Toggl Plan Reviews

Toggl Plan

Helping teams plan their time and juggle lots of projects.

Laxmy
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

Extremely good product! Really glad that I came across it.

Reviewed on 2020/06/11

Pros

Ease of use, look and feel of the product and the functionalities available, makes this product value for money. The timeline view is super impressive and it really helps me get a real time view on what each one of my team is working on.

My review will be highly incomplete without mentioning the quick support I got from the Helpdesk team especially [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. They were prompt with their responses and went to the bottom of issues to help me resolve them.

Cons

I won't say that I have any least favorite features. I would rather mention that ones that would be a good to have.

Would like to see the Board view live which is being tested at the moment. It would be highly helpful to add reminder emails for set tasks and not all. Would be good to be able to add dependencies on items and also be able to assign more than one person for the same task.

Response from Toggl

Thank you for the kind words and for sharing your experience!
I wanted to clarify one thing mentioned it is already possible to assign more than one person for the same task in Toggl Plan. You can do it in the task pop-up by simply adding as many names as needed to the same task. Hope this helps! :)

Anita

Simple, but effective

Reviewed on 2020/04/27

There are a ton of project managers out there and I think I've tried just about all of them. As I noted earlier, it's just me and the clients I serve so I don't need a lot. But I do need an easy way to keep track of what I'm working on without feeling overwhelmed. Toggl Plan helps me stay focused on the "main thing" to get it done and move on to the next.

Pros

As a solo professional, I wear a lot of hats. This software will help you keep track of all of your "hats". It's simple - which means you can get up to speed quickly - and you can see what you need to do each day at a glance.

Cons

I wish this software had the ability to set up recurring tasks - and that it connected with Toggl's timer & invoicing app - but other than that I really can't think of anything else I'd want.

Stacy

I use Toggl to keep track of my work hours

Reviewed on 2017/11/01

Pros

It's fairly easy to use and keep track of several projects I work on during the day. Also the reports are nice.

Cons

Sometimes parts of the screen are hard to see and it seems a bit flaky or buggy. I sometimes need to click a few times to get my entry to take.

Thomas

A pretty great and unique looking app for tasks in a timeline

Reviewed on 2020/06/17

I personally use Toggl Plan only for managing myself (both for my job but also for my personal projects), and it is essentially a log tool more than a planning tool.
There aren't any specific reason to not use this app to its fullest, but the features suit my needs perfectly.
What I really appreciate with using Toggl Plan is that I can have a great overview of all the things I've done along the timeline - which is pretty motivating.

Pros

What I really appreciate with Toggl Plan is the way of displaying the tasks on a horizontal timeline. It sounds pretty simple, but haven't seen any other product proposing such ergonomy. And the UI/colors have always been pretty nice which make it really pleasant to use.

Cons

One issue I can think of with Toggl Plan (which is not that big) is the performances. On powerful enough computers it's smooth, but I often use it on a Windows tablet (Yoga Book v1) which is limited - however other web apps look smoother than Toggl Plan. Though, the timeline navigation is obvisouly heavy in DOM manipulation thus it's understandable.
And finally I would really like to have a "2 weeks" view : The "week" view is too large for having an overall view on the tasks, and the "month" view makes the tasks' titles too short to read.

Daniel
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Simple and Favorite time keeping app!

Reviewed on 2018/12/06

Pros

I love toggl. It's so focused on what it's meant to be; a time tracking app. I've tried a number of apps like this and they all require a lot of clicks or taps to get it started. This one is simple and had the least number of steps to start tracking. The mobile app is just like the website so there's no trouble in using either platform. It just simply works and helps track the work.

Cons

One feature wish is that it would track what programs you use. I've seen some productivity apps that track what apps or programs you are using and for how long, having this and a project timer would be ideal for tracking not only how long you are working on something but also which programs you have to use most in project.

Miguel
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Solid time tracking for individuals and enterprise environments

Reviewed on 2018/11/19

Toggle does have it right and if your business is more about tracking time for billing purposes, this might very well be the tool you need. It is not overkill and it provides everything you need for billing purposes. It goes that extra mile with reporting mechanisms that provide visibility into your business profitability. And it goes beyond tracking a project but, rather, tracking your entire portfolio and teams.

Pros

Toggl offers a solution for individuals, small business and enterprise environments, alike. It provides visibility at an individual level, as well as an overal team level. If provides the time tracking of a project with the overview of a program. Toggl also offers an extensive list of reporting mechanisms that extend beyond the traditional number of hours per project. With advanced features like the ability to identify profitability across one or more projects, Toggl can actually become a project management tool in environments practicing a Kanban or Lean Agile approach.

Cons

The subscriptions might not necessarily provide the specific features you seek in their breakdown. Chances are that depending on your business size, you might find that going from one level to the other may or may not offer exactly what you need and give you more than you really desire. In other words, you might need to jump to the next subscription level for that one and only feature you need, and not necessarily all you are paying for.

Luis

THIS SOFTWARE IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY EVERYTHING IS BETTER IN MY LIFE

Reviewed on 2020/06/08

In toggl I find my focus is the place were i task every Teamworks and is the place were i put all the thinks and thinking's I consider fundamental for the success of the department and is the place were my bosses could now at I am doing and what I'm going for

Pros

The simplicity of use and and the way I can assure those tasks for my colleagues the Wonder the timeline and I can't could see the different areas of the my plans
In the past I try different softwares of them same a area toggl plan is definitely the best one

Cons

I don't like i can't change the color when I text in the rain the software is like right in different colors and not only in black color iken detecting bold overline under line if then not connect change text color and like a lot if I can do that simple thing

Laura
  • Industry: Design

Great visual tool

Reviewed on 2020/06/17

Visual planning makes really sense in my visual business. It really gives me a sense of how much work a project is. The design of Toggl is really well done, and this makes it fun to work with.

Pros

The tool shows a clear timeline with all my projects. It's a super nice interface with all projects visualized on the calendar. I love the colors, design, and usability.

Cons

The only thing I didn't find yet is the option for repetitional events to set up like in paying days or monthly occurring events. My iPhone calendar has this function and I miss that in Toggl. But it might be in the paid version, I'm currently using the free version. Which is very nice by the way! So many options!

Gilbert
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Toggl Plan - A silky smooth experience from truly useful software

Reviewed on 2020/07/27

I find Toggl Plan very pleasing to use overall. I also really appreciate nice little touches like right clicking to copy/paste task blocks, or a native dark mode which make using this app a piece of cake. It's obviously been designed by people who actually use it.

Pros

+Easy to use and get set up with and easy to add teammates to

+I liked that I could split up tasks by categories but then see everything in the birds-eye project view

+Functional and quick to use, with handy importing task features (ie from CSV) or via a chrome extension

+I absolutely LOVED the drag interface - feels way better than manually entering in start and finish dates, and I liked that I could simply drag the task block to other team members if needed

+Quite a generous trial version (and support was really friendly and helpful and didn't pressure me to buy the premium version which makes me much more inclined to buy)

Cons

-If I was going to be picky, I'd say some of the default colours for task blocks are a little too glarey (but it's easy to change them).
-It would be super nice if there were a few more native integrations, but I'm sure these will come with time

Lee

Planning is a breeze

Reviewed on 2023/06/22

Pros

Easy to schedule team members in a variety of departments, drag & drop makes it even easier, works well with Toggl Track and JIRA.

Cons

No real negatives, even the cost isn't too bad for a business.

Abel
  • Industry: Animation
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Abel's Review

Reviewed on 2020/03/05

Pros

It is easy to work with and plan the animation film production for my students

Cons

Printing should be MUCH better. It makes all sense to print the plan in a full row.
My students usually tries to get to toggle platform, which is another thing. Toggle Plan is not a nice name.

Favro

Reasons for Switching to Toggl Plan

I didn't switch from another product because I tried all in the market before and choose by Toggl Plan because the usability and the kind and fast replies, and of course they also offered discount. Other also offered discounts but not with same easiness of use. I think Toggl Plan is the best in terms of Film Industry Production Planning.
Mark
  • Industry: Medical Devices
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

The daily schedule

Reviewed on 2020/06/24

I only use Toggl currently for the day to day operations. I load PDF's and text content.

Pros

This application is web-based and very easy to set up and manage. It allows management to easily add new users and schedule resources very quickly. Editing is super simply by clicking and dragging. If there is an issue and you contact the support staff they normally reply within 60 minutes. They are very helpful and are always looking for innovative ways to make the product better. I give them an A Plus!!

Cons

The only thing that I feel is a problem is when add several team members to one project and if you delete the placeholder they all are deleted. It would be nice it would not delete everyone that is on the project.

James

Mobile Apps? Music to my ears!

Reviewed on 2018/11/23

We absolutely love this app besides the pricing issues. It works very well, and it gives us all of the features we need. This app is worth the money just for the mobile apps.

Pros

Obviously, one of the best aspects of this program are that there are available apps for Android and Apple. This is very handy, as most of our work is done on-site rather than just sitting at the desk. We used to have our employees turn in an email that said their hours, but now we are using this program, and it’s much more accurate.

Cons

The pricing can get a bit complicated with the subscription service. It can be a pain when you need all the features of one tier and just one feature from the next tier but don’t want the rest of the features. It seems like it might be a little bit of a waste at that point.

Lauren

Perfect tool for independent contractors to log time on multiple projects/clients

Reviewed on 2018/05/10

Would love a timebox or pomodoro timer element added to help drive productivity.

Pros

Easy to organize and log time for multiple clients and projects. Automatically groups hours according to client/project and color codes. Easy to report hours by client and/or project to multiple file formats (PDF, csv, etc) and at different levels of detail. Easy to edit dates/times when necessary. Mobile app is perfect for keeping time on-the-go.

Cons

Unable to customize the columns that are reported, so requires me to manually remove unwanted columns when formatting reporting for employers.

Algirdas

Great time tracker

Reviewed on 2020/04/19

It was good. Did not experience many problems. But the ones I did experience were fixed fast. Easy to use

Pros

It was nice that I was able to track time of all my different projects. I have been using this to track how much time I was working on each project. And was happy that I was able to do so. Also it is nice that I can see a whole history of time tracked

Cons

APP could be better. I had trouble finding all functionalities on app that are on the web. Gganted I was using it before their newest app version

Eddy

Toggl helps us planning resources better

Reviewed on 2020/06/17

The ease of use and the extra insight you get with toggle about our planning is really nice.

Pros

We use toggl to help us plan resources in a sprint (our teammembers -- who will pick up which story and when)
With toggl we can better plan who will do what in a sprint so that we can be more transparant with our planning -- will we make the sprint or not? -- on a daily basis.

Cons

Our sprint lasts 2 weeks, but the view does not have that option, it is 1 week or a month.

Alexa

Time Tracking Made Easy

Reviewed on 2018/01/03

Pros

Toggl is an amazing program for time tracking. As a freelancer, I often need to track my time on individual tasks and projects. Toggl was a great choice for me personally. I love the ability to add multiple projects (clients) as well as subtasks to track. Using Toggl has made it so much easier to have an accurate representation of how much time it actually takes for each project.

Cons

Like any time-tracking device, it is easy to forget to turn off the timer when you've finished a task. With the desktop app, I've found it easier to monitor when the app is tracking as opposed to using the browser version.

Lindsey

Easy to Use Time Tracker

Reviewed on 2016/03/07

Pros

Toggl is very simple to use. I've had team members use it so I can see what they spend the most time on to improve their efficiency. It's as simple as adding or selecting a previous task and starting the timer. Once you are done, stop the timer and switch to your next task. The best thing about the product is it's ease-of-use.

You can also track time offline. This is a great tool for if you are needing to track your time traveling or in meetings without internet access.

Cons

If you forget to stop the timer from running, the software will not warn you. For example, if you need to step away from your computer for a while and your computer goes to sleep, the timer will continue to track. You can update the time once you come back, but you'll just need to remember when it was that you stepped away originally.

Randy

Useful for the self-employed

Reviewed on 2019/04/26

Pros

I needed a software that could help me record multiple tasks at the same time, so I can adequately send invoices to my clients.

Toggl provided that by allowing me to cover my learning periods, time spent writing and performing extensive research for projects.

It didn't take long to understand how to use this, even for first timers and after being recommended it for my business I'd like to do so for whoever reads this review.

Toggl ended up saving me the hassle of creating an elaborate system to manage my time, and solved it with a simple click of a button.

Cons

One thing I'd like to see is the availability to use multiple timers. Sometimes I can perform writing for 2 clients on a similar topic, but start and end at different times.

It would be nice to be able to pause and continue these timers in tandem with my work.

Also my memory is terrible and sometimes I forget to stop by timer, so an app to access and pause at my convenience would be extremely helpful.

Lastly, since I'm travelling a lot as I work, often I encounter places with poor internet connection and my timer can malfunction when this happens, so a way for it to keep going without internet would be a bonus as well.

Raewyn

Timekeeping made easy

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Pros

It’s so easy to use. Literally press the start and stop button when you start and finish what you’re doing. Even when you forget, it’s prompts you. And if you remember later, you can also edit the entries or post one belatedly.

Cons

The prompts while useful can become annoying when you use the computer for non-work related matters too.

april
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Neat software to be more productive

Reviewed on 2020/07/31

Pros

1. very clean and user-friendly interface
2. free for personal users to organize different projects
3. very easy to pick up (set plans/tasks, switch status, etc)
4. useful tips sent by customer support team
5. can send communication to slack

Cons

1.can't bring your plans with you (no app that can syn with the calendar, neither an optimized webpage to check to-dos on cellphone)
2. no good options to create an operation or a repeative activity
3. not easy to prioritize tasks by dragging them up and down in the timeline.

Response from Toggl

Thank you for your kind feedback. :)

I also have some good news - we're currently working on our mobile app so you could take your plans with you anywhere. It's a work in progress and will definitely take a few months to develop but we're on it!
We're also working on a solution for repetitive tasks so stay tuned.

Sander
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Great planning tool

Great! We use it daily.

Great! We use it daily.

Pros

Easy, no-nonsense planning tool. Great customer service, very open to suggestions.

Cons

There was an update a number of people didn't like, but after contacting customer service, they listened and changed it.

• Used Weekly for Free Trial

Best Plan Ever

Reviewed on 2020/05/28

Planning is much simpler with Toggl Plan. It integrates well two important views of the tasks' organization. It is easy to share a view mode and keep a record of tasks completeness. I may be wrong but it looks like the bar that indicates late delivery on Gantt was replaced by an icon status, which is the link with the columns in Kanban indeed. This has taught me a better planning practice, however, I missed a way to measure my performance because I can't see my working pace.

Pros

It can easily switch between Kanban (board view) and Gantt (timeline view), allowing the understanding of different nuances of the project planning. Also, the scroll works very well on the timeline view, since we only need to hold "shift" while scrolling to go forward and backward throughout the dates. The drag feature with multiple tasks is awesome too.

Cons

Sometimes the page loading time takes so long. Sometimes the tasks duplicate while dragging the activities on bulk edit mode. And there isn't a horizontal scrollbar, and I don't think intuitive to hold "shift" to scroll for both sides. I took a while to find it out. At last, milestones could be integrated to external calendars.

Brandon

Get your time back

Reviewed on 2023/02/14

I absolutely love it!

I absolutely love it!

Pros

This changed my process forever. I'm so much more efficient.

Cons

Sometimes I realize I'm wasting time on things I like doing.

Harvey
  • Industry: Telecommunications

One of the best time trackers I've ever used

Reviewed on 2018/07/10

Pros

With even the free version for tracking a simple process or multiple processes, one would prefer a timer like this over even Google's free timer, just due to the innovative features such as collaboration, description of time tracked, and reporting, not to mention the beautiful aesthetic design.

Cons

The only drawback when using this product is when using it as an addon for another favorite product of mine (Trello), it doesn't always run as smooth when tracking the tasks from my Trello tasklist.