Valant EHR Suite

4,0 (195)
A cloud based behavioral health platform

Cindy B.

Superior software for private practice

Reviewed on 2016/04/21

We have been using Valant in our private practice for about 16 months now and love it! It is easy to use, very intuitive, and the IT support is FANTASTIC!! Initial set up was smooth with a great deal of support. Also easy up upload your own support documents. I highly recommend it!

Intuitive
IT Support
Set up to comply with insurance

Cons

Does not have a To Do or Reminder list to use in calendar--would love to have that
When setting up NEW client, for example child of a parent already in the system, would like to be able to view parent demographics at same time to transfer information.

Carly B.

Expensive for solo practices

Reviewed on 2020/07/30

Customer service was slow to respond and/or didn't respond at all. It takes some getting used to. Valant was a functional ERA but it was too "much" for me being a solo provider which resulted in it being too expensive.

Pros

Billing was easy. It auto-posts ERA. They offer the ability to customize note templates. Valant offers reminders either through text or email.

Cons

For a solo practice it was expensive and offered a lot of features a solo provider doesn't need. The treatment plan tool wasn't as smooth as I thought it would be. It took a lot of time to setup and complete the training before using. The cost of Valant is separate from the cost of using a clearing house.

SimplePractice

Reasons for Choosing Valant EHR Suite

I wanted to be able to customize notes.

TherapyNotes

Reasons for Switching to Valant EHR Suite

Had more features I thought I would use but in the end, Valant was too complex for my solo practice.

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Thank you for your feedback, Carly. We appreciated having you as a customer and genuinely hope you are able to find a solution that better fits your needs.

Susan D.

Worthless piece of crap

Reviewed on 2022/01/06

Today I cannot access ANY thing on Valant - the patients phone numbers to call them, the names of the patients I will be losing an entire day of income and good will thanks to them, I would use ANYTHING but Valantl Run the other way!

Pros

None. It breaks down ALL the time, the wait times on customer support are hours.

Cons

I would not wish this on my worst enemy. The quality is terrible, it breaks down at least once a month, it's impossible to order labs or get results without also having to print it out and send it to the patient. It doesn't just go into quests system. Dr. First is abominable and cumbersome. It is almost impossible and takes about 5 steps to see all the meds that you wrote at the last visit. You have to constantly represcribe each med individually as it won't let you prescribe old meds in groups when they have decided they have expired - though you said you would

Shannon S.

Great Move to a new EHR

Reviewed on 2021/10/14

The reports are incredible. It also allows my staff to complete comprehensive notes in minutes rather than hours.

Pros

The customer service is incredible. The program is intuitive and able to handle multiple functions. With the onboarding staff you can customize the options to fit your practice needs.

Cons

Large learning curve but completely worth it.

TheraNest

Med Management requirement

CounSol.com

Reasons for Switching to Valant EHR Suite

The customer service and the ability to customize.

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, Shannon. We enjoy working with you and your practice!

Haylie B.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Truly Can't Function Without Valant

Reviewed on 2021/04/08

When I switched from one company with Valant to my current office who wasn't using Valant, I felt lost because I was now working with a system that was working against us. It didn't take long before I knew what this practice needed and it was Valant. If we ever had IT issues, Valant was one call and maybe 2 rings away.

Pros

The ease of this software allows everyone to feel like masters of their EHR system. Being able to know exactly where to find the information you are looking for within a chart and being able to trust that the system works with you to ensure accuracy has given all of our staff an increase in confidence and allows us to spend more time with our clients.

Cons

I truly wish there was something I didn't like about Valant so this could be an unbiased review, but after working with many other systems.. they can't compare to the system and support you get with Valant.

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Thanks for the kind words, Haylie! We are thrilled we get to continue working with you at your new practice!

Jessica P.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Valant: Great industry knowledge and implementation of specific needs

Reviewed on 2021/10/13

Valant collaborated on a weekly bases to ensure that the program had what we needed. They were able to train a group of us and were quick to respond when questions arose. Writing notes is extremely easy and overall the system is very user friendly.

Pros

Due to MDUSD being a school based organization who contracts with another organization, our needs are unlike many others. Valant was able to adjust the program to meet our specific needs. They continue to check in to offer adjustments as needed. The software is easy to use, and customer support is easily accessible when questions arise.

Cons

We would like to see an easier way to do group notes. Valant says this is coming soon.

Reasons for Switching to Valant EHR Suite

Valant was able to adjust the program to meet our unique needs. They met with us weekly to ensure it was built correctly. The software itself is very user friendly compared to others.

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Jessica, thank you for providing this feedback. It's a pleasure to work with you and your team!

Alisha C.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Valant.io and the phenomenal customer service.

Reviewed on 2021/05/10

I do apologize for adding this under the heading of EHR Suite. I couldn't find the location for reviewing Valant.io (probably user error! HA!) Anyhow, as I said before, the initial changeover was difficult. I feel that your team has made some very necessary adjustments and those that have not yet changed over will have less trouble than I had. I feel with the customer service that I have received thus far, I have no doubt that your team will be able to make more necessary adjustments in the future that will further help the ease of use.

Pros

I was weary of the new valant.io system. Initially, it was difficult to use. Once the team made some much needed updates and I was able to learn the new interface, I actually prefer valant.io to the other system. I like that each click now has its own tab. I LOVE that you can actually type in a patient name in reports and it actually takes you to the letter in the alphabet rather than having to scroll through the entire list of patients. I like the record appointment feature. The billing tab is SO HELPFUL! Your customer service team is one of the best in the business. They know their stuff and if they don't know, they find someone who does. I am EXTREMELY IMPRESSED with customer service at valant.

I am very excited about the prospect of using the patient portal. I was unaware that this came as a part of my current subscription. I think more practices would use it if they knew they didn't have to pay extra per month and that the costs for previous patients is minimal.

Cons

I was weary of the new valant.io system. Initially, it was difficult to use. Once the team made some much needed updates and I was able to learn the new interface, I actually prefer valant.io to the other system. The patient statement section needs a lot of work. I need to be able to print simple statements for the patients. I can understand your statements but they are not patient friendly. My patients don't need to see reason codes and charge backs, etc. They need...you were charged, insurance paid this, you owe this due to copay, coinsurance, etc.

Also, we all work under one facility. If I only have one facility, I should not need to use the drop down box to put the facility in each time I am adding in a patient.

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Hi Alisha,
Thank you for the thoughtful review and detailed feedback. Our customer service team is passionate about helping practices like yours and is so appreciative of this positive feedback. We love hearing about what's working well, as well as what we can continue to improve, and your product suggestions have been passed along to our development team. Thank you so much!

Donna C.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Good, but with a few stupid annoying issues

Reviewed on 2017/10/19

Tech support people are nice, but when there is a system-wide issue, they do not answer the phones. They have been unable to solve the repeated crashing of Silverlight and the issue with not accepting diagnoses when entered in mobile notes.

Pros

I like that it is just for psychiatry and I like mobile notes. I like having integrated prescribing, billing, and credit card processing, electronic EOB's from payers. I like that there is an app for my iPad and iPhone so I can take a quick look at notes and write prescriptions.
I like the reminders that the system gives, the ease of scheduling appointments and entering payments.
With an electronic EOB, you just hit a button and all the payments and adjustments are recorded automatically.
Beware that the integrated insurance clearing house adds more to the monthly fee you pay.

Cons

I have been using this for 10 months. There are recurring problems that no one can seem to solve. When I entered nonclinical patient information in the "patients" tab and hit save, Microsoft internet explorer would crash, but not every time. I made repeated calls to tech support and their solution was to change browsers to Firefox. I have done so, but still have the same issue except the message on my computer is that the Silverlight plug-in has crashed. This happens several times per day.
In mobile notes, there is no functionality of the tab button (for indentation) when I am trying to write a note and this annoys me to no end.
The system has crashed several times in the past 10 months, never for more than a few hours, but enough to disrupt my workflow. I had to write a few paper prescriptions when the mobile notes and e-Prescribing crashed the other day.
The patient's diagnoses can be entered using mobile notes, but then, I have to open the patient chart and reenter them or else when I go to bill, it says there is no visit diagnosis. I have asked about this multiple times.
Navicure, the integrated insurance clearinghouse just raised their rates.

Katherine O.

Great Beginner EHR

Reviewed on 2021/06/11

Valant allowed out clients to receive appointment reminders which we did not have previously. Navigating the different tabs back and forth was very convenient when multitasking.

Pros

I love the ease of scheduling along with the color coding options to make the schedule visually appealing. Valant was the first EHR that our office used and it was a great starting platform to learn and adapt to.

Cons

Unfortuatly Valant's support was not the easiest to get in contact with/hear back from when there was an issue that the online help page could not answer.

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

I'm sorry to hear you had a difficult time reaching our support team. That is not the experience we want our customers to have and we are committed to doing better next time. Thank you very much for this feedback!

Andrea T.

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

Reviewed on 2018/09/07

We have had problems with getting any customer service and help with technical issues. They have told us for at least 2 years that an upgrade was coming to the system so we did not change after the first year because we were holding out, but now it has been too long and we are seeking a new provider.

Pros

Ease of use with scheduling and documenting

Cons

If you ever want to add a user, make changes, have questions for support they take weeks to respond and typically do not resolve your issue. We have had problems with the e-prescribe since day one (3 years ago) and it has yet to be resolved. We have also been told since day one that they were upgrading the system soon so that other features like payment online could be taken and we are still waiting on this.

Nelda H.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Senior Citizen Can Use it Daily and Smile!

Reviewed on 2021/03/23

Excellent. Good value for the money. Easy access to everything our mental health practice needs to assure professional documentation and accountability. When we first began, a phone call was answered by the second ring. Now, it takes an extra step or two, but call backs DO happen without a second call within the same business day. We will remain a Valant customer!

Pros

Ease of use! Every thing I need to schedule, bill, check the providers documentation, reconcile patient accounts, is all in view. A click or two and it is done. I appreciate the Knowledge Base feature for information and Contact Support feature for prompt assistance. The Report tool has become a favorite for providing clear data to the providers/owners. Training modules are required for our new hires before they see me - provides basic process information that is easy for me to extend so new hires (providers) get with it quickly. But for my primary job, billing process is done daily with just a few clicks of the mouse!

Cons

Sometimes I feel like it has too much to offer a practice. I know it can do much more for our small practice than we know how to use effectively. The PHD among us struggles with the features in Mobile Notes - mostly because he has struggled to "change" his established process for documenting. Valant has allowed templates to be added that make his work for comfortable.

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Thanks for sharing your experience, Nelda!

Paul C.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Finally an excellent EMR program!

Reviewed on 2020/12/30

I am pleased our practice is using Valant and find it has my personal practice viable. I have used the most expensive to the free versions of other software companies, both in private practice and in hospital. I find Valant the finest product I have used. Objectively, no program is perfect, any more than there is such a thing as a perfect Clinician. However, in researching other EMR programs, I feel confident in saying that Valant is the best of the best. I have been using computers in my practice since my start in Family Practice in 1986, during the days of "DOS". Valant is an example of what can be achieved with a great team of programmers and support personnel! This will be a well spent investment in your practice.

Pros

This is my ninth EMR I have had to learn and use. Out of all I have used in my 41 years of practice, this is the finest. It is well designed, well supportive and serves us well in a General Psychiatry and Psychology practice. Both the Therapists and Prescribing Clinicians have adapted well to it, and I as a Prescribing Physician Assistant find it an excellent way to follow and care for my patients. I cannot speak to the billing module, however the clinical sections are near perfect. I have even owned a self contained EMR that remained resident on my laptop prior to Internet Cloud based programs. Valant far exceeds my needs and expectations for a program for a Psychiatric program.

Cons

The so called "Patient Portal" does not integrate with the patient's chart and must be under development as it is not yet in the newest "IO platform". That appears to be the only deficit I have experienced thus far after using Valant for over four years.

Jeanne G.
  • Industry: Accounting

Exceptional Software and Exceptional Performance

Reviewed on 2019/11/07

I have recommend Valant to all of my group practices because I know it will help them to be more lucrative and minimize hours worked by staff. I am very satisfied with Valant.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the way I can fluidly maneuver through the screens with ease and that I can have multiple tabs up at the same time.

Cons

I don't necessarily have a con but it would be great to integrate Telehealth Services capabilities within the software.

Sharenote

Reasons for Choosing Valant EHR Suite

Checkpoint is too simplistic...doesn't provide reports that are necessary to effectively run a business. Sharenote is very detailed but doesn't operate efficiently...not user friendly.

Sharenote

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Hi Jeanne! Thank you for leaving a review. We are pleased to hear about the ease of use!

Cassie F.

Worth The Money But Many Avoidable Issues

Reviewed on 2019/11/06

Pros

Pretty easy to read doctor's schedules and I have the ability to group schedules to my liking. There are a lot of features that other offices can use that would make Valant first choice over other EMRs.

Cons

I would have liked more customization to make my job easier. As a practice that doesn't accept insurance, I would have liked to take off some features that are included while hovering over each patient. We don't need to worry about insurance and copays. Instead, I would have liked to see any balance amount and especially patient's D.O.B. In order to get to any of that info, you need to click twice to get to patient's info and then click another time to actually access their info. Another example is putting a patient's card on file. If they don't have an appointment the same day you have to make a "fake" appointment under their name in order to put a card on file, enter their info and then exit out and delete that appointment. Another example would be if I needed to block out a certain time, I can't just select time time and complete it. I have to go to "non patient appointment" and enter some kind of text which often would be "." (a period). Otherwise I can't make a time block. Another issue, though not last, is that cards on file are stored in a separate software which you have to log in. The problem with that is in order to look at patient's payment history (i.e. which card they used for which service) you would have to log in to NMI. Overall I feel there's a lot of unnecessary clicking that could be avoided in order to make this software easier to use. I feel if this software had more options and ability to cater to what I need, I would have liked it more.

Isaac W.

One stop shopping

Reviewed on 2019/09/19

See above.

Pros

I run a solo psychiatry practice and Valant allows me to do everything from registering and scheduling patients, to keeping records and prescribing, sending claim to insurance companies, applying payment from insurance companies and bill patients. I have always four customer support to be terrific. Some time it tae a few minute to get to the right person, but they go out of their way to answer questions. It is like any EHR--it feels difficult to use. Perhaps it is because Valant offers so many features (many I am sure I have yet to discover) it may complicate the learning process. But, with practice you get it down quickly. If you work with your initial 1:1 support, do the homework, and practice on the dummy patients, you will learn it quickly.

Cons

I wish it could interact with a kiosk where patients input information. I still have to add the demographic and insurance information and I have a scanner for insurance cards/drivers' licenses that are stored in separate software. It would even be helpful if you could scan this information directly into the patient's record.

Elizabeth L.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to use and customizable to your practice

Reviewed on 2020/01/08

Pros

The Valant software is easy to use for our administrative staff, psychologists, and psychiatrists.
As a behavioral health software, it allows our practice to run smoothly and efficiently. Valant allows our practice to set up clients, manage client medical records, bill clients and insurance companies, process insurance EOB's, customize note templates that are tailored to our practice, create reports (patient aging, insurance aging, productivity, charges, client lists, etc.), an online portal system for statements, etc. From the scheduler tool, there is an option to provide appointment reminder calls, emails, and/or texts which our clients find very helpful. The support team is also excellent. They are quick to respond, very knowledgeable, and helpful. Our practice is also able to send out outcomes monitoring to our clients on a frequent basis, which allows our clinicians to easily track client progress.

Cons

Valant currently uses Silverlight for their software, but they are working on changing this very soon so our office won't be limited to specific web browsers.

Theresa A.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

After much product testing...Valant wins!

Reviewed on 2017/08/18

I have tested may EHR's and Valant is the one I chose after about 3 years of demo's and research. Some EHR's that I have reviewed: Kareo, Practice Fusion, TheraNest, PIMSY, ICANotes, drcrono, Theramanager, and iSALUS. My office is a single provider, nonprofit. I am able to type notes in during a session and sign at the end of the session with ease. If I'm providing in home care, Apple's Siri works great for dictation and integrates seamlessly.

Pros

1. Valant offers as part of the intake note, numerous assessments that are automatically scored!
2. Customizable for how you would like to view buttons.
3. Group Notes automatically carry over from the first note in the general section, VERY helpful!
4. Prepopulated from the last note, so you do not need to go back to review.
5. Customer service is amazing. Follow up email or phone questions are quickly answered without constant need for follow up.
6. Cloud based.
7. 100% compatible with Mac, iPad, iPhone & Windows.

Cons

1. The treatment plan is clunky. I have worked around this by utilizing the prepopulated section of the PLAN tab to be where I put the treatment plan and updates each time. This work-around works beautiful for me.
2. There is no built in telehealth at this time. I am assured that this is something that is being looked into.
3. Billing is not fully integrated and requires a subscription to an outside provider.

Kenneth Z.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Well suited my my solo practice and for expanding its use to other clinicians

Reviewed on 2020/12/30

I can not say strongly enough how helpful Valant has been in integrating each of the steps involved with consumer care- from registration, insurance, clinical scheduling and documentation to billing. I could not function effectively without it and do not know of another vendor that matches Valant.

Pros

In the past, as an executive director for a larger mental health center using other software, Valant is easy to use, intuitive in functionality and adaptable. I could not operate a practice without it. When I do need assistance, Valant staff have been consistently helpful and on target with their instructions.

Cons

The software is really a strong asset and have really no complaints. I do engage in a variety of non-clinical mental health services such as consultation, training, supervision that I find the software limiting. I also would say trying to document a non-clinical contact, though possible, is not quite as easy as I would like. That said, I would never leave Valant and have found easy ways around each of these issues.

Kyle R.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

The Best Mental Health EMR - Bar None!

Reviewed on 2020/01/13

Excellent!

Pros

It allows me to focus more on patient care and not wasting too much time on documentation. I absolutely love Valant and there support team. It’s been a great 10+ years and it just keeps getting better.
Thanks

Cons

There have been a few minor issues over the years but they always fix/improve them.

Practice Fusion

Reasons for Switching to Valant EHR Suite

One of my colleagues convinced me to try practice fusion, “to save some money” and it was a disaster! Thankfully, I kept my Valant during the trial and shortly cancelled the Practice Fusion.
Nishendu V.

"we are working on it"

Reviewed on 2021/02/04

System works but if something goes wrong you are on your own. They used to have decent phone support but that has gone by the wayside.
This morning we cannot upload documents ts and there is no one to help.

Pros

I can access it from anywhere, specifically meant for psychiatric practice.

Cons

Very poor customer support.
Not able to connect to other products
The keep promising new features but things rarely work

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Hello Dr. Vasavada,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

We are proud of our ability to provide specialized support to behavioral health practices and are very sorry you have not had a good experience thus far. We recognize that we had a brief period of time where support wait times were unacceptable. We're happy to report that we have recently made some significant changes to our support process that have resulted in a much better experience for our customers. Since November 2020, we have maintained consistent wait times under two minutes and in December, 75% of our calls were answered in less than 15 seconds. We are committed to maintaining this consistency moving forward.

We hope to earn your trust again.

Deann L.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

So Thankful for Valant! #1 EMR for Behavioral Healthcare! Support is Top Notch!

Reviewed on 2019/11/08

Great

Pros

Very comprehensive, yet intuitive. EASY TO PRESCRIBE!! Amazing ability to customize clinical templates that work for my practice. Obviously understands behavioral healthcare - that why I went with Valant. The clinical templates are clearly designed for me. Efficiency is a big deal for me and Valant helps me improve efficiency every day. I'm very appreciative of the quality of Valant support. I had an issue with one of my payers and Valant support was able to isolate how the payer made a mistake and why - then was able to use the resources and reports in Valant to make an argument to make sure the insurance company pays.

Mobile App is great - dictation helps my practice tremendously (when I choose to dictate).

Cons

The issues I had with Valant are now addressed with being able to customize my clinical templates - thank you Valant for building that functionality!

Melissa S.

Audit proof your EHR

Reviewed on 2020/01/06

Nearly all the Valant staff members were have worked with have been friendly and professional.

Pros

The Valant system runs a tight ship requiring all the important piece to be in place before signing and billing. Additionally it has many checkpoints along the way.

Cons

Old browsers still being used that can be slow. We are still trying to locate a direct messaging address for us to connect outside medical records received.

Stephen S.

outstanding product, outstanding company

Reviewed on 2020/12/30

Great company, great product. Very satisfied.

Pros

One of the best decisions I ever made. I chose Valant way back in 2013 because it was web-based and had an integrated suite of functions, and because it was the company was founded by a psychiatrist, so he'd know what we psychiatrists most needed. The system has truly exceeded my expectations in almost every way. The company constantly works to keep it up to date, tech assistance is prompt and always helpful, and in general it's a beautiful, well-designed system.

Cons

Only two minor complaints:
1. The system's "mobile notes" documentation module keeps improving, but it's not yet fully customizable.
You can't yet custom-design your own pages.
2. The company rolled out a new version called "IO" recently that's a nice improvement -- but the IO version's scheduler seems much less intuitive, so I'm still using the older version.

Ann S.

Reviewed on 2020/12/31

I have been using this system for a few years now, and for the money, it is a great buy and I have no regrets.

Pros

The Intake Assessment provided gives a clear overview of the needs of the client. Keeping track of the payments is a breeze.
Progress notes are easy to use and treatment plan suggestions make this process easy. Informed Consent, Diagnosis page, Mental Status Exam and many other suggested or necessary documents are at your fingertips.

Cons

I always seem to find it hard to find the treatment plan after it is finished, when I want to go back to it. That could just be me.

Jeanne F.

EHR for psychiatric mental health private practice

Reviewed on 2021/01/24

I explored several different EHR's this time around. Price point and feature comparisons led me to choose Valant and I would choose this over again above the other options available.

Pros

This is my second time using Valant. I especially like the intake questionnaires and follow up measures that can be completed prior to visits and pull into each note. This feature saves time in documentation and frees up time during the visit to spend with patients. I like the way it is designed specifically for BH/MH. The prescribing feature is easy to use.
The tech support services have greatly improved since the first time I used Valant. They are patient and knowledgeable whenever I have questions or need help walking through different issues.

Cons

The most challenging part has been learning the practice management side and accepting payments using Elavon services.

Response from Valant Medical Solutions

Jeanne, thank you so much for your review. We appreciate having you as a customer!