OTRS

Helpdesk software for customer service management teams

Jose C.

Complete customer support solution overall

Reviewed on 2018/04/04

Pros

You can manage your support tickets as you please. Merge issues, whatever the channel is: email, telephone support.

And if you need some more juice, there is their API: integrate it with other systems like odoo or vTiger.

Also, it helps you to manage billing hours, SLA, remaining support time for the customer.

Cons

The only thing i can think of is Perl: in a world where all the new programmers come with a web background using JavaScript and other modern technologies, OTRS make it difficult for these kind of programmers to work, but any competent sysadmin can help.

Response from OTRS

Hi Jose! Thanks for taking time to leave a review. We appreciate hearing your thoughts about OTRS.

Easy and Robust Software - Economical Ticketing Solution for any Organization

Reviewed on 2018/07/05

Cost effective Ticketing Software .

Pros

This is an open source application and exactly the reason why we love it in our company. When every year the management cuts our budget, OTRS is a tool where we don't have too spend to much to get great features and also use it to address tickets and eventually delight our customers

Cons

Vendor Support is something that I would expect to be a little better. For some changes they charge a lot

Response from OTRS

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

Rosen R.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

OTRS is one of the best ITSM tools that I've ever seen and I'm so happy seeing its development!

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Pros

Incident management and request fulfillment processes are fully covered by the tool.
It's highly customizable and very stable.

Cons

There are two things:
1. Change management process is a little bit hard to implement;
2. The trend to go into the cloud. We're very conservative organization and we prefer to operate on-premise solutions.

Response from OTRS

Hi Rosen. Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts on OTRS. We appreciate you doing so and hearing about your experience with it.

Tom P.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

OTRS helps our business to organise our customer contacts in a structured way!

Reviewed on 2018/06/12

Pros

OTRS has the ability to configure everything to your needs. Integration with other systems is very flexible via the webservices.

Cons

It would be nice to have more tools to import and export data e.g. service list or content for dynamic fields/lists

Response from OTRS

Thanks for taking time to review OTRS, Tom. We appreciate the feedback.

Tiju J.

Just the best Ticketing Software that I've used

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

ease of addressing tickets and change requests

Pros

My team and I use OTRS to work on tickets let it be Incident or Change Request. This is a feature rich tool that is opensource

Cons

I could not find any cons in the 2 years that I've been using this software. It doesn't have any addins or plugins that could slow it down.

Response from OTRS

Thanks for taking time to share your review, Tiju. We're glad for the feedback!

Manjunath J.

Great Tool to work with . Its easy and fast

Reviewed on 2018/07/03

We use this as our Primary Ticketing Tool.

Pros

We use it on a regular basis and it helps us monitor tickets and work on them. It's absolutely essential for an ITIL based service desk

Cons

The GUI could be better. but that's nothing I'm complaining about. I like the speed at which we can change screens

Response from OTRS

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback!

Suraj R.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

easy tracking on the logged issues and reporting

Reviewed on 2019/08/13

Pros

can be configured as required and the escalation and tracking is easier

Cons

sometimes it is slow when uploading attachments and duplicated when replied with email

Response from OTRS

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. It's appreciated.

Jimmy K.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

First Ticketing Tool that I've ever Used. So Far So Good

Reviewed on 2018/10/02

Pros

I've been using this tool for about 1 month now and I feel this is a great application to track tickets.
The pending reminder feature is great and it lets us know when to follow up next

Cons

Its a little slow when you compare it with other Web based app, but other than that I love using the application

Response from OTRS

Glad it's going well for you so far, Jimmy. Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts.

Johnson M.
  • Industry: Computer Networking
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Great Open Source Software

Reviewed on 2018/08/05

Pros

We are currently testing this product at Symphony Teleca for an internal project and so far so good. The ease of tracking tickets and problem tickets is comparable to the big players like Remedy and Service now. I like the way report generation is easy.

Cons

I can't say since I'm currently testing it, but I can tell you that the tool is powerful but needs custom changes

Katya A.

The best open source best practice's software

Reviewed on 2016/05/30

Pros

The best open source best practice's software, using: help desk, ITSM, FAQ, and Process Management.

Response from OTRS

Thank you for choosing OTRS!

Mohit J.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Basic Ticketing tool for customer desks

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

Basic software for small organization without advanced features of ITIL.

Pros

I used it for sometime in one of my assignments. It was a very basic tool with minimum customization. It just does its job and do not provide advanced features of ITIL framework. Reporting was not effective and so was its UI. We replaced this with more advanced CA Servicedesk. However as a freeware, it was good for initial use.

Cons

It is basic application and nothing much can be expected put of this. Ours is a ITIL compliant organization and need a more robust application.

Response from OTRS

Hi Mohit. Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts on OTRS, and I'm glad you found a solution that fits your needs,

I did just want to clarify, for other people reading, that OTRS is ITIL-compliant, and we have 6 ITIL-verified processes for incident, change, problem, knowledge and configuration management.

Of course, we can't claim that for the ((OTRS)) Community Edition as that's our free unsupported version: in that case, compliance is in the hands of the user - and it can certainly be tough to configure that solo.

But, our fully-managed version of OTRS is ITIL-compliant. Thanks again for the review.

Omar S.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Opensource framework with modern front-end and perl backend

Reviewed on 2018/03/14

Low-cost, scalabale solution that could handle multiple trouble ticket queues within one software context.

Pros

Highly customizable. Perl backend "makes sense" and isn't opaque like some designs. It runs as a set of CGI, so that allows it to be wedged into most any webserver environment. We found it simple to run within an Apache / Linux environment.

Cons

The CGI-based design is relatively inefficient and can be sluggish without making some optimizations on the webserver side -- mod_perl in our case (relatively complicated). Docs are a bit sparse, though customer service is responsive.

Response from OTRS

Thanks for taking time to share your experience, Omar.

Carlo T.

Very useful product

Reviewed on 2019/05/17

Pros

Easy ticket management, high product customization possibilities. Possibility to create many types of reports.

Cons

The CMDB section is just a container of information. It would be useful to have the ability to manage assets by setting thresholds on the age of the hardware to schedule the replacement.

Response from OTRS

Thank you for your comments and feedback. Much appreciate it.

• Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Overall , i found OTRS to be the easiest Ticketing system to use thus far

Reviewed on 2018/06/22

OTRS offered one of the most , if not the most , bang for the buck in my opinion. The support was always on point and promptly responded to all of or requests and questions , they provided on site support when needed and had one of the most pleasant training experience thus far.

Pros

As both a user and an administrator of the software i found the following in my last year of using the software :

Flexibility
Easy customization
Open Source
Powerful Tools

Cons

Although i found this to be the most user friendly of the ticketing there are a few things i think might be improved in the future :

Convoluted Process management
SLA administration cumbersome to use and config
Lacking a few features out of the box

Response from OTRS

Thank you for taking time to review OTRS. We appreciate your feedback.

Joshua B.

customizable, flexible and inexpensive, ITIL

Reviewed on 2018/06/08

Pros

It follows ITIL standards, It is free to use and support maintenance is inexpensive. It does support multiply languages.

Cons

It has a lot of customizable options that can cause some confusion when trying to fix a problems or modify the software. Finding those different options and what heading they are under in the management. The current version we are on does not support an easy SSO/SAML setup out of the box.

Response from OTRS

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for taking time to review OTRS. We appreciate the feedback.

To clarify, for others reading, OTRS is a fully-managed solution. We do offer ((OTRS)) Community Edition that is free to use and open-source, but it requires self-configuration and that can be challenging.

Thanks again for taking time to write in!

Binu M.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Better than Remedy

Reviewed on 2018/07/14

Change Management and incidents are easy to manage with this tool

Pros

This is the only Open Source Ticketing tool that I have used and I should say I'm surprisingly impressed. The change management process flows are easily implemented and easily configured

Cons

There are no cons that I can talk about. This product is as robust as remedy or any other ticketing system

Response from OTRS

Hi Binu. We're glad to hear that the process workflows are helping out. Thanks for taking time to review OTRS.

• Industry: Telecommunications

OTRS - Makes life easy

Reviewed on 2019/02/25

We can manage everything better with tools like OTRS so go give it a try. They offer free demo too.

Pros

- OTRS allows you to keep track of your requirements and all the incidents in terms of tickets. There is no way you can lose something or miss something. With the help of SRX number you will find everything in few seconds. No matter how many years old, those records are.
- You can customize your own process and according to you Ex – standard time to meet the SLA
- The support team is available 24/7 for help and with every new update.

Cons

- I don’t like that feature of OTRS when on every single email it creates new ticket. Besides that, I honestly don’t have any complaints about OTRS.

Response from OTRS

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate it.

Bas P.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Best Ticketing Tool ever

Reviewed on 2018/07/14

Speed and efficiency

Pros

My team use this everyday. Ever since we went live with this tool we were able to accomplish a lot. Incident tickets and Problem tickets are easy to track and manage

Cons

I can't think of any cons. This tool works well and the features are apt for our organization. Use it for a few days and you will get to know

Response from OTRS

Thanks so much for the review, Bas. We appreciate the feedback and are glad that OTRS is working well for your team!

Soma B.

Great Ticketing Tool

Reviewed on 2018/10/11

Pros

I have used this for about 2 years and it is a very simple and powerful ticketing tool. We use it to track our IT Assets aswell.

Cons

This is an open source tool, so you get what you pay for. I did not find any other negative points.

Response from OTRS

Thanks for your feedback, Soma. In case others are reading, there is also a fully-managed version of OTRS.

Samuel D.
  • Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Good, but the community version was discontinued

Reviewed on 2019/06/27

My experience was good, but since there is no community version anymore I'm moving to another one.

Pros

No pros anymore as OTRS AG has discontinued the community (free) version. Version 6 will be the last free version.

Cons

Since there is no community version anymore, business version (commercial) is expensive and lack a lot of features when compared to some newer players.

Response from OTRS

Thank you for taking time to share your review. I do want to mention that, while we have made some changes to when ((OTRS)) Community Edition updates are released, it hasn't been discontinued. It's available at https://community.otrs.com/. Much appreciate the feedback.

Jenna M.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Great ITIL support product

Reviewed on 2019/07/02

Pros

This product is really outstanding, we conducted a review of multiple service management tools and this came out on top.

This gives us much more than call logging, there is the ability to set up full SLA criteria based on details logged by the users. When customers log calls depending on the information they provide means that the case they log can be sent to a specific queue for a specific team.

Ability to see full detail about customer logging call: asset information, contact information and previous calls.

There is a self help option to the product too which can assist with users basic enquiries.

Cons

Integration with outlook hasn't been the easiest.

Response from OTRS

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about OTRS. They are appreciated.

Easy tracking of reported queries

Reviewed on 2019/06/06

Pros

user friendly and easy to use. enables escalation , owner updating and making notes to follow up.

Cons

users are copied with emails the replied mails create duplicate records in otrs

Response from OTRS

We appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts. Thank you.

Alan S.

OTRS is great for small to midsize businesses

Reviewed on 2020/10/09

It's a great daily ticket email system.

Pros

I love the ticket handling and speed of the interface. It's basic layout offers the basics you need to get up and running with a ticketing system.

Cons

The support is little to non-existent but that is expected with the free tier.

Very customizeable, professional service management software

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Makes work easier by having a good overview of ongoing tickets, but also past tickets, with details of what was built / done to offer a solution. That's dependant of what you enter into the system of course, but the options are there and they are clear.

Pros

I've been using OTRS for quite a few years now, and it's an excellent piece of software that makes my life as a sysadmin/support desk guy easier. OTRS understands ITIL, end users and IT pros, and the software supports that. You can link tickets, make internal notes, make FAQs, paste images into text fields, send e-mails, etc. You can also do templates, customize columns, set alerts when things take too long, etc. It's really nice. It even works with our ADFS server, which is excpected of a tool like this, but still. In short, OTRS is versatlize and customizeable.

Cons

There have been minor (cosmetic) bugs here and there, every now and then, which are slightly annoying. Often you can fix these things yourself, but OTRS's configuration is very complex and requires some insight and experience. So in the end, you're gonna have to contact support or read the extensive manual. But buth those options work.

Response from OTRS

Thank you for reviewing OTRS. We appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Remco Q.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great Service Desk ticketing Solution

Reviewed on 2018/08/15

Pros

We have implemented OTRS in our Corporate environment and it is our primary ticketing tool. The ability to track incidents, change requests and Problem tickets is the best feature of OTRS.
The reports that can be generated via OTRS is also a great benefit.

Cons

Since this is an Open Source software, for any major modification the vendor needs to be contacted and extra payment needs to be done.

Response from OTRS

Thanks for taking time to review OTRS. We appreciate your thoughts.