Sumo Reviews

Sumo

A free suite of tools for growing traffic on any website

4/5 (46 reviews)
Anthony E.

Sumo Review

Reviewed on 2019/10/07

Sumo has helped me double my email subscribers which helps me convert them into customers. I have been able to share my own content with my audience on all my various social platforms like facebook, twitter, etc. to make them aware of new contents. This increases the engagement of my contents hence increasing my traffic as well.

Pros

After looking for a simple tool to increase my website's traffic and collect emails for marketing I found "sumo." It is very simple to integrate into my website. The settings are so simple with many preferences of your choice.

It helped me add social share buttons to my website and helped me grow my email lists at a faster rate. The attention of any visitor is easily caught to interact more with me and my website. Sending emails to a bunch of subscribers in my chosen groups look simple when using sumo.

The pop-up subscription box and the social share buttons are not intrusive and it has an automatic welcome message for all my new subscribers which saves my time of welcoming them with messages all the time.

Cons

I haven't been able to send emails to individual subscribers. It allows me to send marketing emails to only those added to my groups and I don't know why. I therefore believe because I am using the free version that is why I have been limited to that. I would like to be a premium member soon.

Emily B.

Great, easy pop-up tool

Reviewed on 2019/03/12

We have had a great experience with SUMO. We use it on multiple sites as an email capture tool, and our email subscriptions have tripled since adding this pop-up on our site as the first thing people see when coming to the site.

Pros

Sumo was a great addition to our company website to help gather email addresses through a pop-up when someone comes to the site. The pop-ups are easy to create with either custom imagery and their wizard, or using their basic templates. There are many options for the type of pop-ups that they offer. Implementation is immediate and was something that I could do without needing an HTML programmer. The pop-ups do not interfere with any other tracking or plug-ins on our site, and I like that I can set the frequency to not overwhelm frequent visitors.

Cons

I like the reporting functions, but I would like to see more data as it relates to the success. You get the impressions and actions taken, but I would like to know how many times an individual sees the popup before finally entering their email, if more than once, as an example. Otherwise, I'm very happy with this tool.

Jake the film G.

I use Sumo's free suite of tools on my Squarespace site, and I have been 'em for nearly three years.

Reviewed on 2018/06/03

A pain-free way to collect emails that go above and beyond what Squarespace and/or Mailchimp can offer to a startup/small business? Sumo has your back, hands down.

Pros

I love the (even at the freemium level) assorted tools they have for capturing emails. With a little bit of coding, you can customize your lead magnets, both in terms of appearance and delivery.

Cons

My only complaint with their suite of tools are their sharing tools, and this is nitpicky. I already have built-in share buttons on my CMS that look great on mobile and on a desktop. The Sumo tool was a real bother when I was using it (2015-2017). It even caused one of my followers to email and let me know it was a nuisance with this lagging (yet persistent in its following) behavior.

Response from Sumo group

Thanks for your review! We're constantly working on improvements and appreciate your feedback. If you ever would like to test out new features, here is a link to our Ecommerce plan free trial: http://bit.ly/2LBfk1T
Good luck with your business!

Sachin E.

Stop Leaving Money On The Table!

Reviewed on 2019/01/03

Sumo which when I first started using was referred to as SumoMe has proven to be a worthy addition to my website arsenal and a valuable tool to recommend throughout my digital marketing consultancy. This set of tools has boost some of my clients email acquisition strategies as a number of clients where established brick and mortar stores but online virgins. SumoMe interface was really intuitive and presented very little headaches for my clients to wrap their heads around with a number of them collecting list of 1,000+ plus emails after previously struggling to even get 50 emails in the beginning.
These tools definitely adds value to any arsenal !

Pros

Grow your email list seamlessly
Address cart abandonment concerns
Ability to collect email address from user on exit
Discount Codes (ecommerce plan offers unique codes)
Autoresponder
And more

Cons

Free version advertises on your website
Plans can be costly if site offers little ROI

Douglas C.

Enhance Your Website Visitor's Experience While Also Gaining Greater Insight

Reviewed on 2019/09/07

Setting up Sumo on each of my websites was very intuitive and easy to accomplish. There are features that allow you to personalize the look and the experience visitors to the site will each have. Once set up it then runs on autopilot to track some helpful metrics on those visitors and what they do while on each site. Sumo enhances the look and functionality of the site on which it is installed while providing helpful functions that improve each visitors experience.

Pros

I like best the ease of use in setting up this program to provide my website visitor's with a better on-site experience while also providing me with detailed metrics on those visitors.

Cons

I've been using Sumo on two websites for more than a few years and have not found anything about that I do not like.

Shashu A.

Great Plugin For My website

Reviewed on 2019/01/05

Pros

I am actively using SUMO on my website now. It's a great tool for my site. I've recommended it to many of my business connects. I use it for signups and newsletter listserves. I like that you can group signups by the promos you're running. The interface is easy to understand, it actually "guides" you through the creating process. It asks your desired outcome and where you'd like the signup box to appear, when, and what it will look like. You can turn on and off the sign-ups at any time. You can also send tests to see what it looks like when someone does sign up. You can check your website analytics with Sumo which is a great perk!

Cons

I hate that many times you have to re-login to sumo when it's connected through your website. Like I have Sumo linked as a plugin and I always have to re-login and I wish it would stay logged in. Also, when you are checking the analytics, I feel it could be more in-depth.
I wish that I could use more than one signup at a time. The unpaid version, of course, is limited. If you don't have design skills, you cannot make a "pretty" "pop-up" box with ease. But, if you're tech/design savvy, you should be okay.

Colleen W.

I really like sumo. I use a lot of its features on my blog. It helped a lot.

Reviewed on 2018/06/06

It helped incorporate features on my blog with ease that I wouldn't of been able to do otherwise.

Pros

I love that a lot of its features are easy to use. They come with very easy to use directions. It has a lot of features that costs money on other programs.

Cons

I use the free version, and I wish it had more choices for that. I also wish it had better choices for email. I have to use another program for that.

Response from Sumo group

Hello, Colleen! Thanks for the warms words. I noticed that you are using our free version and would love to see more features and options under this version. We currently offer free 14 day trial of our Ecommerce plan. Check it out and see if it has what you are looking for: http://bit.ly/2LBfk1T

Magnus O.

Recommended for Leads Collection

Reviewed on 2019/02/02

I also connected it to Google analytics to show overall page views and organic searches.

Pros

I use Sumo on both bookclubs.com.ng and a client's website I had set up on WordPress a few years ago. If you plan to collect emails on your website with pop-ups and other campaigns then I recommend it.
My dashboard also shows me comprehensive statistics such as Top 5 visited pages, conversions rates and all my subscribers.
They also make it easy for you to export subscribers

Cons

This feels really small to add to a review but logging out of Sumo completely will take an average techie awhile. I was looking for the log out button the first time I used it. It was so frustrating. I ended up going on their faq page on their website to find it. 'Click the "X" icon on the Sumo control panel (blue tab) while holding down the shift key to completely log out'. Why does it have to be so difficult?

Experience with Sumo

Reviewed on 2018/09/11

Great product. Have set it up for a handful of clients to build out their email lists.

Pros

Sumo gives users the ability to do one of the most important things an online business needs to do: collect emails to grow their list. They do so with great pop-ups, welcome mat, and smart bars.

Cons

Some of the functionality is a bit clunky. They seem to go wide vs narrow, i.e. trying to do everything instead of becoming the best at a few things.

Response from Sumo group

We're happy to have you as our customer. Thanks for the review!

Lee M.

The Easiest Way To again Customers

Reviewed on 2018/11/16

Superb customer service.

Pros

Easy to use once fully set up. Very important to me is the ability to A/B test promotions and change pop ups, banners and welcome mats according to my current promotions.

Cons

Very little. I have a Pro Account but would like access to a few more “add-one” namely Short Cuts and Cart Casino. These are minor negatives and they would be available if I upgraded my account.

Tal L.

They have some bugs but i tried the free version and they keep getting better and add capabilities

Reviewed on 2018/09/17

Good. Gave me what I needed, free

Pros

Easy to use, great guides, helps achieve many marketing goals, combines analytics ontop of your website, great features

Cons

I encountered several bugs that didn't make me purchase but I'm pretty sure the paid version works great. They are a very good company, brand

Response from Sumo group

Thanks for your review, Tal! We are always improving our plans and hope you can feel more confident in using them :)

Good looking forms, but the asynchronous loading doesn't help the business

Reviewed on 2018/05/23

Pros

Note that I've only used the SumoMe forms. Ignore this review if you're using their other tools.
The forms look good and you have the option to customize them in more-than-you-have-time ways.

Cons

The SumoMe forms aren't a bad tool, just that... You're at a conference and you have a single page with a SumoMe opt-in form for people interested in your product + some bad internet that you can't control.
The page you worked on only loads the rest of the content and people scroll past the form (the form that doesn't load, because it's made to load asynchronously and it prioritizes the rest of the content before the form).
So basically people just leave because they didn't see the form.

Now imagine the same thing, online, and all the users and their internet speed that you cannot control.

That was the end of our story with SumoMe. And it had the potential to be a good story.

7.0/10

An ideal way to start building a list

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/04/24

Great starter product, ironically with the type of offers provided by appsumo you'll probably end up ditching this for something else in the long run

Pros

Sumo allows you to quickly and easily grow a list using intuitive opt in forms

You can build a large list of subscribers and then email them all within the free plan, which is great for starting out

Cons

Once you outgrow the free plan it starts getting expensive

It improved over the time frame in which I was using it, but it did seem a bit sluggish

Mateusz P.

Great way to engage website's users

Reviewed on 2018/07/11

Pros

Free to use, easy to set well-designed, discrete pop-ups, sharing features engaging content shares on social

Cons

The settings interface could be quicker, sometimes it's difficult to handle settings, e.g. if you have a live chat installed at your website.

Daniel E.

Easy Email Collection

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

It’s a great experience with this software. It has boosted my email acquisitions strategies. It’s user friendly interface has given few, but little headache.

Pros

It has a pop-up feature that collects email from visitors.
Easy to create pop-ups with images and wizards.
It has the ability off setting frequency not to overwhelm visitors.

Cons

Adverts are placed on your site when using free version.
It comes with costly plans when small amount is offered on ROI.

Melissa B.

Sumo makes getting new readers easy

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

Pros

I have used Sumo on my site for 2+ years. It has allowed me to capture new followers that I would not otherwise have added to my mailing list. I love the design of the pop ups.

Cons

There isn't anything that I would change about Sumo

Great tools + great content

Reviewed on 2018/11/08

Get more optins. It helps with this.

Pros

Easy to set up. High converting templates. Lots of different tools included.

Cons

On a previous site the code made the site slow but I think they have improved this now. Also Initially the export feature was not free but I understand the thinking behund htis.

Response from Sumo group

Thanks a bunch! We're working on additional features that would be available to our new and existing customers very soon. Stay tuned. Great updates are on the way ;)

Good Concept, Terrible Execution

Reviewed on 2018/07/02

Pros

I like to concept of the product and the abilities it has to incorporate popups to your website without adding more than a script to your site.

Cons

Everything else. Their help service is the worst and they often treat you as an idiot. Even with photos and indepth information about issues, they still are unable to understand the problem. We went round and round with them for 4 months about an issue to later find that it was a bug on there end. Using the product is hard and the data you're provide on your popups is limited.

Response from Sumo group

Hello! Thank you for your review and I am sorry you've experienced issues with the software. We've made lots of updates to our service and hope you can reconsider using Sumo for you business. I highly recommend trying out our new Shortcuts feature :) Here is a link to free trial for you: http://bit.ly/2LBfk1T

0.0/10
Crystal I.

Many Tools in One Tool

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2017/09/12

Pros

There's a lot going on with Sumo. Sumo comes with many features that help improve your website: a welcome mat, floating share buttons, heat maps, content analysis, etc. I originally wanted Sumo for the floating share buttons, but then realized it could do a lot more.

Cons

Had quite a few issues with the floating share buttons conflicting with our website theme, BUT, Sumo has great customer support, so they overcame that con and turned it into a pro.

Joanne W.

A plugin for my Wordpress website.

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/04/11

I've been generally happy with the product. It can help grow your email list and to generate more sales.

Pros

Sumo has been a tool I've used to help grow my email list and to generate more sales.

Cons

There is a free version and a paid version, the free version not syncing the emails into certain email newsletter software platforms. That can be annoying when wanting to trial the product before buying it.

6.0/10
Sean F.

Good Straight Forward Way To Build Your Subscribers

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Pros

Great plugin for wordpress sites, helps to let your readers quickly share your articles & content to the rest of their network and the while. Perhaps the easiest tool to use to help get more subscribers - very user friendly sharing bar too.

Cons

While Sumo is great, it is not fully compatible with quite a few website platforms and builders that include Wix.

Andrey R.

A wonderful tool for lead growth

Reviewed on 2018/11/29

Sumo helped me to learno more about the behavior of the visitors.

Pros

My experience with Sumo is when I implemented it to a Wordpress site. The implemantation was very easy and all tools wored quick.

Cons

I don't have any complaints with Sumo but if yo want to keep yor site from any form of distractions, then better not use that tool.

Response from Sumo group

Thanks for your review, Andrey!

Amon S.

Lead Capture tool

Reviewed on 2018/10/29

Pros

This simple tool took me about 10 minutes to setup and has won me over 300 email subscribers on my website! I like the ease of setup.

Cons

When wanting to view subscribers it seems to be 3 clicks to many to get where I want to go. I wish their was a more direct root.

Response from Sumo group

Hey, Amon! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! <3

bad product with a nice pack

Reviewed on 2018/04/11

Pros

They know how to market themselves.
They know how to convert users to pay.
They are a profitable company.

Cons

UNUSABLE product. we only wanted to use ONE popup and couldnt
Horrible customer support with limited knowledge about their own product.
The popups simply work only 30% of the times.
Our website loading time sky high with Sumo script.
Sumo added popup in the footer without letting us know (ON A PAID SUBSCRIPTION!)
We lost days to enable the implementation, and yet, the product isnt function.
Bad user experience.
Not enough documentation.
Product simply wont work.

0.0/10
Tal L.

It's a great tool but i encountered many bugs

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/03/28

Could have been great unless these bugs that didn't allow me to enter the sumo site and work with the tool

Pros

The tool is very smart and useful, very easy to work with, great functionality. I worked for a cybersecurity company so it might just be that the bugs occurred because of the heavy protection on the website.

Cons

only the bugs that disturbed me. I can't remember something I wanted to do and couldn't. The autoresponder email is sent with your own email marketing automation platform. It didn't include my platform but it did include Zapier.

6.0/10