MeisterTask Reviews

MeisterTask

Collaboration and task management tool

4.7/5 (397 reviews)

Just what I'd been looking for

Reviewed on 1/24/2019

MeisterTask is amazing and I really can't believe what they offer with the Basic version, for free. I finally have all the organizational tools I need, in one place, without having to have a to do list at one place, a calendar at another place, etc. I can't speak to their customer service, as I've never needed it for anything.

Pros

I'm not exaggerating when I say I've tried almost every online task management software in existence. They're all either just not quite right or too expensive. MeisterTask offers a Basic (free) subscription, with several paid levels (Pro & Business) you can upgrade to as needed. Many similar products have free versions, but they are greatly limited in comparison to the paid counterparts (and what you get with each is not always transparent.) MeisterTask Basic is everything I need and it's not just a short-term trial that's going to run out as soon as you're hooked on it!

Like most of entrepreneurs these days, I have multiple projects I'm juggling on a daily basis and it is so overwhelming dealing with software that forces me to lump everything in one place. MeisterTask helps me keep them all sorted out ... and separate, like a virtual filing cabinet/planner/to do list. I've created a board for each project and with MeisterTask, I view each one, by itself, as needed. The boards are made up of drag and drop columns to keep each and every task need and tidy. Plus it's colorful, which I love!

When visiting the site, you're first greeted by your Dashboard, where you can see tasks with approaching due dates from across your Projects. I like how they sort this for you. They've recently added a helpful standalone checklist where you can add quick to dos on the fly and have them there at a glance, without being attached to any particular project.

Cons

The only thing I would change about MeisterTask is that each task needs to be specifically assigned to a "team member" or it's automatically marked as "unassigned". For those of us who are using MeisterTask as individuals, it might be nice to be able to state that somewhere in settings, so all tasks automatically default to us, just to save that extra step. This is just a very minor inconvenience, however, and I had to nitpick to come up with it. It is also important to note that the free version doesn't support recurring tasks, but if you need that, the Pro price is very, very reasonable for the additional features it has.

Easy and affordable for my little nonprofit office

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 3/30/2019

As mentioned before, I have been able to save and categorize my office gmail emails as visually-pleasing, easily-comminicable tasks that can be shared in my little office. It has replaced the ugly little scribble-notes on my desk (for the most part). :) We are a small non-profit (four people altogether) so the free basic account is wonderful, although we are considering the Pro. I have already mentioned it to several friends.

Pros

It is free and an add-on within gmail! And it's beautiful! Our office uses G-Suite, and I was desperate for a replacement for Inbox, which I had been using for the last year because it allowed me to pin notes and to-dos on each email regarding such things as follow-ups needed or website updates for users. MeisterTask allows us to take a gmail email and turn it into a categorized to-do task that I can categorize, assign to someone, and place a due date on. I love that I can have a conversation per to-do and my admin asst and I can get tasks done and tuck them away without ever having to ask each other questions in panic as later follow-up.

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like given what I am using it for. Maybe more could show up there as notifications - such as what is still in progress or yet to complete (or maybe I can set this up in settings somewhere)? I would love to take it to take it to a higher level, because I am using Smartsheets for event management, but I would need to be able to build and save multiple projects (outside of my office tasks) and be able to make use of complex templates and viewable calendars. I'm not quite sure what/where my abilities end with MesiterTask, but then I just started using it. I hope it doesn't go away.

Response from MeisterLabs

We're very happy to hear you're using MeisterTask and that you're also making use of the integration with Gmail! You can customize your notification settings when you click on "preferences" in your project board. Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review Rachel! We'll take your feedback in consideration!

Great Task and Project manager

Reviewed on 3/26/2019

My overall experience is one that I enjoy very much, most days, just looking forward to the new updates to hopefully fix the few things that are missing.

Pros

I love the ability to add custom backgrounds to your project so you can beautify your project and make it more inviting. I like that you can have all your project on any platform, ie apple windows, etc. I love being able to share and assign tasks or entire projects to others and be able to see the progress that is being made.

Cons

I will glad when they finally add recurring tasks, they have been promising this for the last couple of years. It is something that I think should have been on board from the start. I would also like to see individual due dates for each item on the checklist inside of each task.
There are slight differences between the apple app and the windows app. I would prefer that they worked the same way across all platforms.

Response from MeisterLabs

Thanks for taking the time to write this great review! The feature requests you wrote will be considered, please note that recurring tasks are already available through one of our integrations: https://support.meistertask.com/hc/en-us/articles/207368105-Recurring-Tasks

The absolute best way to organize a massive multi-faceted to-do list!

Reviewed on 1/18/2019

We were missing deadlines and upsetting customers because too many projects on our multiple Excel spreadsheets were getting skipped or missed accidentally. Meistertask puts everything right in front of our face and keeps us more organized than we've ever been before!

Pros

We love the ease of use of Meistertask, and how easily it helped us get everything more organized and manageable. We typical have 25-30 tasks running at the same time, so without Meistertask, it would be impossible to keep track of them all. It sure beats the heck out of the old Excel method that we were using for years!

Cons

The bottom horizontal scroll bar is SUPER hard to click accurately because it's so skinny. Plus, since it disappears when you're not moused over it, most people don't even know it's there, and they all complain that they can't easily reach columns that are too far to the right of the page. Make it NOT disappear, and please make it taller so that it's easier to click and drag.

The best software in the world for task management

Reviewed on 1/22/2019

I use MeisterTask for business and private purposes and it 10x my productivity. I can set reminders, delegate certain tasks to team members, use checklists for complex tasks and even build hierarchies of task dependencies. It is so flexible, that you can really do anything with it, especially through the Zapier integration. I can highly recommend it.

Pros

The software is visually appealing, it is easy to use and contains in the free version all functionality you need to start. I like particularly that I can add notes, links, tags, and checklists to each task entry. I can share projects with team members and assign tasks. It synchronizes across all my devices and integrates with my calendars, and even gives out statistics on how long each team member worked on each task. The customer support is very helpful and nice.

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like about this software. I have tried many different task managers in the past and this one is perfect.

Best Productivity app I've ever used!

Reviewed on 1/16/2019

Pros

I've tried about 10-15 different productivity apps - some web based, some app based, some do both - and there is not a single one as robust and flexible as Meistertask. I am a professional mastering engineer for a Grammy award winning Mastering House. There has been no better way to keep track of incoming calls, current clients and pending projects than this app. I can assign tasks to other engineers, add checklists for tasks, and even clearly mark who has paid and who still owes us money. I can't find any other app that has a layout I can control as intuitively. Couldn't be happier!

Cons

I wish I could batch move tasks to another Section. When I need to complete tasks, but move them to another section, the drag/drop works well for one at a time, but when I complete multiple tasks at once, it would be nice to move a bunch - on all platforms, web and iOS.

My Favorite Tool For Organizing Everything

Reviewed on 2/25/2019

I have used this software at a job where it was heavily implemented, and am still using it at my other job that doesn't use it internally and I have had many people comment on how great it is and how they wish their companies implemented it more often. I even used it for organizing my packing list for moving houses, and for a lot of my school work in college. So overall I want to say I love this software, and I hope more companies see just how organized they could be if they were to use it.

Pros

I love the ease of use of this software, as I really enjoy being able to drag and drop items into the easy to personalize columns. I also like how it is integrated with websites like If This Then That (ITTT) to connect the software even more to my email and calendars.

Cons

I wish there was more of the integrations found on If This Then That and similar websites on the platform so I could more easily connect all my platforms. Also, I would like to see a feature that is like the loaded list option in a task, except for a set list of tasks - for example a weekly set of tasks that I could load repeatedly on a certain date like the beginning of a week.

Practically Perfect in Every Way

Reviewed on 1/31/2019

I love love love Meistertask. Our multimedia team implemented it as our task management system three years ago and it has become absolutely central to our workflow. I also use it to organize my freelance work, and even as a real-time meal planner and shopping list. It can handle all my personal and professional projects!

Pros

It's visually beautiful, intuitive, integrative, and keeps an amazing track record of everything done by each team member. Tasks can be traded off with ease, and everyone stays on the same page. The simplicity of format gives me peace of mind that things are checked off and accounted for, and the ARCHIVES! We now have records on over 3,000 multimedia jobs that we can search for reference. It's so easy to use and explain.

Cons

Honestly the only thing to bug me came with 2.0. You can no longer preview Word documents without downloading them, which is kind of a pain when it was so fluid and accessible in 1.0.

An inspirational magical tool

Reviewed on 2/11/2019

I've used about 10 collaborative tools and issue tracking tools, but I think this is the best tool ever. I think it is the best tool for all members to feel good at their tasks, in a true sense, for collaboration.

Pros

Beautiful, intuitive, and filled with essentials. I use the free version, but this is enough. My colleagues (general affairs team) was very curious, and in just a few hours everyone started using it easily.

My favorite thing is that the way I look at my work has changed slightly since I feel good even if I look at it. This means that it can be delightful to look at my to-do list.

If you use a MacBook and a Chrome browser, MeisterTask will help you imagine beautiful and cool things from the morning until you fall asleep, and it also helps you to move your inspiration into reality.

Cons

There have been occasional slowdowns when there are more cards on the screen, but it seems to have improved a lot.

I tried to develop a system that integrates with this, but I'm frustrated by the reality that it can not be developed as beautiful as this.

A Visually Soothing Task Management Solution

Reviewed on 8/22/2018

Pros

I am working remotely for a foreign company and having something like a virtual task board helps in managing, assigning, and tracking task progress.

I like that it is visually stunning as it is customizable. It creates a relaxing work environment that helps me become more productive.

Also, we can create pre-defined checklists for recurring/repetitive tasks.

It has integrations too on software/applications we use which are really helpful like slack, bitbucket, two of which we frequently use.

Out of all the task management app I tried, I like this one the most because of aesthetics, usability, integrations, and customizations.

Cons

Meistertask's recent update rearranged my checklist items and I can't figure out how to reorder them. So I reverted back to th previous version.

Also, I use its Android app so I can still be updated but most times I need to logout and log back in again to get it to sync.

But other than these, I love this amazing tool.

Excellent Display of Project Notes

Reviewed on 2/13/2019

Very useful product. There are a number of ways to save this type of data but none have provided me the speed and consistent layout of MeisterTask. It does work well for sharing info with business associates but I don't use it much for that.

Pros

I work on 20 to 30 projects at a time. Most of them are similar but have critical differences. It is very easy to get the critical elements of the projects mixed up. This provides a place to enter notes in an organized fashion such that it can be called up quickly to provide the project info when a phone call comes in.

Cons

When editing a cell, the "enter" key moves you to the next cell rather than moving down a line within the cell. You have to remember to use "shift-enter" to create a new line. This takes a bit of getting used to.

Everything is kept in the cloud. Creating a local backup of the files in PDF format is time consuming. A macro that would back all the projects up to a single PDF would save a lot of time.

This a great, lightweight tool with a TON of great features

Reviewed on 12/20/2018

This tool has been great for me to organize the tremendous amount of moving parts on several projects and work streams. There are so many activities that are taking place at any given time, and Meistertask has been an extremely easy and effective way to keep track of everything. I think the most powerful part of it has been the flexibility to create my own classifications, tags, and comments on the tasks. It's completely replaced any manual note taking I do and has allowed me to easily document what steps were taken and what needs to happen next.

Pros

I use Meistertask to manage multiple projects and work streams because it's so flexible and lightweight. I even us it for day-to-day activities for my firm and our major client. Very flexible. The Web and iOS versions are fantastic and fast, and the functionality you get even with the free version is incredible. I'm a big fan and the team at Meistertask does a great job with webinars and customer service.

Cons

For overall project management, it'd be great to get a start date and be able to plot some of the activities/tasks on a gantt. That's an old school way of managing a project, but people like to see the timeline visually.

Free Features That Worth Much

Reviewed on 1/27/2019

For many years I have used Trello, several months Asana and really long time Google Keep. And I have searched Kanban like software everywhere. Logic behind Kanban is really good.
I am programmer amateur and I have tried to use some opensource kanban projects to make my own kanban software, but with this tool, your tool, I don't need any other software. I can continue to do what I like with MeisterTask to organize my projects.
I like MeisterTask so much that I have moved all my tasks from Google Keep and projects from Trello (except some organisational projects) to MeisterTask.
Several projecst I have sync with my wife and some friends. I have bring them to MeisterTask software. They like it so far.
This app is great. I love it. So please, keep it simple and customizable, it is important. Thank you very much.

Pros

Simple and fast. I use Desktop version on Windows 10 but I use several android devices as well as iPad. Everywhere is simple as it could be.
Coloring lists is really helpful, Projects are accessible and easy to manage. You can customize many things. Special when is word about tags, recordings, defaults...etc. I never wondered where is what. This tool is logical. Software is working offline so you don't have to be connected to add or remove things. Later everything is synchronized.

Cons

I would like to have price for full software, not to rent it yearly or monthly. I don't have company or big business so I don't need all Pro features. I like free features but If I can pay for full software for reasonable price I would do it. So biggest con is Paying plan.

Meister Task Review

Reviewed on 4/8/2019

I am using it for university purposes. I find it very useful because I got more organized. I am using it every day and at the beggining of the day I just need to see what I have to do, and do it. I spent less time in reading a list of tasks that I need to do today, instead of trying to remember what I needed to do - and in more cases the final result is forgetting something.
I think this software is very useful for every person in school, university, and for sure in work.
I was using some kind of software in my workplace and the benefits were great - everyone knew what to do in every moment. And the separation of tasks was very easy process.
I pretty recommend software like this, cause people nowadays have a lot of work, and they need to stay organized in order not to forget something important in daily life.

Pros

1. It is very intuitive.
2. It is very easy to use.
3. You have all your stages of work in one page - also you can define your won stages.
4. You can create tasks and add to them some extra info - like list of tasks, due dates, assing tasks - and everything very easy.
5. Users will see only their tasks and concentrate on their own activities.
6. You can customize the pretty design which is not bad.
7. It has a global search which is useful when you need to search something in all tasks.

Cons

1. Maybe adding pictures to tasks will be a pros, or adding some files ( well I am not quite sure, but the version I am using does not have this feature )

Well believe it or not, at this moment this is the only disatvantage I see.

Response from MeisterLabs

Thanks for the amazing review. Truly appreciate your kind words! Please note that file attachments up to 20 MB per file are already available, also for free profiles. For further questions please contact our support.

a tidy task manager

Reviewed on 4/11/2019

very positive - good communication & support. glitches fixed quickly.

Pros

web based & stable too; integrates with Mindmeister mindmapping tool; integrates with toggl timer; integrates with Google calendar via IFTTT; task search capabilities; decent android phone app too; any glitches (there's not been many - see cons) are sorted quickly - support staff are good & knowledgeable about the product; template checklist capability is great too

Cons

not much; the odd glitch - parts of the task window going blank then reappearing - sorted quickly (more likely a hardware/driver issue this end); pasting checklist items from a text document used to be easy - then it wasn't - now it's easy again. like i said - not much wrong.

Everything can be held in this tool

Reviewed on 1/5/2019

We have a big project, an up to 6 people are working on it. As the projectmanager I can use it as a mainboard to have an overview what has to be done, and with drag and drop I can put it on top ore more down like the actuall imprtance to my tasks oder to sombody in the group.
Also I can see what are the employes are doing when they notice in the task.

Pros

It is easy to set a task and more easy to drop it to somebody who gets the responsibility, but you still has an look on the things that are be done.
You can fill the tasks with different lists, and every step that was done is stored.

Cons

There is a big button right on top to the left side that is used to finish the task ( in german. Abschliessen) mostly I like to push it when I want to leave the task to go to an other. For that you have to use the small cross on the right side. This you use much more often an should be bigger, then the finishbutton, that is to be used once.

Great for project management or simple tasks

Reviewed on 1/17/2019

I've tried numerous task/project management services (Asana, Basecamp, etc.) but none of them have been as sticky as MeisterTask. It's just so easy and fun to use that it's no longer a chore to keep organized. In fact, it's so easy, I even push my kids to keep their school/life tasks in it. That doesn't mean there's no depth to the software; it is there. It's just designed in a way that simple task management is possible while more powerful features are just a touch away. More people should know about this software!

Pros

The interface is very intuitive. It's beautifully done. You don't need any instructions to get up and going. They have really focused in on the most important aspects of task management.

Cons

I have no complaints. About the only thing I've ever missed is shared project groups.

Organizing the work space on the cloud

Reviewed on 1/15/2019

As a travel agency, we develop a full trip which includes many operators along the way, all with different requirements and time deadlines. Also we need to have the right information at hand 24/7. Is really PERFECT for us... as it keeps all our projects together.

Pros

FUNCTIONALITY::: we need to collect many data to actually manage a project. Images, documents, notes, diagrams, and it all fit!
TIME LIMITS::: It actually has a time marker function... so we know what is really urgent
CLEAR PRESENTATION::: is very easy to move things around
MULTI PLATFORM::: we can inmediatly check the same on the mobile, pc, tablet... simply awesome

Cons

There are some little twicks ... like for example when you are editing some notes... and press the delete button... it actually deletes the note!
Other is maybe a little section resizing would be perfect and to insert some notes within the note

Life saver, life changer!

Reviewed on 2/15/2019

This product has played a key role in my advancements and promotions throughout the years. A lot of my success is because of MeisterTask. I'm no longer afraid to take on roles, projects, departments or anything that requires strong leadership because I know MeisterTask will help me organize it all.

Pros

The ability to add multiple projects with many different viewers and contributors to a particular project. Also love that you can add resources such as documents to specific tasks making it the go-to application for anything needed for that task.

Cons

The only con I've experienced is permissions. I would love to invite a "Viewer" without permission to contribute to a project or give permission to a task in the project.

Meistertask is so helpful!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 1/22/2019

I work for a museum and there are a lot of components leading up to posting an event or program on our website. There was a lot of back and forth, wasted time, and missing links before we decided to use Meistertask to help create a new process. In the workflow we have organized, the program/event point of contact emails a specific email address that we have set up to go right into Meistertask. Someone from our Marketing team monitors the "inbox" and distributes the task to who it needs to go to first (typically me, the ticket sales setup person)- either by "tagging" them in the task, "assigning" them the task, or, in our case, moving it to a column that automatically assigns someone to it and notifies them through email/the app. Then, that person will then "pass it along" by moving the task to a different column to notify the next department (typically the web manager). It begins with the point of contact, goes to Marketing, goes to ticket sales setup, then to our web manager just by dragging the task to a different column. Saves so much confusion and wasted time!

Pros

I love that I can keep my to-do list in an organized area that I can access on any device. It's also great that other team members can collaborate on tasks.

Cons

I honestly can't think of something I don't like about it. This is the first time I've used any task organization software, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Perfect for Freelance Photography

Reviewed on 2/28/2019

I had about 70 projects last year. MTask helped me from the moment of job inquiry to shooting, post production, image delivery and invoice preparation. All sorts of ways I could lose track of things have now been taken care of. It has helped a lot.

Pros

Customizing the categories and very easy learning curve (so easy!). Exactly what I was looking for. It has truly streamlined my client-based projects.

Cons

Sometimes I wish I could format the individual squares to show information slightly differently, but it isn't a true con. 99% of the time the format (and I speak of aesthetics here) are perfect.

Response from MeisterLabs

Thank you Trevor for the amazing feedback! We're extremely happy that you are able to be on track with your photography projects through MeisterTask!

Saved me as a freelancer

Reviewed on 1/16/2019

The ease of MeisterTask has helped me keep my sanity and productivity as a freelancer. Black and white note-keeping has never been as effective for me as I had always hoped it would be; it would always start to blur together. MeisterTask provides the perfect visual analogue to a physical organization system combined with easy note-taking and ways to keep details of a job organized.

Pros

It allows me to keep momentum on a job going by quickly inputting all pertinent info for a job that I can easily reference and move around as I complete various stages of it. I also love being able to drag-and-drop reference images into a task and quickly format notes as lists or sub-lists, and being able to access and make changes to my client's jobs from any device.

Cons

There's not much of MeisterTask that I've been dissatisfied about, honestly. Sure, I'd like to change the background of my dashboard but I can't complain, since I use the free version, and the free version works just as I need it to as-is. Something I'm very thankful for.

My experience with MeisterTask

Reviewed on 2/27/2019

Absolutely Superb! I'll most likely use it for life. 5 Stars!

Pros

I LOVE that I can create multiple projects and individual tasks and checklists within the projects to really stay on top of my massive musical works. This has been a tremendous help in the production and organization of all my musical work and original stories, etc. I appreciate it's organization and easy use functions!

Cons

Sometimes I wish I could still access the program without using wifi, cause at times I will be out of wifi range but I still want to get work done and check things off my list, and when you are not connected to wifi the program doesn't open up or display your available projects.

Response from MeisterLabs

We're extremely happy to hear that MeisterTask is helping you to manage your music projects! Thanks or the great review Akil.

A lesson in simplicity

Reviewed on 1/21/2019

Working as a software developer and team leader. This has always allowed me to work in the flow I like. Not telling me how to organize.

Pros

The ease of use of this software is phenomenal, it allows new users to simply get going and as one discovers new features, you begin to realize the potential.
A perfect example of an intuitive user experience.
I have used Meistertask for many projects, from 1 person to 30 people coordinating, I have been the coordinator and I have been a member of the team. it works brilliantly from both sides.

Cons

I can honestly say I don't have a single bad thing to say about Meistertask.

User-friendly task manager closely coupled to on-line mind mapping software

Reviewed on 3/10/2019

I use MeisterTask as a cross-platform personal task board manager for multiple projects. I try to capture all significant tasks in MeisterTask as part of a GTD approach. My reason for using MeisterTask is largely because I have a subscription to MindMeister.

Pros

1. The ability to scope projects, define tasks and allocated these to team members
2. Cross-platform availability (Windows, iOS, macOS)
3. Easy-to-use GUI with filtering

Cons

The integration with MindMeister is a bit clunky and could be streamlined

Response from MeisterLabs

We're extremely happy to hear that you use MeisterTask daily and that you're also making use of the integration with MindMeister. Thanks for taking the time to write this review Nick!