SimplePractice Reviews

Alicia
Alicia

One Place for all of Your Electronic Medical Record Needs

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

I am a pediatric occupational therapist and have been very happy with Simple Practice. I would recommend it to anyone. I have also used this software as a client and it's very client-friendly. The passwordless login makes it easy to login, I like the appointment reminders by text and email. I have used the telehealth feature as a client, but not as a therapist. It doesn't work well for evaluations because of the way documents are formatted, so I write those and my plan of care forms/goals on a separate document outside of SP.

Pros

You can bill insurance with the click of a button. I love being able to make my own forms so documentation is more efficient, and the paperless intake process is smooth. Much of it is very customizable to the needs of your practice. The company is very receptive to feedback from users and is constantly upgrading and adding features.

Cons

There was a learning curve to figure it out and I'm still learning about all of the reports they can run. I don't like the online scheduling feature very much, but that's partly because I'm used to using Acuity Scheduling which has many more features. I used the online scheduler briefly and wasn't thrilled that only new clients could use the online booking feature from the website; current clients have to login to the portal to schedule. I decided to just stick with Acuity because it allows me to get information from clients at the time of their booking and I can use it to schedule groups, which is a big part of my practice.

WebPT, HelloNote and Fusion

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

It has everything in one place.
Jen

Great get started product

Reviewed on 2023/06/16

I recommend this product to anyone starting off with their business. It is a good resource for a thriving business as well. But when starting off everything is so overwhelming, yet Simple Practice makes it smooth and stress free.

Pros

I love how it has all that I needed to get my coaching business started. Easy set up of appointments and billing options. Very easy. Very helpful when feeling overwhelmed with starting a business up and running. I have gone from a brand new business to a thriving coaching business with the help and ease of Simple practice. It links into my apple calendar and my google calendar. It sends a reminder and link to my client. The billing system is smooth.

Cons

I have had a few glitches with the reminder app. Sometimes the extra features are not translated from the phone app to the overall system.

Paperbell and Acuity Scheduling

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Ease of use, includes reminders and syncs with calendar, and can use on the fly with my phone or in my office on my computer.
Trevor
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

I would strongly encourage to not use this product

Reviewed on 2022/05/06

I have researched at least 15 different platforms and have settled on SP as it is too difficult at this point to move my practice as I don't have the time. I would not recommend this product to anyone and find the manner in which the SP staff interacts when questioned to be problematic and defensive.

Pros

The EHR is relatively easy to use if you keep things simple. Additionally, the billing aspects of the software appears to work 1/2 the time.

Cons

The list is almost endless:
-NO customer service unless you email them and pray that they will return the email with an answer that does not even address the question.
-The video platform is maybe 20% functional. It is inconsistent and spotty. Most of the time, I have to have patients use FaceTime due to glitches.
-The video platform often goes down and SP does not alert you to the outage until you reach out and then they tell you the next day that it went down but is now back up.
-Did I mention the customer service is worse than the DMV?
-The latest price increase required that one pay 20.00 more per month to allow the calendar to sync with google (which was an option in the previous build) which then forces the therapist to keep two calendars.
-Templates are horribly basic and very complicated/impossible to modify

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Trevor - Thank you for your feedback. Aside from offering email support, we do also offer live chat and phone support. Both of these options will allow you to connect with our Customer Success Team immediately and all three options allow you to continue a conversation with our team until you receive an answer to your question. Additionally, our team can assist with any Telehealth issues that you may be experiencing and will determine the source and resolution of the issue within your Help Request. To contact our Customer Success Team via phone or chat, click on the ? icon in your account > Ask Questions > No > Contact Support > choose either phone or chat. -Sara

Muhammad
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Simple Practice, an EHR system for you!

Reviewed on 2024/03/25

Pleasant experience and suggest that everyone should try it atleast once, this might be the system for you!

Pros

This EHR system can help you streamline your workflow so that you are relaxed and in control while improving access of care.

Cons

I would have liked more customisable interfaces.

Nicolais
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Great software - could use some simple features

Reviewed on 2019/11/01

Good. Some key features that I wish were present with billing graphics and information, which I mentioned in the cons section. If these upgrades/changes could be made, I would rate SimplePractice as excellent.

Pros

I love the editable notes/forms and the online access! Client portal is also more streamlined and user friendly compared to competitors. Reports are nice and helpful for the most part. Free text and voice are nice (however you pay the difference with the higher cost of claim submission compared to competitors).

Cons

The billing tabs are difficult to understand as they don’t seem to be graphically easy to understand where each invoice is being applied. Looking quickly at the billing tab, it looks as if I have twice as many invoices than I actually need and some invoices, invoice for a zero balance (or even before an insurance payment is made). This makes the billing harder to understand than some of SimplePractice’s top competitors. Also, I wish the reports would show overall totals of figures (I.e. insurance payments owed, client balances owed, etc.). These features allow me to look quickly at client balances and billing and get an idea of where billing sits very quickly, and again, is a feature with competitors. Being a one man office right now, theses features save valuable time and seem like easy fixes to the system. I also wish Simple Practice had phone support - just for the fact that time is valuable and I don’t want to wait to resolve an question.

TherapyNotes, LLC and TheraNest

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Client Portal, online payments, editable forms that can be e-signed.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

It was a hard decision over TherapyNotes. TherapyNotes has billing features and layout that is easier to understand. I went with SimplePractice because the client portal and online for,s are more accessible to clients and staff. Heads up though, in regard to features and accessibility, TherapyNotes is catching up to SimplePractice.
Braden

Excellent software, simple design

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Overall it is the best software solution that I was able to find and I tested quite a few. The only other one that came close at a comparable price was Therapy Appointment but I found Simple Practice to be overall better. I do like it and really hope that they constantly improve the software to include the things I mentioned above. If they do then I do not see myself leaving Simple Practice for a long time.

Pros

For me the best feature of this software is the online integration such as the client portal, the syncing with my google calendar, the video appointment capability, online scheduling, online bill payment, texting feature, automatic appointment reminders and easy online access to my EHR. I also like the simple modern design - this is what initially attracted me to simple practice. I have had good experience with customer service. Sometimes chat has been available but other times I've had to email them (but I wish chat was always available).

Cons

I want more customization capability. Such as customizing what the client portal looks like (graphic design of the portal is lacking). Also would like to better customize the reminder and welcome emails, such as by being able to use rich text formatting. I would like to be able to customize discreet data fields in the EHR, such as being able to edit my demographics form to include things I want to track. And also be able to have discreet custom data fields such as to keep track of PHQ-9 scores or other biometric data I want to be able to track over time.

I would also like to have faxing built into the software because I work closely with medical providers and this is their primary way of communicating with other providers.

Also wish they would offer a different credit card processing vendor because Stripe is one of the most expensive ones I compared.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Overall most robust software with the best visual design at a reasonable cost.

Response from SimplePractice

Thank you for your positive review, Braden. We're glad that SimplePractice is the solution you chose for your practice. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Heather

Not Bad, but I miss Epic

Reviewed on 2019/09/08

So far, I've only created templates, added clients, and input insurance information. I'm moving on to billing next week so I'll know more then.

I would add that I really appreciated the half-hour in-person tutorial (via zoom) I received near the end of my trial period.

Pros

There are many things I like about this EMR: the format is pleasing and (mostly) intuitive, the side bars are handy, and the trove of FAQ's and videos is astounding and often very helpful.

Cons

The templates limit the user to certain forms and give fairly small boxes for narrative responses. I used to use EPIC and I miss being able to populate an open page with my template and add/adjust it as desired, like a Word document.

I also wish the calendar allowed for more detail--like, a different color for intakes vs follow-up appointments would be really nice. Or, there could be a code before the client's name in the calendar slot--like, 'I - Jane Doe' and 'F - John Doe'.

I also wish that the end time of the appts was more clear. I like to schedule a 15 min break between my appts and the "Weekly" view is definitely better than the "monthly" view for this, but still not as clear as I would like.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Moved from a clinic to private practice

EpicCare

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Two reasons: 1) I found a review that compared Simple Practice, Therapy Notes and one other small business EMR and Simple Practice compared favorably, and 2) A friend was using Simple Practice and I trust her recommendation.

Response from SimplePractice

Heather, thank you for your positive review. We're glad that you've found a lot to like about SimplePractice. We're always working on improving SimplePractice to streamline your workflows even further - thank you for your suggestions of what you'd like to see in SimplePractice in the future. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Geoff

Seamless transition, works exactly as described

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

Pros

- Seamless transition from prior electronic medical record (EMR) to SimplePractice. Just great.
- Everything works, and loads fast
- UI is clear, intuitive
- Features work really well, including the videoconferencing add-on. Just really great!

Bottom line: It works exactly as described, was easy to set up, and really is a joy to use. Seriously.

Cons

I have not found something I didn’t like yet. I have been using it for a few days since I set it up this week, and everything is working really well! No problems.

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

Functionality was inconsistent, user interface was slow and difficult at times

WeCounsel

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

After talking to colleagues, I narrowed my decision down to TherapyNotes or SimplePractice. Both were reported to work well by those who used them. I chose SimplePractice because it seemed to be designed for individual clinicians rather than primarily for group practices (keeping it “Simple”) without skimping on necessarily functionality. Additionally, SimplePractice offers robust document management (clients can sign documents paper-free), and integrated secure videoconferencing. Perfect!

Response from SimplePractice

Geoff, welcome to the SimplePractice Community. We're glad that your transition to SimplePractice was seamless, and that you enjoy using our all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Victoria

Best Scope of Functionality for Price Out There

Reviewed on 2019/08/05

Pros

I love all that I can do with Simple Practice. I was looking for a service that can house my client documents for my in-person private practice, teletherapy practice, and coaching business all in one. It makes the onboarding/intake process for new clients so streamlined and easy. It's so nice to have one less thing to worry about as a new small business owner. Customer support has been excellent. It feels great knowing I'll have help if I need it for something so essential to my business.

Cons

Sometimes it's not that simple to use! But I think it speaks more to the breadth of options available than to the software itself. There's so much I could do with it, at times it is overwhelming.

TherapyNotes, LLC, Doxy.me and nTreatment

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

I wanted a service that had both telehealth and an EHR system. I didn't want to switch services later.

nTreatment

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

The great things I've heard about Simple Practice, having experience with it in the group practice I work for and knowing its ease of use.

Response from SimplePractice

Victoria, we appreciate your glowing review. Our goal is to support practices like yours so they can grow and thrive. Thanks for choosing SimplePractice as your all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Joy

Comprehensive Software for my Solo Practice

Reviewed on 2021/05/18

I tried a number of different software platforms, and SimplePractice was the most comprehensive and easy to use.

Pros

The Calendar is easy to use and the Client Portal is very convenient for clients to complete paperwork.

Cons

The Video Telehealth option did not include key features and was expensive and nagivation of creating forms was difficult

My Clients Plus

Reasons for Choosing SimplePractice

SimplePractice was much easier to use and better for a solo practice.

CarePaths EHR

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

SimplePractice was much easier to use and better for a solo practice.
Lauren
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

It has potential, but needs significant functionality improvements

Reviewed on 2022/03/21

I stuck with this software over a year and kept being hopeful that design improvements would be possible, and it just hasn't happened.

One of the most frustrating things about Simple Practice is when they mark things "Solved" even when their advice is to "suggest product improvement idea in the user forum," - I understand this is probably an automated process, but it is frustrating.

Pros

It is easy to bill and receive payments through Stripe Integration. Telehealth has become more reliable.

I appreciate the ability to customize forms. The treatment planner with Wiley isn't useful as it creates a lot of unnecessary steps.

They now allow client signature and provider signature, which is a great improvement.

Cons

The inability to create a solution to the POS coding changes makes this software a poor choice for any provider that takes insurance. The current Simple Practice guidance is to create a calendar for each POS as a workaround.

The software itself rates low on accessibility for visual presentation - the text is all blue, and there is no way to change color scheme, font size, font spacing.

They communicate poorly when they have service outages, and do not give practices any credit to their account when this occurs. This has occasionally improved, but still lacks severely in implementation. There is no way to put in a specific IT ticket, so you often speak with a "Customer Success representative" who may not understand the situation.

Inability to customize the format/presentation of client portal login screen, even if you pay for the highest tier plan.

Calendar sync is only available on the highest tier plan.

Inability to track data on an ongoing basis (weight, rating scales for depression/anxiety etc), and poor functionality for patient records - anything uploaded is a document with no way to organize items.

No ability to add a macro (or similar functionality) into the treatment note to drop down a portion of the treatment plan - currently you need to copy and paste objectives.

The custom forms often look bulky, and could use design improvements. It also does not appear possible to have the custom forms display with your business color scheme and/or logo

TherapyNotes, LLC, CounSol.com and TheraNest

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

The billing features at the time were great.
Luis

Expensive but (almost) worth it

Reviewed on 2022/03/08

SimplePractice is very good software for mental health. However, all the options and features lead to complexity. This isn't necessarily bad design - it's simply that there are so many things the software does that there is a lot to learn. Even if you're good with software, implementing the whole package in the condensed time frame required for starting up means that there are times when you'd love to talk with a support rep. It's not that it isn't physically possible to speak to a live person about using the software. It's that by the time you actually hear from a live person, you've either solved it on your own through hours of your own labor, found a work-around, or decided not to use the feature you needed help with.

Pros

Robust and configurable. Every feature I can think of, that a mental health practitioner might need, is part of this product. Every part of your practice is configurable, from intake documents to discharge documents. Credit card processing? Yes. Online scheduling? Check (it even produces code for your website, so you can have people book appointments directly from your website). Revenue summaries? Yes. Client attendance reporting? Yes, that too. This review isn't the place to make a comprehensive list of features - but it is the the place to make the point that the feature list is comprehensive.

Cons

SimplePractice offers different pricing tiers, so you can use as much of the software as you're willing to pay for. But, IMnsHO, what's the point of choosing the most robust software if you're not going to use the high-end (expensive) option? So, I pay (as of this writing) $99/mo to use the software.

You'd think that princely sum would enable the occasional conversation with a support team member. It may, but I haven't been able to see how to do it. Have a look at the SimplePractice website and see if you can find a number to call for support. I could not.

To be fair, they have a large number of videos which clearly explain how to use the software. They're very good, especially if you know which video you need to watch. Bottom line is when you're working a bunch of hours, stressed by carrying a full case load, trying to implement this very comprehensive software, you could use a friendly hand on the phone with set-up. At least, I could.

Instead, I got (best case) 48 hour turnaround to emailed questions. For $99/mo, I feel like I should be able to call them now and again.

Amy

from paper to technology

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Overall I am very pleased with this product and the more comfortable I get with it the more time it will save me.

Pros

the features I appreciate most about the software are the auto billing and automatic superbill generation. these are tasks that have no return on my time investment and so anything to automatize or regain my time is a good financial investment for me. I also appreciate the ease of adding my clinical note directly to the appointment, the way it links couples together and the ability to share and upload documents with clients. the customer service has been stellar, from answering questions to providing a free 1:1 consult. They have also responded to our request of adjusting the demographic form to be more inclusive which was a major need for my practice.

Cons

I don't like that I have to add a whole separate client entity for couples and that they have to sign their own consents. Creating your own intake questionnaire is extremely tedious if its comprehensive and so I'm yet to try and get my current form onto the system because it would take me hours.

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Recommendations from colleagues and the experience of the free trial. The ease of which I was able to navigate the interface made me want to continue trying things.

Response from SimplePractice

Amy, thank you for your positive review - we're glad that automation of your practice workflows has helped you save time and get a higher return on your time investment. We're also proud to continue iterating on SimplePractice to introduce new, better features to more effectively support your practice and clients. - Gillian from SimplePractice

Darleena
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

WISH it would of been what I wanted and expected. Sadly disappointed.

Reviewed on 2022/12/06

I believe they grew to fast and forgot about providing customer service to there providers. I had to leave because the EHR softeware was useful but no answers to questions or needs what not acceptable form of business for me.

Pros

I liked that they are HIPPA COMPLIANT and Affordable.

Cons

Unfortunately, the ability to reach anyone is very challenging. This inability to talk with a real person cost me financially because I was not able to verify insurance information or even find out where my payment went. In some cases I was not able to get paid for the services I provided. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT>

TheraNest

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Had to give it a try because other colleagues were exploring it to see whether it would be a good fit.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Darleena,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Just to clarify, we do offer multiple ways to receive live support. You can either call our Customer Success Team team, or connect with them via live chat. Additionally, if would like to set up a live video call with a team member, you can create a Help Request and request a call. All of these options can be reached by clicking on the ? icon in your account > Ask Questions > No > Contact Support > Send an Email Request. -Sara

Charna

Buggy system

Reviewed on 2016/07/03

I am a brand new user and apparently made the mistake of trying to set things up over a holiday weekend when SP team is away. That's not their fault. Since I haven't been using it for long I can't comment on all the features, but i will say I'm considering asking for my money back after spending two days adding my client info and getting repeatedly frustrated.
I pretty much just wanted software that would organize my clients info ( dx codes, different fees) so making receipts would be easier. And I was considering online scheduling. I'm not sure this is the best solution. I've been in practice for 14 years and this is my first attempt at using software for note taking. I should also say my growing edge is being patient with technology. I wish i'd just paid someone to set it up for me because I don't find it fun to figure it out.
Once it's all set up maybe I'll love it, but the problem is they sent me this option to review two days after I started data entry.
I'll get more specific in the pro and con section.

Pros

Adding clients in calendar seems relatively easy. Since i have sliding scale i like that i can personalize the amount they pay and keep it clear and organized.
Don't know how it will work, but I am excited to be able to have a credit card payment linked so I don't have to ask clients for their card each time.

Cons

There are a lot of buggy things where you have to add what the system wants vs being able to customize info.
While Adding new clients the option to add an email or address didn't automatically show up, and since I wanted to have all that info for receipts I tried to figure out how to do this. Under editting client info each time I tried to add their email and home address when I pressed save it would automatically change the name and phone number to my name and number. No idea why this would happen? Perhaps a special bonus mindfulness test? This process took twice as long because of this. Eventuslly i figured out if I just added an email and pressed save , then added address and saved again it seemed to be ok. Also cutting and pasting info didn't work. I kept being told it was an invalid email. It doesn't like if there are any extra spaces.
Then adding cpt... I have questions, since I charge more how if will all come together on the invoices/receipts.
I just wanted to upload my forms I created and I did not find this easy. Have yet to figure it out.
Unnerved to even touch the billing / invoicing but that's why i bought the software so I'm waiting to get SP support since my friend who uses it said he's inexperienced with this feature.
Even submitting this review it insisted on me adding an organizational name. What if their isn't one?

Response from SimplePractice

Charna, I'm so sorry you had this experience with us right off the bat. We're here to make things simple, not complicated. I checked in our our email conversations with you and it looks like we've worked on getting things working for you together! If you're still having any trouble, let us know by filling out a request: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new We're here to help!

Erin
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

A step in the right direction for our group practice.

Reviewed on 2019/11/27

So far, very excited, very pleased with your customer service and overall happy that we made the jump from three separate software over to one. Please see the comments above, in regard to your calendar which -- is the main criticism for your software. I would be happy to follow up on my ideas via email.

The overall cost for simple practice technically isn't saving us any money, but it is saving lots of time.

Pros

I love how FAST and transparent the claims billing and processing experience is. It takes just moments to file and send information out to insurance companies. Whereas we used to have to manually work back and forth from various accounts when using our previous EHR program.

I love the reporting features. We can cut out having to manually track information in excel sheets because Simple Practice makes it available to us at any time. This helps us to track claims, understand our financials and to keep on target with our clients' copays and claims.

The dropdown menus featured, to pull up information on a specific clinician, and pull up their practice information, clients and more is SUCH a great feature for managing our group practice.

Did I mention, that sending claims is easier than ever? - this ease alone is what has me and my team jumping for joy.

Cons

I don't like your calendar. This is where things seem to go awry for myself and our clinicians. I think that you guys would benefit by updating and creating a much more user-friendly experience with more control and detail from the calendar.

Before making the change to Simple Practice, our office utilized and paid for Acuity Scheduling. While we totally understand that things would naturally be different from one program to the other, we were, and continue to be baffled and very confused with your calendar programming. Especially using it as a group practice.

The calendar is very unorganized, there really is no detail and it technically takes us 2-3 minutes longer to schedule new clients because you do not offer a drop-down box or mini-calendar to select from in order to see available times. I also cannot stand, the way that when you click in an availble slot in the day view, it defaults to the very minute -- 60 minute sessions need to begin on the hour, and when we are selecting the date, we are having to correct it from " 5:15 pm" to "5:00 pm".

Managing therapists schedules is also a pain. I would like to see an overhaul to your calendar that features new availability designation, new appointment selection, and one that works based on the times and hours that each therapist states for their own schedule. I want to see more control int he calendar.

End request: Create a much better, user friendly calendar!

Claire
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Simplifies EVERYTHING

Reviewed on 2021/01/12

Overall, it's been great! I was reluctant at first to pay what seemed like a lot of money at the time but they offer a world of information, tools, and resources to help with your business. It's a brilliant idea that is, for the most part, very well-executed.

Pros

SP is great for having everything you need to run a practice in one place. I have an app on my phone that I can use to quickly check my schedule, send reminders to clients and cancel, change, or add appointments. They have a good "reports" option so that you can see outstanding invoices, insurance claims, etc. plus a number of other categories. I really love how easy SP makes it to submit insurance claims. I don't want to do that by hand nor do I want to hire someone to do it for me so I really appreciate that. I like that clients can request appointments and that all of their info is in one place. SP was very quick to respond to COVID and I appreciate the HIPAA compliant telehealth platform they created during the pandemic at no additional charge. They have extensive training videos but I am mostly self-taught as that's how I learn best. They also offer pretty good CEU classes for not much money about a variety of topics. And, if you're like me and find it hard to sit for the entire class at once, they will email you reminders that you have unfinished classes which is always helpful.

Cons

It is very difficult to actually speak to customer service. I spend a LOT of time typing in questions and then wading through what others have also asked about and the answers they got. Real time waster since we all word the issues differently so you get many irrelevant answers to try to parse. Half the time I can't remember how to get someone to actually chat with me - when they do it seems to work fine but can also be cumbersome depending on what the issue is.

Debbie
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Overall

Reviewed on 2021/09/23

Simplepractice is an all-in-one HIPAA-compliant program that has been life-changing regarding the management of my practice. It has allowed me significantly more time to treat patients and less time with administrative tasks such as generating paper claims and statements. Initially, there was an incredible learning curve when my previous practice management program did not cooperate in assisting with the transfer of a large amount of data. Simplepractice allowed me the extra time needed beyond the 30-day trial period to manually enter the data. I am so thankful to know about Simplepractice.

Pros

-Completely HIPAA compliant
-I now prepare and submit claims within minutes and know almost immediately of any errors or need for resubmission
-Electronic claims submissions result in the quick return of payments
-Collections are minimal with the ability to process payments with the internal credit card company
-Charting progress notes is standardized and easy with a "load previous note" function
-The compatibility with my phone and tablet is wonderful, especially with the dictation to text function
-I can develop my own forms specific to the needs of my specialty
-Patients easily access the friendly portal and quickly complete and return office forms
-Support through chat, email, shared audio/visual screen, and now phone is timely with knowledgeable and friendly representatives

Cons

-The program only allows for one supervisor per intern and is not amenable to a satisfactory work around
-All therapist's calendars are visible to all team members
-Lacks functional use of invoices as most know them
-Cannot send group emails or notify the entire caseload of information to be shared by the practice

Unwanted new features to justify significant price increase.

Reviewed on 2022/02/19

My experience was poor overall. I initially loved them and recommended to others but I will be leaving simple practice for another EMR after this sudden and senseless price hike as I'm sure this is a pattern they will continue. They were very dismissive of my concerns and let me know that there would be no refunds. I did not feel I could trust them to make decisions in the interest of the consumer. As a product developer myself I typically send out surveys and conduct focus groups on new products. I don't think they did this judging by the pile of negative reviews on trust pilot within the last few weeks. A price increase is fine but a price increase above 10% of the base cost in a time of crisis is price gouging.

Pros

I liked the original pricing plans. They were reasonable and had the basic features my practice required (online booking widget, documentation, and appointment reminders).

Cons

Simple Practice gave little notice when they hiked the price by 50% for some basic features. They stated that the new features justified the price hike however we don't use the new features, didn't request them, don't need them, and don't want them. What we require is the plan we chose upon choosing this EMR. An added website isn't useful when you already have a website and don't need two. Telepractice isn't useful when their system is inferior to zoom and you already have a system in place.

Power Diary, EmbarkEMR, IntakeQ and Square Invoices

Reasons for Switching to SimplePractice

Used it in the past and liked it

MEREDITH
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

I wish Simple Practice did more, was easier to use, and the customer service was better

Reviewed on 2019/11/07

Barely satisfied. I ran out of room in the Con's box.

Barely satisfied. I ran out of room in the Con's box.

Pros

As a working mom of two young children, I was looking for something to save me some time. Once I figured it out on my own (which took too long in my opinion because of unhelpful video tutorials and unhelpful customer service), it now has saved me some time. I like how easy it is to chart progress notes. It has saved time and desktop space. Once I figured out how to submit claims, I appreciated not having to manually enter the information myself every time I have submitted in the past. These were two main reasons I wanted to switch.

Cons

I wish it could do more and was easier to use. Here are some features that would be great additions to Simple Practice:

- Have the ability to be Excel where I can track office expenses (i.e., office supplies, tax deductions)
- You MUST make customer service easier to get ahold of and more knowledgeable. Email back-and-forth communication is a frustrating customer service option.
- Have your customer service people be more professional. When I video-ed for my free 30-minute video at the beginning of using the software, the person was late, not professionally dressed, and looked like they were at a beach house. I was also frustrated that the employee did not know more than I did. They had to check-in with people and then get back to me. I knew much more about insurance and how it worked than the person I spoke to.
- I dislike the tutorial videos - they were not very helpful and felt like a waste of time.
- In the Coverage Report, I would greatly benefit from being able to get the SPECIFIC benefit information for Mental Health services. This is often different from the patient's medical benefits (different copays, coinsurances)
- Have it easier to be able to pick the insurance carrier from the insurance list - it is currently very confusing
- I am certain I am not getting the most out of the software but am frustrated because I don't know how to get more out of it. I don't feel that I can count on Simple Practice team members to help me either.

Susan

Great EHR after set-up and consistently EXCEPTIONAL customer support

Reviewed on 2018/10/14

I found SimplePractice somewhat frustrating in the beginning as I familiarized myself with their software and set up connections with insurance payers. I so desperately wanted SimplePractice to have a customer support phone number I could call at my convenience to answer a variety of questions. However, I have gotten use to their support system via email and love that I have been able to work with the same person with most of my questions. I eventually found value in the email support system as the conversations were tracked and included so I did not have to re-explain the issues. Overall, I'd say that SimplePractice has worked very well for me after the set-up process and I find their customer support department to be very professional and courteous and extremely patient.

Pros

I like the patient portal that allowed me to easily send patients paperwork to complete before their initial sessions, saving me time and money. I also find great value in the patient appointment reminders to cut down on no shows. The EHR is great for customizing my practice from how appointments can be scheduled to designing forms and progress note templates. The program also keeps track of sessions that needs to be billed and which claims were paid. Great features!

Cons

The EHR was a bit difficult to navigate in the beginning. It was hard to remember which links led to which features. I would have preferred major links/buttons to be icons rather than words. Also, being able to electronically submit secondary insurance claims would be a feature that would make SimplePractice even simpler. It would also be great if the patient portal sign-in page could be personalized, as I would like to include a welcome message and list which insurances I accept.

Response from SimplePractice

Susan, thank you for the kind words about our Customer Success team! We're glad to hear that you're getting a great value from your SimplePractice subscription. Thank you for choosing SimplePractice for your private practice.

- Gillian from SimplePractice

Tessa
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Software frequently does not work for telehealth and customer service won't address it.

Reviewed on 2021/05/27

Disappointed and at this point thinking I have no choice but to move my practice software and telehealth sessions onto another platform.

Pros

I like the ease of use and the platform interface.

Cons

At least once a month, the telehealth software is down and clients are unable to log into sessions. Other telehealth works fine and it is clearly not the users' fault, but the customer service will refuse to address the problem. The help forums are filled with users complaining about the camera not working for telehealth since the software was updated. The customer service is terrible and will tell you to update your brand new computer rather than admit that their update was flawed. Yesterday it happened for the second time this month, and the entire site was down for 2 hours. Makes us look unprofessional and immensely frustrating to be once again dismissed by the "customer service" team (they call it rare in the same generated response every time it happens, which again is every couple weeks). They should read their own help forums.

Response from SimplePractice

Hi Tessa, we sincerely apologize for the Telehealth outage on 5/26! It's never our intention to be dismissive, but there are instances where we need to investigate an issue further before being able to provide an update, or solution. We appreciate the feedback and are making improvements to our communication style around issues that arise unexpectedly. When reaching out to our Customer Success Team regarding Telehealth issues, they may give you general troubleshooting tips at first, but if those don't work, they should escalate your request to a Technical Team member. Our Technical Team can look into your Telehealth call logs and provide you individualized assistance. We also have many customers who've opted out of our Telehealth service, but continue to use our platform for our other practice management features. To disable Telehealth, go to Settings > Subscription Information. Thanks again! - Ruth from SimplePractice

Jennifer

Would recommend

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Overall would recommend.

Overall would recommend.

Pros

Overall great software. User friendly. Easy to customize templates and auto emails and appointment reminders. Adding new clients and insurance is simple. Allows for billing within EMR. Enjoy the FREE appointment reminders, patient portal access, auto generating billing.

Cons

As a insurance and Medicaid private practice this EMR does not offer everything I need. I need to be able to have clients sign treatment plans and there is no customization to the treatment plan. Work around: you have to create a nonbillabke treatment plan code, create an appointment, create an progress note template with a space for sig, save and lock note. Print for patient sit. A lot of work but possible. Additionally, the diagnosis import is great but does not allow you to add specifiers. Therefore if you need one you must omit diagnosis and create a place on your progress note template for this info. It does not import client insurance ID info, which is required on all Medicaid docs. You have to create a spot on template and then leave the note to access this info. And while the templates are easy to customize with a lot of features, moving items into a different order is very time consuming. Other major drawback, it does not allow you to customize the billing administrator privileges. In order to allow billing to access everything they must be marked as clinician which requires significant upcharge.

Response from SimplePractice

Jennifer, thank you for your comprehensive review. We're always listening to our customers to learn what we can do to make SimplePractice even better, and appreciate your valuable feedback. - Gillian from SimplePractice

David
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Price Gouging! RUN AWAY!!!

Reviewed on 2022/02/02

Pros

SimplePractice is simple to use and has a lot of great features, similar to other EHR's.

Cons

As of March 2022, SimplePractice (SP) is changing its fee structure. They now will have a top-tier plan ($99) that includes all of their features that were included at their $69/month plan. The top-tier plan includes advanced features like a video platform, therapist directory, and a very basic website. However, SP decided to move appointment reminders, calendar sync, and online patient scheduling to the top-tier plan. These are features that have always been included in their basic plan, that are basic features with other EHR's. Now, in order to retain these basic features, clinicians are required to pay for the top-tier plan even though they have no interest in the video platform or website. Why should I have to go from paying $69/month to $99/month to keep basic features? SP was purchased by a large company and they are forcing clinicians to choose the top tier plan by putting basic features in that tier. This is just a way to make money without regard for their customers, during a pandemic! There are also some basic features missing like live phone support etc. Simply put, SP is NOT WORTH $99/month and there will be a large exodus of customers due to this change. Stay away.

Alan
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Simplepractice new pricing structure forces all to pay highest level

Reviewed on 2022/02/02

Great until now.

Great until now.

Pros

None.

Cons

The site just announced a new pricing structure that removes important features -- none of which are costly to implement -- from their lower cost plans. In order to have a biller added to your account or have calendar synchronization, one has to buy the top level.

Response from SimplePractice

When changing our pricing, we conducted extensive research on how to charge customers at a rate that was commiserate with the services we provide and the labor it requires. We also conducted research on the necessary features and most utilized functions and segmented that data based on the stage of private practice the customer was in: how long they'd been in private practice, if they were a solo-practitioner, small group, large group practice, client case load etc. The new Essential Plan is very similar to our sunset Professional Plan, but it's meant for a solo-practitioner. We've tailored 3 distinct plans to better fit the stages our customers' private practice journey - including an affordable Starter plan. We added many new, highly requested, features in 2021, and extended options for customer support. We appreciate your feedback as we continue to build our product and introduce more customization in our subscription plans in the future. -Sara