Moodle Reviews

Moodle

Free, open-source LMS for educators, admins & learners

4.2/5 (989 reviews)

An easy and practical virtual way for distance education

Reviewed on 2019/03/07

Moodle, allows to offer an exchange space in activities for learning, these can be online or as a support for content management without using the web interface, also through the platform you can create private forums to stimulate discussions online or used as the main interface to perform exams and assessments.

Pros

This tool is also designed in free software is a multimedia program that explores the way to generate virtual ways of quality distance education through its virtual environments, the tool is one of the most used for this type of tasks or activities one of its positive elements is in creating private virtual environments where a group of students with their teacher interact online, which after defining the role of administrator capable of creating subjects and administrator, with the role of teacher with permission or without permissions allows to generate the educational base necessary to fulfill a course. Another positive aspect is the ease of making or creating questionnaires by subjects to facilitate the teaching-learning process and the different evaluative uses necessary to assess the student's progress.

Cons

The tool presents standardized content which prevents differentiating the treatment between advanced and regular students, as well as presenting differentiated content since when the group is created a signature and the access role all share the information according to the profile held by the participants, as to the interface this is not very friendly with the students since it does not have an iconography that facilitates the identification of the different options besides the menus are not intuitive that does not generate a pattern of habit on the actions within the program. layout is similar to a normal blog something that in my opinion could be improved to take more advantage of the online application.

Flexible for designers, teachers and students

Reviewed on 2019/01/10

Pros

As an online learning designer, Moodle is a fantastic tool because it integrates multiple options for learning and collaboration between both on and off campus students. It is incredibly flexible with a plethora of both simple and advanced features which can be integrated at a teacher’s preference, and the entire teaching experience can be run through the system. It’s agile enough to integrate with multiple external software systems so is less restrictive than some LMS systems.
The interface can be configured to suit individual institutions or teaching and allows a teacher to monitor all activity.
As a course designer, Moodle Analytics are extremely valuable because I can see exactly what parts of the course are being accessed, how often, and if they are being completed. This allows me to know if individual components of the course are beneficial to learning or if it needs changing or replacing, without the risk of violating student or institution privacy.
When working for an institution that is a Moodle partner, I like the opportunity to help shape Moodle’s future by offering submissions direct to the designers.

Cons

Whenever updates for Moodle are released (six monthly) there are always some problems with existing content, especially with non-standard features that have been designed exclusively for a course or institution. Sometimes they are not immediately evident and can cause issues during the teaching period.
Moodle is a very large, powerful system, so it can take considerable time to understand it well enough to be confident designing and teaching courses. Also, if support staff are not on hand it can be difficult to resolve issues or find ways to integrate special requests from teachers.

Moodle has been one of the best tools I have ever implemented in my high school courses!

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

I think I stated most if not all the benefits in the "pro" section.

It's a great time saver once courses are set up.
I can see the stats on my students' involvement with the various parts of it.
I can cut down paper work by having files submitted electronically.
I can use rubrics of my own design to quickly grade programming assignments
I can mark up PDF submissions on the screen to give feedback.
I can moderate discussions and teach students how to speak in a forum setting.
I can provide more opportunities for students to think and produce more creatively.
I can enjoy creating my own materials!

Pros

Moodle allows me to provided a blended learning environment for my students. I use it for AP Statistics, AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles, and Integrated Math 1. I can post assignment schedules, additional readings, links to off-site materials, etc. just as I did in my web pages in the past. However, it also allows me to assign "lessons" that my students do interactively online, discussion boards where they have to write their thoughts coherently, and assignments where students upload files for me to review and grade.

It has become an important communication tool for me to use with both students and parents outside school hours. No student can say they forgot their book at school or don't remember the assignment because texts and assignments are online in Moodle. Parents can see what their students are doing in my class academically and not just the grades they receive.

Moodle has become more important to my teaching than the textbook. All resources can be found in one place and students can interact with the materials, each other, and me in class and outside class.

We have even implemented a computer lab and device reservation system for teachers in Moodle which has saved our librarians a ton of hours of work each week.

Cons

Moodle is not intuitive to the novice. It took some time for me to learn how to use its many features and implement them well. I have been doing this for at least 8 years, but I am still learning more about the system and its capabilities.

As the server administrator, doing upgrades has always been problematic. I don't think an upgrade has ever gone smoothly. The reason I stick with it is because I haven't found a LMS that can offer me as much as Moodle. Plus, it's free and we can run it in-house.

Vashi T.

Moodle as a student and administrator

Reviewed on 2018/03/03
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

There is not really any cons about Moodle. It is a highly satisfying product that is worth a try.

Pros

First: It is free!

As a student: it has easy navigation, provides a dashboard with all the related courses currently enrolled, it has a calendar on the right highlighting all the upcoming submission dates. It also notifies us about the upcoming events the lecture has set. All the information are arranged in a neat format. It shows the online users. It has portfolio option, makes it easy to keep track of all our works. It also has email facilities so we can email other users.

As an administrator: There is so many features incorporated in Moodle! The teacher has the power to design the moodle course in however way they want: It integrates SCORM packages, documents, videos, links, quiz, different grading systems (average/individual) and the grade history of the students on the platform. The teacher also has the flexibility to program when to make one lesson visible (by presetting the time and date), when to close assignment submission past deadline automatically, or to create specific forums and events. One can use moodle to run a class or to act as a learning repertoire. There is also the option to add a chat room for a particular lesson. What I also appreciate is the feature to monitor course participation and activity log report of students. By including keys to the lessons, we can control who we give access to the contents on the forum. Thus it can either be open contents or private. The power lies in the hands of the administrator.

Cons

The chat feature should be an in-built feature rather than a pop-out screen available only when the administrator adds it as part of a lesson.

Pamela A.

Moodle LMS - Administrator and Trainer Point of View

Reviewed on 2015/02/26
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

There are lots and lots of resources for help. Almost every page on the Moodle site has a link at the bottom of it taking you to the specific documentation of what you are working with. Moodle has a huge community of worldwide users that are extremely responsive to user forums, so help is literally a couple of clicks away.

Moodle is easy to figure out, even if you have never used and LMS. The site I currently administrate is at http://classes.ala.org. As you land on the homepage, you will see the list of our different divisions who offer online courses. We do this using the categories feature, allowing each of our separate divisions to be represented on the single ALA site. What you might also notice is that the login for the site is a convenient eyebrow link. If you click it, there are a variety of options for setting up your own guest credentials in addition to signing in with your official credentials granted by one of the administrators.

Most user issues are simple to troubleshoot. Moodle's no nonsense layout and intuitive interaction makes it pretty straightforward to figure out user issues. Error messages tell you specifically what a problem is in plain English (or whatever language you want to set up). Most user problems are rights related in the system.

Moodle allows you to restore previous courses into new courses. The backup and restore feature pretty much does everything for you. Take out the user data from a backup and you can restore the previous version of a course into a brand new course with very little downtime.

Cons

Version 1.9 requires an older version of Java running in order to use the wysiwyg html editor (something that comes in handy for the introduction to the course and each section/Topic for the course) -- a version of Java is required, that if you are on Windows 7, has security issues that your Network Admin is probably blocking.

The workaround not having an html editor is to open your web content editor (we have Drupal and Dreamweaver) and then paste the code into the setting fields. It is not difficult to do, just inconvenient. I am sure the current version 2.6 has this capability and more that we are waiting to upgrade to.
You have to dig a bit to get to the settings and permissions for specific activities. For example, a common user issue is with Student access to a forum. It is not obvious that some forums are specifically for teacher announcements (meaning that students aren't able to respond, just read the announcements). By the time I get issue, the course creator has a dozen or so forums setup with participants already subscribed, which means that it is easier for me to go into each forum and override the native rights. When you have scores of courses running each containing a dozen or more forums that each need to have permissions touched, it is a lot of work from the admin point of view. The lighter side is that with the proper training, or sandbox playing, creators can discover this nuance before its' too late.
The native chat activity doesn't really work in version 1.9. We use FlashChat by Host123 when our course leaders need a course chat room.
In version 1.9, there is not a lot of wiggle room in changing the look and feel of the courses. You can add, subtract and move blocks around, you can assign a theme, but it is not the most modern look and feel.

Candace O.

My school has used Moodle for as long as I can remember, and it works well within our district!

Reviewed on 2018/07/19

Using Moodle has been--and continues to be--incredibly convenient for students and teachers alike in my district. Teachers can easily create online tests/quizzes that don't require the hassle of printing and making copies, then grading an entire stack of papers. Students can take the tests and quizzes with ease, and see the immediate results of the automatically-graded multiple choice questions (which saves teachers time, too!). Also, videos can be implanted into lessons, which is very convenient for pausing or rewinding at one's own pace if they zone out or don't understand the topic and need to hear the explanation again. My life as a student was made simpler with the use of Moodle, and I cannot recommend it enough!

Pros

Moodle makes online classwork incredibly easy to create (as a teacher), as well as simple to do and turn in (as a student). All the classes a student is enrolled in are clearly displayed, and classwork within each class is organized well. In addition, being able to immediately see how one did on a quiz/test (the multiple choice, at least) is very convenient.

Cons

When posting in a discussion/forum (my teachers called them "journal entries"), all students can see each other's responses. While this could be good for class discussion, it also makes it incredibly easy for a student to see another student's response, then copy and paste it as their own. (This happened with myself and another student, as she was copying my responses.) In smaller classrooms, this may not be much of an issue as it will be easy to spot, but in larger class sizes it can be easy for teachers to not remember every student's exact answer, and give the cheater the credit.

Mitchell B.

Moodle from a Helpdesk Perspective

Reviewed on 2015/02/27
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I have been supporting faculty and students for over four years on Moodle. One of the best features is the friendliness of the LMS environment. It is fairly easy to take an adult learner with minimal online experience from the login page to submitting assignments. The second aspect on my scale is usability. The LMS is simple enough to learn without a manual. To learn some of the advanced features may take sometime to discover unless you are utilizing the user guide and then it becomes a jumping point to enhance a course even more. Working and playing with the environment with a "seek and find" approach provides a great foundation for supporting various clients.

My institution uses the hosted environment, Moodlerooms. It is a great time and budget saver as we really cannot afford a full-time position and pay what should be paid to an individual and expect the environment to be up 99%+ and 24x7. One other advantage is planned updates every 6 months. Moodlerooms is typically one version behind which gives the Moodle community time to finish shaking out all the bugs.

Cons

The one thing I dislike about the vendor is the minimal number of add-in modules provided to the institutions. There are numerous add-ins out in the Moodle user world that could be an asset to our students but are not there because of the locked down environment provided by Moodlerooms.

Maria renee R.

Moodle helping e-learning

Reviewed on 2017/06/10
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Moodle is a very useful platform for e-learning. It has everything to teach online. I can recognize 3 levels of users for this software. - The administrator who is in charge to set up the environment and moodle experience for other users. - The teacher who is going to use tools to make an online course exciting, and - The student that will enjoy the course and participate in it though the collaborative tools. If you can do the work of the 2 first levels, congratulations, you are a Moodle expert.

Pros

- You can manage a whole school or university in the academic area with Moodle and for the administrative help you have a big list of choices to get plugins or ERPs compatible with Moodle.
- If you know how to use it is a wonderful experience for the teachers and students.
- Once that you have the course online, it is a beautiful tool.
- There is a lot of documentation and forums about Moodle that can help you to solve almost every issue that you will face using it.

Cons

- It's a free software but is difficult to install and maintain for a person who is not related with IT. So a good option is get it as a SaaS (software as a Service) paying for hosting and upgrades but having the experts doing it, so you can focus in the academic area.
- You have to learn how to use it properly and it takes time.
- Prepare a course is heavy and a hard work, there are some functionalities that could help us to do it easier, like be capable us to erase or move multiple objects at the same time.

Good for students

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

I have used it for years to upload assignments and track my grades. I like the instant feedback of grades if the professors are prompt in grading.

Pros

I like that I can track my grades, submit assignments in the drop boxes and take quizzes. this is a good program for keeping track of assignments weekly. I like the check box feature which allows me to check off files I have viewed or quizzes I have completed which allows me to not keep clicking on powerpoint files I have already downloaded.

Cons

I dislike how if you have an administrator of the page such as a professor who is not savvy with technology or does not keep up with the moodle page, it looks like you have a bad grade if certain things aren't entered correctly or if they haven't corrected things. It also has limitations of any online platform where the administrator doesn't make the file or quiz visible and then they have a hard time seeing why the students havent done the assignment. I only used canvas briefly, but I think it was slightly better in its ease of use, but I am not very familiar with moodle so it is hard to compare ease of use from the student prospective. The alerts and messaging system is a little clunky and I prefer to use email instead. you have to change your preferences or you will get way too many email notifications every time someone comments on a massive discussion post.

6.0/10
Larry J.

I built the server, installed the software and moodle runs flawless for many years.

Reviewed on 2017/11/08

Its Free, powerful and user friendly. It constantly get updates and improvements.

Pros

When installed on a good server and once it is setup, then leave it alone and it will run flawless. I update moodle every 6 months for security and feature improvements. It has not ever crashed on me. You have to follow the installation instructions exactly. Always create backups.

I use supermicro motherboards with xeon processors and lots of ram. We have a little over 200 college students and they like using it.

Some teachers say that Blackboard might have a few more features. Moodle is free and can do anthing we want.

The only extra apps we install in moodle is the attendance and collapsed topics. No problems with these.

We mainly use the default settings on the server install and also on moodle. We use one of the skins that come with it.

We have one person that creates the classes each semester and helps the teachers if they need it.

Once your classes are setup, you can copy them over for the next semester.

Cons

None that we have.

Basically stick with the basic setup. Do as little experimenting as possible with different addons. Then just let it run.

Ours only goes down when I install updates or a large power outtage.

From a Teaching Assistant point of view

Reviewed on 2019/02/13

Personally I really enjoy Moodle because it eliminates a lot of the excuses that students made in the past (losing papers, not writing stuff down). We provide them with the material and they are responsible for it. It also allows us to encourage discussion that we can then see the result of, allowing us to monitor how well students are understanding the course material.

Pros

I used Moodle from a TA point of view for university level courses. I liked it because I was able to upload powerpoint presentations, documents and other handouts for students to download on their own. This made material distribution easier because students can't lose handouts. Further, I like that students are able to refer to notes that are prepared by me, allowing them to pay more attention in the classroom, rather than madly writing everything down. Further, it allows students to interact with each other through discussion forums where they can ask questions to one another or have discussions about class content. I can monitor these and step in if students need a nudge in the right direction.

Cons

Moodle takes a bit of time to learn from the user/student perspective. They need to spend some time playing with it to figure out what tools are available and how to access different areas.

Umaash N.

Moodle Review

Reviewed on 2019/03/07

Pros

From the view of a student, Moodle is an excellent way to find class materials such as lectures, notes, homeworks, practice tests, and other forms in an easily accessible way. Within specific classes, the materials are often organized by date making it easy to find what you're looking for. The software also displays grades and can help you keep track of class progress. Additionally, online homework can be submitted through the website, minimizing the amount of different softwares students need to download per class.

From the point of view of a teaching assistant, Moodle is user friendly when entering grades for individual assignments. Graders can comment on a student's performance which is helpful and the grading page is easy to navigate and straight forward.

Cons

When participating in forums through Moodle, there were sometimes issues viewing other students' posts or writing posts yourself. Additionally, the website is only as useful as the professor makes it, so without professor involvement, many of the site's features are not utilized. Additionally, the mobile version of the software could be improved for better ease of use.

Joshua F.

Moodle has been a game changer in organizing, delivering content, and facilitating learning

Reviewed on 2018/03/28

Great features at low cost!

Pros

I've been using Moodle for 6 years in my practice as an educator. It has been a total game changer for me in organizing units/resources/assignments, assessment, and making it possible to teach effectively in a 1 to 1 environment. From facilitating online forums to creating end of term assessments, Moodle has made it easy to move the classroom into the 21st century through an intuitive, customizable, and easy to master, open source platform. I've used blackboard, desire2learn, and sampled other online class formats, but Moodle is easily the most cost effective and offers similar capabilities. There really is not much you can't do in terms of managing curriculum and assignments in moodle.

Cons

The one con of Moodle is feedback and creating assessments. While these features are possible and I do use them, I often have found other programs which do this better. However, they also cost considerably more which is something to consider. While some of the ease of use is lacking in moodle, and certain features can be a headache, I feel the benefits often outweigh other programs which do similar things at higher cost.

Virtual Aula, with some limitations

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

Pros

I'm preparing a virtual aula for my students, and after looking for a while for different options, I decided to use Moodle, The main reason is that it offers almost everything that I need for my classes while its use is totally free. You can create multiple kinds of accounts for different purposes, such as the administrator role, teacher role or student role. Each of them can only access a limited number of options.
Also, the variety of activities that can be included are more than enough to cover all the needs your students may have: from filling gaps to sending their own writings. Each student is given a personal account where they can keep record of their progress and contact their teacher privately.

Cons

What I like less about it is that it is not intuitive at all, you will need to either hire a professional or dedicate long hours to figure out how it works. On the positive side, it is a very popular software, and therefore you will find a lot of tutorials and help online. You cannot rely a lot on its official customer service as they seem to have a lot of users it is not very easy to contact them.

7.0/10
Brayan agostinho D.

good web portal oriented to distance education where you can educate and learn from home or work

Reviewed on 2018/05/13

Pros

Moodle is a good web education portal, where students can study and learn from home, work and much more ...
Moodle adds a large number of educational administrators where students can participate in a group or alone. among them we have: glossaries, lessons and it allows us to buy files like word, excel, pdf ....
It also includes a tool where tutors can share and add information on the website so that students can interact with it.
It also adds a chat function, both group and individual.

Cons

Moodle should integrate tools such as: video chat, real-time chats and a wider integration of files such as videos and audios.
At the time of uploading a file we also find the problem that should not be very heavy in terms of memory. since we have a limited amount of megabits (MB) to upload a file depends on the activity that is developed.
Moodle should also improve its interface and make it more comfortable for the user, it can be a bit difficult to use for some users.
Moodle continues to grow and I hope it will improve all your problems as several universities have adapted their service to teach distance learning.

6.0/10
Kenatu B.

Swiss Army Knife

Reviewed on 2018/12/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I can say that as a free lance ID I love this platform. Its open source and It has a lot of support. so much so that there are hundreds of plugins developed by third parties that make it a match for more commerically branded LMSes on the market. When I say support, I mean the community, there is no 24-7 support but there are so many users out there that any problem you may have has already happened to someone else and there is a solution just waiting in the right forum.
I do work in Camtasia and Movavi and I have not had any trouble getting my content to function within moodle. This along with Articulate Soryline and Rise is my swiss army knife to tackle any e-learning project.

Pros

More than hafl the cost of other platforms
Hundreds of Plug-ins
No problems with my own video content

Cons

Requires more than average techy know how. I really don't see this as a con but it is what it is. I believe tech knowledge is a requirement for every modern day educator, instructor, movitar, life coach or whatever you may call yourself. the level of tech expertise required should be required for everyone.
The simple UI is a plus for me but can be also considered a con. however moodle is so customizable you can deal with that too

Enrrique P.

One of the best applications for instructors.

Reviewed on 2018/04/23

Have at hand an educational application that allows me to prepare courses and complete classes for work groups or students, where I can evaluate them and keep track of each class or team, knowing what are the strengths and weaknesses to improve the group every day.

Pros

Every professional of the instruction that has knowledge of the technologies of learning to used moodle, is par excellence one of the favorites to the hour of teaching, be it at university or professional level, this application is very flexible and complete, it allows you to create courses, evaluations, create forums, classes, upload videos and more, much more, when you need to prepare new staff or improve the resources you already have, you can always count on moodle for this task, plus it's free, but, you will need a development team to customize to suit your company.

Cons

Maybe the wide application can hinder the development for a specific task, or if you want a simple course, it can take a long time to customize for a small session where example you just need a course or evaluate something, maybe in these cases is better another option.

The best software for students and teacher for education

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

I have been using Moodle in the University for almost 4 years. And it is just an incredible way of submitting projects, communicating with professors and other students.

Pros

Moodle is the best software for learning both on and off campus. The applications is full of unique features allowing teachers and professors to adjust the system to their preferred way of education. Instructors are able to run the whole teaching experience through the software and to monitor the activities of their students. I am a student who has been using the software for about 4 years and it is the easiest and most convenient way of submitting my projects and checking the deadlines of the submissions. The Moodle also provides an easy way to communicate with your professors, and the forum system is an incredible way for starting discussions with other students of the same course. Using Moodle is also very convenient when it comes to resources as professors can easily share all the required materials with students.

Cons

As a student I don't have any complains concerning the Moodle.

Useful backbone to online learning offerings

Reviewed on 2019/04/18

Our University uses Moodle at the heart of our distance learning program. Alongside a few other initiatives I think it has improved the experience of distance students markedly and I think that as it develops further, Moodle has the potential to offer even more to these students.

Pros

Moodle requires very little technical knowledge to get something up and running and then, if you have a little skill in that area, it can accommodate that to allow for a little shine to be added to an offering. This means that one of the key drives to using it, blended teaching offerings, is actually achievable and easily so for a range of teaching staff.

Cons

While it enriches distance learning offerings, the simplicity of moodle (such as an abundance of drag and drop implementation) does also bring its own set of quirks. It can be a little clunky and resources intensive on old servers and while it provides a lot of advanced features to complement the simplicity they are not always immediately obvious and sometimes not particularly well labelled. Some of this is down to the technical staff that customise and implement the offering but that is perhaps the drawback. That Moodle is so flexible and customisable that one offering of it may look and feel very different to another.

7.0/10
James D.

Handy, free option for learning.

Reviewed on 2018/08/11
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

It’s hard to find something bad to say about this program. After all, you’re getting so many features that other programs charge you to use. However, my experience with the lagging was frustrating, especially since I was on a deadline. If it had been only a little worse, I could have missed the deadline. Granted, while this was annoying, I have to remind myself that it is free to use. Can’t really complain.

Pros

Well, first off, it’s free! When price is important, especially for smaller schools and companies, free is always a good thing. The amount of features that Moodle has is one of the things that drew us to it in the first place. It has many features that even pay-to-use programs don’t have. It’s also so easy to use, which makes teaching new people how to use it a breeze. I like how grades can easily be uploaded and viewed. Courses are also very easy to update, with the ability to upload lecture notes, powerpoints, and tests. Very much worth the “cost.”

Cons

The program is very basic UI-wise. It could do with a little more flair, user-wise. It would also be handy to customize the pages based on courses. It would also be good to have the program email a person when they receive a message. Otherwise, it could be days before you get a message, depending on how often you log in. Also, even though it is easy to use, it is often laggy. This is frustrating, especially if you’re trying to complete a test or quiz by a certain time.

Ely M.

Excellent !

Reviewed on 2016/10/16

As e-learning consultant I provide support to international organizations. I can say, without any doubt, that Moodle, has almost no equivalent as open source LMS and this on efficiency and added value levels. I recommend it for all kind of online training (professional and academic). Great software for no penny and with many advantages.

Pros

open source philosophy
wide support Community
updates on time
free plugins and themes
total integration of the official Moodle website plugins area to owners Moodle websites (direct installation through login interface) )

Cons

Need training to master the site admin interface. But guidelines are online available.
The very frequent updated versions provided by the official website can lead to frequent upgrades (not easy to perform for novice mainly for running website). But latest version can be used for longtime without fundamentals upgrading (outside security concerns) mainly from the 2.x and 3.x versions. Anyway those who are familiar with git (repositories) can do upgrades and planning all upgrading jobs efficiently.

Joseph G.

Student View On Moodle

Reviewed on 2018/09/08

Overall it has been very useful in keeping tasks organized and efficient. Online quizzes provide instant results for students and estimates for keeping track on overall course projects. The software does need to be configured properly to be best used

Pros

Online resource for organizing course work for students and allows for collaboration between students amongst themselves and professor contact information. Work assignments, test and quizzes can all be posted for students to complete and displays a GPA for the course for the work completed on Moodle. Useful to keep on track on assignments and helps keep students accountable for the work required to pass a course

Cons

I never seen the administrator / professor's side, but It looks like it needs a decent set of technical knowledge to configure and implement. Often there is misalignment with Moodle tasks and actual tasks. Although this is no fault to Moodle, but professors are often specialized in a trade and not the best for software deployment. Universities should have a staff dedicated towards training and usage on this software.

5.0/10

Open Source solution for educational platforms

Reviewed on 2019/01/14

Pros

Moodle is easy to use and is open-source, and has a wide array of functionalities. Personally, it's been used in a university setting, making publication of class schedules and materials easy and painless. There are multiple options where you can set up quizzes, polls, message boards, etc., and it's very user friendly. Everything is cloud-based, minimizing the potential for loss of data and documents, and you can set up multiple users. Many universities seem to be trending towards this software due to its ease of use, positive user reviews, and cost-effectiveness. You can easily manage educational platforms for hundreds if not thousands of users, and you can see the statistical benefit easily. Educators can develop dynamic and personalized course material easily and get immediate feedback. This seems to be the solution for many universities in this technology-driven age.

Cons

The setup can be very administrator-dependent, so it may look unappealing if less effort is put into it.

Asfand J.

BEST E-LEARNING PLACE

Reviewed on 2019/03/03

I can say that this software is best for learning the management systems I can get. I help to improve the educational and training processes through the investment in this software. The best thing is that this software also offers a free trial plan that provides everyone a chance to gauge. It can uplift any business by providing the best learning courses. This software helps me to have a look at the reports and reviews of the status of my company coaching programs, find out about the employees who have completed their qualifications.

Pros

I found it useful as it includes a training platform utilized by everyone while not communicating with each other. This software has multiple features, and several techniques are involved in it like storytelling, social learning, blending learning, etc. it makes the process of learning as compelling and engaging as possible. This software provides unlimited access to all my e-Learning materials. Once I transfer all the content of the e-Learning Course and publish it, the audience has access to all the information.

Cons

I do not find any significant drawback of it. The setup options are a bit difficult for me to understand and course content present in it is not much value. The customer support is weak, and I suggest there is a variety of things that need to be included in the software. This software does not involve multiple learning designs. Different aspects of coaching that need to be learned do not lend themselves to online learning

A cost-effective

Reviewed on 2018/01/17

Because it is free, my Institution (public University in Brazil) could afford to implement it to improve the quality of undergrad courses.

Pros

I am using the software for about a decade now and it improved a lot! Moodle is a very capable LMS, free and opensource, with a good number of very useful resources for teachers/instructors and leaners. There is a huge community of users and developers to get support from and share experience. Furthermore, one can get a taste of this LMS or even in deep, in-pracice, learning how to use it using free online resources, such as https://moodle.org/demo/. Although it is mainly developed for education, it can be tailored to be used as other kind of content management system, such as general websites and a plataform for team-based activities online. Worth to note, Moodle is developed with socio-constructivism philosophy, and this makes a significant difference in terms of effective improvement of the teaching and learning activities using technology resources.

Cons

Some teachers may find it a little cumbersome because of the high number of features and customization options. The interface is a little outdated and could be more intuitive and flexible. Some features requires TI expertise to be implemented and requires server-side access. Finally, upgrades (notably major ones) must be carefully planned and executed to avoid data loss.