BigBlueButton

Open source web conferencing system for online learning

Islam K.

good software ... but!

Reviewed on 2020/10/26

overall bbb is good software to manage video conference if develop process continue as it is maybe in 3 years we will have golden product

Pros

bbb is very easy to set , implement and lunch and has very simple view help anyone to manage it , beside it is large community and devloping proccess

Cons

i think the position of developing cycle is wrong i mean bbb need more develop for customer and end user who is not technical i mean for all our teacher how hard it was to manage and customize and that is first;
second bbb has weak error view system for example sometimes internet connection is too bad for sharing and bbb loading for ever it will be greate to show error msg "hi your connection is bad" that so simple but i think end user ( no technical user ) is not calculated here.

Eduardo L.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

My review of Big Blue Button

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

It has been quite positive. I have used it regularly during lockdown when it was impossible to teach face to face at school.

Pros

The ease with which I can handle a Synchronous Virtual Classroom meeting: Uploading Files, Sharing my screen and all the other functionalities enable me to carry out this aspect of Distance Teaching without problems.

Cons

Unless I am mistaken, I cannot upload more than one file. If I upload toe, the first one gets erased.

Sergio O.
  • Industry: International Trade & Development

All schools and universities should be using it!

Reviewed on 2020/06/26

Pros

This is the prove that open source software can be better than paid software. It's the one tool for education. You have shared board, real-time survey and more.

Cons

The servers are a bit expensive if you want to run it 24/7. The shared board could have option to just let one student write on it. Also, the teacher should have the option to mute the alumni.

Amit G.

Reliable meeting and online teaching tool

Reviewed on 2020/03/30

My overall experience was with bigbluebutton is good only faced issue in greenlight. I would like to have its Android version also. Currently we can use in browser(mozilla or chrome)

Pros

Bigbluebutton is powerful and robust server application which have all sort of features required for online teaching, meeting and collaboration. The step by step guide is yet easy to deploy this application. The presenter, viewer part, integration of audio bridge, screen sharing, file presentation, polls etc are nice features.

Cons

Overall customization of different parts is not so easy and there is very limited resources available for helping in this. Something like greenlight installation is not easy and support on web is almost nowhere about this.
The application required higher bandwidth for video audio/ video and screen sharing streams which makes it hefty on resources side. Audio does sometime hiccups usually when multiple people taking at once.

Lady margrett C.

Bigbluebutton knows what an educator needs.

Reviewed on 2020/09/11

I have tried using all the different types of platforms (e.g. Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams), nothing compares to the ease of use with BigBlueButton. It's just sad that most people don't know about it or are afraid to use it.

Pros

You can see comments, presentation, and the people at the same time. Further, there are polls and break-out rooms. It could even be accessed in both iOS and Android mobile phones and devices.

Cons

Break-out room is limited to 10 groups only.

Ethan L.

It Worked

Reviewed on 2020/04/28

It worked well. Teachers were able to get everybody in a session, they could share documents or videos or songs, and they could record sessions. It worked well for us.

Pros

We used this software to have class meetings. I think one of the best features of BigBlueButton was the screen share feature. Teachers could bring documents up seamlessly while talking about a subject. Distance didn't really get in the way, and some cohorts were students from different countries.

Cons

I don't think there was a lot that people didn't like. A pro/con of the software was that it was only accessible through Canvas which were we using. So you could only use it if you were in our Canvas program. But that was good for students and teachers because their video conferencing software was right at their fingertips.

Chasity` M.

Ease of Use. Perfect for Virtual Learning

Reviewed on 2018/09/21

Pros

I love the functionality of the program and being able to have multiple instructors at once. I appreciate the share screen option and also being able to use webcams and microphones interchangeably.

Cons

I really have no complaints with the program.

• Used Weekly for Free Trial

Very Useful Free Software

Reviewed on 2019/05/16

Overall it's really helpful. And I can't complain more as it's free to use.

Pros

This software is nice. The best thing I like about BigBlueButton - It has a recording option that allows you to record the meeting and is available for viewing for 7 days.

Cons

I am not sure if it has a Playlist option because I have to upload my presentation file every start of the session so It's kinda waste of time.

Lillian M.

Road to greatness

Reviewed on 2020/08/28

The overall experience has been amazing ;it’s easy use makes it quicker to access through mobile or computer. The screen presentation box is quite small and makes presentations to be hard to view without continuously adjusting your eyes. But overall Bigbluebutton is a great software for daily use .

Pros

The option of listen only or join in with a call is definitely impactful as it allows you to choose which platform is convenient to you at the time .
It’s easier to operate for day to day lessons and it’s only one touch away .

Cons

The limited screen for presentation. The chat icon should be optional because it occupies quite a chunk of the screen.

Francesca W.

Big Blue Button : Communicate with picture and sound

Reviewed on 2018/12/12

Pros

We use this application for e-learning and teaching at my university. It is easy to use and the quality of video and sound is normally good. You can also use it for conferences.

Cons

Sometimes issues accur and you have to log out and log in again.

Sven H.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

The new boss in town

Reviewed on 2020/12/16

Pros

BigBlueButton has made a revolution in video conferencing software. They came from a flash player into HTML5 with excellent sound, video and great presentational features (provided you have a stable internet connection). The software is perfect for teaching, explaining, giving lectures, giving practical solutions in the form of a whiteboard webinar and just all around great. As simple as clicking a link and you're there.

Cons

Maybe there are some slight problems to be solved with the audio and multiple people talking at once, but all in all very little to no cons.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Simple Webconferencing software, but lacking in big name features

Reviewed on 2020/06/18

Overall works well, but would prefer other competitors such as Zoom or Google Meets.

Pros

This software is integrated with Canvas LMS by Instructure, making it easy for schools already using the Canvas LMS to adopt. It has a robust security system to prevent "zoombombing" as only registered people in each course can access the conference they have been invited to with a unique user token. Certain features such as breakout rooms, shared whiteboard and embedded video player would rival other video conferencing software such as Google Meets, and it most definitely has most if not all classroom needs for most schools around the world. The Learning curve is low, and it runs smoothly most of the time. Private chat works very well, and is intuitive to use.

Cons

The design is a bit outdated, and looks a slightly boring. "Hot" features right now such as virtual backgrounds and full screen tile view is not up to par with competitors, and there are small annoyances such as keyboard shortcuts not working on MACs and the need to do an "echo test" every time I enter a new conference which takes several seconds off my precious time. Additionally, the ability to record a conference after having entered and forgotten to click the "make conference recordable" button while creating the conference results in having to have everyone leave the conference and have a new one created. Lastly, although I like the breakout rooms feature, if you so happen to put a timer for the breakout rooms to be less than needed, there is no option to extend the time without having all the breakout rooms close and reopen - something that happens way too often.

Lucy S.

use zoom instead

Reviewed on 2020/04/01

Pros

It was hard for me to use it as a student I missed 9 of my classes in virtual school using this. When my teacher uses zoom it works perfectly and this works horribly.I keeps signing me out automatically and says meeting has not started when it has like 31 minutes ago. It is horrible and barely lets me enter the meeting and so does it with my other classmates.

Michael T.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Videoconferencing made easy

Reviewed on 2018/04/24

When I am presenting something to a group of newcomers and I want to stress or emphasize a particular item, BigBlueButton makes it easy.

Pros

My favorite feature of BigBlueButton is the whiteboard feature because I can highlight things I want to emphasize.

Cons

BigBlueButton has a horrible tendency to freeze up and distort video, and sometimes audio, at the most inopportune times. This has cause me to move BBB from my main to my back up conferencing software, only being used when I need one of the features that only it provides.

Laron H.

Makes videoconferencing easy

Reviewed on 2018/02/20

Facilitates online video meetings.

Pros

I find BigBlueButton very useful for videoconferencing and and webinars. It is easy to setup and launch and the interface is quite friendly. It has all the features I need for a online video meeting.

Cons

No con really, as it does its job well. The only I drawback I can mention is that it operates in a space where there are a lot of tools of the same nature.

April S.

Quick and Easy Set Up for Conferences

Reviewed on 2019/02/07

I would recommend this product to others looking to set up conferences with students.

Pros

This software is great for tutoring sessions with my online students and it can be launched inside of the LMS we are using for our courses.

Cons

The recorded sessions are only available for 14 days.

Anastasis A.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Reviewed on 2018/01/31

Juan carlos G.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

The slft provided video conference

Reviewed on 2021/02/19

It was all nice until we deployed a solution for million of people.
The recording started to fail and some times the conferences got wrong. We needed to imprive the insfrastructur and even that we still having some issues randomly.

Pros

Its open source, and you modify whatever you want on it
There is tutorials about how to setup it
Can record video conferences
Can host several conferences
Several tools on the interface
Can hanfle groups

Cons

Hard to deploy even that there is a lot of tutorial it can be messy to setup.
Needs a high capacity server to handle several conferences.
Not much customizable with out having issues with the setup.
Recording of comnferences sometimes fails randomly.
Cant handle high traffic very well

Harold C.
  • Industry: Design

The streaming open source option

Reviewed on 2020/06/11

for streaming with my teams and my student in a class online

Pros

This software surpriced me when i found, the implementation with Moodle it's very intelligent for make more power full the platform

Cons

the connection in the class it's not very stable, and the option for shared screen it's fail too much times.

• Used Other for 6-12 months

Efficient conferencing tool

Reviewed on 2018/05/07

It is free to host online conference meeting.

Pros

My organization uses BigBlueButton for hosting our meetings. I find it to be very efficient and easy to use. It is a free ad open-source technology so that is a plus.

Cons

I can't really say that i have a con. My experience with using BigBlueButton has been smooth thus far.

Abhimanyu P.
  • Industry: Information Services

Cost effective tutoring software

Reviewed on 2020/09/19

Completely satisfied with this product. Because it's an open source. So I made changes as I want.

Pros

The best open source software for video conferencing. It contain all features having in paid software

Cons

Facing login issue. Very often reporting the same issue by different team members. They were failed to sign in.

Peter M.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Good free webinar tool for our external clients

Reviewed on 2018/03/21

Pros

Great free alternative for doing live seminars and presentations. Has all the functionalities needed.

Cons

The interface does look a little outdated. Wish there was more customization options to make it look and feel the way we want.

Kourtney A.

Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2020/04/03

Overall, I will continue to use this software, and am very happy with it so far.

Pros

Bigbluebutton is easy to use when speaking with a class - easy to use the chat feature on the left and you can even record the sessions.

Cons

I couldn't figure out how to start my video for the video chat with my students, but I am sure I can watch a tutorial to figure it out.

Cathy D.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Constant bugs and difficulties

Reviewed on 2019/06/08

It's user friendly but most of the time doesn't work right. At one point wouldn't work at all in Chrome, they did fix this in subsequent editions but still has many problems recognizing participants' cameras and microphones. Also just plain doesn't work well with wifi.

Pros

You can record and store the recordings online

Cons

Unending problems with recognizing participants' cameras and microphones.

Babak B.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

We integrate BigBlueButton within our Platform for our clients

Reviewed on 2017/10/10

Pros

Platform was easy to setup and integrate with our platform
Product is free to use for our end client so many opt to use the service
Has many features that makes online webinars and training effective

Cons

Overall the prdouct is very good as a free tool but it would be good to have a web-app on iOS or Android.