Teachable

Create, publish, manage and monetize online teaching courses

Ça¿r¿
Ça¿r¿

Always improving

Reviewed on 2021/09/14

Pros

I like that Teachable always deploys new features, listens to tutors and I also like the community they've been developing among the teachers. So, they both try to improve their product and their users at the same time.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to bundle your courses as you like. You have to tweak this and that to get something close to what you want.

Thinkific
Steve
Steve

A great online course platform that's improving all the time

Reviewed on 2018/04/21

Pros

My favourite thing about Teachable is it 'just works' out of the box. Most of its functionality is intuitive and it doesn't try to add a million features that most people won't use. It's a software tool that knows what it is and who it's for. It makes it very easy to make a good looking site and get a course up for sale. Anyone can get started and be able to do most of what they need to be able to do to create a profitable online course business easily.

Cons

The drawback is in that final 5%. It's easy to make a good looking site, but not easy to make an amazing looking site. I have in the past had some issues with their affiliate system and with their support staff, but to be fair this was in late 2016 and they have made big improvements since then. I would like to see them roll out new features more consistently so that their users are on the cutting edge of online course technology rather than just slightly behind. Teachable is also best for people that don't want to integrate multiple tools. This is also a good thing as it stays focused, but I think it's worth noting here as a potential user should consider that what they get with Teachable is what they get. Don't start using it expecting to link it with a forum later if you don't love how their commenting system works (for example).

Robin
  • Industry: Music

Good in some areas. Poor in others.

Reviewed on 2019/02/22

Leadership of the company tends to focus on the money angle but I guess that's to be expected. ("You can make mega-$$$ with your courses!" and some have.) You won't find information on crafting your course but you will find plenty on how to give it a high price tag. If you can avoid the hype and have a third party email app you like to use, then Teachable is a good option. I've found it to be affordable and profitable in spite of the email problems.

Pros

The teaching platform (curriculum videos, PDFs, etc.) is good and uploads are easy. I found that building a sales page was not difficult and sending people to the sales page with discount coupons was a smooth process. Payments were collected and paid out promptly at the end of the month (for my plan). Support is by email only (no chat) and took a couple days but the answers were helpful. The plans are reasonably priced for individual teachers and consultant.

Cons

I have experienced serious problems with their built-in email application. Since this is the primary way teachers communicate with students, it should be a priority for them. There were days when it wasn't working when I needed to send links to live classes and webinars. It's difficult to customize "Welcome" emails and there's no way to schedule sends or save drafts. They recently announced that all emails would come from a strange looking email address that belongs to them (and has been labeled "spam" by my email hosting service). I've drawn their attention to these problems several times. The response is polite but there has been no move to improve the service. It's a very amateurish response. I would recommend looking at other services first OR be prepared to use a third party email service every time you want to reach your students, including new sign-ups.

Linda
Linda

Fantastic platform for online schools.

Reviewed on 2018/02/28

I was able to create my own online school, website, landing pages and payment portal with ease. I highly recommend Teachable .

Pros

Easy to set up, very reasonably priced and great tutorials and advice for marketing your courses. If you have online curriculum you'd like to share with the world, this is a very seamless process.

Cons

Unable to add HTML features within the curriculum itself. They do not do any marketing (like Udemy), whereas they would market globally and the school owner would get a smaller percentage of the sales. I think this is good for reaching a larger audience.

Baidhurya

The most beginner friendly online course platform

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

Pros

Teachable offers all the essential features one needs to create and deliver an online course. The platform is super easy to use and it allows you to get started quickly. The pricing is beginner friendly and they even have a free plan.

Cons

Teachable's website building capabilities are really limited at this point. So, unlike their competitors, they don't offer site themes and the page builder has limited customization options as well.

Sarah
Sarah
  • Used for 2+ years

Fantastic Learning Platform for Online Courses

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

The Teachable Tribe (Facebook Community) are inspiring as they share their success stories and they're super supportive with any queries you might have and the free training Teachable offers through emails and webinars is second to none. Overall Teachable is a great platform - it looks professional and is easy to use, so you can get started straight away!

Pros

I love that with Teachable you are guided through how to build your school in the dashboard intuitively. You can upload course materials with ease and remain confident that your students will find it easy to navigate through your programme and that the finished result will look really professional. The landing pages to promote each course are easy to complete and customise and they load well.

Cons

There really isn't anything I dislike about Teachable, it's perfect for online courses and programmes.

Brian Møller
Brian Møller
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Teachable - Organizes knowledge and wisdom by the people for the people

Reviewed on 2018/12/26

I am still using Teachable and like their plans for upgrading to professional use. However i am not impressed with the feautures nor the quality of work. Though it fit my needs as a first time online course creator.

Pros

Easy to use. A simple framework to set up a complete curriculum. Fine sales pages and features to give students access by drip function. So they have to work their way through before accessing the whole course.

One can also make a great Curriculum framework and reuse for the next and the next. By the function og duplicating a whole course.

Cons

The inflexibility to make the page look and design in a way that fit the needs for ones own creativity is limited. Also the integrations with other software, landingpages, Eventbrite, Facebook is quite lowkey and can need an upgrade soon.
There is very few options for making the page look great in the GUI. But one can use own html to code if so desired.

Rune
Rune

Teachable, a platform for selling your courses

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

I have used Teachable for years. It is one really simple solution for putting products out there, online, without much time wasted, or headaches. I can totally vouch for it and it is used by many serious players because it works so good.

Pros

I love teachable. It makes it wasy for any user to add a product and sell it online. Compared to a lot of other self hosted solutions, Teachable makes it easy to start with selling right out of the bat. Just add your content, and adjust a few tweaks, add price. And voila, information product for sale, without you needed to know any coding or any website creation knowledge.

Cons

I don't have much to say in the negative about this platform.
It plain and simple works, and has good fees.
Only think I can think of is better design control. If they add that and also some conversion boosters that might be a thing to note, which I thought was missing.

David
David

a solid platform for online courses

Reviewed on 2018/04/18

Overall, a really great solution for hosting your training materials.

Overall, a really great solution for hosting your training materials.

Pros

Have a couple of trainings hosted on Teachable and have found it to be great software. Easy to set up and pretty flexible. I like that it's hosted, meaning I don't have the pressure of worrying with the security and uptime of using my own host.

Cons

Wish the first level had more features, like being able to integrate with Zapier in the way that I need it to, which is automatically adding people who buy via my shopping cart.

Meiby
Meiby

One versatileLLMS

Reviewed on 2018/03/27

In my experience it is a great teaching platforms, because it allows me to concentrate only on the part of teaching because I do not know much about programming or program updates since the same tool takes care of that and I can concentrate only on the knowledge that they want to give. Can be flexibility for the different audiencia nivel.

Pros

It has several important features but among the most outstanding is very easy to use since the platform is very intuitive and does not correspond a great challenge to use it, besides having a large number of tools from which I can attend the student as for example the power create blogs and finally their different forms of payment gateways can affiliate with different accounts being an excellent option.

Cons

It is an excellent platform because it is simple for both the teacher and the student, adapting to the preferences of the author of the course giving a great capacity for organization over the various contents.

Jacqueline

Worst customer service I have ever encountered

Reviewed on 2023/03/30

Pros

Easy to use, easy to upload product and host course

Cons

There is no way to reach someone by phone. The only way is email. After submitting an email, a week will go by and no one will answer. You will submit another email requesting an answer and they will reply with an emailing asking for information they had already requested in order to submit the initial help email, or what they refer to as a “support ticket”. You reply with those details a second time, and a week goes by and there is still no answer. You email them again begging for an answer and still no answer a week later. It has been a month, no answer and no way to contact anyone. Most their “help” button lead you to a broken link. Their online chat support is never turned on When trying the ethics link, to report this bad customer service, they put the entire page in another language so you do not know how to report anything. The only way to contact someone is if you want to sign up with teachable and pay an outrageous amount a month to have them host your course, keep a large amount of your sales, and keep a portion of each sale for 60 days. This is possibly the worst company you could ever sign up with to host your course. Never choose them!!!!

Griffin

BUYER BEWARE! Unlimited Plan is a LIE!

Reviewed on 2020/07/27

All seemed fine for the most part as we got setup. We had reached out to their team to check on getting setup on their API and warned them we expected 5,000+ customer during a 5 day time period to be added to their platform. They said that sounded fine and bragged about how they had customer much larger than us with many more customers added in a 5 day period so should be no problem.

We had our sale, we added 8,200+ users to the platform and then we immediately (even before the sale was over) got an email asking for a phone call. On the call they let us know they were happy we were successful as their mission is to help creators, but, sadly, in our case we were too successful.

They gave us an ultimatum of pay them 1% of future revenue, use their checkout, or be evicted in a little more than 1 month.

We tried to negotiate the percentage of revenue but they would not work with us. We tried to see if we could pay for some of the bandwidth overages, but they were not interested in working with us. We asked them if they would just honor their unlimited plan for the 12 months we had already pre-paid, but they were not interested in doing that either.

We asked them to give us the data from the system of Courses and Lessons completed per user so we could transition our 8,200+ customers as smoothly as possible, but they would not provide the data.

Pros

Software is OK. Company is untrustworthy.

Cons

No file security on downloads
Unlimited Plan is NOT Unlimited
[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] unwilling to honor promises of Unlimited Plan
We were forcibly evicted along with our 8,200+ customers!

Suzanne
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used for 2+ years

I would like to like it more

Reviewed on 2020/10/06

The organization and the platform set up are good. The login process is seriously flawed.

Pros

I like that you can track where you are in the course and easily download resources. I like how easy it is to have the lessons structured in a logical manner, and to have different types of resources available to students.

Cons

When I see a course that I want to sign up for that is housed on Teachable, I groan.

I know it is going to take me several minutes to be able to actually start consuming the course, because even though I already have a student account, it is going to ask me to verify my sign-in. This is even though I get my login info correct. No matter what, I always have to verify my login, and either type in a code or click on a link in an email that I have to wait for.

It shouldn't be this hard, and if you are signing in on a previously used device, you should not have to go through the same sequence as you need to if you are using a new-to-Teachable device. At the very least, there should be an option to not have to verify the sign-in for two to four weeks.

• Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

I'd recommend this

Reviewed on 2020/07/30

I love using Teachable, but have a lot of trouble getting others onboard to use it since it has less features than other programs.

Pros

* I love how easy it is to make an online course
* I love having a branded course and they make it easy

Cons

* I don't like how every Teachable course looks identical minus the colour scheme and logo.
* I wish it wasn't so obvious I use Teachable over other softwares

ClickFunnels

Reasons for Choosing Teachable

Ease of use Simplicity

Thinkific

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

Cost is better
Twanna
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Great customer support but…

Reviewed on 2021/10/13

I didn’t like holding funds for a period of time and the fees.

I didn’t like holding funds for a period of time and the fees.

Pros

I love the customer support and how long you are able to try out the platform before making a commitment.

Cons

I wanted to love and use this platform but it was not user friendly and some of the policies didn’t sit well with me.

Brian
  • Used for 6-12 months

Teachable got a steady & reliable platform where I can share my knowledge and expertise with...

Reviewed on 2018/07/01

Self hosting from Teachable. You don't need to have your own sites, which saved a lot of time in putting up a course online to start marketing and selling.

Pros

Modern and simple interface to work with. Everything is self-explanatory. But there are also plenty of help links and tips in the interfaces to guide you as well. You can also email support for help.

You can create an online course hosted on Teachable servers once you have all your content readily created and uploaded. By content, I mean docs, guides, links to videos or actual videos to be uploaded themselves and images.

Everything is intuitive for me to explore and experiment. Teachable has got a standard templating system which I found to be simple and easy for me to set up a course at my own time own target.

Cons

The only con is the pricing! It's going to be expensive to sustain for a year which you can get all the premium features plus all the bundle up training courses that Teachable offers. To maximise your value for money, you may sign up for a paid account during their promotional period, which are usually from the free webinars.

Jeffrey
  • Industry: Design

Was good until they forced Professional Plan

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

Pros

It is easy to set up and can save lots of time versus building a WordPress LMS. And it does give a good amount of functionality

Cons

The biggest con was the support. When ever reporting bugs they always the same response "Its a browser issue" and blaming the browser for everything is irresponsible.

But the real big con is they can not be trusted. When I signed up the basic plan included Zapier connection which is important to sale course from personal websites. But then, without notice, they changed and only allowed Zapier integration with Professional plans.I didn't find out until new students couldn't access their course.

Teachable support didn't even know what happened when I contacted to say the integration stopped.

This is a big reason why I could never recommend Teachable in fact, I would warn others and go with another solution because they can't be trusted. Who knows the next change they make and how that will effect other's businesses.

Latasha

Teachable is great for content creators!

Reviewed on 2020/04/09

Overall, my experience has been great! Their customer service team is super helpful when you need them and the platform is very familiar to a lot of other bloggers and online business owners.

Pros

If you are looking to create courses or to grow your online business Teachable is the place to be. I have been using this platform to host my courses and it has been super great. I love how you can create sales pages for each of your courses to help boost sales.

Cons

The only con about Teachable is that they recently changed how their creators can design their sales pages for their courses. This can be a learning curve if you don't know much about web designing.

Dariana Carolina

I really love this sofware because I have everything I need to teach my courses!

Reviewed on 2018/06/29

Pros

I am a language teacher so I need a platform to teach without any worry, Teachable gave me the chance to do it. The first time I used this software was amazing and I fall instantly in love with it because I can have everything organized when I teach my courses. A good thing about this is that you can create all the online courses you want to, even can create some free courses. This allows you to share all the content you need for your classes, you can use GoogleDrive or any other cloud storage site. Also you can create quizzes and evaluations for your classes, forums and give certificates to the participants. The feature that I liked the most is that you have your own domain with the name you select. This is perfect to me!

Cons

The thing that I didn't like is the payment. At the beginning I thought it was a little expensive, but then I realized that it totally worth it so is not an issue anymore.

Eduardo
Eduardo
  • Used for 1+ year

Great por trainings!

Reviewed on 2019/05/01

If you’re a teacher or if you want to share your knowledge you’ll love Teachable. The main objective of the platform is to create content to share and sell that knowledge.

Pros

You can start making money by generating slides, videos or material. Has PayPal integrations so you can connect directly to your PayPal account. As a teacher or content creator for education you can categorize content, view learners progress and even detect each one's grades. Has a lot of management tools for large groups of people.
You can create a landing page for every course and let the students apply for your courses.

Cons

If you're looking for an internal LMS Teachable is not the solution. But that will be a great opportunity for Teachable to configure and make some updates for a Company LMS product. For sure another business model.

The Ultimate Platform for Creating and Selling Online Courses

Reviewed on 2023/02/25

Pros

Teachable has been an absolute life-saver for me. As a business coach, I needed a platform that could help me create and sell online courses quickly and easily. Teachable has done just that! It's incredibly simple to use and has allowed me to make money teaching my skills in no time. Teachable is the ultimate platform for creating and selling online courses - highly recommended!

Cons

I am unable to identify any negative aspects at this time.

Biggi
Biggi

The most complete online LMS

Reviewed on 2022/08/05

Overall, my experience with the product has been great. But, Teachable, the company, really goes above and beyond to support course creators and help them earn from their knowledge. I definitely recommend them.

Pros

Having been around for many years, Teachable has all the features I am looking for in an LMS. For me, it also has the best student experience of all the hosted or self-hosted LMS platforms.
Unlike other software in the category, Teachable has full email capabilities built in, saving me time and money.
Their help documentation is also very comprehensive and well written, making the need for customer support a rarity.

Cons

The software is great, but I don't like the pricing. The free plan had its features cut so much that it really can only be used as a trial version to evaluate the software.

Antoinette
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Teachable is easy to set up and easy to use

Reviewed on 2022/06/21

Overall easiest to set up and worth most for the money.

Overall easiest to set up and worth most for the money.

Pros

Teachable is relatively easy to use both for setting up online courses and onboarding new team members.

Cons

Some features relating to building the website have bugs which sometimes take time to resolve.

Kajabi

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

Ease of set up and value for money.

Great low maintenance platform

Reviewed on 2018/04/01

Pros

It's really easy to get up and started on Teachable - it's possible if you're not tech savvy (I got my cousin to try it) and really fast & simple if you are. Now that they're adding features comparable with more premium tools - like in affiliate management and customizable checkout pages, it's great to have everything in one spot.

Cons

Its all-in-one nature does mean that sometimes you have a few things - like instant payouts - that are only on the largest plan/more expensive than with a niche tool's plan, but then you'd need to use multiple niche tools.

Mariah
Mariah
  • Industry: Design

The easiest, most streamlined online course platform out there.

Reviewed on 2018/04/07

I'm able to offer two online courses for my blog audience and create a new revenue stream for my business.

Pros

I love that Teachable handles all of the online payments, accepts all major credit cards, and handles any taxes necessary. I also love that they not only offer a platform to host your sites, but also include sales pages, check out pages, and thank you pages.

Cons

I wish some of the reporting was easier to find and understand. It can be pretty difficult to break down income streams within the program. It can also be difficult to maneuver the backend of the site in general. I always struggle to find how to change preset text, as well as find more information about my students (like who completed the course and when, etc).