Joomla

Rogelio
  • Industry: Online Media

Ready out of the box

Reviewed on 2021/09/19

I love this. I've been using this since forever. I've seen Joomla evolve and I really love how they have worked towards a solution that can still be the one of the bests CMS out there, if not, the best.
I'd like to see more integrations with Joomla as there are with Wordpress. Joomla lacks this integration but it is not a feature that puts it behind Wordpress, not at all.
This is the CMS I recommend to my clients.

Pros

Joomla is a complete CMS that has default features that work as promised without the need of external plugins. Unlike Wordpress, Joomla can be kept with a minimum of plugins and components reducing the risk of a security gap.

You can get really good plugins done by people who love what they do and most of them are even free and perform at top level.

Cons

There are some aspects I really don't like about Joomla and the first one is the access control ACL. It's pretty tricky and sometimes I've messed up a whole site just because I checked the wrong box and locked me out of my own development.

I do not use the templates as I find the modules positions messy and kind of boring to use, I always use YooTheme over Joomla as a template and this is magic in motion.

Joomla is pretty easy to explain to clients but there are some procedures that need to be explained several times, as the menu items, the aliases, modules, the redirections and some other stuff that could be even friendlier

Reasons for Switching to Joomla

Less plugins to install, more security
diego Luis

If you want a powerful portal this is the option...

Reviewed on 2022/07/14

Excellent experience in my projects. The power, scalability and stability of Joomla really allowed me to create very professional portals and sites. If you have an idea in your mind of how you want your site to work, Joomla allows you to make it a reality in a very concrete way, due to the great features it has. There is also a very active community, and also a lot of documentation if you need it.

Pros

Scalability
Powerful
Good bookstores and active community
Trajectory, prestige and reliability
stable and secure
Allows larger and more complex projects

Cons

It requires a certain learning curve, but it is worth it
If you are not in a large-scale project, sometimes you could get a little lost among the many possibilities it offers in terms of the extensions it offers
Customization can be a bit hard if you don't have experience

Moodle

Reasons for Choosing Joomla

I got quite frustrated doing some projects and found that I couldn't implement everything I wanted, and worse still, in some cases the site had instability and crashes with many plugins. I couldn't afford to focus or base a serious project on a platform that had these issues

Drupal

Reasons for Switching to Joomla

Drupal had a lot of instability, little customization for people with little design knowledge, and in general I felt that I was limited when it came to creating a site or portal according to my needs. On the other hand it was unnecessarily complex in some areas of the dashboard
Emilio
Emilio

Powerful but hard to use CMS

Reviewed on 2019/02/18

We have used joomla as the CMS for our website for over a decade (now we've migrated to Wordpress) and it proved stable, reliable and adaptable, but we had the advantage of being a software company where designers and developers were always readily available to beat Joomla into submission. I think that nowadays Wordpress is a better overall solution, but do take Joomla intou account. Its the old reliable CMS that can certainly get the job done, but I would only reccomend it for tech savvy users or developers.

Pros

The best about joomla is that it is very powerful and adaptable. I has a big community, thousands of sites made with it have created an enourmous community of developers and designers who have experience with it. That also means that is has a huge assortment of plugins, extensions, themes and whatnot.
Its very likely that whatever problem you have someone had the same problem before, so solutions will be available in the form of plugins (sometimes paid ones), or forum posts. If you need to do something very specific that requires coding, well then joomla is simple php and js, meaning any developer can quickly fins his way around joomla.

Cons

The main con about joomla is that it is a bit old and unintiutive. If you have never dealt with a CMS then you might need to read some documentation to find your way around a joomla site. Even if you have used other CMSs, joomla has it's very own way of doing things, meaning that tutorials and getting started guides are a must. Plugins rarely work straight of of the box (or zip), they usually requiere a bit of coding to get them exactly like you want them, but that can be said about pretty much any CMS.

Phil

Joomla my favourite CMS to use

Reviewed on 2021/07/24

Overall I love Joomla, been using it for over 10 years I think it version 1.3 or 1.4 I started off with back then and stuck with it all the way through as other CMS systems just didn't seem as user friendly when I tried them. I can create nice websites that do what I need, just wish there was more help on making them great in the eyes of Google to pass the page speed and core web vitals tests etc

Pros

It has to be that it works logically and makes sense, if there is a problem you can usually work out what has caused it and fixed it without much of a problem. If you do get stuck then there are usually places where you can find answers to your problems online

Cons

When coming to technical SEO issues for things like increasing page speed, removing unused Java script & CSS etc most of the tutorials online seem to be focused more on different CMS users like WP etc, it would be great if Joomla did actually have some paid employees who could create useful guides for non coders who aren't experts that could make some walk through guides so the average user could make their own websites run like experts sites. I know Joomla is an open source software, but I wouldn't mind paying a small fee when I set up a new website to contribute to having some full time paid staff who could provide more documentation and training for Joomla, as opposed to having to paid large fees to experts as that's not really in my budget.

Reasons for Switching to Joomla

I tried Wordpress and found it very frustrating and unintuitive, then Drupal I didn't actually try, read a few reviews and decided to go with Joomla. Although I did see quite a few impressive websites that had been made on Drupal. Another thing that turned me off Wordpress was that I started to notice that most of the WordPress sites I was coming across seemed to be very very similar and so didn't really think that this would help my sites to stand out. Joomla seemed to have lots of very different styles of website which made it seem a lot more flexible.
  • Industry: Design
  • Used for 2+ years

Powerful but very complex CMS

Reviewed on 2021/07/08

I had worked with Joomla in a lot of sites since they forked out from mambo. I had done from simple 5 links sites to news portals with hundreds of pages.

Pros

It is like a blank slate, where you can create almost any kind of website that you require. It has a very robust user management tool which lets you assign and coordinate a hierarchy of control and access.

Cons

It could be very complex, distinguish between modules, plugins and components are not always clear for the users. And having to do things in different places based on what you do, makes things even worst. So it requires a lot of documentation after the work is done.

Mohamed

Joomla is one of my favorite CMS's

Reviewed on 2020/09/22

I really love joomla, i've been using this CMS for years and still creating new websites using it.
It just needs to offer more free plugins and also push major updates like 3.x & 4.x.

Pros

Issue tracker
Template Variety
Ease of customization

Cons

Free Plugins and add-ons - not enough
Lack of major updates

Reasons for Switching to Joomla

Every client has his own requirements and requests in his website, then we choose the better for the client's case.
Arnis

Joomla is very functional web platform, but needs knowledge to use

Reviewed on 2021/11/10

Joomla has been around for ages. And older Joomla versions are still out there a lot. But they has many security flaws. Latest Joomla version (3) ir much more modern and stable to use

Pros

Functionality. It is very modular and has rich functionality

Cons

It's complicated. It's not easy to make changes and implement modules.
Many of modules are commercial and is not for free even to try

WordPress, TYPO3 and October CMS

Reasons for Switching to Joomla

It's free and customers have been working with Joomla older versions before. It's more modular and functional even without web developers.
Eric
Eric

Website Builder & CMS. Good for SEO.

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Once I got proficient, I could accomplish pretty much whatever I wanted. With the right plugins and extensions, Joomla is great.

Pros

After getting used to it, it's fairly easy to navigate around and accomplish tasks.

Cons

The complexity of articles, modules and menu items makes composing an actual web page a little confusing at first. Explaining how all of these pieces come together to a client can be challenging.

Reasons for Switching to Joomla

I now use Wordpress instead of Jooma, but at the time, I liked Joomla capabilities.
ELI
  • Industry: Libraries

So many features; bit of a learning curve

Reviewed on 2019/08/31

I use this to run a funeral home website, and it works well enough. There have been some issues with the functionality of a plugin to handle the obituaries, though that could be likely due to the plugin itself.

Pros

Functionality, customization options, community

Cons

Learning curve, somewhat clunky interface of the backend

Reasons for Switching to Joomla

Joomla was chosen thanks to the availability of a plugin to handle the obituaries and condolences.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Joomla has decent features but still needs better plugins

Reviewed on 2021/08/23

Pros

Joomla is a feature rich CMS similar to Wordpress and Drupal. It was fairly easy to deploy and had many templates available for purchase.

Cons

Most of the plugins that are worthwhile must be purchased. The support between many of the commercial plugins can be problematic. We spent so much money on plugins and then switched platforms due to lack of interoperability.

Frederico
  • Industry: Design

Want to build a website now? Use Joomla!

Reviewed on 2021/07/01

Jommla is a web content management system that helped me a lot in my early career as a web designer, in publishing and managing web content, mainly because I had little knowledge on the subject at the time. Used for online stores, corporate blogs, news portals, service catalogs, among other formats. It is a CMS that does not require in-depth programming knowledge. With little knowledge of HTML and CSS, a lot of cool stuff can be done. It has many plugins and components that complement and facilitate the construction of online content. I am so grateful for all he has given me.

Pros

Jommla is easy to manage content online and solves everything without programming.
There are many tutorials on youtube and communities that help each other to resolve any difficulties that may arise when developing web projects.

Cons

It could have more native functions. There are endless possibilities, but they have to be added through components, modules and plugins.

Reasons for Switching to Joomla

I chose joomla for its ease of use and for not needing programming knowledge. In addition there are many tutorials on youtube where other users teach you how to use and configure very easily.
Paul

Great CMS, with a great responsability of privacy for users

Reviewed on 2019/11/24

Complete CMS from the first installation, it really grew up in the last years! I ported already one wordpress site :-)

Pros

As any other CMS it installs in minutes, not even seconds, but its asking about tracking, its asking about privacy, by default it manages user requests pretty good! WordPress can learn from this.
The default editor in Joomla is rich, very rich and is not stripped of like you see in other CMS systems where you have to install add-ons to have the full functionality.
Of course you can disable the editor and go full with HTML content yourself.
A simple website with a little banner, contact form and some company info, with your choosen template from the integrated installer is done in no-time and you don't need experience.

Cons

The editor is great for me and I love it, when creating pages(articles) but maybe you can also create a lite version of the editor for people who want to copy/paste from word?
There is up to now no default way to enter a youtube ID for easy publishing a youtube video or maybe I am wrong, but can not find it, of course you can add an embed link, but users are not always aware of how to do this.

Kwabena
  • Industry: Research

Website development with joomla is a breeze

Reviewed on 2023/04/08

My overall experience with Joomla has been good. Till date I manage about dozens of websites developed with Joomla.

Pros

Joomla makes it easy to manage website. With little knowledge in web developing, you can get it up and running in no time

Cons

For non-technical people, there is a learning curve. But the extensive documentation from the website reduces the stress in managing content with it.

Reasons for Switching to Joomla

Joomla is simple to use and has great extensions
  • Used for 1+ year

‘Thanks to Joomla Community’

Reviewed on 2019/07/20

Wouldn’t exaggerate. A community who believes that the web should be for every one, works tirelessly to afford that opportunity free of cost. Go get it and experience for yourself. Go to https://downloads.joomla.org/ and understand your limits or nolimits. Then just leave a note of appreciation @ Joomla.

Pros

Thanks to Joomla community we have open source CMS to build websites at free of cost. Imaging the cost we have to incur if we had to rely on a multinational SW developer? This community of developers have come together and given us an exceptional CMS in building a site be it personal or commercial but free of cost. All you need is a hosting plan (free or paid and in most, Joomla is included as the CMS together with WP etc.) and you can get going building your site but you may need some coding skills if you want to customize your site. Having said so, Joomla has its own resources even for an average person to learn through errors. ‘If you are keen, Joomla is lean’. Why worry, you don't need to pay for your trials and errors. There are tons of learning material available at https://training.joomla.org/, https://forum.joomla.org/, etc where Joomla community is behind you to help you in making your project get going. There are enough of layouts and extensions/plugins free and paid, choice is yours. Don’t ask questions about SEO, all built-in. No need to pay for third parties to bring your site to the front. Don’t get caught to advertising, and if you, you will end up paying for what is offered free at Joomla. Now don’t worry about where you come from and the language you speak. Joomla will speak FOR YOU. Now, try Joomla for the endless features and resources.

Cons

Ideal for webmasters. That doesn’t mean you cannot utilize Joomla. Joomla is never downgraded. Its not an insult to Joomla community. But what I meant was for webmaters, the limit is beyond the sky.

Qamar
Qamar
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Joomla for Perfect web site devolpment tool

Reviewed on 2020/08/10

Best way to expressing and perform search engine optimization, mostly used for social media marketing, Classic UI and more configurable items make it useful, much secured and convenient working with server side, Lesser extensions are available to add more feature, integrated perfectly with social media like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube perfectl.

Pros

Much secured and comprehensive content management system that supports wide range of websites, discussion, introduction, with personal messaging service, user management, role defining is fully covered including access to pages, detailed pages and customization can be done accordingly to enhanced added feature, direct access and working with server through its configuration.

Cons

Much complicated and hidden type setting, hard to customize it, due to complexity and difficult customization comparatively lesser plugins, extensions are available, so it needs more and more customization and work if you did not found your required features in prebuilt in extension.

Candace

Exceptional web developing software application!

Reviewed on 2018/04/03

The benefits of using Joomla include managing content within a secured database. Other benefits of Joomla include learning about site analytics, metadata, structure and navigation of building a professional website. Additional benefits of utilizing Joomla include receiving a certification for the completion of certain exams. Furthermore, the benefits of utilizing Joomla consist of being able to clone or download repositories from GitHub to assist with more website development.

Pros

Joomla is an open source content management system that non-profit, state agencies, small-businesses, or corporations. Organizations can benefit from utilizing Joomla because the features within the applications are relatively simple to utilize to distribute company's information on a website. Joomla is an excellent tool that interfaces with your company's network that allows for online applications to be built. Joomla utilizes a standard website content builder similar to Word Press that allows for classified fields to be entered by the end user. Content can be managed by authenticated or authorized users for publishing purposes. Content can be synced with the company's intranet or internet ensuring smooth synchronization between two platforms using PHP and SQL.

Cons

Promotional materials may be forwarded to the company's legal address as providing an address is required upon registering with volunteers.joomla.org. IP Address may be utilized to identify possible abuse, which may be shared between third parties. IP Addresses my be shared when commenting on features, which also includes the users name and email address. Other information may be collected, but the "other information" is not specified within the terms of service agreement or privacy policy. Sharing of other information can be allowed with third parties regarding advertisements of goods or services.

Michelangelo
Michelangelo

The CMS I love the most

Reviewed on 2023/07/31

Pros

The list of Joomla advantages could be endless: starting from the fact that it is more than well organized for the community behind it, well done graphics, a more than decent and acceptable user experience (for the webmaster). These are things that I generally struggle to find in other CMSs, while here it really seems to be done by real people for real people, without an extortion purpose.Last thing: it will be a coincidence but 70% of the sites I manage are Joomla. In the last 3 years only my wordpress sites have been attacked even if they had much better security situations than Joomla sites

Cons

Unfortunately, my unpopular opinion, I think it is very underrated and for this there are so many plugins and updated themes for this CMS. It's really a shame.

Roy

Been a fan since 1.5

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

Joomla with its open source concept has allowed our university to flourish with nearly 2000 articles. I've taken it apart and put it back together several times. From the php to the sql database, joomla provides the developer the opportunity to debug a lot easier. It's also easy to manipulate and create new templates, module spaces and global modifications. We currently have three distinct sites on one install, which helps us maintain the updates. Joomla has been our backborn since 1.5 and we've never looked back. Although its main competitor Wordpress and Drupal offer more bells and whistles, we are grateful for the developers that keep adding and making joomla even better every iteration. Joomla's becoming more streamline and less bloated, which helps our systems run much faster.

Cons

As of late, the security updates have crashed our systems. However, we are able to fix these problems quickly. The main con we do have is that there are few developers on the marketplace offering modules and components. The ones we do find have not been updated for years which is concerning. Joomla system core does have some bloat but can be easily removed.

Caleb
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Joomla - Free and Open source

Reviewed on 2019/10/21

It has been so satisfying to build with this exceptional CMS. It has all the bells and whistle needed and much more, making it truly the Apple of CMS.

Pros

Joomla is a free and Open source content management system (CMS) used mainly for creating and displaying web contents.

Joomla is probably the most robust CMS on the market right out of the box giving you that peace of mind from the start. Joomla has over 8,000 extensions available to add functionality on top of functionality, making it as complex as needs be or simple as wants be, so whenever there is the need for more, Joomla has it covered.

Joomla is down right one of the easiest to install and update CMS on the market, making it one of the most easiest to manage with little to no hassle at all. Joomla is designed to work with you and mostly for you; therefore, their content management process is simplified which makes creating content as simple as needs be.

With Joomla, if you want control, you've got control. Joomla places you completely in the drives seat with advance access control, allowing you to take full control with zero restrictions to make thing happen the way your intend it to. When it is not quite what you want or expect, you can always Override the defaults and customize to your liking without a ton load of advance code. Last but not least, Joomla is super secure so you and your client can feel at easy when building with Joomla.

Cons

Some may say that the UI is a bit too advance compared to others which makes it complicated to build with.

Rob
Rob
  • Industry: Graphic Design
  • Used for 2+ years

Old style CMS

Reviewed on 2019/10/31

I have generally maintained Joomla solutions for clients who have had active site that were already established. This was at the recommendation of whoever initially set up the site. I personally prefer other solutions that are similar but have less of a learning curve and are more straight forward to setup and maintain.

Pros

Joomla is an open-source PHP/MySQL based CMS. This lets it be very customizable and there are a lot of resources online through community support to get documentation and help with changes and such. It does have a lot of features and you can spend a lot of time figuring out how to manage Joomla.

Cons

It doe feel a bit clunky and not straight forward. Something as simple as creating a content page can be confusing at first glance. My experience with customizing templates was that it is more difficult than other competing CMS options, but as with many PHP-based solutions there is a good community to help if you get stuck if you ask the right questions.

Annam
Annam
  • Industry: Insurance

The best and Awesome Content Management System

Reviewed on 2020/04/16

My overall experience with Joomla is really nice, awesome and incredible. I have designed a number of websites using this unique content managment system. The software has helped me to build mobile friendly websites using different templates. I have also designed a few blogs with Joomla. For me, Joomla is very important regarding the web development. Because I can design professional websites without the coding. I have also done on page optimization using the different extensions of Joomla in my websites.

Pros

Joomla is one of the best software for the website creators. The dashboard of Joomla is really easy to understand and use. There are lots of free extensions and templates you can use in Joomla. Templates can give a professional look to your website. Joomla is Search Engine Friendly so the all pages links of your website can index in the search engine very fast. You can easily create meta title and description of your article and pages. So if you want to build your website without the knowledge of programming languages then Joomla is good for this purpose.

Cons

There are few paid extensions or there are a number of extensions, that doesn't offer full features to the beginner users. I think so these extensions should offer more features to the free users so they can also implement more good things in the websites. I really like the all other features and functions of Joomla.

James
James
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Love and Obsession

Reviewed on 2019/01/05

Pros

What an I say, this is my addiction! Seriously, I have been using Joomla! for approximately 14 years and have nothing but good things to say about it. First and foremost it is Free and Open Source giving developers an edge when creating Dynamic Websites. Secondly the development team and community behind Joomla! are hands down the best groups of people. Third, the 3rd Party Developer support for Joomla! is excellent with the Extension Directory providing more than 10,000 current integrations and enhancements. Lastly, the ease of use and end user learning is the simpelest compared to other CMS like Wordpress and Drupal. Our end user adoption of Joomla! is 500% faster than any other with less customer call backs than the others. This is great for customers and makes new business generate faster by word of mouth.

Cons

Nothing bad to say, one of the best things that has happened to me and my compay.

Vinny
Vinny

The Potential to Grow

Reviewed on 2018/03/09

I build sites for myself and clients using this platform.

I build sites for myself and clients using this platform.

Pros

Very powerful tools to restrict and grant access to users and admins built-in. I find it more secure then Wordpress, which is probably due to Wordpress' popularity, however, there are a lot of security features built-in. Very active community and the plugins are vetted regularly that are posted on their website. Joomla websites are very versatile in what they can be used for and can grow as you need them. They keep a regular update schedule and keep the community updated .

Cons

It can be a little confusing whether the content is coming from an article, component or a module. They don't handle canonical links very well and links are all menu based (however that can be a positive because it's easy to dictate what you'd like for a URL). Media Manager is a bit cumbersome and hopefully, version 4 will address a lot of the issues (such as replacing images).

Farhan
Farhan
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

The professional content management system for Website Development

Reviewed on 2020/06/14

I have developed a few websites using the Joomla and I really like this superb content management system. There are lots of reasons that I am satisfied with Joomla and some of them are these reasons. The Joomla is search engine friendly and mobile friendly. It's flexible and fully extensible. So I am really happy with Joomla.

Pros

Joomla is really incredible platform for the professional website creators. People can build professional websites from scratch to the advanced level using the Joomla. Joomla dashboard is really easy to understand. All options are very simple to use. You can create pages, articles and you can also add different users for your website.

Cons

There are few extensions and modules that are really expensive. So according to my experience there should be some free or trial versions of these extensions. So the beginners can try these extensions before purchasing them.

Darrin

Joomla is a CMS system that is works well for sites with a lot of content, like magazine sites.

Reviewed on 2018/04/24

Joomla was running a site of mine for several years until I sold it off. The basic version of Joomla can do the job well enough indeed, but the script was never very secure, and I had to do a major version update later on, which was not easy. So I never updated the site at all. For people who do not know anything about PHP, managing a Joomla site can be harder than it looks. The back-end admin can look and feel outdated/slow if you come from a WordPress background. But as far as doing the job, no issues there, and it is still more user-friendly than Drupal.

Pros

Joomla is quite user friendly, and simple to run/manage. It works well to power sites that have a lot of content, and there are now many free plugins that extend its scope. The URLs can be made into SEO friendly URLs with the aid of plugins and installation is not too difficult.

Cons

The back-end admin panel looks and feels rather dated and it is not a very secure script. Hackers are known to easily break into Joomla sites and it seems to consume quite a lot of server resources. If you need support, you are largely limited to the discussion board. Although there are many free plugins, but they may not be updated often, and you could be forced to buy expensive paid plugins simply because your options are limited.