Microsoft Power BI Reviews

Microsoft Power BI

4.6 (1,678)
Write a Review!
BI visualization and reporting for desktop, web or mobile

(1,678)

Andrew
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

There are plenty of competitors, but Power BI is tops

Reviewed on 2019/08/25

Power BI allows me to manipulate data and present it in visually appealing and flexible formats.

Pros

I have used Tableau and Google Data Studio - among other alternatives. Nothing has seemed to compare to the functionality that Power BI offers. Everything about the program is made with the full spectrum of analysis in mind - from the designer to the data 'wrangler' to the end consumer (ie. others within the enterprise). In this way, Power BI is extremely powerful because it can be used for so many different types of projects; the data-analysis intensive to the more visual 'data-presentation' dashboards.

Cons

Sharing dashboards and reports in Power BI is easy and it has a lot of options for doing so. However, the requirement that all users must have a Pro Account to view dashboards created in Pro is a bit of a hindrance in a global organization where it does not make economical sense for every employee to have a Pro account. It seems like it would be a great addition to allow limited sharing to everyone - even those without a Pro account, as most of my internal team does not have an account.

Galaad
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Ease of use and great on-boarding experience

Reviewed on 2024/01/08

I am a supply chain analyst. I use the product daily for reporting and ad-hoc analysis. I often confronted to massive data base and multiple data source. PBI empowers me to build complex data model and produce sharps dashboard for others user in my organisation.

Pros

I really like the profusion of learning media for PBI (webinar, forum, microsoft learning experience and LinkedIn Learning). You can learn at your pace. Quickstarting is easy. Becoming proficient require a bit more patience but is relatively easy for people using other microsoft tools (Excel).

I like that the product is deployed in many company. The competencies are transferable.

I like the well defined working environnement (Query -> BI -> Viz) and the provided editor that are really enabling for people like me that are not developper by trade.

Automation of import, analysis and viz is also a real game changer for people that were dependant on Excel before.

Cons

I dislike the lack of userfriendly info for more complex developpement.
I feel not guided enough regarding more technical information regarding the product.

Nicolas
  • Industry: Government Administration

Probably the worst dataviz software out there

Reviewed on 2024/03/18

Go Tableau, only one which deserves my attention

Go Tableau, only one which deserves my attention

Pros

None, it's really everyday just another bad stuff happening

Cons

It's slow, buggy, you can't do what you want to do, counter intuitive, no community

Mark
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Power BI - Linked to Simpro

Reviewed on 2024/03/22

In general it has been good, there is plenty of documentation available online from creating visuals to advance functions using measures.

Pros

The flexibility to create dashboards and reports with a range of visuals.

Cons

The license model is slightly confusing and difficult to make reports for external customers to view.

Katie

Our trusty BI tool for all-things data

Reviewed on 2023/11/26

I've been a huge fan of Power BI since we switched to it from Excel. We use it to create dashboards, set up automated reports, and anything else that requires reporting. In the years that I've used it, I've very rarely ran into bugs or performance issues. It's relatively easy to set up, has very advanced reporting capabilities, and tons of integrations you can set up pretty easily to pull data from different places. You can't fault it for BI.

Pros

We used to use Excel but switched over to Power BI for the more advanced features. And they've been very very handy for us. The data cleaning works a lot better, there's tons more cutomization options, and some integrations have been made much easier compared to just Excel.

Cons

The imterface isn't the best to be honest, especially compared to stuff like Tableu. But gets the job done nonetheless.

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Power BI

Excel worked pretty well for us as well, but we decided to move to Power BI for the advanced charting options.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

We were already pretty used to MS tools, and Power BI looked like it would be easier for us to move to, so we decided on it.
Md. Tanvir Bin
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Powerful analytics with an intuitive user interface (UI) and outstanding data visualization...

Reviewed on 2023/11/13

In one convenient spot, Power BI gives me excellent access to all the data sources and data sets I generate when creating the reports. I have various devices at my disposal to access the data at any time, anyplace. By using easy clicks, users may highlight features, apply filters, and interact with the dashboards.

Pros

Power BI enables users to work together and share dashboards and data with other people. Reports and dashboards can be shared by email, social media, and web publishing, among other methods available to users.
To ensure that sensitive data is protected, Power BI contains robust security features. In addition to controlling access to data, reports, and dashboards, users can create rules for preventing data loss.

Cons

Data that Power BI can ingest is limited in size. The free version must be extended to the paid version if I want to import data bigger than 2GB. It can also crash while processing huge datasets with complicated measurements, which makes using Power BI stressful at times.

Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Power BI

For us to use primarily, Tableau is typically more costly.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

I may download the free edition of Power BI Desktop and begin creating reports on our computer right away.
Stephen
  • Industry: Music

I do not know of another tool that does this job so well

Reviewed on 2023/10/27

I use it daily for my for tracking everything that can be measured in a delivery process, weekly for planning and monthly for business reporting. It is my everything data tool. I have been involved in exploring other options but it feels like Power BI stands alone in this field.

Pros

For a tool to be this powerful and complete at this price level really does make it almost impossible to beat. If you have any experience with the Microsoft Power Query platform such as in Excel then Power BI is a natural next step for upping your BI and reporting game. The integration with the Microsoft Office system is seamless and it makes querying external data sources a doddle.

Cons

It can feel a bit clunky and slow if you do not have a high powered client - but the deployed dashboards take this issue away from everything except development. The only other issue I have encountered is in deploying this to a non-Microsoft environment but the tools are available to make it work, it just adds an overhead that you need to be aware of when evaluating the tool. Even with this overhead we have found Power BI to still be preferable to other options native to our non-Microsoft infrastructure and that is really impressive!

Trevor.io, Tableau, Amazon QuickSight and Google Data Studio

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

It is the only option that gives us the complete package and it is astonishingly cheap in comparison to many other options that come closer.
John
  • Industry: Fishery

Our one solution for all-things data

Reviewed on 2024/01/02

MS Power BI has been a wonderful asset for our data side. We use it for all kinds of things from putting together a basic report for a presentation to designing dashboards with a dozen KPIs all being synced in realtime. It's hugely powerful and maintains good performance even with large data sets. 10/10 would recommend.

Pros

We used to be on Excel which was pretty good by itself, but Power BI takes it to a whole another level. It has tons of advanced features like better data connectors, embedded reports, better dashboards and worklows, the ability to handle bigger data, and more.

Cons

It would be good to have more dashboard and report templates to work off of, and we've had issues with cloud syncing in the past that caused us a lot of headache.

Joe
  • Industry: Warehousing

Get Awesome Looking Dashboards and reports.

Reviewed on 2023/11/23

Overall its a great tool to use in your arsenal if you great at analytics and want to impress with dashboards and visuals. Takes some time to getting used to, but there's tons of community support online.

Pros

After using many other reporting tools, Power BI stands because it does a fantastic job of having powerful analytics from multiple data sources displayed using beautiful data visualization components.

Cons

Great for more simple reports and data visualization but not designed for heavy data processing (dependent on data source). Also huge learning curve to make things look the way you want them to look.

SAP Crystal Reports

SAP Crystal Reports

I still use both, but I use Power BI mostly for dashboards and visuals
Louis
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

great for data

Reviewed on 2024/05/14

Pros

Easy to download more data visualisation graphics

Cons

can be quite tricky to use, especially for a beginner

Deepak

The visualization and analytics product that is constantly evolving - for the better

Reviewed on 2020/02/07

With Power BI we identify patterns, issues and opportunities in sales, marketing, operations, supply chain, people management and finance data. The ways to look at the data and the drilling capabilities make this a wonderful tool

Pros

1. Improves with new releases every two weeks
2. Powerful insight management
3. Integration with MS products
4. Online forums and learning zones

Cons

1. Not as intuitive as packaged applications, but getting there
2. Not a good IDE for Python / R
3. Connectors to social media need to be improved

Domo and Tableau

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Power BI

Power BI is evolving faster and with better options and integration

Spotfire

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

Deeper integration with Microsoft tools online and offline.
Virgil

Moderate cost for a moderate experience for medium sized enterprises

Reviewed on 2021/02/12

So so. The dashboards and reports are limited in visual design, so they all look the same and quite ugly. Because of the difficulty sharing reports/dashboards to external individuals and the lack of a Google sheets connector I couldn't use PowerBI for most of the solutions we need, but will use it for some since it integrates well with the rest of the MS office ecosystem.

Pros

The thing that most sets PowerBI apart from comparable business intelligence solutions is the lower cost of multi-user deployment within an organization. PowerBI is part of a Microsoft Office 365 subscription package for businesses and you only need to pay an additional 15USD/month for each additional admin/analyst account you add. This is a stark contrast to similar solutions like Tableau, which charge a monthly fee for each user and has a minimum user count that equates to roughly a 15,000USD/year license cost as minimum. If your organisation is already invested in the Microsoft Office ecosystem this could be the ideal solution for you if you need to keep costs down.

Cons

It can't connect to google sheets and every other business intelligence platform can. This can be really limiting if your business uses a variety of SaaS solutions since many offer the simplest data integration options via Google sheets.

PowerBI also has real issues with external sharing of dashboards/reports. You only have the option of publishing internally (visible to your organization's users) or publishing publically (indexed in search engines). There is no option of sharing dashboards and reports to individuals outside your organization via a login, like what is done with Google Data Studio.

PowerBI also has a steep learning curve and uses 3 coding languages (DAX, M, and SQL). It's more complicated than it needs to be but it's relational database modeling has proven a good one and competitors have copied PowerBI's approach in recent years (Tableau).

Tableau and Google Data Studio

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

For the unique cases where I will use it, I'm chosing it because it is part of the MS office ecosystem which my organization uses and it will be easier to deploy and share products with colleagues who all build in PowerBI also. I won't use PowerBI exclusively though since it can't do everything I need.
Nikhil
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Power BI - A platform above the rest

Reviewed on 2022/12/05

Pros

Power BI is a valuable tool for data modeling in addition to being a visualization tool. Here, two or more tables must be joined while taking into account their cardinality. Power Bi gives us the ability to link a variety of sources, including live data warehouses and massive data lakes, to import our data. It also provides us with the option to export the dashboards through PowerPoint. Ad hoc reporting within the user hierarchy is essential to a business analyst's role in order to deliver findings to C-suite executives and decision-makers. The platform speeds up execution compared to other visualization tools because of how simple it is to use. The way everything is set out in Power BI makes it easy for the users to understand which data type fits which visualization and how it will affect the way it is perceived. The formatting available is also simple to understand and locate. KPI monitoring is extremely important and directly proportional to the setup in Power BI. Compared to Tableau I feel Power BI has a big edge.

Cons

I have switched to this product from another one and prefer this. I believe this is the best visualization tool in the market right now.

Warren
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Power BI For Business

Reviewed on 2022/12/05

PowerBI was easy to start to use, and you can expand with it as you go. It really can be as Indepth as the time you're willing to put in.

Pros

The ease of use and wide range of data sources is fantastic, and allows for complete customisation.

Cons

Unless you're willing to pay the premium license, unfortunately you are restricted to a maximum of data refreshing every hour.

BrightGauge

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Power BI

We found PowerBI to offer more attractive features.

BrightGauge

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

The fact that PowerBI licensing was included with our Office 365 package was the main reason.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Overall the best Dashboard software at this moment

Reviewed on 2020/02/03

Part of our dashboards were developped using Power BI. Although the UI is not as perfect as Tableau, Basically it can achieve all Tableau can do, (maybe not as quick or few steps as Tableau).the modelling, the strong ETL support, the Power Query and integration with office can offset the drawbacks.

Pros

1. The wide and deep design and full support for upstream and downstream systems;

2. Excellent query engine with well design data modelling principals (which is better than Tableau);

3. Seamless integration with other Microsoft data integration products such as SSIS, SSRS, SSAS;

4. Excellent knowledgebase community and support;

5. Quick update to the Azure cloud support

Cons

1. UI design is a little bit inconvenient comparing to Tableau.
2. DAX is a bit complicated for power users.

Qlik Sense, Tableau and IBM Cognos Analytics

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

Overall strength on UI, Modelling, integration, etl support and good price. Integration with SQL Server, SSIS/SSRS, Azure and office.
  • Industry: Design

New to Power BI but love it

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

Overall I love the software and would highly recommend it. Not only does it help visualize data but also helps to keep it updated in real time with the ability to connect to a server. The automation of pulling the data on a schedule and importing it directly into the visualizations solved a huge problem for our company.

Pros

I love how easy it is to make really powerful visualizations. The ease of use in order to basic visualizations is similar to Pivot tables in Excel. If you have a basic understanding of Pivot tables you will be able to open the software and get straight to visualizing. Once you take a deeper dive into the queries and data transformations you will uncover an entirely new world of analysis.

Cons

The software is easy to use for basic functions but when you get into more detail it can be difficult. It is also really hard to share your work with someone that does not pay for the service. Without paying for a Power Bi Pro account it is basically impossible to share the visualizations that you have created. Also, the Arc GIS feature only works within the software. If you try to post a map visualization to a website through an embed it doesn't work.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

We chose Power Bi because we had an enterprise with Microsoft already.
Katerina

Intuitive and very customizable. An all-round fantastic visualisation solution

Reviewed on 2023/11/02

Excel and Power BI have been in my software toolkit almost since day one. I think the best thing about it is that it opens the door for in-depth data analysis without using code or SQL, which means that SMBs like ours can drive insights from data as well. Other than that, there are a lot of chart types available, and you can easily add custom elements. All in all, would definitely recommend.

Pros

I think it's great that the interface takes most of its elements from Excel. As a person who has used Excel for pretty much the whole of the last two decades, it was much much easier to pick Power BI up for me in the beginning because I was used to most of the visual elements anyway.

Cons

Not a huge issue but it would make my work so much easier to have the live support option as they offer in some of the other BI tools.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

I was already used to the MS environment so I was a lot mor einclined towards Power BI rather than Tableau.

Outstanding Report Tool

Reviewed on 2021/06/09

Having switched from excel recently, Microsoft Power BI has been of great help. Having good visuals for data is a plus to us as an organization for they help do comparisons at a glance.

Pros

The ability to do data linking from different data sources and doing relations and end up developing organized and analyzed data for easy decision making.

It provides the ability to break down data to a level that is easy to understand.

The creation of dashboard in Power BI makes the reports appealing and data presented friendly to interact with.

Cons

Loading Microsoft power BI takes quite some time especially the desktop version. I don't the reason behind it but it could be better if it is looked into and a solution found will be of great help.

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Power BI

Microsoft Power BI makes work easier for it has features that Microsoft Excel does not have.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

Microsoft Power BI has added features that our organization required.
Merve

Enhancing University IT Systems with Microsoft Power BI

Reviewed on 2023/08/17

Microsoft Power BI is widely regarded as a powerful and versatile tool for data visualization and business intelligence. Its capabilities in transforming complex datasets into interactive visualizations and reports are highly appreciated by professionals across various industries.

Pros

Power BI allows for easy sharing of reports and dashboards with colleagues and stakeholders. This promotes collaboration, as everyone can access and interact with the same data. The interactive features of Power BI dashboards enable users to drill down into data, apply filters, and explore different aspects of the dataset. This interactivity enhances data exploration and analysis.

Cons

Data Refresh Limitations, Limited Offline Access, Advanced Analytics Requires Expertise. Power BI heavily relies on online connectivity for data retrieval and sharing. Offline access to reports and dashboards is somewhat limited, which can be a concern in certain scenarios.

Caroline
  • Industry: Accounting

Microsoft Power BI is an descent alternative tool for Data Analysis by Microsoft

Reviewed on 2023/07/19

Overall, Power BI is a great tool for data analysis and visualization helping provide you with the necessary insights for faster and informed decision making.

Pros

The awesome attribute about Microsoft Power BI is it allows you to import data from various sources including Microsoft Excel, SQL server, Oracle Database, IBM database, etc. This shows the level of compatibility that was built on to the application to ensure it can be used diversely. In addition to this, you can also do a data merge of data from the various sources that are supported. Power BI has a variety of data visualization tools column charts, funnels, pi charts, donut charts, KPI visuals etc. Any possible data visualization you can think is included in Power BI. The interface is also quite user friendly with a few drag and drop functionality enabled.Another awesome feature about power BI is the fact that it can also be accessed via Android and IOS. You can access your data and make decisions from anywhere.You can also use natural language query to 'Ask Questions' to your data in Power BI. It can understand natural language.As expected, Power BI works well within he Microsoft Ecosystem, so if you company is already intensively on Microsoft Products, this is a seamless transition.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve involved to be able to use Power BI effectively. Your organization needs to employ the services of someone who understands how to use the tool properly.

Dan
  • Industry: Human Resources

The best gets better

Reviewed on 2020/10/06

It's easily the most feature rich overall. Other products like Tableau and Qlik have their advantages, but I'm hard pressed to find much fault with Power BI, other than the premium licenses being ridiculously expensive. The word is Microsoft is addressing that issue later in 2020/2021.

Pros

The features and ease of creating visualizations are top notch. Also integration with all other Microsoft products as well as pre-built connectors to many of the most popular software is hard to beat.

Cons

There are many features not available unless you pay for expensive premium capacity.

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft Power BI

We needed more advanced analytic solution.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

Features, pricing, community support.
Thomas
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Great, Simple Vizualization Tool!

Reviewed on 2020/12/22

Overall I have had an excellent experience with power bi as someone coming from a Network engineering role into data science and visualization. Power bi does a great job with ease of learning the product.

Pros

Free desktop tool for modeling is great to try out for anyone. Excellent customer support. Using the power bi web dashboard is a great way to gain the visibility that you need to make this Business intelligence valuable. Being able to send reports on a schedule makes it a great tool for displaying and sharing data. The level of features and third party visualization also makes this a versatility tool that any data driven groups could benefit from. Publishing from the desktop to the web version is extremely simple.

Cons

When creating measures and columns there can be some slowness or odd reactions while using the measures/columns as filters. Not able to choose a theme for the background colors.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Power BI

Price Point and ease of access.
Akshika
Akshika

User-friendly and with a relatively quick dataset load time, data-driven business insights

Reviewed on 2022/12/18

Pros

The greatest business intelligence and data analytics software is Microsoft Power Bi Desktop, which guarantees that accurate data-driven insights are retrieved for corporate decision-making and smooth implementation. We can analyze, analyze, and even build dashboards using data in a variety of formats that have greater processing capability for rows and columns than Excel. Additionally, the visuals are considerably more exquisite and diversified. When I get stuck with DAX code, Power BI community articles and the DAX language's simplicity come in handy. Power BI is far more user-friendly and intuitive, in my opinion. I would strongly advise any organization seeking a BI solution to use this.

Cons

Power BI's inability to produce bespoke infographics as quickly as Tableau is its main drawback. Direct connections may be made between Power BI Desktop and PostgreSQL DB. However, we are unable to directly link PostgreSQL DB with the Power BI service. Additionally, the cost of the program has to be drastically reduced so that more small and underutilized enterprises may benefit from it and use its features to their best potential.

Power BI Helps You Tell the Story of Your Data

Reviewed on 2021/10/07

I love Power BI. The time and energy I've invested in learning it have been well worth it.

Pros

Once you get your data in, within just a few moments of looking around or following a tutorial, you can see how easy it is to shape, slice, and show your data in a huge variety of ways. It takes seconds to just try out a visualization and see if it works for you. It takes just a few seconds more to slot in all the data fields you want in that visualization. Don't like something? Drag it back out or click an X, no big deal! Your confidence will grow the more you spend time in the platform, and soon you'll be arranging informative, visually-pleasing dashboards that tell the story of your data.

Cons

I would prefer that individuals not directly involved in Power BI didn't have to have a Pro license just to view/do what I'd consider to be still Basic tier things. And at first, figuring out where/how to get the data into Power BI can be a learning curve. Lastly, it's not a true upload of data into Power BI as if I move, rename, or delete the source file that is still on my computer, Power BI Desktop can't pull up the report that I'd previously created from it.

Susan
  • Industry: Dairy

An analytical tool for business analysis and understanding.

Reviewed on 2023/10/26

Getting to know how pur business is performing has been a great achievement and we give all the credit to Microsoft Power Bi. It has been super productive to us. With Microsoft Power BI, we have been able to analyze our business operations and relate the insights we get with our initial goals and this gives us a clear working point to help us focus on improving our performance.

Pros

Microsoft Power BI has very powerful analytical tools which makes it possible to run full analysis on our business in order to understand our performance and the position we are at comparing it to where we want to be. The reports are easy to read and interpret and has very accurate insights about our business. It makes it so easy for us to pull business data from all over our working infrastructures in order to have a full review of the entire business operations.

Cons

Personally, i didn't find it much easier to use but am glad i was able to get assistance from the available self support articles.