Kareo Reviews

Kareo

Cloud based solution for medical practice management

4.1/5 (457 reviews)
Jacob V.

Kareo Billing Software

Reviewed on 2019/09/17

Overall we've been pretty happy with Kareo. There are a few features we miss from our old software but some of the features we gained by switching to Kareo mostly make up for the difference.

Pros

The main reason we were drawn to Kareo was it's API. It helped that it is cloud based and user friendly but our focus was on the ability to get the data out for use in reporting and our proprietary software and we were able to do that with Kareo.

Cons

The canned reporting is okay but most of the reports export to excel in an unusable format (or at least a difficult to use format with filler cells and merged cells).

Teegan F.

Great EHR with room for improvement for natural healthcare providers

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

Using Kareo has been a overall great experience. It does almost everything we want it to do well, and the few things it needs to improve it at least allows you to do partially.

Pros

I love the layout of Kareo. The dashboard is great and offers a lot of functionality while still looking clean and professional. The clinical portion is great as it shows all the sections of the note on one page. The ability to add and remove sections is also very useful. The interaction checker is nice, but needs improvement. The iPad app is really slick and I preferring using it when adjusting my patients (Chiropractor), as it allows me to quickly tap on each segment I'm adjusting from a list.

Cons

There is very little support for natural products/supplements in Kareo. You CAN make it work, but it's definitely not easy - requiring manually entering every single product you wish to recommend in the "Drug Favorites" section.

Rahul G.

Great software for billing but the EHR could use some polish

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

My overall experience with Kareo is very good. We use them for our software and practice management. I’m not using the EHR as it is not included with the package and there are some limitations for my specialty when participating in the MIPS

Pros

The software is web-based and very easy to use on the iPad as well as any other format that supports the browser.
It is easy and intuitive to use and everything is well laid out.
It is easy and intuitive to use and everything is well laid out.
You can access the data most of the time you’re only limitation is the speed of your browser The software is modular in that you paid for different modules from the E in charge of the software and practice management features
They have a great feature set. There always improving and adding more functionality.

Cons

There are too many marketing advertisements in my email for other features. The HR should be included for free if we do the practice management it doesn’t make sense to be forced to use another software. The practice management needs to have more versatility with the types of reports we can generate it is plenty of boilerplate template that should suffice most practices.
They need to have better support for doctors were trying to participate in there are too many marketing advertisements in my email for other features. Each shot should be included for free if we do the practice management it doesn’t make sense to be forced to use another software. The practice management needs to have more versatility with the types of reports we can generate at this point your boilerplate template that should suffice most practices.
They need to have better support for doctors were trying to participate in MIPS. They should be a QCDR.

Shelley G.

Medical Billing Lead

Reviewed on 2016/09/07
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Ease of use. There is a lot of helpful educational information, and when you call the reps are very knowledgeable and sincere about helping you with your problem.

Cons

When looking at payments entered daily, I would like to be able to scroll back and forth in the calendar rather than enter the dates. There is a daily report, but I just want to quickly scroll through the dates. This is one feature that would be nice, at least for me to quickly check to be sure all money is posted daily. The reps are very knowledgeable and willing to help you in most cases, except for one issue when I wanted to sign up for ERA's. It was not clear to me that there was a deadline and he closed my case before I faxed the forms. If he could have extended the timing, it would have helped- I also work in a different office, so I am not able to get doctor's signature immediately, and we were in the middle of integrating at the time. Also- your integration with P. Fusion- could be improved. The other systems PFusion integrates with are not so difficult with every character matching, etc., and this has been hard for our office. It is still new, so hopefully it will get easier. another thing I thought of- there are occasions where you have to delete or change a payment, and if you enter this before the insurance EOB comes in, and you find you need to change it, or apply some of this to another date of service, you can't easily delete payment information once it has been applied to a visit without having to delete all the claims data. This is unfortunate. I did speak with a rep who showed me how to copy the messages and re post in notes, but this is cumbersome if there are a lot of transactions. okay, I think that is enough feedback for today. I do love Kareo!

Gregory P.

Almost 3 years of use and we still love it!

Reviewed on 2016/07/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I came to our practice with no experience in health care and was immediately tasked with firing our 3rd party billing company and bringing everything back in house with Kareo. I had no experience in billing, patient demographics, insurance, posting payments etc.

Within one week of our launch... we had the basics down and were able to seamlessly transition our single physician practice to Kareo. Payments were coming in within the first 30 days. We also have a linked EHR system so our claims are easy to do with our doctor able to have the DX codes all input at the clinical note stage and everything seamlessly transitions right over to billing. We are so fast at it that our previous day's claims are out the door by 10AM the following day. I love this system and the folks that support it.

Cons

Some payers will make surprise changes in their EID that do not get updated into system tested into Kareo in a timely manner. It normally is discovered when payment posting gets out of whack and then it is discovered that the payer made a change in the technical date interchange. Then discovered that the change was not system tested in Kareo. It is a little bit of finger pointing on who is to blame for the interchange misses.... but don't get me wrong... when issue is discovered - they work to fix it - it just takes some time.

Barbara W.

Reviewed on 2013/01/13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I am a nurse practitioner with my own practice seeing patients primarily in nursing homes. I also do my own billing. When I was setting up my practice, I was told about Practice Fusion EMR software by a colleague. I saw that Practice Fusion is integrated with a billing system called Kareo, so I decided to check it out. Once I saw what they had to offer, I didn't look any further. Cost got my attention first, but the more I learned about it, the more I liked what I saw.

I have done medical billing for years in the past as an office manager. I am also a CPA, and I did consulting work in which I helped physician practices choose and set up billing systems. Compared to the older systems, Kareo is light-years better.

Implementation of Kareo took some time and effort. At first I thought it would be intuitive, and it is to a certain extent. These days billing is so complex, however, that I have some to see that it would be almost impossible to come up with a system that is entirely intuitive. I needed to complete the training, and then I was good to go. One thing that is really nice is the ability to choose training videos on the topics you need to learn about. The training videos are excellent. I did my training by starting a video, pausing it to enter my own data into Kareo, then continue on. This provided me with hands-on training, and it was very helpful. I also like the fact that I can go back at any time to view the videos again, and I can also view videos on topics or features of Kareo that I am using for the first time.

I chose to purchase customer support for the first month only, because I am pretty savvy when it comes to billing systems. During that time, the team was very nice, very helpful, and oh so patient with me. I always got the answers I needed.

One of the things that I especially like about Kareo is the reports that can be run. In the "old days" you could only run certain reports that were set-up by the system. It never made sense to me that there was a huge database of information, yet it could only be accessed in limited ways. Kareo provides many options for reports. I personally like the accounts receivable reports as well as the report that shows revenue from each facility where I practice.

Probably the biggest benefit I have received from Kareo is the time savings. I have to balance my time between my clinical responsibilities and my financial and billing activities. I am sure I could not do this without Kareo.

Bottom line: I am a very satisfied customer, and I would choose Kareo all over again if I had to choose.

Luann J.

review

Reviewed on 2019/03/08

Good. We have now moved all our clients to Kareo from other software.

Pros

We love being able to use Jopari for work comp and auto, I do not find other software offering this. Also printing the HCFA with background from the system has saved us huge amounts of time and money with our significant volume of work comp and auto.

Cons

Reporting could be better; we would like some standard reports that we have in other software and have not had the time to work on custom reports. We need reports that we can run easily by CPT codes; client often have questions on what they have brought in by specific codes and the reports can be confusing. Also just basic year over year summary of charges, receipts and adjustments would nice. Enrollment is better but still an issue that slows down new clients. We can't print the UB form with the background for faxing claims. We want batch numbers on patient payments so we can track the office collection. ASC Medicare rates do not show up in the contract & Fees; it defaults to the professional fee schedule.

Vivian S.

Welcome to Affordable Practice Management

Reviewed on 2015/11/04

My office began using Kareo Practice Management software in January, 2015. We had been using our previous vendor since 1986 and although it still works, it was costing $14,000.00 a year for support which we rarely, if ever, used. When I found Kareo at $299 per month I had to give it a try.

I began training myself in October 2014 through all of the training platforms Kareo offers. I read the articles, I watched the videos, I emailed and spoke with them on the phone. I found the system easy to learn and kind of fun to use. I introduced the rest of the staff to it in December after deciding that it could work for us. The most difficulty they had was entering insurance carriers for patients which in Kareo are called "cases." Through videos and phone calls they finally got the hand of it.

Our practice does not accept any kind of insurance and we opted out of Medicare so I cannot comment on submitting claims through Kareo. I do print up paper claims for surgery patients and the only problem I have with that is you can't print up a claim once the patient has paid the bill and you have entered the payment into the system. You have to remove the payment and change the responsible party to the patient's insurance company and then print a claim which does not show a payment. After printing, you have to go back to the patient's account and undo the changes you made. If your practice participates with various insurance companies, this would not be an issue for you.

I also don't use the Kareo billing service. I print up the statements and mail them out myself. The statement template is very well laid out and looks very neat and professional.

We transitioned into ICD-10 with no problem whatsoever. Kareo has all of the ICD-10 codes listed and it was a breeze to use their Superbill template and change the ICD-9 codes to ICD-10 codes. We were using our new Superbill on October 1st and everything went smoothly. Kareo even provided us with a list of our most used diagnosis codes and their corresponding ICD-10 codes.

Kareo also provides constant updates and they install very quickly and have never caused the software to crash.

All in all, I am extremely happy with Kareo. The software works, it's easy to learn and they provide excellent and friendly support. If you call them you are able to speak with someone immediately and they walk you through any problem you may be having. Long live Kareo!

Deborah J.

Kareo Review

Reviewed on 2016/09/21
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Our office has used Kareo as our billing software for the past three years. It is comprehensive and meets our billing needs. The support team for Kareo's PM software is phenomenal. I have called frequently over the past three years for customized support and have always gotten highly professional, pleasant and helpful representatives

Cons

Some of the information from our electronic records software does not always come over to Kareo as expected. I also don't understand why some of the doctors information seems to come over and others does not.

I don't fully grasp how insurance companies get set up and approved to receive electronic claims.

Response from Charlton

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Happy to hear Kareo's software meets your billing needs and that you find our support team professional, pleasant and helpful!

We'd like to reach out for more information regarding your mention of some of the information from your EHR not always coming over to Kareo as expected. Please email us at [email protected] to confirm your account/contact information so we may help look into this for you.

Also, here is the link to our free training courses: https://helpme.kareo.com/01_Kareo_PM/Kareo_PM_Training. Please do not hesitate to register for a live training or take an online course at your leisure.

Dianne E.

Best billing software among others

Reviewed on 2019/01/23

Problems that I have solved by using Kareo is not having to deal with a clearinghouse at all...it saves me tons of time. Kareo is so much easier to learn and get up and running from the start compared to so many softwares out there....it's just a terrific experience and I highly recommend it!!

Pros

Being linked automatically with a clearinghouse and the ease of submitting claims and rebilling is far better than other softwares I have ever used. The ability to enter data is far easier and quicker than with those other softwares.

Cons

There's only 1 thing I have not liked about the software and that is the inability to modify all reports. For example statements/receipts to patients for payments they make. The provider return address is not in the upper left hand corner of the statement/receipt so it can be mailed...I have to handwrite the return address on it. Also there isn't a single report that can be given to a patient that contains the provider info, patient info, services and all their pertinent info plus any payments and adjustments so they can turn them in to their insurance or claim rep. I have to submit 2 separate reports.

REVIEW OF KAREO

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Overall Kareo customer service has been helpful and responsive. Occasionally they have neglected to call us back when something has been updated for fixed, but for the most part, they are knowledgeable and seem to be motivated to help us run smoothly.

Pros

Mostly I like to have the ability to personalize the claim scrubbing process and fit it to our individual company needs. Such as pulling all Evals to make sure the original chart is complete or pulling out liability accounts to make sure we are billing appropriate rates. Kareo is user friendly and most items when clicked on will easily take you to another screen.

Cons

The one thing that Kareo has not mastered is how to easily generate secondary claims. Seems we have to "tweak" most of the posting for secondary claims, especially when Palmetto Medicare is the secondary payer. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what will work. What works with one claim - is different on the other.

7.0/10
Vincent A.

Affordable pricing and way less politics

Reviewed on 2019/10/14

I love the billing software and will incorporate EHR soon. This is business done well and I get my money's worth.

Pros

With Kareo I feel like I am getting a quality product at a fair price. There are products out there that are way beyond their worth. Kareo is just right and I never feel pressured into doing something unnecessary. Billing portion is hands down the best I have seen due to its ease of use when using the cloud base. The desktop base (PM) is a bit tricky and would need some time to figure out. But overall it is great and worth the money you paid for. Remote support team is very efficient in answering matters at hand. I love it!

Cons

I can't really think of a con. I mean you have to spend time learning the software. Practice owners should spend time learning the ropes so as to stay on top. Reason being, no one would ever appreciate and love your product more than you the owner.

Shirley W.

Easy to use and improves efficiency

Reviewed on 2018/05/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

This is our third software program in 8 years in business. This has been the most accurate, easiest to teach, and most integrative of the ones we've used. It's a good value for the money, and we've been pleased with the performance. We do have some issues, but it's fairly easy to get to management and discuss those.

Pros

We are able to use many of the tools, reports, and access in Kareo to improve our overall efficiency. We find claims go through successfully the majority of the time, entry screens are easy to use, and updating things like fee schedules are simple. Reporting is accurate and fairly easy to use, and we love the ability to write our own reports when we can't get what we need from the system (which is rare). There is a closed Facebook group of people who use the product and can support other users, and this is closely monitored by Kareo personnel, so it's a great way to interact and get help.

Cons

We would like to be able to do things across all our clients (enterprise level), and to have a cleaner collections follow-up, without having to adjust things off and make notes, etc.,

Anthony A.

Software is efficient and reliable

Reviewed on 2019/09/08

Software is efficient and reliable, will recommend it

Pros

Software is easy to use for billing, has few problems but they are updating it.

Cons

Need improvement in the Electronic Medical records, but they are updating.

7.0/10
Larry A.

Kareo Billing Software

Reviewed on 2017/01/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I was looking for a billing software for my relatively new part-time private practice (licensed clinical psychologist/psychotherapy). At the time I got the referrals from Software Advice, I was looking primarily at the moment to get started billing Medicare for an increasing client caseload with Medicare coverage. I contacted my three of the four companies provided to me and Kareo was the first to be able to set me up with billing Medicare, While now I can expand to use it for billing other insurances, I still have not set up another insurance to bill. So I will have to see how that goes. However, by consistently billing Medicare now with this software, I am familiar with many of the features of the software and billing is relatively quick and simple. I did sign up for Kareo's clinical software and while I am currently paying for it, I still have not used it.

Pros

Once client and insurance info is set up, It is very quick and easy to bill online for each claim. Thus I am more likely to bill for each session soon after the session rather than waiting to bill a few sessions in a batch. Also, the software allows for printing out 1500 paper Forms. I have not tried this feature yet but it could save me time and hassles refiling if I can fill out the form through the software. I also think some of the online tutorials are very helpful and thus make getting information more convenient than have to sign up for a phone or video training session. I have had contact with a number of the training coaches and in general, they have all been very helpful and easy to access. The billing software is also set up to record payments, running balances, etc. I have not utilized that feature yet but it is nice to know that it is there.

Cons

I really do not have a specific complaint about the software or the staff support.

Selina W.

billing ease

Reviewed on 2019/10/02

always updating and improving for the better - user friendly and always helpful staff - that find the answer within reason

Pros

easy posting - one or two of the reports come in handy

Cons

could use better reports - also, when you look up a claim and you are under that patient - It would be nice to have the system go right to that patient instead of having to scroll to find it.

Phoebe W.

It's a solid billing software

Reviewed on 2019/03/01

I've been using Kareo for several years now. I first began using it to bill at the first billing company I worked with and continue to use it at the facility I now manage. It is easy to use once you become familiar with it and is a functional, useful program.

Pros

I enjoy how easy it is to navigate between windows. I really like the key performance indicators being available on the home page so I can take a quick scan to see how we're doing. I really like the hyperlinks that take me to rejected claims and denied claims as it makes it so easy to track and correct items. The reports are so nice and easy to export to Excel for my AR.

Cons

It is difficult to edit some things and that can be tedious. The payment posting is a little easier in some other programs but once I have gotten used to how Kareo has it set up, it is less difficult to navigate.

Jo ann R.

From Newbie to Experienced

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

When a patient calls to ask about their account, I find it very easy to pull up their information and solve their problems. I use the task option all the time. This helps me (and anyone else who might need to review an account) remember what transpired on this account.

Pros

I was thrown into using Kareo when I was hired with my current employer. No trainer. Nothing. I was put in practice mode and told to figure it out. WIth the help of Kareo support, reading, and a superbill in front of me, I started billing. Now, four years later, I feel very comfortable with using Kareo for billing, AR, reports, and more.

Cons

I think the reports could use some extra help. Some reports are not as easy to create as others. I hate the two-step insurance setup. I personally would prefer ONE place to put insurance. Not to have a Insurance company and insurance plan.

Dee K.

Kareo Medical Billing Software Review

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

I have 2 different companies that use Kareo - if it wasn't for our CSC I would not have advised my 2nd company to use Kareo. The other CSC is not helpful at all.

Pros

Our CSC is a true asset to your company! He was always there to assist with my questions, and made sure that I understood how to properly maneuver the system.

Cons

Kareo needs to improve their training. Most people don't like a cookie cutter approach for training (i.e. videos, trainers that only teach what is on their agenda)

Response from Kareo

Hi Dee, we appreciate you taking the time to write an honest review. We will take your feedback to help improve the customer experience. We are happy to continue to support you and your business.

Best,
Kareo

Anupama R.

kareo is user friendly

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

cost-effective and in house billing

Pros

ease of use, no claims are lost
billing cycle easily available

Cons

duplicate eras from some insurances
customer service not easily available on phone

Sherryann R.

Money well spent

Reviewed on 2019/04/15

I have had to use other EHR, PM systems like AdvancedMD and Onco billing and Kareo is by far much more simple and easy to use and functtionality, and the cost is way less for a better system that everyone in the office can use efficiently and effectively.

Pros

Kareo is one of the first EHR and practice management system that is easy and simplified to learn for anyone no matter your computer experience. The cost for the EHR and PM is definitely much cheaper than most other systems out there! I learned a lot of the billing operations by watching their interactive webinars that is also simplified for easy learning!

Cons

The least I like about Kareo is probably the process of doing an adjustment or any changes once an account has money posted to it, I had to contact customer service to get assistance.

Jamie H.

5 star

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Pros

This software is user friendly & easy to use.

Cons

The only down side is if the patient has more than 2 insurances that it doesn't carry over from web pt to kareo for billing.

Allyson D.

Physical Therapy Practice Owner

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Pros

I like that I can see my patient schedule through using the Kareo app. I also like the ability to use the desktop version over the web based version. Kareo has great reports for therapists productivity and claim status. The reports are much easier to navigate than previous software programs I have used. This is important as a business owner of a private practice.

Cons

I wish it were easier to print an appointment list for my patients. With physical therapy patients come for multiple visits and this report is somewhat different to reproduce.

I have several patients that voice concern over hearing the automated telephone response calls, I wish this could be made clearer for patients.

Kim M.

KAREO REVIEW

Reviewed on 2019/05/22

Pros

Kareo is very user friendly and very easy to learn

Cons

Posting money is my least favorite option. It is not very easy to post manually

Ashley T.

Worst Customer Service I have EVER experienced. Truly. Used over 8 different EHRs since residency, never experienced such a disaster.

Reviewed on 2018/01/12
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Awful, I'm actually quite easy to please if a company does their part. I have done all their legwork, paid up front, still have no refill requests being submitted from pharmacies and no e-lab because no one ever bothered to instruct me to separately submit a new account with the labs. They only "discovered" this 3 months after the fact, when I demanded to talk to a manager. And then they sent me an automated enrollment email that should have been sent Day One. It's is a blackhole abyss of your time. Save your time- as doctors, it is much more valuable than doing the job, enrollments assistant that can't- and won't- do their job.

Pros

The billing reports are detailed and efficient. Unfortunately, the biggest factor- A/R accounts- is completely skewed if you take insurance. They ONLY compute an A/R report based on your listed self pay rates...so you get a completely unusable number in delinquent collections that really doesn't mean much.
Otherwise, it is easy to see your collections for the month, amount cash, credit, check, insurance payor. That's about the only positive thing I have to say.

Cons

I paid a year up front from a smooth salesman and to this date, 3 months after paying my first year, am not receiving any refill requests from pharmacies. I have spent COUNTLESS hours communicating with them- they have instructed ME to call SureScripts, call Quest, call LabSoft. After an hour on the phone, the operator at SureScripts (who is the e-scribing integrated PARTNER with Kareo) told me she had no clue why I was calling her as every loose end remained on Kareo's part. I told this to my "coach," her manager, the manager of enrollments and they continuously redirect me back to call SureScripts- because they can't figure out why I am not receiving any requests from pharmacies. I talked to a manager who had been specifically assigned to my account due to the nightmare thus far (in addition to no refill requests, I also have ZERO e-lab prescribing) he told me he would be the only person communicating with me directly due to the run around. The same day- (SERIOUSLY)- another person from enrollments called me after she had talked to the manager to call and tell me that the SureScripts had been denied, but couldn't tell me why, when it was submitted...and then couldn't confirm it was even submitted. So I'm still paying for an additional EHR so I can get refill requests. It is insanity. I can't even begin to express my frustration.
Also, when you send a portal message, the patient has no clue. They don't send an email as a notification to login to the portal to view a new message. When I brought this up to my success coach, she told me to train my patients to login every single day- in the rare case they may have a message to view...You have got to be kidding me.

1.0/10