Microsoft Power BI

BI visualization and reporting for desktop, web or mobile

Imi C.
  • Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Excellent tool for small offices and datasets but can lead to frustration overtime

Reviewed on 2021/03/14

I am generally satisficed with the product, price and ease of learning with lots of YouTube video and the Power BI community, there is always something new to learn and implemented to improve or help meet your reporting requirements.

Pros

Easy to get started with Power BI if you are on the Microsoft 365 platform. Power Bi provides an easy to connect and interactive method for pulling data in real time from data collection system such as the SharePoint online, MS Excel and others. The ease of connecting with SharePoint is the strong point for my review.
Having the Power Bi connected to the SharePoint system provides the opportunity to have real time dashboards and dynamic reports for any small organization that is wishing to provide real or near to real-time reporting without the heavy upfront implementation cost for software, training and human resource.
Microsoft has indeed liberated the Dynamic Reporting with Power BI, and has also allowed for some very elegant web reporting to be created by non technical users.
My simple work flow , SharePoint for data collection, PowerBi for reporting.

Cons

The main issues are around the changes that are made by Microsoft, this will always be a learning curve for the users.
The lack of consistency on certain actions will be the biggest issue.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great BI tool for my presentations!!!!

Reviewed on 2019/05/24

Although Power BI can be a little difficult to use it is still a great tool for creating graphs and charts for presentations. It is also great for compiling and analyzing data and creating dashboards.

Pros

I like Power BI because it offers a professional look to presentations. I am able to create and manage dashboards for my various projects. I can upload data from other tools like Excel and use the data to add to or update my dashboards.

Cons

The tool can be a little confusing making it difficult to learn and use.

Inga N.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

A truly great analytics and reporting software

Reviewed on 2021/03/26

Microsoft Power BI solves several problems that analysts might face. It helps build an empirical model with the aid of built-in features like regressions, statistical analysis and etc. Power BI not only makes analysts perform much more effectively but encourages study recipients' interpretation of reports.

Pros

Power BI is a valuable tool for any researcher or reporting user. In my case, I usually use it to build virtual dashboards for mid-tier management. They seem to enjoy tinkering with my reports because they are super easy to interpret (thanks to sophisticated graphs/charts) and improvements are completed with few clicks.

Cons

The negative thing about Power BI is that you need a lot of effort to edit the data that you have imported as a table. For instance, editions can be easily done in Excel but Power BI requires a lot more sophisticated work to do casual stuff on results. That is why I often do my modeling and editing in Excel and then import ('feed') data to Power BI.

• Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Complex at first and then it gets easier and easier

Reviewed on 2019/08/10

This is a great tool when managing different and several performance indicators because it gives you a clear picture of where you and your team is standing.

Pros

I love that I can get a complete visual of different performance indications at once. This allows me to mentally rank the people I am working with. It also gives me clarity of where I need to focus and where my efforts should be going to.

Cons

At first, it was hard to understand how it works being used to other types of files it made it harder. Once you realize all the gains out of having condensed information you love this tool.

Best BI Tools for Microsoft Stack

Reviewed on 2020/05/05

Pros

It was a no brainer to use PowerBI after trying Tableau and Qlik Sense. It was almost as easy to use as Excel, fit right into our Microsoft stack, and we already have licenses with our Office 365 org.

Cons

Since PowerBI is the new tool around, they are releases features so quickly that it's hard to keep up and understand if the documentation you are looking for is still relevant.

Selina Z.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Good data reporting tool for a small group

Reviewed on 2020/06/30

my overall experience is good with Power BI and I would highly recommend it to a small business or a group of people. Or if you company has more than 1000, it could also be a good competitor compared to Tableau.

Pros

very powerful, easy to use and deployment. It works best with other Microsoft product, such as Teams.

Cons

It becomes costly when you want to share a report or a dashboard to a wide range of users. Because it requires the viewer to have a Pro license, it could be as expensive as Tableau.

• Industry: Computer Networking

Using Power BI for Data Visualisation

Reviewed on 2019/03/20

We use Power BI to receive and visualize the wide array of data sources and provide us with a very detailed overview on monthly status. It is user-friendly and easy to pick up. Through Power BI, we were able to attain increased productivity and efficiency on some of our processes.

Pros

It is able to take in multiple data sources and churn out reports in a visually pleasant form for ease of viewing. It greatly improves efficiency when we do not have to resort to using Excel to generate the exact data model we want. The ability to utilize SQL Server Analysis Services for our needs is very welcomed. I especially like the user-friendly interface that Power BI provides.

Cons

There are some segments and features of Power BI that requires a good amount of time to figure out. To utilize Power Bi effectively, the data has to be cleaned beforehand as Power Bi does not provide such tools.

Dan S.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Great BI Tool for the Value

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

Using Microsoft Power BI has allowed us to customize our reports in a way that was not possible or easy within the systems we had and allows us to much more easily track our progress towards goals and YOY.

Pros

We were looking at two main options and were able to purchase licences for our entire office for the cost of one license with another BI tool. Having knowledge of Excel, it made it much easier to adopt and when I ran into trouble there was great help in the Power BI online community.

Cons

The only thing I wish was easier was to set your fiscal calendar/start date for the year rather than having to create your own custom date table.

Javvad H.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Business Analysis using Power BI in Telecom

Reviewed on 2020/03/03

Overall the experience is great, the Power BI is user-friendly and one can start developing reports very quickly.

Pros

Very strong power pivot functionality that delivers and same time.
GUI is user-friendly.
Strong data source editing and data wrangling features.
Wide variety of data sources connection support like CSV, execl, sql, web, JSON etc.
DAX measures creation gives a high level of flexibility in going data analysis, without need for changing the backend DB.
Very impressive visual dashboards can be created using Power BI.

Cons

There should be an export function to convert the Power BI report into PowerPoint, currently on PDF option is available.
The functionality of local hosting instead of Microsoft cloud should be provided, so the locally hosted server could be accessed on local clients and also on the cell app.

Best Software for Data Visualization and Analytics

Reviewed on 2020/02/23

It's a great software for analytics. I love the visualization features because it turn boring data into fun charts or graphs

Pros

Since the first time I used Power BI, I fell in love with it. It has a lot of features and is very interactive and easy to use. It's really friendly to people of any skill, even people with no background in analytics can easily get started with Power BI. The visualization features are the best and turn boring Excel spreadsheets into fun charts or tables.

Cons

The interface can be a bit sloppy. It's not possible to share your dashboard with someone who doesn't have the paid version of the software. It's changing constantly so if you stopped using it for a while, it could have changed a lot when you use it again

Michele B.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Really good filterable dashboards for various uses

Reviewed on 2020/04/18

I really like the end results and the flexibility and capability of preparing different various dashboards with anything our end users need. Sometimes the setup of a dashboard takes a bit long, but it's not enough of an issue for what you get in the end.
We are overall very satisfied with the product and what it allows us.

Pros

You can pretty much pull any data you need and work it out in comprehensible dashboards that users can tweak and filter on their own

Cons

it's not very easy to setup and prepare dashboards sometimes, but it is understandable due to the kind of work it does. It just makes things a bit annoying to get ready sometimes.

Thea E.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Enjoying the visuals and the intelligent reports that PowerBI makes!

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

Pros

I love that they have a free version for developers, and it is very cheap for non-profits. It has a lot of flexibility when it comes to connecting with several interfaces. It has a lot of the recipe features that Google Data Studio has. If you are already a user of several Office 365 products, you'll enjoy this a lot, because you don't need to create a lot of mappings. I like the interfaces that it has with Mail Chimp and Google analytics (and several others), as it comes with recommended reports which you could take live from the sources. It didn't take me a while to get used to using PowerBI. If you have some Business Intelligence knowledge, this will be a piece of cake for you.

Cons

If you use a for-profit pricing, you might not like the pricing that they have for PowerBI. It's still relatively cheaper compared to other tools, but you might reconsider other products just because of the pricing.

Aaron G.

Power BI is an amazing tool for business analtyics

Reviewed on 2019/08/06

Pros

Power BI allowed my company to create some extremely useful reports and dashboards for our own internal use as well as to assist our customers in improving their own businesses. The Power Bu Software has an massive selection of tools, visual displays, maps, and more for providing valuable insight into a company's operations. Additionally the Power BI team has provided my company with very useful information and use cases through their regular webinars and conferences.

Cons

Though I was not involved in my company's purchase of this software, I have heard that it is somewhat expensive... I suppose that is relative to the size of a company and how the software is used / the potential ROI etc. In terms of functionality and intuitiveness, I have no complaints with the software.

Easy to use !

Reviewed on 2019/09/10

We help our customers monitor the activity of their companies and make the decision process easy for them

Pros

-Power BI is intuitive you can achieve a lot without having an extensive technical knowledge !
- One can analyse data using M or Dax languages
- Possibility to use Python and R

Cons

- you need an extensive knowledge of Node JS to develop new graphics

• Industry: Performing Arts

Constantly Improving

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

Power BI has transformed how our company looks at data and reporting. It just keeps getting better and better.

Pros

While already a robust and competitive analytics software, Power BI is constantly coming out with new and improved features and functionality. The integrations with Excel is impressive and makes my life so much easier.

Cons

There still isn't a good integration with Microsoft's other Office programs other than Excel. Integration with Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook simply doesn't exist yet, and it should.

Filip N.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great analytical software for data visualisation and reporting

Reviewed on 2020/07/07

I'm very satisfied with the Power BI, numerous visualisations and data reporting charts are leading all my reports and are always extremely useful.

Pros

Level of details you're able to get to is amazing inside Power BI. Also customisation of the dashboards and the various ways of presenting the data is something this app is leading the way for all others in the data business.

Cons

Sometimes it gets to difficult to connect, shape and manipulate the data to get the right views, but I guess it's the part of the business.

Michael S.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Good Analytics

Reviewed on 2019/05/03

Powerful analytics tool that is also easy for end users to utilize the reporting.

Pros

PowerBI allows the freedom to pull data in from multiple sources in the same dashboard. Editing tool allows for manipulation of data after it has been loaded which gives you great flexibility in your reporting.

Cons

Sometimes difficult working with dates and timestamps. While the software is intuitive, it sometimes makes assumptions with the data it shouldn't.

• Industry: Accounting

Analytics Dashboard

Reviewed on 2020/02/23

It allows us to analyze our key metrics in a clean and efficient format

Pros

This is a great product. My department uses the Power BI tool to analyze our key metrics, it is better than taking screen shots of Excel, the software is great at display Information and loads faster

Cons

Personally, I have some trouble with the SQL. I get a tad bit confused on some of the tables to use but that is more personal human error

Rick E.

Business Interlligence on Steriods....

Reviewed on 2019/03/19

We needed to implement a shared visualtion of a clients new cases open, closed and the revenue attributed to these.
With this data we were able to overlay this with our marketing activities, to provide a true ROI on media spend to bookings.

Pros

I especially liked the customisation of the interface, we were able to create easy to use dashboards within minutes that we could share with the client

Cons

Not very exportable friendly, had to take screen shots as the pdf versions looks poor.

Cheryl H.
  • Industry: Government Relations
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Multi-facetted reporting tool

Reviewed on 2021/02/24

With regards to functionality, plenty of options. Made a comparison with the ESRI dashboard, but it only gives data that is shared via ArcGis online. However if the x and y axis is provided by the database, it's possible to present a location on a map.

Pros

Entry to external and internal data via database or in case of SaaS via webservices. It's all possible with Power BI. Also the possibility to set up a report server with the premium option.

Cons

Integration with an Oracle client is quite complicated. The user interface per version differs quite a bit, this takes some getting used to.

Daniel Q.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Powerful analytics tool

Reviewed on 2020/08/21

Amazing software with incredible analytics resources. It is great for dashboards!

Pros

Can provide incredible database results. Has a lot of interactive chart options, which you can visualize specific data on it. It is able to perform different types of data demonstration.

Cons

The license is typically pretty expensive, so not everyone on my team has the possibility to have one of it.

Femi A.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Number Crunching at it's best

Reviewed on 2017/06/09

Pros

The ease of use of the software is particularly appealing as it is built on the usual Microsoft office interface. I particularly also like the fact the software is available in Desktop and online versions and there is synchronicity between the desktop and cloud versions. Conclusively, diversity of data sources allows for versatility.

Cons

People without private emails cannot publish and this frankly doesn't allow for easy training of other persons
Downloaded visualizations files cannot be imported in multiples and this reduces efficiency a little bit.

Emily G.
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Step up from Excel

Reviewed on 2019/09/06

Pros

This software is so much better than Excel. My favorite feature with Power BI is using the different graphing types. We have a lot of data to sort through, so the graphing options catch the eye and are easy to filter. My favorite graph is probably the graph with all the different sized circles, depending on how much data is in each one. I also really like how similar it is to Excel but much easier to use and navigate.

Cons

I don't like how picky Power BI is when it comes to data. The data has to be completely raw, there can't be any headers or spaces. This is frustrating because it takes even more time to take out the unnecessary things so Power BI can sort through it. Which in turns is difficult for me to know which each data section is without any headers or titles.

• Industry: Computer Hardware
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Power BI - Transform your data!

Reviewed on 2019/04/20

Power BI changes your business expectations and allows you to modernize your reporting and data analysis technique.

Pros

With Power BI, you are easily able to transform your data into valuable reports and analysis. You are able to dissect your data to help you answer business related questions. I like the fact that this product is easy to use and you are freely able to experiment on your own. Simply loading your data set, and you able to perform countless analysis and generate reports using the data.

Cons

Sometimes have a hard time integrating and using third party tools. For me, while learning this software took a bit of my own time. It might be difficult for first time users, however, this software offers many tutorials and you can find many step by step guides online to help you learn this new software.

Omer G.
  • Industry: Research

Power BI review

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

In general I'm very pleased with the software and it meets the needs I need - a good opportunity to say thank you!

Pros

One feature I like is that a user can be purchased for our customers who have display permissions for a specific dashboard.
In addition, the huge range of functionality that can be done in dashboards.

Cons

There are situations that are difficult for the software to work with large dimensions of data and this is affecting the system.