PlanGrid Reviews

PlanGrid

Construction software made for the field

4.6/5 (553 reviews)
Robert M.

Plan Grid Review

Reviewed on 2016/12/05

Plan grid has been useful for our team to be one step ahead of the game in document control. I am currently working on a larger project with multiple files, especially ASIs. As a result, the overlay capabilities makes it easier to keep up with drawings that have been superseded and have the most current jobs in the field.

I like the ability to tag drawings by discipline and in my case phases. The ability to hyperlink drawings to compile an as-built set or update current drawings with referenced RFIs, ASIs or SK drawings is extremely useful.

I wish that plan grid would allow users that admins share files (i.e. subcontractors) have the ability not to pay. I think the GC should be responsible for payment , management, and distribution of files. Plan grid should sell perhaps licenses to the GC company and not charge individual subs a monthly fee just to review drawings. As a result, after the trial period ended none of the subs for my job signed up to use Plan Grid. Consequently, I've been using Bluebeam Revu Studio which has similar capabilities and users download a free software through Bluebeam that allows access to all the project folder and files. What Plan Grid has over Bluebeam currently is the OCR to recognize sheet names through the plan index and this is a standard feature; however, in order for Bluebeam to mimic Plan Grids basic principle, it seems like an added cost. Overall I like the software for in-house management but as far as the sharing it with the subs and getting them to use it for a project entirety it has been a struggle. Therefore I think they should either consider lowering the rates for additional users.

Pros

Intuitive and ergonomic functionality. It keeps files up to date and automatically supersedes old files.

Cons

The cost to share with other team members. If I have a project that has multiple subs that have a Project Manager, Asst Project Manager, Field Superintendent and Foreman who need to have the most updated drawings and each has to pay the fee then it gets pricey on their end. So I think Plan Grid should sell package/licenses s to subcontractor teams so they can distribute to their team in-house which you screen through their email address.

Randy G.

PlanGrid Review

Reviewed on 2016/01/08

My company has been using PlanGrid for 3+ years. Our senior managers and field supervisors all use the program on company provided iPads. Since incorporating the use of PlanGrid into our daily operations, we no longer use paper hard copies of plans (we only provide those now for plan check, etc.) so blueprinting costs have reduced to near $0- and more than covers the cost of the PlanGrid subscription.

As the tech application guru for our company, I'm constantly looking at and am reviewing new or improving programs that are coming to or are already in the market. There are other companies now with similar applications, but I don't find any of them to be near as good as PlanGrid. The scaled dimension and quantities takeoff features that PlanGrid has especially cannot be beat by any of their competitors; these are features that most others don't have, but has proven to be very valuable in our daily use.

The great thing about PlanGrid that I learned as a fairly early user is that the founders weren't simply really good software programmers/engineers, but that they also had a really in depth knowledge of the construction industry. In my estimation PlanGrid really nailed it as to what the construction industry needs for portable electronic plans, and has demonstrated its commitment to continuously improve the product.

Pros

Rendering of plans is fast
Ability to zoom in on plans and details (easier to see than on paper copy)
Scaled dimension and take off feature
Attach job photos to pinpoint locations on plans
Punch list
Ability to attach job documents (doesn't count towards plan sheets limit...nice!)
Very rarely have there been problems with the account or website functions; we've only needed instruction support
Customer support is very quick and effective!

Cons

Labeling plan sheets at initial load is a bit cumbersome as you have to fully open the sheet to see the designers description (a magnifier bubble on the thumbnail view would be really helpful)
Hard to keep up with the new features being added (just kidding...it's a nice problem to have!)
No customer support after hours (that's the time of day senior managers need help)
Hard to get subcontractors to use it; maybe a slimmed down version with less features and less cost that can work on the cheaper Android tablets would be a solution, or a discount if hooking up with developer's or GC's job only

Theron A.

Plan Grid for the Field

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/01/18

Been using it for a while and really like it. We use HCSS Heavy Job, and also HCSS Safety, and the showed us their HCSS Plans, and we told them from the start that we use Plan Grid, and to try and sell us on their Plans APP. They could not sell us on the APP. They at the time only had one thing they can do better and that was area volume measurements, on radius. It gave you more links you can click on to accurately move the radius around. That was about it, other than that it did all the basics of Plan Grid, but i think Plan grid still has other option for Managers like creating RFI's and stuff, but we don't really use those functions.

Pros

I like the fact that you can scale the drawings in the field after the job is downloaded, even if you are off line. you can then use it to do your own on the fly take offs, to see if there is a bust anywhere in the estimate. I also like the collaboration that you can do. If you find an issue on the job, you can take a picture of the issue and attach it to the related plan sheet, and describe what is wrong and send, then others can see the issue, and work on getting it corrected. Also i like that you can create links on plan sheets, going from one to the other. You can see on one sheet it calls for a certain detail and you can tie that sheet to a different sheet with the detail. I also make a link on the detail sheet that will take you back to the original sheet for easy access back. Just the way i do it on my own sheets.

Cons

I think the ruler should be a little more detailed, basically so you can zoom in a little more and have finer adjustments. Also need to be able to scale down the ruler size as when you are measuring small measurements like under 1' you cant really see the measurement after you make it, and it is hard to get it lined up with what you are trying to measure. Also if you create link from one sheet to another, it would be nice to have the option to automatically have the sheet link you back to the original, so you can go back and forth between the plan set and detail section. Just my thoughts.

Time Saving & Easy to Use

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Overall, our experience with PlanGrid has been positive and we have more users on the tool than we originally anticipated because of the value it brings. The support and partnership both from our account reps and customer service is great - getting answers to our questions quickly. We also appreciate that they are open to product recommendations and ask us to participate in testing of the new functionality.

Pros

PlanGrid is simple and easy to use. Even our non-tech savvy people have easily transitioned to using the tool. The ability to pull up drawings and mark them up in the field saves our team time, and being able to submit field reports has increased report submission and speed (everything from dailies, safety reports, to cut sheets and more). The field report functionality was a game changer for us and adoption of the tool. Our field team likes that they can do all of these things in one place without the hassle of using multiple platforms or tools. On average, our team is saving two hours a week in time, some as many as 10-15 hours per week.

Cons

As a subcontractor, there is some functionality that we'd like to see changed or added to make the tool even more helpful that doesn't quite work for us right now. The RFI functionality doesn't let us use our own templates, but is in the process of being overhauled, which may help. Our field team would love to be able to make edits to documents and re-save them as documents rather than downloading, saving, and re-uploading them. Some of our team would also like better markup tools that match Bluebeam's functionality.

PlanGrid isn't necessarily a project management tool, and they've shared it won't be. At some point we may look into a PM software integration to make managing projects more streamlined. For now, we're not able to complete all activities in the tool and have work arounds from the PM side.

Morgan F.

PlanGrid is helping us change the way we do business - every day!

Reviewed on 2015/09/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The application is easy to use so our people want to use it! It helps us be faster and more efficient. We constantly have the information we need at our fingertips. We enjoy being able to quickly and easily scroll through our project information and be able to link information together so you don't miss important information.

We enjoy working with the people over at PlanGrid because they make it feel like they are in whatever situation you are having, whether it is good or bad. They want you to succeed, they want to help you fix any issues that arise - they're part of our team and we appreciate their excellent customer and technical support.

Cons

PlanGrid works really hard to develop new features and push them out to their users. We know that they make a dedicated effort and are constantly exploring new options and ideas. With that being said, we'd like to see them come out even faster and more frequently.

Charlie T.

PlanGrid Review-

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

Overall the software is an amazing tool for Construction projects. The ability to manage one project in one space is unmatched.

Pros

The best things about the software are:
1) The ability to have unlimited sheets
2) The easy upload of new sheets and the accessibility of Revs 1/ 2/ 3, etc. with a simple swipe
3) Support team always fast and helpful
4) The ability to create issues and tag multiple linked accounts to the same issue
5) The ability to create reports from RFIs, Issues, logo upload etc. to PDF, Excel documents and how immersive the reports are, from the organization of the issues and photos (very professional)
6) The ability to upload documents and attach them where needed for example RFI's
7) All the editing tools for Mark-ups within sheets.
8) How easy to publish and unpublish content as Admin

Cons

The least favorite things about the software are:
1) All though the cross platform from Web/Mac/ Windows/ Mobile options are great, the experience of cross platforms are not consistent throughout. Some features are available on some platforms and not in others
2) Constant out of sync updating on Mobile/ Desktop versions
3) Different software bugs across platforms (but its understandable)

Regie B.

A Great Tool that saves me tremendous time......

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

When we start a construction project now we invite the entire team. Designers, Owners, subcontractors, and vendors to our project folder. Now we can rest easy knowing that everyone is using the most current documents as the project is constructed. Our superintendents keep their daily reports on PlanGrid. Our safety inspections and meetings are kept on PlanGrid. Submittals, RFIs, project photos, drawings, and finally our Punchlist. It save a ton of time and money having this as a single source to keep all this project information in one place.

Pros

PlanGrid allows me to keep all my construction contract documents all in one place. In the past various versions of drawings, specs, submittals, RFI's, etc would be stored in various places and you could never be sure if you were in fact looking at the latest versions. PlanGrid takes that problem away and when collaborating with your team you can be sure that everyone is operating from the same sheet of music.

Cons

There are a few minor quirks that I have asked PlanGrid's support folks to look into correcting. Over the past few years I have shared many items with them that I would like to see changed or updated. They have most definitely listened and the product continuously gets better. Thanks PlanGrid!

Christopher R.

PlanGrid 2018

Reviewed on 2018/11/08

Overall it is a great software.
The sales team and training team are great and professional.
The software engineers (Coders) don't follow up and it takes them forever to correct any issues with the software.
It almost seems like my voice is not being heard as many of my suggestions are to fix glitches in their software.

Pros

PlanGrid is a great software to keep your Plans and Documents organized.
Since implementing PlanGrid, we have had more clarity as to which set of plans are current, where we are with Submittals and RFI's, as well as many other items.
It is an amazing tool for field use and our superintendents have been able to learn quickly.

Cons

Many of the features are new, like RFI's, Daily Reports, Photos, and Submittals.
Because they are so new, there are a number of glitches.
When adding Pictures through the Photos tab or even in Daily Reports, they automatically re-orient themselves to end up sideways or upside down. Unfortunately once they are in, you cannot re-orient them properly.
Submittals could use a little work on organization.
We have had some complications on syncing when using tablets in the field, causing a loss of Daily Reports.
There seems to be a lack of consistency between the iOS, Android App, Windows App, and Web Based Version that should be addressed.
Workspaces has a lot of glitches, like you cannot delete or edit a file in documents, unless you are in the Windows App, then you can delete but not edit.

Gary T.

Best site software I've used in 30 years

Reviewed on 2019/03/08

Great product which just keeps getting better I would recommend the product and support to anyone. It will improve workflow and efficiency on any multi-disciplinary project. As a freelance consultant the first thing I recommend on any new project is PlanGrid.

Pros

It covers pretty much all aspects of what you want to use reports, data and drawings on site. It's also been extremely useful in the design process as well as helping close out on snagging issues.

Cons

It's not a document management system in it's trueset form though the document handling is very useful especially through the RFI process. I think the access approval system could still do with a tweak but we have found a workaround for AFC production drawings. Also if you are looking for mass rollout then the price can be on the high side. I honestly think a reduction in price would see a massive uptake in licences. I'd love every supervisor on my site to have a licence but the cost is just too much. We've purchased ten licences where I'd really would have purchased 40-50.

Justin S.

Plangrid is an exceptional field management asset

Reviewed on 2019/01/18

The fact that I do not have to carry around physical plans is fantastic. The ease of project task documentation is fast and simple. Customer service is the best that I have received, from any company in any industry.

Pros

The interface of the software is exceptional. Viewing everything from plans to specifications is simple and fast. The ability to integrate the plans with the submittals is very useful as flipping through multiple documents, files or folders is removed. Plan markups are simple, photo documentation of everything from deficiencies to just having documentation that things were performed correctly is incredibly useful and beneficial. Being able to see where and when a photo was taken is fantastic.

Cons

There really aren't any items that I can think of that I dislike. Perhaps the fact that administrators cannot modify reports. It would be nice to be able to continue reports that another team member has started, for instance during overnight concrete pours would be useful. It would also be beneficial as sometimes one team member may have forgotten something and editing prior to saving would be nice.

Praveen R.

It is an effective utility that helps in keeping and managing the backups and blueprints of construction data.

Reviewed on 2018/08/19

Pros

It provides real time file updates and reduces the paperwork required. It also is a collaborative platform on which multiple companies can work on and share data and information regarding construction works. This also lets to access the information such as drawing and photos from any mobile device, anywhere. The features can be used offline as well. This tool can be depended on regardless of the size of the project, which makes it highly versatile. The application also makes sure that no data is lost during a turnover, we have all revised drawings made on a project. The application maintains security measures and procedures at every level, as the work progresses. It has helped us to compare various versions of the same project.

Cons

This software has no integration with any database software, so there is not option to control who can view what, which is a data security risk issue. The windows version of the application does not have as many features as compared to the version available on iPads. Cost to share data with team members is high.

7.0/10
Simon G.

Plangrid IS THE TOOL to coordinate jobsite and office

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

I don't even have paper copies of my project now ! All digital and functionnal for all parties within the company, from the jobsite to the office. All working with the same documents sharing information and feedback from both end. Jobsite to the office AND office to the jobsite. Way much easier to works now than it was 10 years ago ! ... at least for the drawings and communication aspect !

Pros

The unbelivable support provided by Plangrid. Easy to access and convenient and knowledgeable.
The possibility of keeping the whole copy of project at one specific place allowing to review difference between multiple version easy and quick.

Cons

We would like to use more Plangrid regarding the custom made graph and template. We find it hard sometime to customized it. We normally end doing our own on the side. We would like to be able to use Plangrid at it fullpotential by having custom template (document to fill) easier to complete

Brian N.

My most used construction app.

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2016/07/10

For those familiar with standard user interfaces PlanGrid is very easy to pick up. It was recommended to me by the lead architect on our project and I'm very happy she did so. It was made immediately useful by allowing me to quickly upload my drawing set and begin making punch lists for the construction project I was overseeing.

Pros

One of my biggest time sinks is formatting reports so once I found out that this app formats them for you I was immediately hooked. The default format is very logical and simple to read and for that I am eternally grateful. No more messing with strange Word formatting procedure for this guy.

The collection of photos and being able to mark them up instantly is wonderful. It is great for punch lists as well as cataloging existing conditions. Simply being able to note where the photo is taken is excellent.

The myriad of additional mark up tools is fairly standard but very necessary and also well done. Without them this tool would not feel complete or flexible.

Cons

Initially it was difficult for me to find out how to download the remainder of my photos. They are kept in a folder on your device that I haven't found a quick way to get out without another app like Astro File Manager (another great app for those of you looking for better folder access).

If there was an option to include a list of photos and there locations on the reports that would be very helpful for existing conditions. It's just slightly quicker that making punch list items for each photo taken. I haven't used the app for a few months since I've been on other projects so I apologize if this has been added.

Tim B.

Must have tool for Construction

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

Pros

I have used PlanGrid for the last five years. I started out as just a collaborator in the field, and now I am setting up and assisting with managing the projects that our company has on PlanGrid. PlanGrid continues to flow and keep up to date with the latest trends in the construction industry. Being able to house all construction documents needed to build a building is key and makes for much a much smoother run project. Overall, PlanGrid is a must for construction projects.

Cons

I have noticed that the older workers take longer to get used to the software and some will not use it because they really like being able to fold open the prints and look at them that way. I have been privileged to assist some of them with understanding how PlanGrid works and after some time they catch on.

Nate H.

PlanGrid a True Companion of the Modern Builder

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

PlanGrid has transformed the organization of construction documents into an overall enjoyable experience. I cannot express how much I appreciate the ease of use and the ability to ensure that current documents are being utilized in the field to build from. In addition to the many available feature, the capacity to store multiple projects on my account is priceless. I cannot count how many times I have been able to respond to the requests of past clients in minutes no matter where I am. Finally the overlay feature, which I refer to as the "Equalizer" takes away the guessing game when it comes to seeing what really changed as drawing revisions are issued.

Pros

Functionality and ease of use.
Having drawings at our fingertips and being able to quickly navigate a plan set via hyperlinks.
Ability to annotate, post RFI's and submittal information.

Cons

Honestly, there is nothing that I don't like about this sofware.

Michael K.

Plangrid product review

Reviewed on 2019/03/07

I love the product overall. I recommend it to everyone who is in construction management. They are continually updating the product to give it more abilities to address different things.

It really saves a bunch of time for the teams using it.

Pros

Plangrid is great for keeping track of changes & RFIs on a project, and making sure the field gets them in real time. I can upload new/revised drawings and information and the field can review and adjust work immediately, saving rework, making them more efficient, and ultimately saving time and money. It also makes quickly searching through the drawings extremely quick and simple.

Cons

On the desktop app, you cannot copy and past markups to a drawing. Additionally, we tried using the RFIs feature for my current project, but I could not send an RFI directly to a client that is not already in plangrid. It takes several extra steps to get the RFIs to the client. I went back to the old way, using excel and our RFI template.

Tony O.

Terrific platform for access to my construction drawings

Reviewed on 2019/01/18

This is an incredibly useful app. The portability of every issue of drawings for the projects that I am working on makes this app so handy for use on my tablet. I have used the overlay feature to figure out a change order many times while commuting on the train. The mark up features and ability to add photos as part of my field notes on a project are invaluable. The same notes and photos added by others make punch lists much easier to complete. I can't say enough about the ability to save specs and approvals and other documents into Plangrid and that makes them just as portable as the drawings.

Pros

Loads fast. Easy to share comments and collaborate. Many helpful commenting tools. Loading drawings is usually quick and easy.

Cons

Android updates come out later than Apple updates. I am an android user and every now and then I cannot access a new feature that Apple users can.

David L.

We have incorporated PlanGrid as a rescource

Reviewed on 2019/03/07

Business problems - common location of documents for everyone and most of the time you can be assured that you are looking at the most current version.

Very good experience, almost everyone can use PlanGrid on their iPAD and computer and get the information needed in a quick manner without having to type in a security number for every drawing that you need to review.

Pros

Reliable - quick - user friendly.
My group at Clayco is involved in construction work and commissioning. PlanGrid was touted by one of our staff who worked for another firm before coming to us. He even had his own account when he first joined us because he like PlanGrid that much.
I like PlanGrid for how I started this paragraph. It is easy to navigate whether sitting in the office or out in a building under construction.
Also like it because many of our subcontractors also have PlanGrid.

Cons

That we did not have it earlier.
Sometimes when we receive a notice that new drawings have been posted in PlanGrid, they are not always clear as to what drawings were updated - that may be our own problem and not PlanGrid.

Julianne B.

Amazingly User Friendly

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

My current project was the first where the Contractor and Architect on board and the punchlist has never been more efficient. The contractor did his thorough punch and then the architect did his and it saved me so much time having their items there on the plan easily visible. I also think it will save my contractor time not having to discern repeated items.

Pros

I love how user friendly PlanGrid is, from downloading sheets and having the software read the page names and numbers and then linking all call outs to their reference to the ability to document information in the field. PlanGrid is always improving and developing. There are so many functions that I haven't even discovered them all yet.

Cons

I wish you could order the sheets in a way that was other than alphabetical, that the user could choose the order. Being able to compare two sheets is so useful but it would be even better if you could compare more. I also wish there was a better way to issue the punchlist to subcontractors who do not use Plangrid. The excel sheet is missing the specific location of the issue and the full print out has ended up being hundred of pages.

Feedback

Reviewed on 2019/04/16

Pros

What I like most about this software is that once you have it all set up, and you download their program, it is very easy to use on their desktop application. It makes shifting through sheets very easy, and you are allowed to make markups as necessary, with the option to delete them (if you were just using them to clarify something in meetings). I also love that you are allowed to import personnel from previous projects which is convenient when many of the same people will be added.

Cons

Their web version could use a bit of work as I dreaded using plangrid on the web. Whenever you selected the wrong page you would have to go back through all the sheets to find the correct one. Yes, you can search them up as well, but when flipping through pages it was hard if you needed to look for a specific page and had to scroll through the sheets (instead of when hitting the back button it takes you to the area you were before, similar to what happens on the application program.

Ronald P.

One of the best on site tools you'll ever have!

Reviewed on 2015/11/25
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I really appreciate being able to carry ALL of my drawings, ASIs, submittals and RFIs on an IPad! This saves a lot of legwork when getting stopped by multiple subs on a jobsite because I have all of the information with me. I'm not a real tech person so when the office told me I was getting an iPad with Plan Grid, I was not interested. After a couple of days in the field, it is one of the most valuable tools I've ever had. To be able to mark up drawings, add site photos and transmit them in a PDF to the Engineers and Architects as an RFI is amazingly fast and easy and cuts down their response time! I highly recommend Plan Grid to every Superintendent out there who wants to increase their productivity and save a lot of time. Plan Grid is always available to assist with questions to help you get the most out of this software.

Cons

When I use the search icon to go directly to a specific page, I cannot scroll to the previous or next page from that point. It would be helpful to be able to scroll if you are off by a page or the details are on the next page.

Allison M.

Good, Though Limited Product

Reviewed on 2016/04/14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

PlanGrid is simple to use, and makes drawing management a breeze. Subcontractors can no longer complain they don't have the most up to date drawings - they're in their pocket at all times.

Cons

PlanGrid's simplicity is both its greatest strength, and its greatest weakness. The ubiquity of "There's an app for that" has turned into many tight and incredibly useful apps that (only) do one thing or another really well. PlanGrid is one of these - the drawing management capabilities are fantastic, but the RFIs tool is not. It is also somewhat a barrier to entry that there is an ever-growing cost associated with PlanGrid. Many subcontractors struggle to justify the cost month to month, especially if they have a small scope on a large project with many sheets. It would make more sense for the cost of PlanGrid on each project to be borne by the GC, and Subs to gain access via invitation, without incurring exponential costs in the process.

Kristen S.

Amazing Software - Great for In the Field Use!

Reviewed on 2018/01/18
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

It is rather expensive if you have a lot of users... still worth it but could be a little more budget friendly. But overall this is an easy way to manage plans and distribute plans and changes!

Pros

This software is great for being able to take drawings into the field and add markups as I walk the site! This makes for great notes and helps communication between the field and office or between GC and client / AE. It makes it easy to track and control revision changes throughout bid process and actual construction.

Cons

Some of the set up is rather difficult and time consuming... but worth it in the long run. There is also no way to control permissions of users, which would be a great feature!

Alex S.

Don't waste your time

Reviewed on 2019/08/02
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

cheap to get into
need to fill the space for minimum number of characters

Cons

lack of functionality
OCR is not upto par
can't search text within reports

0.0/10
Troy V.

Very well thought out. Lightweight, agile and efficient!

Reviewed on 2015/11/20
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

PlanGrid is great for users of all expertise levels. The application is simple and lightweight enough that we can teach any user to use it quickly and get them up and running. At the same time, there is enough versatility in features built into the service that we can efficiently control our documents with little effort. It has proven to be extremely useful in maintaining our contract and shop documents on large projects for the field to stay on top of the game.
Also, the PlanGrid team is a cut above the rest. Support is superb. I enjoy speaking with them to the point that I plug up their support chat from time to time just saying Hello. :)

Cons

One of the main hurdles in getting PlanGrid set up properly was figuring out how to organize our PDF's so that the field can get to the sheets they want without scrolling for days. However, with a little guidance from the PlanGrid support team, this is easily achievable.