Competitor Analysis? No problemo

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

SpyFu provides you with tons of data about any website you enter. It all comes down to how you use that information to improve your website's ranking and SERPs. The tool itself is great.

Pros

I have been using SpyFu for years now. It is one of the best competitor analysis tools out there. I mainly use it to see for what keywords my competitors rank for and where they get their backlinks from. This is, however, just the basics. You can do a lot more with SpyFu.

1. Find keywords for PPC. See what keywords your competitor is targeting in a PPC campaign and what it is paying for those keywords.
2.AdWords analysis will give you an overview of any website's AdWords campaign and how it is going for them.
3. SERP analysis is another great area where SpyFu will help you identify keywords and SERP position of your competitors.

Cons

1. Most often, the data that SpyFu pulls is outdated. This is one area where they need to work.
2. You get to see PPC details of AdWords only. No Facebook, Bing, or other PPC networks.

Bharath A.

Excellent Tool for Competitor Analysis

Reviewed on 2018/05/06

Pros

I love the accuracy with which it shows the list of organic and paid keywords of my competitors. I also love the ad history feature where I can see the ad copies of my competitors. AsWords Advisor feature that recommends new keywords to bid for is also quite handy.

Overall, it's an excellent tool to see what competitors are doing. Even while bidding for new keywords, it helps to see other ad copies that are working.

Cons

While the tool is great, it's not complete. I mean if you want to just sign up one tool for your marketing team, this won't be enough. You'll need another tool like SEMRush or ahrefs. Though their competitor research features are not as as good as SpyFu's, they have wider features like backlink audit, technical SEO audit etc.

Stacey B.

Great!

Reviewed on 2018/01/19

We use this regularly and it helps us to keep a good ides of how our company is doing in comparison.

Pros

Our company has been utilizing this site for some time now and is has been very helpful to have a good idea of comparison for other company's like us.

Randy j L.

Great SEO Tool Value

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

When I need something that I cannot find, their customer support is there. I've enjoyed using SpyFu over the past 3 years and will continue using is as one of my SEO and AdWord tools.

Pros

In comparison to other Ad and SEO tools, SpyFu offers a lot of great analytics. I like using it before taking on new clients to compare SEO and Ads. It also provides a great AdWords template to get started and the monthly reports and monitoring is good. Great value and tools!

Cons

I wish it offered more local business tooling but I've found work-arounds to get what I need before starting a new project.

Simply amazing competitor research tool

Reviewed on 2018/10/30

Spyfu has been been an important tool in setrting up and maintaining many client projects. We utilize the research tools on a weekly if not daily basis. Highly recommended for the price.

Pros

Very easy to find out what keywords that my competitors are organically ranking for or paying for. Also a great tool for finding competitor backlinks. The shared keywords featur is also nice to see how I stand along with my competitors.

Cons

I find that the competitors recommended by Spyfu are not always that accurate, it is best to do research against the competitors you have already identified. Local research is also a little bit light unless you are researching a major metropolitan.

Talmage E.
  • Industry: Human Resources
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Best Value SEO and SEM Tool Available

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

Spyfu's best feature is its price. It's unbeatable! If I were to subscribe to only one SEO/SEM tool. It would be Spyfu.

Pros

I like the ability to see my competitors paid search ads. It's usually my first stop when starting a new campaign. I go to SpyFu to spark ideas and to validate my own ideas.

Cons

It's not my favorite link building tool. I think you need the resources of an Ahrefs or SEMrush to get the most accurate insights.

• Industry: Telecommunications

Good Competitive Metrics.

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

Pros

Good Reporting tool on overall visibility.

Cons

Not as robust as some of the other paid tools like SEM Rush of Moz. You can get alot of this data directly out of Analytics and Adwords.

This is a great research tool for marketers - tons of info

Reviewed on 2018/01/31

Pros

I love the "kombat" mode that gives you an idea of how competitors stack up and also provides you with unique things they are doing (i.e. keywords they rank for that you don't)

Cons

Sometimes you have to run multiple reports to get the info you want across competitors as there are limits on how many you can compare at once.

Great tool to spy on your competitors

Reviewed on 2018/05/11

Easy way to spy on your competitors.

Pros

Great tool to find competitors keywords and their ads. You get good insight into your competitors. I would recommend this service to anyone.

Cons

There are some websites which are missing in their database so I can't get any info on their campaigns.

Krupali M.

Know your competitors and get on track

Reviewed on 2018/12/16

Calculating PPC budget is really easy using SpyFu and hence that is one of the business problems that i am solving using SpyFu and above all Keyword Research has become really easy after I started using SPyfu.

Pros

Competitor Research is the best part of SpyFu. It is a user-friendly software, unlike other SEO tools. I can easily know my competitor's most ranking and useful keywords using SpyFu.

Cons

Spyfu gives me limited results when it comes to local keyword research.

Catherine C.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Great way to keep an eye on the competition!

Reviewed on 2017/08/09

Pros

SpyFu is easy to use, gives lots of useful information about our competition and fits within my budget.

Cons

Information overload. Sometimes data can be hard to glean the big picture at first glance and a bit overwhelming.

Great Domain Research Tool

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Pros

Love the PDF reports you can generate and customize with different data.

Cons

Not enough keyword research elements for what we needed.

Zara I.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Keyword Tool

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

I was using it for my Digital Marketing business to find keywords for clients ad campaigns.

Pros

It has a lot of functions and I like the fact you can track keywords with it. I also found the reporting aspect was very good and gave clear data which I could share with my customers.

Cons

I decided to go with other tools as I could get a lot of the data from free tools and didn't really need to spend the money on this one.

Shawn H.

SPyFu for the WIN

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Great business, met the incredible CEO and believe in the product, it has been great working with them and love the data they provide to us.

Pros

It gives you great insight into your competition and your competitors competition. It helps us make an educated guess based on real analytics to help improve our site and our client's site.

Cons

It can be pretty expensive but it's ultimately worth it in ROI. I've used it for much more than it actually is and I have found ways to make it better.

Intuitive tool to get up to speed with competitors

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

It's very a useful tool to keep track of competitors' performance.

Pros

It performs its main purpose well, enabling a quick outlook at competitors' performance across a series of well-defined KPIs.

Cons

There are often times where SpyFu fails to show any metrics at all in cases where it should. It doesn't seem like a bug but rather a lack of info. Perhaps they will expand on this in the future.

Clay S.
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Spyfu is awesome!

Reviewed on 2019/04/23

Pros

They have a great ability to do competitive research for search campaigns easily and for the lowest price by far that I have seen.

Cons

The only thing I wish they had was more data on display campaigns.

Response from SpyFu

Thanks for taking the time to share a review. We appreciate the feedback on display campaigns and will pass it along to the team.

Sunil K.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Good Keyword tool but lots of improvement required

Reviewed on 2018/02/09

Pros

This keyword tool is very useful if you are targeting US and other regions. It gives almost exact Avg.CPC estimations.

Cons

This tool isn't good for Indian market, I am not satisfied with the keywords results and average cpc.

• Industry: Commercial Real Estate
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Lots of broken features

Reviewed on 2020/07/24

I have had a negative experience and will not be using SpyFu in the future.

Pros

More affordable than its competitors, Spyfu is the poor man's SEMrush. I think they use the SEMrush API--so its literally the same thing.

Cons

Lots of features that were promised in the demo video were outright lies. Link importing doesn't work, finding contacts doesn't work or hasn't worked yet for me.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. I'm sorry that your experience was below par. I noticed that you had used the free version of the tool. We do not have a free trial like what you come to expect from other tools. Instead we offer unending free access with limits on the results. Anyone can use it for as long as they'd like. I wonder if that limited version kept you from accessing the premium features that you wanted to see?

Michael B.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

SpyFu - Great for SEO's Slightly Less Great for PPC's.

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

Generally speaking, SpyFu has been great, it's a powerful tool, and often you'll run into clients who require this level of analysis both organically, and paid. I've come back time and time again over the last 10 years or so.

Pros

The UI is easy to navigate, and lots of ways to continue your search via finding more competitors, and looking at their competitors and so on. On the SEO side, this software is fairly indespensible, though it has competitors which do similar things at different price points. SpyFu however has been my go-to for many years, and having tested many of the competing products, especially during darker times for SEO many years ago, SpyFu did a quick job of staying current, which is one of the most important things for software like this. When there's changes to algorithms, or how we gather data, who's the most reliable source to get you that info? SpyFu has been that for me.

Cons

Generally the cost is prohibitive. More PPC level insights would be useful, but really they're working off whatever data they can get access to, and do a fairly good job of it. The only downside is many of the old Landing pages are not cached or visualized so when you click on the link to view the competitor's page, it doesnt exist more often than not. This feels like a huge waste of time.

Giorgi G.
  • Industry: Tobacco

Full of actionable information for SEO!

Reviewed on 2018/10/14

Overall, this is a very good first-to-go-to tool when you start a project to see how the existing competitors are doing and then accordingly create the strategy. Though, not only for the starting project, but can also be used for existing project analysis. It helped with analyse to see the loopholes that were harming rankings lots of time.

Pros

This is the best SEO analysis tool out there when it comes to watching what's the SEO market's current situation to understand how to start optimizing your website for the best possible start. Before launching any website or project, SpyFu is one of the first tools I go to to analyze the competitors, where they spend money, how are their currenty rankings, what keywords they use or rank for, etc. I sometimes even use its backlinks checker of the competitors with Ahrefs and while cross checking it always gives the reliable data. What's more, the reporting section or the reports itself are very good. They are intuitive and very easy to understand, which makes it easy to present to third-party who doesn't understand much of SEO. Makes life easier!

Cons

A bit more flexibility on the data aggregation in reports would be good. Also, it would be awesome if the developers focused on the local research slightly more.

Sharifah H.

Nothing Like Being Able to Spy on the Competition

Reviewed on 2019/08/29

I have a wonderful experience with SpyFu. It changed my life for the better.

Pros

With SpyFu I can see what my competition is doing and not have to recreate the wheel. SpyFu makes adding keywords and advertising campaigns a snap.

Cons

I really love this software. There are some in the industry that try to compete but this one is by far the best.

'rowdie' mitch G.

Amazing product, helps get valuable insights for a great price.

Reviewed on 2018/08/01

Pros

I really love the ability to quickly find information for ad campaigns while both sitting with prospective buyers, and for my team to use to optimize campaigns.

Cons

I have no cons about this product, does what it says it will do. Also the pricing is very reasonable for great campaigns & insights.

Jason B.

Great Competitor Analysis Tool

Reviewed on 2018/06/11

If you need to compare your company to your industry, this is 100% the way to do that.

Pros

I mostly use this tool for competitor analysis and it is fantastic. We constantly get new keywords and ad copy from SpyFu while looking at our competitors in our industry. I also use this for working with new clients. It helps me gain perspective on any industry.

Cons

There really isn't anything that I do not like about this software. I have recommended it to many people who own and run businesses and it works very well.

best keyword research tool

Reviewed on 2018/01/30

Pros

allows me to quickly access information about keywords and ppc history relevant to our clients. can print reports too!

Cons

the information does not match reality about 50% of the time. i understand it's hard getting this data but i get disappointed

Danny C.

Great PPC/SEO Tool for Competitive Insights

Reviewed on 2018/03/13

Competitive insights

Pros

SpyFu provides me with a birds-eye view of competition. This allows me to benchmark spend & performance, without spending a lot of time. Great tool!

Cons

I do notice that the projections of competitor spend on PPC/SEO are not 1:1. It gives more of an accurate ratio than an actual amount. That being said, it is still great to take insights from. Just know that the $ amounts are not 1:1!