SpyFu

SEO and advertising research tools

Yash
Yash
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Best website to keep an eye on competitors

Reviewed on 2023/02/12

My experience with Spy Fu is amazing where we can gather the data and insights and plan our strategies for our SEO & PPC campaigns.

Pros

I like this amazing feature of tracking the competitors so that I can create my strategies and execute it perfectly.

Cons

I feel the availability of some important metrics like CTR and SERP position can be added here.

Competitor Analysis? No problemo

Reviewed on 2018/11/07

SpyFu provides you with tons of data about any website you enter. It all comes down to how you use that information to improve your website's ranking and SERPs. The tool itself is great.

Pros

I have been using SpyFu for years now. It is one of the best competitor analysis tools out there. I mainly use it to see for what keywords my competitors rank for and where they get their backlinks from. This is, however, just the basics. You can do a lot more with SpyFu.

1. Find keywords for PPC. See what keywords your competitor is targeting in a PPC campaign and what it is paying for those keywords.
2.AdWords analysis will give you an overview of any website's AdWords campaign and how it is going for them.
3. SERP analysis is another great area where SpyFu will help you identify keywords and SERP position of your competitors.

Cons

1. Most often, the data that SpyFu pulls is outdated. This is one area where they need to work.
2. You get to see PPC details of AdWords only. No Facebook, Bing, or other PPC networks.

• Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Analyse the competition

Reviewed on 2019/02/04

I think SpyFu should be an essential part of your standard SEO Tool Set

I think SpyFu should be an essential part of your standard SEO Tool Set

Pros

I can easily gauge what my competitors are focusing on in terms of Keywords for their website, but also at the same time finding new ideas and potential niche's for your site. I am also a fan of the custom branding reports which allow you to offer SEO Rerporting as part of your service.

Cons

At times I found the UI to be a little bit overwhelming, due to the large number of information that is displayed to the end user.

SpyFu Review

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

I use SpyFu on a daily basis as a consultant. This tool makes it easy to use whether the client has decided to purchase the full paid version or continue using the free version. It makes it very easy to improve a clients meta-data, investigate into their keywords or potential Adwords that would improve their paid ads or PPC, or analyze their competitors and improve their SEO overall.

Pros

SpyFu is a fantastic search analytics tool. One of my favorite things is the features that this analytics tool gives you in their free version. They for starters have a fantastic keyword search tool. It gives fantastic keyword analytics for competitors, adwords buys and comparisons to what purchases your competitors have made. It also gives great keyword groupings for a domain or a specific keyword or search phrase. SpyFu also gives great SEO tools that make it easy to optimize your website from the paid version, but also from the fantastic free version as well.

Cons

I personally have not encountered many issues with this software. I personally love the tools that it gives. The only con I personally have is their free version has some limitations but their paid version is well worth the investment.

Our go to for SEO & PPC

Reviewed on 2021/03/04

Personally I think a tool like SpyFu is a must have to for PPC and SEO. Its unique advantage is that it allows you to compare how you're doing to competitors. This is something we check rather often to make sure that we're doing what we can to stand out.

Pros

Great tool for competitive research and keyword research. It lets us know how we're doing in comparison to our competitors. Also, when we're planning for new keywords, we always plug them in here to help determine the search volume and relevance. The tool is also rather inexpensive and provides us with a lot of value. We also got to see competitor ad copy, which helped us remain competitive.

Cons

The interface took some getting used to in the beginning. There was a rather steep learning curve when we first started using the platform so make sure to do your research to ensure you're using it correctly!

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for sharing your experience using SpyFu! It sounds like you covered a lot of ground with many different features. Also we have added on-page help (tutorials, glossary, videos, tours) to help users get up to speed across the site. I hope that helps for future tools.

Carlos Fernando
Carlos Fernando

Spyfu brings you a wealth of knowledge

Reviewed on 2023/03/21

It served us well. It is a good tool that goes into the depths of detail

It served us well. It is a good tool that goes into the depths of detail

Pros

The competitor info. It was highly detailed and basically told you the actions they were taken. It allowed us to learn a lot from the high performers

Cons

It was tough to navigate at times. The reports where huge and you'd have to go tab to tab. The general summary wasn't good enough

Jason
Jason

Great Competitor Analysis Tool

Reviewed on 2018/06/11

If you need to compare your company to your industry, this is 100% the way to do that.

Pros

I mostly use this tool for competitor analysis and it is fantastic. We constantly get new keywords and ad copy from SpyFu while looking at our competitors in our industry. I also use this for working with new clients. It helps me gain perspective on any industry.

Cons

There really isn't anything that I do not like about this software. I have recommended it to many people who own and run businesses and it works very well.

Joel
Joel
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

The Tool Puts Your Team In Vantage Position In The Market

Reviewed on 2021/09/24

Spyfu is a lifesaver to my organization in that it has put us a step ahead of our major rivals in the market space. My organisation marketing budget is now lower because of the precision target view advantage that Spyfu has given us over time.

Pros

I like the great insight that Spyfu has given my organisation in taking a deep peek at what our competitors are up to. The success rate of our marketing campaigns has increased greatly since we started using Spyfu.

Cons

Spyfu is a bit tasking when it comes to understanding totally how it functions. I had to conduct training before my team could start to use it.

Response from SpyFu

Cheers to your team for cutting costs brilliantly while getting ahead of your major rivals. Thank you for taking the time to share a review of SpyFu!

John
John

Great Tool for Spying on Competitor Rankings and More

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

One of the easiest and most pleasing competitor keyword research tools that I've used over the past 10-years.

Pros

At first, I liked that SpyFu was free and offered a tremendous amount of information about my competitors. Now, as a long time user, I enjoy the depth of information that it brings to my fingertips.

Cons

From quality to value there are no Cons when it comes to SpyFu and the benefits it offers.

Krupali
Krupali

Know your competitors and get on track

Reviewed on 2018/12/16

Calculating PPC budget is really easy using SpyFu and hence that is one of the business problems that i am solving using SpyFu and above all Keyword Research has become really easy after I started using SPyfu.

Pros

Competitor Research is the best part of SpyFu. It is a user-friendly software, unlike other SEO tools. I can easily know my competitor's most ranking and useful keywords using SpyFu.

Cons

Spyfu gives me limited results when it comes to local keyword research.

Berke
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Backlink Monitoring and Competitor Analysis with SpyFu

Reviewed on 2022/10/04

Pros

SpyFu is really good at keyword tracking and performance metric dashboard. You can set your competitors to understand their performance. It is helpful to understand your organic performance with it's dashboard and helps you with reporting.

Cons

Backlink monitoring and competitor analysis are good but they should improve their feature to have more customers and proper data.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! We're glad to hear that SpyFu has been a helpful addition to your marketing tool set.

Mert

Backling Monitoring & SEO Management with SpyFu

Reviewed on 2022/08/15

I used SpyFu over 5 months to understand my website analytics and SEO management. SpyFu is helpful tool for understanding your SEO strategy and competitors one.

Pros

SpyFu is important tool for understanding SEO management and marketing strategy. It is easy to implement the tool for 3rd party integration and you can use it for keyword research.

Cons

SpyFu is helpful tool but it is important to have fresh data for SEO tools, SpyFu has it but they should develop it more.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for your review, Mert! We're happy to hear how you've used it to boost your SEO and for keyword research.

Nirav
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Spy on SEO of your competitors using SpyFu

Reviewed on 2022/10/15

SpyFu is built with the best SEO fundamentals to help researchers get the maximum out of it. The user flow is well managed.

Pros

It gives a seamless user experience while researching keywords. The platform helps you explore new keywords along with monthly volume and trends. The pricing is on the budget-friendly side. Other equivalent tools are costly.

Cons

There is nothing that I can think about.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for your excellent review, Nirav! We're so happy to be a trusted part of your keyword research.

Makes the basics accessible

Reviewed on 2022/04/06

Very positive experience. It got us where we needed to go. Only when we needed hyper-specific information for a large client did we turn to Semrush.

Pros

SpyFu was our first foray into competitive analysis/tracking software. Setup and ongoing use are extremely simple. There's no tribal knowledge or tricks to the trade – what you see is what you get. There's huge equity there.

Cons

The feature set and really deep analysis doesn't stand up to Semrush and Moz. Those are far more expensive, but you end up graduating to them at a certain level.

Response from SpyFu

Thank you for your review! It's helpful to see experienced perspective. Thanks for sharing it.

Stacey

Great!

Reviewed on 2018/01/19

We use this regularly and it helps us to keep a good ides of how our company is doing in comparison.

Pros

Our company has been utilizing this site for some time now and is has been very helpful to have a good idea of comparison for other company's like us.

Providing us High Quality SEM Keywords

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Helps me get more keywords to bid against without doing too much research.

Helps me get more keywords to bid against without doing too much research.

Pros

Really useful to get ideas from competitors. A little bit more complicated than one click, but it gives me good direction to do more research. Combined with SEMRush or something similar, you can get a lot of intel.

Cons

Put more emphasis into your core differentiator, the PPC research tool. Also, a high level report on what's important/best recommendations would make it easier for me to use.

best keyword research tool

Reviewed on 2018/01/30

Pros

allows me to quickly access information about keywords and ppc history relevant to our clients. can print reports too!

Cons

the information does not match reality about 50% of the time. i understand it's hard getting this data but i get disappointed

Danny

Great PPC/SEO Tool for Competitive Insights

Reviewed on 2018/03/13

Competitive insights

Competitive insights

Pros

SpyFu provides me with a birds-eye view of competition. This allows me to benchmark spend & performance, without spending a lot of time. Great tool!

Cons

I do notice that the projections of competitor spend on PPC/SEO are not 1:1. It gives more of an accurate ratio than an actual amount. That being said, it is still great to take insights from. Just know that the $ amounts are not 1:1!

Kyle

Great Search Engine Marketing / Keyword Research Tool

Reviewed on 2019/03/29

Pros

Very easy to use interface and gives useful information to incorporate into paid campaigns. Very easy cancellation process too, if the need arises.

Cons

Sometimes the data can be a bit "off", but I understand there are limitations to the information they can collect on competitors.

Response from SpyFu

Thanks for taking the time to share a review, Kyle!

Kathy
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Taking out the guesswork

Reviewed on 2022/07/14

Pros

I really enjoyed the transparency of the SEO and the straight forward access to backlink strategies. It has helped me so much when researching the market competitions. SpyFu was an essential asset for me when I first started my brand, and still very useful to this day.

Cons

There is not much to dislike about this software, except that the monthly subscription is slightly expensive.

Neal

Great insights when speaking to potential clients

Reviewed on 2019/12/20

Pros

The insights it provides on ad spend for competitors of my prospects.

Cons

Limitations of the free tools. We ended up paying, but for what we were using it for it didn't seem like we were getting the full use of it. I can't really complain about that though. They've got to make money somehow.

I absolutely love this program it helps me so much when discussing sales calls with potential...

Reviewed on 2017/11/22

The benefit I get from this software is that it helps me Benchmark where a client should be spending their PPC dollars.

Pros

I love that they also send you videos of how to use their software in different ways. The production of these are about 3 to 5 minutes which is the perfect length for me to be able to listen to them while I'm doing other work to understand the software better.

Cons

I would say it's a little Limited in some respects to what you can do with scoping out competitor SEO functionality, it's mostly about the PPC spend anyways though.

Dwight
Dwight
  • Used for 2+ years

Strong SEO and PPC

Reviewed on 2018/11/28

Pros

There is a lot of automation in the set-up that builds out the information that can be useful to your campaigns. Great guides to help you understand search and SEO better.

Cons

Some complexities, pricing is a little high.

Zack
Zack

SpyFu - Great tool, little clunky

Reviewed on 2021/12/10

Great tool, but with some room for improvement on the campaign management side.

Great tool, but with some room for improvement on the campaign management side.

Pros

The research aspects of spyfu are great. You can do keyword research and acquire critical data that can be used to make informed decisions on your SEO/PPC campaigns.

Cons

The "campaign" setups are clunky and don't seem very user friendly. The keywords update at random times and after talking with support, doesn't update in real time.

Good tool. Do you even need to pay for it?

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Still like it. Still use the free tool, but often spend my money elsewhere.

Still like it. Still use the free tool, but often spend my money elsewhere.

Pros

I have used this tool for a lot of years, and most of the time just for the info that you can get for free. When I have had a paid account it is valuable, but it seems like they fall behind, evidenced most by the design of their site.

Cons

You can trust it, but it makes me wonder how accurate they are being. Again, update your site and look and feel, or else die with the rest of the decade-old sites.