SimplePractice Reviews

Alicia
Alicia

One Place for all of Your Electronic Medical Record Needs

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

I am a pediatric occupational therapist and have been very happy with Simple Practice. I would recommend it to anyone. I have also used this software as a client and it's very client-friendly. The passwordless login makes it easy to login, I like the appointment reminders by text and email. I have used the telehealth feature as a client, but not as a therapist. It doesn't work well for evaluations because of the way documents are formatted, so I write those and my plan of care forms/goals on a separate document outside of SP.

Pros

You can bill insurance with the click of a button. I love being able to make my own forms so documentation is more efficient, and the paperless intake process is smooth. Much of it is very customizable to the needs of your practice. The company is very receptive to feedback from users and is constantly upgrading and adding features.

Cons

There was a learning curve to figure it out and I'm still learning about all of the reports they can run. I don't like the online scheduling feature very much, but that's partly because I'm used to using Acuity Scheduling which has many more features. I used the online scheduler briefly and wasn't thrilled that only new clients could use the online booking feature from the website; current clients have to login to the portal to schedule. I decided to just stick with Acuity because it allows me to get information from clients at the time of their booking and I can use it to schedule groups, which is a big part of my practice.

WebPT, HelloNote and Fusion

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

It has everything in one place.
Luis

Expensive but (almost) worth it

Reviewed on 2022/03/08

SimplePractice is very good software for mental health. However, all the options and features lead to complexity. This isn't necessarily bad design - it's simply that there are so many things the software does that there is a lot to learn. Even if you're good with software, implementing the whole package in the condensed time frame required for starting up means that there are times when you'd love to talk with a support rep. It's not that it isn't physically possible to speak to a live person about using the software. It's that by the time you actually hear from a live person, you've either solved it on your own through hours of your own labor, found a work-around, or decided not to use the feature you needed help with.

Pros

Robust and configurable. Every feature I can think of, that a mental health practitioner might need, is part of this product. Every part of your practice is configurable, from intake documents to discharge documents. Credit card processing? Yes. Online scheduling? Check (it even produces code for your website, so you can have people book appointments directly from your website). Revenue summaries? Yes. Client attendance reporting? Yes, that too. This review isn't the place to make a comprehensive list of features - but it is the the place to make the point that the feature list is comprehensive.

Cons

SimplePractice offers different pricing tiers, so you can use as much of the software as you're willing to pay for. But, IMnsHO, what's the point of choosing the most robust software if you're not going to use the high-end (expensive) option? So, I pay (as of this writing) $99/mo to use the software.

You'd think that princely sum would enable the occasional conversation with a support team member. It may, but I haven't been able to see how to do it. Have a look at the SimplePractice website and see if you can find a number to call for support. I could not.

To be fair, they have a large number of videos which clearly explain how to use the software. They're very good, especially if you know which video you need to watch. Bottom line is when you're working a bunch of hours, stressed by carrying a full case load, trying to implement this very comprehensive software, you could use a friendly hand on the phone with set-up. At least, I could.

Instead, I got (best case) 48 hour turnaround to emailed questions. For $99/mo, I feel like I should be able to call them now and again.

Charna

Buggy system

Reviewed on 2016/07/03

I am a brand new user and apparently made the mistake of trying to set things up over a holiday weekend when SP team is away. That's not their fault. Since I haven't been using it for long I can't comment on all the features, but i will say I'm considering asking for my money back after spending two days adding my client info and getting repeatedly frustrated.
I pretty much just wanted software that would organize my clients info ( dx codes, different fees) so making receipts would be easier. And I was considering online scheduling. I'm not sure this is the best solution. I've been in practice for 14 years and this is my first attempt at using software for note taking. I should also say my growing edge is being patient with technology. I wish i'd just paid someone to set it up for me because I don't find it fun to figure it out.
Once it's all set up maybe I'll love it, but the problem is they sent me this option to review two days after I started data entry.
I'll get more specific in the pro and con section.

Pros

Adding clients in calendar seems relatively easy. Since i have sliding scale i like that i can personalize the amount they pay and keep it clear and organized.
Don't know how it will work, but I am excited to be able to have a credit card payment linked so I don't have to ask clients for their card each time.

Cons

There are a lot of buggy things where you have to add what the system wants vs being able to customize info.
While Adding new clients the option to add an email or address didn't automatically show up, and since I wanted to have all that info for receipts I tried to figure out how to do this. Under editting client info each time I tried to add their email and home address when I pressed save it would automatically change the name and phone number to my name and number. No idea why this would happen? Perhaps a special bonus mindfulness test? This process took twice as long because of this. Eventuslly i figured out if I just added an email and pressed save , then added address and saved again it seemed to be ok. Also cutting and pasting info didn't work. I kept being told it was an invalid email. It doesn't like if there are any extra spaces.
Then adding cpt... I have questions, since I charge more how if will all come together on the invoices/receipts.
I just wanted to upload my forms I created and I did not find this easy. Have yet to figure it out.
Unnerved to even touch the billing / invoicing but that's why i bought the software so I'm waiting to get SP support since my friend who uses it said he's inexperienced with this feature.
Even submitting this review it insisted on me adding an organizational name. What if their isn't one?

Response from SimplePractice

Charna, I'm so sorry you had this experience with us right off the bat. We're here to make things simple, not complicated. I checked in our our email conversations with you and it looks like we've worked on getting things working for you together! If you're still having any trouble, let us know by filling out a request: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new We're here to help!

Celina

User Friendly EMR

Reviewed on 2023/10/28

Easy to search, filter through, no issues

Easy to search, filter through, no issues

Pros

User Friendly, Easy to use, Simplified program

Cons

Nothing, all I have are pros, no cons, great EMR

Joy

Comprehensive Software for my Solo Practice

Reviewed on 2021/05/18

I tried a number of different software platforms, and SimplePractice was the most comprehensive and easy to use.

Pros

The Calendar is easy to use and the Client Portal is very convenient for clients to complete paperwork.

Cons

The Video Telehealth option did not include key features and was expensive and nagivation of creating forms was difficult

My Clients Plus

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

SimplePractice was much easier to use and better for a solo practice.

CarePaths EHR

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

SimplePractice was much easier to use and better for a solo practice.
David
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

The name of the software says it all.

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

Overall, I find Simple Practice to be just that, simple. It has all manner of features that I do not employ nor does it force me to jump through hoops I don't require. I might well use some of the bells and whistles at some point but the ease of doing just what I need to do in minimal time is it's major selling point for my practice.

Pros

The EHR is simple, uncomplicated, and lets me get my work documented without fuss or having to click through various pages to record progress notes. Also, the names in the calendar appear as first, and last, as opposed to some gibberish assigned to each patient that I am forced to remember as my former EHR software required.

Cons

The setting of the appointment time I find to be clunky. It defaults to the current time, which means I have to scroll to the correct time when I make an appointment for the patient. Yes, a minor issue but I wish there was some other way to ascribe an appointment time. I frequently return appointment requests in the evening. having the calendar time default to a PM time is a minor issue but I'm not fond of it. A minor quibble, but I need to be careful or I schedule someone for 8:00 PM when it should have been a morning appointment. I'll get used to it I am sure.

Amy

from paper to technology

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Overall I am very pleased with this product and the more comfortable I get with it the more time it will save me.

Pros

the features I appreciate most about the software are the auto billing and automatic superbill generation. these are tasks that have no return on my time investment and so anything to automatize or regain my time is a good financial investment for me. I also appreciate the ease of adding my clinical note directly to the appointment, the way it links couples together and the ability to share and upload documents with clients. the customer service has been stellar, from answering questions to providing a free 1:1 consult. They have also responded to our request of adjusting the demographic form to be more inclusive which was a major need for my practice.

Cons

I don't like that I have to add a whole separate client entity for couples and that they have to sign their own consents. Creating your own intake questionnaire is extremely tedious if its comprehensive and so I'm yet to try and get my current form onto the system because it would take me hours.

TherapyNotes, LLC

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Recommendations from colleagues and the experience of the free trial. The ease of which I was able to navigate the interface made me want to continue trying things.

Response from SimplePractice

Amy, thank you for your positive review - we're glad that automation of your practice workflows has helped you save time and get a higher return on your time investment. We're also proud to continue iterating on SimplePractice to introduce new, better features to more effectively support your practice and clients. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Gracie
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Successful Practice Meet Your Sidekick

Reviewed on 2019/12/02

I switched to Simple Practice from another EHR due to the features offered and the customer support. It is important for me as practice owner to have features such as managing the client portal access and the ability to send new client paperwork via the client portal. Simple Practice has all that is needed with integrated insurance billing, invoices, super bills, clinical note structure, video therapy, and credit card swipe. I am thrilled to have Simple Practice and look forward to learning more about all the features the EHR provides! I know Simple Practice will help me and my practice grow exponentially!

Pros

I enjoy the software has integrated assessments, a client portal accessible to place on your practice website, Wiley Treatment Planner, and built in paperwork needed for new clients. I am appreciate of the customer service that is prompt with response. The software has amazing training videos that assists with new users like myself.

Cons

Billing insurance does not seem intuitive, however I signed up for a class to gain knowledge in billing.

Robin

Simple practice honest review

Reviewed on 2020/06/16

Overall my experience with SimplePractice has been positive and I would recommend it over other electronic health records. In doing my research and talking with others, simple practice stood out as the most user-friendly and clinically professional platform.

Pros

As a former pen and paper therapist, getting started with SimplePractice was a bit tedious, But that would have been the case with any electronic record. Once that process was complete using it daily with current and new clients has helped me run a more professional and organized practice. It is easy to use and has a lot of helpful features like forms, templates and assessments.

Cons

There may be a way to do group sessions when you upgrade to the platform for Telehealth but I have not figured this out yet. I would like to be able to do a group meeting with multiple colleagues or supervisees.

TherapyNotes, LLC and TheraNest

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

I talked to other users of SimplePractice and felt like it would best suit my needs over the other options. It is also my understanding that simple practice intends to connect to the NCHIE which will become mandatory for some providers in North Carolina
Jennifer

Simple Practice

Reviewed on 2023/04/25

One of the most simple to learn and use. Very well designed and to the point!

One of the most simple to learn and use. Very well designed and to the point!

Pros

The ease of use! This EHR software is very easy to use. If the documents that you need are not already present, it allows you to create what you need.

Cons

NAThere isn't a lot of negative with Simple Practice. There are only a few small glitches I noticed with the TX plans but these are easily overcame.

Casey

Overall great software that could use a few improvements

Reviewed on 2019/07/31

Overall, I have been happy with Simple Practice. I wanted a place I could handle paperwork, notes, billing, scheduling, and secure video and messaging--this has got it all. It's priced fairly, and so far has been more consistent than more expensive competitors. The support staff is helpful and quick to respond, but I would like to see clients have direct support access so that I am not having to be a middle person when they have technical issues. (I was told they try to limit client contact for privacy reasons, but with a BAA and informed consent in place, I don't see how privacy would be an issue.) The biggest change I would like to see is for clients to be able to upload and send documents. This is something I'd imagine multiple users would appreciate as many of us are offering telehealth and need to have a copy of each client's ID. Also, it would be more convenient for providers if clients could access their demographics so that the provider is not responsible for making changes whenever they'd like to opt in/out of text or email alerts. Finally, I'd like to see the consent documents moved out of the client portal and with the other forms so they are more easily accessible for updating.

Pros

Mostly user-friendly, responsive and helpful customer support, customizable templates, clear video, easy client onboarding and billing, great value for the price

Cons

Placement of consent documents is awkward and not intuitive. I would like the client to be able to send documents to me, access tech support, and change their demographic info and opt in/out choices.

CounSol.com, TheraNest, VSee Clinic and Doxy.me

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

It cost nearly twice as much and rarely worked as advertised. They offered credits, but I needed working software--they cost me clients.

WeCounsel

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

All the features I needed were in one product with Simple Practice, onboarding is simple, and the price is fair.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Casey, thanks for your positive review, and for calling SimplePractice a great value for the price. We're proud to provide an excellent product at a great value to private practices everywhere. Welcome to our community. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Daren

Great Overall, but Their Settings Menu Needs Work

Reviewed on 2019/12/12

My experience has been good overall. I think they make a lot of aspects of treatment easy which is good given their name. I don't like very many EHR's in the world because all they care about is practice management and are pretty terrible for high-volume clinical tasks - which makes them indirectly quite expensive in terms of labor to use. I think SimplePractice is a good balance between the two - though their reporting and practice management is still pretty weak.

Pros

I really like their balance between practice management and clinical documentation for a small practice, as well as the degree of customization for forms and documents.

Their portal is pretty easy for clients to use (I rarely get people having trouble with it).

I like their booking widget for my website.

The telehealth video/audio quality is very good.

Their help database is one of the better ones I've seen, lots of great articles and clear instructions that seems to be kept up to date.

Cons

Their settings menu is not intuitive and you have to hunt around to find the setting you are looking for.

CEU offerings are not on topics of interest to me.

Their clearinghouse doesn't have one of the carriers I need.

Reporting and practice management tools are weak.

Their paid therapist collaboration group where potentially sensitive information is discussed is hosted by Facebook (perhaps the most untrustworthy and unethical software company on the planet) AND they charge us to be invited to participate on a platform that doesn't cost SimplePractice any money to host other than maybe some moderating? That doesn't align well with the brand reputation and quality of SimplePractice and isn't really a good value for the money (in my opinion).

TherapyNotes, LLC, Tebra and TheraNest

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

For the reasons I described in my overall experience.
Darleena
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

WISH it would of been what I wanted and expected. Sadly disappointed.

Reviewed on 2022/12/06

I believe they grew to fast and forgot about providing customer service to there providers. I had to leave because the EHR softeware was useful but no answers to questions or needs what not acceptable form of business for me.

Pros

I liked that they are HIPPA COMPLIANT and Affordable.

Cons

Unfortunately, the ability to reach anyone is very challenging. This inability to talk with a real person cost me financially because I was not able to verify insurance information or even find out where my payment went. In some cases I was not able to get paid for the services I provided. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT>

TheraNest

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Had to give it a try because other colleagues were exploring it to see whether it would be a good fit.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Darleena,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Just to clarify, we do offer multiple ways to receive live support. You can either call our Customer Success Team team, or connect with them via live chat. Additionally, if would like to set up a live video call with a team member, you can create a Help Request and request a call. All of these options can be reached by clicking on the ? icon in your account > Ask Questions > No > Contact Support > Send an Email Request. -Sara

Hilary
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Robust for most needs but an irritating oversight for telehealth

Reviewed on 2021/02/01

Pros

This software is richly featured. I've appreciated the ability to create very sophisticated custom online intake forms, and and the autopay enrollment for automated batch credit card billings. There is a lot of video how-to documentation and customer support is timely and attentive if not always able to resolve issues.

Cons

Simple Practice has its own add-on telehealth option but makes it difficult to appear professional to clients if you are using another technology for your virtual sessions. The first office location you enter is what is displayed both on the customer portal and on superbills, with no way to separate the two. In my case this means the Post Office hosting my PO Box is displayed as my practice location on the portal with an associated map. Users of SP's telehealth option can input a separate billing address.

TherapyNotes, LLC

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Substandard features and support Concerns about security

nTreatment

Most flexible configuration
Jill
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

I have had on-going insurance enrollment and payer reports since I started with Simple...

Reviewed on 2017/11/12

It is simple with respect to face validity. You can navigate around pretty easily without making serious or irreversible mistakes that many of us fear with the technical aspects of EHRs.

Pros

It works relatively well if you have mostly direct pay clients or accept only a couple of insurances. It also works well if you have very few tech problems, your are pretty "techy" and industry knowledgeable to begin with, and you are ok with short answer email responses to any questions you might have.

Cons

There is no one to call. Even if you email asking for a phone call, they won't talk to you. Their customer support consists of sending you video and article links about how to do things. Or emailing you back and forth over the period of weeks or even months. However, if you have an actual, real-time problem, that cannot be fixed by watching a video, and requires someone to actually get on a phone and figure out what is going on- forget it. Your accounts will be hopelessly upside down, which is anything but simple! For example: insurance enrollments or payer reports that require immediate technical support, forget it. They will email you back and forth for months telling you that they submitted to have the problem fixed, as if that fixed your problem. Or they will answer you without addressing the whole problem. If you accept and/or bill multiple insurance companies, keep moving. Simple Practice is not the answer. It's too difficult to move your entire operation to another EHR once you have completely set up with Simple Practice and then you find out months later that there are no "simple" fixes when you have legitimate insurance problems.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Jill - Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to hear you feel like we're not here to help you! That's definitely not the case. While we aren't able to respond immediately to emails and don't currently have phone support, we do our best to get you a personalized response within a few hours. We also have several Live Online Classes to show customers the various features in the platform and how to use them. If you're interested in signing up for any of these, here is the link to do so: http://features.simplepractice.com/classes/

If there's something we haven't helped out with, please don't hesitate to send us a message here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. I'll make sure we help you out. We appreciate your patience and candor, Jill!

Cheryl

Simple Practice: An EMR for Speech Language Therapists with Potential

Reviewed on 2021/09/28

Overall, I find SP to be an acceptable, but not optimal EMR. I continue to use it, because, quite frankly, my understanding from other SLPs is that all of the EMRs that are available to those of us who are single member practices (thereby giving us a single member practice budget) are lacking in some way as well. I continue to use it because it allows me to easily bill insurance. I find the cost to be exorbitant for the little I use it for though. It is my largest business expense, and as a part time practice owner who wants to spend time helping clients, not figuring out how to use an EMR, it is a constant frustration.

Pros

The claims filing process using Simple Practice is very easy, and efficient once initial information is entered correctly. There is only one tweak that has to be made each time, and it can be submitted. Claims are paid quickly, once remittance capabilities are set up with each insurance the claims details quickly populate. SOAP notes can be set up and customized fairly easily, including with one line responses and check boxes once one has figured out how to do this. It is very easy to enter data for much of the note on my phone following each session at client homes. I can then easily use the Simple Practice App on my phone and take a photo of the handwritten notes I jot down in session and it imports easily into Simple Practice. These two features are the reason I keep using the product as the rest of it's options need work to be functional for an SLP.

Cons

SP lacks features that I really need in an EMR. One of the biggest things it lacks is a way to easily note quantifiable data, match it to a short term goal, and quickly give me the ability to bring up a number of days of that data with a search. I have to keep quantifiable data on separate excel spreadsheets for each of my clients in order to be able to quickly access it to write progress reports (which I do quarterly). If I want to batch print SOAP notes, I can't. Each note has to be opened/viewed individually (even though it appears that it all gets pulled down together in a Zip File). Who has time for that? Simple Practice also lacks the ability to customize certain features. For example, I really want to be able to set up text alerts for clients for certain periods of time, but not always. Such as the week I return from a vacation. I do not want to have to go into each client, set alerts, then remember to turn them back off again after that date. I also want to be able to just set texts to remind new clients initially, not weekly. Another thing I really need is the ability to batch email clients from within the EMR without listing each email (for privacy). I currently have to cut and paste notes to each client and email separately. For example: when sending out procedural updates, reminding clients of a week I am closed and so on. Why haven't these things been added/customized yet? There are a large number of users who have requested them in the request section.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Cheryl, thank you for your thoughtful feedback. I can certainly address some of the "Cons" you mentioned. The same issues you run up against when trying to mass email clients with updates are the ones we have to deeply consider when building a mass messaging feature through our platform. As an EHR, client data is of utmost importance to us and many mass messaging tools include contact information for all the recipients in it. We're still exploring ways to enable mass messaging, while maintaining the confidentiality and security of your client data. As far as being able to quantify data for reporting, exporting all Progress Notes onto one document, creating timeframes for when appointment reminders are enabled, these are all features that we could implement in the future. If you'd like us to further consider these feature requests, let us know on our Ideas & Suggestions Board: http://simplepractice.uservoice.com/ ! - Ruth

Ariel

Satisfied Chiropractor & Acupuncturist

Reviewed on 2018/02/28

Pros

Lots of important pros. 1) Online scheduling and intake, 2) integrated payment processing and auto-pay, 3) cloud based, 4) competitive pricing, 5) very easy to learn, 6) the team is getting faster (slightly) with updates/improvements, 7) works for chiropractic billing now, 8) free online help articles, and 9) free month trial. We looked into so many options, and Simple Practice was clearly the best in our opinion. We're still happy with our choice; the pros outweigh the cons!

Cons

1) Text reminders: you only have a few options of when they go out, and all options are 24+ before the appointment. A text reminder shortly before greatly reduces no-shows, so it's a major feature missing.
2) Confirming appointments: you can't turn off the need to confirm appointments, and it's time consuming to confirm every. single. appointment. We want the option to turn off confirmation, or at least for some appointment types.
3) Email reminders: you have to turn them on for every patient, and it's not quick to get to it.
4) Sales tax: they don't track it, so you have to manually keep track. You shouldn't use this software if you sell products regularly.
5) Customer service: too slow. Not just initial response time, but how many back and forth emails it takes to get an answer. I tried the live q&a and it didn't get me an answer any faster. Chat would be a big improvement.
6) Group practice: overall it works well. The thing that is lacking is the report to help with payroll. It's confusing and needs better instructions/help articles
7) Online scheduling: overall good. The con is cancelling online. A) it's hard to find, so we get more phone calls than we used to. B) we let patients cancel up to 12 hours beforehand, but the software cuts it off 24 hours before, so we again get more calls than before.
8) Color coding: you can't set the background color of appointments. For us, it would be so helpful to make insurance appointments a different color than self-pay.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Ariel - We love hearing from our customers that have shopped around and find SimplePractice the best platform for their needs! It's great to see you're utilizing so many features already. When it comes to your requests for feature adjustments, we regularly take customer requests into consideration to make sure our product meets the needs of all types of business owners. We're created a Product RoadMap to share what we've done lately and what is in the works here if you're interested in checking it out: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap

Thanks for your detailed review!

Amber

Administration is Frustrating

Reviewed on 2021/05/26

Pros

It is simple to use and if you don't have a large number of clients that you see then it works well.

Cons

None of the billing reports include all data points that is necessary for keeping track of payments and insurance reimbursements. For example, one report may have date of service and paid amount, but not the date the payment was made or for which clinician. Another report may have the date of service, client, and clinician, but not the payment amount or date it was paid. This makes it necessary to keep records outside the system which creates a problem for record keeping from a HIPAA standpoint. It's also a problem that we are paying for a system that doesn't cover all our needs.

The second significant problem is that Simple Practice doesn't allow patient medical record numbers. They also have stated they do not intend to include this in future improvements. When you can't use the billing reports because they are incomplete, and then you can't assign a medical record number to a patient, it makes it extremely difficult to follow HIPAA guidelines on record keeping. You can assign a medical record number to a patient, but there is no place to put it so you are unable to do any reports or searches using the number. And, again, you must keep a record of it outside the system.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Amber, thank you for the detailed review! You're right, none of our Reports include the date an insurance payment was made, but the Appointment Status Report includes the date of service, amount owed, amount insurance paid, amount client paid and the clinician's name. Here's more on the Appointment Status Report: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]! Although you can't assign a medical record number in the system, each client has a unique numerical code in the URL. You can use these numbers, or the entire URL to distinguish your clients from one another outside the system. - Ruth from SimplePractice

Trevor
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

I would strongly encourage to not use this product

Reviewed on 2022/05/06

I have researched at least 15 different platforms and have settled on SP as it is too difficult at this point to move my practice as I don't have the time. I would not recommend this product to anyone and find the manner in which the SP staff interacts when questioned to be problematic and defensive.

Pros

The EHR is relatively easy to use if you keep things simple. Additionally, the billing aspects of the software appears to work 1/2 the time.

Cons

The list is almost endless:
-NO customer service unless you email them and pray that they will return the email with an answer that does not even address the question.
-The video platform is maybe 20% functional. It is inconsistent and spotty. Most of the time, I have to have patients use FaceTime due to glitches.
-The video platform often goes down and SP does not alert you to the outage until you reach out and then they tell you the next day that it went down but is now back up.
-Did I mention the customer service is worse than the DMV?
-The latest price increase required that one pay 20.00 more per month to allow the calendar to sync with google (which was an option in the previous build) which then forces the therapist to keep two calendars.
-Templates are horribly basic and very complicated/impossible to modify

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Trevor - Thank you for your feedback. Aside from offering email support, we do also offer live chat and phone support. Both of these options will allow you to connect with our Customer Success Team immediately and all three options allow you to continue a conversation with our team until you receive an answer to your question. Additionally, our team can assist with any Telehealth issues that you may be experiencing and will determine the source and resolution of the issue within your Help Request. To contact our Customer Success Team via phone or chat, click on the ? icon in your account > Ask Questions > No > Contact Support > choose either phone or chat. -Sara

MEREDITH
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

I wish Simple Practice did more, was easier to use, and the customer service was better

Reviewed on 2019/11/07

Barely satisfied. I ran out of room in the Con's box.

Barely satisfied. I ran out of room in the Con's box.

Pros

As a working mom of two young children, I was looking for something to save me some time. Once I figured it out on my own (which took too long in my opinion because of unhelpful video tutorials and unhelpful customer service), it now has saved me some time. I like how easy it is to chart progress notes. It has saved time and desktop space. Once I figured out how to submit claims, I appreciated not having to manually enter the information myself every time I have submitted in the past. These were two main reasons I wanted to switch.

Cons

I wish it could do more and was easier to use. Here are some features that would be great additions to Simple Practice:

- Have the ability to be Excel where I can track office expenses (i.e., office supplies, tax deductions)
- You MUST make customer service easier to get ahold of and more knowledgeable. Email back-and-forth communication is a frustrating customer service option.
- Have your customer service people be more professional. When I video-ed for my free 30-minute video at the beginning of using the software, the person was late, not professionally dressed, and looked like they were at a beach house. I was also frustrated that the employee did not know more than I did. They had to check-in with people and then get back to me. I knew much more about insurance and how it worked than the person I spoke to.
- I dislike the tutorial videos - they were not very helpful and felt like a waste of time.
- In the Coverage Report, I would greatly benefit from being able to get the SPECIFIC benefit information for Mental Health services. This is often different from the patient's medical benefits (different copays, coinsurances)
- Have it easier to be able to pick the insurance carrier from the insurance list - it is currently very confusing
- I am certain I am not getting the most out of the software but am frustrated because I don't know how to get more out of it. I don't feel that I can count on Simple Practice team members to help me either.

Susan

Great EHR after set-up and consistently EXCEPTIONAL customer support

Reviewed on 2018/10/14

I found SimplePractice somewhat frustrating in the beginning as I familiarized myself with their software and set up connections with insurance payers. I so desperately wanted SimplePractice to have a customer support phone number I could call at my convenience to answer a variety of questions. However, I have gotten use to their support system via email and love that I have been able to work with the same person with most of my questions. I eventually found value in the email support system as the conversations were tracked and included so I did not have to re-explain the issues. Overall, I'd say that SimplePractice has worked very well for me after the set-up process and I find their customer support department to be very professional and courteous and extremely patient.

Pros

I like the patient portal that allowed me to easily send patients paperwork to complete before their initial sessions, saving me time and money. I also find great value in the patient appointment reminders to cut down on no shows. The EHR is great for customizing my practice from how appointments can be scheduled to designing forms and progress note templates. The program also keeps track of sessions that needs to be billed and which claims were paid. Great features!

Cons

The EHR was a bit difficult to navigate in the beginning. It was hard to remember which links led to which features. I would have preferred major links/buttons to be icons rather than words. Also, being able to electronically submit secondary insurance claims would be a feature that would make SimplePractice even simpler. It would also be great if the patient portal sign-in page could be personalized, as I would like to include a welcome message and list which insurances I accept.

Response from SimplePractice

Susan, thank you for the kind words about our Customer Success team! We're glad to hear that you're getting a great value from your SimplePractice subscription. Thank you for choosing SimplePractice for your private practice.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Tessa
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Software frequently does not work for telehealth and customer service won't address it.

Reviewed on 2021/05/27

Disappointed and at this point thinking I have no choice but to move my practice software and telehealth sessions onto another platform.

Pros

I like the ease of use and the platform interface.

Cons

At least once a month, the telehealth software is down and clients are unable to log into sessions. Other telehealth works fine and it is clearly not the users' fault, but the customer service will refuse to address the problem. The help forums are filled with users complaining about the camera not working for telehealth since the software was updated. The customer service is terrible and will tell you to update your brand new computer rather than admit that their update was flawed. Yesterday it happened for the second time this month, and the entire site was down for 2 hours. Makes us look unprofessional and immensely frustrating to be once again dismissed by the "customer service" team (they call it rare in the same generated response every time it happens, which again is every couple weeks). They should read their own help forums.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Tessa, we sincerely apologize for the Telehealth outage on 5/26! It's never our intention to be dismissive, but there are instances where we need to investigate an issue further before being able to provide an update, or solution. We appreciate the feedback and are making improvements to our communication style around issues that arise unexpectedly. When reaching out to our Customer Success Team regarding Telehealth issues, they may give you general troubleshooting tips at first, but if those don't work, they should escalate your request to a Technical Team member. Our Technical Team can look into your Telehealth call logs and provide you individualized assistance. We also have many customers who've opted out of our Telehealth service, but continue to use our platform for our other practice management features. To disable Telehealth, go to Settings > Subscription Information. Thanks again! - Ruth from SimplePractice

Jennifer

Would recommend

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Overall would recommend.

Overall would recommend.

Pros

Overall great software. User friendly. Easy to customize templates and auto emails and appointment reminders. Adding new clients and insurance is simple. Allows for billing within EMR. Enjoy the FREE appointment reminders, patient portal access, auto generating billing.

Cons

As a insurance and Medicaid private practice this EMR does not offer everything I need. I need to be able to have clients sign treatment plans and there is no customization to the treatment plan. Work around: you have to create a nonbillabke treatment plan code, create an appointment, create an progress note template with a space for sig, save and lock note. Print for patient sit. A lot of work but possible. Additionally, the diagnosis import is great but does not allow you to add specifiers. Therefore if you need one you must omit diagnosis and create a place on your progress note template for this info. It does not import client insurance ID info, which is required on all Medicaid docs. You have to create a spot on template and then leave the note to access this info. And while the templates are easy to customize with a lot of features, moving items into a different order is very time consuming. Other major drawback, it does not allow you to customize the billing administrator privileges. In order to allow billing to access everything they must be marked as clinician which requires significant upcharge.

Response from SimplePractice

Jennifer, thank you for your comprehensive review. We're always listening to our customers to learn what we can do to make SimplePractice even better, and appreciate your valuable feedback. - Gillian from SimplePractice

David
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Price Gouging! RUN AWAY!!!

Reviewed on 2022/02/02

Pros

SimplePractice is simple to use and has a lot of great features, similar to other EHR's.

Cons

As of March 2022, SimplePractice (SP) is changing its fee structure. They now will have a top-tier plan ($99) that includes all of their features that were included at their $69/month plan. The top-tier plan includes advanced features like a video platform, therapist directory, and a very basic website. However, SP decided to move appointment reminders, calendar sync, and online patient scheduling to the top-tier plan. These are features that have always been included in their basic plan, that are basic features with other EHR's. Now, in order to retain these basic features, clinicians are required to pay for the top-tier plan even though they have no interest in the video platform or website. Why should I have to go from paying $69/month to $99/month to keep basic features? SP was purchased by a large company and they are forcing clinicians to choose the top tier plan by putting basic features in that tier. This is just a way to make money without regard for their customers, during a pandemic! There are also some basic features missing like live phone support etc. Simply put, SP is NOT WORTH $99/month and there will be a large exodus of customers due to this change. Stay away.

Alan
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Simplepractice new pricing structure forces all to pay highest level

Reviewed on 2022/02/02

Great until now.

Great until now.

Pros

None.

Cons

The site just announced a new pricing structure that removes important features -- none of which are costly to implement -- from their lower cost plans. In order to have a biller added to your account or have calendar synchronization, one has to buy the top level.

Response from SimplePractice

When changing our pricing, we conducted extensive research on how to charge customers at a rate that was commiserate with the services we provide and the labor it requires. We also conducted research on the necessary features and most utilized functions and segmented that data based on the stage of private practice the customer was in: how long they'd been in private practice, if they were a solo-practitioner, small group, large group practice, client case load etc. The new Essential Plan is very similar to our sunset Professional Plan, but it's meant for a solo-practitioner. We've tailored 3 distinct plans to better fit the stages our customers' private practice journey - including an affordable Starter plan. We added many new, highly requested, features in 2021, and extended options for customer support. We appreciate your feedback as we continue to build our product and introduce more customization in our subscription plans in the future. -Sara