TherapyNotes

Online mental health EMR and practice management software.

4,6
4,4
Micheal frances S.
Industry: Mental Health Care

Therapynotes is true to the promises it makes to customers

Reviewed on 2020/02/06

Pros

I run a small practice and I do most of my own billing, scheduling and of course documentation of my client's progress. This program is comprehensive and easy to use. What really makes this company better than the others in the field is their customer service. Plainly speaking the other companies I've tried offered little or no useable customer service, which resulted in my getting "stuck" on how to use their systems - and having to wait several hours or even days to get an answer on how to use a particular feature.

Cons

Compared to other programs I have used, Therapynotes just doesn't have things I dislike.

Brian L.

Therapy Notes

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

My experience with therapy notes has been great and I would recommend it to anybody

Pros

I like that it is easy to use, that it has reports for everything and the billing is made simple all you have to do is click submit and it is billed

Cons

I really have not found any cons. Maybe more of a tutorial on how to use it would be helpful. I have found it rather easy but some of my therapists have struggled at first then have loved it.

Response from TherapyNotes

Brian, thanks for the great review! Regarding tutorials, be sure to take look at our Help Center, Blog, and Youtube Channel. We also do live webinars and provide phone support 7 days per week.

Sarah H.

Love this Program!

Reviewed on 2019/12/19

Pros

It's so much more stream-lined and user-friendly than my last program. Multi-step functions are simplified to where you can do almost everything from one screen at the time you're using it.

Cons

I wish there was an option to send out confirmation texts when appointments are booked, not just the day before.

Jennifer L.

My Love/Hate Relationship with This Software

Reviewed on 2020/05/17

As a therapist, sometimes I feel like being with TN is akin to staying in a bad relationship. They don't actually promise anything but I keep staying because I keep hoping/believing they're going to come through one day and offer these features (i.e. fillable client intake forms that transfer the data into my intake note, a mobile app, and a two-way calendar). TN is also charging the same amount of money or in some cases more money as other EHRs that do offer these simplistic features. One good thing is that they did lower the price by $10 per month for solo practices, but I am already paying $79 per month for myself and one intern. That price will increase by $20 per month for every intern I supervise, and I currently have ten prospective interns waiting in the wings. You do the math.

Pros

The good: First, TherapyNotes has outstanding customer service. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and able to troubleshoot issues within minutes after I've wrestled for hours trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Secondly, ease of billing. I have been with this service since 2015 and I've tried about four other EHR products, but I keep coming back to TN because of the ease of billing. All you have to do is input the client's insurance information and once you complete a note, you just press a button and the claim is sent out. With other EHRs, I still had to fill out my own claim forms, which I didn't know how to do. Because TN makes it so simple, I have decided to stay with them. Getting paid is pretty important, so I suppose this would be the single greatest value for me as far as this software is concerned.

Cons

The bad: They consistently refuse to provide the simplest of features requested by their users. I am intentionally using the word "refuse" because it is clearly a choice made by TN. I asked TN in September 2016 if they would EVER implement an electronic intake form. TN told me they were "working on it" and gave me an estimate of December 2016. It actually didn't happen until several months later, and when they finally revealed it, it was so disappointing. All they did was give us the ability to upload a form to the portal so a patient could download it, fill it out, and then upload it back. This means I still have to go through the time consuming task of manually typing everything the client wrote into the intake form on my end. When TN released this feature, they were so excited, as if it were the most amazing feature they've ever rolled out, completely oblivious to the fact that this "feature" is not much different from me emailing my intake form to a client. Apparently TN thinks it's still 2003. Several users left comments on the announcement post telling TN this is NOT what we were waiting for. As of May 2020, we are still waiting.
TN also doesn't have a mobile app, while most other EHRs do. As someone else stated, there is no two-way calendar integration. I'd also like to see a way for me to document supervision meetings with my interns. Right now I have to create a separate client account for each of my interns to keep track of supervision meetings.

Response from TherapyNotes

Thank you for the review, Jennifer. We have a team of full-time developers working on TherapyNotes, and we are adding new features and improvements as quickly as we can, and the portal has been of significant priority. In addition to the Patient Information Form, we recently released the Patient Contact Form, and more forms and portal features are in development now. It is certainly not a matter of us refusing to add features, it's just a matter of getting to everything we want to accomplish.

Katie M.

Above & Beyond!!

Reviewed on 2019/02/07

TherapyNotes has the most outstanding customer service of Any company in which I've ever conducted business. Each time I call them they respond within 1-2 hours with a Solution to my inquiry. When I have certain requests pertaining to my practice or TN account, they willingly and generously support my concerns and do whatever it takes to work with me so that my practice succeeds.

I could go on and on with this answer but simply put, I'm so grateful I "stumbled" upon this company and EHR softward progam because I've had ZERO issues with them at all and would highly recommend them to any person seeking a new documentation system!

Pros

TherapyNotes EHR is an outstanding software for my private counseling practice. It's ease of use and ample "help" section makes it simple for me to learn anything I have questions about --most of the time without even needing to call them. I've been a customer since 2016 and have only positive feedback to give. Use the free-trial offer. I did and have no regrets.

Cons

Regarding TherapyNotes, there are only 2 things that cross my mind now and then.

1) I'd like for them to develop a mobile app. I mentioned this to them and they were very receptive stating they were in the process of doing so. I'm looking forward to that!

2) I'd LOVE if TN created Intake forms that could be tailored to individual practices (i.e. insert company name here) If demographic, consent, HIPPA, cancellation, etc. forms were incorporated into the program and could be easily send to new clients through the patient portal , it would save me a ton of time and allow me to concentrate on providing therapy rather than on the necessary paperwork that is required.

Andrea H.

Therapy Notes for Administrative Use

Reviewed on 2018/08/29

For me personally, and we have four offices filled with providers, Therapy Notes has enough options to fit the majority of our needs. I appreciate the quick support feedback. That's an important feature to me as a manager. I also appreciate their quick updates when there is an issue with the program, which is going to happen in any program one uses. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, they keep all of their users up-to-date in real time. I think Therapy Notes is a really good program and I would recommend it to anyone in this industry.

Pros

The software is pretty easy to use and set it up to what works best for your practice/office. I have trained many people on Therapy Notes since we started using it in February of 2016. The software is intuitive and learning the ins and outs is not too time consuming. I like it much, and I mean MUCH, better than our previous software program.

Cons

There are a few items that we would like to see such as being able to set up a client with more than one provider, and have the software bill insurance for one provider, but allow another provider to be self-pay with no insurance. The other really big item would be to add a comments section on the actual billing page. While we can make comments on the billing settings page, it would make sense to also allow comments on the billing page, where our providers are more likely to look. There are a few tweaks here and there that I'd love to push for, but all in all it's a great program.

Sherry H.
Company size: Self Employed

Several years of reliable service

Reviewed on 2020/06/11

Pros

I have been using TherapyNotes for several years and have had a reliable experience with intuitive functioning and pleasing graphic presentation. I just switched over to the Beta version of their telehealth platform and have found it to be more reliable than the other HIPPA platform I had been using, which has been such a stress reliever throughout my day. (Cannot control client technology and the wifi and internet issues that impact connectivity.) While I have been avoiding switching to their credit card processing as it was a bit more expensive, it really is nice to have everything from scheduling to billing all in one place. I have never had any problem getting in touch with tech and billing staff when needed and always have good results when I do so.

Cons

Would like the credit card processing to be more integral to the billing software (though I believe they are working on it.)

Response from TherapyNotes

Hi Sherry! Thanks for the 5 star review! So glad you are enjoying our telehealth platform!

Our credit card processing rates are the lowest in the industry, and it is completely integrated! I encourage you to give it a try.

Kerrin H.

Great Experience with Therapy Notes

Reviewed on 2015/03/19
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Therapy Notes has been the best thing we have done for our practice. It has saved time, money and space. I own a group practice and we are able to have multiple clinicians using the system at the same time. TherapyNotes will automatically do the billing with one click once the client information is entered and the note is finished. The notes are extremely user-friendly and easy to use. The notes can definitely be filled out between sessions to maximize your time. There is also no need for bulky file cabinets as all of the client documents can be scanned and entered into the system. It is very user-friendly, even my most technology challenged clinician can use it at ease. Also, the customer service is amazing. You can ask them any question and they will answer it, usually within a few minutes, at most a few hours. I would recommend this product to any clinician who wants to keep his or her sanity and time. Everything is all in one place and life is much more streamlined for sure! This product has literally saved my practice.

Cons

The thing that I like least is that there is no client portal, which means clients cannot log in to schedule appointments or change them. We have our website set up so that clients can book their own appointments and we must use Full Slate to do this, so it means we must constantly go back and forth to the two sites in order to keep our calendar. Other than that, it is great and hopefully they will have the client portal up and running really soon.

Kelly P.

Brief Experience

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2020/02/04

TherapyNotes is a great option but needs to remain competitive with the growing market of EHR. I would recommend it, but unless it's price changes, it was easier to choose the alternative option.

Pros

This software is great for a private practice. It has all the necessary features like scheduling, payments, an easy to use client portal, and of course documentation. The formatting was use friendly, attractive, and intuitive. As a solo practitioner, there were many features I did not have the opportunity to use that I am sure would have been useful for a larger practice (non-clinical staff features).

Cons

The features were very similar to SimplePractice, which at the time of sign up, was cheaper. TherapyNotes charged for client reminders, .14 cents per reminder. That can really add up! I also believe that the credit card payment is more expensive through Therapynotes. Therapynotes also does not offer a secure messaging system, which has been helpful for communicating with my patients.

Gelsie H.
Industry: Mental Health Care

My general experience with Therapynotes has been good. The program is versatile, efficient and very

Reviewed on 2018/04/15

This is a very good software that deals with most all of my company's needs in a user-friendly format with very good customer service.

Pros

My pros for Therapynotes are: user-friendly for staff and clinicians; different degrees of accessibility for users as set up by the administrator; most of the office's working can be assess in Therapynotes (such as patient reminders, different levels of accounting, and patient files); good availability to the company for support which has been friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt; easy insurance billing, quick and efficient remit processing, easy entry and manageability of insurance companies, CPT codes, and other billing codes; patient progress notes are in a usable and a nicely tailored format for mental health usage, and diagnoses are generated when you begin to type it in versus having to know the ICD 10 codes.

Cons

My cons are: would like a better querying system or means of searching patient information quickly and easily, sometimes the system runs slowly or seemingly gets bogged down for several hours.

Al L.

TherapyNotes.com

Reviewed on 2017/10/04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Therapy Notes, after I have tried many other versions of therapist practice billing softwares is hands down the number one software billing program in my book. As a PhD psychotherapist in private practice since 1977 in Manhattan and Westport CT and supervisor of private practice clinicians since 1984, I highly recommend Therapy Notes for all your Private Practice Psychotherapist needs!

Pros

Excellent software for billing and staying HIPPAA compliant while doing so. It guarantees that before you bill, all your necessary notes and compliances are in complete order.This software is a must for the Professional Therapist who has a new or established practice, especially if you have been in provate practice for many years already

Cons

It takes a few minutes to fill out the necessary HIPPAA compliant notes before you can bill. This can be burdensome when you are seeing more than 25 patients a week. However, it only takes 5 minutes or less to fill out each standard session note. The initial intake note and treatment plan for a new person you are seeing can take as much as 15 minutes to fill out once you are acquainted with it.

Katie M.

Awesome In Every Way

Reviewed on 2016/10/12

Therapy Notes is the most Outstanding clinical documentation & billing software system I have ever used. It's "Ease of Use" is exceptional. But during times it may be difficult to solve your problem on your own, TN has a Rapid Customer Service Response Time (typically 24 or less via email), in addition to a vast array of Tutorials to access that are clearly written and easy to follow on just about every topic imaginable. I love having access to a knowledge-based library this comprehensive that I can utilize at times I need to look up a quick procedure I had forgotten or for when I need an answer quicker than it may take for TN to respond (NOTE: I'm referring to an email response!) You do have the option of calling the TN support team and receiving instant customer service from a friendly, patient TN support representative. One thing I love is that in the 4-5 short months I've been using TN, I've had to contact Support for a number of matters, as I am a new, first time practice owner. It's very comforting to be greeted by or responded to by the same set of people on staff to assist me. The consistent low turn over rate says a lot about the management of a company and the staff at TN genuinely make me feel as if they're getting to know me and my company/account personally. Some of the actual features that has made my job easier by switching to Therapy Notes is their multiple drop down menu features for Clinical Interventions, or the History drop down tap, which you can click on during a session with your Client to instantly review their status from their last session. Scheduling is a breeze, Billing is effortless and the Patient Portal is exceptional. The features are endless and I can't rave about it enough. Not to mention, they take ALL suggestions for improvement into consideration and actually respond to those requests with gratitude while providing you feedback on your request. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A SIMPLE, YET THOROUGH AND COMPREHENSIVE SYSTEM DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR THE MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSION, THEN THERAPY NOTES IS THE ONE TO CHOOSE. HANDS DOWN, IT HAS MADE MY JOB SIMPLER AND HAS FREED UP VALUABLE TIME IN MY LIFE THAT I CAN NOW ALLOCATE TO MY FAMILY OR OTHER AREAS OF INTEREST. STOP RESEARCHING NOW! I personally signed up for the 30 day free trial to 5 or 6 different systems simultaneously when trying to make my choice as to which company to use. THERAPY NOTES IS ALL YOU NEED. Enjoy!

Overall TherapyNotes is a great program for solo and small providers who are needing a EHR program.

Reviewed on 2018/07/18

Pros

TherapyNotes is a great program for small providers who are needing to move to EHR/EMD. The interface is easy to follow, and the support team is easy to work with and great in resolving issues. I have recommended this platform to numerous peers and colleagues in the Mental Health Counseling or Psychotherapy fields.

Cons

Things I wish it had, like some of the larger software programs are:
1. Dashboard view for Supervisors and Administrators to notify them of any documentation that may be nearing required time frames for submission, and of any upcoming treatment plans, etc.
2. The ability to modify documentation templates to meet the specific need of the provider.
3. The ability to have billing modifiers automatically generate with a service claim, as currently you have to enter these prior to billing for each claim being submitted. In my small Outpatient practice, all users have a "HO" modifier that has to be added to every service claim. It would be nice if the TherapyNotes program implemented a process that would generate that code based on the professional providing the service.

These three items are personal "wants", but considering the cost and ease of use, they are minor compared to the great product that is being delivered by TherapyNotes.

Starlene S.

User friendly plenty of options for our office setting. Great customer service they are very helpful

Reviewed on 2018/04/13

Pros

The system is easy to learn. They have great options such as the automatic reminder system this helps cut down on individual calling. The new patient portal option seems to be helpful.

Cons

The system does not have a option to print multiples schedules at one time. We have 15 therapist and we have to print their schedules individually. Therapist do not have the option to see their billing totals to keep track. When using the portal you still have to call, schedule, and send paperwork.

Response from TherapyNotes

Thanks for the 9/10 review, Starlene! Perhaps you can avoid printing schedules at all by using the calendar sync feature so that clinicians can see their schedules on their smart phones? There is a setting to give therapists limited billing access so they can see their billing totals. We are working on more portal improvements, as you know, so a lot more is coming! Please call or email support if you want to follow up on any of these items. Thanks again!

Allen L.

I love the support and the professional quality of Therapy Notes.

Reviewed on 2018/08/01

Greatest efficiency of appointment scheduling and billing as well as accurate documentation of all therapy sessions

Pros

I love the support and the professional quality of Therapy Notes. I have tried most of the programs for therapist billing and practice out there today and Therapy Notes stands head and shoulders above the rest. Having been in practice for 40 years now, I hope to be able to continue for the next few decades with Therapy Notes as my professional companion.

Cons

THe software demands that you write a session note before submitting any sessions for payment from insurance companies and patients. However, this insures that the therapist is doing everyhting legally since session billing, according to all state licensure regulations, can only be billed following documentation of the session.

Sharon s. S.

Awesome practice management

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

Keeps my notes, claim submissions organized and efficient. The fee is so much less than what you would pay to have an actual person doing this for you. Time commitment is minimal and new products/services are always in process. TN really keeps up with the current needs of private practice clinicians. Thumbs up!!

Pros

There is nothing that it doesn't do, well accept some telemental health stuff, but even that they are working on. Anything we need, they are there to help and if they can't (hardly ever!) they look into it and before you know it, there's a new added feature to TN! For us part timers, they adjust the monthly fee, which is so helpful. I have been so happy with this help for my private practice!

Cons

No telemental health platform provided to online therapists yet.

Cheryl E.
Industry: Mental Health Care

Extremely comprehensive and easy to use

Reviewed on 2017/07/05
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

After this recent malware attack, they will be stronger and better prepared than most companies out there providing Electronic Medical Records.

Pros

The product is extremely well written, with all the functionality that you need in a private practice or a group practice. It is also extremely easy to use. Customer service is excellent all well. It was written by a group of experienced software engineers, and the main developer/owner is married to a psychologist! This is probably one of the reasons it is so comprehensive, they both are experts in the respective fields and know what was needed at the onset.

Cons

There are a couple of features I would like to see added, and they have taken my suggestions and they are functions they have considered adding in the future, which is nice to know.

Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to learn and use, many great features and fantastic customer service.

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018/11/26

I love that I can use one system for notes, plans, documents, upload, download, billing, accounting features, and I am even considering switching to also use TN for billing insurance eventually. Also love the very helpful and fast customer service and that they email.

Pros

Easy to learn and use, many great features, and fantastic customer service. So many people have recommended TN to me and what sold me was hearing about the ability to approve and co-sign notes, that their customer service is great, and the different roles and multi-roles available. All the prompts are helpful too and are subtle rather than annoying like some other programs might be. Very organized, clear, with great direction and easy on the eyes. It was easy to teach myself how to use it, and I would not even call it 'teaching' because they design it to feel intuitive and give guidance not only as you go, but also in a designated 'to do' area so that it is easy to manage and you can take your time.

Cons

Would like there to be fillable forms we can customize for clients that are browser based, like IntakeQ for example or SP.

Chris M.
Company size: Self Employed

My practice is so much easier now.

Reviewed on 2018/08/27

Pros

I love the way that billing and charting are integrated; once my notes are done, I am only a few clicks away from my billing being done. What a relief. I also like that some of the tasks that used to be onerous, e.g. submitting records for disability reviews, printing out billing history, etc... are now just a matter of minutes to perform. This is a great value for the price.

Cons

I really don't have any things that I do not like about the software. Honestly, this is the least stressful or frustrating part of my practice, and it mitigates so many other stresses.

Teresa C.

Best EHR Platform

Reviewed on 2020/03/12

I have been using TherapyNotes since 2016, and I am very happy with their EHR platform. It is intuitive and easy to use. Their customer support is very responsive to your questions and feedback. It is also apparent that they continually look for innovative ways to make our jobs easier.

Pros

Ease of Use; Convenient; Intuitive; Responsive Customer Support

Cons

If I accidentally "Add to Dictionary" a misspelled word, I have not yet figured out how to undo it.

Response from TherapyNotes

Thanks for the great review! To reset your spell check dictionary go to the Notes Settings page. Just search "spellcheck" from the global search to go right there.

Coleen L.

Best thing I've done for the documentation and billing side of my practice, Thank you Therapy Notes.

Reviewed on 2017/08/08

I think, "hard to believe, but true"I have recommended Therapy Notes to all my therapist friends who have asked about record keeping and billing.

Pros

Ease of use is the thing I like the most and that is closely followed by great quick responsive support the few times I have needed it. I used two other software programs to keep records and other billing clearing houses---horribly difficult and cumbersome. Therapy Notes has never disappointed me.

Response from TherapyNotes

Thank you for the wonderful review!

Wendy K.
Industry: Mental Health Care

Makes billing and documentation easy

Reviewed on 2019/08/16
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

My records are in compliance and complete and electronic billing expedites payment.

Pros

I have found the managementt program user friendly and the complany keeps on improving the product.

Cons

The options for race and ethnicity are limited and does not allow for an accurate demographic label.

Melech M.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

My experience with therapy notes after 2 years

Reviewed on 2020/09/25

I am solving billing, electronic HIPAA compliant notes, client self service sign ins and scheduling

Pros

The customer service is courteous and very patient and very accessible. They gave me a free trial and is very user friendly.

Cons

The options of connecting credit cards from patients to the system and minimal and can be priced better

Easy Note Taking Software

Reviewed on 2019/04/29

Easy software to use, basic features.

Pros

TherapyNotes makes it easy to complete a full note for my clients in just a few minutes. With click boxes, writing boxes, and drop down tabs, I was able to make thorough notes in between sessions with my clients. This helped me to make sure that I stayed on top of my notes and always remembered what I talked about with my clients.

Cons

You have to pay extra for some things that other softwares include for the same price (for example, texting reminders to clients for their appointments).

Katherine C.

TherapyNotes review

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/10/12

Pros

This software was easy to use. I liked the "history" button, which allows you to reuse information you've already written. I also like the patient portal option, which allows me to share documents with my patients easily.

Cons

When a patient is on a treatment team, everyone gets notified about incomplete documents, which can cause confusion and miscommunication.