Realm

Community-focused online church management system

Deborah B.

Enjoying using Realm

Reviewed on 2019/09/05

Our admin staff is really enjoying using Realm. We're always excited when we discover something new. Makes our jobs easier, better, and more interesting. We are looking forward to launching Realm Connect to our entire church.

Pros

Ability to add notes to profiles
Excellent reports capabilities
Pathways!!
Groups functionality
Communication capabilities

Cons

Don't like that so many things come up on my tasks for pathways in particular. If I am a step leader it comes up on my tasks even if I'm not responsible for that step.

Loseke L.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Good product and always improving

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

Tech support is very helpful if you just need basic help in making something work. They don't seem to know the "big picture" to make suggestions or improvements on what you are asking. However their developers are very accessible, so I like that I can reach someone else with a question or when I need guidance on setting up something.

Pros

It is very user-friendly and easy to train new employees on it.
Being a new product, they are constantly updating and improving on the features.
It was developed from years of software experience, so it is very relevant in everyday church use.

Cons

Several of the newer releases address needs we've been asking for, but they are done in a somewhat complicated way. It addresses the need, but not as directly and simply as I would like.
I feel like they need to take a step back from some new features and refine and improve what they currently offer.

Joshua H.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Tremendous organizational tool! A bit lacking in some desired features and user-friendliness.

Reviewed on 2018/03/08

Pros

Realm has been our only experience with CHMS and it has been well worth every penny. As a small church of about 200, we know there's so much more that this software is capable of doing that we simply do not have a need for at present. We love the organization Realm has given internally to our church staff and volunteers. The ability to track giving (both regular offering and pledge funds) through Realm is very sound and ensures accuracy in our financial record keeping. It also makes creating and sending year end giving statements a breeze! This software seemingly has no ceiling in its ability to query any information we want to gather from our people (as long as we have imputed the information when adding profiles). We can then quickly generate a report from that information that is easily shareable. Creating groups is also a great feature that has helped us, internally, better understand who is doing what and has subsequently helped us to be more intentional and effective in our communication. Routine tasks that we use Realm for on a weekly/daily basis include: recording giving, finding pertinent information about our people, generating reports/labels, adding profiles of our people and assigning them to groups, and communicating via Realm's email feature with various groups in our church.

Cons

The calendar is not as functional as we had hoped and does not allow for integration with Google Calendars. This has led to our avoiding any use of Realm's calendar. We have also not made use of the Events feature in Realm as there is no public-facing side of Events Registration (that we have found) that could tie in with our church website. The interface is not very intuitive/user-friendly and has held us back from opening up the software for use by more volunteers to handle tasks such as Check-in and Pathway's. This has also prevented us from allowing group leaders to manage their own groups' members, record attendance, coordinate events or activities, or to communicate directly with one another. The online giving feature does not currently allow for any embed code to make for a more seamless online giving experience.

Robin N.

REALM: user friendly software with exceptional customer support!

Reviewed on 2019/11/05

I highly recommend the investment of time and finances to get the full benefit of the software by getting the training needed! I wish we had done so when we got it. I feel we would be so much further along with the benefits of the software instead of still struggling to search through helps and webinars to find how to do something simple.

Pros

I love the ease of using the software. Everything is easy to navigate and it manages people and contributions very easily. They are always adding improvements which is a plus. I know that there is so much more to this software but we haven't got there yet. At the time that we transitioned from ACS on demand to REALM we were not able to get the training needed to transition more smoothly and regret so much now that we didn't just wait until we could afford to actually get the one on one training that is so needed in order to really benefit from ALL that REALM has to offer and to expedite using it more effectively quicker. As they say, every software is useless, if those using it are not trained to use it! Love how online giving posts directly to the members statement and is very user friendly.

Cons

Can't complain much since I don't feel like I have had the training I need to properly use it to its full potential. The complaints I might have are probably not a software problem but lack of training problem...I have just been winging it and limping along for the most part but the things that I have learned to use have been pretty awesome.

Gavin J.

An excellent tool to keep information and coordinate topics and events with your church

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

I love being able to keep our members together on one place, look them up, and send them messages. It's easy to keep everything going on at the church together. I use it for events, for pathways, and to send messages to people. I was in charge of children's ministry until recently and the check-in was great!

Pros

- Messages and Topics are available as push notifications from the app
- Huge improvements from it's predecessor program, The City
- For larger churches, easy searches focusing on specific members or parameters
- Giving to a church is easy
- The Kids Check-In is initiative and easy to pick up for parents
- Easy to create events that require registration and payment

Cons

- There is a learning curve for the average user
- There is a time lag between messages sent via laptop/desktop and the app
- The larger the church, and the more you use Realm, you will need to dedicate a significant amount of time to the software to keep it humming.

Brandon V.

Realm is a new and growing software and works great for every area of our ministry.

Reviewed on 2017/09/07

Pros

I love the integration between all different areas such as financials, attendance, and groups. I also am a huge fan of the app that allows me to quickly search for and contact church members. Reports pull easily and there are a ton of customization options throughout the various areas.

Cons

There are a couple features such as people being able to sign up for and see events without an account that are still missing. There are also times that setting up an event or pulling a report can be confusing at first, but their team is awesome at responding quickly and helping you figure out what you need to do.

Debra N.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Mostly good. Love the idea.

Reviewed on 2018/02/13

Pros

The admin side is pretty easy to use once set up and our staff likes it. The pictures are helpful to new staff members who may not recognize everyone yet.

Cons

I don't think the app was ready to launch. It has created multiple communications problems. The newsfeed is very confusing to our folks - they don't get the point. Some people who get email notification of new newsfeed posts tend to answer them - and others are upset that they keep getting the replies (some comments not appropriate for everyone to see).

Misty F.

Great Software for Church Membership

Reviewed on 2019/01/24

Switched from using a membership database software that we had been using for many years. The improved ease and functionality we found once we switched to Realm was a breath of fresh air!!

Pros

Entering and editing member information was very easy and user friendly. Entering contributions could be fully automated with the right equipment (i.e., check scanner, etc.)

Cons

It can be a bit difficult to download reports at times. Additionally, the company is constantly updating the software. This is great because it's always being improved....but sometimes things will get moved around or will change in appearance, so it can take a few days to get used to the changes and find everything again.

Matthew S.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Wonderful for a small church

Reviewed on 2018/10/19

We needed a way to manage membership and do it from the cloud for multiple staff in different locations and on the road

Pros

This is really intuitive and easy to use. Love having access from any internet connected computer. Also, the app is helpful. The ability to create your own data fields and customize others is great to tailor it your needs. Custom created reports are done easily!

Cons

The ability to add new info fields and set answer for all users at once would be great.

Louis P.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Best Solution (and value) for Church Administrative Software

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

Realm provides us with one place to track biographical information, engagement in our community, pledging, as well as information on our vendors, tools to generate reports and harvest data; all in one intuitive platform that I can access equally well from my desktop or my cell phone.

Pros

Realm is simple, intuitive, and powerful

Cons

. . . . nothing. I cannot think of anything about Realm or Realm customer service that I would change.

Becky W.

User friendly, wonderful customer service, and it works for all aspects of the church

Reviewed on 2018/06/14

Pros

With the app and the fact that it is cloud based, you can access/work from anywhere. Also, members can update their own information. We use the online giving, and it will automatically post contributions to the members statement.

Cons

The fact that when you change a members information on the admin side and it does not reflect that change on the accounting side.

Chris M.

Realm Makes Things Easy

Reviewed on 2016/12/30

The realm has helped our leadership team navigate the church planting process. Planting churches isn't easy, but Realm has made it a lot easier. We've been able to communicate with each other and keep focused as we moved from our planting stage to our public ministry phase.

Pros

Easy to use. Mobile accessibility. Convenient and cost effective.

Cons

New features are always being added which are making an already powerful product better.

Amjad S.

Good option for Church management and Community building

Reviewed on 2019/08/17

It has been a good experience so far. Helped us manage the church much better than before.

Pros

One window church management tool that brings all aspects of church life together -- well almost all.

Cons

Sometimes confusing for users when it comes to privacy management and notifications.

Bill J.

Very user friendly an customer support is top notch.

Reviewed on 2018/02/21

Pros

Ease of Use; Cust. Support; Not just a church office software, but a church community software. ; Best feature is the continual improvement of the software based on comments from users.

Cons

Connect App is unstable. The registration process too hard for some of our members. Software fails to recognize if user is already registered and results in duplicate users.

Susan K.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Realm has worked well for us for more than 5 years.

Reviewed on 2018/07/18

Nice printouts, accurate recordkeeping.

Pros

Realm helps us keep track of people and their offerings in an accurate manner. I use it for entering offerings and printing annual contribution reports. I also especially like the customer support that comes with the software: always helpful and gracious.

Cons

If there is anything I don't like about the software, it's that there is more software than we need. It's set up for some kind of megachurch with child care check-ins, group management, etc, and those are not functions we use.

Norma H.

Some features hard to find if haven't been used in a while. Staff mostly friendly &...

Reviewed on 2018/01/31

Pros

It saves me so much time, and it is generally easy to use. With the exception of one person (female) who didn't seem to want to be working the help line and told me to do something very complicated that I knew was not correct, everyone has been very helpful.

Cons

1)There are no written directions that I can access for things I haven't done in a while. For example - the yearly statements I generate for taxes. I only do those in January. 2) I also would like to be able to remove names from the general list when a person dies or moves away. From what I've been told, there is no way to do this. They must be moved onto some other list via a complicated system.

Jenn P.

Realm is a great user interface product

Reviewed on 2017/07/31

Pros

Realm is great for reporting and really knowing what our congregation is involved in. I query down to exactly what I need to help my pastors focus on various paths for teaching or other things.

Cons

The accounting platform especially for multi campus is not where we need it to be. We have many different groups that look at it from a finance team to the ministry coordinator. Each one needs to see a different level of financial information. This is not currently available.

Martha L.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Amazing Software for Church record keeping!

Reviewed on 2018/08/08

Support Staff is amazing to assist you with any questions, concerns or problems you may encounter.

Pros

There is not enough room to address what I love most about this soft ware!

Cons

I wish the reports had more options and easier to create maybe it is just the administrator (myself) that needs more training. :)

Linda B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

I was hesitate to go to Realm, but now I love it.

Reviewed on 2018/01/31

Pros

I like the ease of entering data and the financial data. It is very user friendly. The ability to make corrections if needed.

Cons

I wish it would let me print the elder assigned to each family in the directory. It does not allow for that now.

Carol H.

Small membership church (<100) was using paper records up until 2 yrs ago when switched to...

Reviewed on 2018/02/08

Pros

Very easy to use; like that it's web-based, so no software to install or own, and so everyone sees the same information

Cons

Too many ways to do the same thing, which is sometimes a good thing and sometimes a bad thing; nothing else come to mind

Alex H.

Glitchy, unrefined, and lacking major Groups Functionality.

Reviewed on 2017/09/07

Cross-church communication, mobile messaging, church management and admin.

Pros

User interface is clean, crisp and easy enough to use. Our Church congregation enjoys using it and adopted it fairly quickly.

Cons

This Church Management Software feels like a Beta-version, and you can tell that it hasn't been tested. It is unrefined, and glitchy, with navigation being confusing at times and illogical. Development teams are not helpful ("Sure, we'll add that to the suggestion box."), and there are some major functionality issues - specifically with their Group Search tools. We've had to manage to separate systems to accommodate the lack of Groups functionality with Realm: an entirely separate Wordpress site with plugins, as well as GroupVitals software. It's a shame that this wasn't more thought-out. I would advise that potential buyers avoid ACS entirely, until they refine the actual software to meet their many "promises." Our transition from the City to Realm was everything but "seamless," caused massive confusion for the end-user, and is negatively affecting online giving (which is about 78% adoption for us.)

Overall, Realm has lots of potential, with ACS staff offering tons of promises, but as of right now the software itself has not delivered. Our staff seriously debated between Realm and CCB, and thus far it feels like we may have made the wrong choice.

Jerry G.

Very positive experience using and converting to Realm. Much more user friendly.

Reviewed on 2017/07/31

Pros

Easy to use and very intuitive. The conversion and implementation went very smooth. Weekly updates are great and working with developers is a plus.

Cons

Accounting part is not quite there yet. There are still a few bugs that are not fixed yet and should be. The biggest one is the keyboard does not come up for self check in on a registration kiosk.

Carol S.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

too little for too much money

Reviewed on 2021/04/01

See above. It is too expensive for what you get. It's difficult for our members to understand so they don't use it.

Pros

We already have it and can more or less work with it.

Cons

the pricing is way out of line for what you get. Other church management softwares include texting with not extra cost, and cost about $60 less a month. There are so many things that should be integrated but aren't. A very big disappointment.

Shannon E.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Easy to use for tracking your membership!

Reviewed on 2017/06/27

Ease of sharing responsibilities with other staff and team leaders.

Pros

The Realm software is intuitive to use and always improving. I love that I can login and work from home anytime.

Cons

The reports functions are somewhat confusing at times and not enough detail to choose to include. I think this will improve with use and time.

Tammy S.

Realm is AWESOME!

Reviewed on 2016/07/13

I was a little weary about switching over to Realm...but I am so glad I did! The change-over was painless and well worth it. Our staff has throughly enjoyed using this program.

Pros

User friendly. Great pre-defined reports and dashboard reports. Easy access to information at any time and any place.

Cons

Some reports still a little improvement.