CrashPlan

Easy, automatic cloud business backup

• Industry: Photography

Used to be better

Reviewed on 2019/06/12

Pros

It's a "set it and forget it" program which is great for backup and archiving. I loved the feature that allowed you to keep previous versions indefinitely.

Cons

They've recently changed their terms and exclude certain file types for backing up. They eliminated their lowest priced plan and only offer their more expensive plans. Since their organizational changes, I've had lots of connection errors and interruptions. Backups need to be one thing - RELIABLE

Nicolas B.
  • Industry: Photography

Do the job, silently

Reviewed on 2021/02/09

We were looking for a solution for real-time backup of data from our various computers without recurring manual operation.

Pros

More than easy to install, setup and monitor. Then the application is doing the job and backups data in real time.

Cons

The administration console is a bit austere. But ultimately, this is not what we ask of this kind of application.

Great once user's commit to configuring their backup

Reviewed on 2019/10/03

It's a great, set-it and forget-it tool, but Code42 still needs to work on improving end-user experience and encourage end-users to keep their backup list up-to-date so Admins don't feel obligated to nag their co-workers about it when things go wrong

Pros

- Fairly easy to deploy
- Secure
- Noisy when it needs to be
- Enables the admin to be hands-off but they can check in on a backup anytime using the admin portal

Cons

- The end-user experience to set up the tool is pour. As an admin who helped implement this tool I had to walk though the initial setup process with a large number of end-users because they were overwhelmed by the setup process
- After 1.5 years of this tool being implemented, most end-users still don't keep their list of items CrashPlan backs up up-to-date. Their backup list is only updated when they start experiencing hardware issues
- Using Migration Assistant to restore data to a new Mac will corrupt the CrashPlan app and it must be reinstalled which causes confusion for the end-users

Chris J.

Big fan of the set it and forget it method of backup with CrashPlan

Reviewed on 2018/05/10

The versioning of your files is awesome, and the upload of changed/new files is really quick and can be set to backup at certain times with specified processor usage.

Pros

I love how my business version of CrashPlan continuously monitors my computers for any changes then uploads those changes to the cloud. Even though I run image backups of all our computers on the network, I will backup all important files to these computers which are then encrypted, uploaded, & versioned so that I can always go back in time for previous saves of my files. The support staff is great as well. Price is great for our plan which I believe includes 3 computers (originally just 1).

Cons

The interface is a little unintuitive especially when it comes to restoring previous versions of your files, but once you do it a few times it's no big deal.

Darian R.
  • Industry: Design

Simply the Best

Reviewed on 2016/04/14

I am shocked by the number of people that do not have any backup whatsoever, and even more shocked when their only backup is a manual "copy from here paste to there every 6 months".

Whether you are backing up your family photos, music, documents, receipts or business information, project files and work, you will find Crash Plan to be the best option both in terms of usability and cost.

I've personally restored files from crash plan off of backups of computers that I no longer have because they failed, up to 2 years earlier. I back up my whole house. Offsite and every day. It's automated and you only pay around $6 a month so there is no excuse not to do it.

Pros

Peace of mind! I have over 1GB of photos as I am an avid amateur photographer of my kids and other things. I also take lots of video. It's all backed up.

All of my tax returns, anything is there backed up. I've had computers die, built a new one and then adopted an existing backup so it doesn't have to redo 500-800GB of data all over.

Cons

It can take some time to initially seed your backup if you have close to 1TB or more. And the connection depends largely upon your internet connection quality.

The cons are not a show stopper for me. I might miss one or two files being backed up from time to time until the next day.

• Industry: Information Services

Crashplan is making a significant progress.

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

I have deployed Crashplan to multiple companies as a secondary, offsite backup solution.

Pros

-Simple to setup and use.
-Very reliable.
-Easy restores.
-Unlimited retention.
-Fairly inexpensive.
-Server and desktop versions available.

Cons

-I feel the customer support is fairly lacking, but adequate if you are willing to wait a little bit.
-I have experienced a lot of issues with creating an account and/or updating the CC recently on their website.

Ben L.
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great backup tool

Reviewed on 2016/11/17

I've been using Crashplan for the last 3 years. I purchased a family plan of 5 machines, so I'm able to backup my PCs as well as my wife's macbook, etc. I really like that I have the option to backup locally to another machine in my home, to someone else that I know that uses crashplan, as well as to the Crashplan Cloud. Several times, I've wanted a file from my home PC while at work so I just opened the Crashplan Application on my work PC, Change to my home PC, and restore the file I wanted. This saves me from having to have an FTP server running at home, possibly opening me up to security concerns.

I'm also a big fan of the Android App. Once or twice now I've wanted a file while away from home/work so I just restore it via the app to my phone. :)

Pros

Easy to install & setup.

Cons

The cost is a bit higher than some of the other cloud backup services, but it's worth it.

Michael R.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Reliable and fast backup solution

Reviewed on 2017/08/08

Pros

Trustworthy backup solution. Having used code42's backup solutions for both business and personal backups for over 5 years, I can attest to their reliability and speed of backup.

Business plans allow one to access employee backups online, which saved us a ton of rework.

Personal plans also allow remote restoration, giving real peace of mind regarding the safety of personal files.

• Industry: Animation

It's an easy to setup software to keep your files uploaded remotely

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

I lost my files because the software took weeks to upload everything. When I needed to retrieve my files I saw that not even half of my files were uploaded. Lost single copies to old photos. Customer service didn't provide any help other than "what's there it's there".

Pros

I liked that it was easy to install, plus it's one of the cheapest options to get your files stored remotely.

Cons

I found that it takes a lot of resources to keep everything up to date, also the transfer speeds are really slow. They should have an options to increase to unlimited bandwidth when the computer is not in use.

Philip M.
  • Industry: Investment Management

Good backup

Reviewed on 2019/12/16

A good product overall. Takes the worry out of safely backing up data. Easy to recover files from the backup.

Pros

-easy to use and learn
-simple and quick recovery of any files
-can backup external drives
-lots of storage
-constant automatic backup of data

Cons

-pricing has been increasing signifivantly over time
-uses a lot of system resources when it is backing up data

Samuel L.

CrashPlan, Really great for ease of mind.

Reviewed on 2016/09/14

We are using crashplan for a few years now. It's backup all files on ours computers really easy.
It help prevent the lost of data either accidentally or via a malware.

Pros

-The user interface.
-The flexibility of all the options for scheduling backups
-The self service which is really great.
-Really easy to backup to the cloud.

Cons

-Some of the settings are not easy to access
-Sometime I had a few issues connecting to computer on the same LAN.
-Huge amount of small files can be a pain to backup.

• Industry: Graphic Design

I use this to backup all my files to an external location!

Reviewed on 2018/04/09

Pros

The ease of use and "set it and forget" it by scheduling my backup nightly. I know my files are securely backed up off-site in case of emergency or major system failure.

Cons

Recently the software crashes or does not load on computer restart. I have to manually stop and start the service to make sure the application is running.

Robert B.

Good Backup Solution

Reviewed on 2018/03/15

For the price, this is a very good cloud backup solution.

Pros

Easy to install and setup, the price is nice with no limits on how much storage you can use which is very convenient and cheap.

Cons

Support isn't the greatest. Recovering files is not straight forward enough to use troubleshooting is not as easy as it should be.

Jada R.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Crashplan

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

Business cloud backup plan is superior to some others.

Pros

Excellent Cloud backup option. Backups are easy to configure and restoring single deleted files is so helpful.

Cons

They got rid of the residential version that was a great product for the price.

Hans L.
  • Industry: Publishing
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Endpoint Backup made easy to use and manage

Reviewed on 2016/08/23

Do yourself a favor and choose Code42 CrashPlan if you are looking for an endpoint backup that is easy to setup and deploy. CrashPlan will not let you down when you need it the most to recover your hard day's work.

Pros

Ease of setup with a clean client interface which make self-restores an easy process. Haven't had to submit a lot of support cases because the product just works but when I have, they are always helpful.

Cons

Nothing Major - Reporting could be presented a little better.

CrashPlan saved our business. After a bad hard drive crash we were able to restore everything.

Reviewed on 2017/10/13

I can rest easy, knowing that my clients' files are automatically being backed up on a daily basis.

Pros

Easy to configure what you want to backup. Clear indications on what is actively being backed up. Easily restore individual or groups of files. Great customer support!

Michael K.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Best Backup Solution I've Found

Reviewed on 2016/01/16

I have personally been using CrashPlan for the past few years after testing the "share to friend's feature". I liked what I saw, did some research, and decided to jump. It was money worth spent especially for the peace of mind it brought for protecting my files, pictures, and music.

Little did I know that not long after purchasing a personal subscription to CrashPlan, my employer decided to purchase PROe. As an IT technician, I was part of the initial rollout so that we could evaluate it for the rest of the organization. A couple of years later and we are still using it and rely on it to backup every computer assigned to a full-time employee. On multiple occasions, CrashPlan has been there to restore data during catastrophic issues. Hard drive failures, not a problem. CryptoLocker, no sweat. We even use it for new computer deployments and just have the end user download their backed up data and then adopt their former computer’s backup. Everything just seems to work.

Lastly, Code42 support has been great to us. They are quick to respond to questions or concerns. I cannot recommend CrashPlan highly enough.

Pros

Fast, reliable backups. Easy to restore in times of failures or upgrades

Cons

Backing up to or from network drives could be better. It only really works well when installed in a multi-user environment.

Payne (.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great way to back up your stuff

Reviewed on 2016/03/22

I have used Crash Plan for several years now. I started out with just the free version backing up to a friends computer. I found it super helpful to back up to the cloud and have access to all of my files from my phone, or any machine I logged into. I back up my parents computers to my own machine and the cloud as well. It is super easy to use and sits in the back ground without needing any special attention. I also like the backup reports I get in my email every week and special reports when a certain machine hasn't been able to back up in a while.

Pros

Easy to use.
Allows me to back up to any location for free.
Has a cloud backup solution that is excellent.
I have saved my three terabyte hard drive twice in the last 2 years.
Unlimited cloud storage when paid for.

Cons

It is sometimes a resource hog.
The interface feels a bit clunky and out of date.

• Industry: Research

Code 42's Crash Plan is company that truly looks out for your company and you.

Reviewed on 2015/11/11

We have used this service for over a year. It has saved us alot of headache and stress for when we have needed to retrieve our employee's records from a laptop possibly crashing, being stolen or from user error. This software is a one stop shop for all of your back up needs.

Pros

The simplicity of using the software is amazing. The customer support is there 100%. They are constantly looking to improve their product from those of us who utilize the software. Not many companies out there that actually listen to the end user. Code 42 does.

Cons

Truthfully some look at the pricing as an issue. For the quality service they offer it is well worth the price and then some. Knowing that important data has been backed up and not losing it is priceless.

Crashplan makes backing up your computer easy

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Pros

Running daily backups on my laptop is easy with Crashplan. Just set it and let it do the work. It doesn't seem to hog bandwidth while backing up either.

Cons

There aren't any cons to mention. It has been reliable.

Great App and worth it

Reviewed on 2015/09/23

We have been using Crashplan now for 3+ years. It has taken very little time to maintain and it just works. We have about 80 accounts on it backing up close to 160 devices. We also use it to back up our file servers. We still back up to tape, but it is a lot quicker to restore a lost or deleted file from within Crashplan than it is off the backup. We typically use it on all our Mac and PC laptops and the users don't even know it is in the background working. Great tool.

Pros

Very easy to set up. You can set it up and almost literally forget that it is there. It odes what it says it does and it does it very well.

Cons

I wish they would find a way to have this Crashplan as an app that would back up your iPhone or Android device.

Marshall C.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Piece of mind

Reviewed on 2016/04/13

I have been using Crashplan for over three years. I really like having the ability to go back to a specific date and time and restore an old copy of a file or entire project. Crashplan Is able to do this with deduplication so the archive size doesn’t grow exponentially. It is ridiculously fast and easy to restore files. If you are still using tape backups, you have no idea what you are missing. Backing up to multiple destinations is also a key feature. Every time I restore files, I am amazed at how quick and easy it is.

Pros

Once this is configured correctly, it works very well.

Cons

If you do encounter a problem, you will more than likely need to contact support to help you solve the problem. Thankfully, they have support.

Jeff S.

Seamless Backup

Reviewed on 2018/03/31

Pros

I have been using CrashPlan for a few years and feel "protected" knowing that the application is always running and backing up my files. Perhaps, most beneficial is that you can setup email notifications if your computer hasn't been backed up in "x" days. This is amazing useful. While there are many software platforms that do backups, few alert you when they haven't done one in "x" days. As a result, you are blindly thinking everything is working when it may not.

Cons

I find the restore speeds to be a little slow. It isn't an internet connection issue (tried on fibre and other internet connections). It seems to be more related to how they store the backups and extract the data.

You need this!

Reviewed on 2017/04/06

Pros

Everything Time Machine on the Mac should be but without the need for an external. This product saved my skin multiple times

Cons

If your upload speed is slow, be prepared to wait. This is not a problem with the product, but a problem with ISPs

Aaron M.

Crashplan is the best backup I've ever used

Reviewed on 2017/02/27

it just works. Solid support when you need it, and no issues with getting the files when you need them. I've used crashplan for over two years and noce once has it failed me.

Pros

Cryptowall and other ransomware are nothing to this. It's affordable, and it always works.

Cons

Some work could be done on some error codes. A few acague ones I have to call support on.