BestNotes

Cloud based electronic health records solution for clinics

Debbbie P.

Best notes in Review

Reviewed on 2021/03/17

Overall Best notes has worked well for our company. It has a lot of information that I don't use, that is why they customize it for you.

Pros

With the mental health industry that I am in we need to have complete records that are hippa compliant. Best notes complies with everything I need to have safe and secure records,

Cons

Once a client assessment is put in best notes it will duplicate name and certain things about the client each time you enter a new note, you wont need to enter again.
If you want to change any of the paperwork to make it your own they will change and update to your liking.

Michelle D.

You Get What You Pay For

Reviewed on 2019/06/05

I really wanted to love BestNotes but I regretted my decision straight away. Having the trial was useless because the system is cumbersome but I thought it was just me. Thus stuck with in site of my concern, hoping things would get easier/better but that never happened. Lesson learned for selecting them based on a non-clinician referral who clearly didn't know any better.

BestNotes reps acknowledge that little has changed with the platform in the past 15 years (since its inception) and it shows. They insist a new product is underway although they have no information on when it will be released. Think this said to merely pacify customers. I assume they gain and keep some customers due to the low price but using the software is like stepping into a time warp. I'd rather pay more money for a modern, user friendly system that can be used across device and is truly web based rather than a low price for a grossly outdated system. This EHR needs a complete overall!

Pros

The price for this EHR is phenomenal and BestNotes has the potential to be great. I like that you can add your own customized forms. The scripted treatment plan goals are better than most as they are measurable (but BestNotes did take some short cuts by simply repeating the same goals over and over).

Cons

As many users have been indicating since 2016, BestNotes is looks like something from the 1900's. Thus the systems uses a lot of odd symbols from the 1990's (such as a floppy disk).There seems to be no consistency with font size across pages. Some of the templates have typos. Minor clients that require parental signature consent forms is ridiculously complicated. They systems uses a lot of their own made up acronyms that are confusing. Many of the videos/self help guides are outdated or otherwise irrelevant. It is clunky, grossly outdated, has an ugly interface, and is not intuitive. This system is not web based, you have to download the software application on your computer, the client portal is practically useless since clients cant self schedule or pay a bill there, and have to contract with a third party for billing thereby increasing your costs. Sadly, the staff are nice enough but can be a bit condescending if you cant quickly make sense out of the madness that is BestNotes that they have normalized.

Response from BestNotes

Thanks for your feedback Michelle. I'm sorry you had such a painful experience. Respectfully, there are a few points that I would like to clarify. First, you mentioned that documentation can be confusing and clunky. It's true that BestNotes is customizable to a fault and we've taken some significant steps to make things easier. We hired a clinical director and after 3 years of Research/Development, we've released an entire set of behavioral health and addiction treatment focused documentation (from Admission to Discharge) that considers Joint Commission, CARF, Payer and common State/County regulations. The best part is that we keep this documentation updated for you. As regulations change, so does your documentation one less thing to worry about!
Unfortunately, Capterra only have gives us 1000 characters to reply to your feedback. Quickly, BestNotes is entirely web-based, includes a lot of internal billing tools and we haven't stopped developing our current version.

Russell R.

Loving Best Notes!

Reviewed on 2020/08/19

It has helped our business tremendously in terms of time saving and organization.

Pros

Our company was new to EHR and my staff was quite intimidated. The training and customer service was incredible. Very responsive and available. We especially like that they are willing to customize it for our particular business and we can upload our current forms. They also had a lot of already prepared documents that are accreditation approved.

Cons

We love it and don't have any complaints. I guess some visual graphic improvement would be the only thing I can think of.

Response from BestNotes

Thanks for your kind words and support Russell!

Mckinzee P.

BestNotes Review

Reviewed on 2020/10/26

Overall, this program has been a lifesaver to our organization so far and we look forward to the future with the system

Pros

One of the huge benefits of this system is the comprehensive reports section. The reports section has reports for any level of metric you can think of to track for your organization. Want to see the demographics of your clients? BestNotes can do it. How about reasons for client turnover? The system has a report for that as well.

You also have the rapid response from the support staff who usually can get back to you in about 1-2 hours after you submit a ticket, and in a lot of cases, it could be under an hour.

Cons

The thing I like the least has to be the fact that "Tags" are in the calendar section. This allows you to, if you are not careful, add the appointment to multiple user profiles. Once this occurs, it takes between 5 and 10 minutes to actually get the appointment to reopen to delete it.

Kassie H.

Very well rounded

Reviewed on 2019/08/02

I have been pleased with this program

Pros

This is not only an EMR, but also can be used for marketing data

Cons

There are many things that have to be done manually

John M.

Good Value for the money

Reviewed on 2020/01/03

Overall our organization has had a positive experience with best notes.

Pros

Software has a lot of features and when needed things print well. A good overall system for individuals notes

Cons

could be slightly smoother for documenting groups and interface could use an update. Nothing too negative overall.

Ari L.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Has become pure garbage

Reviewed on 2018/10/05

Used to be ok. Now with their support and better products out there, it’s WorstNotes “tm”

Pros

It’s cheap. It was great to use years ago. They were also a much better company years ago.

Cons

Same basic interface since day one. Zero updates. Hard to navigate. Customer support has become horrendous. Can only use from their program. Can’t use it on a phone because it isn’t web friendly, and their “app” does literally nothing.

Response from BestNotes

Hi Ari,
It pains me to hear that your experience with BestNotes was once great but became poor over time. Looking back at your use of BestNotes, it corresponds with an explosive period of growth we experienced. Indeed, our support team struggled during this time and we couldn't hire and train employees quick enough. This painful process has made us a much better company. We've overhauled the way we train employees and carefully watch forecasting metrics, so we can hire new teammates before we need them.
In addition, we have never stopped improving BestNotes by adding new features and improving the overall workflow. Unfortunately, we didn't do a good job communicating these new enhancements to end-users. Today, we are sending regular emails to System Administrators about updates, promoting new enhancements on the login screen and provide a live view of everything we are working on through a public facing Trello board.
I hope we can earn your trust back someday.

Jessica C.

Seems to be an older software.

Reviewed on 2018/07/27

I believe Best Notes could be more utilized if they would advance the technologies of the program to easily use and make edits.

Pros

When a patient is selected, all documents uploaded are listed on the right, but I am still able to create and select a folder on the left to see a list of the documents in that category.

Cons

The software doesn't seem to be upgrading with the advances in technology. I still find it hard to navigate and make edits to a document without it making an error in the formatting.

Donte P.

Bestnotes easy to use

Reviewed on 2020/11/13

It has been great

Pros

How easy it is use , it was very smooth transitioning from paper to digital

Cons

The mobile app doesn’t allow the same features as the desktop version

Quinci H.

BestNotes Review

Reviewed on 2016/12/01

BestNotes has been a good program to utilize for taking notes, organizing and tracking assessments, and keeping attendance. It's also nice you can customize some of the features for your company. I wish more features were able to be customized though and that some features would be fixed faster.

Gave It A Try

Reviewed on 2018/08/09

We are leaving Bestnotes to go with another company.

Pros

The look is promising. Not many other positives. Their online training tutorials are adequate.

Cons

The functionality is lacking. The eMAR is useless.

Response from BestNotes

I'm sorry to hear that BestNotes didn't exceed your expectations. I see that you used our online help site but did you know that BestNotes offers unlimited training and support with a real BestNotes employee?

I also want to point out that your experience is very similar to other users who were not part of the buy-in process for BestNotes. Ideally, important employees like you have the ability to demo BestNotes before purchase. This gives you the ability to see the natural work flow, ask questions and unpack unique scenarios that you face in daily work.

In addition, our eMAR is a relatively new product offering that we include for no extra fee. We are adding new features and enhancements regularly. We're lucky enough to have a group of customers who are eMAR experts to help with the design and work flow. We would love the opportunity to show you these new enhancements.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sheri N.

Best Customer Service and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2019/11/21

The calendar feature for all of our therapists to coordinate has been extremely helpful. The group notes are automatically placed in the client file and has saved countless hours.

Pros

After trying several EHR free trial offers, BestNotes provided the best price for my smaller business and was the most responsive in following-up in a timely and professional manner. An important feature is how customizable and flexible the software is, any form that we use is able to be incorporated into the system. The most impressive feature is the customer service. I felt overwhelmed and anxious about switching systems but [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] were extremely patient and explained every aspect that I needed, I never feel rushed or minimized. The software has features that organize our client files more throughly and efficiently.

Cons

I appreciate that BestNotes creates billing and invoices I wish I could submit claims through BestNotes.

Natsumi M.

User Friendly

Reviewed on 2021/01/28

Very good. Surely, I was nervous using it at the beginning, but my transition to this software was very smooth.

Pros

This software is very user friendly and BestNotes' Customer services are also very well trained. I love it!

Cons

I don't remember any difficulty to use this software. This was my first online Medical record software.

Christina B.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

"Bang for your Buck"

Reviewed on 2020/08/22

As an outpatient therapist, this system allows is so user friendly and to have the customer support to help make forms that was already in place and not charge is a wonderful experience.

Pros

This software allows you to easily navigate the system. Easy to understand and straight forward. Your able to still use your same consumer forms instead of paper its now electronic.

Cons

When we first started we were unable to send patient forms to clients. You can't bill directly from the system. 2019 North Carolina states we had to be able to exchange information to other companies and BestNotes did not allow that feature at that time.

Daniela D.

Work Notes are the BestNotes

Reviewed on 2020/12/15

My overall experience with BestNotes has so far been a positive one more than anything.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that there is an app for it. I think that this makes it so much better and accesible. I am able to get into clients’ charts with ease and leave notes without having to have my computer with me. I also think that it is very user friendly even if it does take some practice and playing around with it.

Cons

The thing I like least about this software is that there is a whole download of an app that has to be done on the actual computer which makes it hard to access from other computers/laptops.

Katie S.

BestNotes is worked wonderfully as an all inclusive EHR and Billing system when paired with...

Reviewed on 2018/05/22

Pros

I like that the software captures all claim data information and builds electronic HCFA 1500 claim forms with information input to BestNotes. This makes billing a seamless and streamlined process.

Cons

The software is susceptible to internet interruptions and can be slow loading from page to page. Certain client files and registers that are very large sometimes produce an error code when loading .

Robert C.

Perfect for what we use it for

Reviewed on 2018/07/19

I still currently use this daily.

Pros

Great way to organize patient files. It's easy to use and understand. Can be organized and separated by facilities (we bill for multiple facilities).

Cons

My biggest complaint is that the "quick list" only goes up to 7 and there isn't any customization to add lists. We use that to separate our facilities patients however we bill for more than 7 facilities.

Joe R.

Phenomenal Customer Service!

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

Our experience with BestNotes has been phenomenal. The best part of the experience has been the customer service. Customer executives are always available, extremely knowledgeable, and super-fast to respond. We are very excited about BestNotes Fresh!

Pros

Very intuitive, easily customizable, reasonably priced, unbelievable customer service.

Cons

API limitations, inability to auto-schedule report exports

Timothy W.

Good electronic health record!

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

I like this program, it helps keep patient details for clinically utility as well as administrative and liability purposes. I recommend it!

Pros

I used this software when working for an outpatient mental health facility. They appreciated the detail that the program allowed. It has a lot of functions associated with patient care.

Cons

The user interface is a little dated. It's not as aesthetically pleasing as other programs , however, that slow on the priority in terms of the positive teachers associated with its functional purpose.

Miriam G.
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

BestNotes offers many possibilities to users.

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Pros

The best thing that BestNotes has is that it is a multifunctional platform for users, offering the possibility that someone can edit my notes if I give them the authorization, and in this way, be able to have group notes within an organization or company.

Cons

I would like BestNotes to improve its design, since since I am using it, I have noticed that the design has never changed, it has always been the same, and that in particular, it bores all users, it should be much more varied and with colors Nicer.

Angela W.

Great training experience which makes things a lot smoother.

Reviewed on 2018/01/29

Pros

Once trained, it is very helpful and they make it unique to your documents and reports. There are lots of things to learn, but they take you through, step-by-step, and assign you homework so you can practice.

Cons

It is initially confusing, lots of different sections to worry about. Not really quick at returning general email questions. They are quick if you have a meeting with a trainer, but other than that their tickets are not answered promptly.

Cy M.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Competent but limited

Reviewed on 2016/10/05

This is a basic program that allows you yo manage clinical and medical date. I would be great in 1990. With so many new options Best Notes has suffered due to lack of innovation. They need to increase support on financials and billing and truly make a practice management software. Not just a paper chart that is happened to be on a computer

Pros

Easy to use and manage patients. Easy to learn.

Cons

Just a paper chart that happens to be digital. No intuitive ways to connect data. It is literally a paper chart the is on the computer. No billing component. Limit reports available (9 month lead time if you want your own special report). No real update on layout so looks like a 90s program

Rick H.

BestNotes provides the best possible CRM system for any behavioral healthcare company

Reviewed on 2015/03/26

I have experienced many customer relationship management systems over the years; time and time again BestNotes has proven to be our perfect CRM system. The BesNnotes platform is intuitive, resourceful and easy to navigate and use our data in the variety of productive ways. The BestNotes support team has an individualized investment in their customers and have consistently provided me with personal care through their valuable customer service and unmatched support for my company. From the Patient Portal to Outcome Tools, BestNotes provides the best integration of customer information. With all their services and support, BestNotes provides the best possible CRM system for any behavior healthcare company.

Mark S.

BestNotes lives up to its name.

Reviewed on 2016/07/11

BestNotes is by far the best EHR I have ever worked with. From their product to their excellent customer service, they deliver with professionalism and concern. They have even assisted us with Medicaid issues by contacting state office to expedite application issues.

Pros

The ease of use and full range of documents makes paperwork and billing a breeze for my staff.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

Eliza S.

Some Limitations

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

Pros

Very effective for making therapy notes and billing.

Cons

There are some limitations with creating a muti-hour booking.