Microsoft Azure

Desktop virtualization platform to enable remote access

Esra K.

Azure has a long way to go

Reviewed on 2019/04/17

Azure is developing itself continuously and I believe it will be better in the future.

Pros

I gave 5 stars to its features and functionality because Azure really tries hard to stay competitive in the market and it has most of the features that a cloud provider should offer. We use Azure to provide our services to our customers that work with Microsoft.

What I like the most about Azure is its AI tools. Azure is really successful when it comes to machine learning.

Cons

I will be a little bit cruel about Customer Support and Ease of Use.

We work with Azure as CSP partners. One day we had a problem with one of our servers and I couldn't even reach to support team to get help. Later I learned that since we are CSP partners we cannot directly get in touch with Azure team. Instead we should contact our local dealer to get support. It is tiring to involve bureaucracy to IT when all I wanted was to mount a disk to another server.

Be very careful when you test the servers. You will be charged for a full hour even if you keep the server alive for 5 minutes.

If you do not want to delete a resource accidentally you must lock it. I learned this lock feature from our local distributor but Azure should force you to take such cautions by putting the option directly to the interface. Maybe a little checkbox saying "Do you want to lock your resource?" would be nice.

The interface should be more user friendly. It is really complicated for the beginners. The partial windows that open in each step is confusing. It will be easier without the split structure.

Rodrigo T.

Great tools, stable server

Reviewed on 2021/02/16

I have been using it for several years, in our company we have several customer projects on Azure, especially in ASP.NET. There is a certain latency that is a little too great between the data server and the application server, when it uses a SQL Server base (much higher than in your traditional hosting provider). We miss a simple button to install Lets Encrypt on websites, everything is manual. For backup we use competitor G which is much cheaper. Our customers really like application stability and response time.

Pros

The best thing about Azure is flexibility, you can put a lot of projects there, in different languages and technologies. If you use .NET it becomes even easier, as it has several integrations in native components, including the development IDE.

Cons

Mainly the price. In Brazil, being charged on a dollar basis is very expensive, it is difficult to pass this on to the customer. The recent 21% readjustment was abusive. It also fails to deliver simple ways to perform trivial tasks: you suffer if you want to create a simple backup of your website or database. Leaving the trivial, the technical bureaucracy is enormous.

Gabriel M.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Excellent Cloud Plataform for Visual Studio users

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

I think is a great product, all is available in one place. It is integrated with external basic tools like emails and many of them are free with some limits. Deploy a new version of a service in a new environment is really quick. Azure is really competitive in terms of cost in windows or other plataforms. In my case which I mainly work with MS Visual Studio I would recommed it over the others.

Pros

As a Visual Studio developer it easy to create a service or project from visual studio and deploy to azure.
It offers a free tier to test the best option to implement a service or application.
We have access to detailed management cost analysis tool that includes budget alerts as a way to monitor the cost of the services.
For a beginner I think that is easier to use than AWS or Google. Experts can customize all features of each service and follow service recommendations.
Azure has an exceptional service called Application Insights which brings all information about performance, errors and use.
Related services are fully integrated and ready to use as soon is deployed. i.e. A SQL Azure database from a web application.
High availability, we have never had an issue related to the service.

Cons

Azure requires at least a basic management for each service. For basic users that are starting to use it there could be an even simple service configuration and options available UI. Something like Basic or Experts configuration. Because of the huge list of available settings and options sometimes it is hard to find what the user wants. Basic and free tiers could have some limitations with the access to some specific functionalities like for instance GDI to create reports.

Nasrullah N.
  • Industry: Insurance

Ease of Access and better Service

Reviewed on 2020/06/07

So far its very ease of use with detailed azure dashboard, subscribing for services and monitoring the services are detailed with better statistic reports

Pros

Azure database which helps us store data on cloud, using visual studio is the best way to connect to the azure database.

Cons

Cost is little higher when comparing the pricing with Azure and other services for startup companies.

Prince K.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

The New Way to Develop, Deploy, and Maintain

Reviewed on 2021/01/19

I honestly really like it. In the beginning (as with anyone) I found myself constantly wanting to go back to Pivotal or VM Ware's suite of tools and software but after learning what Azure can do and getting comfortable with it, its not so bad. Learning shortcuts and tricks makes a big difference in speeding up your tasks so I highly recommend learning how the folks at Microsoft utilize Azure as they know all the tips and tricks. Other than that, its sturdy, reliable, and its reaching its "One-stop shop" capabilities as I learn more and continue using it.

Pros

Microsoft went all out to develop the one-stop shop for enterprise development. Azure has everything you need to succeed when it comes to development, deploying, staging, maintaining, and monitoring. Microsoft has gone the extra mile to make sure all steps have their own respective software or portal to ensure maximum fluid integration. When it all works, it works very very well. You won't be needing to go out and find additional software to what they're offering because they have thought everything through. On the other end however, sometimes we have our own preferences so Microsoft has made sure that Azure is adaptable to 3rd party applications, software, plugins, pretty much the whole nine-yards. They even play nice with some of the competing software they created this whole suite for. In essence, Microsoft is making sure this is the software for anyone's use. Of course the same is supported with countless and invaluable tutorials, courses, and forums to ensure your success using Azure.

Cons

When something did break, Microsoft's support is slow at best. No matter what the urgency, it always took an extra push or kick to really get Microsoft's attention. Regardless of the severity of any issue found, I believe that Microsoft should really look into understanding their client's impact and not just determine severity based on their outlook (no pun intended). Azure overall is great and this is really the only significant issue I have found. Also, the Azure suite is nothing you can learn over night but given the amount of features and capabilities, it may take some time to learn it all. I will say that it is similar to other tools and software used in the same field so it makes it easier but if you want to use its true potential, it will still take time to learn.

Ashish T.

Can't imagine to run our Business without Azure

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

It's a wonderful experience using Azure. Being an startup we're able to host and manage a complex Enterprise Level business solution without any server administrator.
We would not have been able to manage our product without Azure.

Pros

1. Intuitive and Fast Interface.
2. Everything possible with Azure.
3. Most Reasonable platform.
4. Multiple Technology Stack makes the life easy.
5. Ultimate Performance
6. Great analytics from usage to pricing level.

Cons

Microsoft keep on engineering and inventing the platform periodically. Whatever we think is missing is present in the immediate releases.

Manny P.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Amazing Cloud Service

Reviewed on 2018/11/15

Azure is amazing. We were planning to migrate to them, but it was too costly. Every year we do the numbers and see if it's cost effective, so far not yet, but in time it will be and this is where my cloud service will go.
For now, I will just keep the service at a minimum until we are ready for the transition.

Pros

I am excited on how great Azure is becoming and cannot wait to see more. Love your network migrator software and cannot wait to see more from you guys in the future.

Cons

Your pricing is rediculous, I don't understand why their pricing is so out of this world, which I know in time pricing will go down, but for small businesses it's just not yet worth it.

Your company has already the dominant market in OS, why not make Azure special and reduce pricing and storage and swallow up the world as we know it so that Microsoft will be live forever.

I understand that you are in a new market and are catching up to AWS, but your never going to beat them unless you strategize your game plan and give user's packages that make sense and are cost effective. The cloud is coming, it's all on who does it first and how they do it.

Alex A.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Azure is the place for developers to create customer-centric solutions

Reviewed on 2020/06/11

Having used Azure for over a decade, I see the way Microsoft is positioning this in the market and I like it. Teaching and dveloping are two of my passions and everything you normally would have to have a datacenter or server farm for, can now be setup and run in a matter of minutes.

Pros

For developers it is a great solution, so much is possible with 100+ features for every client migration or new project. I am teaching others how to use Azure and they are constantly amazed at the vast amount of features and services available, and most are free to try as well.

Cons

You can only use a trial for 30 days which should be enough for most, but it would be nice to extend so there is much more to explore. Other things are not free, so you do have to pay for what you want to use. The best parts are very expensive so you are only able to test these if your company pays for these features.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Expensive but great cloud providing platform by Microsoft for development

Reviewed on 2019/04/13

Extremely great solution for cloud services but not a value for money. Really expensive, but if you have those extra spare bucks, it's really worth exploring!

Pros

A simple and great platform that provides top notch features and functionalities by Microsoft for development, testing and project management purposes.
Built by Microsoft, automatically gives me complete trust on having our personal data shared on cloud and managing data for corporate internally or across teams.
It is highly reliable, secure and scalable.
It is ranked among the top 5 cloud services provided by the top company Microsoft.
I would also love to appreciate the fact that my initial career started by using Azure services, creating resources, APIs, processing data over cloud using CosmosDB and much more, so I really appreciate the services provided.

Cons

Extremely expensive for every service and resource provided by Microsoft Azure.
Strong competitor to GCP (Google Cloud Platform), Alibaba Cloud and AWS (Amazon Web Services) but not a real value for money when it comes to pricing of resources.

Jose B.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

We use this service to handle critical applications in our company.

Reviewed on 2017/11/23

I have an application that is always available. The services respond very fast.

Pros

I like its stability. In the years that we have been using we have not seen a flaw in our application because the service has stopped. This service offers a good amount of environments and the apps are compatible with Windows and work quite well. I like reports of application failures, because they come very close to the moment they occur. I like the services offered in AD.

Cons

I think it's expensive. I notice that the services in other platforms that are not microsoft, are limited. I do not like that the service logs do not report in detail what happens when something fails, they are not integrated with the applications. Online help services are slow. When you select a service the details of them are not very clear, for example they are very basic and let the user suppose some things that should be explicitly explained.

Been a user for 5+ years

Reviewed on 2018/08/20

As a development software company, I just can't imagine ourselves w/o Azure. They provide all the tools I need with an amazing quick access. The price is scalable so our costs are always under control.

Pros

The old interface was the main reason as to why I started on Azure rather an AWS. I always though the Amazon interface was too complicated for such a simple task. Azure made it look so much simpler. The newer UI was buggy and slow but they've managed to fix it and it now provides the right information in the right amount of clicks. I was also called by 'Customer success' team and they gave me useful information on features I was not using yet. All in all a great product. Cant go wrong choosing Azure.

Cons

At the beginning I really disliked the new UI. Its been a year (maybe more) since that happened so I kinda got used to it but still, not the best in the market. It could be improved by a huge margin.

Overall the best cloud platform

Reviewed on 2018/08/29

Pros

Azure is comprehensive and holistic - you don't have to micromanage resources like you do in Google, Amazon, IBM or Heroku.
The web interface is a strength to me where others have complained that it is difficult, I find it fairly easy to learn and understand. By comparison - Amazon's console is pretty hard to navigate through and multi-task.
APIs and tools are robust and comprehensive. Literally anything can be scripted or automated without needing to do a lot of setup on your local machine.
Azure is the most cross-platform compatible and inclusive of any cloud provider - what I mean by that is that you can provision manage and automate just about any technology platform in Azure *from* any platform.

Cons

As others have noted, the billing can be difficult to measure and predict. You just kind of have to try it and see.

Elshan H.
  • Industry: Information Services

Azure cloud platform

Reviewed on 2020/01/02

As I am working as a business analyst I am using this platform for many purposes, the important one is I am using this tool for keeping the data that we have, and also it provides a product for doing data analytics and with the help of that one I am making decisions for the company.

Pros

Azure platform is very great product, since it provides all the needed services for the company. For the customers there are a lot of choices and also the cool thing is that the customers only pay as much as they use, no extra charges. The platform is also great for providing secure and reliable data source for the company which is very important for us.

Cons

The only problem that I am facing with this platform is that it seems very complex from the first glance. The reason is that there are a lot of services and products and all of them are collected in one place and the user do not know how to start, therefore in the first times it is very time-taking to find and manage the things.

Aaron G.
  • Industry: Accounting

Rock solid and reliable

Reviewed on 2019/07/07

Pros

We are using Azure blob storage for our document imaging system, roughly 20TB and hundreds of millions of documents. It has performed absolutely great in this role, very reliable & fast. It's actually saving us money storing seldomly accessed data like this in the cloud versus our own SAN, so we can save the SAN space for our high-performance needs on-site.

Cons

The billing is really, really confusing. Each month are multiple charges for bandwidth, CPU time, IOPS, data transfer, etc. and it can be very difficult to figure out exactly where the bulk of your costs are coming from. Azure is improving the reporting & research tools for this, but right now it's not the best.

Mo K.

Ever Growing Product

Reviewed on 2020/12/01

Microsoft Azure is at the forefront of technology. The features and range set are constantly updating, so at times it can be difficult to stay up to date, but the same goes for most cloud software.

There is serious money to be saved for organisations if deployed correctly.

Pros

- The size of Microsoft is rapidly growing and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.
- The ease of deployment, gone are the days of setting up physical servers for a week.
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity features are fully loaded.

Cons

- You must perform a deep cost benefit analysis to justify the product.
- As the product range is moving at pace, sometimes even Microsoft support find it difficult to stay up to date.

Arnaldo C.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

The Top Cloud Solution/Provider

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

I'm part of an Cloud Migration program. We use Azure and I most say that all the resources work perfectly. And it's very positive for the developers working for a technology that is leading the Cloud industry. You never stuck searching for how to do something and that's a lot.

Pros

You have plenty of documentations in every place, so if you need to know ho to do something, is there. Everyone is usen it, so if you need to know how to do something, someone already ask for it. This is Microsoft, they are the leaders in the developer world. They know what you need even if you don't thing that you needed it. You have resources for everything, stables, full of features and already used for big/small companys.

Cons

It's very expensive. For small teams I don't think is the way to go. You have competitors that think more in smaller teams.

Azure reviewing

Reviewed on 2018/10/18

This tool helps to create delete and modify VM. Any issues found are diagnosed easily using the Azure portal and this can be said as best in market to compete with other cloud computing platforms.

Pros

*Based on cloud computing and hence easier and faster to achieve our work in this tool
*Best features integrated to implement any kind of virtual machine, websites or apps
*Good offers available to new users for learning
*Tremendous features integrated to create customised apps, sites , VMs and easily to use
*Everything is built in few minutes​
*Great customer support available to help resolve our issues in lesser time
*Cost effective software
*Very good competition from microsoft to other available cloud computing softwares

Cons

*Sometimes the portal becomes slow in response
*Need more features than existing to make it more useful

• Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Beat cloud solution for the ones working with Microsoft technologies

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

It a great cloud solution to developers like me which use Visual studio as their main weapon/tool. It quite familiar for the devs whi already using sms technologies. Overall secure, reliable and fast. One can go for it.

Pros

1- Azure is pretty fast. Deployment of code is way fast then IIS .
2-you will find a familiar environment if you already use Microsoft technologies.
3-It's very easy to manage all my resources on the azure portal.

Cons

1-VM failure is on e of the frustrating issue I face many times.
2-Documentation can be better. It takes some time to a newbie to get used to microsoft docs.
3- As far as I know, offline access is not possible with ms Azure

Taylor B.

Our company went full remote and full cloud with Azure and haven't looked back

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

We are fully cloud now, no more physical servers and we all work remotely. I am a Software Developer by profession, not an Azure admin, yet I was able to get us up and running and have assumed the role of Azure admin. There were lots of resources online to help me. Deploying our applications using Azure App Services has helped us share demo projects with clients. There is so much more we plan to do going forward, and it's all point and click to set this stuff up, our "virtual data center" right at our fingertips.

Pros

How easy it was to setup the Virtual Machines and environments we needed and move all of our existing databases over to the Azure cloud.

Cons

The billing is a little hard to understand, even using the billing calculator we weren't fully sure what the cost was going to be at the end of our first month, but it was pretty close, just took us a while to figure it out.

Many options, but needs time to dig into it

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

It helps me do my work and it is pretty stable. I'm using it and I will continue to do so.

Pros

I like Azure because it removes the need to buy, upgrade and maintain your local IT infrastructure - and it also has some great services which you would probably never deploy on your local servers. Ability to quickly scale up or down is a great plus .

Cons

It takes a lot of time to learn how to use Azure, and it takes even more time to figure out their pricing. Also, their support isn't so good, lots of time you will receive a generic answer for your question and you won't receive any tips on how to solve your problem unless you ask a specific question.

Made creating our new webs apps much easier

Reviewed on 2017/12/05

Pros

Our new apps use Azure for SQL server, web hosting, and storage. We have been able to scale quickly from a single customer site up to 15 with no changes to our code other than the routine fixes, the azure infrastructure meant we were able to focus on the customer facing interactions rather than the backend.

Cons

We were involved with a recent outage, which was a little scary. Ultimately we've found that large scale outages are very rare, and very quickly resolved - with good RCA and status reports. For our type projects, Azure infrastructure has made us more dependable than our previous local hosted iterations

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

The perfect platform for developing machine learning models

Reviewed on 2019/03/25

I have used this solution for all my assignments at the course I did in the past and I think this is one of the best solutions in the market. I recommend this solution for anyone who is in the IT field and hoping to continue their career in that area.

Pros

I struggled a lot when I was doing a machine learning course but then I used this solution and everything seemed pretty simple. Most of the functions are in-built and very easy to understand. Even the interfaces are user-friendly.

Cons

I personally feel like Azure can reduce their price a little bit so every student, small scale organization can purchase it and use for their tasks.

Dan D.
  • Industry: Accounting

Azure - Great Cloud Environment

Reviewed on 2018/09/19

The platform is amazing. If Microsoft can build out support to equal the product no-one can touch Azure.

Pros

Azure is extremely feature rich. If you are a Microsoft shop you should be looking at this for sure: especially if you are a SaaS provider. Moving your application to run in Azure is worth the effort. You can leverage lots of technologies to allow you to auto scale, to control cost, to provide HA, and other items.

Cons

Microsoft support can be challenging to deal with. They drop the ball far too often and too many of them don't know their stuff.

• Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

A lot of thought put into user experience...

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

Pros

I really love how shallow the learning curve is when getting started with Azure for the first time. Most functionality for 90% of business use cases can be accessed via the Azure portal, and more functionality keeps getting added every month. The way the portal workflows make sense and is a lot more intuitive than the same workflow in AWS.

Cons

There are very few things to dislike about Azure. If I had to say anything, it would be that some of the more "power user" configuration options are only available via Powershell.

Azure feedback

Reviewed on 2019/09/22

Started using Azure 4 years ago and still use it. Transparent and dynamic pricing is also good features of Azure.

Pros

Our company uses Azure for almost all internal cloud solution, mostly used services are App Services, CDN, SQL Server, SSAS. Customer support is great - usually issues are resolved within one business days, however sometimes it can take several rounds of discussions.

Cons

Not all methods are accessible using API, so sometimes need to wait until SDK for specific programming language is released.