1 331 reviews

Todoist

To-do list & task management software for handling projects

1 331 reviews
Steve M.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

The to-do app I've actually stuck with for a long time

Reviewed on 2019/12/31

It's superb for always being ready to go. I really love the Android widget that always sits on my home screen right next to my calendar and weather. It shows my task list for the day and I have no excuse for not knowing what needs doing.

Pros

I have used Todoist for almost 3 years now and it's the one to-do product that I seem to be able to stick with. I went through a variety of to-do-list managers before this, but somehow because of the wide range of platforms that it supports, including a browser extension, a native Windows app, mobile apps, and a native Mac app, Todoist meets my needs really well. So I guess the feature I like the most is it's ubiquity and speed--it's always close at hand. It can even be the default to-do manager on an Alexa device, which is really nice because you don't have to say "open Todoist" or something like that.

Cons

The free version is really limited. I had the paid version for quite a while and then switched back, but miss a few of the paid features. Even simple things like seeing completed to-dos aren't available unless you pay, so consider the free tier to be VERY limited.

Kristen G.
  • Industry: Design

The perfect tool for keeping your to-do list organized

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

I use ToDoist to keep track of tasks sent to me by clients. I don't use it for project management, extensive notes, or workflow so much as a simple to-do list of projects that need to be completed. Sometimes you don't need to write a lot of details - you just need to be sure you do the task and todoist is the best software I have found for that. Love it!

Pros

I love how it's a no frills to-do list I can access on my computer and phone. I love being able to set up different projects, due dates, and sub tasks. It also helps me with my EOM invoicing so I know what I did for each client.

Cons

I wish I could get more features for free. The comment feature and ability to set reminders look great. Although, Todoist does send me an email every day letting me know what's on my list, so that is very helpful even without reminders.

How would I live without it?

Reviewed on 2019/10/05

Overall, I wouldn't change anything about the layout of Todoist. I could not stay organized or finish a good portion of my job without Todoist. It's relatively simplistic, but I love that about it, and I appreciate the intuitiveness of the tool in general.

Pros

Todoist is very easy to use. I like that I can create a task and add as many notes to it as I need. When I don't have the time or brain power to finish a project at the end of the day, I create a task in Todoist so I can pick up where I left off the next day. It's easy to move the due date on any task if anything changes. The most significant way I use Todoist is to fill in the gaps on any work processes that are not fully automated. I set tasks out in the future all the time to make sure the final step is compete. Without Todoist I would be at a loss!

Cons

The only thing I don't like about Todoist is it doesn't always log my completed tasks immediately. When I mark a task as completed, it should disappear from my list right away, but sometimes it doesn't update until I have refreshed the page. I'm guessing this is an issue that will be solved by the Todoist team soon.

Yaroslav K.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Your personal assistant everyday, everywhere || Best portable task manager

Reviewed on 2018/05/09

Pros

*Flexibility
You can use browser, android, ios, windows, mac device, apple watch, android wear or even use a gmail or outlook.
Todoist is right there for you.

*UI
It has the most welcoming UI of all todo managers. Of course, tastes are different. But I believe, no-one would disagree that Todoist is well made and developed with Love.

*Scalability and features

No being a full scale CRM does not stop Todoist from having everything you might want to have for your everyday simple lists, reminders and tasks. Todoist offers such features as a great approach to structure of tasks, flawless work on the prioritizing tasks and creating simple lists.

*Integrations and little things
Todoist offers a broad range of features out of the box, such as projects, links as tasks, scheduling and calendar integration.

You always forget to pick up or buy something. Or want to prepare for the day by creating a simple todo - this app is for YOU.

Cons

1. More integrations needed. First of all calendars - at the moment the work there is mostly messy and is not optimized. It would be nice to have it in a compact and comfortable tab (calendar tab) and also add calendars on the go and display tasks or meeting in todoist. That would be a huge leap ahead.

2. Pricing of Todoist is not smart, to my humble opinion. First of all, they don't offer monthly payments, why not? Yes, I agree it's cheaper to pay for a year. But what if I am not sure. There are many todo apps and the pricing might be the only thing that would stop people from using todoist constantly, students for example. Would it not be nice to have more flexibility and options there.

Zoran L.

An easy to use, versatile, productivity and organization multi-platform app.

Reviewed on 2018/04/11

Todoist is great for scheduling and deadlines and is an excellent collaboration tool. It is available on many platforms both online and offline, easily syncs and has an offline functionality.

As a productivity tool, Todoist is great for teams allowing 50 people per project. It features the centralized team billing, management log-in tracking and priority support at an affordable price. It takes some thought and time to customize and use the product.

The free version is restrictive, but the paid version offers a 30-day trial that uses a credit card information and is easy to cancel. Also, it is relatively affordable with a monthly plan. I highly recommend Todoist for freelancers, small, medium, and even large businesses.

Pros

Real-time Data Synchronization among the different platforms.
30-day trial and easy to cancel.
The end of trial email reminder.
Many ways to measure and visualize progress.
Variety of platforms, apps, and plugins supported as follows: Web, Win, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, Android watch, Apple watch, extensions for Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.
Email plugins for the Outlook and Gmail.
It integrates with hundreds of applications such as Google Drive, Dropbox, IFTTT, and Pomodoro.
Great social media presence.
An excellent support blog and support help guide center.
Todoist Sync and REST API for creating custom tasks and custom integration sync.
Customizable shortcuts are available everywhere, regardless of the plan.
Shared project settings.
Quick add task feature.
Project, label, reminders priority and a quick comment.
Productivity meter.
It has many options available for editing tasks.
Available in 17 languages.
Available in 10 multi-color themes.
Daily and weekly goals.
Motivational features.
Backup downloads.
Automatic downloads.
Google Calendar 2-way sync integration.
An email notification controls.
Centralized team billing.
It adds projects, labels, and filters to the favorites.
It adds and removes users easily.
The Todoist for Web changelog contains details for the web, plugin, and desktop versions of Todoist.

Cons

Not a straightforward way to sign up with an existing account on an Android app.
The trial requires a credit card info although it is easy to cancel.
An Android app does not move to the SD card.
Free version for Android lacks reminders/alerts.
It limits the list to 200 active projects and tasks per project in the premium version. It should be unlimited.
2048 characters per task name and 255 characters per project name It should be more than that.
The interface takes some time to master and lacks consistency.
The calendar feature is missing.
Personal and business lists are not plainly separated.

Arshad Z.
  • Industry: Philanthropy

The perfect life planner

Reviewed on 2018/07/26

Pros

- Amazing way to sort lists - you can have projects and labels (labels only available in the paid subscription). I am looking into the GTD model by David Allen and labels are used as "contexts" - meaning that I have things to do in certain environments or contexts. I have list for things I need to do in the office, or at home, or on the computer, or at the grocery store, or at my kid's school. Once you are in a particular context, you look to your label for things you need to do at that particular place
- Projects are a great way to organize yourself, having the ability to see updates for a particular project is really convenient
- A vast list of shortcuts to improve efficiency
-Drag and drop features make it convenient to sort your lists/projects
-Date reminder - as soon as you have an item to do and input a date/time, the app understands this and generates a reminder for the task at that particular date/time, which is really cool!
-Sharing projects - if someone else has the app, you can share a project in real time
- Can access the app across devices

Cons

-Dates - sometimes I don't want the date to be included as a reminder but the app always translates the date as such and would be nice if I could hit the backspace on the app and it would understand that it is not something I want as a reminder
-Checklists - would be good if Todoist integrated checklists like Google Keep where you can copy and paste lists from a text message and Todoist would interpret each line as a separate list item or give you the option to paste it as separate items or one list

Athar K.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Cross-Platform. Very Customizable. Tons of Integrations.

Reviewed on 2020/09/27

Overall, I recommend it over any other app for the reasons in my Pros section. It’s not perfect but it’s the best one out there.

Pros

I like that my tasks are available on every platform, I can customize it and assign project names, labels, due dates, etc. all from inline text. I also like that it has a nice bi-directional API for Zapier (unlike, say, OmniFocus.). That allows me to use it with Clio.

Cons

It is sometimes a bit too customizable which can lead to over management of unimportant aspects of tasks. I don’t like that there is no review option (like OmniFocus which does this very well). The alarms are not great. There is no default time for alarms and the reminders are not very persistent.

Eduardo A.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great tool to get organized, but it's not fully GTD compliant

Reviewed on 2021/02/27

Loved it when we first started using it, but we eventually switched to the competition when our organization started to grow.

Pros

Todoist has a clean interface that let's you focus on your tasks. It is super easy to get started and to import/export tasks.

Cons

If you're a GTD follower, it can get really tricky to set it up the way you want it. You have no clear way to input the desired outcome and the inbox as well as the weekly review is could be better. Also collaborating in teams is nearly imposible.

Great task management tool

Reviewed on 2020/09/26

Overall I think it's a good product and pay for the premium version for the additional features. I like it more than Microsoft ToDo or Toodledo.

Pros

I like the availability of the tool being online, mobile app, and even a Chrome app. My tasks are always available for me to review. There is a lot of customization to configure it how you like to work and prioritize. The company is constanly improving the product most recently implementing kanban functionality.

Cons

I have to make sure the Chrome app, how I like to use ToDoist when on my laptop, is synced and and updated. I need to make sure it's synced or I'll see previously completed tasks.

Randy H.

Excellent software, next-level features

Reviewed on 2020/02/19

My company offers a variety of services for our business clients, this means that each service has its own process to follow. Todoist allow us to separate each project neatly and keep track of all processes to execute in order to successfully fulfill a project for our clients.

Pros

The best thing about Todoist is the ease of use when deciding to add, assign and manage tasks. The software does a great job at limiting the amount of time it takes to create a series of tasks and subtasks to allow for a complete breakdown of a task. Todoist is comprehensive and offers the ability to create projects to separate personal and business tasks. I think the coolest feature of all is the ability to sync Todoist with your calendar. This is perfect because every tasks that you add on Todoist with a due date, is automatically synchronized to your calendar, and this makes it very easy to keep track of daily assignments and responsibilities.

Cons

There isn’t anything that I dislike about Todoist. I’ve been using the software for years and it’s made me a master at properly managing my life and work.

Joshua S.

Excellent product for GTD (Getting Things Done)

Reviewed on 2019/03/02

I am learning that not everything needs a deadline, my to do list will always be full, and that I can accomplish more than I thought.

Pros

This product is streamlined and integrates well with other products. The ability to organize your tasks on multiple levels is also nice. What I mean by multiple levels: you can organize in a standard list, that any task list app will do. However, you can also organize by tag. Why this is nice is that if you have multiple personal tasks (for example) across varying lists for time periods, you can instantly pull up all of your personal tasks. There is a wide combination of course of how suit this to your own needs.
Finally, the reminders are extremely helpful and make it easy to prioritize your upcoming tasks. I hardly ever forget anything now, since I instantly put it on my appropriate list and give it a due date (if appropriate).

Cons

I really hate to say this but I don't have any flaws to point out. I evaluated over five to-do list apps, in depth. (IQTell, Wunderlist, Google Tasks, Microsoft To Do, Asana, Evernote to name a few) This is the one I have been using now for over a year. A to do list is essential to my work so I was quite scrutiness in my evaluation.

Jake C.

Excellent Organizational Tool

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Overall Todoist is super easy to use, very functional, and I can't think of many people that wouldn't benefit from using this software. Go ahead and give it a try if you're on the fence, the trial is free. I'm certainly glad Todoist was recommended by me, and I've gotten tons of other coworkers onboard since I started using it myself, and everyone loves it.

Pros

If you know me, you know I LOVE organizing everything. Todoist is a very nice application that allows me to organize my projects, tasks, etc. at work to keep me sane. It's very simple but effective, as an organizational tool should be.

The price is plenty worth it for what you're given and the time it saves you by using it, plus the headaches it saves you from.

The free version might work for many, if the free version works for you then you're even more in luck. I pay but the price is minimal anyway, I do enjoy the extra features. Use the free version/free trial to see what's right for you.

Cons

It's nitpicky, but sometimes there is a little lag when marking off tasks as completed. This might annoy someone more anal than myself, ha.

I had to use outlook once for a certain client and encountered a couple errors, had to refresh. Luckily I don't often have to use outlook - but could be a consideration for someone other than me, so be wary if you use outlook exclusively (and I'm sorry if that's something you have to do!)

Elvis M.

My productivity increased drastically thanks to reminders, labels, and endless active...

Reviewed on 2018/07/29

Increased productivity and feel less overwhelmed completing tasks.

Pros

Todoist is free by default with optional premium features. This means you aren't forced to choose one option over the other from the get-go.

The ability to configure dozens of active projects suited for each day, all independent from one another.

Your tasks are synchronized across multiple devices so you can access them on the go.

Email and text notifications are crucial; Todoist handles this like a champ.

Configure recurring and advanced tasks whenever you wish, such as, "the third Monday starting in November."

Colored labeling and the ability to easily rearrange any task.

Sub-tasks and sub-projects mean that you can assign specific names to tasks that are similar in nature, and categorize them accordingly.

Highly competitive pricing.

Cons

Todoist can be overwhelming due to the vast amount of features. It's great for everyday usage; as a highly active person, however, you will likely need to read their documentation sooner or later.

• Industry: Libraries

Best to-do app out there

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Pros

Todoist is one of the few productivity apps that focuses on doing one thing really, really well. Lists are simple and everyone uses them, but Todoist is the only digital notes tool that fully unlocks their power. Basic users can create grocery lists and home improvement projects; advanced users can manage projects by creating tasks, assigning responsibility and deadlines, and measuring progress. Deceptively simple, but robust. Best priced premium features of any app out there.

Cons

I'm spoiled by apps giving away everything for free. I like Todoist's premium features and happily pay for them (especially considering they cost less than a coffee).

Ameer N.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Set daily and weekly targets, review patterns in productivity!

Reviewed on 2020/08/11

The overall experience is quite positive and satisfying .It change my life on daily basis. Earlier It hard for me to manage the task and time.In fact I didn't have the daily goals.I just do the work i remembered.

Pros

I get to know about it from a Youtube video .I was in desperate need ,just to make things done on time.If you completed all the due task then a screen popped up showing message "You're all done for today! #TodoistZero Enjoy your night". To be honest whenever I saw the message ,It gives me sense of relief and achievement. By any chance if you failed to complete the task ,it shows under inbox tag as overdue.You can even add the project as well as different collaborators to the projects. One more thing I like about it, is that there are different karma levels( from begineer to enlightened) .The more you complete your goal the higher karma level you reach.You can also reschedule your task for future.

Cons

It's bit expensive .You can only invites project collaborators who is in your contacts. Template requires an upgrade .If you using free version ,you cannot use basic feature like reminders.Sometime the amount of notification irritates you.

• Industry: Computer & Network Security

Stay on Track with Todoist

Reviewed on 2019/04/25

I have been using Todoist premium for about two years now. I started by using the software in an attempt to remind myself to complete one-time and routine basic tasks. I have since brought my wife on-board as a premium member for some work and career goals we have. I have also convinced my boss to sign-up for premium so we can share tasks. Prior to using Todoist, these tasks were getting buried and lost in email.

Pros

It is very helpful to be able to review completed tasks and to comment on them. This way, a task is not recreated with the thought that it never happened (particularly when assigning a task to another user). I also like the plain English input, such as assigning a task for "every Sunday." I've also studied some of David Allen's Getting Things Done, and Todoist can be used to follow this method. Last but not least, Todoist is supported on every device I own, which is a big plus.

Cons

There is nothing that I can think of that I don't like. I have tried a few other solutions in the past, but this one stands above the rest.

Nicole T.

Excellent Ongoing To Do List - If you keep up with it

Reviewed on 2018/07/14

Helped keep track of tasks when pen/paper wasn't convenient or viable across multiple teams and locations. Keeps you on task and gives you the little satisfaction of checking off something from your list. Keeps you focused on what you need to do rather than what others think you need to do, no more distractions!

Pros

Easy program with not a lot hidden under the surface - consider it your online notepad. Great for coming in and writing down everything you need to do, allows you to organize it by team, who is responsible, timeline, and a progress/series of tasks for more complicated jobs. You can connect multiple teams to accounts to see shared tasks, or create private lists for your eyes only. Has some gameification features built in to encourage regular use especially in a team environment - awards for completing multiple days of tasks, etc.

Cons

If you are a procrastinator, this might not be the program for you! If you don't regularly use the program and build it into your routine, be prepared to be overwhelmed with daily notification about how many tasks you need to do today, and how far you are behind! Can be a little overwhelming when things get busy and timelines fall behind, but to an experienced multi-tasker, this might alleviate forgetting some of those mundane tasks. Completely depends on who you are.

Maxwell (enmanuel) T.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Clean and Lean Task Management

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

Task management and more importantly scheduled reminders. I use todoist with the GTD core tenant of "getting stuff out of your head" and it really excels at quick capture of tasks and ideas.

Pros

Todoist focuses on what's important and the process of adding and organizing tasks is clean, streamlined and concise. I love the quick add feature on the Mac. The integration support to other platforms is also very robust. Team features are great too, assuming your team is willing to adopt the tool.

Cons

Both the desktop and mobile app could improve the way notifications are handled (after a task gets postponed the notification message won't pick that up). The most important thing is including a quick "snooze" option on the notifications, as sometimes I'm in the middle of something and it's cumbersome having to go into the app and push the reminder a few mins out.

Lekshmanan N.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Extremely helpful

Reviewed on 2019/10/14

We use todoist to track and manage todo tasks. Mainly for team collaboration and project management. Todoist helps me manage my team and projects better.

Pros

The team collaboration feature is what we liked the most.
Further, it has a 'karma's feature that shows how good you are at managing your tasks, this helps boost productivity.
It improved the productivity of our organization multi fold.

Cons

The only fact we disliked was it has a very small learning curve on using it.

Sean B.

Covers a lot of useful features, but misses some others

Reviewed on 2019/05/24

The fact that todoist offer so many integrations with other software services takes your productivity to the next level and you are only limited by your imagination, this has been the feature that keeps me coming back to todoist and I absolutely adore it for it.

Pros

The filtering system is incredibly useful to keep all your tasks organized. The best feature is the number of integrations this service provides as well as a public API. Using other services you can implement a way of getting a task into Todoist from literally ANYWHERE. The app is also multi-platform which is great. There is a lot of content online outlining different ways of using Todoist effectively. Also really decently priced.

Cons

No kanban card option to view tasks (windows only), the sub-task system is somewhat convoluted and limited in functionally, compared to other options.

Worth every penny--it runs my entire life.

Reviewed on 2020/04/07

I can't live without it. My lists and nests of lists with attachments, photos, reminders, and just information stashed in there is how I run my entire life.

Pros

I am a very busy business owner with ADD and a million clients and deadlines. Todoist premium keeps me completely on track with everything I need to do for business and my personal life. I use it in conjuction with the getting things done method. I prefer to use it even as a collaborative software with work and personal lives.

Cons

The price is a bit steep, but I can't live without it. I pay it every year without blinking and keep on rolling. It runs my life and I love it.

Rick P.

By far the most powerful free To-do -list app around

Reviewed on 2018/04/20

Pros

Free tier is plenty powerful, with unlimited projects and tasks, a useful selection of filters and labels, a couple Chrome extensions, a Chrome app, apps for all platforms and devices. Many folks will be fine with the free version, but to get e-mail reminders or app notifications, plus custom labels and filters, you'll need to upgrade, and you'll want to. But the Premium version is cheap so it's a no-brainer. The app is intuitive and a joy to use. It integrates with my natural workflow easily, which is not something I can say about any of the other to-do list apps I've tried.

Cons

Hmmm, that's a hard one. Maybe the app could be prettier? It is a little staid in monochrome, no? Paying to get reminders might irritate some folks but in order to keep this gem around, we oughta pay for it, I think.

Adam A.

This is everything you will ever need for tasks

Reviewed on 2019/01/09

It is my favourite to do list app. Do not even want to look for a better one. Highly recommended.

Pros

- It runs on every platform (web, mobile, pc, mac).
- Great motivation functions (#todoistzero, karma points).
- Lots of articles for users with tips on how to improve productivity.
- You can group tasks in projects.
- You can use tags and filters to see specific tasks.
- Great minimalistic user interface.
- The awesome user experience on mobile apps, I love it.
- 4 priorities for tasks.
- You can use something similar to Markdown in task name and comments.
- You can share and collaborate on tasks and projects with others.

Cons

I was thinking for a few minutes on what are cons of this app. Did not found. There was few in the past, but they fixed it when improving the user experience in the mobile app.

Steve C.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Todoist - an Excellent Tool!

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Time management and prioritization of tasks are the main obstacles that Todoist has helped me overcome. It was a little time-consuming at first to set up Todoist, but once I had done so, it proved to be very helpful in getting my tasks done in a timely manner.

Pros

I love the way Todoist helps me organize my upcoming tasks and projects. I especially like the ability to color-code and prioritize tasks.

Cons

I wish it was more easily integrated with my gmail account, particularly with my Google calendar.

Lillian G.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

I like being able to categorize each task

Reviewed on 2021/04/15

Todoist has been useful in my own and work-life and keeping partition and association between both in one spot. it's huge loads of reconciliations and fits out and out my biological system of applications and instruments. it had been acquainted with me by one among the time the board masters I follow. It expects time to arrange it, yet whenever you've done it. It works in a wonderful and bright manner.

Pros

I love that you essentially can add generally speaking undertakings to your inbox yet in addition mark them with dates for culmination. you'll likewise put them inside the "board view" and see precisely what errands had the opportunity to be cleared out soon. It classifies your work process and separate customer projects from each other.

Cons

The interface is frequently a touch occupied at first, yet it clears up once you get a framework in situ for yourself. there's practically zero to whine about with the application and out of entryways of very essential highlights, I discovered a couple of cons.