Freedcamp

Project management & collaboration platform for businesses

Comacell
Comacell
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Our Go-To Product Management Site

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Overall I love freedcamp, I've been using this software for two years now and it continues to upgrade the things I always have small issues with so I'm hoping to see them tune up the major flaws. I would suggest this to any group or team needing a software to effectively communicate and delegate work.

Pros

Freedcamp is my favorite collaboration service for multiple users which has helped me organize and collaborate effectively via the cloud. Freedcamp is my ideal software for staying in control of projects, resources, budget, and time. My favorite feature is getting notifications in real-time of updates, questions and or comments.

Cons

My least favorite thing about freedcamp is using the software via the app. I don't like the fact that I can't save images that are loaded up by collaborators or myself. The functions of the app aren't half as good as using the website.

Response from Freedcamp

Hi Comacell,

Thank you for a review. Regarding mobile apps - we just released a new version of our Android app https://blog.freedcamp.com/2018/10/25/freedcamp-android-invitation-install-test/ which has a ful support for attachments. For you iOS users - a new version is ready but since it a brand new application we keep it in beta to be released in December. You can send me a list of your iOS users and will add them to beta so they can also work with attachments - https://blog.freedcamp.com/2018/10/25/freedcamp-ios-invitation-install-test/

Regards,

Jos
  • Industry: International Trade & Development

Freedcamp, great value for money

Reviewed on 2022/10/26

The myriad of things to think of in handling over 40 projects simultanously for sourcing and product development.Since I use project management software the productivity has gone up significanntly, not in the least because of the ease of use of Freedcamp

Pros

I like the ease of use for generating projects and for monitoring projects. I tried different project apps, but Freedcamp stands out; it's fast, has sufficient options and is easy to adjust, both for the admin as for each individual user. The pricing is another factor; the paid options are definitely value for money.

Cons

Missing options at this moment: - integrated email client- integrated email client- integrated email client- wechat integration- baidu cloud integrationLiterally the only thing really missingI dream of a world where Freedcamp has an integrated email client that allows the user to link emails and messages to a project, and that automatically saves attachments to the project folder.And since I work from China, where wechat is the defacto standard for all communication with providers and staff it would be great to be able to zap wechat directly to a project. Specific projects can have specific groups and have that information saved in freedcamp would be really awesome. Also all US based cloud systems are a hassle to use; they require VPN. Integration with Baidu cloud or Aliyun would be a definite advantage.

Jira, Businessmap, Zoho Projects, MeisterTask, Trello, Feng Office and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Freedcamp

We used Freedcamp, and then we switched to Feng Office, which is significantly more expensive, because Feng Office has automated tasks and... a fully integrated email client. The automated tasks options turned out to be a bit less impressive than expected due to the steep learning curve, but the email client was the absolute winner.Yet, after one year we switched back to Freedcamp, because the difference in functionality and reduced ease of use did not justify the much higher price.

Feng Office

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Most of these apps focus on software development or are either too structured or not structured enough for the work that we do. Jira is an exception on this, but it has a steep learning curve and requires much more management, plus it is not really suitable for a small operation like ours. Let's not forget support. Freedcamp and Feng Office were the only two replying adequately to my questions, from most I only received boilerplate reply emails. Also over time, Freedcamp has integrated many of the options and tweaks I have suggested, and I talk directly with the head of the development team. He's professional and straight forward, and gets most of my problems, issues and requests solved - except so far for the integrated email client.
Kayla

Best for the Price, but requires outside the box customization

Reviewed on 2020/08/04

We are using it for all project management, and with our manual customization and workflow, its worth the extra effort for the cost saving.

Pros

Free to use, easy to add new users and clients.

Cons

No easy way to mark project status or move projects through a kanban style workspread.

Eric
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great (Unknown) Project Mgmt Tool

Reviewed on 2020/10/07

I use Freedcamp every day and love it. It is general enough to be useful in any industry, but it has enough features and functionality to be useful for specific industries like mine (legal) that have a significant need for quality project mgmt software.

Pros

I can't say enough good things about Freedcamp plus it has so many features, it is hard to pick just the best one. I judge software, in part, on how much I enjoy using it. Is it useful, beneficial, or even fun to use? Or, does it leave me disappointed, confused, or frustrated. Freedcamp is a joy to use, and it helps me keep my projects on track as well as my coworkers. I am surprised it is not as well known as some competitors like Trello. It should be!

Cons

Freedcamp has some complexity in terms of customizing projects, groups, etc. It can be done but there is a slight learning curve.

Asana

Reasons for Choosing Freedcamp

Trello was too general for my needs and features not robust enough.

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Number of features favored Freedcamp over Breeze, and it is more affordable than Asana. No other software compared.
Mustafa

Freedcamp a great project management tool

Reviewed on 2020/08/07

A great product and fits all budgets with basic functionality kept free. And the power users can purchase advanced functionality as paid plugins

Pros

Freed camps Task management is very powerful. The free version doesn't have sub tasks option but it can be bought as a paid plugin. Also has time logging for developers and milestones which are very critical in project managements. The best part is these also are available in free version.

Cons

The time log export is a bit clumsy and needs some updates. The filters don't always work. At least on my Mac.

Reasons for Choosing Freedcamp

The trello is also a good product but its flexibility in kan ban is a bit too complex. While the basic kan ban structure of freedcamp appealed me.

Jamie

If you want a project management software that works for you...

Reviewed on 2020/08/04

One unexpected benefit of Freedcamp is the improvement to the staff’s morale when I don’t have to do nearly as much micro-managing and instead they can see in writing exactly what is expected, the due date, communicate progress, etc. without a manager constantly asking. It also makes editing or correcting errors or mistakes more like collaboration than like corrections.

Pros

Freedcamp is so incredibly intuitive and user friendly, not to mention, each time I have ever had a hiccup or a desired result from the software that I couldn’t achieve on my own, I just emailed support and they were able to customize from the back end to make it do anything I needed.

I can’t say enough about the amount of time this tool saves me as chief of operations and I can’t imagine doing my job without it.

Cons

The only feature I feel could be improved significantly is the “email in” feature. It’s quite cumbersome the first time you email into a project and if you are like me, you have so many projects going at one time that it is not convenient to have to log in, go to the project, select email in, copy the address and then alter it depending on if it’s a file, discussion, etc.

OneDrive and Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Honestly, after utilizing the free trial of Freedcamp, there wasn’t anything that I felt like it was missing or couldn’t do. And as far as file storage, the integration with google drive made it an easy sell as google is primarily free and/or completely inexpensive.
Tom
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Extraordinary Value, Flexibility, Features, Support, UI/UX that keeps improving

Reviewed on 2020/07/30

My consulting, ops and support support teams (from 3 to 20) have been using Freedcamp since 2017. Started with the free version which was met earlier requirements and quickly upgraded to the Business Plan. The platform has consistently met/exceeded my requirements for the wide range of use cases that my company encounters as we help internal and external clients with all aspects of business and product launches, turn-arounds, and M&As. The Freedcamp leadership, dev and support teams have always been responsive, they listen closely to the users, meet promised release dates and quickly roll out fixes and improvements that match or are better than competing platforms and customer feedback/requests

Pros

Features and Functions that match or greatly improve upon other all the popular platforms I've used
Clean, customizable, well designed and easy to learn and use UI / UX
Very easy to deploy, onboard new users (internal teams, distributed workgroups, and contractors and clients)
Powerful and flexible for both experienced users & project managers (agile and waterfall) and for people with limited to no tech skills
Helpful and intuitive dashboard, reporting, tracking, drill downs, integrations with popular workgroup and collaboration platforms including Microsoft, Google, Dropbox, etc
Fast and continuous platform improvements
Cost/Benefit/Feature set offers a much better value than other platform I've used or vetted

Cons

The CRM module is functional and usable, and may meet the needs of organizations that are seeking a single platform for project management, support, and customer contact management - but it's not as mature or feature-rich as many popular stand-alone 3rd party CRMs.

Love Freedcamp

Reviewed on 2022/01/28

Pros

Really easy to use, great features, fantastic pricing, great support.

Cons

The API could be better - not always intuitive or clear.

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Cheaper; used it before; colleagues liked it; nice to support one of the smaller guys.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

A Solid Product Full of Features That needs a Restyling

Reviewed on 2020/03/26

We are very happy and using it daily but with our side projects as the User interface is very very outdated if this will be soon redesigned it will be for sure on top of most of the similar PM apps

Pros

Whitelabel portal
email notification and custom fields implementation
ability to add easily task and project

Cons

The user interface is not that easy to follow and can be highly improved
a missing detailed onboard approach which covers all the features of the software

Plutio, Stackby and Notion

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Features and Cost, we purchased on a special lifetime deal offer
John
John
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

A great balance of complexity and features but a bit of a learning curve

Reviewed on 2020/07/01

Complex academic research projects with collaboration among Canadian and Tanzanian teams.

Pros

Web-based so easy to add on team members regardless of their hardware and experience. Flexible; can assign tasks, dates, priorities, people and can create several levels of sub-tasks. I like the integration with Dropbox so that files are easily available to all partners and access does not depend on Freedcamp itself. If I ever decide to stop using Freedcamp, I won't have valuable files locked into Freedcamp that I'll have to download before quiting. The support is superb; emails are answered quickly, often within hours and questions answered accurately and concisely without the usual boilerplate text verbiage that many software companies (esp. the big ones) like to indulge in. Switching between the list and Kanban views is very nice.

Cons

With complex projects, the webpages can begin to be very cluttered. As well, the default for finished tasks in to us a strike-out font as opposed to hiding or archiving them so one may see a page where the majority of text is struck out.
reporting is rudimentary, basically a summary of tasks and a time period with little customization possible. I would like, for example, to be able to generate a report by individual team member of all of their assigned tasks and deadlines.

Alistair

An well structured time saver that helps run projects efficiently.

Reviewed on 2020/06/25

I loved the clarity of thinking that Freedcamp offers through its very clean interface. Compared to a support system I was previously using Freedcamp is a breath of fresh air and I could not imagine running projects without it now.

I would also add that the entry level version is totally free and comes with Unlimited Projects, Tasks, Storage, and Users.

Pros

Freedcamp provides a very scalable solution for anyone that needs to increase their productivity through improved project management. Initially I used Freedcamp for one client and one detailed project. Then it grew to one client with multiple in-depth projects, then it grew to multiple clients with multiple projects.

The way Freedcamp is designed it handled this growth easily, and as an end user the process was very straight forward and instinctive without the need to refer to any documentation at all.

Cons

Advanced use of Freedcamp would involve the use of widgets which are mostly available to power users. I found widget implementation to be a little confusing at first and perhaps the least developed aspect of Freedcamp. This may be down to my lack of experience in this area and I perhaps need to checkout the knowledgebase articles in this area.

Trello and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Freedcamp was more competitively priced, and came with a cleaner more productive interface that offered a much faster learning curve thanks to a very intuitive interface.
Malice

Project Management That's Not a Project to Manage

Reviewed on 2020/07/30

Pros

Freedcamp has been indispensable to our company, both in our nascent and more developed business stages. It's interface is straightforward, and its robust feature set allowed us to utilize new tools as our business grew and demanded more. Key among those was a built-in time tracker that allowed us to better and more accurately quote projects. Its free features were sufficient for our needs in the beginning, but the price point for upgrading to Business/Enterprise level was also reasonable, especially compared to similar platforms. We were also able to start using it "out of the box" rather than some other platforms we tried out, where merely setting everything up was an investment of time and resources we, as a small business, just didn't have.

Cons

The mobile app is not as robust as the browser-based application, but the company has been making improvements on that front.

Jira and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

The initial price point (free) and the ease with which we could set things up without needing to invest a ton of time and energy into getting it where it needed to be to suit our needs.
Chris
  • Industry: Accounting

Could not operate without this piece of software (now)

Reviewed on 2020/08/13

As I mentioned earlier I could not operate my business with confidence without Freedcamp. It has become a integral part of my system and processes and I would recommend people give it a go. You will just have to familiarize yourself with the way it operates and once you have mastered that, the world is your oyster!

Pros

I purchased Freedcamp for the primary purpose of task management with my team. As the manager (and owner) of my business I recognise how critical systems are to be able to deliver consistent, quality results to clients. This is where Freedcamp shines. It helps me to stay on top of the recurring tasks that would normally be a manual process. Now I have one central location where I can take a birdseye view of all the tasks within my business and the easy to chat options within the Freedcamp platform facilitates team communication (much easier than having to go in and out of different pieces of software). I most definitely could not operate without Freedcamp in my day to day.

Cons

Getting everything started was a bit of a challenge in the beginning. I didn't find the options as intuitive as I would have liked. For example, creating a repeating task that occurred every week was not as easy as I have found in other software. This prompted me to reach out to support to discover the solution. To Freedcamp's credit support was quick and helpful and once I understood how to create a repeating task - my utilization of the software grew.
The views in the dashboard can be a bit overwhelming at times - however this is customizable to your likes and dislikes.

Tracey
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

A fantastic product for freelancers -- the software equivalent of a virtual assistant

Reviewed on 2020/08/07

For a free product that I deployed with a minimal learning curve, I am blown away by the number of features offered, and the flexibility that lets me match the software to my business needs.

Pros

As a freelance editor, it's up to me to manage all aspects of my business for numerous clients. It is essential that I set deadlines and track my time per task in an orderly and centralized manner so nothing slips through the cracks. Freedcamp gives me these capabilities and more, plus peace of mind.

Cons

As a one-person business, I don't use all the bells and whistles. But the features I do deploy are user-friendly. The cons are few for me. The only quibble that might be worth mentioning relates to the time tracking feature. I can sort the time records that I create in many ways (e.g., status, alphabetical, amount of time). I like to sort by the date of the time record. But what I'd really love to do—and can't—is have a second-level sort feature so that, within a given date, I can sort the record alphabetically. It's a tiny quibble that I hesitate even to mention here.

Tommie
  • Industry: Food Production
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

unmissable tool in the chain.

Reviewed on 2020/10/20

Pros

For me the setup and getting used to it was a matter of seconds. I use other company supported systems that hold loads of info and are not easy accessible. with freedcamp I have a very clear view on the selected portion I want to manage. using it for yrs and keeps doing the job.

Cons

Allthough my experience is very good, I don't get that many colleages liking this software. the learning curve seems to be to high and usage of the tool usually drops dead in a few weeks, despite my effort of promoting and supporting it. for small project teams that only last a few weeks I don't even bring it up anymore.. although that would be the perfect situation to deply freedcamp.

Shelby
  • Industry: Design

Freedcamp is an efficient way to keep track of tasks.

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

Pros

This product was a definite improvement of my coworkers and I emailing each other back and forth. Keeping track of web design projects and all of the changes or fixes that need to be done is all in one place and can be easily navigated.

Cons

Some aspects such as web passwords on the toolbar doesn't always show the list. I'm sure this is user fault, but it personally can be confusing to add things to the right places.

Response from Freedcamp

Hi Shelby,

Thanks for your review. Please post us more about "Some aspects such as web passwords on the toolbar doesn't always show the list. " - we would love to hear details to see if we can improve.

Thanks

Uriah

I use this application to monitor my task and complete timesheets. Very useful. Very efficient.

Reviewed on 2017/07/07

This software saves me time when doing my monthly timesheets and reports. It has helped me to better organize my work life, and my home life. I am looking forward to seeing this as a phone app, so that I can have access to it quickly, and on the go. Thank you to the freedcamp team.

Pros

Each project can be divided into task groups, which allows for a better separation of goals. The tool is probably designed for groups and teams to work together. But I am still in the midst of encouraging my team to use it officially. Currently, the Tasks page works well for self management. I am able to write as many notes as I like, set due dates which will show red when I am approaching the deadline. I love organization, and this page is by far the most useful for me. As a developer at a small company, I am responsible for many different tasks concerning several different projects at any given time. All of these tasks have deadlines and sometimes highly time sensitive. Coming into the task page and seeing things labeled in red, and due dates visible makes my job a little easier to manage. Before this, I was using Google Spreadsheets with the rest of my team to track tasks and deadlines. They still use Google, but I have been using this more and more. Even for my personal task and goals outside of work.

Cons

I like the time tracker. But I feel it could be better organized. It would be useful to store a collection of time records in an archived folder somewhere. I use the time records to keep track of my time each month, in order to bill my client. But after the bill is sent out, I no longer need to see the previous months records. However I would like to access them quickly without playing with the current filter setting. It would also be nice to have a MAX TIME option for a time record. Sometimes I get distracted and forget to hit the stop button. When I return to the time record, it may have 100+ hours and counting. Then I have to guess when I actually stopped working on the task. A selected many feature would be nice as well, in order to delete multiple records at once. I love the Tasks page, but I probably spend more time in the Time tracker page.

Response from Freedcamp

Hi Uriah,

Thank you for a great review!

Later this year you will see more new cool things related to Time/Tasks/Invoices
- set estimate hours on a task
- track time on Tasks - tasks will be exposed to Time app
- time will be tracked for each manual entry or each timer run separately so we can tell how many exactly hours/min you spent this week or this month
- Invoices app will allow to bill client by completed tasks or time period you select. Billed entries will be clearly marked and easily filtered out. You will also be able to pull a combination of completed only and, for example, last month.

- if you worked on a long task and spent 40 hours (billed) last week and 25 hours (not billed) this week - time entry will be marked as partially billed.

And yes - we will definitely add an email and pop-up reminder when timer is running more than 8 hours.

As always - I am happy to chat 1:1 directly to better understand requirements.

Cheers,

• Industry: Renewables & Environment

The Right Balance Between Performance & Investment

Reviewed on 2020/06/16

I've been using lots of Project Management and Team Collaboration Apps such as Trello, Slack, Asana, Bitrix24 and more.

But when I started to use Freedcamp about a year ago, I learn that this app manages to provide the sweet balance between my learning curve in using the app effectively to go up and running, and all the necessary functionalities without putting my self too much in configuring all the features with it's bells and whistles.

Other than that, their support alone is a solid and consistent 5 star performance, very prompt and spot-on showing a high level customer and solution oriented team.

I had a few issues during the set-up but once support came in handy, the rest of the on-boarding process was really smooth.

In a way, it is a mature App, but later-on, I found out that their roadmap is growing continuously to the right direction, based on my team way of working, and also the current business needs dynamic.

More integrations are coming up as well, but for now, I'm satisfy with how the app being developed for the last 6 months or so.

Pros

This app manage to provide the sweet balance between my learning curve in using the app effectively until go up and running, and all the necessary functionalities, without putting my self too much in configuring all the features with it's bells and whistles.

The support alone is a solid and consistent 5 star performance, very prompt and spot-on showing a high level customer and solution oriented team.

Roadmap and development are heading towards my business needs which means this app is definitely a good long term investment for my team since Freedcamp has been around for quite some time now.

Cons

The on-boarding is good but the learning curve a little bit steep the first time I test it. But recently they improved the UI and it surely enhances other users in my team to have much better UX, and support is always within reach anyway.

Bill

Freedcamp Keeps Me Organized and Helps Me Get Everything Done

Reviewed on 2020/08/07

Designing and Developing websites involves hundreds of tasks that must be completed for every site. The ability to create templates for this really cuts down on my workload. Clients are sometimes resistant to using it because they're not familiar with it but it's so much better than email chains.

Pros

The ability to create templates for repetitive tasks like developing and launching websites and marketing campaigns. Being able to let clients follow progress and provide feedback while also leaving some discussions and procedures behind the scenes. Being billed based on participation so I don't have to go in and shut clients and contractors accounts on and off is a huge time saver.

Cons

I think the image/file uploading feature could be improved. It isn't organized well and will often name a pasted image the same name as a previously uploaded image. We'd like to be able to easily include video in the process. It's possible now but a dedicated training area would be nice.

Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

At the time, it was price.
Mick

It changed the way we work

Reviewed on 2016/06/15

Projects and ongoing service development was done using Word documents and Spreadsheets. these were emailed around and project documents stored in shared folders but in no real structure. Keeping track of tasks and their staus was difficult and keeping project documents up to date and tracking who changed them was very difficult.
We had a major project to implement and we looked at different project management solutions and decided on Freedcamp. Much of what you can do is in the free parts but some of the add ons make a big difference, especially sub tasks which expand your ability to allocate work within a particular task, and Wiki which allows you to hold 'live' documents, we use this for change control plus other things.
The biggest benefit I have found is it makes people work collaboratively. Using notifications you can control what people get update emails about. These give a precis of changes and keep people aware and involved and it has been a real culture change. It is much harder for people to forget about the project until the next meeting and if you do a task review based on due date it adds urgency.
You still have to drive the project but as a tool it really helps you do that.

Pros

Accessible anywhere
Intuitive to use and seems fine in all the browsers I have tried
Great for structuring the work. Really helps you do identify priorities and group tasks and documents
Milestones keep people focused and you can link tasks and sub tasks to them to get a fuller view of progress.
If you are a Google user you can synch project calendars to your Google calendar and utilise Google Drive, which gives you another option for collaborative documents

Cons

Some people mention a lack of Gant charts but I just work in a different way now. I just had to adjust to that and some colleagues find Gant charts confusing anyway.

Emily
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Meets our needs; backed by great customer service

Reviewed on 2021/06/09

This software replaced an overwhelming physical whiteboard that our very small company had always used for keeping track of clients / jobs. It has improved our efficiency and our ability to plan job timing and order, and of course has provided a much-needed client relations manager.

Pros

Integration was easy, with minimal time needed to learn functionality. We have been able to customize and develop it into precisely what our (rather unique) needs were. Customer service has always been top notch. At the very beginning, there were a couple of "quirky" things that we went to them with, and they provided prompt solutions for us to enhance the product.

Cons

We recently accidentally archived a project by a simple unintentional click... didn't even know which project we were on on the dashboard when it happened... and learned there is no way to order the archived projects in terms of date archived (which for other reasons would also be helpful for us), so were it not for the amazing customer service and their quick response and offer to help look up what had been archived that day for us from their end, we would have spent a LOT of time going through the whole list to determine what project we needed to unarchive.

• Industry: Environmental Services

A great task manager which works well for managing projects too

Reviewed on 2018/01/02

Keeps me on track and reminds me when I need to do things.

Keeps me on track and reminds me when I need to do things.

Pros

The development team is constantly improving the software and it seems to get better and better.

The interface is really nice, and it's very intuitive. You have have lists or kanban boards for tasks, and subtasks too. The projects are colour coded and it's easy to navigate them.

You can import tasks from an excel sheet which is really helpful if you have a standard list of tasks for each new project.

The free version is perfect for me since I work on my own but I can see that it would be great for teams to use as well.

Cons

At the moment you can't have recurring tasks, which is a massive negative. However, this this planned to be included in 2018 I believe.

The Android app is currently a bit basic (and not very stable on my tablet), but I believe this is also due for an upgrade in 2018 so fingers crossed it will get better.

Task reminders could be better - at the moment you can set filters to show tasks due in a certain number of days, but it's a bit clunky and it would be helpful to have start and end dates for tasks rather than just single dates.

Response from Freedcamp

Hi,

Just an update. Start date for tasks is available on Business Plan and we plan to add it to Lite plan as well in 2018. You are correct regarding recurrent tasks - planing to add in Q1 2018 to all paid plans.

New daily/weekly digest reminding on missed deadlines for both start and due dates in tasks, milestones, issues is coming early Jan,

Thanks for your review!

Tianna
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Love using Freedcamp!

Reviewed on 2020/06/26

Pros

Easy to use! I used Freedcamp to create project templates, each with their own range of task lists, tasks, and subtasks. Love that I can put individual due dates on each task and subtask of the template, and then be able to create a new project and shift all due dates relative to a chosen date. Can have all tasks show up on Google Calendar with a handy integration, and can choose what filters apply to calendars. Simply awesome to use, would absolutely recommend!

Cons

Nothing to complain about, love Freedcamp!

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Tasks with unlimited subtasks!! So good!
Alejandro

Freedcamp has done a lot for me and I feel attached.

Reviewed on 2015/09/08

For the past year I've been performing an unconventional role as area manager for two movie theatres in Silicon Valley. In March of 2013 I began overseeing both locations without a conventional general manager installed at either location. In customer service and retail industries this kind of flat "start up" organizational structure is unheard of. The "boss" was always off site and the managers were expected to function as a team without any hierarchy. I knew that a key aspect of this radical experiment in re-structuring would be to empower each of the managers to act on behalf of the company while also giving them a way to communicate upstream and downstream with little effort, so that I could "see" what was going on during each shift and the upper management and floor staff could also witness the engagement and commitment of the management team.

After test-driving a few social "project" services, I chose Freedcamp.

In addition to the cornerstone of manager logs, I use your system for staff schedules, facility maintenance task assignments, HR, special event coordination, logging vacation time, marketing/promotions, emergency forms for police and fire, reporting grosses to studios, a wishlist where all 50 employees can voice their desires for the company, and more. Every department in my company utilizes Freedcamp for something. I was unaware my HR department was using the manager logs until they demonstrated that they were using the search function to look up employees' names and track behaviour over time in advance of disciplinary action. I didn't show them how, they just took the initiative. This was the first clue I got that I wasn't "forcing" the system--that other departments were getting easy access to more information than they had before. A third satellite location in our company is overseen by a technophobe, who has recently and vigorously adapted to the Freedcamp-based maintenance system I developed without my coaching him at all, and now he posts more than anyone else. This is final proof that what I've instituted using your software is self-sustaining, creating a much-needed flow of information within a small but disjointed company that has grown in fits and spurts since 1975.

When I took on the new role a year ago, I lost six managers in one month. The strain of the "boss-less" system was too great without some additional infrastructure. Since introducing Freedcamp, my attrition rate is zero. No one wants to leave now.

Alexander

My reasons - flexibility and a low threshold of entering

Reviewed on 2015/09/20

The first thing I noticed about Freedcamp was its flexibility. Freedcamp doesn't limit the number of members in the project, or the number of projects. It has limits though by features enabled in your projects. This allows you to have a piece of mind when you create a new project. You simply know it is free for any number of participants and if you will need a paid feature ' cost is fixed and is affordable. Any extra module can be purchased separately for the project at any time. If you need Invoices for a particular project, you buy the module. If you need Issue Tracker ' also buy the required module. In this case, you only pay for the functions needed at a particular time. Project is finished and you don't need it' Simply cancel subscription.

The second important aspect of the system is a low threshold of entering. It is hard to achieve, based on my evaluations of other system, but Freedcamp truly empowers my team and customers, educate them and show how such tool saves time. It allows to be more effective, work better together and gives us a competitive advantage because our journey with the client gives them new experience they buy. We just say: 'We are going to use Freedcamp. It doesn't require any special skills or special trainings'. Also, they shouldn't check Freedcamp all the time, they receive emails with all discussions and updates in tasks by email, including art work we attached. Freedcamp's basic functionality doesn't have any features aimed to specify type of business, being, in some sense, universal. In other systems, where they create vertical market PM tool (for engineers, marketers, designers etc.) ' language, UI can mislead and turn off clients making project a failure.

Personally, I also like ability to add new version to my attachments anywhere in Freedcamp. In my job it's very important, because it allows not to litter a discussion or a task with dozens of copies of the same image by constantly posting minor changes. Instead, Freedcamp allows simply add a new version to an old attachment, while retaining the ability to see all previous changes in a well done interface.

Of course, I don't want to say it has all I want to see, but feature set and design that exists now, and my conversations with Freedcamp team, which is always available and not only listens but reacts quickly for my personal bug reports and feature requests, leads me to believe that it will evolve to be an even better tool for me and my team.