Teachable

Create, publish, manage and monetize online teaching courses

Jessica A.

It's a great platform for my course

Reviewed on 2020/01/08

I have enjoyed my time with Teachable thus far and I think it's one of the best platforms out there. I'm enjoying the user-friendly process.

Pros

I was excited to find a product that was stremlined and user friendly. I even like that I can register students without registering for their monthly plan. Of course the fees are a little higher with that version but I like the 'try-before-you-buy aspect'. I like the look of it and that you will be able to creat certificates and allow students to track their progress. One of my favorite features is being able to create discount/ special codes when you want.

Cons

I don't like that i have to post a youtube URL if my videos are a little larger. This adds a little complication seeing as I'm not a techie, but it's not insurmountable.

Filip N.

A complete LMS platform

Reviewed on 2019/05/24

We like teachable for easy and fast delivery courses

Pros

A complete LMS platform, a lot of features and custom designs you can use, you can actually build the whole website using teachable with the e-learning part integrated into it

Cons

The price, it's really high, of course, you can use it for free but the commissions are high

Stefanos E.

Teachable review

Reviewed on 2020/12/21

Teachable was one of the first online learning platforms which I got introduced to. I am now using it for creating courses of folk and traditional dances and distribute these courses to people all over the world.

Pros

Teachable provides sufficient course creation, marketing and analytics tools even in its free pricing plan. It also allows for full branding of the online course pages by utilizing custom HTML/CSS.

Cons

Since this is a hosted service, it is good to know that Teachable is managing everything for the creator but at the same time there is not much transparency as to which and how many resources (server CPU power, memory, network bandwidth, CDN) are being utilized. In my opinion, if this information was included in each pricing plan, the creators would be able to better match their course creation requirements with actual hardware resource levels.

Steve P.

A great online course platform that's improving all the time

Reviewed on 2018/04/21

Pros

My favourite thing about Teachable is it 'just works' out of the box. Most of its functionality is intuitive and it doesn't try to add a million features that most people won't use. It's a software tool that knows what it is and who it's for. It makes it very easy to make a good looking site and get a course up for sale. Anyone can get started and be able to do most of what they need to be able to do to create a profitable online course business easily.

Cons

The drawback is in that final 5%. It's easy to make a good looking site, but not easy to make an amazing looking site. I have in the past had some issues with their affiliate system and with their support staff, but to be fair this was in late 2016 and they have made big improvements since then. I would like to see them roll out new features more consistently so that their users are on the cutting edge of online course technology rather than just slightly behind. Teachable is also best for people that don't want to integrate multiple tools. This is also a good thing as it stays focused, but I think it's worth noting here as a potential user should consider that what they get with Teachable is what they get. Don't start using it expecting to link it with a forum later if you don't love how their commenting system works (for example).

Robin F.
  • Industry: Music

Good in some areas. Poor in others.

Reviewed on 2019/02/22

Leadership of the company tends to focus on the money angle but I guess that's to be expected. ("You can make mega-$$$ with your courses!" and some have.) You won't find information on crafting your course but you will find plenty on how to give it a high price tag. If you can avoid the hype and have a third party email app you like to use, then Teachable is a good option. I've found it to be affordable and profitable in spite of the email problems.

Pros

The teaching platform (curriculum videos, PDFs, etc.) is good and uploads are easy. I found that building a sales page was not difficult and sending people to the sales page with discount coupons was a smooth process. Payments were collected and paid out promptly at the end of the month (for my plan). Support is by email only (no chat) and took a couple days but the answers were helpful. The plans are reasonably priced for individual teachers and consultant.

Cons

I have experienced serious problems with their built-in email application. Since this is the primary way teachers communicate with students, it should be a priority for them. There were days when it wasn't working when I needed to send links to live classes and webinars. It's difficult to customize "Welcome" emails and there's no way to schedule sends or save drafts. They recently announced that all emails would come from a strange looking email address that belongs to them (and has been labeled "spam" by my email hosting service). I've drawn their attention to these problems several times. The response is polite but there has been no move to improve the service. It's a very amateurish response. I would recommend looking at other services first OR be prepared to use a third party email service every time you want to reach your students, including new sign-ups.

Linda B.

Fantastic platform for online schools.

Reviewed on 2018/02/28

I was able to create my own online school, website, landing pages and payment portal with ease. I highly recommend Teachable .

Pros

Easy to set up, very reasonably priced and great tutorials and advice for marketing your courses. If you have online curriculum you'd like to share with the world, this is a very seamless process.

Cons

Unable to add HTML features within the curriculum itself. They do not do any marketing (like Udemy), whereas they would market globally and the school owner would get a smaller percentage of the sales. I think this is good for reaching a larger audience.

I host video training courses on Teachable and love their platform.

Reviewed on 2018/06/05

Teachable allows me to quickly and easily organize my video course content in a logical manner. This makes course deployment simple and my courses still retain a professional look/feel.

Pros

Teachable is very user friendly and they offer an intuitive user interface. They have features like drag and drop or duplicate that make creating training courses a breeze. I've used other course creation software and I find that Teachable is easier to understand. They also have a lot of documentation and offer support. Also, check out their facebook group...there's lots of valuable info exchanged there about course creation.

Cons

I'm on the basic plan and I think it's a little pricey, but I get it; they're in business to make money. I wish they had a plan between the free plan and the basic plan with less features than the basic as this would probably be a better fit for me.

Brian K.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Teachable got a steady & reliable platform where I can share my knowledge and expertise with...

Reviewed on 2018/07/01

Self hosting from Teachable. You don't need to have your own sites, which saved a lot of time in putting up a course online to start marketing and selling.

Pros

Modern and simple interface to work with. Everything is self-explanatory. But there are also plenty of help links and tips in the interfaces to guide you as well. You can also email support for help.

You can create an online course hosted on Teachable servers once you have all your content readily created and uploaded. By content, I mean docs, guides, links to videos or actual videos to be uploaded themselves and images.

Everything is intuitive for me to explore and experiment. Teachable has got a standard templating system which I found to be simple and easy for me to set up a course at my own time own target.

Cons

The only con is the pricing! It's going to be expensive to sustain for a year which you can get all the premium features plus all the bundle up training courses that Teachable offers. To maximise your value for money, you may sign up for a paid account during their promotional period, which are usually from the free webinars.

Dariana carolina C.

I really love this sofware because I have everything I need to teach my courses!

Reviewed on 2018/06/29

Pros

I am a language teacher so I need a platform to teach without any worry, Teachable gave me the chance to do it. The first time I used this software was amazing and I fall instantly in love with it because I can have everything organized when I teach my courses. A good thing about this is that you can create all the online courses you want to, even can create some free courses. This allows you to share all the content you need for your classes, you can use GoogleDrive or any other cloud storage site. Also you can create quizzes and evaluations for your classes, forums and give certificates to the participants. The feature that I liked the most is that you have your own domain with the name you select. This is perfect to me!

Cons

The thing that I didn't like is the payment. At the beginning I thought it was a little expensive, but then I realized that it totally worth it so is not an issue anymore.

Carol H.

Good Customer Service and Training

Reviewed on 2019/01/17

I love the webinars; they keep me motivated. You won't receive as much one on one unless you choose the more expensive platform.

Pros

It is easy to use and they provide lots of webinars and training. The training is not only focused on user interface, but also entrepreneurial skills.

Cons

Not much. It could be cheaper. I like that they have a three-tiered program but even these could each be cheaper. Maybe a payoff in the end for the company would be a better strategy.

Akhilesh K.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

It's a good alternative to marketplace platforms like Udemy

Reviewed on 2018/02/15

Pros

Offers a free plan to try the basic features .

The interface is very intuitive and with supporting docs and responsive customer support , the learning curve is not steep at all . The course making interface is simple drag and drop editor and very easy to use .

The aesthetic look of the front end can be made as good as your creativity can take you .

Cons

The content types that can be added are files , videos , quizzes , etc . Just like Udemy by and large . Nothing built on authoring tools like say, articulate can be hosted here . That's a big let down .

Angela C.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Reviewed this product for classroom use...and found a second source of income for colleagues

Reviewed on 2018/06/21

Pros

The software is intuitive and I can use what I load in class and use it. Once it's saved, it's there for years to come. I can have as many students and courses as I want...and I can sell them if I am able to do so (maybe a project for later)

Cons

The pricing of this program makes it lack feasibility for my school or classroom. To have five owners, we would pay a month. If I am able to sell my courses, then this might be offset by the income...I'm unsure since that's not my purpose in use. For classroom instruction, this program probably isn't the best. But, if you have great courses you can sell (private industry), you may make good money with this. It just wasn't a fit for my purposes.

Shannon C.

A solid course builder that's easy to set up.

Reviewed on 2018/02/28

This is a solid platform for selling your online courses. The setup is easy and the learning curve is small.

Pros

I tried Teachable after deciding against a course plugin for my Wordpress site. I appreciate that the learning curve is not steep and that the course setup process is easy.

Cons

Moving around in the course builder is not as smooth as I'd like compared to other course builders. The basic plan options are limited compared to the upper plans, so I'm not getting the need for transaction fees too.

Andrea T.

Makes creating courses easy peasy

Reviewed on 2019/08/01

I have created one course and plan to do another one. I also have taken more courses than I can count through Teachable.

Pros

How easy it is to use. It was simple to make videos and get them up. I was able to create a course in less than a day.

Cons

It can be really challenging to get around the dashboard.

Jennifer L.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Great value

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

All positive experiences! Teachable is so easy to use, but any time you have a question, their knowledge base, courses and support teams can always help.

Pros

Teachable is so easy to use and offers a flexible way to get courses online.

Cons

I would like to add SCORM compliant elements to courses which is not an option in Teachable.

Ivan R.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

easy to sell online courses

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

You can use the system of free courses, but for high-level full-distance education it would be preferable to acquire a different software.

Pros

Easy to use to create a new course and upload the content.

Help develop your brand

Flexible Price Ranges - Offers different price ranges, union of courses, promotional codes and coupons and recurring subscriptions.

If your proposal is giving out you could use free version

Cons

You need more advanced learning tools, are very basic. Dont have possibilities of doing live workshops or setting learning goals. Also does not have projects and portfolios for courses.

Lack of integration - Although Teachable covers the basics, there are areas in the integration that need improvement, is very much based on Zapler

April O.
  • Industry: Ranching

Great for getting course up and running

Reviewed on 2020/08/30

Awesome

Pros

All courses in one place and you can add products to compliment your courses to the student

Cons

Your limited to the amount of student you are allowed based on the plan you are on.

Othman B.

Not for UK course builders

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

Pros

It's easy to use, the platform is simple and straight forwards although you don't have much control.

Cons

My students are from the UK, they pay in GBP, I am also in the UK, I receive my money in GBP.
Since teachable is a US based company, when you pay in GBP, they convert it into dollars, then in order to pay me, they convert those dollars back to GBP, which messes up your income.
You'll end up having two customers who bought the same course, but because the exchange rate changes so frequently you receive different amount for both of them, and when you have lots of students you can really loose track as to how many students you sold the course to, and how well you did business wise.

Teachable U is a great way to learn to create a course

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

Everyone involved is helpful and positive, and that's important when I'm starting a new project like this!

Pros

The support is very good, with a lot of instructional videos.

Cons

The dashboard isn't very detailed, and it takes some time to get to know where to find the elements I need to work on.

Grant B.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

One of the premier options for creating courses

Reviewed on 2020/06/11

So far, impressive product, but still has me evaluating open-source LMSes for now

Pros

I am currently evaluating many LMS/Course creators and Teachable is one of the easiest to deploy on. I was recommended by an influencer who swears by it.

Cons

I wish there was some way for all of these course creators to not cost $30+ a month. It makes getting started a bit harder when you have to pay for a lot of other software alongside.

Ashleigh E.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Premium teaching platform!

Reviewed on 2019/04/13

I love creating visually beautiful courses in Teachable and issuing my students with course completion certificates!

Pros

I love that the course platform is fully responsive!

Cons

The monthly and annual paid plans are a big investment for small businesses.

Hama Y.
  • Industry: Information Services

Bad customer support

Reviewed on 2020/05/14

I will never buy a course again from teachable.

Pros

The platform is easy to use but lacks customer support.

Cons

Teachable doesn't help customers. They refer you to the course creators.

I bought a course created by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and asked for a refund since the course didn't deliver on its promise. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was very hard to get a reach of and didn't care at all of what I had to say.

Charlotte I.
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Simple, functional and easy to use

Reviewed on 2019/12/22

I have enjoyed taking courses from others on the easy to use Teachable platform.

Pros

It's simple to sign up for an account and either take a course, or build your own course that can be monetised.

Cons

It's probably not anything to do with the software, but it's frustrating sometimes when courses expire before you've had a chance to finish using them.

• Industry: Entertainment

Offers so many solutions

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Pros

I was referred to this product for great reasons. It offers so much flexibility with content types and the structure of courses is gorgeous and functional for users (speaking as a student in a Teachable course and a creator myself).

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons that I've seen so far! I really enjoy the software. It has been easy to learn and use.

Tina G.

Teachable Review

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

I am looking forward to create courses using Teachable.

Pros

The Teachable platform allows for easy navigation. I am considering the platform to create my own courses.

Cons

I have not found any glitches within the system at this time.