Bluebeam Revu

Write a Review!
PDF editing & markup on the go with built-in collaboration

4.5/5
4.6/5
4.3/5
4.3/5

Tyler
Tyler

BlueBeam is a MUST for Construction!

Reviewed on 2018/07/16

Pros

I can't say enough good things about this software using it in the construction industry. I have used multiple different PDF editors but nothing comes close to as how good BlueBeam is. There is not much of a learning curve and you can learn the basics very quickly. It goes about as advanced as you would need and can do almost anything.

Marking up blueprints is straightforward and easy to do. There are multiple different callout shapes and easily input the tag on it. You can have a favorite toolset on a window for the most frequently used items such as your stamp, signature, check mark, etc... Once you collaborate the blueprint you can measure dimensions, surface, and volume.

Bluebeam integrates into most other software such as browsers, Microsoft Excel, and word. It has a quick button in these programs to easily convert it into a PDF inside of Bluebeam. If it does not have integration with the software you can print something and use Bluebeam as a printer to convert it into a PDF inside Bluebeam. You can even set spaces and do punch lists as well.

Everyone I work with loves with the product and nobody has a bad thing to say about it.

Cons

The only complaint I have been able to come up with but I'm sure it is user error is that my customized toolbar keeps reverting back to the default. I have locked the toolbar and messed with it but randomly every now goes back. I am unsure why this happens and is pretty frustrating when it does. Other than this no complaints.

Justin

2nd to none

Reviewed on 2019/09/04

Bluebeam compliments our takeoff program very well. It is very useful for generating individual files out of a large set that are uniquely named by the drawing number and name (or however you wish to name them), which then allows me to import those files into the program without the need for manually typing in the descriptions. Saves an inordinate amount of time at the start of a takeoff for each job.

Pros

There is no PDF program out there to my knowledge that comes anywhere close to this program when it comes to the construction industry. We have been using this program for 6 years now, and the advancements the developers have made have been fantastic. All of our estimators and project managers have at least Bluebeam Revu, some have Extreme. The text recognition for creating page labels/bookmarks is fantastic (has improved greatly over time). The Sets feature is top notch as well, particularly for keeping up with jobs that have numerous revised drawing sets. The takeoff module is quite powerful, although we do not really take advantage of it's full potential as we already had an on-screen takeoff program.

Cons

I honestly have not been a huge fan of the new look in the 2018 version, but that's probably just because I was used to the old look after years of use. Some of our users are overwhelmed with all of the options, buttons, and menus, but that's really just the nature of the beast with a program with so many tools.

Josh

No Support

Reviewed on 2020/11/24

Technical support is non existent.

Technical support is non existent.

Pros

All the pros of this software are irrelevant because of how bad the support staff is.

Cons

Customer support is the worst I have ever dealt with. I bought bluebeam because the explained all of the great things you can do connecting to your employees through their I pad and I phone apps. After looking into it we were excited and bought the program. After the program was purchased they explained to be that I can't use the I phone app unless I purchase the $150 maintenance plan. Felt like I got suckered in but also figured I am new to the program and the added help couldn't hurt. 3 months in and I have one of our foremans I pad that will not connect to Blue beam. I call tech support and they inform that they cannot help be over the phone and that I need to email them. After explaining to them that I have 20 employees sitting on a job site with no plans and nothing to do they inform me again that all they can do is have me email me the problem because tech support over the phone doesn't cover the i pad and the i phone apps. Keep in mind I had to have the tech support in order to use the I phone app??? It has been an hour and a half and I just had to send all of our employees home with no work. I will be leaving bluebeam and moving our company to procore.

Susan

Bluebeam Revu is the best product on the market

Reviewed on 2021/06/10

Its more than a PDF viewer or an annotation tool. I can do takeoff any project efficiently for estimates with all the assorted program tools. It is the best platform for Constructability Reviews through studio sessions that allows all team players to collaborate with each other to avoid conflict between each engineering discipline.

Pros

It's the best software that allows simplicity for any type of project involving engineering drawings, estimating or constructability reviews whether going solo or as a team in Studio Sessions.

Cons

I have been using Bluebeam for over 15 years and had never an issue that couldn't be resolved. The support personnel can make magic happen within seconds to solve any problem.

Jesse
  • Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

Most vital piece of software we use at our company

Reviewed on 2022/11/03

The best investment we have made with a piece of software by far.

The best investment we have made with a piece of software by far.

Pros

Bluebeam is easy to use and has a vast amount of tools available for handling anything you want to do with a document.

Cons

The program can be slow on a tablet away from the office.

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

We bought Bluebeam Revu through the advice of colleagues. This is the standard for construction.
Alexis

BlueBeam Revu Review

Reviewed on 2023/04/10

I would highly recommend Bluebeam Revu over almost any other PDF reader/modifier. Its simplicity is refreshing. I think that if more people knew about the product they would switch from Adobe.

Pros

Bluebeam is simple to learn and use. There are so many handy tools, and I don't even use a lot of them in my line of work but I know others who do. I particularly like the cloud tool to bring attention to revisions, but also like the text editor and the ability to scale from a set of drawings by picking two points with a known dimension.

Cons

I think most of the tools are really great, but I would like to see a few more options for shapes that can be drawn. I use some of them to create easy to read legends for a particular set of drawings.

Gina

BlueBeam Revue is my FAVE!

Reviewed on 2022/03/31

I utilize BlueBeam Revu pretty much on a daily basis whether it be to open/review documents (as a PDF reader) or to edit/modify documents, invoices, etc. It has become a HUGE tool for me, a time saver AND a stress saver as well! :-)

Pros

After struggling through Adobe for many years, I was introduced to BlueBeam Revu about 3 years ago and it has made my life SO much more pleasant! The features and ease of use (once you have been properly trained) are a Godsend! The ability to relocate text placement more precisely is the most valuable tool for me.

Cons

I do struggle with changing the font sizes when creating new text boxes to be uniform to the last but not a deal breaker - LOL!!

James

Must have software for engineering companies

Reviewed on 2020/10/12

We use Bluebeam on a daily basis for the organization of drawing sets and reports. Bluebeam makes it possible to collaborate on project review with local and remote personnel. Bluebeam makes it possible to help reduce paper waste and to maintain project records for quality controls.

Pros

The robust features of Bluebeam make this essential software for engineering companies. Mark up and organize drawings, compare versions of documents, OCR capabilities, and online collaboration are just some of the many features.

Cons

Sometimes the icons are not as intuitive to me as they should be. Would be nice if Bluebeam would incorporate the Ribbon format that many other programs use.

Adobe XD

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam is available at a better price point and provides superior capabilities to Adobe PDF markup products.
Aditya
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

The best software for engineers!

Reviewed on 2022/08/25

I am very satisfied with the BlueBeam and its capabilities. It makes my work more manageable and accessible.

Pros

BlueBeam supports many different file formats compared to Adobe Reader. It can open Image files and can open Internet browser through it. This makes it one stop solution station for multiple problems. It reduces workload. BlueBeam allows sessions that can be used by multiple organizations and trades and same time. This save project budget and time.

Cons

BlueBeam can not open 2 online sessions at same time. In order to that, you have to exit out of one session to access another. This is time consuming and unnecessary.

Farah
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

I Recommend Bluebeam

Reviewed on 2023/05/06

It is an excellent tool for reviewing drawings and organizing reports in a clear manner.

Pros

Marking up drawings and also being able to create a shared document for multiple users to mark up make this a strong tool that allows AEC professionals to go digital and avoid printing.

Cons

Tools that allow me to draw straight lines on documents would help.

Glenn

Great for estimate take offs

Reviewed on 2020/01/15

Powerful tool to manipulate pdf's. Definitely use Bluebeam Revu as the default pdf tool.

Pros

Tool sets make mark up easy. Bluebeam Revu is the best for viewing and manipulating pdf's.

Cons

Sometimes customization is a little cumbersome. The process to make custom symbols and color them can be confusing.
I do not like the way the audit trail for markups does not stay on the sheet you are working on. Continually have to navigate back the part of the audit trail for that sheet.
Combining documents sometimes does not work. Adobe Acrobat is better for basic combining.

Ann

Best PDF Program for Architecture/Design/Construction

Reviewed on 2022/08/26

It has been a great collaborative tool for the company I work for. We are all in different locations and has made remote working much easier. Supervisors can look over files and redline things while another worker in a different location is correcting the items at the same time. It is also a great file management tool as the Sessions allow to keep document files together that many people can access simultaneously

Pros

The features that Bluebeam Revu has are far above and beyond to other PDF reading/editing software out there, especially for those that are in the design/construction industry. It has a slight learning curve when you're used to other programs, but once you learn, there is no going back.

The best feature in my opinion is the ability to collaborate in real time. When files are uploaded to a Session, multiple people can be in the same file at the same time. Someone can be marking up and making comments while others can be seeing these comments and revising things on their end at the same time. There is no need to wait for a person to finish marking up a file and send it in an email, it can be done simultaneously.

Cons

Honestly, there are not many cons about this software. The only issue I had with the program was the learning curve of how to use it, as I had to learn on my own.

Michael

Bluebeam Revu is to construction professionals what Excel is to finacial professionals

Reviewed on 2017/10/13

More than any other software package, Bluebeam is by far the most valuable to me in my daily work. Thanks Bluebeam!

Pros

I have been using BB Revu PDF software since 2010, when I switched from Adobe Professional. Revu is designed for construction personnel. I use it for reviewing documents and drawings, marking up, sketching, quantity take off, illustrating, presentations, flowchart and Org Chart creations - just almost everything. I convert word documents to PDF for reviewing. I add bookmarks as way-finder through large documents such as Specifications, Reports and Specifications etc. For drawing reviews or study, I compile large packs of PDF drawings into single PDF with drawing numbers visible under Bookmarks. With Revu you can have 2 (or more)drawings opened on your screen, from within the combined pack or separate files, for comparing eg Elevations and Sections or plans or details. Sometimes I use the auto compare feature in comparing updated drawing with an older version where the differences will be highlighted. The Search feature is extremely useful and I use it a lot in finding references in Specifications Codes and Reports etc. The Spaces feature is really good and impresses hugely when included within presentations. Signature feature also excellent. I use the Add Ins for Outlook, Word, Excel and CAD regularly. I find the Help Section and Bluebeam University incredible. The Developers really put themselves in the place of the "normal" user and provide excellent vide demos of all the features.

Cons

File sizes generated in marking up and sketching tend to be quite large. There are ways to reduce the file size but they do not work all the time - sometimes they increase the size.I have tried a few times to engage design consultants in the use of the Studio feature for real-time online collaboration without success. This is however is not the fault of the Studio feature - its just that the designers did not have the software.

Andrew

Expensive but worth it

Reviewed on 2023/01/11

Its the best product in the business for the category it serves. I think much like Autodesk, Bluebeam hates is customers. It is a difficult company to do business with from deployment on down through support. Even with that said, I can't imagine trying to work without it. What are you going to do?

Pros

This software handles any and all PDF tasks for us. It also can be used for photo/file manipulation. The collaboration feature allows for real time multi-user edits which has proven useful for remote workers

Cons

I dislike the fact that the software is now only offered as a subscription purchase. We have historically bought standalone licenses. We would get 2-4 years out of the license before bluebeam quit supporting it or required us to upgrade. Now we spend even more money for each seat and we get to pay it every year. I guess they took a page out of the Autodesk playbook.

Chase
Chase
  • Industry: Building Materials

Easy to use. Lot of functionality.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Quickly and easily edit PDFs. More powerful and functional than most of the basic PDF applications available. Merge documents from a Windows Explorer window.

Pros

Bluebeam has a lot of buttons and features out-of-the-box. The default layout is intuitive. Quickly and easily add text, highlights, shapes, callouts, and lines to PDFs. The buttons for rotating the page are readily available. Taking snapshots/copies, cropping, and other editing functions are easy. Bluebeam has measurement tools so you can easily get dimensions off of plans. There are tons of keyboard shortcuts and "toolboxes" that allow you to perform repetitive tasks quickly. Customize stamps to create signatures or other repetitive text like "Reviewed By..." or dynamic shop drawing stamps (like "Make Corrections Noted"). Flatten tool allow you to lock your edits into place. Security features are also available.

Bluebeam also allows you to merge/staple multiple sheets together and further manipulate pages within a document.

Cons

Bluebeam provides a lot of functionality, but depending on your needs you may be able to use something cheaper and less functional. You should weigh your need for a tool like this. The "Staple" function for combining files within a Windows Explorer window/menu could be a little simpler. It currently brings up a dialogue box that is overly complicated and not intuitive. Other software like Adobe Acrobat allow you to do this much easier with only a few mouse clicks.

• Industry: Design

Blue Beam Review

Reviewed on 2021/12/02

It is a daily use and I could not do my job as effectively without it

It is a daily use and I could not do my job as effectively without it

Pros

Markup tools, Editing, Color Highlighting, Clouds

Cons

Having to scale drawings to get dimensions

Reasons for Choosing Bluebeam Revu

Easier to use and more functions

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Ease of use for my daily use
John
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

A flexible PDF file editor that helps us estimate , analyze and mange construction projects.

Reviewed on 2023/01/08

Bids that we are currently pricing are received from clients in the form of PDF files and contain many fees that are not clear in scale; however, with the help of Bluebeam tools, we were able to establish measurements for them, calculate areas, and issue tables of quantities accurately, greatly simplifying the pricing procedures for projects.

Pros

Bluebeam is one of the best PDF management programs, particularly in the realm of construction projects, as it allows us to highlight the details of plans and allocate measurements accurately, allowing us to take measurements directly and also calculate areas and sizes directly from PDF files, even if it is a manual drawing. The ability to alter texts is fantastic, and I also enjoy that new elements, symbols, and even pagination can be added with relative ease. It's simple to add a digital signature, which is useful for keeping tabs on who approved and received credit for files that were shared across teams.

Cons

Once you get past the initial learning curve, using Bluebeam is simple, but the high annual subscription costs mean that we can't afford to include all of our members.

Apeksha
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

There is nothing better than Bluebeam for PDF editing...!!!!

Reviewed on 2019/10/05

I am using this great software for some designing works. I can simply edit all my designs as per clients requirements and make them perfect with absolute easy.

Pros

There is no doubt that Bluebeam Revu is the best software available at the market today for viewing and editing PDFs. Software is fairly easy to handle and learn. Free versions are available for use. There are so many editing options, tools and functions are available. PDFs can be converted to word files with high accuracy.

Cons

I absolutely have nothing against the bluebeam revu. Files with macro details takes some times to load and zooming. But that is acceptable.

Allison

An essential tool for the AE Industry

Reviewed on 2023/05/24

Bluebeam Revu proved to be even more an essential tool during the pandemic when the team was remote. During that time clients and consultants became more familiar with it's functions and now we are able to save money and time by reducing in person meetings.

Pros

Bluebeam Revu provides such a wide breadth of tools, users can create or edit a document in almost any way they see fit. The ability to format a document using page labels, bookmarks, and hyperlinks allows us to present information in a digestible way regardless the size of the document. The search function and markups list make looking for information a snap. When in doubt, use Bluebeam.

Cons

Aside from being expensive, there is nothing to dislike about Bluebeam Revu. There are enough tutorials online to bring new staff up to speed. Tools can be accessed from customized toolbars or the menu header making it easy to catch on.

Matthew

BlueBeam Revu

Reviewed on 2024/01/12

the product makes it easy to measure, mark up and make amendments to drawings during the design process without the need to have expensive CAD software

Pros

easy to use, inexpensive and has great features

Cons

I sometimes struggle to find features, but that is because I don't use everything all the time, and it is a very feature rich product

Jonathan
Jonathan
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

You need to ditch Acrobat if you're in the AEC business

Reviewed on 2022/07/08

Aside from licensing issues, I love it, and it's miles ahead of Acrobat if you're doing any kind of construction or architectural work. My clients love getting a clean PDF where the page label matches the sheet name and details and sections are hyperlinked to go to that sheet. I work with architectural plans from other sources and it's great to be able to clean up my own PDF for reference.

Pros

Being able to rename page labels automatically, set architectural scale for each sheet for accurate measurements, being able to batch hyperlink my shop drawings before I send to clients. Very stable, I can't remember having any crashes.

Cons

Licensing scheme is twenty years out of date. In 2023 I should be able to use my license on my desktop and laptop or home computer without purchasing an additional license or mess around with authorizing and de-authorizing my license. Allow 2 or 3 machines to be activated on one license or go to a log in scheme like Autodesk uses now. The strict licensing only irritates your honest customers, most companies figured this out a long time ago.

Jacob
Jacob

Not just a PDF viewer!

Reviewed on 2018/11/03

Bluebeam has increased office productivity tenfold over the years I have seen/implemented it. It really can do whatever you think up, you just need to figure out what you want done.

Pros

EVERYTHING! This software is incredible and to say that you can use it to markup PDF's is just scratching the surface. You can use it as an estimating takeoff tool, estimating database, document control system, cloud document storage and more! Really the list goes on and on for the uses of this tool. I have never been so satisfied by any software as much as I am with Bluebeam Revu. You cant go wrong here, and if you ever do mess something up or think you can't do something, their customer support team is top notch, so you'll be saved by their graces! (Shout out to Amanda Wieting for the impeccable support over the years!)

Cons

Honestly the only thing I have ever not liked about Bluebeam Revu was the UI change they made when going to 2018. They changed the colors around and that's the worst thing that has ever happened with this program.

Baldemar
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Game Changer

Reviewed on 2018/08/14

Pros

What is there not to like about Bluebeam? I first started using it when I got in the construction industry in June 2016 and I have never used a PDF editing software that is as user friendly as Bluebeam. There is countless things you can use it for and more than anything, it is the editing options and capabilities that this program has what makes it simply unique. Being able to create a session and invite members to join is quite a unique feature too; I am glad my company uses it for basically everything!

Cons

This isn't a negative comment, as I truly don't have anything bad to say about it, but if anything I would say that I would like to have a bit more training on how to use the software as it updates from one version to the other; I wish there was either trainings or instructional videos that would show the users how it is that a new version of Bluebeam compares to the older one.

With that said above, it is by far, the best PDF viewer/editor there is out there!

James

Every team should use this.

Reviewed on 2022/09/28

Helps every position in the company, from interns to owners.

Helps every position in the company, from interns to owners.

Pros

After taking the time to explore all the many features and how to use them this becomes a great tool to use.
We use this for PDF converting, sales, document markups, flattening, deleting pages, adding pages, simple takeoff's, etc.

Cons

There is not much to complain about, this tool works great at its programing limits.

Jeff

Bluebeam Revu for Construction Managers

Reviewed on 2017/08/15

I think that Bluebeam is the best PDF manager/user tool created since the original Adobe.

Pros

It is easy, powerful, and allows you to be the master of all documentation. PDF to word conversion, drawings tools, measurement tools, scaled take-offs, etc. etc. Very powerful.
The creation, modification, and use of the Stamps is another great tool for the contractor. We use Bluebeam to review, mark, and submit 100% of our shop drawings. We then have to digitally stamp each page and being able to change the date and comments in the stamp so quickly is awesome.
It integrates well with PROCORE which is an excellent Management Software.
The license is transferable between devices so that I can carry my SINGLE license from my work laptop to my home computer very easily by logging in on my license number.

Cons

Cost could be a factor...although I don't pay the bill at my company so I don't have the answer to the license requirements and costs.