SimplePractice Reviews

4.6/5 (1786 reviews)
Lisa e G.

Does a lot.

Reviewed on 2019/01/25

Good overall. The one other thing I would like to mention is that you can’t get a live help from Tech support in real time. You can “attend” virtual classes, sign up for live classes (which I haven’t done. Time thing) and if you have a question, you can submit it to a chat community (not helpful, not enough docs so they responses are non-relevant) or you submit an email to technical support and they write back. Here’s the catch. You have to respond to their response right away or if you miss the 2; hour window they consider your request “satisfied” and they move in. My suggestion would be to hire more live real time tech support. And if you want to add physicians, consider adding eprescribe and a lab interface. Just my suggestions. There are lots of reasons to not cater to doctors, but if Simple Practice would want to do that, a few small fixes could make this a very usable and more complete package.

Pros

Nice and plain in a lot of ways yet let’s you do these things:
Set up your own intake forms, diagnostic codes, billing forms, scheduling, a secure patient portal so when patients contact you, you can send them a secure link they can use to sign your consent forms, pay you using a credit card which you don’t have to handle, schedule a session, and do a telehealth visit in a secure HIPAA compliant way. There is also a way to do billing so bills can be submitted to an insurance company.

Cons

Simple practice is designed for mental health professionals and non-MD’s mainly, so as a psychiatrist, it does MOST but NOT ALL of the things I need for a telepsych practice. For example, I cannot e-prescribe, order labs or review lab results using simple practice. But that’s okay. They never claimed it could be used for this. So I am still getting off the ground with my own practice and will probably just use some work arounds such as writing paper scripts for now, and this is fine unless I get a patient who needs clozaril, lithium or delante, at which time I will need to get lab ordering and reviewing capabilities from somewhere else. So the thing is this. Simple Practice does a lot of things. For a psychotherapist non-prescriber, it would pretty much do everything you could ever want a platform to do. For a psychiatrist, it hits about 2/3 of the total function domain needed. For internal medicine, family medicine or endocrinology I would definitely recommend doing something else. They make no claims to physician specific and the main reason I picked it is for the telehealth and the billing simplification and the collect payment without touching money feature.

Response from SimplePractice

Lisa, thanks for your positive SimplePractice review. We¿re glad that SimplePractice is working for your telepsyche practice - you can always submit suggestions to our team on how to improve SimplePractice even more at simplepractice.uservoice.com.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Nadirah M.

Now that I experineced it for myself-Telehealth (Therapy) Not as scary and awakard it sounded!

Reviewed on 2018/11/28

First, I am still learning the software, yet from my experience, I believe I will keep it. I am not shopping around for another one. The support is helpful, daily update and reminders that help keep me organized. At some time, I will add the calendar to my website. For now, the software lives up to it name in that it is a simple practice. When I rented office space, I had to be there to meet my client and some would cancel at the last moment. Now, I set the reminders, phone, email, text... and if I client doesn't show, after I have braved the traffic and rushed across town to get to the office, sitting and waiting and wondering if the client will show, I don't feel that I wasted time, gas and frustrated because the client did not call to cancel hours or days before. I really like my online office. I thought it would feel distant and cold...so far, the online face-to-face still feel personal. I also like that the system meet HIPPA and my state requirements.

Pros

I like the ease of scheduling appointments without having to complete lots of training of how to do so. I appreciate the stripe credit card system that is built into the software as this was one concern I had of accepting payments from client. I like the video conferencing and the fact that live training is offered and I actually get to see the people behind the scene as opposed to email. My inquiry to customer support turn around time was a reasonable and issue resolved. I love the fact the I can send a client a paid invoice immediately, after accepting credit card payment over the phone...thank goodness less paperwork. I really love all of the forms clients need to complete are available...ease of writing progress notes, etc...

Cons

I am still learning to use the software and got confused when I accepted payment the first time, and not certain if I needed to accept stripe versus manual credit card. I accepted manual credit card and had to make a correction. Each client recent activity is a running list and it would be nice if all activity were grouped under the client name. For example, when I click the client name, I see all activity that took place versus a running list of the same client name numerous times and activity. I wish that I could change the portal name. It appears once decided on a name, it is a url and locked, no changes afterward.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Nadirah,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. We are so happy to hear that our Telehealth feature is working so well for your practice, and that reminders have helped your clients show up for their appointments on time. With respect to your comments about the Activity logs and your practice URL, we can provide more assistance here. Please reach out to us with an email request by clicking the orange 'Help' button in the bottom left corner of your account, or by following this link: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

We look forward to hearing from you.

- Natasha from SimplePractice

Still learning, but loving it!

Reviewed on 2018/09/17

It is obvious that a great deal of thoughtful consideration has gone into the development of this software. While there elements that I would like to see incorporated as a matter of convenience, there are absolutely no deal breakers here! I do have much to learn, but I feel confident that I made the choice for my private practice. Try the free month ~ be impressed!

Pros

It's only fair to say that I still have many things to learn! I've not experienced the insurance side of things yet, and that's a beast all its own. That said...
I find the online "How To" articles helpful and easy to follow. The videos are also helpful most of the time. I have not attempted to reach a person by phone, however, mostly b/c I've not needed to (yet).

Being cloud based was an absolute must.

Love the intuitive and attractive visual interface!

The Client Portal has been easy to incorporate into the company website, and clients find it easy to use. I like being able to initiate the intake process immediately with a client who requests an appointment.

Super like the reminders that help me keep up with what needs to be completed. It has also been helpful to receive an email of my agenda for the day.

Having the flexibility to modify forms or create my own is awesome! It took me some time to understand how, but I got it.

Cons

I prefer structure when I'm just learning how to navigate new software. It is helpful to me to have "How To" guides in an order that leads me through necessary processes. I found myself wondering if I'd completed everything required in a process, was there a tab I hadn't discovered, etc. Having a check list, an order, some sort of structure to remove the mystery as I acclimated would have been reassuring.

Color coding features would be helpful to differentiate between clinicians, insurance companies, etc.

I find the mobile app to be difficult to navigate. Attempting to schedule clients or see what is available is cumbersome. I've since synced the calendar with Google, and that appears to be working more smoothly.

It would be wonderful if there was a way to connect local SP users. I've had questions come up that a user more seasoned than myself could likely answer in five minutes....versus the hour or more I spent chasing rabbits.

Response from SimplePractice

Thanks so much for your positive review. We have a thriving community of SimplePractice customers - most likely in your local area - on our Community Forum at community.simplepractice.com and in our Facebook community at facebook.com/groups/simplepractice. We're here to help - thanks for choosing SimplePractice.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Lisa V.

Overall, a well-designed and easy-to-use EMR

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

This software keeps me organized, allows me to keep my patient information secure, integrates scheduling/billing/documentation in one place, and offers an app that is well coordinated with the full desktop experience.

Pros

The design of the software is clean and intuitive, not just the portion experienced by clinicians but also the patient/client portal. I found it easy to create my own templates and appreciate the ability to import the prior note to edit it for each session rather than having to start anew each time I meet with someone. Scheduling both by desktop and by app are very easy to use, allowing to set up repeat appointments. I appreciate the ease of generating superbills and invoices, changing charges and correcting them, and the option of manual inputs of payment if you choose not to use the integrated credit card payment system (Stripe).
I really appreciate the option of "privacy mode" so that patient's full names are not displayed on my calendar.
The 30-day trial was very helpful for ensuring that I was getting what I hoped I was and it was nice to be able to try both the essential and the professional features to figure out which plan made more sense for my practice.

Cons

1. I think others have mentioned the irritation of not being able to contact someone directly for customer support. Emailing is fine, it's not a huge deal, but it just creates delays with issues that I think could be worked out quickly with a phone call.
2. As a psychiatrist, it would be helpful if there were ways to prominently post the patient's allergies, medications, etc in a way where you wouldn't have to hunt through your prior notes to find them. However, this software is marketed to behavioral health professionals broadly rather than psychiatrists specifically, so I wouldn't expect it to be so tailored.
3. I would like to be able to customize the mini-website that my patients see in more ways than what's currently available.
4. The rates for Stripe seemed a little steep (at least for a solo practitioner) but it's your only option if you want an integrated credit card system. In the end, I am doing that piece with a different service to avoid the higher rates.

Response from SimplePractice

Lisa, thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful review of SimplePractice. We're glad to hear that you find SimplePractice to be clean and intuitive, and proud to support the work that you do! Did you know you can schedule a one-on-one screensharing session with a Product Specialist at your convenience, any time? We're always standing by to help. I'd also recommend using a Sticky Chart Note to keep information like allergies and medications at the top of the client's chart - just create a Chart Note and set the date to sometime in the future, and it'll stay at the top of the chart! Thanks again for choosing SimplePractice. We're glad you're a part of our community!

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Ariel W.

Satisfied Chiropractor & Acupuncturist

Reviewed on 2018/02/28

Pros

Lots of important pros. 1) Online scheduling and intake, 2) integrated payment processing and auto-pay, 3) cloud based, 4) competitive pricing, 5) very easy to learn, 6) the team is getting faster (slightly) with updates/improvements, 7) works for chiropractic billing now, 8) free online help articles, and 9) free month trial. We looked into so many options, and Simple Practice was clearly the best in our opinion. We're still happy with our choice; the pros outweigh the cons!

Cons

1) Text reminders: you only have a few options of when they go out, and all options are 24+ before the appointment. A text reminder shortly before greatly reduces no-shows, so it's a major feature missing.
2) Confirming appointments: you can't turn off the need to confirm appointments, and it's time consuming to confirm every. single. appointment. We want the option to turn off confirmation, or at least for some appointment types.
3) Email reminders: you have to turn them on for every patient, and it's not quick to get to it.
4) Sales tax: they don't track it, so you have to manually keep track. You shouldn't use this software if you sell products regularly.
5) Customer service: too slow. Not just initial response time, but how many back and forth emails it takes to get an answer. I tried the live q&a and it didn't get me an answer any faster. Chat would be a big improvement.
6) Group practice: overall it works well. The thing that is lacking is the report to help with payroll. It's confusing and needs better instructions/help articles
7) Online scheduling: overall good. The con is cancelling online. A) it's hard to find, so we get more phone calls than we used to. B) we let patients cancel up to 12 hours beforehand, but the software cuts it off 24 hours before, so we again get more calls than before.
8) Color coding: you can't set the background color of appointments. For us, it would be so helpful to make insurance appointments a different color than self-pay.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Ariel - We love hearing from our customers that have shopped around and find SimplePractice the best platform for their needs! It's great to see you're utilizing so many features already. When it comes to your requests for feature adjustments, we regularly take customer requests into consideration to make sure our product meets the needs of all types of business owners. We're created a Product RoadMap to share what we've done lately and what is in the works here if you're interested in checking it out: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap

Thanks for your detailed review!

Jill B.

I have had on-going insurance enrollment and payer reports since I started with Simple Practice.

Reviewed on 2017/11/12

It is simple with respect to face validity. You can navigate around pretty easily without making serious or irreversible mistakes that many of us fear with the technical aspects of EHRs.

Pros

It works relatively well if you have mostly direct pay clients or accept only a couple of insurances. It also works well if you have very few tech problems, your are pretty "techy" and industry knowledgeable to begin with, and you are ok with short answer email responses to any questions you might have.

Cons

There is no one to call. Even if you email asking for a phone call, they won't talk to you. Their customer support consists of sending you video and article links about how to do things. Or emailing you back and forth over the period of weeks or even months. However, if you have an actual, real-time problem, that cannot be fixed by watching a video, and requires someone to actually get on a phone and figure out what is going on- forget it. Your accounts will be hopelessly upside down, which is anything but simple! For example: insurance enrollments or payer reports that require immediate technical support, forget it. They will email you back and forth for months telling you that they submitted to have the problem fixed, as if that fixed your problem. Or they will answer you without addressing the whole problem. If you accept and/or bill multiple insurance companies, keep moving. Simple Practice is not the answer. It's too difficult to move your entire operation to another EHR once you have completely set up with Simple Practice and then you find out months later that there are no "simple" fixes when you have legitimate insurance problems.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Jill - Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to hear you feel like we're not here to help you! That's definitely not the case. While we aren't able to respond immediately to emails and don't currently have phone support, we do our best to get you a personalized response within a few hours. We also have several Live Online Classes to show customers the various features in the platform and how to use them. If you're interested in signing up for any of these, here is the link to do so: http://features.simplepractice.com/classes/

If there's something we haven't helped out with, please don't hesitate to send us a message here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. I'll make sure we help you out. We appreciate your patience and candor, Jill!

5.0/10
William S.

Simple Practice - there is truth in the name

Reviewed on 2017/04/14

I have tested out Simple Practice for our group practice and we plan on transitioning to it. It's rare to find a company so well balanced in its direction. The user interface design is well thought out and makes doing otherwise complex procedures simple and straightforward. The documentation and user support is something you would expect from a much larger and more resourced entity. The product development has been very focused and well planned as features are thoughtfully implemented. Some of their competitors seem to decide which features to develop at random.

Simple Practice first popped on my radar in 2012 and they had a beautiful interface, a simple iphone app, but they couldn't do much other than notes and calendaring. Oh, how things have changed. They now take payment, and even do autopay on weekly clients. They simply and beautifully execute therapy notes, have a client portal, process insurance claims, have appointment reminders, treatment plans, calendar sync, and you can have clients signup and schedule directly through simple practice. You can even push them assessments to fill out to add to their records.

I didn't like how their product shows client credit's and debit's. I will say that it seems like there is a more intuitive way to do this for reconciling accounts. When you first look at it, it will confuse you and I am sure it is something they spend time on with each new customer. This surprises me that they have kept it this way since everything else is so intuitive.

The only area I can't speak to is what their reporting looks like. Theranest has a feature I like in their reporting as it shows you by clinician and referral source, who has sent you the most business the stick rate, and things like this. Personally, I would love to be able to see more granular data to know what each clinician is best with matching intakes with treatment outcomes and being able to see each clinician's number of clients who are active and their insurance to private pay ratios. If I were to extend my wishlist, I would like some limited CRM features as well to help with new client inquiries.

All of that said, Simple Practice is the Tesla of therapist EMR's. They are pioneering the field and they know it. I recommend them to all clinicians.

Pros

Features, product speed of development, user interface design, ease of implementation.

Cons

reporting, cost if you have a group, the only credit card company support is Stripe's API and they have a minimum of per month volume before they will lower their fee's.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi William, we're grateful that you're part of our community! It's great to hear your story of revisiting SimplePractice after we added more features. We're working hard every day to make improvements so that both solo and group practitioners are able to use our product easily and efficiently.

Susan L.

Great EHR after set-up and consistently EXCEPTIONAL customer support

Reviewed on 2018/10/14

I found SimplePractice somewhat frustrating in the beginning as I familiarized myself with their software and set up connections with insurance payers. I so desperately wanted SimplePractice to have a customer support phone number I could call at my convenience to answer a variety of questions. However, I have gotten use to their support system via email and love that I have been able to work with the same person with most of my questions. I eventually found value in the email support system as the conversations were tracked and included so I did not have to re-explain the issues. Overall, I'd say that SimplePractice has worked very well for me after the set-up process and I find their customer support department to be very professional and courteous and extremely patient.

Pros

I like the patient portal that allowed me to easily send patients paperwork to complete before their initial sessions, saving me time and money. I also find great value in the patient appointment reminders to cut down on no shows. The EHR is great for customizing my practice from how appointments can be scheduled to designing forms and progress note templates. The program also keeps track of sessions that needs to be billed and which claims were paid. Great features!

Cons

The EHR was a bit difficult to navigate in the beginning. It was hard to remember which links led to which features. I would have preferred major links/buttons to be icons rather than words. Also, being able to electronically submit secondary insurance claims would be a feature that would make SimplePractice even simpler. It would also be great if the patient portal sign-in page could be personalized, as I would like to include a welcome message and list which insurances I accept.

Response from SimplePractice

Susan, thank you for the kind words about our Customer Success team! We're glad to hear that you're getting a great value from your SimplePractice subscription. Thank you for choosing SimplePractice for your private practice.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Heather L.

Efficient, intuitive, and oh-so-supportive.

Reviewed on 2016/07/13

I will be the first to admit that the administrative side of running a psychtherapy office isn't what nourishes me most - it's the relationships with my clients and colleagues that sustain and inspire me. That said, I realize that the administrative aspect of my business is central to building a successful practice so that I can continue to do the work that I love. Finding a practice management system that is effective and intuitive, and built for mental health therapists, has been a game changer. I knew I would find the right system, eventually. SimplePractice fit the bill.

What came as a surprise is the quality of the relationships that I'd build with the customer support professionals at SimplePractice. When getting started, I reached out to customer support about various aspects related to enrollment and billing of Medicare. I had a unique-ish circumstance with my enrollment due to address changes. I had spent a significant amount of time on the phone with Medicare and got as far as I could with them. I reached out to SimplePractice support by email (there's no phone number!) and admittedly, I thought I'd never hear back - that feeling of sending an email out into the universe to float around forever. I had not even registered for SP, yet. Well, I had a response within 1 day. The responder was encouraging, informed, concise and kind (remember I'm all about the relationship). In some ways, I couldn't believe how simple he made it for me, so I clarified with him 2 times! In each rresponse, he remained professional, encouraging, and helpful. It was a dream come true. A technology for therapists that thrive in relationships. A responder that spoke a technology language that I understood. Someone that wanted me to be successful in building my management system. In this age of nameless, faceless interactions, I really felt like "Will" was there to not just answer a question, but to help me be successful in my business.

Pros

Responsive customer support.
Appointment reminders .
Client portal for intake paperwork and billing.
Nice visual interface.
Intuitive.
Built in credit card processing.
Intake paperwork forms that are built for therapy offices.

Cons

Nothing I've identified, yet.

Response from SimplePractice

Heather, this made our day! We love everything you said. We exist because we want to help our customers focus on the work they love and not have to worry about the busy work. We're here for you! Thanks for joining our growing SimplePractice community!

Cathy L.

Tried a few, decided to keep SimplePractice

Reviewed on 2018/03/03

I can now easily log my notes without taking up space in my office (I converted from paper files to SP); I can input my notes much quicker; text reminders for clients!! No more no-call-no-shows!!

Pros

SP is easy to use and quite intuitive. The customer service agents are simply amazing - always very kind and unlike many from other companies, they actually take the time to read and write personalized replies instead of sending out a cookie-cutter template. I've asked more questions than I care to remember and every single time, I have received a precise answer with clear, detailed explanations. That, in my opinion, makes it all worth it. It has pretty much all the features I need without going over-the-top with bells and whistles, adding unnecessary bloat like another major service provider.

Cons

There are only two things which come to mind, and they aren't major cons. The first is the inability to fully personalize text messages in another language - we can modify the text reminder; however, the date that is sent with the message remains in english (so in a french message, the date still appears in english - day of the week, month, date, time). Not a major issue, but it would be great to offer an option to convert the whole message into a given language. Second is the ability to add an add-on service for an appointment. For example, I offer animal-assisted therapy to some of my clients. I would love to be able to track how many hours my animals are putting in; as of now, there is no way to add and add-on service, I have to actually enter my co-therapist as a client and "book" him an appointment for his hours to appear somewhere in my logs. Again, not a major issue, it would simply be nice to be able to add additional services to a session.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Cathy,

I'm so happy to hear SimplePractice has felt intuitive and that your communication with customer service has been clear and precise. If you're interested, feel free to check out our product roadmap blog to keep up with what we're working on: https://tinyurl.com/y8hklj7b.

Best,
Niki

Katie Z.

AWESOME investment for my private practice!

Reviewed on 2018/04/14

Pros

I like the Ehr features, how everything is available on my phone or computer. When I worked at an agency, I used Greenway, another electronic system, so this is simply so perfect for my private practice needs - organization, client info, convenience, customizable email templates/forms, all electronic paperwork. I appreciate the Simple Practice team behind the software! When I had an issue, we scheduled screen sharing to work through it and the team is very prompt with email replies. I love that everything is EASY and convenient, so I don't need any paperwork. I also like how stripe is connected and recurrent auto pay is an option. I am private pay, so it's easy to edit the cost of a client's session depending if they are on a sliding scale. Also, there is a "book online" feature, so I have added this to my website and clients are using it! One of my client's mom's loves booking sessions at 11pm and planning for the week ahead, so the feedback is super positive. Love it!

Cons

The app and the safari browse are different. Some things aren't in the app, so I always just keep the browser open. One thing I'd like to improve: there is only room for one person's phone number to get the automated text and voicemail reminders. I see kids and some teens, so I'd like mom, dad, and teen client to each get a text and voicemail reminder about the appointment. It would be great to have two three people's phone numbers to have auto texting reminders sent to them.

Response from SimplePractice

Katie, thank you so much for the kind words - we're glad to hear that SimplePractice is making your life as a private practitioner easy. You'll be happy to hear that improvements to our mobile app functionality, and improvements to management of groups and families in the Client Portal, are both at the top of our Product Roadmap. You can keep up with our Roadmap here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap

We're proud to support the transformative work that you do!
- Gillian at SimplePractice

Will L.

Overall Helpful Software), as well as

Reviewed on 2018/09/28

I'm surprised to love SimplePractice so much! It's been a really great way to take control of and streamline multiple facets of my practice.

Pros

I switched from paper files to SimplePractice, and as someone who doesn't always enjoy the tech version of things, I'm a surprised fan of SimplePractice. I enjoy the ease of scheduling and the 2-way sync with my Google Calendar, the paperless intake process (which I finally started using a few months in and wish I had been using it from the beginning), and being able to track my income and completed notes. Customer service has also been very friendly thus far.

Cons

There are very limited demographic questions for clients in the intake process, which are unfortunately not editable by the clinician. I have the option to create own intake paperwork, but have to inform clients to ignore the demographic section and just fill out the more affirming open-ended questions in my intake form. Credit card integration through Stripe is great in theory, but I have found much cheaper rates (with stored cards and HIPAA compliance) through Ivy Pay. I also wish that the "Insights" section showed estimated income for all upcoming months with scheduled appointments, not just the current month. It's an incredibly helpful feature and would be great to use to plan our farther ahead.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Will, we're so glad to hear that you love SimplePractice and find it to be helpful. We're glad that the paperless intake process is saving you time. Thanks for your candor - we're always looking for ways to improve SimplePractice. Welcome to our community.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Melissa K.

Life changing, no exaggeration!

Reviewed on 2014/12/04

There are many programs out there designed to help keep therapists organized, but this is hands down the best one. For years I have actually avoided buying any of the similar products, because after doing a trial, I found it just easier to use my own system. Other products to me have seemed clunky, confusing, or outdated. As my practice grows, however, keeping track of things on my own had really become too cumbersome. So thank goodness for Simple Practice, it came into my life at just the right moment! It is streamlined, intuitive, and user-friendly. Whenever I have encountered a question, there are quick and easy ways to get the question answered. The site includes a whole blog that has thoughtful answers, written in plain-language. Or if you have a question you can easily email and a person will get right back to you with an answer. I imagine you can also call, though I haven't needed to do that since everything has gone really smoothly!

Here are the things I really like:
-Clients like it. They like the text or email reminder messages and they like the fact that I can store their credit card info, so no more forgetting co-pays of having to fumble with the wallet or the credit card reader. I just bill all my co-pays at the end of the day, and I'm all set. It's also saved time and money by not having to chase people for missed co-pays.
-Easy to enter new patient info, or use the client portal so the patient's can self-enter basic data, and sign forms ahead of time
-Helps me remember which notes are done or not
-Keeps track of my schedule with the calendar feature that is synced up with the also super user-friendly Simple Practice app
-I can scan in hand-written notes right into the patient's chart so everything is paperless

I honestly can't think of any negatives or ways they could improve this product. I haven't started billing insurance companies via Simple Practice yet, so I can't speak to that process. It unfortunately takes awhile for Simple Practice to link with insurance, so if they could speed that up, it would be great, I'm just not sure there is much they can do about that since it's partially up to the insurance company.

Other than that, I would summarize by saying that Simple Practice is saving me time, money and I feel much less stressed because I know everything is organized.

Response from SimplePractice

Wow! Thanks so much for that thorough and enthusiastic review!!!!

We're so glad to have you as part of our community and are looking forward to being your partner for a long time.

We're working hard to always improve SimplePractice and hope you let us know what we can do to make our product better and better.

Thanks again,

Howard

Dani M.

Simple Practice Simplified My Practice

Reviewed on 2014/10/15

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

I have used and tested a variety of EHRs and appreciate the simplicity of Simple Practice. There are no unnecessary frills and it serves its documentation and practice management purposes well.

The user interface is clean, visually appealing, and easy to navigate. Features such as automated client appointment reminders, daily schedule emails, and reminders about incomplete documents and client balances are incredibly helpful...especially for a solo practitioner without costly administrative staff. The company appears to be highly responsive to user suggestions and regularly adds new features. The dashboard reports give me real time access to key business intelligence such as monthly income comparisons and projected income for the next month based on scheduled appointments. It's rare to find an EHR that offers all of these features at an affordable price. Clinicians and organizations usually end up cobbling together non-integrated solutions that just don't play well together in the end. Simple Practice simply works.

Perhaps most importantly, the price is fair. There are no exorbitant setup fees. By purchasing a software as a service (SaaS) subscription, you're not paying for servers or clunky software that's outdated by the time you install it. You don't need an IT person to install, maintain, debug, or upgrade anything. If you change your mind, you're free to cancel your monthly subscription without incurring contract penalties. It is highly intuitive so you can skip the usual wordy product documentation, confusing webinars, or expensive onsite trainings. The trial period is more than adequate to become familiar and determine if it's right for you.

If you are looking for a highly customizable system, this is not likely the best solution for you. With ongoing development, this might become less of an issue. You are currently limited to pre-defined templates and forms. In our heavily litigious landscape, we tend to go overboard on documentation or end up collecting data because we can. In some ways, I think Simple Practice is saving us from ourselves by keeping it "as simple as possible, but not simpler."

If you're in the market for a web-based EHR that's accessible from anywhere, affordable, and easy to use, I recommend exploring Simple Practice.

Response from SimplePractice

Wow! Thanks for the amazing review Dani.

We are so happy to know that our product is so helpful to you. We are working hard to keep improving SimplePractice and hope you will let us know if you have any ideas or suggestions for us.

Thanks again,

Howard

Ashleigh F.

More options than my previous EMR.

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/01/29

I am saving time and money with Simple Practice so far from my previous EMR system, which of course is huge with you run your own practice - big or small. I also like their referral program, and step-by-step instruction on how to get started with Simple Practice.

Pros

I love the ability to create my own online forms for clients to fill out and sign so I'm not wasting paper and saving time. I also love that there is an app associated with the account for me to easily and securely message clients, create appointments, and look up information in their accounts. I also love that I can bill insurance, run credit cards and do pretty much everything I need to from this app/program.

Cons

When entering diagnoses, it does not let you create rule outs, or add specifiers to diagnoses. I'm hoping this is something that will change soon. Additionally, I understand an upgrade is being added so that parents who are divorced/separated can have their own access to the client (minor's) account without having to create a duplicate of the client or making more work for the therapist. Other minor things would be nice, such as being able to adding multiple session notes to one session without having to scan and upload it in; as well as customizing no-show fees, and being able to add pictures through the app that can be attached to individual sessions.

Response from SimplePractice

Ashleigh, thanks so much for your positive review. We're glad to hear that you appreciate SimplePractice's features for running Heal, Play, Love more effectively. You can always keep an eye on what's next for SimplePractice on our Product Roadmap here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Dara H.

Just the EHR I've been looking for

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/01/11

Pros

I've put off using an EHR far too long, fearing that it would be too difficult to change the way I had already been doing things for over ten years in my practice. I gave the free trial a go, and was pleasantly surprised by how intuitive it was to use. I am excited to now have the ease of sending paperwork to clients electronically, as well as the benefit on the environment from all of the trees I am saving by doing so. I also needed to find a HIPPA compliant teletherapy option and found Simple Practice's portal very easy to use, as have my clients.

Cons

I work with many persons who are gender questioning, transgender, and nonbinary. There is a lot of language in the template paperwork that I needed to change so as to help them feel seen and included. I think in one part of the form, which cannot be changed, are gender options that are so limiting that I made specific mention of it in my greetings message to the client, so they know that this is not an oversight on my part but is on the part of the creators of the software. I've had colleagues mention that they have been trying for years to get Simple Practice to change this and sadly we have yet to see this inclusive step being taken.

Response from SimplePractice

Dara, we¿re proud to support the Bohemian Sanctuary, and glad that SimplePractice is the solution you¿ve been looking for. Thanks for your feedback regarding the gender options on our Demographic Form. Currently, these are limited to what insurances will accept to ensure that you get paid. However, we¿re always working on making SimplePractice even better for all of the diverse practices that leverage our platform.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Brandon S.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but if you dedicate the time it's worth it.

Reviewed on 2018/07/16

EHR for private practice

Pros

Everything you need to run a practice is available and very well done. Once you learn your way around it becomes easier to navigate. There are many different options and lots of information in the help section if you need help. It's streamlined for complete (100%) EHR functionality. Smooth integrations for payment. I love the HIPAA compliant messaging in the patient portal and the calendar scheduling options for patients to see your schedule and choose a time without needing to call the office for an appointment. The awesome feature of video sessions without the need to use another company or software.

Cons

I find the navigational structure very awkward and not user friendly. It's kind of frustrating to figure out where things are because things aren't in a logical order. For better ease of use I would recommend that everything is clearly delineated into one menu structure rather than submenus and tab menus. For example: one could easily assume that client documents could be found in the left "Documents" menu link, but unfortunately that link is only for practitioner documents (uploading a copy of license, etc.). To find client documents you have to remember that you need to click "My Account" in the upper right corner, then the "Settings" submenu, then on the left side the "Client Portal" and then find the tab menu "Shared Documents and Files". It just a very strange link menu system.

Response from SimplePractice

Dr. Santan, thank you so much for your review - we're glad to hear that SimplePractice contains everything that you need to run your practice, and we appreciate your thoughtful feedback on how to make SimplePractice even better. It's great to hear that you love our new Telehealth feature as well. Thank you for doing the work that you do, and for choosing SimplePractice!

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Morgan T.

Simple and Intuitive to Use Compared to Other Options Out There

Reviewed on 2019/01/28

SimplePractice has overall been very easy to use and has made my practice very efficient. It does take a little investment of time to learn and get used to and I am still on the learning curve but overall I find it really intuitive and easy to use. I also really like the look and feel of the interface. It feels clean and professional.

Pros

I found SimplePractice to be far easier and more intuitive to use than some of the other options out there (TherapyNotes and TheraNest were two others that I tried and did not like so much). I also like that SimplePractice uses Stripe to process payments as it made accepting payments streamlined and easy--I do not have to sign up for a third party payment processor and pay an additional monthly fee like you do with some of the other options out there.

Cons

I still have issues with getting my SimplePractice calendar to show up on my android device. Though it is synced with my Google Calendar for some reason I Cannot get this to translate over to my mobile device. This really bothers me as I don't like that I have to check two calendars when I am trying to quickly check my availability. (I realize this may be due to something I am overlooking on my part, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.)

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for your through review of our platform. Glad to hear that you're finding SimplePractice to be intuitive. If you need more help troubleshooting your Google calendar sync, feel free to write into us so we can work with you.

- Natasha from SimplePractice

Ellen G.

New to SimplePractice; Very pleased and would highly recommend

Reviewed on 2018/08/31

My experience has been exceptional and I will recommend this software hands-down to anyone who is starting their own practice!

Pros

SimplePractice has named its business well. I truly feel that it has made my journey as a new private practice owner so simple. I have appreciated the ease of sending clients my paperwork through the client portal feature. I also love the integration of Stripe for credit card processing; with AutoPay I don't have to lift a finger to get paid each evening. Superbills, invoices, and statements are very easy to generate on the spot for clients. The scheduling component also has a clean look. I also really like the automated text reminders to clients. In my first month of business, I've zero no-shows or late cancels. In what could have been a very stressful transition to becoming a new private practice owner, SimplePractice truly eased my mind.

Cons

In the future I would like a better option for scheduling family counseling for siblings. Right now the software has great features for individual and couples sessions, but not to add family members (at the moment I have to treat family members like a couple and make sure my coding is accurate on their statements).

Additionally, creating some of my own intake forms took a while with the way that is featured in the software but I do appreciate that I have the ability to even create my own forms.

Response from SimplePractice

Ellen, we're so pleased to hear that you find SimplePractice to be a good fit for your practice. Congratulations on a full month without no-shows or late cancels! We're working hard on introducing new features that will make it easier for you to schedule groups and families, and features that will make working with couples and groups even easier. Thanks for choosing SimplePractice - we're glad to have you as part of our community.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Jenna F.

Fantastic! Totally worth every penny

Reviewed on 2016/07/07

My experience has been very positive as this software is catered to meet the needs of my private practice as a counselor. It addresses many of the components of running a practice that therapists find daunting. Just for the sheer support in these areas, this software system is worth it.

Pros

The customer support / help support is a clear stand out. No need to feel intimidated about learning because they offer layers of support- classes, video webinars, articles, daily q & a and I suppose I could call- haven't had the need. Another stand out for me is how it is designed with a private practice therapist in mind, which is fantastic not to have a lot of 'guess work' or having to adjust something else to work for me. Their professionalism in upholding our ethical and legal standards puts me at ease and would be reason alone to give simple practice a look. Also...NO PAPER! That's just fantastic.

Cons

There is a learning curve (depending on your comfort level with technology, it could be larger than others). That's the biggest con. Fortunately there is a one month free trial (they don't even ask for your credit card information during that time) and during that month there are plenty of supports to help teach you the system and have time to practice with it. There are a few more minor adjustments that can't be edited because of the system, but no big deal at all. It's fantastic.

Response from SimplePractice

So happy to hear this Jenna! We're really glad that SimplePractice works for you. We're here to make things simple!

Brooke I.

Simple Practice is simple to use, a wonderful way to go paperless from the beginning

Reviewed on 2018/10/16

See above

Pros

I recently opened my private practice, and decided that right from the beginning, I would like to have a paperless system for record keeping. Simple Practice came highly recommended from several trusted sources, so I decided to give it a try. I really appreciate that they offer a 30 day free trial, which I just completed (and upgraded to a paid subscription). I am not an organized paperwork person by nature, and I appreciate that Simple Practice keeps all my clients records safely stored in a secure location, where I can access it anytime from anywhere. The client portal is amazing, and helps legitimize my business to clients, as they are able to complete paperwork easily through the portal before our intake appointment. This also saves valuable time during that first appointment, so we don't have to waste time filling out forms and doing busy work, and we are able to jump right in to the issues that have brought them into therapy. I know my clients appreciate this, especially as they are self paid. I love that my calendar is emailed to me each day, I get reminders when progress notes need to be entered, invoicing sessions is a breeze, and sending clients invoices is as easy as the click of a button. Being able to store credit card information, and process payments through Stripe is a great feature that has helped me spend my time doing less paperwork and billing and be able to focus more on my clients and the clinical interventions needed when they come to see me.

Cons

I am still learning to navigate the software. There are so many different forms, and so many different sections, sometimes I cannot find things that I know I saw a few days ago. I think this will just take some time for me to get more familiar with, but this has been the most difficult part of the software for me to adjust to.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Brooke, thanks so much for your review. We're glad SimplePractice is helping you stay organized and get paid! Welcome to our community - we're proud to support the work that you do.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Joeleen W.

I wish I didnt wait so long before giving simple practice a try.

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

Making my private practice streamline and saving me time and energy so I can use that energy elsewhere.

Pros

Simple practice makes form creation so user-friendly, even myself who isn't very tech savvy figured it out. The more I use simple practice the more I uncover quick easy ways to get my needs met. When I am unable to figure something out the help team is so quick and responsive and points me in the right direction so I don't have to spend all of my time searching for the answers. The support I receive from simple practice has been the best experience and I am so thankful to have them. When you are first learning the process they have numerous videos and scheduled classes to get you started which are incredibly helpful. I have taken a look at other EHR systems and they were confusing and were not geared towards therapists, simple practice gave me all the forms necessary for my practice and then i tailored them to fit my individual practice needs.

Cons

There are a few parts of simple practice that cannot be customized that I want to customize, although they are constantly making changes based off of clinicians feedback so this isn't a huge concern of mine.

Response from SimplePractice

Joeleen, we wish you hadn't waited so long either, but now we're finally together! It's great to hear that SimplePractice is user-friendly for you even though you don't consider yourself tech savvy. We work hard to make sure SimplePractice is the complete platform for everything your private practice needs, and it sounds like you're happy with what we've done so far. We're always working to improve - you can see what's next for SimplePractice on our Product Roadmap here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap

Thank you for choosing SimplePractice - we're proud to support the work that you do!

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Pamela H.

Simple Practice is aptly named!

Reviewed on 2018/08/23

Overall, I am impressed and very satisfied with our Simple Practice subscription!

Pros

We have moved from an accounting software, Google Calendar and a person to do the medical billing with Simple Practice. I love the relative ease of the software and the fact that I can have everything in one place. There is great support and documentation for self-help. We are a practice with only one practitioner but we are growing in leaps and bounds! Simple Practice is making our growth so much easier!

Cons

There are some small issues that I have experienced. The biggest issue was the sight being down one morning and not being able to access the calendar or any of our client information. We are still using Google Calendar as well since we are less than a month in for our transition so I was able to see the information. There was no way to contact Simple Practice by phone and the entire site was down. I had no way of knowing how long the downtime would be. I would have liked to have been able to get an update since we were seeing clients.

The only other issues are minor conveniences. Color coding on the calendar for different types of clients would be helpful. A full screen version of the calendar rather than the nested calendar would be nice. Customized reports would also be helpful. I would also love a support option that allowed for East Coast offices when we open.

Response from SimplePractice

Pamela, we're so glad that you chose SimplePractice as your all-in-one practice management solution! Thanks for your detailed review and for your feedback on our service. We're proud of our 99.99% uptime, and grateful for your patience during a brief interruption in service recently. We're continually working to make SimplePractice even better, with feedback from members of our amazing community! Thank you for choosing us.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Lauren settle, C.

Simple Practice

Reviewed on 2018/09/24

I am happy I made the switch to Simple Practice!

Pros

I really like that it's all-inclusive. Once you get the hang of how the system works it seems as if it really does have all you need in one place.
I also like that you can send automatic reminders, run credit cards automatically, etc. I believe this will continue to save me lots of time in the long-run. Which is what I love the most about it! That allows me to spend more time with my kiddo once I am home instead of worrying about doing admin stuff.

Cons

1. As a potential customer, I had multiple questions and it was really hard to find how to get in touch with someone. It frustrated me to the point where I almost just didn't sign up. After I signed up though they've seemed really willing to help if you had questions.
2. There are a few things I don't love - like as I've scheduled a telehealth client it doesn't show up on the calendar as my in-person sessions do. I also wish the calendar was a little more flexible with booking times, rather than choosing on the hour or half hour. I haven't allowed clients to book online yet themselves because I can have more flexibility when I do it in person.
3. I'd love to see if include a feature for bookkeeping, rather than having to also purchase something like QuickBooks.

Response from SimplePractice

Lauren, it's great to see your positive review. We're glad that SimplePractice is saving you time that you can then spend with your family. Did you know you can reach us any time through the red Help bubble in your account? If you're still having trouble seeing your Telehealth appointments on the calendar, try checking the drop-down Office Location menu at the top of the calendar to ensure you're viewing all locations. We're here to help - please don't hesitate to reach out if we can assist with anything at all.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Brent B.

I am moving my group practice over from TherapyAppointment.

Reviewed on 2018/02/27

Pros

It is somewhat intuitive and it looks good, welcoming. I also like having the app for my phone. We like that you can schedule clients for repeating sessions two and three weeks between sessions regularly. The client portal is needed. We really like being able to do our intake packets online, and that we can change them up so easily. Love how when clients fill these out they are seamlessly put into cleint files and this shows in the client info.

Cons

The couple set up is terrible. And we are a couples counseling group practice. I can't even get each partner's phone number or email without going into two separate files. If I link them - find a way for me to contact both of them by seeing both of their contact info together. Also when i look thru my client list, it far too difficult to find my couples. If i mark them as couples and link them, let them show as couples in the client list. Many couples aren't married and do not have the same last name. It's just too hard to find them and to send both partners text messages or emails. I don't like texting or emailing individual partners - I need to send info to both at the same time. Very difficult to do presently.

By far the worst part of all of our experiences (8 of us) has been customer service. We need to talk or chat online to people that can help, not wait a full day or two to hear back. It's archaic. At least open up live chat asap!!!

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Brent - Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We're glad you have enjoyed using the Client Portal to send paperless intake documents!

When it comes to your concern about turnaround time on replies, we offer several Live Classes Monday through Friday that you are always welcome to come to as a way to ask questions live: http://features.simplepractice.com/classes/.