Populi

Cloud based college management solution for colleges

4,5
4,7
4,3
4,5
4,7
Industry: Higher Education

A solid, straightforward choice for higher-education relationship management

Reviewed on 2020/08/29

Populi is a terrific platform for integrating various data silos across your organization. We moved from a number of different databases into Populi recently, and the combination of all of our information in one place has streamlined our communication process with incoming students and allowed us to more easily collaborate in helping students through processes like enrollment and financial aid. We've struggled with finding some features at times, and in the case of marketing automation, we've discovered that Populi's system isn't quite fully-featured enough for our needs. The UI, also, has a dated feel. Nevertheless, it's a solid, stable platform that gives us integrated access to our contacts.

Pros

Populi is very straightforward, and makes it relatively easy to manage a high number of complex relationships with contacts
Tracking a contact from first inquiry through to alumni donor is very simple
Contacting contacts directly from within Populi works more smoothly than the communication platforms on some competitors
Support is extremely useful and quick

Cons

The automation platform is time-based and lacks some of the triggers and sophistication available in competitors
Some features are hidden inside of layers behind the straightforward UI, and it can be frustrating to track them down
Sometimes, a seemingly simple feature will be missing, and require extensive conversations with support. Support is top-notch and very helpful, but it can be annoying if you prefer to do things yourself.

Weinan Z.
Industry: Education Management

Easy to use, Excellent customer support

Reviewed on 2020/12/04

I believe it's a good product and it has good potential, given the team's impressive efforts toward meet the rapid changing needs of their current and future customers.

Pros

The interface is easy to use for both students and faculty who authorize and manage courses, especially the newly designed side menu that makes navigation pretty easy. Also, Populi's customer service is very impressive - very responsive and professional. They understand very well and resolve your issue very effectively.

Cons

It does not support competency based learning, and the features in the mobile app are very limited. As my impression of Populi is a team that respond to the needs of its customers quickly, I hope it can also catch up in this areas, especially the mobile app.

Jeremy G.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Easy to use but watch out for formatting

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/11/28

Populi seems to be an overall better experience than Canvas both from the user standpoint and the administrator standpoint. It is nice having all of the information I need for my classes right at my fingertips.

Pros

Populi has an app which ensures that I do not miss any comments or messages from my professors. It makes it easy to review my grades and keep track of my progress. I also can download the current syllabus on to my phone to access whenever needed.

Cons

The only drawback to Populi is the process of reviewing papers after the professors have commented on them. It isn't that big of a deal, but one has to login to the website in order to see the comments and recommendations. It would make it a little bit more convenient to be able to access this feature in the app.

There has also been times when the footnote formatting somehow was changed changed during the upload process. I let my professors know about the issue just in case it happens again.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Isaac B.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Populi provides a solid solution for online learning

Reviewed on 2019/10/18

Overall Populi has been a very solid product for e-learning. Although it is not an elegant or beautiful UX, it gets the job done and would be a fine solution for any online learning needs.

Pros

Populi is a stable and decently feature rich platform of online learning. They offer the ability to create online lessons, quizzes, tests, embed videos, upload assignments, creature student and teacher profiles, line to resources, and nearly any other feature you may need for an online platform.

Cons

Compared to some competitors however, Populi is limited. It is does have a bit of a learning curve, the overall aesthetics are plain and lacking, it can be cumbersome to locate assignments or documents if the professor has not uploaded them in the right spot, and there is a user fee that must be paid by the institution (not directly by the user).

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Mahala W.
Industry: Religious Institutions

We use Populi for a couple of our separate departments websites and they like the ease of access

Reviewed on 2018/04/19

Pros

The customer service and ease of use with setting up programs on our website has been tremendous. We can have settings however we want them .

Cons

We don't have any complaints for this software. It has been working great the couple of years we have used it.

Susan W.

I love POPULI !

Reviewed on 2013/11/07

I have been using the system for 3 years now and it keeps getting better and better. I liked it from the beginning and it just keeps improving. The developers listen to their customers and add tools that make our life easier. The response time for questions or help is outstanding. There are many learning tutorials in the help section with instructions and videos to assist in the process of learning the system. When it comes to reporting, I find it saves hours when compiling IPEDS data. This year the reporting section was improved to the extent, it cut my research time in half.
There are parts that I do not utilize like financial aid only because we utilize a third party service.
End of the year 1098 T's are at my finger tips. I export the information in to excel. I have not figured out how to split the total tuition paid for those receiving Financial aid and 50% VA benefits that aren't reported on the 1098 T. Maybe being able to edit the totals would be helpful.
Would I recommend Populi to other schools? Yes, I cant see operating without it. The more I use it the better it is.

Erin F.

Easy to use & great customer service

Reviewed on 2016/03/21

We switched over to Populi after using a different software for years. Populi makes it really easy to create transcripts and make sure students are on track to graduate. It's great that we can integrate many different components (grades, discipline, housing, finance, etc.) in one location. It makes obtaining information quick and easy. The different roles are great for controlling who has access to what information.

Also, customer service has been amazing! Phone calls help because they can see what we see on our screen, which minimizes confusion. Even if we email or submit a request online, we get responses within 24 hours. Their staff is really helpful. Their online tutorials are great as well and they've even reached out to us to do demos.

Sherry D.

Customer Service Is Awesome!

Reviewed on 2014/02/05

I have used Populi for a few years now. It is very user friendly and meets all of our needs as a small Bible college. The best part about Populi is their customer service. All the guys in tech support are quick to answer, polite, and very knowledgeable. It seems there is always someone on duty, ready to answer any questions I have. For instance, I work in the finance department and realized I had done some transactions incorrectly. This was very nerve racking as a deadline for a report was drawing near. Customer service was able to fix my error behind the scenes just in the nick of time! The program stands on its own feet, but the customer service is the icing on the cake.

Raul L.

Excellent Course Mangagement System

Reviewed on 2014/11/24

Populi is a great college management system. I have been administering the system for 3 years now and no complaints. The design is sleek and very manageable. Populi developers are amazingly open to suggestions in regards to improving their system with additional features from their clients. Their support team speedily respond to emails and in troubleshooting and resolving any issue. I highly recommend Populi as a solution for your institution!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions (from a user standpoint).

Meghan M.

Love using Populi!

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2018/04/24

Pros

I love the development and donor management portion of the software. It is very well organized and allows for detailed reporting and tracking details.

Cons

Training could be more in-depth and specific to each department. Faculty in particular seem to have a hard time with transition.

Ken S.

absolutely every small college (and big) must have this.

Reviewed on 2009/03/13

absolutely every small college (and big) must have this. I will recommend Populi to all my constituents

Pros

ground floor, feedback process, quality people, quality interface

Cons

email integration causes duplicate draft items

Jiska D.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Rating only

Reviewed on 2017/10/12
Kristen H.

Great all-in-one SIS

Reviewed on 2018/05/03

Pros

This software is very intuitive, and staff, faculty and students have gotten completely up to speed in a very short period of time. Being hosted on the web means students and staff can log in from anywhere with any device and backups are taken care of automatically. The built in LMS features are really robust and have eliminated the need for google classroom, survey monkey, and other fixes we had been using.

I am also very impressed with the built in reporting; there are preset reports for clearinghouse, IPEDS, retention etc.. and the ad-hoc reporting tool allows for almost unlimited custom reporting.

The support staff team are very kind and responsive, and the data conversion from our old system was virtually painless. When searching for a new SIS we interviewed over 8 firms and are very glad we settled on Populi.

Cons

There are very few things we have found that we wanted that the system was not already set up to do, but for these you can always suggest product enhancements to the support team.

Phil W.
Industry: Education Management

Why did we wait so long?

Reviewed on 2020/10/21

Our company has had no one who wishes we could go back to the way it was before Populi. Support has been consistently helpful, patient, and nearly always impressively prompt. I think it would be true to say we have never enjoyed this level of qualified, friendly support from any other software vendor.

Pros

It is clearly designed for our industry - most of the features we might like it turns out are already in place. It is so great to have student records, financial records, academic catalog info, communications, and even recruitment working in the same integrated environment.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult or impossible to select the exact dataset we are interested in finding, or to create reports that would be useful to us. I think we can expect this with any software not custom-designed for our company. It is also true that by exporting data, we ca work with it in other software to get where we want to go . . . it can be just a bit long-handled sometimes.

Martin W.
Industry: Higher Education

Best SIS system for smaller colleges that we have used

Reviewed on 2020/04/29

We couldn't be happier. Our sales contact gave us multiple demos of the different modules, trained us and was there for us during every step of the implementation. Everything was done remotely but it works well and there is no additional cost, which is extraordinary. I have helped implement three different SIS systems and the data transfer to Populi was the most efficient and painless I have experienced. The customer support is responsive and goes above and beyond what I expected. Overall they seem to really care about our success and we enjoy working with them.

Pros

It's designed by people who obviously understand the needs of a higher education institution. It is easy to use, intuitive, flexible and fast. You don't have to find ways to work-around problem areas, it just works amazingly well. The integrated LMS is smooth and very capable. The integration of the different modules e.g. student billing and financial aid, is seamless. The customer support is amazing. The implementation costs are next to zero.

Cons

It is designed to be simple to use so reporting and security permissions are not as flexible as our previous system. We have adapted to that though because the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. The customer support team also run customized reports for us when we need them and they are constantly making improvements to the system.

Joshua F.

Gets the Job Done

Reviewed on 2019/12/20

Populi does everything we need it to do, where in the past we've had to use multiple programs for grading, attendance, and messaging. It does seem a bit basic and simple, but it gets the job done.

Pros

Populi has the ability to log grades, take automatic attendance via bluetooth, send school-wide messages and emails, as well as host online content like quizzes and discussions. It has all the essential tools at your disposal.

Cons

The user interface in Populi doesn't appear very streamlined or modern. It leaves a bit to be desired in terms of streamlining student profiles and their ability to interact on the platform.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Mark L.
Industry: Education Management

Solid solution for small/medium schools

Reviewed on 2016/07/20

This solution is smartly designed and offers all of the tools necessary to operate a small or medium sized school. We have about 300 active students in our system, at multiple campuses, with both online/residential students, and Populi can handle our needs well. A few features are lacking that would be of interest to larger schools, such as an integration that will allow batch processing for our F1 students in SEVIS, or in-depth form builders, but the core functionality is certainly there.

Pros

Good and reasonable pricing, well designed, easy to use, and excellent support.

Cons

There are a few features that we would appreciate, such as the ability to use the built-in video hosting without having such a high degradation of quality, but overall our experience has been positive.

Abdullah U.

I'd give 6 stars if possible

Reviewed on 2016/11/28

We've been using Populi since 2013. When we started a new school, we searched for an affordable college management solution that can offer an integrated solution for our basic needs such as admissions, financials, library etc. Populi was our decision and we are extremely satisfied with the product. I used a number of similar software as a student, and I don't know as an administrator's perspective but in a student's perspective I think Populi is the easiest to use. The design is very clean and modern. I think the young students want to see stuff in a particular way. Redundancy is a big turn off. It's hard to explain but for example people don't want to click save for every step of their admissions. It's like these subtle thinks that you don't really think about but when you see it you makes you pleased. The designers at Populi does that. Mobile app is available and

Customer support is phenomenal. They answer fast and answer good, with screen shots and all. Fast and to the point. They listen. The users can request new features and see them getting worked on and implemented. Some users may find some features missing or hard to use and I understand that. But I can always say that, from my personal experience , the support team is there to help.

Pros: Customer support, price, design, extent of features, ease of use, frequent updates for new features.
Cons: Nothing that I can think of.

Brenda S.

Reviewed on 2009/03/12

Overall this system is very good. We haven't even seen its full potential yet and already very happy with the product. It is a huge improvement over our past system. I see us happy with this for years, particularly when we know the future features to be added.

Pros

The product is easy to use and intuitive.There is much room for continued growth both within our company and our ability to utilize all that populi will be able to do in the future. I am looking forward to the online applications and financial feature. Student access is wonderful as well.

Cons

The product sometimes seems more tied to a business information system that an educational system. The drop down menus get old quickly and are tedious to use particularly when entering dates and state information. It would be nice to have text boxes that pick up as soon as you begin typing.

While new to using Populi, our small school finds Populi easy to use, and staff willing to help.

Reviewed on 2018/01/11

Ease of use and confidence that the company stands behind their product and ready to assist the suer.

Pros

Tailored for the small school, Populi is very intuitive. They have worked hard to think through typical issues of the user. Almost any question I have had as an administrator was easily addressed in the Knowledge Base. And the few times when I could not find something, the support staff was there with a ready response.

Cons

There is not much guidance for faculty. This deficit is not an issue for younger members who are accustomed to intuitive navigation of new websites. For older faculty, however, this is a stumbling block. That having been said, Populi support staff are willing to do video overview training.

Rob P.

Wesley Biblical Seminary

Reviewed on 2016/10/26

I wanted to drop a line to you guys and gals at Populi. To be honest, Populi has been one of the most beneficial blessings we have at WBS. You all have given us superb support, data migration, and professionalism. Everyday our team is enjoying the process of learning how to use it more efficiently. Thanks so much.

Pros

Customer Service superb
Affordability
User Friendly SIS

Cons

Library System not compatible with the MARC system yet.

Luciano L.

Great experience so far in our implementation and orientation.

Reviewed on 2014/07/23

A note to let you know that your support team has been fantastic in this phase of implementation and orientation. The response to our inquiries are thorough and helpful and your openness to helping us tweak functions is instilling a lot of confidence in our staff. Thank you for your help through this process!

Michelle C.

Overall, It's a very good product that is meeting our needs

Reviewed on 2009/03/24

Overall, It's a very good product that is meeting our needs

Pros

This allows for everything related to daily college life/activities to be contained in one place.

Cons

Some of the features work a little different from how I expected them to work but getting adjusted to them wasn't bad

Gene S.
Industry: E-Learning

This has worked well for us

Reviewed on 2020/08/07

Previous 2 SIS software were expensive and hard to use. Populis has been a much better fit with staff and students

Pros

Easy for staff to learn. Integrates with the LMS we use

Cons

Some integration glitches, but good tech support.

Ozlen K.

Great for small institutions

Reviewed on 2016/09/02

Even though, I had some trouble with pulling data previously with customer support we had overcome most of the obstacles. I believe with right training the program can accommodate most of our needs as small institution. I highly recommend populi to small institutions like us with an advise to inquire and receive proper training when you initial start using it. Don't hesitate to ask for training and make sure to allow your staff a time for training.

Pros

Accommodates small institutions with very reasonable pricing.
Customer support is very responsive to inquiries.

Cons

Learning how to use efficiently needs a proper training by Populi expert.
It is difficult to learn by self training through videos and tips.