1 130 reviews

Hubstaff

Time tracking with screenshots, for remote teams

1 130 reviews
Laine K.

Great time tool

Reviewed on 2019/08/06

We are a completely remote company, and Hubstaff makes it possible to track our individual time spent on all projects, report on that time, send payments in some cases, and keep a detailed log of work that was completed on tasks.

Pros

I like the ability to track individual tasks and customize a dashboard on the homepage to show the metrics that are most useful to you, the individual user.

Cons

The sync with Confluence takes a while to upload tasks into the pop-out timer, and I feel that time is wasted waiting for the update on the timer to occur so I can start tracking time. I also think that the way the timing works per week should be based on the individual user's time zone, and not the company time zone.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Laine,
Thanks for your feedback,

It is great to hear that our software is helping you with managing your remote team.
We understand that it can be frustrating when you need to update the tracker.
However when you update the tracker this means you can use the most recently added features and tools,

We apologize for the inconvenience and if you have other feedback you would like to discuss feel free to contact our support team directly and we will be happy to help.

Thanks again,

Arianna maouna B.

Make remote work possible with Hubstaff

Reviewed on 2018/09/26

My organization is trying to reduce cost by letting employees work remotely. This is also to allow us to hire talent not just from our country but to all parts of the world as well. Through Hubstaff, it makes managing people easier because there is transparency. Hubstaff's ability to track time, measure activity level and take screenshots of what the workers are actually doing have helped us achieve our business goals.

Pros

At first I thought it would be impossible to work with a group of people living from different parts of the country. But through Hubstaff, it allowed me to manage these people with the Task Management tool, easily and accurately measure their productivity level, and at the same time, see what they have been working on with the Screen Capture feature.

Cons

My only concern with Hubstaff, or any product for that matter, is the cost. Everything that offers good quality service really comes at a price, and I think Hubstaff has given me that. My organization has been using Hubstaff for over 3 years now and we are still and will continue to use it for years to come.

Best that we have found

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

We use Hstuff to run our entire business. We would be lost without it to track time on projects and employees hours.

Pros

Able to track time per task/project
Able to monitor time spent and activity levels of employee
Able to monitor screenshots and change frequency of them being taken
Great customer support
Able to manage a global business with workers working from their home (no need for office)
Able to track employee's hours/activity

Cons

I have seen instances where staff overseas used a program to create mouse movements and keyboard strokes to mimic activity levels but this is minor because actual work output and screenshots tell who is using them. I wish that Hstaff would tell me when this occurs but they cannot due to slander/liability if someone is fired.

Response from Hubstaff

Our software does detect if something "not real" was done instead of real mouse or keyboard moves. We are able to look at the user's logs and let the owner know whether or not we see anything like this.

Julia S.
  • Industry: Animation
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

I use hubstaff to keep an accurate record of how long I've spent on each episode/freelance...

Reviewed on 2018/05/18

I was able to form a more accurate picture for myself of how long it truly takes me to design a full episode, as well as my daily average, and it's helped me work towards my goals of being more productive.

Pros

I like how easy it is to separate my projects and start/stop the clock. My favorite feature is that hubstaff can detect when I've been idle and accidentally left the timer running.

Cons

I work in tv animation and use this software only for myself. Therefore, it has a ton of features that I don't need, and sometimes I think another product might be better for me. My main wish for hubstaff is that there was an intuitive way to just click on a project and see the total hours spent on it. A kind staff member helped me out with this issue, but I'd still rather see an easy way to just click on the project name and receive the results!

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Julia, thank you so much for your feedback, we always appreciate hearing what our customers have to say and strive to make our software more user-friendly. We will pass your suggestions along to our development team.

Lori R.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Great for our use

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

We bill by the minute/second and run reports for payroll and client billing through Hubstaff. It meets our needs incredibly well for this and we haven't found a time yet where it hasn't worked. The site is always up and running and the clocks are never down, which is important since staff works 24/7.

Pros

Accurate time capture - we use it to clock billable hours and the reports and accuracy are spot on

Cons

We cannot get our Salesforce integration to work, and I've tried multiple times. It's hard to understand the integration, even though it seems I follow the directions.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Lori,
I do apologize that you are having issues with your Salesforce integration. I would like the chance to work on resolving this. Would you please contact our support team at https://support.hubstaff.com anytime that is convenient for you?

April ann E.

The Hubstaff Report Review

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

Most probably the problem that company facing from their remote employee is how to track them when they are miles away, thanks to Hubstaff, They just got what it takes for the businesses problem-solved thru tracking their employees work, and of course employees have a good time tracking their workloads and have their proof that they did really work.

Pros

I like the most about it, but there is something special about their Report Section, Where you can see how much your Company Owes you each month thru their Monthly Hours report, as an hourly pay employee
of our company, I need to send an invoice to the company's respective finance department, So it is easy for me to calculate my Monthly hours as I am receiving my salary at the end of each month.

Cons

Not Cons, but maybe some memory glitch :) I rarely forgot to turn it on once I've paused for some 5-minute break, and its just ugh, I did not track my time for more than an hour.

Great for time management of entry-level employees

Reviewed on 2020/09/14

Overall experience is positive. I like that they offer a limited free version to get in and test things out before committing. The screenshots help to keep entry level employees on task and efficient, and the billing reporting features work well for independent contractors or agencies alike.

Pros

For most of our salaried positions we don't need to track time as closely. However, with some of our entry level employees we wanted to make sure they were staying on track and have a way to export their time entries to our payroll software Gusto. This accomplishes all of that. This takes screenshots randomly every 10-30 mins to keep our reps accountable.

I've also used this as an independent contractor and it's good for proactively showing transparency and generating reports to bill clients as well. You can setup projects and assign tasks to manage projects in addition to the billing/reporting functions.

Good for independent contractors and small teams.

Cons

They do offer a limited free version that I used as an independent contractor, but it is buried and not advertised well. I realize it's in Hubstaff's interest to get people on the recurring monthly plan (which I did once we grew), but I feel like they could position it better like Mailchimp does, and talk about how the software "can scale as your company does". The software does in fact do that, but they don't do a good job of presenting that.

Another potential con. We give more trust and autonomy to our salaried employees and this might rub them the wrong way if we tried to make them use it.

I also wish they'd improve the interface on the native mac app. It looks like Microsoft Lync circa 2005. Functionally, it works, but the interface is dated to be sure.

Kristine kae D.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Hubstaf Checking of Screenshot

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

Hubstaff is really beneficial for remote employers as well as users. Especially for employers, they can easily monitor if their staff is really working or not. The screenshot is easily tracked as well. For users, they can know how productive they are in a day which they can monitor, evaluate and will lead to better work.

Pros

It can measure my activity rate, the length of time I use a certain application, and everyday emails of my daily work summary, from this I can easily monitor and evaluate my productivity.

Cons

-Email of daily work summary is sometimes incorrect.
-Hubstaff time wasn't accurate most of the time after editing it, for example, Today, I deleted time for certain person on my team for this day and then next day, time is there again like I didn't edit it.
-Time didn't sync immediately especially if the staff turned off the computer immediately.
-Hubstaff takes time to load most of the time.

Hanna G.

Tracks time, but is sometimes slow.

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

It feels a little odd having my screen captured, and the "activity" percentages don't reflect time I spend reading, etc, but it seems like an easy way for my employer to track my work hours.

Pros

It's extremely easy to use, and it records activity in a way that benefits me and my employer.

Cons

If time is deleted or added manually, that does not always show up in my tracker window, which makes estimating time spent per day more difficult.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Hanna,
I wanted to thank you for the nice review! I also wanted to let you know that you should be able to hit the refresh icon at the bottom of your app after time is added or subtracted manually and have it show up in the app. Please contact us anytime at https://support.hubstaff.com if there are questions.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

I work on several grants and to ensure that this is tracked, I use Hubstaff to track my own...

Reviewed on 2018/05/15

I can manage my own time better and can see over the course of the week, which are the projects that I am neglecting. This helps me plan my time for the coming week.

Pros

I can have different grants listed and when I work on those grants, all I have to do press a button to track my time. When I am doing my own personal admin, time can be tracked too. This has increased my awareness of how my own time is spent and also when I am neglecting some of the my projects.

Cons

I have not used this on the laboratory computer since it takes screenshots which may contain confidential information and am prohibited from letting that get out. I have talked to the customer services that and mentioned that I would like their function taken out and it is a huge security risk.

Response from Hubstaff

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your feedback. In regards to the screenshots, you can disable this feature altogether, simply go in to the admin settings of an organization and change the screenshot frequency to "none." If you have any additional questions you can email us at [email protected]

Great product

Reviewed on 2019/09/18

The product helped us expand rapidly by adding a large number of team members to our company, without risking being scammed. This helped us grow faster than we could have ever hoped.

Pros

Easy to manage people remotely. Builds trust and makes the entire team work in a uniform way.

Cons

Only a few features are lacking. Such as more than one currency option.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback!

It is great to hear that you are liking the software and that it is helping develop trust within your team.
We understand that having multiple currencies would be beneficial to your organization, Would you mind reaching out to me directly at [email protected] to discuss this.
Thanks again!

• Industry: Publishing

Can still use some work

Reviewed on 2018/07/28

Despite the somewhat aggravating issues with lack of intuitive controls and the inability to append screenshots to invoices, it has done its job of tracking time and helping me compile professional-looking invoices. However, after I finish my current project, I'm considering moving all my independent clients to my Upwork account since Upwork is now allowing us to bring our outside clients in at a 0% fee, which means I don't have to use an independent escrow service.

Here's what would keep me a loyal Hubstaff client:

- Make the controls more intuitive and user-friendly
- Give each project a one-stop dashboard where we can access all data related to it
- Perhaps find a reliable escrow service to partner with so that we can keep track of escrow and budget together in one place

Pros

The time tracker is easy to use. I especially like that it detects idle time and prompts me to decide whether to delete it. This is a huge time-saver since it prevents me from having to figure out exactly when I walked away from the computer and forgot to stop the time.

Cons

As far as I can tell, there's no way to append the screenshots to an invoice or to send them as a separate file. I have not yet contacted customer support to find out if there's a way to do it, but that's such an obvious function for users to want that it should be easy to find and use. Also, there should be an easier, more intuitive way to access a project's data. I should be able to click "Projects," then click the project I'm interested in, and then have a little dashboard with links to timesheets, screenshots, and invoices for that project. Currently it only lists members assigned to that project and tracks where we are with the budget. This should really be a one-stop page for the project -- and consequently should probably be at or near the top of the left-hand sidebar menu.

Windalfin C.

Keeping track of your team activity

Reviewed on 2020/07/22

Pros

Jira integration, activity tracking and team management

Cons

Reporting can be better, on team overview it is lacking flexibility

Chad H.

Excellent way to track employee productivity and ensure they're working

Reviewed on 2018/09/24

I really like hubstaff and have signed up for another company I own and have recommended it to several others as well.

Pros

I am able to see what my employees are doing all the time. Before using hubstaff, I didn't know when they were messing around and when they were actually getting work done, but it seemed like there was an awful lot of messing around. Now they don't mess around because they know there is a screenshot taken every 10 minutes.

Cons

I have had some issues with employees having trouble with the software in regards to tracking their time or other technical problems, but nothing major.

Tyler S.

Hubstaff: Best for Time Tracking, Timesheet and Payroll Automation

Reviewed on 2019/06/10

Time tracking for teams that don't co-locate (remote, construction, service, cleaning, etc.) plus outstanding integrations for payroll, project management, and budgeting.

Pros

Outstanding support and demos. Their team is always making the product better. I've been using the product less than 2 months, and they've already made things even better than they were before.

Cons

Opening screen is a little busy, but seems like they are already working on helping it make sense. If you click through you can set it up so it only shows what you want.

Response from Hubstaff

Thank you so much for your review, Tyler! We're so happy to hear you're finding Hubstaff to be of value to your work efforts.

Robert K.

Hubstaff is a necessity for any agency!

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

We've increased profit margins since using hubstaff and have a much better idea of how we should be billing clients for what type of projects. Really, could not do without it!

Pros

While there are other tools for time tracking, we like the different integrations that hubstaff allows into other tools that we use. This makes tracking, billing, and managing resources much easier for the entire team.

Cons

The actual design/usability of the platform is sort of tricky at first. The menu nav makes things more confusing than it needs to.

First time user

Reviewed on 2019/03/29

Overall my experience has been great. Especially in helping me organize and keep
Tracking of my time work from home , also in organizing my role and duties for work each day.

Pros

As a first time user , hub staff was very easy to use and learn.

What I like most about it , is the pause and resume option, which come in handy especially for someone like me working from home.

Cons

I really don’t have any cons for the hub staff app.

But I would love it if it had a gps tracking , in the sense of location during the time of work/ clock in

Response from Hubstaff

Hi,
Thanks for the great review! I did want to let you know that we do offer GPS tracking while you are tracking time using one of our mobile apps and with our premium subscription. You can read more about it at https://support.hubstaff.com/hubstaff-mobile-app-location-tracking/. Please don't hesitate to contact us anytime you have questions at https://support.hubstaff.com.

Pratik J.

Good Time Tracking and Productivity Monitoring Tool

Reviewed on 2020/10/19

Hubstaff has really helped in the COVID-19 pandemic time. It has reduced many admin works and improved the productivity. We can easily analyze each and every work time process and improve it for growth.

A tool that help you to grow!!

Pros

Product is quite easy to use and has a variety of integration. It has built-in project management for team. Now it is easy to manage the accuracy of work time and manage time sheets in no time.

Cons

I think there should be a leave management so admin can easily manage it. Sometime user forgot to complete the task at day end so when PC (Device) is logged off then tracker should be paused.

Brent lionel M.

Hubstaff is a useful tool in tracking individual team member performance

Reviewed on 2018/12/10

I love Hubstaff because it's affordable and you can easily manage your team under the platform when it comes to work performance tracking and payroll.

Pros

Hubstaff is a great way to monitor your team's work activities. It can measure the activity level of the employee from the scale of 1 to 10 on each 10-minute interval screenshots. It also allow you to monitor the number of hours spent on each task completed. It allows you to see how many hours had been spent by each member so far and you can also manage their payroll inside the platform.

Cons

I want to see more features to the software like tracking the sites that has been opened by the freelancer while he or she was working.

Rio V.
  • Industry: Design
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Hubstaff does its job!

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

I think overall my experience was pleasant. Unfortunately I've never been the type to keep my computer movement tracked, but for someone looking for a tool to track people who are working remotely etc this is a great tool.

Pros

There are two things I absolutely love about Hubstaff:

1. Ease of use - I still remember the first time I jumped in to use hubstaff and automatically I knew how to use it and navigate through it. They key main functions are at your grab.

2. Daily reports sent to inbox. (this tool right here is what I thought was of main value) Without having to open the app and navigate to see the log in reports (which you can) I automatically received these reports in my email every single day.

Cons

I wouldn't say this issue is much so the softwares fault, but mainly user error. I would tend to forget to pause my time when going on a meeting etc while I was in the middle of a project so the time will continue to track. It will eventually freeze somewhat, but It would tell me if I want to remove all that time while I was away. Which would throw me off from my actual time worked before getting out of my seat.

Another thing was the screenshots, I understand the purpose of them of course but kind of awkward.

Fermineduar Q.

Simple but powerful application for remote work time monitoring

Reviewed on 2018/02/21

Thanks to this tool saves time and money, by not having to send staff to different geographical areas to do work supervisions, simply review the online activity

Pros

*It is easy to use and install also has extensive documentation and support
* Although it has a very simple and intuitive interface, it is a very powerful tool with very complete reports that allows the individual or group follow-up of remote work teams.
*Thanks to the screen captures allows the real-time monitoring of each progress and evaluate how the work time of each person is actually used.
*The client software is very light and almost does not consume computer resources.

Cons

*It would be great that it would work offline and when recovering connection it will be synchronized with the server and not lose activity reports due to connection failures

Mitchell C.

Hubstaff is a great piece of mind for remote teams

Reviewed on 2015/09/19

We had started using Hubstaff in order to minimize wasted time spent by employees and improve our tracking on projects for budgeting.

Problem = solved. :) In fact, we get additional data, like activity level, which helps a lot.

In the end, we were very happy with our employees, and continue to be! For reference, we're a distributed team of 8 who build customized virtual solutions for our partners looking to grow their business online!

One note: You may get some push back from employees to use this, but in my experience, those who dislike it have been dishonest. Most are completely fine with it!

Pros

The pros of the software are simple: you know what people are working on, and when! It makes your operation incredibly efficient. There are lots of integrations and the support is fantastic.

One nice touch is the daily notification emails that are sent with time worked, and level of activity. We share these publicly with the team.

Cons

Overall it's a great app. The only cons are:
- I wish the public API was more robust, so we could integrate Hubstaff further into other software.
- The UI is a bit dated, so sometimes we have to do a few more steps than I think necessary.

I'm doing this for the gift card.

Reviewed on 2018/12/27

Pros

It seems fairly easy to use and I can keep track of the money I have been paid and what I am owed, which is good for keeping track of finances.

Cons

There seems to be an issue with connecting the automatic payments to PayPal, which I don't like. I would prefer that the payments be done via PayPal automatically each week, but PayPal says that is not possible and Hubstaff has not taken steps to rectify this issue even though they say it is something that is offered with the service.

Dan O.

Intuitive affordable application for contractor time tracking

Reviewed on 2018/03/22

Freelancer.com didn't provide sufficient oversight over contractors paid by time, so I made use of Hubstaff. Hubstaff showed me the pain points of the (apparently rather shy) contractor that I was able to help them overcome in order to make them more productive and make their role more enjoyable.

Pros

Fully functional monitoring and time tracking of remote teams of workers at an affordable price.

The screen capture functionality works well, and there are plenty of customisation in order to balance out the privacy of the worker and the need to capture a desktop screen to ensure that the remote contractor is working.

The application also provides the ability to monitor application usage and URLs, it integrates nicely with JIRA.

It is far superior in my opinion to the tools provided by Upwork and Freelancer.com, moreover the interface is clean and intuitive.

Cons

Payroll; for automatic payments, your options are limited to Payoneer or to Bitwallet.

Traditional corporations tend to be a bit adverse to using tools such as these.

The support of Transferwise or Paypal would be helpful.

(NB: They do support these platforms for manual ad hoc payments).

Sumanthan B.

Worth for the money.

Reviewed on 2019/09/25

Over all it's an amzing software to use. We can simply use it for project management and time tracking.

Pros

This a best tool for online teams.it helps me in the project management and time trackers.Very clean and simple interface.The beauty is there is a mobile app for this software.

Cons

To be honest there is no any big disadvantages in this software . But the website is sometimes confusing . I should be careful to find the right page for create a customized report. It would be nice ,If there is a currency conversion option.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback!

It is great to hear that you are enjoying the software,
I have gone ahead and submitted a feature request to our developers in regards to the currency converter.

If you have any other questions or feedback feel free to contact our support team anytime.

Regards,