Hubstaff

4,6 (1 457)
Time tracking with screenshots, for remote teams

(1 457)

Dysiree
Dysiree

Hubstaff over other timetrackers

Reviewed on 2019/06/01

It was a good experience however we just moved to a different time tracker as we need to integrate our own system with the time tracker at a lower cost. We did a get a refund once but it never happened again, and this was due to some tech issues on their end.

Pros

Hub staff is very convenient to use and very detailed as screenshots from what the workers were doing are available but it isn't readily available real time. The interface is user-friendly. The percentage of work and movement is there, so you kind of have the idea if the worker is idle or not, hub staff capture 3 random screenshots​ every 10 minutes so it does really help a lot in catching workers who are doing unrelated things while they should be doing work. Apart from this, the admin can restrict the workers from deleting the screenshots but​ it could also be enabled in the setting, when screenshots are deleted, it also deducts the 10 mins. Both admins and users​ can add time manually depending on what you set up.
With the support people, I think they are okay, but can only be reached through emails and chatbox on the website.

Cons

One of the issue 90% of us encountered​ with hubstaff is with setting up, the timezone is really hard to set up, but hubstaff provided a troubleshooting guide link also posted on their website, but still it is quiet techy for someone who is not tech savvy​.

Another thing that I least like about the software is that, they can't track real time, which I think is very essential for most businesses. They don't have a live monitoring set up.

The Customer service is good, however it is very unconvenient to reach them, I would really prefer them to have a phone line so I don't have to type a very long email explaining about my technical issues. Apparently, they can only be contacted through chatbox in their website (which is not 24/7) and through emails.

Lastly, I really don't like how google gives ideas and accesses on tutorials on how to bypass the hubstaff system. There are a ​couple of ways a worker can bypass the hubstaff system and it may seem to you that the worker is working but actually not. Applications and tricks are available online.

Mackie

The most robust, one-stop-shop for time tracking especially for remote teams

Reviewed on 2023/04/05

Using Hubstaff has been exceptionally easy across the board. It is an asset for our company to see project profitability, team member hours, and manage time off for a fully remote company. The customer service with Hubstaff is superb. Highly recommend the app!

Pros

The customer service at Hubstaff is second-to-none. They are super responsive and attentive to our account. The clarity in the dashboard and ease of use of the app and online tracking tool is superb. It was extremely easy to implement in our team and get team members onboard for utilising the app through the use of badges and "friendly competition".

Cons

The fact that PTO doesn't count towards the total weekly hours for a team member, which is should so that we can see the team member's weekly hours inclusive of PTO.

TimeCamp, Time Doctor and DeskTime

Reasons for Choosing Hubstaff

More sophisticated app, more flexibility, better dashboard. Easier to implement across a large organisation.

TopTracker

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

Great competitive price for what you get. Great customer experience. Great interface.
Kanaka Kishore
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Worst Service

Reviewed on 2024/01/16

Pros

None, nothing

Cons

Customer service or this Hubstaff is just greedy and always insists on getting paid plan.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Kanaka! I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a pleasant experience with our customer support. This is certainly not the experience we want you to have.

Could you send us an email at [email protected] so we can look into this for you?

Thanks and we'll be keeping an eye out for your ticket. Cheers!

Hubstaff's great UI

Reviewed on 2023/11/04

Pros

It's user interface is seamless and it's a great tool for time tracking; ideal for a remote team that is spread across timezones like ours

Cons

Customer service responses can be a little slow

Tia
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Best Time Tracking and Invoicing Software

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

Easy to navigate, easy to learn, many options for invoicing, many options for tasks/clients/projects...

Pros

I use Hubstaff daily to track my clients, tasks, and invoices. They're always there to help and very easy to work with. 100% recommended for any virtual workers!

Cons

Sometimes I need to make adjustments to time entered and it won't allow me. But I've found a work around and I'm sure this will be updated soon.

Asana

Reasons for Choosing Hubstaff

More options better pricing.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

I loved the trial and it does everything my business needs.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi there Tia, glad you find Hubstaff easy to use. Don't hesitate to email our team at [email protected] if you need any help. Thanks and always be safe.

• Industry: Online Media

A honest review for Hubstaff - Time tracking app

Reviewed on 2021/07/08

It has it flaws, but in overall we like using Hubstaff because of all the options it provides.

Pros

The best thing that we've found out in Hubstaff that by adding the tasks in Asana they can appear in the time-tracking app. Also after doing the tasks the work time automatically gets posted in the Asana. That's a time saviour.

Cons

Some terms are different from the other apps and at some point, it's very strict that you can't put down custom task/to-do names in the app itself where the time would still count like in Toggl.

Reasons for Choosing Hubstaff

This app has screen tracking, better integrations.

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

This app has screen tracking, better integrations.
Silvano

It's a great tool for time management

Reviewed on 2020/08/21

Hubstaff is a great tool. It's really simple to use and it's even fun and motivating to check the amount that you are going to receive bases on the work time.

Pros

Hubstaff is really simple for our collaborators to use to track their work time. It's nice because you can config the hourly rate of the collaborator, and when the team member starts the timer, it automatically starts to calculate the total amount of money gained on that period.

Cons

Sincerely, I think Hubstaff has all the features we need in our organization to track time and calculate the amount we need to spend.

Jira

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

Because of the time management and calculation of the hourly rate

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Silvano, thank you! This means a lot to our team. We are glad you are having an awesome experience with us. Always take care.

• Industry: Entertainment
  • Used for 1-5 months

Amazing Application

Reviewed on 2021/03/10

Extremely valuable.

Extremely valuable.

Pros

The app allows me to monitor the time of projects with a splendid app, not to mention its excellent sync with integrations and easy UX. Good product.

Cons

I really don't dislike anything besides I'd personally love the timetracking app to have a Pomodoro methodical timer as well for projects, as it sometimes runs without me knowing

Time Doctor

Reasons for Choosing Hubstaff

Missing team management and business purposes.

PomoDone App

Price and usability.
Austin
Austin

Hubstaff - Time Tracking has never been easier

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

Overall, Hubstaff has helped solve our time keeping issues at my work and I look forward to new updates to come. Overall, a very positive experience from Hub Staff.

Pros

The absolute best thing about this software is it's sublime user interface. It's simple and intuitive software is unlike any out there. Online time sheets specifically have been useful and easy to use. I absolutely love it and has saved time and money for my company.

Cons

The GPS tracking features can be quite funky at first but with latest updates thing seem to be running smooth as ever.

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

I choose Hub staff simply because of all the features it had over the competition.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Austin,
Thanks for your feedback,

We apologize that you had issues with the GPS feature but are glad to hear that it is working correctly for you now.
If you experience any other issues or have any other questions feel free to reach out to our support team and we will be happy to help.

Thanks again!
Sarah

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Pretty simple payroll and time tracking solution for a small business

Reviewed on 2020/07/11

Its become a crucial part of our backend operations.

Its become a crucial part of our backend operations.

Pros

It is fairly easy to train employees on how to use and the integration for the employer are great like automated payment and paypal integration

Cons

We still have to use our Quickbooks for the heavy lifting regarding accounting, although I don't think hubstaff markets itself as a replacement

Response from Hubstaff

Hey, Hubstaff integrates with QuickBooks quite well. Be sure to check out the integration for greater productivity! Thanks, and stay well.

Ninon

Your Asset when it comes to time tracking

Reviewed on 2023/03/13

Very good. Easy to use and definitely a tool I will keep using in the future.

Very good. Easy to use and definitely a tool I will keep using in the future.

Pros

The best feature of HUbstaff is how easy it is to add projects and assign someone to track them. We bill our clients for example 200 hours of design and resource management and Hubstaff has been our go-to for tracking this time for our invoicing. It's also a really lovely reporting feature where you can easily switch between per project and per member to track the resources effectively.

Cons

The timesheets have an error with the buttons that need to be fixed. I have contacted support before, but I have never once received feedback from Hubstaff support. So definitely zero stars for their support structure.

abdullah
  • Industry: Media Production

My experience with Hub Stuff for over 4 years

Reviewed on 2022/10/31

Pros

Ease of use, flexibility and availability at all times

Cons

The large amount of reports and their presentation format :)

Calamari

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

I work on both systems, but for remote work I rely on Hapstaff

Response from Hubstaff

Hello Abdullah,

Thank you for leaving us this review for the platform. Indeed, at the moment, we do have a large number of different reports that are used to provide detailed information about a specific aspect of the time tracked on the organisation.

However, please keep in mind that we are in the process of releasing Hubstaff Insights, which is a paid add-on for Hubstaff, that offers analysis of various different reports together, using parameters set up by the organisation that utilises this add on. I believe this will be of great benefit to both yourself and other users, or organisations, that are wanting to have a quicker and easier way to analyse the information recorded by Hubstaff.

For more information about the add on, we do have the following support article here - https://support.hubstaff.com/hubstaff-insights-add-on/

Juan

Lightweight, easy, and effective

Reviewed on 2019/03/29

As a time tracking, payment management, and employee monitoring software, Hubstaff does a great job. It does help many companies keep track of their employees and is pretty comprehensive and even fun to use (when you look at it form the browser). Aside from the archaic Windows app, which has many problems, I have no complaints.

Pros

I've only used Hubstaff for time tracking with my company, I've never used it individually, but I've worked with it with two separate companies so far (as a freelancer), and when comparing it to other time tracking and monitoring tools, I find Hubstaff to be one of the most easy to use and amenable. The thing I like the most is the comprehensive user experience from my end, though I can't speak for admins. As a worker I enjoy being in control and up-to-date with my activity.

Cons

I would say that working with Hubstaff can get a little pressuring because of the activity system in place. What I mean is that I understand the way they measure activity but I do believe that looking for an activity sign every second can be very daunting, especially when some affiliate companies look for activity percentages higher than 80% for their employees. This forces many freelancers into a burnout trying to achieve these impossible productivity standards. Of course, Hubstaff can't claim responsability for what its users decide to do with it, but since it's fairly understandable that we (as workers) don't necessarily press keys or move the mouse at all times, maybe it would be better if they counted one activity sign every two (2) seconds, for example. Or if they offered ways to take breaks that were a direct part of the software and not something entirely at the discretion of one's employer. Hubstaff is great, but its current system does seem to favor employers more than employees, in my opnion, and this could lead to exploitation. Another thing is that the Windows app really needs an update, it has many bugs and doesn't look well on the UX side. There should be more options, not just an outdated-looking time tracker.

Rosalina
  • Industry: Insurance

Hubstaff Time Following Programming: A Top to bottom Examination of Elements, Advantages, and...

Reviewed on 2023/02/28

Hubstaff is a dependable and include rich time following programming that can assist organizations and specialists with keeping steady over their errands and bill precisely. Be that as it may, it's vital to consider the cons, for example, the restricted free arrangement, absence of disconnected mode, and protection worries, prior to choosing if it's the right programming for your necessities.

Pros

Simple to Utilize:The user interface is intuitive and easy to use, even for beginners.Comprehensive Time Tracking:Hubstaff offers an extensive variety of time following elements, for example, screen captures, action levels, and time following updates.Integration with Other Tools: Hubstaff incorporates with numerous different devices like Trello, Asana, and QuickBooks, making it simple to oversee projects and smooth out invoicing.Adaptability: Hubstaff offers different approaches to following time, including work area applications, portable applications, and program expansions.Exact Charging: Hubstaff takes into consideration precise charging by following the time spent on each assignment and giving point by point reports.

Cons

Limited Free Plan: The free plan has limited features and is only suitable for small teams.No Disconnected Mode: The product requires a web association with capability, which might be badly designed for clients in regions with restricted web availability.Security Concerns: The screen capture component might raise protection worries among certain workers.Restricted Customization: There are restricted choices for tweaking the product to address explicit issues.Conflicting Action Levels: The movement level component may not necessarily precisely mirror a worker's efficiency level.

Roxanne
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Everything we need!

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

Its a pretty solid program to keep track of your productivity and sometimes I even use it to go a couple days back to check if I was able to do tasks that I may have slipped my mind.

Pros

- random screen capture every 10 minutes that allows managers to check if employees are focused on their intended tasks
- lets you track running time to the second that can also be used to determine pay.
- you can track overall running time with preset time periods or set your own
- forgot to time in? dont fret! you can edit this and leave a note to state your reason so managers can review and approve or reject the changes
- has a mini time window that allows users to check how much time is running without closing any windows
- works great with Mac and Windows
- Different parameters used to measure productivity
- color coded productivity
- can view daily, weekly, and monthly productivity rate
- easy to use interface
- set tasks, projects, invoices, calendar schedules, admin can limit user access
- easy to use dashboard with graphs of productivity

Cons

- its not an exact science. My task is "Product Sourcing" which greatly relies on scrolling through thousands of pages to find a good item to sell and sometimes it takes the whole 8 hours to find 1-2 good items worth a second look. Hubstaff sees this as not productive and gives me a real low productivity percentage rate.
- it can be manipulated if you still have time in between your tasks like opening new windows and tabs and mixing it with other "movements".

Elizabeth
  • Industry: Market Research

Easy Time Tracking But Has Some Downfalls

Reviewed on 2023/06/06

I find Hubstaff to be user friendly but with downfalls that affect my overall opinion. If the desktop app did not impact the performance of my device, I would be happier with Hubstaff. Some features I can appreciate the intention but can't always be used reliably, such as the activity tracker. The activity tracker reports your and your team's active mouse movements on the screen. This percentage doesn't mean much if you are in meetings throughout the day as Hubstaff will report those times as inactive.

Pros

Hubstaff's desktop app is very user friendly and makes switching between projects easy. Admins can add or remove projects from user's list easily. The app does take screenshots of the user's screen which can be useful in certain cases. User's can be added to another user's "team" so that managers can view team member times and activities in a daily email summary or by logging into the online account without being a Hubstaff admin.

Cons

Hubstaff uses a lot of computer memory, especially the screenshot feature. Several users have reported the performance of their computer is affected. There is a mobile app but I have found it only works intermittently, most times I receive an error saying the feature is not available.

Laine

Great time tool

Reviewed on 2019/08/06

We are a completely remote company, and Hubstaff makes it possible to track our individual time spent on all projects, report on that time, send payments in some cases, and keep a detailed log of work that was completed on tasks.

Pros

I like the ability to track individual tasks and customize a dashboard on the homepage to show the metrics that are most useful to you, the individual user.

Cons

The sync with Confluence takes a while to upload tasks into the pop-out timer, and I feel that time is wasted waiting for the update on the timer to occur so I can start tracking time. I also think that the way the timing works per week should be based on the individual user's time zone, and not the company time zone.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Laine,
Thanks for your feedback,

It is great to hear that our software is helping you with managing your remote team.
We understand that it can be frustrating when you need to update the tracker.
However when you update the tracker this means you can use the most recently added features and tools,

We apologize for the inconvenience and if you have other feedback you would like to discuss feel free to contact our support team directly and we will be happy to help.

Thanks again,
Sarah

Ray

Cenedex Software Solutions - Hubstaff Review

Reviewed on 2019/06/04

Hubstaff has been our preferred platform to track all of our employee hours and tasks for a very long time, and we are extremely happy with the results in helping us organize our work flow and management.
We have been able to realize the ease in a long standing promise of transparency to our customers by sending frequent, detailed reports on the hours of developers on client projects.

Pros

We especially love about hubstaff is the newly released "Hubstaff Tasks" function which allows us to track the task along with the time taken for each user. As a software company that prides itself in transparency, our clients truly appreciate seeing how their money is spent, and Hubstaff offers them the perfect easily-exported PDF files.

Cons

Rather than what we like least, we recognize that each platform is a growing and developing business, and Hubstaff has show us that they are constantly improving to meet customer needs.
To this extend I would love to see these improvements in the next major update:

1) To be able to connect one-single project to multiple integrations at a time, for example to Hubstaff Tasks as well as Quickbooks.

2) To be able to upgrade a single user or owner to a higher plan, so as to take advantage of the higher tier benefits.

3) To be able to edit Immutable times from external integrations, in the case of Human error in selecting projects or Tasks.

Jason
Jason

Love me some Hubstaff

Reviewed on 2020/07/20

Pros

It has revolutioned the way that we manage our employees. It's amazing to be able to see granularly what they are doing so we can manage them more effectively and have them use their time more productively.

Employees waste time, let's face it with Facebook, cell phones, lots of other stuff is distracting them and wasting you the owner ofyour companies time, give them an inch, they will take a mile. Let's keep honest people honest and let them know from the beginning, if they are here to work, they are here to work and not to waste any time!

Cons

None really, I love it. It has met and exceeded all of my expectations.

Time Doctor

Perceived ease of use

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Jason, we appreciate this! Thanks and stay well.

Incredible time-tracking software

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

Pros

This is a very, very easy-to-use time management software that can work in businesses of many shapes and sizes. I love that rather than just digitally tracking time, you can even assign your time to different projects, locations, etc. It works on Mac and PC flawlessly, and although I haven't used the mobile app, I've heard good things about it.

In terms of trusting your workers, it even can screen capture the main display of their PC/Mac to ensure they aren't slacking off. This also tracks how much "activity" (mouse movement only, I think) per 10-minute period.

Cons

Really not too many cons with this one - very straightforward as an enduser, and very straightforward to setup for others.

I think that presentation wise, the program could be rebranded to be a bit cleaner-looking, or higher-end. It's simple, it works, but I think it could be visually enhanced a tad. In terms of function, there's not much to criticize other than editing time after the fact. I have found it sometimes cumbersome to overwrite/change old time entries after entering them, as when it overlaps with another time, it doesn't allow you to submit.

It does the Job, and does not interrupt

Reviewed on 2021/06/21

It's great, just the right tool for the job, and I barely feel that I'm being monitored, it takes your mind of that and just gives you enough space to focus on your work.

Pros

* It's a great productivity tool to have for a company who want's to manage their employee activity tracking with ease.
* Easy to setup specifically in the employee's side.
* Does not require much resource, you'll barely feel it running on the background even though it takes screenshot of your desktop by the minute, so you'll never get interrupted by it.
* Accurate activity & time tracking
* Smart features, like when an employee is inactive for a certain amount of time, it will pop-up a prompt informing the employee that he/she is already inactive, when you get disconnected from the internet it will still resume time tracking, but the activity tracking will halt and it will sync back once your connected again.

* Frequent updates, which in turn addresses any existing bug in the software.
* Cross platform

Cons

* An occasional automatic-stop-time issue, it rarely happens, but when it does, it's a huge hassle.
* Automatic logging out issues, these are knit-picked issues really, and future users might not experience this anymore due to frequent updates done by the hubstaff dev team.

used it daily for 13 months for my remote job

Reviewed on 2022/11/25

Pros

i managed to work remotely with this app and my manager introduced this software for me and showed me how its amazing tracking for time and some screenshots being taken to assure to the boss that work is in progress

Cons

i would say alittle bit should include a warning to the employee that he is being tracked by some managers, lucky for me my manager told me the way it goes but you can be tracked with out your consent if you don't know this app and start using it

Response from Hubstaff

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review of Hubstaff. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your experience on the platform.

Please be advised that Hubstaff aims to provide transparency both for the person(s) tracking time, as well as to their organisation's management, about the information being tracked in displayed on Hubstaff as a result of the tracked time. This is why the same information is available to both parties on Hubstaff, so both are in the clear as to what information has been tracked and is available on Hubstaff.

Additionally, it is the case that the person tracking time has to manually start the time tracker on their computer, or other device, when the time time tracking is to be done, in order to it to happen.

Amanda

Nice for employer, terrible for employee.

Reviewed on 2021/04/08

As a user, I did not like Hubstaff at all. It causes added tension during the workday and makes you feel like you need to be staring at your screen 100% of the time. Phone/Zoom calls are not considered in their metrics. As an employer, I understand wanting to see how productive your employees are, but processes should be in place to where you know if they are doing their job naturally. Have a little trust in your employees and they'll do great work for you.

Pros

The user-friendly interface made it a very easy software to install and use. As a user, you can easily see what your manager will see and judge your productivity on it.

Cons

It's terrible being monitored by mouse and keyboard usage for 8+ hours a day. Your productivity isn't measured by those metrics. For example, we had zoom meetings during the day to discuss streamlining processes between departments. Hubstaff showed that we were not working at all for that hour meeting, which skews the daily metric TERRIBLY. I also do not think it's beneficial for employers to hover over their employees strictly, but that's not HubStaff's fault.

Response from Hubstaff

Thanks for the feedback!
We understand that the tracker does not take into consideration calls and meetings.
If your job role requires you to be on calls or in meetings we recommend that you discuss it with your employer as all of the tracking requirements are fully customizable by your employer.

Thanks again!

Mrugank

Simple, accurate work time tracking software for growing businesses

Reviewed on 2020/07/17

- very happy with the subscription and would like to refer to other companies.

- very happy with the subscription and would like to refer to other companies.

Pros

- easy to use
- setup is not difficult specially while onboarding new person in the team
- client setup and reporting is great
- different kind of reports are very helpful
- there are payment integration software but bring more like i can transfer directly from my bank account.

Cons

- need multiple hours so billing and paying hours could be in different currency. specially when paying country is different then developer's team country
- time off (leave) period should be dynamic . like here we consider financial year so we didn't consider from Jan - Dec instead we consider April - March
- lower activity: report should exclude time below any percentage. at the moment doing it manually and it is very tedious task.

Response from Hubstaff

Hey Mrugank, thanks for your feedback. We'd like you to know that we're keeping notes and that we're constantly working on improving Hubstaff. Stay safe!

Jessica
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

The best time tracking platform out there

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

It saves me so much time and allows me to easily check work product progress for my staff and partner consultants who work a state a way or across the world. It also allow me to be completely mobile when I need to be and allows the same for my staff/partners.

Pros

Hubstaff is, hands down, the best time tracking platform on the market. My business would not function efficiently without it, and I honestly wouldn't be able to be as mobile as I am without it. My business model depends upon collaborations and Hubstaff makes that possible for me with very little time spent on administration. You simply can't beat the cost for what you get!

Cons

While Hubstaff is brilliant at what it does, I haven't upgraded to their premium account because I find the payroll and billing to lack the flexibility I need to work well. For example, it doesn't allow me to write-in a description of activities accomplished on the billing, which some of my clients require. So I'm stuck using other platforms for that. Also, there's so much potential in their task system to replace other project management platforms, but it's not there yet.