BigBlueButton

Open source web conferencing system for online learning

3,8
3,9
3,9
April S.

Quick and Easy Set Up for Conferences

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/02/07

I would recommend this product to others looking to set up conferences with students.

Pros

This software is great for tutoring sessions with my online students and it can be launched inside of the LMS we are using for our courses.

Cons

The recorded sessions are only available for 14 days.

Lady margrett C.
Industry: Education Management

Bigbluebutton knows what an educator needs.

Reviewed on 2020/09/11

I have tried using all the different types of platforms (e.g. Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams), nothing compares to the ease of use with BigBlueButton. It's just sad that most people don't know about it or are afraid to use it.

Pros

You can see comments, presentation, and the people at the same time. Further, there are polls and break-out rooms. It could even be accessed in both iOS and Android mobile phones and devices.

Cons

Break-out room is limited to 10 groups only.

Lucy S.

use zoom instead

Reviewed on 2020/04/01

Pros

It was hard for me to use it as a student I missed 9 of my classes in virtual school using this. When my teacher uses zoom it works perfectly and this works horribly.I keeps signing me out automatically and says meeting has not started when it has like 31 minutes ago. It is horrible and barely lets me enter the meeting and so does it with my other classmates.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Abhimanyu P.
Industry: Information Services

Cost effective tutoring software

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2020/09/19

Completely satisfied with this product. Because it's an open source. So I made changes as I want.

Pros

The best open source software for video conferencing. It contain all features having in paid software

Cons

Facing login issue. Very often reporting the same issue by different team members. They were failed to sign in.

Eduardo L.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

My review of Big Blue Button

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

It has been quite positive. I have used it regularly during lockdown when it was impossible to teach face to face at school.

Pros

The ease with which I can handle a Synchronous Virtual Classroom meeting: Uploading Files, Sharing my screen and all the other functionalities enable me to carry out this aspect of Distance Teaching without problems.

Cons

Unless I am mistaken, I cannot upload more than one file. If I upload toe, the first one gets erased.

Sergio O.
Industry: International Trade & Development

All schools and universities should be using it!

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2020/06/26

Pros

This is the prove that open source software can be better than paid software. It's the one tool for education. You have shared board, real-time survey and more.

Cons

The servers are a bit expensive if you want to run it 24/7. The shared board could have option to just let one student write on it. Also, the teacher should have the option to mute the alumni.

Heather Z.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Big blue button is not the best

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

I would say My overall experience with big blue button this poor. like I mentioned, we have to use it daily because there is no other option with my son's distance learning but I would choose another product in a heartbeat if it were an option..

Pros

I don't really have any pros to say about bigbluebutton. We use it because we don't have another option with my son's distance learning. I would definitely prefer zoom or another video conferencing app.

Cons

We use bigbluebutton because we don't have another option with my son's distance learning. I would definitely prefer zoom or another video conferencing app. Bigbluebutton proves to be inconsistent with whether it's going to work. It is very glitchy with both the audio and video. Makes distance learning extremely hard.

Lillian M.

Road to greatness

Reviewed on 2020/08/28

The overall experience has been amazing ;it’s easy use makes it quicker to access through mobile or computer. The screen presentation box is quite small and makes presentations to be hard to view without continuously adjusting your eyes. But overall Bigbluebutton is a great software for daily use .

Pros

The option of listen only or join in with a call is definitely impactful as it allows you to choose which platform is convenient to you at the time .
It’s easier to operate for day to day lessons and it’s only one touch away .

Cons

The limited screen for presentation. The chat icon should be optional because it occupies quite a chunk of the screen.

Matt G.
Industry: Medical Devices

I had a lot of issues using it

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/12/26

I used this software for presenting to multiple customers at different locations. I always had issues getting everyone able to see me as the presenter while being able to view attached documents and interact with one another. My UI was really clean which I liked, but the overall experience was clunky so we moved to a different software ultimately.

Pros

The client side experience was pretty clean.

Cons

There seemed to be a lot of issue with multiple people and media types on a conference call. 3 viewers, a camera for a presenter, a recording pc, and a separare handout presentation.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Islam K.

good software ... but!

Reviewed on 2020/10/26

overall bbb is good software to manage video conference if develop process continue as it is maybe in 3 years we will have golden product

Pros

bbb is very easy to set , implement and lunch and has very simple view help anyone to manage it , beside it is large community and devloping proccess

Cons

i think the position of developing cycle is wrong i mean bbb need more develop for customer and end user who is not technical i mean for all our teacher how hard it was to manage and customize and that is first;
second bbb has weak error view system for example sometimes internet connection is too bad for sharing and bbb loading for ever it will be greate to show error msg "hi your connection is bad" that so simple but i think end user ( no technical user ) is not calculated here.

Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Simple Webconferencing software, but lacking in big name features

Reviewed on 2020/06/18

Overall works well, but would prefer other competitors such as Zoom or Google Meets.

Pros

This software is integrated with Canvas LMS by Instructure, making it easy for schools already using the Canvas LMS to adopt. It has a robust security system to prevent "zoombombing" as only registered people in each course can access the conference they have been invited to with a unique user token. Certain features such as breakout rooms, shared whiteboard and embedded video player would rival other video conferencing software such as Google Meets, and it most definitely has most if not all classroom needs for most schools around the world. The Learning curve is low, and it runs smoothly most of the time. Private chat works very well, and is intuitive to use.

Cons

The design is a bit outdated, and looks a slightly boring. "Hot" features right now such as virtual backgrounds and full screen tile view is not up to par with competitors, and there are small annoyances such as keyboard shortcuts not working on MACs and the need to do an "echo test" every time I enter a new conference which takes several seconds off my precious time. Additionally, the ability to record a conference after having entered and forgotten to click the "make conference recordable" button while creating the conference results in having to have everyone leave the conference and have a new one created. Lastly, although I like the breakout rooms feature, if you so happen to put a timer for the breakout rooms to be less than needed, there is no option to extend the time without having all the breakout rooms close and reopen - something that happens way too often.

Amit G.
Industry: Education Management

Reliable meeting and online teaching tool

Reviewed on 2020/03/30

My overall experience was with bigbluebutton is good only faced issue in greenlight. I would like to have its Android version also. Currently we can use in browser(mozilla or chrome)

Pros

Bigbluebutton is powerful and robust server application which have all sort of features required for online teaching, meeting and collaboration. The step by step guide is yet easy to deploy this application. The presenter, viewer part, integration of audio bridge, screen sharing, file presentation, polls etc are nice features.

Cons

Overall customization of different parts is not so easy and there is very limited resources available for helping in this. Something like greenlight installation is not easy and support on web is almost nowhere about this.
The application required higher bandwidth for video audio/ video and screen sharing streams which makes it hefty on resources side. Audio does sometime hiccups usually when multiple people taking at once.

Ethan L.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

It Worked

Reviewed on 2020/04/28

It worked well. Teachers were able to get everybody in a session, they could share documents or videos or songs, and they could record sessions. It worked well for us.

Pros

We used this software to have class meetings. I think one of the best features of BigBlueButton was the screen share feature. Teachers could bring documents up seamlessly while talking about a subject. Distance didn't really get in the way, and some cohorts were students from different countries.

Cons

I don't think there was a lot that people didn't like. A pro/con of the software was that it was only accessible through Canvas which were we using. So you could only use it if you were in our Canvas program. But that was good for students and teachers because their video conferencing software was right at their fingertips.

Michael T.
Industry: Telecommunications
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Videoconferencing made easy

Reviewed on 2018/04/24

When I am presenting something to a group of newcomers and I want to stress or emphasize a particular item, BigBlueButton makes it easy.

Pros

My favorite feature of BigBlueButton is the whiteboard feature because I can highlight things I want to emphasize.

Cons

BigBlueButton has a horrible tendency to freeze up and distort video, and sometimes audio, at the most inopportune times. This has cause me to move BBB from my main to my back up conferencing software, only being used when I need one of the features that only it provides.

Chasity` M.
Industry: Retail

Ease of Use. Perfect for Virtual Learning

Reviewed on 2018/09/21

Pros

I love the functionality of the program and being able to have multiple instructors at once. I appreciate the share screen option and also being able to use webcams and microphones interchangeably.

Cons

I really have no complaints with the program.

Laron H.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Makes videoconferencing easy

Reviewed on 2018/02/20

Facilitates online video meetings.

Pros

I find BigBlueButton very useful for videoconferencing and and webinars. It is easy to setup and launch and the interface is quite friendly. It has all the features I need for a online video meeting.

Cons

No con really, as it does its job well. The only I drawback I can mention is that it operates in a space where there are a lot of tools of the same nature.

Babak B.

We integrate BigBlueButton within our Platform for our clients

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2017/10/10

Pros

Platform was easy to setup and integrate with our platform
Product is free to use for our end client so many opt to use the service
Has many features that makes online webinars and training effective

Cons

Overall the prdouct is very good as a free tool but it would be good to have a web-app on iOS or Android.

Efficient conferencing tool

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/05/07

It is free to host online conference meeting.

Pros

My organization uses BigBlueButton for hosting our meetings. I find it to be very efficient and easy to use. It is a free ad open-source technology so that is a plus.

Cons

I can't really say that i have a con. My experience with using BigBlueButton has been smooth thus far.

Very Useful Free Software

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/05/16

Overall it's really helpful. And I can't complain more as it's free to use.

Pros

This software is nice. The best thing I like about BigBlueButton - It has a recording option that allows you to record the meeting and is available for viewing for 7 days.

Cons

I am not sure if it has a Playlist option because I have to upload my presentation file every start of the session so It's kinda waste of time.

Unstable product

Reviewed on 2020/05/23

I do not recommend it at all, they have to type on it it's a beta project.

Pros

Join from the browser no need to download any app.

Cons

1- you can not host more than 100 participants.
2- If 100 participants or lower, keep typing on chat continuously the meeting will lagging so much.
3- Using node js single thread (disaster)
4- Some IOS users won't hear anything if they join in a listen-only mode.
5- Core developers maybe take more that one year to add/fix a single feature.
6- Delay audio and video on recording if you use screen share (in some cases).
7- Very bad UX.
8- Download mp4 not supported you have to use third party fork.
9- No immediate support only ( google community) be ready to ignore your questions.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Emily G.

I wish it worked

Reviewed on 2020/03/24

wish it worked.

Pros

I am teaching a class that had to move to online (COVID-19)- I wanted a way to video conference with my students. since it is already a feature on Canvas- I hoped to use it since then they would not have to download/sign up for new programs and software.
it seemed east to use at first.

Cons

the recordings changed the orientation of my slide images making all the notes I took on them useless and confusing.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Francesca W.

Big Blue Button : Communicate with picture and sound

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Pros

We use this application for e-learning and teaching at my university. It is easy to use and the quality of video and sound is normally good. You can also use it for conferences.

Cons

Sometimes issues accur and you have to log out and log in again.

Peter M.

Good free webinar tool for our external clients

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/03/21

Pros

Great free alternative for doing live seminars and presentations. Has all the functionalities needed.

Cons

The interface does look a little outdated. Wish there was more customization options to make it look and feel the way we want.

Kourtney A.

Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2020/04/03

Overall, I will continue to use this software, and am very happy with it so far.

Pros

Bigbluebutton is easy to use when speaking with a class - easy to use the chat feature on the left and you can even record the sessions.

Cons

I couldn't figure out how to start my video for the video chat with my students, but I am sure I can watch a tutorial to figure it out.