monitoring

Reviewed on 2017/11/07

Pros

Instrumental is easy and fast to implement. The dashboards allow to monitor the health on the system in one view. The querying language is very powerful and flexible. I can create customized alerts for system critical metrics. The documentation is clear and detailed. Outstanding customer service.

Cons

The user and project settings are very simple and could use a little polish. Other than that I have no complaints.

Steve G.

Instrumental is easy to setup and use, while providing powerful, actionable metrics about your app.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2017/10/19

Pros

The flexibility! Instrumental gives you the ability to track pretty much anything your app can do: how often it happens, how long it takes, trends over time, with alerts when unexpected things happen. In addition to these custom metrics, the instrumental_agent library gives you a rock-solid foundation of commonly-used, actionable metrics right from the get-go.

Cons

While the core functionality of the Instrumental web app is extremely user-friendly, some ancillary tasks like user management (especially with lots of users) aren't as simple as I'd love to see eventually.

Christopher P.

I use Instrumental to get a quick view of how our system is performing on a given day.

Reviewed on 2018/03/12

Easiest way for me to quickly answer questions about what is going on in our remote locations.

Pros

So easy to set up. It is simple, which is a good thing. I can quickly create graphs that answer questions in real time. Before any company-wide meeting where we discuss how our kitchens are performing, I am always taking a quick look at a few instrumental graphs.

Cons

When you increase the time period in scope, you lose some granularity. It would be nice to more quickly clone graphs.

Pranav P.

Easy, Effective and Elegant

Reviewed on 2018/03/13

It really helps determining the usage of our new features and help demo the internal not visible changes to the product owner by showing the dashboards and metrics.

Pros

Easy to use and plug in new metrics - pretty nice grouping you can do on the app itself. Adding new metrics is just a line of code and a new graph. Also ease of grouping metrics by different time window is awesome feature.

Cons

Never used pie charts but having an option to choose different type of graphs would be awesome to have.

John B.

Awesome and quick value-add, wonderful team

Reviewed on 2018/03/09

Insights into the performance of every corner of our own SaaS.

Pros

The software itself gets everything done we need. The support team ensures that we get that realized in our implementation. All of it is for a fraction the cost of competitors.

Ray A.

instrumental is a great and reliable

Reviewed on 2018/03/06

Pros

I move from NewRelic to instrumental and i found it easy to use. Send notification and SMS messages.

Cons

Is hard to set it up for windows computers. But the official version is not released. You may need to make some changes manually

Leo A.

Good tool for basic monitoring

Reviewed on 2018/03/13

Pros

Easy to integrate and use. Provides simple way to view critical metric info. Flexible for multiple platforms and technologies.

Cons

Lacking ability for some of the more complex average based monitoring and multiple condition compare.
Unannounced changes in the API implementation have caused monitoring gaps.